presley31
04-18-2008, 02:43 AM
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_james_brown.html

Thought this was a interesting read.

cameron
04-18-2008, 03:51 AM
James Brown said of Elvis,
"I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother"

I think many men feel the same about Elvis. Thanks, Jen.
I always liked James Brown too. :)

Awickedreigndrop
04-18-2008, 04:34 AM
That is an interesting read! I remember hearing that James Brown sang with Elvis in Graceland.

toffe
04-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Thank you, interesting to read it!

Suspicious Minds
04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Is this the same James Brown?
This is Jim Brown I know.
I don't think it's the same person or is it?

KPM
04-18-2008, 09:57 PM
No thats Jim Brown the famous football player who played for the Cleveland Browns. He is an actor also. (he was in the Dirty Dozen among other things)
In 2002, he was named by The Sporting News as the greatest professional football player ever

beau stewart
04-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Are boy was the realy deeal thats why they were frends !!!!!!!!

TCB

Beau

TCB one more time
Igot my full size TCB RING TO DAY AS MY BIRTHDAY GIFT THANK YOU LITTEL MAMA

MojoElvis
04-19-2008, 03:20 AM
I heard that Elvis brushed James Brown off a few times.

Joe Car
04-19-2008, 03:49 AM

Don't believe it, never happened!

Tony Trout
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM

No thats Jim Brown the famous football player who played for the Cleveland Browns. He is an actor also. (he was in the Dirty Dozen among other things)
In 2002, he was named by The Sporting News as the greatest professional football player ever

Correct, they're two different people.

Don't believe it, never happened!

Actually, it did happen. The incident is mentioned in "RFTMM".

IMO, Elvis's acquaintances with these celebrities were just that---acquaintances. As with Tom Jones, I don't think Elvis was as big a fan of James as he (Brown) claims.

iamhekev
04-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Great singers tho.

Merry
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM

James Brown: "I wasn't just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was
good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a
hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at
Graceland. We sang 'Old Blind Barnabus' together, a gospel song. I
love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like
that soul brother."

Tony Trout
04-22-2008, 12:59 AM
James Brown: "I wasn't just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was
good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a
hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at
Graceland. We sang 'Old Blind Barnabus' together, a gospel song. I
love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like
that soul brother."

James apparently requested (and got) some time alone to view Elvis lying in state at Graceland. But, here's the incident in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" that I mentioned earlier in a post, as told by Marty Lacker:

We used to go to a club called, 'The Trip', in the Playboy building in L.A. We got Elvis to go there one night when jackie Wilson was there. That was the first time they met. Jackie kidded him saying, "People call me 'the black Elvis Presley'" because he always wore his hair in a pompadour.

Jackie was a fantastic guy and a gentleman. So Elvis invited him to the set of Double Trouble, which, again, was unusual because he just didn't invite people to the studio. We had a great time with him.

That night, Elvis went back to The Trip. It was the last night of Jackie's engagement there, and james Brown was opening the next day. When Jackie came offstage, the owner of the club, who was a friend of ours, brought over four bottles of champagne. Elvis didn't usually drink like that, but he wanted to toast Jackie, and he was having a good time.

In a little while, James Brown came over. He just barged in. And Elvis didn't like it. James didn't know Elvis and he was loud and trying to be the center of attention. Well, it killed the atmosphere but Elvis was polite. And James looked at Elvis and said, 'You know, I'm opening tomorrow night. I'm sure you'll be here." Well, the next day was a weekday and Elvis had to get up at 4:30 in the morning but Elvis looked at James and he said, "I'll do my best." and James pushed himself on Elvis. He said, "I know you'll be here."

The next night, me and Richard and Alan were going to go see James perform. Elvis wasn't about to go, so I asked him what I should tell James. Elvis said, "You got one of those watches?" I said, "Yeah".

Elvis had these watches made, where the start of David and the cross intertwined on the face every thirty seconds. I designed it and I kept all the extras in my room so Elvis said,' Give me some paper," and he wrote James a note that said, "Sorry I can't be there. I have to be up in the morning, and I hope you'll accept this gift. I wish you well on your show." And he signed it. That was the first time I ever saw him go to that kind of trouble.

James had two other people in his dressing room after his show and when he saw us he said, in this really abrasive tone, "Why didn't Elvis come?" I said, "He has to be up early int he morning." And James said, "*******, he came to see Jackie Wilson, and he won't come to see me!" I said, "He asked me if I would give this to you and tell you he's really sorry."

James opened up the box and he said, "Oh, yeah, that's nice." Like it was no big deal to him. And he read the note, and he put it back in the box and closed it and he slammed the box on his dressing room table and he said, "What's this watch?" I said, "Well, James, it's a unique watch and only the guys have them. Elvis wanted you to have one." I said, "If you'll take it out----" and I had one on my wrist, and Richard and Alan had theirs on and James looked over at me and said, "Well, it's nice you gave me a watch but where's theirs?" Meaning to two other guys who were in the room, both white guys. One was the pilot of his plane.

He was trying to minimize Elvis's gesture and make a fool out of me at the same time. So, without blinking an eye, I looked over at Alan and Richard. I said, "One of you, let me have your watch, and I'll replace it later." And I took mine off, too, and I have the watches to the pilot and the other guy.

James didn't know what to do then so he looked over at Alan, and he said, "How come Elvis still travels in a bus? I got my own airplane." I said, "Maybe he's just a litlte bit more comfortable in the bus. Some people like to fly, some people don't." And James said, "Well, if you want to be classy, and you're supposd to be number one, you fly. Here I am, flying around, and Elvis is riding the bus."

Just then, somebody brought in this little black kid. It was, like, midnight, and this kid, only ten or eleven years old, was in a nightclub. James started talking to him and he said, "You go to school? You don't get in any trouble, do you?" and the kid said, No, sir." James said, "You got a knife on you?" and the kid looked down at the floor and he said, "Yes, I do." And James said, "I'll tell you what. You give me that knife and I'll give you some money." and out of goodwill, I said, "And I'll give you something, too," because I couldn't see this little kid carrying a knife. And James looked up at me and said, "He don't need your **** money." And I said, "What?" He said, "I got money. I can take care of it." I said, "Fine."

We sat and talked for a while longer, and then we decided to to upstairs. Alan was going to get something to eat with James, and Richard and I were going back to the house. We were walking up this circular stairway, and James was right behind me. I turned around and said, "James, it's really a pleasure to meet you I enjoyed it, and I always love your music." And I was being sincere. He looked at me, and he said, "I don't want you to be that way, man. You know, all that **** was two hundred years ago." I looked at him and I was just dumbfounded.

I said, "James, what are you talking about?" He said, 'You know what I'm talking about." He meant slavery. Now, he had no idea whether I was prejudiced or not. He automatically assumed it because I'm white and because I lived in Tennessee. But that's James Brown. I told Elvis the next day and he just said, "**** him."

Down below that, here's a quote from Lamar Fike:

James Brown might have been ticked off that Elvis didn't come to his show. Or Marty might have rubbed him the wrong way---but James loved Elvis. He was the first guy who came to Elvis's wake. I answered the door. I said, "James, how are you doing?" He said, "Man, I've come to see him." And he sat down.

Who to believe? That's up to the reader.....

Merry
04-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks, Tony.

:)

Kim

Wendy56
04-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks Jess and Tony for the information. :flowers: