PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Overated as a musician????

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
:angry: Elvis had an exceptional ear for music and arrangements; he played guitar, drums and piano fairly well.
That guitar you first hear in ?That?s alright mama? Elvis is playing that.
The electric bass guitar on Treat me Nice, that?s Elvis playing that, his own bassist Bill Black, an experienced player of the stand up bass, couldn?t get the hang of it. But Elvis was able to.
That slow shuffle you hear on the drums in ?I Was The One,? Elvis had DJ Fontana add that to create the sound he was looking for the, the sound he imagined in his mind of how the song would be.
Lets talk about ?Heartbreak Hotel,?
Elvis did not write it,Mae Axton gave him this song;
RCA did not want this to be Elvis first release.
Elvis wanted it, he arranged it, and he created the sound that you hear on the record.
Listen to the Million Dollar Quartet, it is clearly Elvis who runs the show, singing, playing the guitar and the piano, Jerry Lee was just along for the ride. There are many other songs from the 50?s to the 60?s to the 70?s.
Elvis, unlike Chuck and Little Richard, always showed respect for his fellow artists, Elvis would always say, there is room for everyone.
As far the title ?King?, Elvis never liked it, he said their was only one king, Jesus Christ, you can blame the public and media for proclaiming him that, not like some other self proclaimed kings.

TCB..
Wade ( HRH )

Albert
09-15-2004, 04:21 PM
As far the title ?King?, Elvis never liked it, he said their was only one king, Jesus Christ, you can blame the public and media for proclaiming him that, not like some other self proclaimed kings.

TCB..
Wade ( HRH )

This more or less sums up Elvis personality :!:

Lonniebealestreet
09-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Perhaps you meant to say underrated then, Wade?

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I was using " overated as a musician ? " as thread bait...

Lonniebealestreet
09-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Gotcha. :)

Elvis42
09-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Wade,
All of what you wrote is so true. As for Mae Axton (Country star Hoyt Axtons' mother) giving Elvis "Heartbreak Hotel" I believe that is true, but I believe that any other time Elvis was given song writing credits, it was the Colonels idea. (Otis Blackwell's songs are a good example) I don't believe for a minute that Elvis ever said give me song writing credit or I won't record the song. He just wanted to make music. As for his ear for music and arrangement there are plenty of good examples. The 2001 intro into C.C. Rider is one and if you play attention to TTWII you will see him arranging "Bridge Over Troubled Water" where he points out that he wants certain backup singers (the male voices for example) to accentuate certain parts of the song. I also believe that it has been stated over and over that at his very first RCA recording session it was clear who was in charge and who knew what they wanted from each song and it was Steve Sholes LOL. Just my 2 cents worth.

J.C.

TCE
09-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Wade. No one could have said it more clear! Elvis was in one word a miracle I think and maybe he knew it. I heard about a story that elvis had a vision a couple of times in his early years. In that vision he saw a man in white. As he became older he realized he had seen himself. I don't know if this is another so called "true" story, but I liked it and I believe his first girlfriend told it.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

buttonhead
09-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Wade, i think that we got to see elvis being call as a KING on the way he was as a musician,...for more better words an entertainer,...he might not enjoyed being call that way but he always giving so much pleasure to his fan on every shows he made, thats why they call him as a KING..King in Music.
BTW , he cant be called as underrated musician as you were saying to lonniebealestreet, wake up...the man has sold more than one billion records ... (h)

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
I believe that Elvis was/is the King...not of just Rock and Roll..but the King of all music..He not only changed music as we know it...but changed society as a whole....
There is an Elvis influence in almost every aspect of entertainment...

The segment at the end of "Aloha,From Hawaii"...where Elvis gets down on one knee,thrusts both fists in the air...stands up...someone hands him a CROWN...he grasps it as he exits the stage....it's breathtaking..
I've watched and analyzed this footage 100's of times...

It's a "PERFECT" moment...
I've never seen one better..
every other entertainer pales in the SHADOW of ELVIS...especially in ALOHA..