PDA

View Full Version : I'm Getting Desperate

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:01 AM
I've been looking for 30 plus years of pictures or video of the following shows. Can you help me? Do you have any? Do you know someone who does?

8/18/72
8/15/73
8/26/76
12/12/76

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:12 AM
12-12-1976 Las Vegas.(y)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 04:12 AM
I've been looking for 30 plus years of pictures or video of the following shows. Can you help me? Do you have any? Do you know someone who does?

12/12/76

Is this the infamous Summit?? ;):lol:

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Is this the infamous Summit?? ;):lol:

No, the infamous Summit was 8/26/76 - oops, 8/28/76 I think! My memory is fading me girlfriend!! Oh well, at least it wasn't the first thing to go!!

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:20 AM
12-12-1976 Las Vegas.(y)

Thanks Brad for these!! Did you take these? Do you know of anyone who has "Can't Help Falling In Love" on video from this show?

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:23 AM

8/18/72
8/15/73
8/26/76
12/12/76

Unfortunately, 2 of the dates you are looking for pictures from (8/18/72 & 8/15/73) are Las Vegas shows and because of strict no photography rules at the International/Hilton Hotel, it is often hard to get photos from Elvis' Las Vegas engagements!

One of the dates listed (8/26/76), Elvis wasn't on tour on that day. Elvis' tour started on 8/27/76....perhaps you made a typo? :hmm:

Sorry I couldn't be more help....hopefully someone else here has some more information or maybe has some photos!

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:25 AM
No I didn't take these.

But I do know of the import 2 cdset called "Farewell To Vegas" that has the last las vegas concert from the 12th on it..and disc two has the December 1975 Las Vegas performance on it. Will have to check and see about any footage existing from the show.

Here is a photo from August 28th 1976 Houston gig..a horrible show "supposedly" yet no audio or video has ever surfaced from the show.:hmm:

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Unfortunately, 2 of the dates you are looking for pictures from (8/18/72 & 8/15/73) are Las Vegas shows and because of strict no photography rules at the International/Hilton Hotel, it is often hard to get photos from Elvis' Las Vegas engagements!

One of the dates listed (8/26/76), Elvis wasn't on tour on that day. Elvis' tour started on 8/27/76....perhaps you made a typo? :hmm:

Sorry I couldn't be more help....hopefully someone else here has some more information or maybe has some photos!

TCB!
Mike

Yeah, I realized later it was 8/28/76 -it was the famous Houston show that apparently went down as the worst show Elvis ever did.

The reason I'm looking for these pix and/or videos is these were dates when I either kissed Elvis and got a scarf or both - still hoping to see a picture or video someday!! Really thought when the internet came out I would be able to find it - but here I am 31 years after he died and still looking!!!

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:27 AM
That's the same photo I had of the 8/28/76 show too, Brad! :D

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:29 AM
No I didn't take these.

But I do know of the import 2 cdset called "Farewell To Vegas" that has the last las vegas concert from the 12th on it..and disc two has the December 1975 Las Vegas performance on it. Will have to check and see about any footage existing from the show.

Here is a photo from August 28th 1976 Houston gig..a horrible show "supposedly" yet no audio or video has ever surfaced from the show.:hmm:

Don't you find that strange that a show in a city as big as Houston - there has never been any pictures or videos from that show? I was there - it was bad! I heard JD Sumner say one time that the Houston show was the worst show he ever did.

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Yeah, I realized later it was 8/28/76 -it was the famous Houston show that apparently went down as the worst show Elvis ever did.

The reason I'm looking for these pix and/or videos is these were dates when I either kissed Elvis and got a scarf or both - still hoping to see a picture or video someday!! Really thought when the internet came out I would be able to find it - but here I am 31 years after he died and still looking!!!

No problem...I figured it was just a typo!! :blink:;)

That is interesting...I hadn't heard that particular Houston '76 show was his worst ever....I have always thought that the Baltimore 5/29/77 (where he left the stage for over 20 minutes) was considered to be his worst performance ever? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:30 AM
That's the same photo I had of the 8/28/76 show too, Brad! :D

TCB!
Mike

So far that is the only photo I've ever seen from the show.

Mike, I know your a big fan like me of '70's later performances and so on.. Do you really believe this show was as bad as its been said. I mean, remember for years how they said September 27th 1974 College Park show was so horrible etc and then Straight Arrow Releases Chaos IN College Park and it wasn't nearly as bad as we had been lead to believe over the years.

So i'm not going to say This 8-28-1976 Houston gig was so horrible etc until we get audio evidence. Who knows, just like College park, it may just have been a myth...:hmm:

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:31 AM

That is interesting...I hadn't heard that particular Houston '76 show was his worst ever....I have always thought that the Baltimore 5/29/77 (where he left the stage for over 20 minutes) was considered to be his worst performance ever? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

But when he came back onstage, he was on fire if you ask me,..even doing a little bit of The Wonder Of You..

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Don't you find that strange that a show in a city as big as Houston - there has never been any pictures or videos from that show? I was there - it was bad! I heard JD Sumner say one time that the Houston show was the worst show he ever did.

That is such a shame... :'(

You always hear the stories about how "bad" a show was, but all the times I have heard those stories, it was always second-hand information. I've never actually talked to someone who was at one of those "bad' performances!! And if J.D. Sumner said it was a bad show, it must have been!!!

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:33 AM

TCB!
Mike

September 27th/28th College Park
October 5th 1974 Matinee show Indianapolis
June 6th 1976 Atlanta
Agust 1st 1976 Hamptons Va
May 29th 1977 Baltimore, Maryland
June 19th 1977 Omaha

These are shows that are commonly used as the worst of his performances to fans...and in all honesty, the shows were ok imo all expcept the Oct.th 1974 matinee show the sound is too bad on the cd to really judge the show itself though.

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:35 AM
So far that is the only photo I've ever seen from the show.

Mike, I know your a big fan like me of '70's later performances and so on.. Do you really believe this show was as bad as its been said. I mean, remember for years how they said September 27th 1974 College Park show was so horrible etc and then Straight Arrow Releases Chaos IN College Park and it wasn't nearly as bad as we had been lead to believe over the years.

So i'm not going to say This 8-28-1976 Houston gig was so horrible etc until we get audio evidence. Who knows, just like College park, it may just have been a myth...:hmm:

I'm not sure....is there an audio recording of this Houston '76 show?? I don't believe I've ever seen one... :hmm:

That College Park show is definitely a bad one too....it's a toss-up for me between College Park and Baltimore. I know when he came back on stage in Baltimore, he seemed a little better, but still....that's a bad sign when the star has to leave the stage for over 20 minutes!!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
That is such a shame... :'(

You always hear the stories about how "bad" a show was, but all the times I have heard those stories, it was always second-hand information. I've never actually talked to someone who was at one of those "bad' performances!! And if J.D. Sumner said it was a bad show, it must have been!!!

TCB!
Mike

Trust me - it was bad and I saw him quite a few times! My older brother had never seen him so my mom talked him and his wife into going. My mom was embarrassed - it was really pretty sad!!! His words were slurred, he moved slow, he just wasn't himself. JD said later that what happened was he was in San Antonio the night before. The show in Houston was thought to be an evening show - he took his meds and then they realized it was an afternoon show and they could hardly get him awake to do it???? Of course, after the show I was on the radio station defending him but after 8/77 - I had to deal with the fact I was in denial. However, in Vegas in 12-76 totally different Elvis!!

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure....is there an audio recording of this Houston '76 show?? I don't believe I've ever seen one... :hmm:

That College Park show is definitely a bad one too....it's a toss-up for me between College Park and Baltimore. I know when he came back on stage in Baltimore, he seemed a little better, but still....that's a bad sign when the star has to leave the stage for over 20 minutes!!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

No, no audio exist from the Houston show. Your right, that is definitley a sign that something is terribly wrong. I recall reading where Elvis returned to the stage and had the Microphone down and John Wilkison heard Elvis say.."you know, sometimes if just f****** hurts"...He was obviously in very bad condition. John also said when Elvis would walk around the stage and make sudden movements his face would look like he was in pain just moving around.:'(

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:38 AM
I've never heard an audio of the Houston show. And, have seen only a couple of pictures.

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:38 AM
September 27th/28th College Park
October 5th 1974 Matinee show Indianapolis
June 6th 1976 Atlanta
Agust 1st 1976 Hamptons Va
May 29th 1977 Baltimore, Maryland
June 19th 1977 Omaha
These are shows that are commonly used as the worst of his performances to fans...and in all honesty, the shows were ok imo all expcept the Oct.th 1974 matinee show the sound is too bad on the cd to really judge the show itself though.

Well, maybe a "bad show" is in the ears of the listener....I don't think that the show in Hampton Roads. on 8/1/76 is that bad of a show...he even does a bit of RETURN TO SENDER by request!! :hmm:

I think the reputation of the OMAHA '77 show is more soiled because of the video being out there. If there was no video, and we had to go by just the audio of this show, I don't think it would be thought of as badly as others. Just my opinion though... :blink:

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:39 AM
No, no audio exist from the Houston show. Your right, that is definitley a sign that something is terribly wrong. I recall reading where Elvis returned to the stage and had the Microphone down and John Wilkison heard Elvis say.."you know, sometimes if just f****** hurts"...He was obviously in very bad condition. John also said when Elvis would walk around the stage and make sudden movements his face would look like he was in pain just moving around.:'(

Do you have your own ideas as to what was causing the pain?

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Trust me - it was bad and I saw him quite a few times! My older brother had never seen him so my mom talked him and his wife into going. My mom was embarrassed - it was really pretty sad!!! His words were slurred, he moved slow, he just wasn't himself. JD said later that what happened was he was in San Antonio the night before. The show in Houston was thought to be an evening show - he took his meds and then they realized it was an afternoon show and they could hardly get him awake to do it???? Of course, after the show I was on the radio station defending him but after 8/77 - I had to deal with the fact I was in denial. However, in Vegas in 12-76 totally different Elvis!!

During this time, was it when Dr Nick had left Elvis and Elvis took the wrong meds and they called and begged Dr Nick to get back to Elvis and help get him back on the right medication he was suppose to take because the shows were a disaster when Dr Nick left because Elvis just mixed different pills together not knowing really what he was doing.

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Do you have your own ideas as to what was causing the pain?

It's a horrible subject but not to get to detailed in the later years Elvis had a really bad intestine problem and had trouble. The pills had complety ruined his insides.

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:41 AM

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

That is so sad to hear....I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be witnessing that!!

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't remember if Dr. Nic was on that tour or not but his son Dean was.

Jungleroom76

I've heard that same story Brad!! Many of his associates and band members have said the same thing about some of the shows during the summer of '76 as well!!

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
I don't remember if Dr. Nic was on that tour or not but his son Dean was.

Didn't Dean start working for Elvis ?

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:43 AM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

That is so sad to hear....I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be witnessing that!!

TCB!
Mike

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I was about as in bad of shape as Elvis was!!

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:43 AM
It's a horrible subject but not to get to detailed in the later years Elvis had a really bad intestine problem and had trouble. The pills had complety ruined his insides.

All of the downers he had taken over the years had slowed down his digestive system to the point where it just didn't work the way it should anymore... :'(

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I was about as in bad of shape as Elvis was!!

But for two TOTALLY different reasons, I'm sure...

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:44 AM

Yes, he did. Was with him til he died and then continued working at Graceland as security at the house and grave for awhile.

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:48 AM
But for two TOTALLY different reasons, I'm sure...

TCB!
Mike

(hiding under the table as she writes this)...well, yes, I got knocked over the rail reaching for a scarf and was knocked out - carried back to a room behind the stage and like Elvis - I couldn't wake up either! :D:D

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:49 AM
(hiding under the table as she writes this)...well, yes, I got knocked over the rail reaching for a scarf and was knocked out - carried back to a room behind the stage and like Elvis - I couldn't wake up either! :D:D

WOW!!!! :supriced:

Now THERE'S a story... ;)

TCB!
Mike

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Don't forget though that Gail was there. If she says it was bad.....it was bad.:blink:

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:52 AM
WOW!!!! :supriced:

Now THERE'S a story... ;)

TCB!
Mike

Yeah, it's a story alright!!! Linda Thompson and Jackie Kahane came to my rescue until the paramedics got there - I was out cold!! I talked to Sam Thompson last August and asked if he remembered that. He said he did. Now, he did tell me something that amazed me. He said there was a Houston cop named Happy ??? that had been assigned to Elvis in Houston. He said as they were leaving he asked Happy to see if he could find out if I was ok. Now, that was pretty cool - if he didn't make that up.

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:54 AM
But, what was worse than it being bad - IT WAS SAD!!!

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah, it's a story alright!!! Linda Thompson and Jackie Kahane came to my rescue until the paramedics got there - I was out cold!! I talked to Sam Thompson last August and asked if he remembered that. He said he did. Now, he did tell me something that amazed me. He said there was a Houston cop named Happy ??? that had been assigned to Elvis in Houston. He said as they were leaving he asked Happy to see if he could find out if I was ok. Now, that was pretty cool - if he didn't make that up.

DOUBLE WOW!!! :supriced: :supriced:

What a story!!! Thanks for sharing it...as painful as it must have been for you!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah, it's quite an embarrassing story but at least I can laugh at myself now!! I did get a scarf though - even though it was hand delivered to me by Joe Esposito - DARN!!!!

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 04:58 AM
You know how you see in the movies where a fan falls over the balcony and lands on their head??? :D:D Well...............that was Gail!

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, maybe a "bad show" is in the ears of the listener....I don't think that the show in Hampton Roads. on 8/1/76 is that bad of a show...he even does a bit of RETURN TO SENDER by request!! :hmm:

I think the reputation of the OMAHA '77 show is more soiled because of the video being out there. If there was no video, and we had to go by just the audio of this show, I don't think it would be thought of as badly as others. Just my opinion though... :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Mike I think the same thing of the August 1st 1976 performance.

Thought the show was good, except for Elvis' voice he sounds so tired but still gave an ok to good show imo. I listen to that cd "The Bicentennial Experience" quiet often..guess i'm just one of those who enjoy the good and bad..(y)but I really don't think this was bad show in all honesty.

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 05:24 AM
All of the downers he had taken over the years had slowed down his digestive system to the point where it just didn't work the way it should anymore... :'(

TCB!
Mike

Thats exactly right..and to get downright to the point, his body could literally function no more without the pills where he had relied on them for so long.

Tony Trout
02-13-2008, 05:38 AM

I'd often wondered why it's so hard to find photos of Elvis's Las Vegas engagement! Thanks for the info, Mike!!

TCB!
Mike

It's been going around for a long time that the Houston show definitely was a "low" point for Elvis and considered to be one of (if not his worst shows) ever.

Didn't people walk out in the middle of the show because of Elvis's condition?

Yes, he did.

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Thought so..thanks Tony;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm with you Mike on how Elvis is perceived through how he looks during a show and base their opinion on that rather than the voice!

I admit Elvis did some stinkers over 74-77, but they are not nearly as bad (although there are exceptions) as people make out.

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe someday that audio will appear of that show and yall can listen and let me know what you think then.

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Didn't people walk out in the middle of the show because of Elvis's condition?

If you're talking about the Houston show, yes I do believe my mom told me people were leaving. I'm going to try and find the review of that show from the Houston Chronicle and post it. It was such a bad review, after he died, the guy that wrote the review for the Houston show, actually apologized in the newspaper.

Tony Trout
02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
If you're talking about the Houston show, yes I do believe my mom told me people were leaving. I'm going to try and find the review of that show from the Houston Chronicle and post it. It was such a bad review, after he died, the guy that wrote the review for the Houston show, actually apologized in the newspaper.

Gail,

Yes, I'm referring to the Houston show. I'd love to read the review from the show....

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Gail, thank you for sharing these stories with us.....I'm sorry you were knocked out like that - I'm glad you are okay from it and nothing serious happened. I love hearing everyone's Elvis experiences as I have none.....I was only 9 1/2 when he died - 2 weeks before my 10th birthday.......saddest day of my life.

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Gail, thank you for sharing these stories with us.....I'm sorry you were knocked out like that - I'm glad you are okay from it and nothing serious happened. I love hearing everyone's Elvis experiences as I have none.....I was only 9 1/2 when he died - 2 weeks before my 10th birthday.......saddest day of my life.
Kelly.....you need to share your story about your poster and what your sister did to it. I know that sounds funny now, but it also shows how sad you were in August of 77. :D

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm with you Mike on how Elvis is perceived through how he looks during a show and base their opinion on that rather than the voice!

Exactly. Which is why I choose not to say well this is Elvis' worst concert (8-28-1976) when there is no AUDIO evidence to support that claim.

I admit Elvis did some stinkers over 74-77, but they are not nearly as bad (although there are exceptions) as people make out.

My thoughts exactly JJ. Lake Tahoe May of 1976 for example. Elvis looks were very bad, bloated horribly, yet the shows were all very good for the most part (For the most part I repeat;)).

SweetCaroline
02-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Dang, Gail, you've had some interesting awesome adventures Elvis wise!!! :D

SweetCaroline
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it's quite an embarrassing story but at least I can laugh at myself now!! I did get a scarf though - even though it was hand delivered to me by Joe Esposito - DARN!!!!

You are one VERY COOL Elvis:king: fan, Gail. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Sure glad you post among us!!!

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM

I'll second that..thank you for sharing these stories with us Gail!!(y):lol:;)

Tony Trout
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM

You are one VERY COOL Elvis:king: fan, Gail. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Sure glad you post among us!!!

I'll second that..thank you for sharing these stories with us Gail!!(y):lol:;)

I'll 3rd and 4th and 5th that! You are an asset to these boards, Gail! Thanks for sharing your stories, girl!! (y)(y)(y)

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Kelly.....you need to share your story about your poster and what your sister did to it. I know that sounds funny now, but it also shows how sad you were in August of 77. :D

Well okay, if you insist!!!

I was 9 yrs old and I had an Elvis "Live In Las Vegas" poster (which Rosanne and I have since found it to be Aloha!) on the back of my bedroom door.....well....of course my youngest sister who was only like 4 at the time figured she'd get an ink pen and scratch all over my poster!!! I couldn't believe she did that!!! Not only was I crying from him dying, but from her ruining my beautiful poster!!! (she did this around the time he died)

So now today, I'm 40 and she's - well younger than me still - and all these years that has been a "joke" between us. I keep telling her she owes me that poster.

Lo and behold on ebay a little while back - I found that poster!!!! And I bought it!!! Yee-Haw!!! Rosanne has same one too. It is now hanging where it belongs on my bedroom wall......AND NOBODY BETTER TOUCH IT! :lmfao:

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Well okay, if you insist!!!

I was 9 yrs old and I had an Elvis "Live In Las Vegas" poster (which Rosanne and I have since found it to be Aloha!) on the back of my bedroom door.....well....of course my youngest sister who was only like 4 at the time figured she'd get an ink pen and scratch all over my poster!!! I couldn't believe she did that!!! Not only was I crying from him dying, but from her ruining my beautiful poster!!! (she did this around the time he died)

So now today, I'm 40 and she's - well younger than me still - and all these years that has been a "joke" between us. I keep telling her she owes me that poster.

Lo and behold on ebay a little while back - I found that poster!!!! And I bought it!!! Yee-Haw!!! Rosanne has same one too. It is now hanging where it belongs on my bedroom wall......AND NOBODY BETTER TOUCH IT! :lmfao:
(y)(y)(y)(y) It's a sad story with a good outcome! (y)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
You see why my hubby hopes that we come back from Memphis in one piece? :lol::lol:

SweetCaroline
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
You see why my hubby hopes that we come back from Memphis in one piece? :lol::lol:

Yes, I understand his concerns. :lmfao:
If not in one piece at least with some awesome adventures and memories. :D Gail said in a post the other day that she was still a fun gal. I totally believe her. :notworthy :D
I hope you two have a blast and I am pretty darn sure you will! :)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Gail said in a post the other day that she was still a fun gal. I totally believe her. :notworthy :D
I hope you two have a blast and I am pretty darn sure you will! :)

She is lots of fun!(y) We laugh sometimes during our phone talks like I haven't laughed in years!(y) We will have to take a lap top with us and post and scan daily.....like "on the scene reporters". :lmfao::lmfao:

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Rosanne, when are you guys going to Memphis????

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Rosanne, when are you guys going to Memphis????
Probably in June. We would like to go sooner, but I've got a son graduating from UT in May..so I have a "break" between college and Law School for him in the fall.:D And, after May, NO MORE Fraternity dues!!!! (y)(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd often wondered why it's so hard to find photos of Elvis's Las Vegas engagement! Thanks for the info, Mike!!

No problem Tony....but that is why Vegas photos are at such a premium! A few shows in Vegas during the Aug./Sept. 1973 engagement were quite well documented in photos in a book entitled CAUGHT IN A TRAP. The book was put together by Arjan Deelen of Elvis Unlimited. It is an interesting book, especially since quite a few of the photos are from the infamous closing show on Sept. 3rd! (This, of course, is the show that was issued by FTD on the CLOSING NIGHT CD where Elvis was in a very "odd" mood to say the least!) :blink:

Aside from this book, the pictures from his Vegas engagements are unfortunately few and far between... :'(

It's been going around for a long time that the Houston show definitely was a "low" point for Elvis and considered to be one of (if not his worst shows) ever.

I honestly don't remember hearing this before....but maybe I have and just don't really have any recollection of it, since there is no audio of the show and I haven't heard it. If I had, I would CERTAINLY remember it if it was indeed THAT bad!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Exactly J.J....as I have said before, most people claim the Omaha '77 show is a bad show because they have seen the video and he obviously doesn't look his best. But, if there was no video of that show, and we only had the audio to go by, how many people would change their view of the show?? :hmm:

And you are also right....there are indeed SOME shows that Elvis gave in the later 70's which definitely were far from his best, and I am the first person to admit that. But defining a concert as "good" or "bad" is in the ears of the listener...

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
My thoughts exactly JJ. Lake Tahoe May of 1976 for example. Elvis looks were very bad, bloated horribly, yet the shows were all very good for the most part (For the most part I repeat;)).

A GREAT EXAMPLE BRAD!! (y)

Yes, Elvis was VERY bloated throughout the entire Tahoe '76 engagement....but the audio documentation of those shows, where available, prove that while he may not have been at his absolute best, they certainly weren't horrible shows...in fact, his closing show on May 9th was a very good and extra long show with some great concert rarities thrown in (Young and Beautiful, Return To Sender, One Night, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face)!!

TCB!
Mike

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Gail, have you tried Sean Shaver's web site? There are pics on there of gals getting kisses and it asks - "is this you"?????

TotallyInsane
02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Gail, have you tried Sean Shaver's web site? There are pics on there of gals getting kisses and it asks - "is this you"?????

Yeah, been there and tried that one too! I've been working on my Japanese to see if I can post some adds in Japan!!! :D

But, seriously, in 12/76 at the table next to us was a whole table of people from Japan and they had a serious 35mm camera and were taking pictures. I just hope since it was their table I ran down that I didn't hurt their camera!!:D:D My mom never would let me try and take pictures cause she was afraid we'd get caught and if you got caught you were asked to leave - OMG NEVER!!!!!!

TotallyInsane
02-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I'll 3rd and 4th and 5th that! You are an asset to these boards, Gail! Thanks for sharing your stories, girl!! (y)(y)(y)

Well, thank you, thank you ALL very much!! I love this place! And, I can talk Elvis all night long - just ask Rosanne!!!

I truly do wish I had taken more notes or wrote stuff down years ago because believe it or not I have forgotten some things!!! But, the important ones are etched in the brain forever something like "pressed between the pages of my mind"....

Unchained Melody
02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
A GREAT EXAMPLE BRAD!! (y)

Yes, Elvis was VERY bloated throughout the entire Tahoe '76 engagement....but the audio documentation of those shows, where available, prove that while he may not have been at his absolute best, they certainly weren't horrible shows...in fact, his closing show on May 9th was a very good and extra long show with some great concert rarities thrown in (Young and Beautiful, Return To Sender, One Night, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face)!!

TCB!
Mike

Agreed. I thought the Engagement featured for the most part solid good shows. Elvis was usually in a good mood, entertaining the fans. I love the Mother's Day show which was the extra long show your talking about I believe..and the engagement featured some rare songs for the time like the ones youve already mentioned plus others like It's Midnight..that was a treat hearing a complete version of it done in 1976 and not just a one liner etc.

But yeah, Houston is supposedly the worst of worst from people
s accounts of the show..maybe one day we will have audio evidence and will can decide for ourself if that was true or not...