PDA

View Full Version : Tickle Me

Deke Rivers
09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
[I wanted to gather these together and find out everyone's opinion on the Disc Label I did; as I am new to this I wanted to make sure that I did nothing wrong with the design of it. I want to thank Albert for all of your advice as well as everyone elses. I will try and zip these and move them to the completed area after some feedback. Thanks for all the compliments. Everyone is making me feel truly welcome!]
I am working on covers for a 5 inch version of the "Tickle Me Soundtrack" in the style of The new 7 inch FTD upgrades. I have done some alternate covers for myself before but this is my first Attempt from scratch. I am using Paint Shop Pro and I am not totally comfortable with it yet but I am slowly but surely getting there (pardon the pun ;) ) I want to thank Nightrider for pointing me here. I hope everyone enjoys the covers and if anyone can give me pointers I would appreciate them. I have not designed a logo yet for my creations but it will be from "Galahad Graphics". I hope to have the back cover and insert finished shortly. Also, this is my first post. It took me a while to get the covers uploaded; 3rd time is the charm! What size and dpi and extension should I use for best results?
Deke Rivers

NightRider
09-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Great to finally see you on here my friend....this is the place to be as i'm sure you will discover (y)
Great cover debut so far too....very nice work....i think you have posted it about the right size for a nice preview.

Look forward to seeing the finished design (y)

spinout-designs
09-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Certainly an authentic design - and very nice too, but isn't the photo on the front cover from Clambake :hmm:

'Yeah, now go Deke, go' (welcome aboard) (y)

mn-designs
09-18-2004, 01:54 AM
First of all: welcome to the tcb-world! :D
Nice design you made there, as unchained said: could be a ftd cover.
Good job! (y)

Elvis42
09-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Deke,
Welcome to TCB-World :D Nice covers you have there, looking real good. Can't wait to see the finished design.
J.C.

Deke Rivers
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Yes you are correct Spinout; it is a publicity still from "Clambake". I did not have a good color publicity shot from "Tickle Me" and I figure that never stopped RCA from making a cover before....LOL. I do wish I had more color pics from "Tickle Me".

Also, does anyone have some hints or suggestions for adding text/track titles and such to covers that are created in Paint Shop Pro. So far I am not pleased with the results at all. I have the back cover for the jewel case created but I am having problems with the look of the text. No matter what font I use it does not appear sharp and legible or natural (looks as if I put it in an old type writer and typed it on after the fact.
Thanks,
Deke

spinout-designs
09-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi Deke,

You are right, about it not always having been the correct photo :lol: (Paradise Hawaiian Style anyone).

As far as your 'jaggy text' issue, sounds as if you may have run into the same little problem as Kenny ;)

When you type in your text, there should be some kinda check box (or a drop down list in the case of Photoshop) that says 'anti alias' on your software .................... that setting smooths out the fonts, give that a try.

Sorry, I am not familiar with Paint Shop Pro itself so I can't be more helpful at this stage.

spinout-designs
09-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Also, if you mean when you print it out, then that could well be down to the resolution of your design being too low.

To design a cover that prints clear text you should use a setting of at least 200 dpi.

Hope that helps.

Deke Rivers
09-23-2004, 02:43 AM
After hours and days of messing with fonts and printing out nothing that pleased me I have a decent back cover. There are two goofs on it but I can live with that for now I suppose. I also had problems of the 200 dpi 15cm by 11.7cm design being too big to upload. What did I do wrong? I have tried resizing but had to go to much lower dpi. Also in order to get the fonts acceptable I had to put them on in a program other than Paint Shop Pro. So, what's everyone think? [See Above]

buttonhead
09-23-2004, 04:26 AM
welcome aboard deke :D
i like the movie soundtrack covers you did, its wonderful..
except on the part when the copyrights are, its kind of make the small spot in the back covers look 'busy',...i know its important to put on, make them smaller will do no harm, just my one cent worth of opinion.. overall its perfect artwork. (y) (y)

NightRider
09-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi Deke,
Cool work there my friend...very good looking backcover...turning into a very nice set (y)

AronNL
09-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I think the back cover is great now!.

The front cover is to red, I think. If you could do it like the the new LP release it all fits better togheter.

Cheers!.

Deke Rivers
09-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I did a simple inlay for a clear jewel case. I thought this would add to the overall presentation. [See Above]

Albert
09-23-2004, 05:00 PM
What size and dpi and extension should I use for best results?
Deke RiversHi Deke... Man, what an entrance: starting your first post with such a great design. Fantastic (y)

For previewing designs, you'd better use 96dpi (or 72dpi) resolution and around 500 pixels width. This way everyone can see it in good screenquality, and you don't need to upload big sized files.

Once you've decided that you're ready with the design, you should use 180dpi at least. Since the files are too big to be attached, you might need to zip them (with winrar or winzip). Final designs can be posted in the 'alternate artwork gallery' forum (and are most of the time acompanied by a small presentation of front/back/inlay.

Deke Rivers
09-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Albert, I truly appreciate your kind words. I suppose since I have added the disc label that it is about time to relocate them. Nightrider...you have inspired me with your work and so has Spinout. I hope to do at least one fantastic cover in the vein of some I have seen on here and from you guys.

NightRider
09-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Albert, I truly appreciate your kind words. I suppose since I have added the disc label that it is about time to relocate them. Nightrider...you have inspired me with your work and so has Spinout. I hope to do at least one fantastic cover in the vein of some I have seen on here and from you guys.

You are very welcome my friend, and you should be very proud of your work....excellent job :clap: