PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Movie

nabelt24
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
OK... if they ever made a true big screen, epic production of Elvis Presley's story, what actor do you think could pull it off? Has anyone ever thought that Johnny Depp would make a good Elvis? Who would you choose?

Burning_Love
01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Johnny Depp is cooool :clap: i would love him to play Elvis. But i can't see him doing the dancing and singing for some reason.
:hmm:..who would i pick ? I like Nicolas Cage. (y)

utmom2008
01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
No one can play Elvis in a big screen, big epic type movie. Elvis is larger than life...I think that's why no one has ever attempted to do it..:hmm:

TCBnAflash
01-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Dep used to kinda look like Elvis when he was younger but not all the way. The same with Jason Priestly of 90210.
I think that EPE was charging too much to use the Elvis songs to put on the big screen. I might be wrong. It sometimes pisses me off that, Johnny Cash dies and less than a year later they have major movie out, with an actor that looks nothing like him and to top it off, they set it up to win an Oscar.
Elvis was a lot more famous and did enough in his life time to make 3 movies.

franny
01-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Johnny Depp is a great actor, who has played a lot of versatile roles, so you never know.. :P

I think it would also be great if they found an unknown actor with some features similar to Elvis, who could lip synch and act...:lol:

franny

cameron
01-26-2008, 12:25 AM
No one can play Elvis in a big screen, big epic type movie. Elvis is larger than life...I think that's why no one has ever attempted to do it..:hmm:

Gotta agree with this one.
I'd love to see a movie about Elvis.I've seen no one yet that could do it. I liked Kurt Russell, but so far I've seen no one that's even come close .

Alessia
01-26-2008, 01:34 AM
OK... if they ever made a true big screen, epic production of Elvis Presley's story, what actor do you think could pull it off? Has anyone ever thought that Johnny Depp would make a good Elvis? Who would you choose?

Peter Guralnick said a few years ago when he sold the film rights to Last Train to Memphis that Johnny Depp would be his pick for the young Elvis. Johnny Depp still looks young for his age, but not quite young enough any more to play Elvis from 54-58, I don't think.

But it would have been good casting, IMO. Or as good as you're going to get, anyway. I think Johnny Depp actually plays guitar, too.

I think that EPE was charging too much to use the Elvis songs to put on the big screen. I might be wrong. It sometimes pisses me off that, Johnny Cash dies and less than a year later they have major movie out, with an actor that looks nothing like him and to top it off, they set it up to win an Oscar.
Elvis was a lot more famous and did enough in his life time to make 3 movies.

I think it's easier to do these music biopics about singers who aren't as famous as Elvis. People don't know their stories as well, they haven't seen as many pictures of them, so they can't pick apart the movies -- and Walk the Line should have been picked apart, because it was pretty much pure fiction (although much better acted than the recent Elvis miniseries with Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

john carpenter
01-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm with franny on this, an unknown would be a good choice. If they had to pick a known Celebrity.. Michael Gerard.. THe actor who played Elvis in Great Balls of Fire and Elvis the mini-series.

Lisarose
01-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I would love to see Johnny Depp as Elvis. He's such a great actor in a lot of different type roles. Is he too old? I don't think so. But would we want to see a complete bio-pic?
Personally, I'd like to see a film about one particular time in his life. Either his time in the army where he's on manuevers and trying to convince his bunkmates that he doesn't expect any favors, or his early beginnings where he & the BlueMoon boys are driving from state to state to do the Hayride shows.

LianaKaralivanou
01-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, I was wondering... Do you think that it is a good idea if an Elvis impersonator (a good one like Shawn Klush or Trent Carlini for example) played the role of Elvis? I can't think of any actor that he can actually sing, dance and play Elvis Presley...

Lisarose
01-26-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't know that I would want an Elvis impersonator, just a great actor. For me, if it were an impersonator or ETA, I don't think I'd pay attention to the content of the movie, I'd be concerned about with searching out flaws & inconsistencies. The music could be lip-synched for all I cared, but I would rather the actor did his own singing since no one can sing like Elvis, IMO.
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job singing in Walk the Line, and in some songs, it could have been Johnny Cash, but I never took him to BE Johnny Cash, nor would I want him to be an exact Johnny Cash.

Sonny
01-26-2008, 01:25 PM
They could use several actors for the Elvis part. Like they did with the new Bob Dylan movie.

Tommy
01-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Filmmakers would have to do a search for an actor to play Elvis, like they did for Gone With The Wind, for Scarlet's role. A world-wide search. I truly believe there will never be anyone who could really capture Elvis. He was one of a kind, the likes of which we will never see again.

cameron
01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJfBD50PsU

Kurt Russell as Elvis : 1979 .
The only one I've ever liked .

utmom2008
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJfBD50PsU

Kurt Russell as Elvis : 1979 .
The only one I've ever liked .
I have always agreed with that Cameron. He was far and away the best, so was the movie, than anything that has been done since. (y)

TotallyInsane
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Trent Carlini - PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

nabelt24
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
EXCLUDING all impersonators/tribute artists - what actor do you think could capture the essence of Elvis as well as Kurt Russell did?

What director could pull it off?

Getlo
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
A large-scale biopic on Elvis would fail at the box office.

Practically everyone - general public included - knows the basic story. It would add nothing new whatsoever. Virtaully everything that could be said about Elvis has already been said.

And if EPE was invloved, you can get it would be a whitewash: all of the "bad" stuff would be overlooked.

The reason why Walk The Line, and to a lesser extent Ray, did so well is that the stories of Johnny Cash and Ray Charles were largely unknown to most of the world.

Sammycakes
01-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Although you'll never find anyone that looks as beautiful as Elvis did, I've always felt that John Cusack had a very Elvis-like quality. Especially if you look at the way Elvis looked in the mid-sixties when he was in Hollywood doing the movies.
I'm not sure if he could pull off the dancing and lip-synching, though. In my opinion, it would be a bad idea to make a movie like that anyway because you know that no one will get it right.

EP6873
01-30-2008, 07:18 AM
There has been some talk about making a movie about Michael Jackson's life, similar to Walk The Line and Ray. Johnny Depp was asked about being offered the leading role and he said that he would be interested.

It is interesting that people think he would be good as Elvis and Michael Jackson.

Getlo
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
There has been some talk about making a movie about Michael Jackson's life Johnny Depp was asked about being offered the leading role and he said that he would be interested.

This info is all over those spoof news sites.

The idea of Johnny Depp playing Michael Jackson is ridiculous!

It's a gag ...

rickb
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
A guy by the name of Oliver Platt (he has been in heaps of things like Lake Placid) would make a good 70s Elvis.
Rick

Getlo
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
A guy by the name of Oliver Platt (he has been in heaps of things like Lake Placid) would make a good 70s Elvis.
Rick

Only for '76 and '77 though. He's too pudgy for anything earlier.