PDA

View Full Version : My recollections of standing at the entrance to the Lisa Marie 2/19/77

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 04:33 AM
*Saturday February 19th at approx. 3:00pm(est)...Driving near the airport in Charlotte,NC..I spot what I believe is Elvis' plane..the Lisa Marie...I had never seen a good photo of it at the time...but I knew it had TCB on the tail...so I knew it had to be Elvis' plane
*I drove around to a fenced in area near the jet...managed to slip through an unmanned gate.
*I walked right up to the Lisa Marie..a couple of fans were there..we were discussing whether or not this was Elvis' jet
*within an hour or so...about 20 more fans show up...and confirm that it was Elvis' Jet..
*I walked under the wings...wrote my name and address in the dirt/grime under the wings.
*at approx. 6:00pm...Airport crew drives the stairs to the plane..
*at approx 6:30..a van arrives...and a group of people get out..Pilots and crew?...open the door to Lisa Marie..and go inside..
*at approx 6:45pm....I'm the first one to walk up the steps..and stick my head inside the cabin..I see a sink, and a pitcher of what looks like TANG.
*Approx. 7:50pm...about 7 police cars arrive to form a barricade in front of the jet..
*Approx 8:00 pm....Engines are running as a big chartered bus pulls up...and what appears to be band members start boarding the plane..
*Elvis surprisingly exits the SAME bus...walks up the stairs...turns around and waves..He is flanked by Esposito and Ed Parker..http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5156&stc=1
*8:05pm...Lisa Marie pulls away...taxis down the runway...heading to Johnson City TN..
*I'll never forget it....part 2 to follow....

TCB...Wade (HRH)

Memphis
09-14-2004, 04:53 AM
thanks for sharing that great recollection. How neat that you were able to walk up the stairs and peek inside. Where were you when the police cars formed the barricade? Did you write all the times down when you got home?

buttonhead
09-14-2004, 05:16 AM
interesting story ...did you see elvis concert in charlotte too ? and the avatars you put up there is one of my fave concert on CD ... DO you have some pics to share from charlotte '77 concert..? will you share them with us ....you didnt forget to bring camera, did you ..i hope so.
you could manage yourself to the lisa marie stairs...thats awesome , how could you do that ? was it suppositly some Memphis Mafia guy at least some cops watching out some fans who tried to get close to that Convair 880 jet plane ? :hmm:

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 05:16 AM
The period of time after the van pulled up and opened the door...We fans formed a line on either side of the staircase...HOWEVER...when the police cars pulled up..they made us stand on the other side of the police car barricade...(everyone was upset at this),,
as far as the times go....I had gone to work with my father that day...and I know we were at the airport right after that..which was approx. 3:00pm..I also remember that my Father complained to everyone that I made him stand out on a cold tarmac for 5 hours...so,all the times are approx. but pretty close to accurate...
HRH

Lonniebealestreet
09-14-2004, 05:34 AM
This would be about what he looked like then, would it not? In fact, did you snap this one? ;)

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 05:37 AM
My birthday is Feb.17..
I was a big Elvis fan...towards the end of January..I heard on a local radio station that Elvis was going to be performing in Charlotte,NC on 2/20/77...so I IMMEDIATLY told my parents that I wanted to see Elvis for my birthday...
We sent off a cashiers check for $30.oo and about a week later..I received the tickets...but....a piece of paper stapled to the tickets read "due to the overwhelming demand for Elvis tickets..your order has been processed for 2/21/77..
I was so excited.....
I did take some photos...two are really close (I wasn't at my seat)..
I also tape recorded the concert..(which was later bootlegged into "RIOT in CHARLOTTE" )..
I also went to the stage after the concert to see if I could get a souvenir...
I tried to get a policeman to hand me a scarf out of the scarf "briefcase"..but he said it was property of the "ELVIS SHOW" and he couldn't...so...
I thought real fast...and asked him to hand me the styrofoam cup that Elvis drank out of...he did....
to this day..I still have the cup...(see photos below...you can see the cup...and Elvis with the cup on stage) and in a sealed glass bottle,I still have what's left of the water
see photos below
Wade (HRH)

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 05:40 AM
Yes..I've seen that photo before...no...I didn't take it..
I do remember that Elvis was holding one of those grip exerciser things in his hand...right after that photo was taken..he stopped at the top of the steps and waved..

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Oddly enough...before the police cars arrived...there was no real security..It seems like someone from the airport kept us from continuing to walk up the steps....but until the police came...we were free to walk around the jet freely...

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 05:50 AM
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/022177BHpw.jpg

NEA
09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey HRH,

A whole thread dedicated to yourself - can't be bad...and wow, what a great story you have, u lucky man u!

From inside the entrance to the Lisa Marie to the Foam Cup from the Charlotte Concert - what a read, and what an experience!

Breathtaking!

Cheers mate.

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 07:39 PM
If you look at the photo...
there is a stool on the left of the photo...(next to Elvis)
I have one of those cups...
It had crushed ice and water inside...not Gatorade..
A policeman handed it to me after I asked him to..

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ (http://http://www.elvis-collectors.com/url)

however..I took the time to post the photo...just look through the thread..
TCB..

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Sorry.....why is it hard to believe?????????
I live in Charlotte,NC...USA......
I have approx. 30 different photos of Elvis ( 2/21/1977 that I've collected over the years)...
the ones that I took (with a kodak instamatic) were far away...
(except for two)...I don't have them hosted on a website for a link...
but..
I tell you what...
I'll take a photo TONIGHT..(I'm at work now)...of the CUP,THE WATER,THE PROGRAM,MY TICKET STUB,AND the photos I took..
PLUS...the announcement I received in the mail stating that my tickets were processed for Monday,Feb 21st..1977...
If you want HARD proof...I still have the audience recording I made..
and you can hear me ask for the binoculars...explain how security made me leave the stage area,and me complaining that the people beside us are too loud..
all this is captured on audio tape (AMPEX 90 min.)...
Most of my conversation takes place during amen/JD Sumners bass solo...

WHASSUP???

howardrobardhughes
09-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Please don't get me wrong...you didn't piss me off..
But I do get defensive when discussing my Elvis experiences on 2/19/77 & 2/21/77....
I've taken alot of joking for being a die hard Elvis fan for all these years.....

I was lucky enough to see him ....yes...
Everyone that knows me always kids me about the Elvis Cup !!!
I've told that story 100's of times...

hopefully...some of you got a kick out of it too..

TCB
Wade (HRH) :!:

Memphis
09-15-2004, 04:33 AM
To my opinion, as you were lucky enough to meet Elvis in person, i think you should have took pic of elvis at that Charlotte concert, since almost all elvis fans did that as they saw elvis in concert, i looked up the website but i cant see the picture . I am sorry if i sound mean ..but when it gets to meet elvis in person...i believe many people wanted to see the proof...evidence that you meet the man , it could be pictures...or maybe scarf..mostly pictures, taken by you , and not attachment we saw over the internet :)

Elvis toured extensively throughout the U.S. in the 1950s and the 1970s. and he also had a huge fan base (of all ages) even when he was alive. Many, many, many people got a chance to see Elvis in concert, and maybe get a glimpse of him entering or exiting somewhere.
Maybe you want to have some sort of proof, but I'm not one of the many people you believe need evidence that this story is true, It's nice that he shared it with the board. He's very lucky to have that cup from the concert, I'm sure it means a lot to him. He's not trying to sell it to anyone, so why does he need to prove that it's got Elvis' DNA on it?

Memphis
09-15-2004, 08:09 AM
i just wanted to see if he has elvis pics on that concert thats all, (not elvis DNA ) if he has ,it would be wonderful to share with all other elvis fans here , (just like everyone here loved elvis pics that kennyelvis shared ), if not i wont put it against him. ;)

Ok, ;)
Your post came across as ill spirited to me, and when you said that many people wanted to see proof, I just didn't want someone else representing me. That's all.

JohanD
09-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Nice story!! ;)

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks..I hoped some of you would enjoy it..
It's funny...I live in Charlotte,NC..but I've only encountered one other person that was at that particular show..HOWEVER....
A few years ago,I met a person whose family went to the 2/20/77 show..
I forget how we got on the subject...but he told me that they had 4 tickets to the concert..and at the last minute,his brother was sick..and couldn't go..
I asked him what they did with the spare ticket..and he told me that it was in storage at his mom's house..
I got his phone#...and later that week..
I called,he found the ticket..and I bought it for $ 50.00...
it's in pristeen condition...

strange but true..

TCB
Wade ( HRH )

julieann
09-17-2004, 04:53 PM
howard,

you were so lucky to see Elvis wlking up the steps to his plane.

If i would have been around (february 1977 - i was still growing in my Mummy's tummy) i would have been over those police barriers like a shot.

Seriously i am not joking - i wish that i had been around in the sixties and seventies - i would have been at those music gates, Graceland every day.

I would have drove him mad. :clap:

Lonniebealestreet
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Well, at least you're honest! :D

But hey, who knows...I probably would have tried to 'Lamar' myself into his inner circle if I'd been around then too. ;)

Albert
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
"...I probably would have tried to 'Lamar' myself into his inner circle if I'd been around then too.."

:lmfao: :laughing: :P Whahahaaaa :D

Lonniebealestreet
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't you? :D

stilllovinelvis
09-18-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one to enjoy this person's Elvis experience. I may get criticised for this but, if I had something of Elvis that his hand and LIPS had touched I would be on cloud 9! I just remember seeing his clothes and the top of his head from about 20 feet above him and I will NEVER get over it! Would be interested in hearing anyone else's story too. And I don't need proof just honesty and I'm pretty trusting (even though some here may think gullible). But I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Memphis
09-20-2004, 01:47 PM
I just remember seeing his clothes and the top of his head from about 20 feet above him and I will NEVER get over it!

Welcome, I noticed your location says Illinois? Chicago Stadium? '72? '76? or '77?

julieann
09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one to enjoy this person's Elvis experience. I may get criticised for this but, if I had something of Elvis that his hand and LIPS had touched I would be on cloud 9! I just remember seeing his clothes and the top of his head from about 20 feet above him and I will NEVER get over it! Would be interested in hearing anyone else's story too. And I don't need proof just honesty and I'm pretty trusting (even though some here may think gullible). But I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

you are sooo lucky - i would have dive bombed on top of him
(y)

stilllovinelvis
09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Believe me, I've thought MANY times about WHY I did not jump over that rail to get to him. If I had timed it right I could have jumped right on him! And I cannot EVEN imagine what it would be like to even stand NEAR him and have his eyes look right into yours. I know this sounds almost sacreligious, but don't you imagine that you could just feel a special power and aura radiating off of him so strong you could hardly stand it. And I think his eyes would make my heart leap out of my chest!
This was at a concert in Indiana, 1974, I was 13. I had ticket stubs that I kept for YEARS in the exact same place, a container that held all my cherished items. And I think I cleaned it out about a year ago and now I cannot find my tickets anywhere! I am just sick about it.
And I live in southern Illinois, closer to St. Louis, MO, or Paducah, KY.

julieann
09-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Believe me, I've thought MANY times about WHY I did not jump over that rail to get to him. If I had timed it right I could have jumped right on him! And I cannot EVEN imagine what it would be like to even stand NEAR him and have his eyes look right into yours. I know this sounds almost sacreligious, but don't you imagine that you could just feel a special power and aura radiating off of him so strong you could hardly stand it. And I think his eyes would make my heart leap out of my chest!
This was at a concert in Indiana, 1974, I was 13. I had ticket stubs that I kept for YEARS in the exact same place, a container that held all my cherished items. And I think I cleaned it out about a year ago and now I cannot find my tickets anywhere! I am just sick about it.
And I live in southern Illinois, closer to St. Louis, MO, or Paducah, KY.

you was only 13 at the time? you could have easily dived bombed on him and i bet that you wouldn't have got into too much trouble with the MM or even Elvis - they would haev said 'she is only a little girl!'
Man, if i had been there!

richardo316
11-24-2004, 03:36 PM
thanks for that interesting story howardrobardhughes

howardrobardhughes
11-24-2004, 07:22 PM
It's hard to describe to anyone what it was like to be in the presence of Elvis..When I saw him in concert,it was an overwhelming experience..the anticapation during the whole evening...waiting....waiting...then,all of a sudden,all the house lights are cut off..and 2001 theme was played....then opening riff...and then he hits the stage..I still get chills thinking about it..
Even though he was not in the best health when I saw him...the electricity of his stage presence is unforgetable..

Sonny
11-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Well...we get the picture...

Sonny

howardrobardhughes
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Well...we get the picture...

Sonny
glad to hear it...
that was the purpose of my thread...
TCB
Wade