PDA

View Full Version : Electric Guitar in 1972

U.S. Male
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Check out this photo taken in Jacksonville, FL in April 1972. You'll notice that Elvis brought along his Electric Guitar on this tour!

Question is, does anyone know if he actually played it any during this April 72 tour?

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/5/4/8/4/Jacksonville72.jpg

poormansgold
02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't Think So, I can be wrong .
Tom

presley31
02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Great picture.

Tony Trout
02-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Check out this photo taken in Jacksonville, FL in April 1972. You'll notice that Elvis brought along his Electric Guitar on this tour!

Question is, does anyone know if he actually played it any during this April 72 tour?

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/5/4/8/4/Jacksonville72.jpg

Steve,

I doubt he played the guitar during the tour. This Gretsch electric can also be seen for a brief moment during the introductions in "Aloha From Hawaii".

KPM
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Perhaps it was like many things-if Elvis might have wanted it, its best to have it handy just in case.

Tony Trout
02-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Perhaps it was like many things-if Elvis might have wanted it, its best to have it handy just in case.

Exactly. I actually always carry two guitars with me when I do gigs on the weekends just in case something goes wrong with one of them.

KPM
02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Exactly. I actually always carry two guitars with me when I do gigs on the weekends just in case something goes wrong with one of them.
My brother does also, if he breaks a string he has one handy with little interruption to the set.

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Elvis was still performing the LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK medley in early 1972 (and he played electric guitar when he performed it), so maybe they had it there in case he decided to perform the medley. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Elvis was still performing the LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK medley in early 1972 (and he played electric guitar when he performed it), so maybe they had it there in case he decided to perform the medley. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Mike,

According to the Elvis Presley In Concert (http://www.elvisconcerts.com) website, Elvis actually performed "Little Sister"/"Get Back" as late as November 18, 1972 in Honolulu, HI.

And, in regards to the Jacksonville, FL shows....the coliseum there looks to be terribly small...don't you agree???

JonRomanovich
02-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Is this from the show in Elvis On Tour when Elvis leaves and jumps into the car..the "Hot time in Florida" comments and all that?

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Y
Is this from the show in Elvis On Tour when Elvis leaves and jumps into the car..the "Hot time in Florida" comments and all that?

Yep, the footage shown there is from the 2:30 P.M. afternoon performance.

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Mike,

According to the Elvis Presley In Concert (http://www.elvisconcerts.com) website, Elvis actually performed "Little Sister"/"Get Back" as late as November 18, 1972 in Honolulu, HI.

And, in regards to the Jacksonville, FL shows....the coliseum there looks to be terribly small...don't you agree???

Thanks for the info. Tony!! (y)

So that could very well explain the electric guitar being there...just in case Elvis wanted it for that medley.

And yes, I thought the arena looked awful small myself....but if you look at photos from '75, '76 and '77, it seems there were A LOT of arenas where Elvis played that were quite small!!!

TCB!
Mike

JonRomanovich
02-20-2008, 03:31 AM
The capacity in Jacksonville is supposedly 11,000

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Well, maybe it's just a small stage then... :hmm:

I know here in Rochester, New York at the War Memorial where Elvis performed in '76 & '77, the seating capacity was around 10,000 and it had a VERY small stage!!! (It holds a lot more people and has a bigger stage now since the renovations a few years ago)

TCB!
Mike

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the info. Tony!! (y)

You're welcome.

So that could very well explain the electric guitar being there...just in case Elvis wanted it for that medley.

Exactly, although I think that after 1972 (and possibly '73?) that Elvis didn't use the guitar much at all when he performed that song and by 1977 the guitar had completely disappeared from on-stage.

And yes, I thought the arena looked awful small myself....but if you look at photos from '75, '76 and '77, it seems there were A LOT of arenas where Elvis played that were quite small!!!

TCB!
Mike

One might wonder if that was Parker's doing so it could appear that Elvis had sold out the building---what are your thoughts?

The capacity in Jacksonville is supposedly 11,000

Correct, although only 9,258 tickets were supposedly sold for this show (info taken from the "Elvis In Concert" (http://www.elvis-in-concert.com) website).

Here's some more info I found out about the (now-demolished) Jacksonville Veteran's Memorial Coliseum:

Jacksonville Veteran's Memorial Coliseum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Memorial_Coliseum)

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 03:58 AM
One might wonder if that was Parker's doing so it could appear that Elvis had sold out the building---what are your thoughts?

I've heard that was the case Tony...

With Elvis' shows becoming increasingly erratic, The Colonel was booking him in more out of the way venues with smaller seating capacities so that he wouldn't get as much national press if he put on a poor show, plus it would appear he was selling out venues.

I mean, if Elvis was still that hot of a ticket in 1977, why was he being booked in more out of the way places like Lincoln, Nebraska instead of playing New York City or L.A. again?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 04:29 AM
I've heard that was the case Tony...

With Elvis' shows becoming increasingly erratic, The Colonel was booking him in more out of the way venues with smaller seating capacities so that he wouldn't get as much national press if he put on a poor show, plus it would appear he was selling out venues.

I've also read that the Colonel would deliberately block off a section of seating in an arena so as to make it look like that area was sold out.....

I mean, if Elvis was still that hot of a ticket in 1977, why was he being booked in more out of the way places like Lincoln, Nebraska instead of playing New York City or L.A. again?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

I've wondered that myself...wasn't Elvis scheduled to play in New York again in '77 during the brief tour in August? Not New York City, but just the state of New York?

EDIT: Just looked...he was scheduled to play in Utica, Uniondale, and Syracuse, NY during the August '77 tour.

JonRomanovich
02-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Is it possible that the smaller markets were more profitable?

I don't know if Evil Col Parker really consider his looks and etc at the time and worried about bad press??

hmm. dont know.

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Is it possible that the smaller markets were more profitable?

That's very possible, Jon.

I
don't know if Evil Col Parker really consider his looks and etc at the time and worried about bad press??

hmm. dont know.

By 1977, all Parker was concerned about was getting Elvis onstage....

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 04:58 AM
I've also read that the Colonel would deliberately block off a section of seating in an arena so as to make it look like that area was sold out.....

Oh yes....I forgot about that... :hmm:

I've wondered that myself...wasn't Elvis scheduled to play in New York again in '77 during the brief tour in August? Not New York City, but just the state of New York?

EDIT: Just looked...he was scheduled to play in Utica, Uniondale, and Syracuse, NY during the August '77 tour.

Well, we know Uniondale is a fairly large sized arena....Syracuse isn't a bad size arena either (around 10,000) but Utica confused me a little....not only is it a relatively small city and arena, but it is only about an hour drive from Syracuse. Why they would book 2 shows so close together is a bit of a surprise, but it is just like in 1976 when Elvis performed in Syracuse, then Rochester, then back to Syracuse in a 3-day span....and they are only about an hour drive apart as well. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 05:03 AM

Well, we know Uniondale is a fairly large sized arena....Syracuse isn't a bad size arena either (around 10,000) but Utica confused me a little....not only is it a relatively small city and arena, but it is only about an hour drive from Syracuse. Why they would book 2 shows so close together is a bit of a surprise, but it is just like in 1976 when Elvis performed in Syracuse, then Rochester, then back to Syracuse in a 3-day span....and they are only about an hour drive apart as well. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Could it have possibly been because Parker somehow knew that Elvis wasn't going to be able to hold out much longer?

Jungleroom76
02-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Could it have possibly been because Parker somehow knew that Elvis wasn't going to be able to hold out much longer?

Hmmm... :hmm:

Interesting theory....I honestly don't know about that Tony...as I said, we've read the reasons why The Colonel was booking him in smaller venues...now if that is because The Colonel knew the end was near or not, I honestly don't know.

I would definitely be interested to see what other members think...

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Hmmm... :hmm:

Interesting theory....I honestly don't know about that Tony...as I said, we've read the reasons why The Colonel was booking him in smaller venues...now if that is because The Colonel knew the end was near or not, I honestly don't know.

I would definitely be interested to see what other members think...

TCB!
Mike

I think the Colonel knew and I think everyone around him knew also that he couldn't go on much longer. How could you not, when you could see how he was doing on stage.

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I think the Colonel knew and I think everyone around him knew also that he couldn't go on much longer. How could you not, when you could see how he was doing on stage.

I agree. Lamar Fike even made the statement, "He'll never see the snow fly, boys, I promise you!".

Lonniebealestreet
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
...according to him, he did. Lamar is a good storyteller; that may be true but it might not be. Not to mention that if he really believed that and stood back and watched his prophecy some true, well...good for him.

Honestly, I do generally enjoy his colorful metaphors (though he can at times cross a line beyond which he lacks taste) but his knowing how to tell a good tale seems to lend itself to exaggeration and self-promotion.

poormansgold
02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
The last Time Elvis Singing LIttle Sister/Get Back Was april Tour of 1973, In Portland, Oregon, 4/27/73, He may did few time more after that show. Tom

Tony Trout
02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
...according to him, he did. Lamar is a good storyteller; that may be true but it might not be. Not to mention that if he really believed that and stood back and watched his prophecy some true, well...good for him.

Honestly, I do generally enjoy his colorful metaphors (though he can at times cross a line beyond which he lacks taste) but his knowing how to tell a good tale seems to lend itself to exaggeration and self-promotion.

I'm thinking that Lamar most likely made the statement in a half-joking & half-serious manner because deep down, I believe they all knew that Elvis wasn't going to be around much longer....

Jungleroom76
02-21-2008, 12:17 AM

And that is exactly what his new book will most likely be...300+ pages of exaggerations!! :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
02-21-2008, 12:20 AM

I have read somewhere that by 1977, The Colonel was part of the "advance team"...he would fly into the city that Elvis was going to perform in the day before the show, make sure all the preparations were in order, then fly on to the next city before Elvis arrived. So I wonder just how much of Elvis' deterioration The Colonel actually witnessed first hand versus how much he heard from the guys around Elvis...

And knowing Lamar's ability to exaggerate (as Lonnie pointed out), how much of what the guys were telling him did he believe?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Erhan
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM

TCB!
Mike

ELVIS New York 1975 Rare
pPPFrZo9ug