PDA

View Full Version : I got a serious question about the 77 Elvis image?

keke23
01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm not nockin Elvis's weight or anyone here, so please don't come down on me for sayin this.

Why are so many of yall so caught up in the 77 Elvis image?

There was a guy who used to post at the E1 board who would post nothin but 77 pics. Then when everyone would ask him not to, he'd do it anyway. Out of all the good sexy pics of Elvis, he posted the overweight unattractive pics.

I always wondered if he was tryin to piss off us female fans or if he was even a fan in the first place.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

IMO, a real true supportive fan wouldn't be promotin the worst of their idol or hero like that.

Elvis was such a gorgeous man in his earlier days leadin up to his last couple years.

Why do some of yall use that bad image of him in his worst of health when there's so many of him lookin hip, flashy and stylish, not to mention.....sexy as hell!? I don't get it.

I mean, the fans get all mad because of all the drugged up fat jokes, but yall add to the problem by havin avatars of him in 77 where younger newer fans see and realize why those jokes are out there.

I've noticed this for a while but just ignored it.

Whenever I see that image, I wanna cry for him. He looked bad, health wise, and sick. I don't see 56, or 68 or even 73 Elvis when I see him at the end. I see a dyin man. It's a sad sight.:'(:'(:'(:'(

IMO, I think he would want that period of his life forgotten and just remembered for his best years, which IMO, his very best were 68-70.

If there's anything I support of EPE it's the fact that they stay away from the EIC stuff.

That's not the Elvis that should be seen by the public, IMO.

utmom2008
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Why do some of yall use that bad image of him in his worst of health when there's so many of him lookin hip, flashy and stylish, not to mention.....sexy as hell!? I don't get it.

Whenever I see that image, I wanna cry for him. He looked bad, health wise, and sick. I don't see 56, or 68 or even 73 Elvis when I see him at the end. I see a dyin man. It's a sad sight.:'(:'(:'(:'(

I can't answer your question Lakeisha...I have wondered at times myself.:hmm: But, I know that there is a group here that live and die with the term "77 was pure Elvis". I think you might want to duck....:blush:

keke23
01-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah I know.

I don't get that at all!

I didn't think he was all that bad, until I saw a video copy of EIC one day, from a guy who collected Elvis, and had brought his car in for repair at my boyfriend's body shop.

I litterally cried when I saw it. :(

MissyM
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I have a hard time focusing on it too because he looked great a lot more than he ever looked bad. I remember watching the show on T.V., it saddened me to the point of sickness in my tummy. I'm telling you, I told my husband that Elvis wouldn't be with us long. I just knew it. So I don't even like to think about it.

ksimms2
01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah I know.

I don't get that at all!

I didn't think he was all that bad, until I saw a video copy of EIC one day, from a guy who collected Elvis, and had brought his car in for repair at my boyfriend's body shop.

I litterally cried when I saw it. :(

I cried when I saw it too Lakeisha. Not all 77 pics of him are bad though....but I see what you are saying.....but maybe because most of us accept Elvis at every stage in his life. It doesn't bother me to see the pics - although there are more attractive ones out there.

Diane
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I was heartsick when I saw EIC too and it worried me no end. I knew if something wasn't done quickly, he'd be gone soon. I held it together until he was at the piano singing Unchained Melody and looked up at Charlie and that did me in.

I agree, Elvis looked wonderful for most of his life and career, I can understand some looking at his later ill looking pictures, but I can't understand when that is all they dwell on. I sure don't and I never think of him that way.

Diane

Alessia
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM
If there's anything I support of EPE it's the fact that they stay away from the EIC stuff.

That's not the Elvis that should be seen by the public, IMO.

I'm totally with EPE on that one, too. I can't remember who called EIC Elvis' Zapruder film, but that's what it is. It's horribly sad.

And I don't think that's the image of Elvis the general public should have.

utmom2008
01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I was heartsick when I saw EIC too and it worried me no end. I knew if something wasn't done quickly, he'd be gone soon. I held it together until he was at the piano singing Unchained Melody and looked up at Charlie and that did me in.

I agree, Elvis looked wonderful for most of his life and career, I can understand some looking at his later ill looking pictures, but I can't understand when that is all they dwell on. I sure don't and I never think of him that way.

Diane
I think you guys are forgetting something......EIC was not shown until October 3, 1977..

Gerianne
01-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Well as you can see from my avatar, this is the Elvis I love - sexy! A lot of people think of Elvis from his later years when he put weight on. They just seem to dwell on this image and it is something I could never understand.

Lonniebealestreet
01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I doubt that any fans are intentionally trying to irritate others by posting pics of Elvis in '77 or by trying to accentuate the positives of the period, or are actually doing harm by having '77 Elvis avatars.

In fact, I would say the opposite is true. The estate in recent years has taken baby steps towards acknowledging 1977 Elvis but by and large they don't want to go there. I personally believe that there just aren't that many people out there in any age group who have not heard the bad jokes, some bad information, or have not been fed an image of a grossly obese man singing in Las Vegas to blue-haired old ladies, addicted to drugs, died on the toilet, etc.

That's not all untrue about Elvis towards the end but the fact is that some people think he was a much bigger man than he actually was. True, there weren't so many happy times, but he wasn't always depressed. True, he didn't look too good during most of '77, but there are some photos and videos in which he did.

By not addressing this time period, and without evidence to contradict some of the gross exaggerations that have been put out there and exist in people's minds, they are left to believe all of that.

In spite of what some people think, people who like Elvis in '77 are not all delusional and they don't even all wear rose-colored glasses. And even if the efforts of those people do not change people's thinking on Elvis, it is not right to criticize them for trying, or liking what they like. Fact is Elvis in '77 is who the man ultimately became and personally I can't understand how some fans can deny this period or look so down upon it. It is Elvis Presley.

I can certainly understand it being upsetting however.

I am open-minded about all periods of Elvis' life and career and under no illusions about any one of them. Like all of you I choose to like what I like and like some periods more than others and I can't see how on earth that would make someone less of a fan. But his entire life, beginning to tragic end, makes for an incredibly fascinating subject, doesn't it? I think that is why most of us are here.

Does anyone think he was "sexier" in '77 than in '56, '68, '70, '73? I don't think so. It's not about that. I would suggest that '77 Elvis is promoted rather than these other periods by the people you speak of because they need no promotion. Those periods are undeniable, well spoken for, and obviously the guy looked kinda good then ;) and made most of his best music in those years.

Back to the photos of Elvis in '77...Some of us just really enjoy seeing slivers of time from the period in which Elvis appeared to be doing better than conventional wisdom suggests or when he appeared to be doing better than we know he actually was. He was depressed, no doubt, but when you see him onstage flashing that famous smile you have to realize that if only temporarily, the man was enjoying himself. Isn't that nice to see?

So it's about a few different things: dispelling some untruths (like that he weighed over 300 pounds) and seeing glimpses of happiness when overall there wasn't much of that and seeing some flattering photos when maybe he didn't look that good overall but they need to be shown up against the unflattering photos from the same period/month/week/day.

I agree that EPE is wise to not promote EIC mass-market, but there is a place for it. And there are a number of fans who are not completely turned off when they see it and actually see a lot of good in it, in spite of the obvious decline. And a new edit could also be done a whole lot better than the original rush-release. But alas, that has been discussed ad nauseam.

Diane
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
You're right Rosanne, my memory was faulty there but that is the way I thought when I saw that concert. I still wasn't thinking of him gone. That took quite a while to sink in.

Diane

Gary1
01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I doubt that any fans are intentionally trying to irritate others by posting pics of Elvis in '77 or by trying to accentuate the positives of the period, or are actually doing harm by having '77 Elvis avatars.

In fact, I would say the opposite is true. The estate in recent years has taken baby steps towards acknowledging 1977 Elvis but by and large they don't want to go there. I personally believe that there just aren't that many people out there in any age group who have not heard the bad jokes, some bad information, or have not been fed an image of a grossly obese man singing in Las Vegas to blue-haired old ladies, addicted to drugs, died on the toilet, etc.

That's not all untrue about Elvis towards the end but the fact is that some people think he was a much bigger man than he actually was. True, there weren't so many happy times, but he wasn't always depressed. True, he didn't look too good during most of '77, but there are some photos and videos in which he did.

By not addressing this time period, and without evidence to contradict some of the gross exaggerations that have been put out there and exist in people's minds, they are left to believe all of that.

In spite of what some people think, people who like Elvis in '77 are not all delusional and they don't even all wear rose-colored glasses. And even if the efforts of those people do not change people's thinking on Elvis, it is not right to criticize them for trying, or liking what they like. Fact is Elvis in '77 is who the man ultimately became and personally I can't understand how some fans can deny this period or look so down upon it. It is Elvis Presley.

I can certainly understand it being upsetting however.

I am open-minded about all periods of Elvis' life and career and under no illusions about any one of them. Like all of you I choose to like what I like and like some periods more than others and I can't see how on earth that would make someone less of a fan. But his entire life, beginning to tragic end, makes for an incredibly fascinating subject, doesn't it? I think that is why most of us are here.

Does anyone think he was "sexier" in '77 than in '56, '68, '70, '73? I don't think so. It's not about that. I would suggest that '77 Elvis is promoted rather than these other periods by the people you speak of because they need no promotion. Those periods are undeniable, well spoken for, and obviously the guy looked kinda good then ;) and made most of his best music in those years.

Back to the photos of Elvis in '77...Some of us just really enjoy seeing slivers of time from the period in which Elvis appeared to be doing better than conventional wisdom suggests or when he appeared to be doing better than we know he actually was. He was depressed, no doubt, but when you see him onstage flashing that famous smile you have to realize that if only temporarily, the man was enjoying himself. Isn't that nice to see?

So it's about a few different things: dispelling some untruths (like that he weighed over 300 pounds) and seeing glimpses of happiness when overall there wasn't much of that and seeing some flattering photos when maybe he didn't look that good overall but they need to be shown up against the unflattering photos from the same period/month/week/day.

I agree that EPE is wise to not promote EIC mass-market, but there is a place for it. And there are a number of fans who are not completely turned off when they see it and actually see a lot of good in it, in spite of the obvious decline. And a new edit could also be done a whole lot better than the original rush-release. But alas, that has been discussed ad nauseam.Great post i couldn't agree more.(y)

LianaKaralivanou
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
It's strange but everytime I take a look at Elvis during the year 1977, I feel like I love him even more. Elvis wasn't just the good looking man living in Graceland, he was and still is much more than that. And BECAUSE of his situation the last year of his life (overweight, drug addiction, broken marriage, etc.), I see him as a hurt human being and that made me love him more...

Rover
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Ok, Elvis didn't look as good in 77 as he did when he was younger, but he was far from being ugly in 77 IMO :)
Except some pics where you can clearly see he was sick or err..something (these kind of pics make me really sad), I think it is nice to see pics from the late 70s...he was still Elvis, there was something in the poses, the smile, etc...Actually he looks more "human" to me when he got older. It reminds me he was like everyone else, vulnerable...
The only problem I have with his image in the late 70s is that it is the first thing shown today. Before becoming a big fan like I am today, the image I had of Elvis was the one of a fat drug addict...and I didn't even know any of his songs at that time. I don't know where I get this image, I guess it is just the most obvious trace he left in mass culture.

utmom2008
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
You're right Rosanne, my memory was faulty there but that is the way I thought when I saw that concert. I still wasn't thinking of him gone. That took quite a while to sink in.

I can relate to that as well. I last saw him on Dec. 28, 76
, and you can look at the pics that someone posted(there is a pic from 1 night later) that it wasn't nearly as bad as it became. When I saw EIC I was stunned, and I remember thinking "OMG....no wonder he has died". :'(:'(

rocknroll
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
There was a guy who used to post at the E1 board who would post nothin but 77 pics. Then when everyone would ask him not to, he'd do it anyway. Out of all the good sexy pics of Elvis, he posted the overweight unattractive pics.

That same poster is on here also posting nothing but '77 pictures.

I think it is an attempt to convince people that Elvis never lost it.

cameron
01-11-2008, 09:52 PM

By not addressing this time period, and without evidence to contradict some of the gross exaggerations that have been put out there and exist in people's minds, they are left to believe all of that.[/B
[B]In spite of what some people think, people who like Elvis in '77 are not all delusional and they don't even all wear rose-colored glasses. And even if the efforts of those people do not change people's thinking on Elvis, it is not right to criticize them for trying, or liking what they like. Fact is Elvis in '77 is who the man ultimately became and personally I can't understand how some fans can deny this period or look so down upon it. It is Elvis Presley.I can certainly understand it being upsetting however.

I agree that EPE is wise to not promote EIC mass-market, but there is a place for it. And there are a number of fans who are not completely turned off when they see it and actually see a lot of good in it, in spite of the obvious decline. And a new edit could also be done a whole lot better than the original rush-release. But alas, that has been discussed ad nauseam.

A very well expressed opinion. It's what some try to say; but get put down and made fun of. Some accept the man as he is/was ....it wasn't all about his looks .Never has been.

I just met a friend of my grandson who's 15 1/2 that's a fanatic Elvis fan.
She just went nutty over some of the things I have. I advised her to not get on any Elvis sites on the computer; she might get hurt .

Jim Saidhello
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
To really understand the '77 phenomenon, you'll also have to dig into the fascination with Elvis' death. Though all of us are saddened that he's gone, many of us feel that he passed from human being into legend that year.

Elvis had both inner beauty and physical good looks throughout most of his life. To me, the more ravaged his body became towards the end, the more we could see his bright spirit shining through it. I sometimes wonder if his bloating was deliberate, to diminish the pretty face that was all the public saw in hopes that his equally beautiful soul might get some attention.

Lonniebealestreet
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the supportive comments to my post.

I like what has been said about his downfall making him seem more human and thus, more endearing.

utmom2008
01-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I sometimes wonder if his bloating was deliberate, to diminish the pretty face that was all the public saw in hopes that his equally beautiful soul might get some attention.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I doubt that Elvis himself enjoyed his physical problems and the side effects that went along with it.:blush:

Diane
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
To me Elvis never really did lose it completely. Even though it hurt to see him in EIC, I still saw "Elvis" standing there with his fantastic voice. It was his struggling to get through the concert that hurt, but his voice and the emotion he put into his songs were still there....and that SMILE!

Diane

john carpenter
01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I posted a comment about a pic from his North carolina 77 show. i said "worst one yet".I would rather see Elvis in his prime too, but even though he was overwieght and sick in EIC ,i still enjoy watching it, not because i like seeing him ill,it's because to me he still had a beautifull voice and still was "the King' to me. Most youngsters (post 1977) remember him that way. But as one man said on "Elvis,the last days",women still threw their keys,panties, ect, onstage because they saw the Elvis from 1956 or 1957, and he still was in his soul, and he will alway be the same in my eyes..

KPM
01-11-2008, 11:24 PM
]To me Elvis never really did lose it completely.[/B] Even though it hurt to see him in EIC, I still saw "Elvis" standing there with his fantastic voice. It was his struggling to get through the concert that hurt, but his voice and the emotion he put into his songs were still there....and that SMILE!

Diane
I said this once before, on his worst day he was probably better looking than 90% of we males-including me.;)
But compared to "his best days" it was quite a difference to see.

Miss Clawdy
01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
In spite of what some people think, people who like Elvis in '77 are not all
delusional and they don't even all wear rose-colored glasses. And even if the efforts of those people do not change people's thinking on Elvis, it is not right to criticize them for trying, or liking what they like. Fact is Elvis in '77 is who the man ultimately became and personally I can't understand how some fans can deny this period or look so down upon it. It is Elvis Presley.

(y)(y)(y)
I would never look down on this last period, it is Elvis Presley no matter how
bad things would have turned out for him and I always enjoy watching him,
but sometimes it is only sad to notice how he changed in such a short
time :'(.

Ok, Elvis didn't look as good in 77 as he did when he was younger, but he was far from being ugly in 77 IMO :)
Except some pics where you can clearly see he was sick or err..something (these kind of pics make me really sad), I think it is nice to see pics from the late 70s...he was still Elvis, there was something in the poses, the smile, etc...Actually he looks more "human" to me when he got older. It reminds me he was like everyone else, vulnerable...
The only problem I have with his image in the late 70s is that it is the first thing shown today. Before becoming a big fan like I am today, the image I had of Elvis was the one of a fat drug addict...and I didn't even know any of his songs at that time. I don't know where I get this image, I guess it is just the most obvious trace he left in mass culture.

(y)(y)(y)
You are right, we fans know pretty much about the 'real Elvis', but the
general public doesn't. It is like you said their image of Elvis is the one of
a fat drug addict who ate himself to death and they cling to this opinion
because they don't know better, how should they if they are shown nothing
else than 'Elvis last period' for years :doh:.
That is what I don't like about late 70th stuff.

Gary1
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I've seen photos of Elvis live in 1977 where he looks seriously sick and other photos from the same concert where he looks ok.Now there's no doubting he was ill.But i think camera angles have a lot to do with i as well.Maybe i'm wrong but it's just a thought.

cameron
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
(y)(y)(y)

(y)(y)(y)
You are right, we fans know pretty much about the 'real Elvis', but the
general public doesn't. It is like you said their image of Elvis is the one of
a fat drug addict who ate himself to death and they cling to this opinion
because they don't know better, how should they if they are shown nothing
else than 'Elvis last period' for years :doh:.
That is what I don't like about late 70th stuff.
But, that's why I also think his fans need to speak up and stop the misconception by letting it continue.

Diane
01-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm with Gary, camera angles and lighting can have a lot to do with how photos turn out. Also don't forget, they always make a person look heavier.

Diane

SeeSeeRider777
01-12-2008, 02:49 AM
For those of you that were alive in 77 and remember it, did you guys know that Elvis looked that bad? I asked my parents and they said that they had no idea he looked like that.

Getlo
01-12-2008, 02:50 AM
I am certainly not one of the "1977 was pure Elvis" brigade (well, duh!), but I think EPE and the fans simply need to be more honest about Elvis' last couple of years.

The general public know (and to put it in very simple terms) that Elvis put on weight, took drugs and died.

I think incorporating a few more latter-day images into things like books and DVDs would go a long way to give a more complete image of Elvis to the public and fans.

EPE shouldn't sugarcoat the last two years, but nor should they glorify them or shun them either. The tragedy of Elvis' downfall is as much a part of his life as his meteoric beginning, or his stunning 1968 comeback. Personally, I find the last five years or so more fascinating than any other time in Elvis' life; but that's just me.

I simply believe it's time for everyone to be honest about this strange period of the Presley saga.

And a lot of today's stars (Hello, Lindsay and Britney! xx) could learn some very valuable lessons from Elvis' life and his choices.

Elvis_Priestly
01-12-2008, 02:54 AM

I preface this by saying I am delighted by and love all of Elvis's career but, to answer your question from my perspective, here's something I wrote a few months back trying to explain why I also like and have a particular "affection" for 1977 (with a picture from his last concert which portrays what I'm trying to say):

There is something in the human condition which associates itself with and responds deeply to tragedy.
I am a fan of Elvis 1977 because of the tragedy of it. That maybe sounds sick or wrong but the whole of his life leads to that moment. Elvis was in Rock and Roll, a great talent swallowed by the materialism, envy and destructiveness of the purely material world. He was the first star of a new world and that primacy meant it would swallow up and spit him out as it has so many of its stars and their followers. We have never witnessed such talent before and not just talent but the looks, the charm, the charisma all so much of so much in one package. And then it died.
It captivates us still because whilst he was defeated by the material he never entirely surrendered, he never gave up the battle he lost. Like a weakened warrior we watch, or read, him surrounded by the enemy, weakened and obviously bleeding from all the wounds, he still tried to wield his engaging weapons. "My Way" was his purpose, "How Great Thou Art" his reason. Eyes closed - the fatal wounds are struck but still he fights on.

Diane
01-12-2008, 02:55 AM
In answer to Getlo's comments on Britney and other, yes they could for sure. Unfortunately Elvis didn't have anyone to look back on to learn a lesson from.

Diane

Getlo
01-12-2008, 02:56 AM
For those of you that were alive in 77 and remember it, did you guys know that Elvis looked that bad? I asked my parents and they said that they had no idea he looked like that.

Yeah, a little bit.

I was only 9 and 10, but I still have the newspaper and magazine clippings from here in Australia.

The "fat and forty" stuff started in late '74. The pics weren't too bad. In 1976, a few pics were published here and there.

The last clipping I have before his death is from April or May, 1977. It was just a picture in the celebrity photo section of Australia's TV Week magazine (which is still going after 50 years or so). It's a shocking photo (Sundial Suit), and the caption - in a classic example of understatement - says, "Left: Elvis Presley, fighting a weight problem, sings during his latest US concert tour".

So yeah, it was pretty-much known that Elvis was getting heavy.

cameron
01-12-2008, 03:11 AM
I see it your way, Conor .
For some reason I've always been partial to Elvis in the '70's.

epmoodyblue
01-12-2008, 04:04 AM
I can relate to that as well. I last saw him on Dec. 28, 76
, and you can look at the pics that someone posted(there is a pic from 1 night later) that it wasn't nearly as bad as it became. When I saw EIC I was stunned, and I remember thinking "OMG....no wonder he has died". :'(:'(i think your exagerating lots..the show you saw was awesome...dec 28 -76 concert was outstanding and elvis looked really good compared to early 76..guess we all got different opinions-- its a shame elvis couldint hold on to the weight and shape he was in dec 76 into 77.. neways to the topic his weight didint bother me at all i enjoyed all stages of elvis life --even with the few extra pounds on him elvis was the greatest at what he did------peace to you:king:

Broussey
01-12-2008, 04:14 AM
I just close my eyes when i see something from 1977 on video or t.v.. I think Elvis was a angel and big or small to me he was beautiful to me its just so hard to watch because you know what the end result was but his voice never changed if anything his range got higher i saw a you tube video of him singing how great thou art and MY GOD IT was so beautiful i never herd him sing it like that before check it out if i find it i will post something on it its from sometime in 1977

utmom2008
01-12-2008, 04:15 AM
I didn't, at least not to the extent that it was at the end. Check out the pics from June of 75 and December of 76...those were the last 2 times that I saw him in a concert(non-Vegas) setting. What is fascinating is to then look at pics from February(12) 1977 and see the stunning difference that 5 or 6 weeks made. I know the younger people have a hard time believing that we didn't have access to the star's every move like we do now...but, we didn't.

utmom2008
01-12-2008, 04:16 AM
And a lot of today's stars (Hello, Lindsay and Britney! xx) could learn some very valuable lessons from Elvis' life and his choices.

Amen to that! (y)(y)(y)

epmoodyblue
01-12-2008, 04:18 AM
I just close my eyes when i see something from 1977 on video or t.v.. I think Elvis was a angel and big or small to me he was beautiful to me its just so hard to watch because you know what the end result was but his voice never changed if anything his range got higher i saw a you tube video of him singing how great thou art and MY GOD IT was so beautiful i never herd him sing it like that before check it out if i find it i will post something on it its from sometime in 1977same feelings here tottaly agree with you(y)(y):king:

utmom2008
01-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Yeah, a little bit.

I was only 9 and 10, but I still have the newspaper and magazine clippings from here in Australia.

The "fat and forty" stuff started in late '74. The pics weren't too bad. In 1976, a few pics were published here and there.

The last clipping I have before his death is from April or May, 1977. It was just a picture in the celebrity photo section of Australia's TV Week magazine (which is still going after 50 years or so). It's a shocking photo (Sundial Suit), and the caption - in a classic example of understatement - says, "Left: Elvis Presley, fighting a weight problem, sings during his latest US concert tour".

So yeah, it was pretty-much known that Elvis was getting heavy.
Yes...it was known he was getting heavier, yet I remember we were all shocked after first seeing EIC. The press was always commenting on his weight.....just as in EOT the press said he was getting fat. Yes...he was much heavier than TTWII, but I'm sure the last year of his life he would have given anything to be back at that weight. The "fat and 40" talk was a constant...so you had to put it in perspective..

utmom2008
01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
i think your exagerating lots..the show you saw was awesome...dec 28 -76 concert was outstanding and elvis looked really good compared to early 76..guess we all got different opinions-- its a shame elvis couldint hold on to the weight and shape he was in dec 76 into 77.. neways to the topic his weight didint bother me at all i enjoyed all stages of elvis life --even with the few extra pounds on him elvis was the greatest at what he did------peace to you:king:
Um....epmoodyblue...I think you need to re-read my post before jumping to conclusions. read it again......slowly.;) I'm not sure what it is that you think I said....:hmm:

epmoodyblue
01-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Amen to that! (y)(y)(y) britney ..all she has to do is stop being a media fack and grow up and be a caring mother. ..she gets what she deserves simple as that:king:

Aindooner
01-12-2008, 04:36 AM
The first time I heard Elvis was around 1969 on a cassette tape while touring Europe with my parents. We were in Italy and Dad put the tape in the player. I had no idea what Elvis looked like, I just knew I had never heard anyone before with such an awesome voice. That was almost 40 years ago and I am still in awe by the recordings he left behind. I don't believe anyone will ever be able to surpass Elvis' god-given talent or wonderful voice. The fact that women found him attractive is just icing on the cake. I wouldn't care what he looked like when, I would still love to hear him sing.

epmoodyblue
01-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Um....epmoodyblue...I think you need to re-read my post before jumping to conclusions. read it again......slowly.;) I'm not sure what it is that you think I said....:hmm:hmm... i read it again...neways you are right..december 76 tour elvis looked like he was back on the right track again ..looked really good..then when the feb 77 tour began . i dont know what happened in such a short time from dec 76 to early feb 77..he looked tottaly different..bad what did he do in those short 5 to six weeks before the feb tour started ?:'(:'(:king:

Getlo
01-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Yes...it was known he was getting heavier, yet I remember we were all shocked after first seeing EIC.

Yes, EIC was certainly the first time the public got to see actual film of him in such a state. I remember when it aired here in Sydney: most people had no idea about how bad he looked.

But it's part of his legacy, and therefore should never be ignored.

utmom2008
01-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Yes, EIC was certainly the first time the public got to see actual film of him in such a state. I remember when it aired here in Sydney: most people had no idea about how bad he looked.

But it's part of his legacy, and therefore should never be ignored.
True....we had only seen still pics up to that point. I agree...it's a huge part of his legacy. To begin like he did...and then to end like he did, it's an interesting story. And..as you said earlier..the young celebs could sure learn a thing or two if they paid attention.

rickb
01-12-2008, 06:35 AM
There is definitely a big fascination about Elvis' decline. Just check the photo forum - there are almost more photos for the 70s and comments for that decade than the 50s/60s combined
rick

hgs262626
01-12-2008, 07:03 PM
i agree his physical health is upsetting in 1977 and i echo your sadness. however he was still putting out gr8 peformances e.g my way and how gr8 thou art! i think part of the fascination is the fact he is actually near the end and theae are his last peformances.

4THEHEART
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM
not his health of course but his voice only got better in time and with age..got richer,matured and all..it's impossible not to enjoy Elvis in 70's till the day he died.I don't see any negativity in posting his pics and clips from 77.He was a born beauty and his inside beauty made him look wondrful in any condition.I'd expect his fans look at him a little different than the magazine people and media.I love to see his extremely tired but wiser and lovin look in his eyes,in the pictures taken in 77..In my opinion, there's not a moment to hide or ignore in this very short but prescious life..

Diane
01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I loved Elvis from beginning to end. I also don't feel that any part of his life should be ignored, I just don't like it when some just see him at his worse and ignore all the good years he had.

Diane

SeeSeeRider777
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I loved Elvis from beginning to end. I also don't feel that any part of his life should be ignored, I just don't like it when some just see him at his worse and ignore all the good years he had.

Diane

Agreed. The media puts the bad years of Elvis as the main thing. Like mostly when it is his birthday or 8/16 they show pictures of him from 77 and talk about only his drug use. Never they talk about Aloha or the billion records he sold or the number one hits. The news usually is the one who does this.

cameron
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Agreed. The media puts the bad years of Elvis as the main thing. Like mostly when it is his birthday or 8/16 they show pictures of him from 77 and talk about only his drug use. Never they talk about Aloha or the billion records he sold or the number one hits. The news usually is the one who does this.

Some of the "media" are too young to remember Elvis too. I guess it's easier for them to copy what has been said from the past than to look for themselves. {kinda like the way some do the "real news". }

I remember when we laughed at Geralo and his tabloid reports.
Now we laugh at the news reporters about Washington and the war.
Stop paying attention and switch your channel..complain.
That really gets to them. :P

elvisia
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Hmm, I just read this thread, "Elvis looking great 74/77"

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=18082

and in it is a lot of great pics from 77, even from june 26, 77, just few days after EIC. After reading the thread, I learned a little bit more, about why his look changed so much, from time to time in just few days. Looking at the bad pics(mostely 76/77) and the footage from june 19 and 21, I feel so sorry for him that he had to be sick, but at the same time, when I look at the pics where he looks good, I feel happy for him, that he also had good times right till the end.

All in all, it`s not nice for anyone to be shown "worldvide" in pics where one is feeling and looking bad....just think about it....."You are laying in bed with the flu..feeling and looking real bad(everyone is looking bad in this situation) and someone takes a pic and tells everyone, that this is how you look"...hmmm, that would not be fair..(n) and it`s just not fair, judging Elvis for his looks beeing sick.
Most people are staying at home when sick and feeling real bad and don`t want to be seen by strangers, but Elvis was different....he went to work when he should have stayed at home in bed..he didn`t want to disappoint people...it must have been awfull for him at times beeing on stage...but he did it anyway.

Diane
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
(y)(y)(y) Elvisia

Diane