PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' Dentist

jon_burrows
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Here's a short interview with Lester Hoffman.

Lester Hoffman Interview (http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_lester_hoffman.shtml)

toffe
04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for sharing!

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Hummmmm:hmm:.....that was really interesting since the "chatter" had always been that Elvis had a crown fixed that night (15th) and had been given anesthetic. :blink: Makes me wonder what is true.

franny
04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes, Caroline I also heard that...:hmm: and why did Elvis go to the dentist at 10:30pm, isn't that kind of late, if it was just "a cleaning and check up"...

franny

SeeSeeRider777
04-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I believe this is what killed Elvis, the anesthetic mixed with all the meds he had in his system triggered the heart attack. Wilt Chamberlain died the same way.

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I believe this is what killed Elvis, the anesthetic mixed with all the meds he had in his system triggered the heart attack. Wilt Chamberlain died the same way.

We think alike. That had always been my thought, too. Didn't help to have another med in the mix. In my opinion the doc was CYA-ing. Can't be positive....but it is the way I am leaning.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/ephypsum.htm

The King's Queen
04-07-2008, 02:05 AM
We think alike. That had always been my thought, too. Didn't help to have another med in the mix. In my opinion the doc was CYA-ing. Can't be positive....but it is the way I am leaning.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/ephypsum.htm

:hmm: You may be right with this one Carole! ;)

TotallyInsane
04-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Well, let's subpoena Elvis' file and read it ourselves!!!! :lmfao::lmfao:

Broussey
04-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Yes, Caroline I also heard that...:hmm: and why did Elvis go to the dentist at 10:30pm, isn't that kind of late, if it was just "a cleaning and check up"...

franny

True franny but to elvis that was like 9 in the moring lol. He had a weird sleeping pattern

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 05:24 AM
"ELVIS Day by Day The Definitive Record of His Life and Music" by Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen... states on page 377 that Elvis had his teeth cleaned and a couple of small cavities filled on August 15th.

Previously I read he had a crown worked on and a temporary put on that night...but tonight searching I can't find that source. I did fine several websites that said Elvis had a cavity filled that night.

Another Elvis mystery...:hmm:

Should we subpoena Elvis' files at Lester Hoffman D.D.S. or Lester Hofman D.D.S., INSANE? :hmm: ;)...I have seen the dentist's name spelled both ways all over the net. :blink: (I tend to believe the one F spelling is correct)
Like everything Elvis.......... nothing is simple. :lol::lmfao::lol::lmfao:
To make matters even crazier I read the dentist is now deceased.

Don't know who James Warner is at All EXPERTS (maybe Tony Trout does)James states the EXACT tooth worked on that night. :supriced: AMAZING!!!:D
"OK, we all know that Elvis went to his dentist's office (Lester C. Hoffman) and had a tooth filled (upper right first bicuspid to be exact). He returned to Graceland and noticed that the dentist had given him six CODEINE tablets. OOPS! Elvis was allergic and spotted the problem. He called Dr. Nichopolous to get a prescription for a suitable alternative...Dilaudid. "X" is sent to a 24 hour pharmacy, called the Prescription Shoppe. Pharmacist Jack Kirsch fills the order."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Presley-Elvis-562/Elvis-death-1.htm

I probably would not be as curious :hmm: about this area of the August 15th/16th timeline if I had not been a dental assistant in my younger years. :D:D:D

Here is another Elvis dentist story...
http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=61864

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 05:42 AM
"ELVIS Day by Day The Definitive Record of His Life and Music" by Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen... states on page 377 that Elvis had his teeth cleaned and a couple of small cavities filled on August 15th.

Previously I read he had a crown worked on and a temporary put on that night...but tonight searching I can't find that source. I did fine several websites that said Elvis had a cavity filled that night.

Another Elvis mystery...:hmm:

Should we subpoena Elvis' files at Lester Hoffman D.D.S. or Lester Hofman D.D.S., INSANE? :hmm: ;)...I have seen the dentist's name spelled both ways all over the net. :blink: (I tend to believe the one F spelling is correct)
Like everything Elvis.......... nothing is simple. :lol::lmfao::lol::lmfao:
To make matters even crazier I read the dentist is now deceased.

Don't know who James Warner is at All EXPERTS (maybe Tony Trout does)James states the EXACT tooth worked on that night. :supriced: AMAZING!!!:D
"OK, we all know that Elvis went to his dentist's office (Lester C. Hoffman) and had a tooth filled (upper right first bicuspid to be exact). He returned to Graceland and noticed that the dentist had given him six CODEINE tablets. OOPS! Elvis was allergic and spotted the problem. He called Dr. Nichopolous to get a prescription for a suitable alternative...Dilaudid. "X" is sent to a 24 hour pharmacy, called the Prescription Shoppe. Pharmacist Jack Kirsch fills the order."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Presley-Elvis-562/Elvis-death-1.htm

I probably would not be as curious :hmm: about this area of the August 15th/16th timeline if I had not been a dental assistant in my younger years. :D:D:D

Here is another Elvis dentist story...
http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=61864

Carole....how often was Dilaudid prescribed for a filling???:hmm::hmm::hmm:

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 07:01 AM
True franny but to elvis that was like 9 in the moring lol. He had a weird sleeping pattern

True....he had his days and nights switched.

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 07:59 AM

I don't remember :hmm: the dentists I worked for back in the 70's ever prescribing Dilaudid ......or even Codeine very often unless a really tough extraction or other heavy dental work.
I remember :hmm: Darvacet being the med most often prescribed for pain at the office where I worked.

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-07-2008, 09:13 AM
One thing for sure is I would prefer to pay the prices from 1977 than today.

I am having a crown put in next week and it is costing me 190.00 ($377.00) or (240.00 Euro's) :doh:I think they will almost certainly need to be prescribing something strong before they extract that cash from me :lol:

rickb
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
nice article and good to hear positive things about Elvis circa 77
Rick

cameron
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
In the book, Death of Elvis, Dr Hoffman said he gave Elvis one pain pill at his office and one when he left . {he doesn't say what}

Tony Trout
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Not to turn this discussion in another direction but....Elvis's only use of Dilaudid wasn't just for pain....

In the book, Death of Elvis, Dr Hoffman said he gave Elvis one pain pill at his office and one when he left . {he doesn't say what}

That's correct, Cameron.

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
One thing for sure is I would prefer to pay the prices from 1977 than today.

I am having a crown put in next week and it is costing me 190.00 ($377.00) or (240.00 Euro's) :doh:I think they will almost certainly need to be prescribing something strong before they extract that cash from me :lol:

:lmfao::lmfao: I can relate....EVERY one of my teeth with the exception of a couple are crowned. And....I had NO dental insurance.:supriced::supriced::supriced:

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't remember :hmm: the dentists I worked for back in the 70's ever prescribing Dilaudid ......or even Codeine very often unless a really tough extraction or other heavy dental work.
I remember :hmm: Darvacet being the med most often prescribed for pain at the office where I worked.

That's what I was thinking, that's why I asked. I have had several root canals done and only if I'm dying will the Dentist call in a few Darvocet. Wasn't Dilaudid used for terminal cancer patients??

Tony Trout
04-07-2008, 05:42 PM
That's what I was thinking, that's why I asked. I have had several root canals done and only if I'm dying will the Dentist call in a few Darvocet. Wasn't Dilaudid used for terminal cancer patients??

Yes, it was. Elvis didn't need the Dilaudid at all.

Darvocet is strong but the body can (and does, unfortunately) build up a tolerance for it after a while.....I know from first-hand experience, sadly.

U.S. Male
04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Some wonderful stories, thanks for sharing :D

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, it was. Elvis didn't need the Dilaudid at all. *refrains from making any further comments*

We all know Elvis didn't need Dilaudid, he only thought that he did. I don't guess he had a single Dr. that wouldn't give him what he wanted.:blink::blush::blink:

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Some wonderful stories, thanks for sharing :D

BBM....PLEASE change your avatar, that's making me entirely too hungry.:lol::lol:

Tony Trout
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't guess he had a single Dr. that wouldn't give him what he wanted.:blink::blush::blink:

You're correct with that statement, Ma'am.

BBM....PLEASE change your avatar, that's making me entirely too hungry.

I agree....*hee hee*....that looks delicious!! *licks lips*

cameron
04-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes, it was. Elvis didn't need the Dilaudid at all.

Dilaudid wasn't found according to the tox report .
But, neither was codeine in the first urine test Sexton had done.
Interesting the different reports one can find. :blink:

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 07:11 PM

In my opinon....You would not give anything for a simple dental cleaning. At least I have never heard of giving anything for a basic dental cleaning. Elvis seemed to take care of his teeth so any cleaning he had would just be a basic one, and I don't know why if it was an appointment only for a cleaning that it would be put off till the last minute like that.:hmm: That is why I lean towards the idea that Elvis, at very least, had a tooth filled that night (or more).... and Dr. Hofman is just CYA-ing in that interview.... saying he only did a cleaning. Not to disparage all dentists... but since I worked for a few I know that many are quite good at CYA. ;)

REDLO
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I Believed They Called Him "dr Feelgood" !!

cameron
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
In my opinon....You would not give anything for a simple dental cleaning. At least I have never heard of giving anything for a basic dental cleaning. Elvis seemed to take care of his teeth so any cleaning he had would just be a basic one, and I don't know why if it was an appointment only for a cleaning that it would be put off till the last minute like that.:hmm: That is why I lean towards the idea that Elvis, at very least, had a tooth filled that night (or more).... and Dr. Hofman is just CYA-ing in that interview.... saying he only did a cleaning. Not to disparage all dentists... but since I worked for a few I know that many are quite good at CYA. ;)

I think Dr Hoffman said differtly in other interviews.
It was more than cleaning. There was an interview he did on You Tube .
Don't know if it's still there or not.

utmom2008
04-07-2008, 08:06 PM

That's what I was thinking as well. This is the first time I've heard the story about him wanting Ginger to get her teeth fixed and straightened.:hmm::hmm: Here is another example of what should be an easy answer becoming complicated. What is so hard about the question....what procedure did he have and did you give him any pain meds or not??? I agree....I believe there is alot of CYA with this story.:blink::unsure::unsure::blink:

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. This is the first time I've heard the story about him wanting Ginger to get her teeth fixed and straightened.:hmm::hmm: Here is another example of what should be an easy answer becoming complicated. What is so hard about the question....what procedure did he have and did you give him any pain meds or not??? I agree....I believe there is alot of CYA with this story.:blink::unsure::unsure::blink:

I agree...why not keep the story straight truth plain and simple. It sure would be nice if the people around Elvis could tell a story and keep to it. :blink::blink::blink:

SweetCaroline
04-07-2008, 08:22 PM

There or not...I totally believe you, Cameron. That is why we are getting so many variations from others who have picked up on the different versions of the dental visit story now. :(

Tony Trout
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Dilaudid wasn't found according to the tox report .
But, neither was codeine in the first urine test Sexton had done.
Interesting the different reports one can find. :blink:

You're right. Dialudid wasn't found...but he did use it.

I Believed They Called Him "dr Feelgood" !!

"Dr. Feelgood" was Max Shapiro out of Las Vegas, NV.

presley31
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree...why not keep the story straight truth plain and simple. It sure would be nice if the people around Elvis could tell a story and keep to it. :blink::blink::blink:

couldn't agree with you more carole, no wonder its hard not knowing the turth about things if people keep changing there stories time and time again.

cameron
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
You're right. Dialudid wasn't found...but he did use it.

Well, since you obviously were there and seen him take it.
I have nothing else to say about all this. :hmm:

Tony Trout
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, since you obviously were there and seen him take it.

I didn't see him take it (obviously) but it's been documented (specifically in 'Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia') that Dilaudid became Elvis's favorite drug to use.

cameron
04-08-2008, 12:46 AM
I didn't see him take it (obviously) but it's been documented (specifically in 'Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia') that Dilaudid became Elvis's favorite drug to use.

Of course, how could I forget them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lmfao::lmfao:

Tony Trout
04-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Of course, how could I forget them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lmfao::lmfao:

They were there, Cameron. None of us were.

utmom2008
04-08-2008, 02:37 AM
It was new. As anything new goes, it wears off. The guys didn't see everything. They couldn't. Were they in the bathroom? Were they in the bedroom? What about the times alone in the bedroom?
Were they in the bedroom when female company was present? There were plenty of times they didn't know about. They remember certain events and somehow they think it occurred all the time. Lot's they don't know.

Hi TiredOldMan.:) What has happened to your previous posts? I remember you had that comment that everyone loved about Elvis growing old with someone....why have they disappeared?:blink::blink:

cameron
04-08-2008, 11:24 AM
They were there, Cameron. None of us were.

Not everyone are fans of the MM. ;)
To quote from one review :

......"Billy Smith, Elvis' first cousin, was far more sympathetic in his revelations than Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker, and it was good that where Fike and Lacker's details were either sketchy or in half truth and sometimes untrue, Billy elaborated on the truth about the real Elvis .
To Elvis, I say, Mister Presley, I would have been mad too.' If you are an enemy of Elvis, you will enjoy this book, but if you are a die-hard Elvis fan like myself, you will be offended. "

I remember that's where I first heard the story of Elvis planning to fake his death too. Sorry, I don't think those guys are credible.
By some of their own admissions; they were taking drugs as much or more than Presley was . How can they remember a thing?

cameron
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM

That interview I'm talking about is on the DVD , "The Last 24 Hours ."
I'm not going to quote it as IMO, some things were taken out of context.It seems to be just a small part of the interview that's posted. I'm not sure who got his interview first . :blink: