PDA

View Full Version : CD: TCB Band Recording With Elvis (modern day)

U.S. Male
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I'd like to pose this question to you all.

Would you like to see BMG produce a cd that contains Elvis' original vocal track, along with the remaining members of the TCB Band, and with other people who recorded with Elvis (Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana, Jery Reed, et..) ????

Would you all like to have a product like this? :hmm:

goodelvisgirl
02-28-2008, 09:08 PM
mmm not sure on that one

my boy
02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I would prefer the original recordings because I don't think they can be improved on!

rocknroll
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I would prefer the original recordings because I don't think they can be improved on!

I concur.(y)

keke23
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
No. They need to go with some younger producers and musicians.

Make it hip, but keep the originality, like with ALLC.

Give his music a modern sound.

KPM
02-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Would you like to see BMG produce a cd that contains Elvis' original vocal track, along with the remaining members of the TCB Band, and with other people who recorded with Elvis (Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana, Jery Reed, et..) ????

Well the Elvis of 1955 did not have a sound of the Elvis in 1970, or 60, or 65 etc.. I would not mind hearing these guys update the backing tracks at least they did play with Elvis.

KPM
02-28-2008, 11:04 PM

IMO that was a special case. It already sounded like a rap to start with so it was easy to build a new arrangement around the original beat. Not many Elvis
songs are going to be like that.

LORRIELOVESELVIS
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Thats what you call----ELVIS TCB!!(y):D

utmom2008
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I concur.(y)
:lol::lol: I concur with rocknroll.(y)(y)

beckyelvis1
02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I think it would be interesting to hear something like that, I'd be open to the idea, yes (y)

KPM
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
:lol::lol: I concur with rocknroll.(y)(y)
Well you probably can never make them better than the originals-but its always nice to hear a little something different. ALLC grew on me after I heard it on the radio a few times. Rubbernickin just did not seem as good to me.
The song and who is involved are very very important. Some think every song is ripe for a remix or revamp and its just not true. ALLC was a little known track to most people (even some less informed or newer fans) so it was almost like new to them. But you can't remix Hound Dog or Don't Be Cruel etc....IMO But I'm open to the idea of remixes. The originals will never go away.:blush:

U.S. Male
02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Well nothing could ever beat the original sound found on all the albums. (y)

I was just thinking that it might be interesting to hear a studio version of Elvis' hits while being backed up by the guys (and ladies) that worked with him in the past.

Have sort of a "modern" sound to it, but using the same style & arrangements as used on the original versions.

Perhaps something like this would get more people interested in him..you think? :hmm:

EP75
02-29-2008, 12:28 AM

After seeing and hearing them perform on the 25th Anniversary show that is now on DVD, their sound is more aged than the original sound has. Listen to James guitar solo on Burning Love from 1973 and then listen to the 2002 (or 2997) version. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I do agree that not all EP songs can work in a remix. I don't want them to do a full album of dance remixes. That would be short lived and would be only popular to dance clubs. You would never be able to get those songs on main stream radio..

However, there's enough (out of 1,000 or so) recordings by EP that could work and that would be enough to fill an entire CD of "new" songs. You could take unknown hidden gems like You'll Think Of Me, Long Black Limousine, Any Day Now, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road, Mary In The Morning, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Just Pretend, I'm Leavin', Always On My Mind, Pieces Of My Life, Bringing It Back, etc, etc and create a whole new arrangment and sound. Think American Idol contestants today taking those same songs and putting their own spin on them. It would be considered "new" to a modern day audience and would sell big. Now imagine if they took those same songs into the studio, stripped the backing tracks, and laid down bran new modern contemporary pop sounding tracks with EP's legendary vocals more up front as if he were doing it in modern day time?

And please nobody bring up the outdated Guitar Man LP from 27 years ago that it's already been done once. This would be completely different from how Jarvis did it back then.:mad:

Jungleroom76
02-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Definitely an interesting idea....I'd be interested in hearing it!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

TCBnAflash
02-29-2008, 02:38 AM

I feel the same way. (y)

KPM
02-29-2008, 10:48 PM
After seeing and hearing them perform on the 25th Anniversary show that is now on DVD, their sound is more aged than the original sound has. Listen to James guitar solo on Burning Love from 1973 and then listen to the 2002 (or 2997) version. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I do agree that not all EP songs can work in a remix. I don't want them to do a full album of dance remixes. That would be short lived and would be only popular to dance clubs. You would never be able to get those songs on main stream radio..

However, there's enough (out of 1,000 or so) recordings by EP that could work and that would be enough to fill an entire CD of "new" songs. You could take unknown hidden gems like You'll Think Of Me, Long Black Limousine, Any Day Now, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road, Mary In The Morning, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Just Pretend, I'm Leavin', Always On My Mind, Pieces Of My Life, Bringing It Back, etc, etc and create a whole new arrangment and sound. Think American Idol contestants today taking those same songs and putting their own spin on them. It would be considered "new" to a modern day audience and would sell big. Now imagine if they took those same songs into the studio, stripped the backing tracks, and laid down bran new modern contemporary pop sounding tracks with EP's legendary vocals more up front as if he were doing it in modern day time?

And please nobody bring up the outdated Guitar Man LP from 27 years ago that it's already been done once. This would be completely different from how Jarvis did it back then.:mad:
Being the Devils Advocate-what catagory of music would these fit in-even if remixed and updated. Easy Listening, Country? They would still never be main stream 2008 pop. Its just not so easy to remix-you have to have a goal for where you want this played and for an age group. Its much more complex than just saying it needs to be done. I think the most viable place to try to place new ELvis music would be country.

waymore44
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
The only kind of new backing tracks that I can see working against Elvis's vocals that could be isolated (late 60's - on) would basically be country. At least that's the only format that it would not sound contrived in. Today's country musicians can play anything. I agree that a lot of it can't be improved upon as far as the performance, but recording techniques are so much better now that the sound would be improved upon. Think about songs like "We Can Make The Morning". That recording sounds really bad but it's a great performance. If the sound were updated it could compete with anything on the radio today.

EP75
03-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Being the Devils Advocate-what catagory of music would these fit in-even if remixed and updated. Easy Listening, Country? They would still never be main stream 2008 pop. Its just not so easy to remix-you have to have a goal for where you want this played and for an age group. Its much more complex than just saying it needs to be done. I think the most viable place to try to place new ELvis music would be country.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but you are obviously out of touch with today's music market. Country has a limited audience. Pop does not. Anything that is likable and fits in with the times is considered "Pop" music. Watch American idol. That is the sound of today and what kids are listening to and buying. 31 million tuned in last night to see those unknown singers put their own touch to classic 70's music. They made those songs sound fresh and alive without trying to make it "hip" or hip hop flavor or sound karaoke. It was done with a contemporary pop style. Those songs I listed could work in different fashions and styles of different musical genres. For instance-Any Day Now. That could be reworked to fit a Bono style of Rock tune. True Love Travels On A Gravel Road could be reworked to fit a modern day pop soul ballad for radio. Pieces of My Life could be a modern day #1 Country hit. Always On My Mind could be done with a slower tempo and be a modern day love song classic-all over again. C.C.Rider could even be reworked to fit a rock-dance remix. Not all songs can be reworked or remixed to appeal to today's standards. But a large majority of his back catalog could be reworked to an upgraded level. When Bob Sillerman was quoted last year as saying "new music IS coming in the next 5 years" I am 90% certain that he meant "new" as in new backings and new styles and arrangements. Not dance techno beat remixes. There's a limited audience for those types too. But there's no limit to modern day contemporary styles.

Now for aiming EP at just a Country audience would be a huge mistake. They did that in the 80's and 90's and look where it got them? EP didn't become "hip" or "cool" again or to the kids of today until the remix of A Little Less Conversation was playing on the radio and in the dance clubs. Aiming a new and fresh sounding EP to the American Idol audience would be the best and the ideal option for the future. Last year it was on American Idol that EP made his virtual TV appearance and topped the Itunes download charts the next day and had everybody talking about EP and asking "how did they do that?". Now if that had been on CMT or VH1, there's no way it would have garnered all of the positive publicity it got from that one show.

Bob Sillerman OWNS both EP and Idol. that's why it would make perfect sense to have this year's female finalists or the best of the past few years (Tamyra Gray, Kelly Clarkson, etc) to work as an all star backup group for a new sounding EP CD. Idol fans of those artists would flock to the stores to buy it since those stars are singing on it, and out of curiosity. It would be killer promotion just by having Idol tied in with a new EP CD and RCA wouldn't have to spend the money on it. Another thing that could work if money is an issue with the record company. Bob Sillerrman also owns the Idol label, 19 Entertainment. Since it is a branch of RCA, FXS could get a new EP CD released under 19 Entertainment in a deal with RCA as a "Special projects" release.

EP75
03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
The only kind of new backing tracks that I can see working against Elvis's vocals that could be isolated (late 60's - on) would basically be country. At least that's the only format that it would not sound contrived in. Today's country musicians can play anything. I agree that a lot of it can't be improved upon as far as the performance, but recording techniques are so much better now that the sound would be improved upon. Think about songs like "We Can Make The Morning". That recording sounds really bad but it's a great performance. If the sound were updated it could compete with anything on the radio today.

We Can Make The Morning is NOT a Country song. Maybe you mean Early Morning Rain? Now that could work for Country radio.

cameron
03-01-2008, 05:33 PM

The TCB Band seems to be doing their own thing and welcomed throughout the world. They may be old to some. but there are still many that welcome them with open arms.
http://tcbfanclub.com/index.php

They've been busy .A friend of mine traveled with them to many places and sent pictures and reviews. They do alright.
Go have a listen. :) (y)

SleepyJack
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Not sure about this one...sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn`t.What I would like to see would be an album of lesser-known songs with small improvements to the backing tracks,whether it be with the tcb band or not.I remember some time back hearing the "Elvis revisited" album.....and some songs benifited greatly from just a few changes.......one that really surprised me was the re-make of "Starting tonight"....I could hardly bear listening to the original but this new version breathed new life into it....I know that doesn`t really answer the question but...well...my brain is all over the place today!

U.S. Male
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Making the songs sound "hip hop ish" like they did with Baby Lets Play House is total PANTS imo.

However, remaking them in the style & fashion they were originally sone (just have upadted instrumentation) might be a worthy project for BMG.

KPM
03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument here but you are obviously out of touch with today's music market. Country has a limited audience. Pop does not. Anything that is likable and fits in with the times is considered "Pop" music. Watch American idol. That is the sound of today and what kids are listening to and buying. 31 million tuned in last night to see those unknown singers put their own touch to classic 70's music. They made those songs sound fresh and alive without trying to make it "hip" or hip hop flavor or sound karaoke. It was done with a contemporary pop style. Those songs I listed could work in different fashions and styles of different musical genres. For instance-Any Day Now. That could be reworked to fit a Bono style of Rock tune. True Love Travels On A Gravel Road could be reworked to fit a modern day pop soul ballad for radio. Pieces of My Life could be a modern day #1 Country hit. Always On My Mind could be done with a slower tempo and be a modern day love song classic-all over again. C.C.Rider could even be reworked to fit a rock-dance remix. Not all songs can be reworked or remixed to appeal to today's standards. But a large majority of his back catalog could be reworked to an upgraded level. When Bob Sillerman was quoted last year as saying "new music IS coming in the next 5 years" I am 90% certain that he meant "new" as in new backings and new styles and arrangements. Not dance techno beat remixes. There's a limited audience for those types too. But there's no limit to modern day contemporary styles.

Now for aiming EP at just a Country audience would be a huge mistake. They did that in the 80's and 90's and look where it got them? EP didn't become "hip" or "cool" again or to the kids of today until the remix of A Little Less Conversation was playing on the radio and in the dance clubs. Aiming a new and fresh sounding EP to the American Idol audience would be the best and the ideal option for the future. Last year it was on American Idol that EP made his virtual TV appearance and topped the Itunes download charts the next day and had everybody talking about EP and asking "how did they do that?". Now if that had been on CMT or VH1, there's no way it would have garnered all of the positive publicity it got from that one show.

Bob Sillerman OWNS both EP and Idol. that's why it would make perfect sense to have this year's female finalists or the best of the past few years (Tamyra Gray, Kelly Clarkson, etc) to work as an all star backup group for a new sounding EP CD. Idol fans of those artists would flock to the stores to buy it since those stars are singing on it, and out of curiosity. It would be killer promotion just by having Idol tied in with a new EP CD and RCA wouldn't have to spend the money on it. Another thing that could work if money is an issue with the record company. Bob Sillerrman also owns the Idol label, 19 Entertainment. Since it is a branch of RCA, FXS could get a new EP CD released under 19 Entertainment in a deal with RCA as a "Special projects" release.
Check out who are filling the stadiums in the US? Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill all in country music.
Top selling artists of the last 2 decades
Top-selling artists, 1991 - 2007
Garth Brooks 67,402,000
Beatles 55,695,000
Mariah Carey 49,937,000
Celine Dion 49,692,000
Metallica 48,670,000
George Strait 39,171,000
Tim McGraw 36,413,000
Alan Jackson 35,266,000
Pink Floyd 34,453,000
Shania Twain 33,531,000
Out of the ten 4 are country artists hmmm.
I do know some about music (I have played in bands- my brother has opened for Kenny Chesney, Tanya Tucker, Ronnie Milsap, TG Sheppard, Ray Stevens, and others)Todays country is not country IMO, it is more like the rock and pop of the late 60s and into the 70s. So the music you named by Elvis would fit in well in the country of today.
I am not trying to argue either-as I said the rhymn of ALLC and Rubberneckin were almost hip hop or rap sounding to start. I have stated my case and it seems logical.
If BMG saw a huge potential market for new huge hits by Elvis-with remixes country, pop, whatever-they would be doing them every year. I just think we want the impossible-to turn a dead artist into a new phenom. We are going to see spikes in Elvis's career but to expect a "sustained current record career" which tops the charts is just no longer possible. IMO
As a side note I do not watch American Idol-it is repulsive to me because it is creating falsely which should happen naturally to be authentic. Its a great gimmick in this world of reality TV. It shows how easy it is to make a star.

My kids are 21, 23, and 25 I know what pop music is today. My daughters like Dave Mathews, Alicia Keys and Amy Winehouse (this month)

cameron
03-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I just think we want the impossible-to turn a dead artist into a new phenom. We are going to see spikes in Elvis's career but to expect a "sustained current record career" which tops the charts is just no longer possible. IMO

I agree with this .....and I don't watch American Idol either .

Sorry, but I can't stand hip hop , rap etc. I rode all the way to K.C. with my son-in-law having that stuff going and got an awful headache. :blink:
I swore I'd walk home before riding back with them.
{he used his earphones back}

KPM
03-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I want to say I wish I was wrong. I wish that we had remixes every year which top the charts and draw young fans. But it is just not going to happen.
ALLC was used in a hit movie Oceans 11-ALLC was a worldwide hit-yet it did not go gold. ALLC was liked by many young fans around the world-but the spike in Elvis's record sales was nothing compared to "todays current live artists" (country, hip hop, pop whatever) We can say what we think BMG or EPE should do, but if it does not sell to match the production and promotion costs and sell big-its not going to happen. MTV and VH-1 will not play Elvis videos. They spent some money making the Rubberneckin video (with Elvis in in) and I never saw it anywhere except on You Tube. Realistically you can not promote a dead artist as if he is hip, current, and up to date.
I have long wanted a Duets album but many fans don't want to see that done. I think McCartney, Springstein, Bono, BB King, Dave Mathews to name a few- would be perfect to Duet with Elvis. Some people just don't want it.

EP75
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I want to say I wish I was wrong. I wish that we had remixes every year which top the charts and draw young fans. But it is just not going to happen.
ALLC was used in a hit movie Oceans 11-ALLC was a worldwide hit-yet it did not go gold. ALLC was liked by many young fans around the world-but the spike in Elvis's record sales was nothing compared to "todays current live artists" (country, hip hop, pop whatever) We can say what we think BMG or EPE should do, but if it does not sell to match the production and promotion costs and sell big-its not going to happen. MTV and VH-1 will not play Elvis videos. They spent some money making the Rubberneckin video (with Elvis in in) and I never saw it anywhere except on You Tube. Realistically you can not promote a dead artist as if he is hip, current, and up to date.
I have long wanted a Duets album but many fans don't want to see that done. I think McCartney, Springstein, Bono, BB King, Dave Mathews to name a few- would be perfect to Duet with Elvis. Some people just don't want it.
Not true at all. MTV did play both Rubberneckin' and A Little Less Conversation when they debuted. Radio did also. Itw as that RCA and EPE were too cheap to play wioth the level of the bigger artists today who's companies paid to get their records in the rotation. But that was all 2002-2003 BS (before Sillerman):lol:

As I said before, Country has a limited audience while Pop does not. You won't see any of those Country stars on MTV with their videos. But you will see pop artists on there. Anyhow EP was more Pop than Rock as it was. Also Duets album will never happen. Why? Because it would come across by the general public as cheezy and creepy. I thought about one myself. but you have to look outside of the box, or in this case, outside of the EP World to see the reality. Now a reworked album would not come over as cheezy and might actually be a way to get EP more #1 chart topping albums. And who knows? Maybe a Grammy for something other than Gospel.:hmm:

Let me add something interesting that happened today. My girlfriend's cousin Sharee (who is 17 and from Atlanta and is black) is in town visiting with relatives (Anna's family) and we took her out for the day. She starting telling us what all is on her Ipod. I joked her by saying "I bet you don't have any Elvis on there". She surprised me by saying "yes I do too". She starts naming the stuff on there. The duet with Celine from Idol Gives Back of If I Can Dream, A Little Less Conversation, Rubberneckin' and the new remix Let's Play House. Notice that all of them she mentioned were REMIXES and REMAKES and not the originals.
I asked her why no original EP and her reply was "it sounds wack". That was her reply not mine and that's how many of today's kids (who's parents aren't long time fans) think of EP's music. The bottom line is that the remixes ARE giving EP new life with a younger hip hop led generation. How can you not want that?(y)

franny
03-02-2008, 01:07 AM
The TCB Band seems to be doing their own thing and welcomed throughout the world. They may be old to some. but there are still many that welcome them with open arms.
http://tcbfanclub.com/index.php

They've been busy .A friend of mine traveled with them to many places and sent pictures and reviews. They do alright.
Go have a listen. :) (y)

Do you have any pics, that you can share cameron?

franny

KPM
03-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Not true at all. MTV did play both Rubberneckin' and A Little Less Conversation when they debuted. Radio did also. Itw as that RCA and EPE were too cheap to play wioth the level of the bigger artists today who's companies paid to get their records in the rotation. But that was all 2002-2003 BS (before Sillerman):lol:

As I said before, Country has a limited audience while Pop does not. You won't see any of those Country stars on MTV with their videos. But you will see pop artists on there. Anyhow EP was more Pop than Rock as it was. Also Duets album will never happen. Why? Because it would come across by the general public as cheezy and creepy. I thought about one myself. but you have to look outside of the box, or in this case, outside of the EP World to see the reality. Now a reworked album would not come over as cheezy and might actually be a way to get EP more #1 chart topping albums. And who knows? Maybe a Grammy for something other than Gospel.:hmm:

Let me add something interesting that happened today. My girlfriend's cousin Sharee (who is 17 and from Atlanta and is black) is in town visiting with relatives (Anna's family) and we took her out for the day. She starting telling us what all is on her Ipod. I joked her by saying "I bet you don't have any Elvis on there". She surprised me by saying "yes I do too". She starts naming the stuff on there. The duet with Celine from Idol Gives Back of If I Can Dream, A Little Less Conversation, Rubberneckin' and the new remix Let's Play House. Notice that all of them she mentioned were REMIXES and REMAKES and not the originals.
I asked her why no original EP and her reply was "it sounds wack". That was her reply not mine and that's how many of today's kids (who's parents aren't long time fans) think of EP's music. The bottom line is that the remixes ARE giving EP new life with a younger hip hop led generation. How can you not want that?(y)
I did see ALLC a couple times on MTV but never saw Rubberneckin anywhere except You Tube. If you did you caught it one of the few times it was.
I e-mailed both MTV and VH-1 about Rubberneckin and asked why they did not play the video-and there response was "there is no demand for it to be played" Now thats pretty plain language. The proof my friend is in the sales and requests. the sales for ALLC were pretty good but never went gold. Rubberneckin sold no where as well. Radio requests were not good either.
Billboard called ALLC the number one single for sales-but not the number one single because it was not requested enough on radio and thats part of their formula for number one hits on their charts. I mean you are wanting me to believe that remixes can turn Elvis into the next big thing-I wish it was so but lets be realistic. Young people did not rush out in droves to buy it, nor request it. My daughters are around your age-they did not buy it, nor request it-but they told me they liked it. So if they did not buy it, nor request it what does that say? And they have a respect for Elvis but it was not important enough to buy. I'm sorry my friend we will not agree on this one. Remixes are not going to cause Elvis mania again. They can only remind people of who he was (and if the remix is bad they can get a bad impression of what his talent was)
Also your friend said the originals sound wack? If she can not hear the talent-then a watered down remix will not explain it.

EP75
03-02-2008, 05:43 AM
For some reason my post was either deleted or didn't go through although I saw it after it was posted. Anyhow. I didn't say anything derogatory so I don't know why it was removed.:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: Bottom line-changes are coming. Simple as that. like it or not. Accept it or not. It doesn't matter what 60+ year olds think. Bob Sillerman is running this game and he's running it quite well.(y)

cameron
03-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Do you have any pics, that you can share cameron?

franny

Here's 2 videos he sent from their show in Vienna. I don't know if he wants his picture on here or not. ;)
He does write a review on the show at the TCB band site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YQZVYEVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNaKvEazYI

Here's a picture of JB. I have one with my friend and JB, but better ask him..
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/IhopeRossisnotwearingthatshirttothe.jpg

utmom2008
03-02-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm not trying to start an argument here but you are obviously out of touch with today's music market. Country has a limited audience. Pop does not. Anything that is likable and fits in with the times is considered "Pop" music. Watch American idol. That is the sound of today and what kids are listening to and buying.

That being the case...how do you explain the appeal of Carrie Underwood? She is the Idol winner that is winning ALL the awards, Grammy's included. So many of the others have already been dropped by their labels. As far as the Idol audience goes...all the people that I know that watch it are in their 30's, 40's and 50's. None of our High School or College age kids sit down and watch American Idol, in fact alot of them think it's kind of nerdy.;):hmm::doh:

utmom2008
03-02-2008, 06:14 AM
You could take unknown hidden gems like Bridge Over Troubled Water, Always On My Mind, etc, etc and create a whole new arrangment and sound.

Those 2 songs are are hardly unknown hidden gems. Bridge was a HUGE success for Simon and Garfunkel and Always on my Mind is always associated with Willie Nelson. Willie took that song and made it his own.;)

EP75
03-02-2008, 06:01 PM
It is exactly what it is. I was frustrated for one thing because my post was removed or didn't go through for some reason and it was a long one that I had spent time to explain. I never said anything out of line in it which made me even more upset why it did not post. Anyhow, the bottom line is that things are about to be really different in the EP world as we know it from the image to the music. It's already changing as we speak. Changes are coming and that is a FACT, not an opinion or wishful thinking on my part. Remixes are already being made at a record pace by underground DJ's that before 2002 would have never attempted them. Since then there are several dance mixes floating around on Youtube. And guess what? there's no stopping it anytime soon. So instead of complaining about this stuff (and this is not aimed at you) just accept it and appreciate that the man we are all here for is still important enough for them to do this.

Now having said that, I do not want to see them go the route of dance remixes only. A few is all right and apparently is growing interest among a younger audience to EP's work and legacy. I want to see them take the catalog (or a nice selection of rarities) back into the studio-strip the backing tracks on the stereo mixes-lay new modern day tracks that fit today's standards but still kept close to the originals and create new and exciting sounding albums for a new generation of music lovers. The Beatles already have done this with LOVE and more is to come. Michael Jackson is remixing his original Thriller album with collaborations with today's rap stars. Why? To sell it to a younger generation and to keep him relevant. And that's the biggest classic album and best seller of all time!:supriced: So if those acts can do it, what makes EP's music so special not to do the same for him? After all he was a man like them, remember? Not a God. So EP fans need to appreciate (as I do too) what he did do but at the same time allow a new generation to hear his voice in their liking with today's music.

EP75
03-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Those 2 songs are are hardly unknown hidden gems. Bridge was a HUGE success for Simon and Garfunkel and Always on my Mind is always associated with Willie Nelson. Willie took that song and made it his own.;)

Once agian it was just an example of two songs that could be reworked for today's standards.

jean francois
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I am for it to a CD with the band tcb more about rca we can not ask for better than that its tres would change that bootlegs(y)(y)(y)

KPM
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=EP75;193377]It is exactly what it is. I was frustrated for one thing because my post was removed or didn't go through for some reason and it was a long one that I had spent time to explain. I never said anything out of line in it which made me even more upset why it did not post. Anyhow, the bottom line is that things are about to be really different in the EP world as we know it from the image to the music. It's already changing as we speak. Changes are coming and that is a FACT, not an opinion or wishful thinking on my part. Remixes are already being made at a record pace by underground DJ's that before 2002 would have never attempted them. Since then there are several dance mixes floating around on Youtube. And guess what? there's no stopping it anytime soon. So instead of complaining about this stuff (and this is not aimed at you) just accept it and appreciate that the man we are all here for is still important enough for them to do this.

So its okay in your view for just anyone to start remixing Elvis songs? Just because anyone can remix does not mean they will or can do it well thats another problem. You say a quality Duets album with people like McCartney and Bono on it would be "cheesy" but any Tom Dick or Harry can do a remix and thats okay? BMG has not announced they are allowing everyone and his brother to remix ELvis songs-so they must be unauthorized. That shows me BMG is not in the remix business (as of yet and Ernst Jorgenson said as much a year or so ago)
Baby Lets Play House is in public domain in Europe where this remix originated so anyone can do it with not much action by BMG.
As far as complaining, that is every persons right in America when they do not like or appreciate something. Have you ever heard the word boycott? Well that could end up being the unwritten rule for the people who buy the bulk of the memorabilia and keep the golden eggs coming when they travel to Graceland if they decide they do not like the changes and feel its cold and sterile. Thats something else that is the right of every American when they do not like something. You have a lot of faith in young people to suddenly be a goldmine for Sillerman. In 2002 with ALLC that did not happen in a major way for that single. They did not start sending for Ernsts special FTD records to explore Elvis. Fan clubs were not swamped with new members, Elvis did not become the talk in the lunchrooms at high school. It was a spike in his recognition and that is well and good but it did little to get new loyal fans.

utmom2008
03-02-2008, 06:58 PM
So its okay in your view for just anyone to start remixing Elvis songs? Just because anyone can remix does not mean they will or can do it well thats another problem.

As far as complaining, that is every persons right in America when they do not like or appreciate something. Have you ever heard the word boycott? Well that could end up being the unwritten rule for the people who buy the bulk of the memorabilia and keep the golden eggs coming when they travel to Graceland if they decide they do not like the changes and feel its cold and sterile. Thats something else that is the right of every American when they do not like something. You have a lot of faith in young people to suddenly be a goldmine for Sillerman. In 2002 with ALLC that did not happen in a major way for that single. They did not start sending for Ernsts special FTD records to explore Elvis. Fan clubs were not swamped with new members, Elvis did not become the talk in the lunchrooms at high school. It was a spike in his recognition and that is well and good but it did little to get new loyal fans.

I agree with you KPM. When ALLC was released I had a 21 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. Yes, they both thought the re-mix was cool, but that's as far as it went. They knew that their Mom was sitting here with 73 albums and countless CD's to choose from....but it didn't spike their interest enough for them to pull out any other music belonging to Elvis. Both of my kids like Elvis and they both have a very healthy respect for his legacy, but that's about as far as it goes. My daughter will tell you that she thinks he's about the sexiest looking man she has ever seen, but again it stops there. Sillerman is nuts if he thinks this is the crowd that will come running to the new and improved Graceland. For starters..if he does all this stuff that "supposedly" he has planned, the young people will NOT be able to afford it. He will have to charge sky-high prices to get a return on his dollar and the only ones that can pay it will be some of us older fans. The same older fans whose opinions no longer matter.;);)

KPM
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Now having said that, I do not want to see them go the route of dance remixes only. A few is all right and apparently is growing interest among a younger audience to EP's work and legacy. I want to see them take the catalog (or a nice selection of rarities) back into the studio-strip the backing tracks on the stereo mixes-lay new modern day tracks that fit today's standards but still kept close to the originals and create new and exciting sounding albums for a new generation of music lovers. The Beatles already have done this with LOVE and more is to come. Michael Jackson is remixing his original Thriller album with collaborations with today's rap stars. Why? To sell it to a younger generation and to keep him relevant. And that's the biggest classic album and best seller of all time!:supriced: So if those acts can do it, what makes EP's music so special not to do the same for him? After all he was a man like them, remember? Not a God. So EP fans need to appreciate (as I do too) what he did do but at the same time allow a new generation to hear his voice in their liking with today's music.
Love is a Grammy Award-winning soundtrack compilation album of music recorded by The Beatles, released in November 2006. It features music compiled and remixed for the Cirque du Soleil show of the same name.
The Cirque people had to convince the remaining Beatles to allow them to do this. They agreed only after getting George Martin to get involved-he was the Beatles original producer quite a difference from just a remix album.
Micheal Jackson is about to lose his Neverland ranch- which almost happened in 2006 before he got a refinancing deal. Now hes about to lose it again. He has not had a hit in years and is only doing this to make some money and try to get his career (which is in shambles) jumpstarted. But at least the Beatles and Jackson are in positions to decide what should or should not be done with their music.

SleepyJack
03-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Why does it seem to me that very often when these type of discussions begin there seems to be so many people who,despite saying they are Elvis fans,seem to have little or no faith in the music itself?......We are made to feel like all the recorded work of Elvis Presley needs to be hidden under a blanket of drum loops and bass beats,just so it will appeal to a "new" audience. For whatever my opinion counts for....I think the priority should be that the recordings are preserved and presented in the best possible condition so that new generations of people can listen for themselves and make up their own minds. There are things in the music that are unique to Elvis,great things,things that will always remain,things that will always be heard by the people who hear it.......and there will always be new people discovering Elvis.

KPM
03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Why does it seem to me that very often when these type of discussions begin there seems to be so many people who,despite saying they are Elvis fans,seem to have little or no faith in the music itself?......We are made to feel like all the recorded work of Elvis Presley needs to be hidden under a blanket of drum loops and bass beats,just so it will appeal to a "new" audience. For whatever my opinion counts for....I think the priority should be that the recordings are preserved and presented in the best possible condition so that new generations of people can listen for themselves and make up their own minds. There are things in the music that are unique to Elvis,great things,things that will always remain,things that will always be heard by the people who hear it.......and there will always be new people discovering Elvis.
There have always been young independant kid (who are willing to go against the grain of whats hot) who are attracted to Elvis in each generation since his rise. We see young people here who did not come to Elvis through remixes or through their parents- but they just like the music, the looks and the talent. They get it! IMO that will always be the case, but no marketing tool is ever going to make him current in todays world-IMO its just not possible.

KPM
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Well I for one am not prepared to say
"Well I hit my 50's so I am now obsolete"
I read, keep informed, can say without a doubt I am well aware of pop culture of today 1000 times more than my mom was. I know my generation is a huge monetary market which is being courted by all companies wanting to get my dollars. Take a look at todays commercials, they are geared as much to 50 somethings as to 20 somethings-that is no accident.
I am not ready to roll over and die-nor give up the rights I have worked for all my life. Everyone gets older, they mature and they see things differently.
You learn as you live and things you were sure of at a younger age do not always end up true.

utmom2008
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Everyone gets older, they mature and they see things differently.
You learn as you live and things you were sure of at a younger age do not always end up true.

Amen to that!!!

Elvis68
03-02-2008, 08:44 PM
The reworked Guitar Man verson of Felton Jarvis was a very good version. Maybe this way some new Elvis material comes on the market. Not that the Elvis originals need improvement or can not be improved, just to get alternative versions. And with the same musicians he worked with, cannot be that bad! I'm al for it.

KPM
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty sure what Elvis did in regards to Rock and roll is going to be remembered regardless of what happens. Its history, and can not be rewritten. People who see Elvis as a thief are not looking at the history of the situation, they are writing their own history as they think it happened and have been led to believe it happened. No amount of truth or "image revamping" will change the people who see him as a thief. They do not want the truth, they want their image of the truth which fits their beliefs. IMO

utmom2008
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
EP will be seen as a immortalized figure in the same breath with other historical figures. EP WAS an entertainer. But he WAS much more than that. He broke the boundaries of race, religion and politics all at the same time.

What historical figures are you thinking of? George Washington? Abraham Lincoln? Albert Einstein? Not trying to be sarcastic here....merely curious as to what category he will fall into in your opinion....:hmm::doh::hmm:

KPM
03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
First off Elvis is an historical figure right now. He made history, before anyone on this forum ever said he broke barriers of all kinds-it was already noted. So this is not news which suddenly is true because of any changes or image revamping. Its a fact of history. If you look at documentaries about the 50s he is always noted as part of that history and how music, styles of dress and the race relations were changed. People who are interested in how it actually happened can find all this out-if they bother to look for the truth. The reason he is historical is not image revamping-its because he made history- pure and simple.

rocknroll
03-02-2008, 10:00 PM

Couldn't have said it better. Some people just don't care about Elvis' original music. Too bad, it's good stuff.

EP75
03-02-2008, 10:27 PM
What historical figures are you thinking of? George Washington? Abraham Lincoln? Albert Einstein? Not trying to be sarcastic here....merely curious as to what category he will fall into in your opinion....:hmm::doh::hmm:

Those and many more like King Tut, Cleopatra, and Napoleon to name a few.

KPM
03-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I have been thinking about all the posts on Remixes, changes to Memphis and the Elvis World and Sillerman. It just occured to me that what bothers me most is that Sillerman is being protrayed as some sort of saviour to the Elvis legacy. As if Elvis's memory would dry up and blow away if Sillerman had not stepped in. As if the music he made and the filmed performances we have will will forever be lost without Sillermans guidance. The topic is not Elvis's accomplishments from his musical talent and groundbreaking emergence into music-it is becoming how Sillerman is saving Elvis. Remixes, image revamps, state of the art buildings, etc are all well and good-but I resent the implication that Elvis's legacy would somehow be lost without them all. In implying this it also implies Elvis's talent was not special enough, nor great enough to stand the test of time. He will never be the current best artist again. But he was special long before Sillerman money became involved. Indeed I would imagine Sillerman would be the first to admit if Elvis was not special-his money would not be involved.
Does anyone else make this connection in these threads or am I just seeing it wrong?

utmom2008
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I have been thinking about all the posts on Remixes, changes to Memphis and the Elvis World and Sillerman. It just occured to me that what bothers me most is that Sillerman is being protrayed as some sort of savour to the Elvis legacy. As if Elvis's memory would dry up and blow away if Sillerman had not stepped in. As if the music he made and the filmed performances we have will will forever be lost without Sillermans guidance. The topic is not Elvis's accomplishments from his musical talent and groundbreaking emergence into music-it is becoming how Sillerman is saving Elvis. Remixes, image revamps, state of the art buildings, etc are all well and good-but I resent the implication that Elvis's legacy would somehow be lost without them all. In implying this it also implies Elvis's talent was not special enough, nor great enough to stand the test of time. He will never be the current best artist again. But he was special long before Sillerman money became involved. Indeed I would imagine Sillerman would be the first to admit if Elvis was not special-his money would not be involved.
Does anyone else make this connection in these threads or am I just seeing it wrong?
Best post I have read in a long time!! (y)(y) I totally understand wht you are saying. Some don't realize that Elvis has been a big somebody for a very long time. He was an icon when people had never heard of Sillerman, or before Sillerman made enough money to be the saviour of Elvis.

rocknroll
03-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I have been thinking about all the posts on Remixes, changes to Memphis and the Elvis World and Sillerman. It just occured to me that what bothers me most is that Sillerman is being protrayed as some sort of savour to the Elvis legacy. As if Elvis's memory would dry up and blow away if Sillerman had not stepped in. As if the music he made and the filmed performances we have will will forever be lost without Sillermans guidance. The topic is not Elvis's accomplishments from his musical talent and groundbreaking emergence into music-it is becoming how Sillerman is saving Elvis. Remixes, image revamps, state of the art buildings, etc are all well and good-but I resent the implication that Elvis's legacy would somehow be lost without them all. In implying this it also implies Elvis's talent was not special enough, nor great enough to stand the test of time. He will never be the current best artist again. But he was special long before Sillerman money became involved. Indeed I would imagine Sillerman would be the first to admit if Elvis was not special-his money would not be involved.

I would say you are not wrong in your observation. However, I see only a couple of people who are just so good at shouting Sillerman's greatness from the mountaintops that it seems as though it is a prevailing theme. I would certainly hope the rest of us are smart enough and respect Elvis' talent enough to see through all the "Elvis isn't good enough", or "Elvis is outdated" junk and appreciate him for what he has always been.

Like I always say, not liking Elvis is like not liking the sun, or oxygen. If you can't appreciate Elvis' talent and musical greatness for what it was and is, then I would argue that it isn't Elvis you don't like, it is music in general you don't like.

cameron
03-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I have been thinking about all the posts on Remixes, changes to Memphis and the Elvis World and Sillerman. It just occured to me that what bothers me most is that Sillerman is being protrayed as some sort of saviour to the Elvis legacy. As if Elvis's memory would dry up and blow away if Sillerman had not stepped in. As if the music he made and the filmed performances we have will will forever be lost without Sillermans guidance. The topic is not Elvis's accomplishments from his musical talent and groundbreaking emergence into music-it is becoming how Sillerman is saving Elvis. Remixes, image revamps, state of the art buildings, etc are all well and good-but I resent the implication that Elvis's legacy would somehow be lost without them all. In implying this it also implies Elvis's talent was not special enough, nor great enough to stand the test of time. He will never be the current best artist again. But he was special long before Sillerman money became involved. Indeed I would imagine Sillerman would be the first to admit if Elvis was not special-his money would not be involved.

Well, since I agree with all you say, I guess I'll use it all. ;)

The "pushing" of ideas or opinions on others just cause them to balk, as most of us have our own strong opinions.
To try and promote BS in this way, just causes people to dislike and distrust him. IMO, that's not fair to him as none of us know the man personally or what he has in mind to do. I'm sure he wouldn't like public opinion turned against him. I know I wouldn't.

utmom2008
03-03-2008, 02:27 AM
There have always been young independant kid (who are willing to go against the grain of whats hot) who are attracted to Elvis in each generation since his rise.

I had never really thought of it that way...but you are right KPM. I guess that puts me and TotallyInsane in that category. As teenagers in the early 70's it was soooooo NOT COOL to follow Elvis. Our friends were listening to "The Archies"(anyone remember them?) sing "Sugar,Sugar"...Gail and I were listening to "American Trilogy". And what child of the 70's could dare to forget Donny Osmond singing "One Bad Apple"????:lol::lol::lol:

TotallyInsane
03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Love the picture you have in your messages now days!!!

U.S. Male
03-03-2008, 02:44 AM
We (the moderators) "STRONGLY SUGGEST" that you all "lighten up here" and immediately!

This subject of this topic is about Remaking songs - NOT attacking other members!

So either get back on the subject, or get out!

We won't ask a 2nd time I assure you.:cop:

EP75
03-03-2008, 03:44 AM

Thank you!!!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)

utmom2008
03-03-2008, 06:18 AM

;);););););) (y)(y)(y)

KPM
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Like I said I would not mind hearing the original TCB band trying to update the sound they were involved in the 70's.
I also would not mind hearing how other great musicians would update some of Elvis's 70s album cuts with their ideas of backing. I have always wished Elvis had done an album similar to Jerry Lee Lewis's early 70s double album "The Sessions" recorded in London with many great artists setting in.
If you've never heard this album it is a treat.

EP75
03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
I also would not mind hearing how other great musicians would update some of Elvis's 70s album cuts with their ideas of backing.

That's what I have been saying all along. Where have you been? That was what I proposed to begin with.:supriced::doh::hmm:

KPM
03-04-2008, 01:16 AM
That's what I have been saying all along. Where have you been? That was what I proposed to begin with.:supriced::doh::hmm:
I have been right here, I said this same thing probably 3 years ago. (I may have said this same thing 15 years ago.
I have also said remixes are not the be all and save all for Elvis and his legacy.
I have said at best they can cause a spike in his recognition. I have also said you must be "very selective in who does the remixing and what songs are remixed" some songs should not be on the table for reasons obvious to most. I have also said remixes will not make Elvis "a hip current up to date artist" in the eyes of the general public-and to imply it would is unrealistic. That would not just pertain to ELvis-but to any artist who is dead.
I have been pretty consistent for the last 15 or 20 years on what I think can be done with Elvis's music since he has died. You and I do not see eye to eye on the impact of remixes-you imply they will suddenly gain Elvis a huge new fan base-I do not feel that is realistic. I think ALLC has pretty much proved my point as it was a good remix, it spiked Elvis's recognition and then after the furor died that was that. The young ones who already see Elvis's talent do not need remixes to verify what they see.

utmom2008
03-04-2008, 01:45 AM
I have also said remixes are not the be all and save all for Elvis and his legacy.
I have also said remixes will not make Elvis "a hip current up to date artist" in the eyes of the general public-and to imply it would is unrealistic. That would not just pertain to ELvis-but to any artist who is dead.
That is so true. Maybe someone will take Frank Sinatra and his It Was A Very Good Year and try to turn into some hip-hop/rap piece of junk.;)

The young ones who already see Elvis's talent do not need remixes to verify what they see.

AMEN!!!! They seem to know talent when they hear it.;)(y)

EP75
03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I have been right here, I said this same thing probably 3 years ago. (I may have said this same thing 15 years ago.
I have said at best they can cause a spike in his recognition. I have also said you must be "very selective in who does the remixing and what songs are remixed" some songs should not be on the table for reasons obvious to most. I have also said remixes will not make Elvis "a hip current up to date artist" in the eyes of the general public-and to imply it would is unrealistic. That would not just pertain to ELvis-but to any artist who is dead.
I have been pretty consistent for the last 15 or 20 years on what I think can be done with Elvis's music since he has died. You and I do not see eye to eye on the impact of remixes-you imply they will suddenly gain Elvis a huge new fan base-I do not feel that is realistic. I think ALLC has pretty much proved my point as it was a good remix, it spiked Elvis's recognition and then after the furor died that was that. The young ones who already see Elvis's talent do not need remixes to verify what they see.

Here's a trivia question for you.

What two 1960's songs remixed have been used the most in TV ads, movie soundtracks, sports ads, political campaigns, and included in both high school and college bands?:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Frankieg
03-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Couldn't have said it better. Some people just don't care about Elvis' original music. Too bad, it's good stuff.

Thank God, finally, a breathe of fresh air around here ...

These redundant lame remix ideas are just gimmicks to appeal to a certain demographic that is so fickle, they couldn't tell the difference between their rear ends or their face :!:

In today's world of music, Today's #1 is tomorrow's forgotten oldie, but at least Elvis' fantastic, revolutionary legacy is forever cemented in the history books, and in the hearts and minds of his beloved, (True) fans forever !!!

KPM
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Here's a trivia question for you.

What two 1960's songs remixed have been used the most in TV ads, movie soundtracks, sports ads, political campaigns, and included in both high school and college bands?:hmm::hmm::hmm:
I'm sure I do not see the point of the question. (but I'm sure you will try to make it clear with your answer.

utmom2008
03-05-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm sure I do not see the point of the question. (but I'm sure you will try to make it clear with your answer.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:(y)(y)(y)