PDA

View Full Version : Who designed the interior of Graceland?

medleyofcostumes
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Just wondering - when Elvis purchased Graceland in the 1950's, who was responsible for the internal decoration ideas e.g having a jungle room?

Any ideas?

Tony Trout
01-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Just wondering - when Elvis purchased Graceland in the 1950's, who was responsible for the internal decoration ideas e.g having a jungle room?

Any ideas?

The "Jungle Room" didn't come into existence until the mid-1970s. Up until then, IIRC, it was just a "den-like" area.

Joe Car
01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Ray Charles!

Albert
01-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I believe the Jungle Room was all decorated by Elvis himself: he went to shops in Memphis and bought all the stuff in one day.

KPM
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I would think Elvis's Mom had some say when they first moved in. After her death I guess whatever Elvis decided he wanted he got someone to make it so.

john carpenter
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Good question, i've never thought of that. I guess Gladys had some part in decorating Graceland,and Vernon somewhat. But i wonder if they kept any old furnishing from Audubon Drive? The white furnishing that they have in Graceland now was purchased in the 50's.

Tony Trout
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I believe the Jungle Room was all decorated by Elvis himself: he went to shops in Memphis and bought all the stuff in one day.

You're correct. And Vernon, IIRC, was horrified when he saw what Elvis had purchased.

cprimm
01-11-2008, 01:39 AM
"As soon as Elvis bought Graceland, he began a series of renovations. His mother Gladys and interior decorator George Golden assisted him, but the King had final say in all work done on his castle. Perhaps in keeping with his desire for a farm, among the first additions was a chicken coop. He had a pink Alabama fieldstone wall built to surround his property and bought and installed custom-built decorative gates for $3,052. As the meeting place of his fans, the Music Gates and the Wall of Love have become two of the more famous features of Graceland. He lit the house with blue and gold spotlights and the driveway was strung with blue lights like an airport runway."

Read the rest at: http://www.elvisandyou.com/first_level/chapter1.html

medleyofcostumes
01-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies

Getlo
01-11-2008, 05:20 AM

Elvis purchased the furnishings for the den some time in July, 1974 from one shop - Donald Furniture Company.

As for Vernon, he reacted badly to the stuff whe he saw it in the store with Elvis, much to the amusement of the younger Presley ... and that's why Elvis purchased the Polynesian furnishings.

What a guy ...