PDA

View Full Version : A Jumpsuit questions

Awickedreigndrop
12-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Last year my friend and I took my mom to Graceland with us. We took her to the exhibit "Elvis After Dark" and she were examining Elvis' jumpsuits(The ones in the attachments) and said, "Gosh, he was sure small". I watched him perform in that very same jumpsuit in TTWII and it didn't look that small on him. Was I right when I told my mom that the jumpsuit probably stretched? Or was he really that small in the waist?

hounddog
12-31-2007, 07:27 AM
i've read he had a 31 inch waist when he filmed TTWII. He looks very lean to me in the film. I don't know about the jumpsuit streching

SeeSeeRider777
12-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I know this pic is a few years after TTWII but look at his waist here, very small.

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/2/3/9/6/alielvis.jpg

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-31-2007, 07:46 AM
There is no doubt that in 1970 Elvis had a very thin waist, one of the comments made by Bill Belew was that Elvis had a thin waist and a broad chest.

I have heard a comment recently that Elvis was thinner in the Aloha show than he was in the Army!!!

JDD
12-31-2007, 07:51 AM
I have heard a comment recently that Elvis was thinner in the Aloha show than he was in the Army!!!

I think so as well but he supposedly really worked for that show and the 68 special.

Tony Trout
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
There is no doubt that in 1970 Elvis had a very thin waist, one of the comments made by Bill Belew was that Elvis had a thin waist and a broad chest.

I think so as well but he supposedly really worked for that show and the 68 special.

According to Sonny West, Elvis was near 175 lbs. or a little less than that for the Aloha Show....

ph10579
12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know what Elvis' waist size or weight was after the aloha show? Thanks.

cameron
12-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Last year my friend and I took my mom to Graceland with us. We took her to the exhibit "Elvis After Dark" and she were examining Elvis' jumpsuits(The ones in the attachments) and said, "Gosh, he was sure small". I watched him perform in that very same jumpsuit in TTWII and it didn't look that small on him. Was I right when I told my mom that the jumpsuit probably stretched? Or was he really that small in the waist?
I always wondered about those tiny looking jumpsuits too.
It looks like he had no rear end ;).
Maybe JJ or Leroy can tell you what material some of them were made of.

Tony Trout
12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Most (if not all) suits were made out of Italian wool gabardine. This kind of material allowed Elvis the freedom to move around.

Getlo
01-01-2008, 02:30 AM

No way, sorry ...

jb_1359
01-01-2008, 03:37 AM
does anyone know Elvis' waist size in 1971?? and from the Aloha show??

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 04:39 AM
does anyone know Elvis' waist size in 1971?? and from the Aloha show??
In the TTWII deluxe addition they mention that in 1970 he had a 32 inch waist.....

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Most (if not all) suits were made out of Italian wool gabardine. This kind of material allowed Elvis the freedom to move around.
It's also the same material that the Olympic iceskaters use, so there is some freedom for movement....

Awickedreigndrop
01-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for the info everyone!!! I have a standee of Elvis from G.I. Blues and and his waist is thin but not as thin as those jumpsuits were. I don't know what it is about my family and Elvis' waist size but my brother was also gawking about his waist size on the standee.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
No way, sorry ...

http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictures/Elvis%20Army%20Years/slides/elvis%20army%20137.jpg

It's a close run thing ;)

Getlo
01-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Not even close dude, sorry ...

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Not even close dude, sorry ...

Can you explain you reasoning because from the Images I have seen it does look close :blink:

Diane
01-01-2008, 02:39 PM
To me Elvis' tummy and waist look more tight and in shape in the '70's than in the army and previously. Maybe it's the cut of the jumpsuits but he does look fitter.

Diane

stefankoch
01-01-2008, 02:42 PM
It`s my believe that he was thinner at the aloha show then he was in the army.
Getlo.... look at his waist... not his hair and face.

Getlo
01-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Why would I look at his hair and face if we're discussing Elvis' waistline? ;)

Okay, so the weight difference isn't exactly huge, but there is no way that the early-1973 Elvis had the same waist as when he went into the army. He was thinner in 1958, IMO.

TCBnAflash
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I've wondered about the suits being altered myself. When I went to Graceland in 1998, they had the Sundial suit on display and they had taken the waist part of suit and pinned it on the back to make him look thinner.
I asked the guard,"why did they do that to his suit, when most people who know about Elvis know, he wasn't that thin at the time he wore it?", he said, "I don't know why they decided to do that but, during 77 he wasn't has fat as people say he was, he was a 38" waist in pants, that would make his jumpsuit about a 44". Then took me over to look at the pants he wore for the movie, Charro, and he told me the waist size for those pants were, 28". Looking at the 68 TV Special, I could see that being true. He really starved himself to perfection then.

presley31
01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictures/Elvis%20Army%20Years/slides/elvis%20army%20137.jpg

agree JJ it looks pretty close to me

SweetCaroline
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Can you explain you reasoning because from the Images I have seen it does look close :blink:

In 70 and 71...the first years I saw Elvis in Vegas (with seats next to the stage)...he was as thin waisted as any male model. He seemed more in shape than he looked to me in army "pictures" or at the very least as in shape. All I can tell you you is that he was physically AWESOME in those two years of 70 and 71. I saw him in Ohio in 72 ,but not Vegas. I didn't have a good seat in Dayton so he was to far away from me to judge his waistline. I did not see him in Vegas again until 73 and he had started having a little more waist by then, but was still very handsome.

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
In 70 and 71...the first years I saw Elvis in Vegas (with seats next to the stage)...he was as thin waisted as any male model. He seemed more in shape than he looked to me in army "pictures" or at the very least as in shape. All I can tell you you is that he was physically AWESOME in those two years of 70 and 71. I saw him in Ohio in 72 ,but not Vegas. I didn't have a good seat in Dayton so he was to far away from me to judge his waistline. I did not see him in Vegas again until 73 and he had started having a little more waist by then, but was still very handsome.
I agree Carole! As you know I had center stage seats in August of 71,72 and 73. He still had the the small waist in 71, and in 72 he still looked thin. That's the summer that I saw him in the 2 piece white suits with the silk shirt. On opening night in 73 he had on the AFH jumpsuit....he seemed like he was more "filled out", not lean but just bigger. He still looked great!!! (y)(y)

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
It`s my believe that he was thinner at the aloha show then he was in the army.
I think one difference may be simply that a 38 year old man is more "filled out" than a 23 year old man. I don't mean fatter.....men just seem to fill out as they get older.

Raised on Rock
01-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Thatīs true, no matter how many diet and exercice you are into, after 38-40, you canīt have the waist you had at 25 without been unhealthy.

About the Elvis was thiner during the Aloha than in the army, there is one thing to bring out here, one thing is ELvis waist in '58 when he joined the army and another '60 Elvis when he was discharged. 50's Elvis had still alot of baby fat, so 68'-'71 could have been smaller than '58 Elvis, and Aloha Elvis could have been also close to his weight in '58, buy hardly Elvis was as slim during the Aloha shows as he was during the Sinatra Welcome Home Elvis in '60.

About the Jumpsuits streching, this might be so, as I once saw the "I Got Lucky" suit at the Elvis Presley Museum in Orlando Florida back in '89, and the letīs call it "Stone or Jewelery stuff" you see on his ribs in diferent photographs, well, when you looked at the suit on display, those looked like nipples, which was totally weird lol, so I guess when Elvis put it on, streched and the nipples-look-a-like moved all the way to the under the arm area, so...

Hereīs a pic so you know what Iīm talking about, well, kind of.

P.S. Does anybody know it that small Presely Museum in Florida still exists and if so, what is the
story? Plus I have no Idea if what I saw over there was actually the real thing or a copy of the suit as I was very small back then to have any idea about that. Anybody else has seen that suit these days?

marijaep
01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
To me Elvis' tummy and waist look more tight and in shape in the '70's than in the army and previously. Maybe it's the cut of the jumpsuits but he does look fitter.

Diane

Yes, I think too, that the jumpsuits cut made him look thinner.
But his waist looked the best :blush: in TTWII, that's a fact :D

TCBnAflash
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I also read some where that Elvis wore a corset later on but I could swear that sometimes I see that line of where the corset would start in the Aloha aired show.

If anyone knows any facts concerning this please post.

Diane
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I doubt that as it would have been very hard to conceal a corset under his jumpsuits especially when he wore the front of them almost down to his naval.
Wooohoooo!:)

Diane

marijaep
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I doubt that as it would have been very hard to conceal a corset under his jumpsuits especially when he wore the front of them almost down to his naval.

Diane

:lol: hope so lol

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I also read some where that Elvis wore a corset later on but I could swear that sometimes I see that line of where the corset would start in the Aloha aired show.

Diane

Elvis didn't wear a corset under his jumpsuit for the Aloha show..no way...no how.

TCBnAflash
01-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys but Elvis did wear a corset sometimes. It's an old Hollywood trick to appear slimmer and hide the bludges. Lamar had mentioned Elvis wearing a corset quite a few times and I believe Hopkins did too in, "The Final Years" book.

Awickedreigndrop
01-02-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys but Elvis did wear a corset sometimes. It's an old Hollywood trick to appear slimmer and hide the bludges. Lamar had mentioned Elvis wearing a corset quite a few times and I believe Hopkins did too in, "The Final Years" book.

Wow, I never even heard about this before.

Getlo
01-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys but Elvis did wear a corset sometimes.

He may very well have worn a corset sometimes in the later years.

But never on stage.

Tony Trout
01-02-2008, 02:59 AM

He may very well have worn a corset sometimes in the later years.

But never on stage.

I agree with Getlo...the corset would have shown up underneath the jumpsuit...to suggest he wore a corset on stage is ridiculous....

presley31
01-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Looking for elvis wearing a corset and this is the only peice of information l could find

They didn't call it a corset, they called it a brace. It was a surgical looking garment that gathers the flesh in front and secures it from behind with a web of laces."
Following the June 21, 1977 show in Rapid City, he performed in on June 22

Source http://notefa.com/id/17680/

Tony Trout
01-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Looking for elvis wearing a corset and this is the only peice of information l could find

They didn't call it a corset, they called it a brace. It was a surgical looking garment that gathers the flesh in front and secures it from behind with a web of laces."

I noticed that the leech Goldman is the source for the "corset" remark....I dunno if I'd put a lot of stock into that quote...I just don't believe Elvis ever wore a corset at all.....

presley31
01-02-2008, 03:30 AM
I noticed that the leech Goldman is the source for the "corset" remark....I dunno if I'd put a lot of stock into that quote...I just don't believe Elvis ever wore a corset at all.....

l agree Tony, doesn't seem true if the only peice of information is from Goldman.

utmom2008
01-02-2008, 03:32 AM
I agree Tony. If he didn't wear one on stage, then I can't imagine wearing one any other time. Back in the day when women wore "girdles"...they didn't wear them to just relax around the house. :lol:

SeeSeeRider777
01-02-2008, 03:35 AM
If Elvis wore a corset during the later years wouldnt have that hurt a lot? Because he had that stomach bloating if he had that on that would have killed him.

utmom2008
01-02-2008, 03:37 AM
If Elvis wore a corset during the later years wouldnt have that hurt a lot? Because he had that stomach bloating if he had that on that would have killed him.
IMO.........it would have been VERY uncomfortable. :D:D:D

SeeSeeRider777
01-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Thats why I dont believe that he wore one. His jumpsuits were always open at the front and you would have seen it.

Getlo
01-02-2008, 03:45 AM

It wouldn't have killed him. No one's ever died from wearing a corset or brace.

It would have held the stomach back in order to give a slimmer appearance.

Had he ever worn one of course ...

Awickedreigndrop
01-02-2008, 03:49 AM
IMO.........it would have been VERY uncomfortable. :D:D:D

I don't think he would be able to sing very well either:hmm:

SeeSeeRider777
01-02-2008, 03:56 AM
I didnt mean killed in that way I meant that it would have gave him a lot of pain. Dont take everything so literal.

utmom2008
01-02-2008, 03:59 AM
It wouldn't have killed him. No one's ever died from wearing a corset or brace.

True.....but I'm betting that plenty of women thought they would...:D:lol:

Getlo
01-02-2008, 04:01 AM
I didnt mean killed in that way I meant that it would have gave him a lot of pain. Dont take everything so literal.

Your quote was: "Because he had that stomach bloating if he had that on that would have killed him."

How else is one supposed to take this comment other than literally? ;)

cameron
01-02-2008, 04:02 AM

I don't know. But, I have read that in a few other places too.
Just don't remember where now. :hmm:

SeeSeeRider777
01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
C'mon Getlo who would really think that having a corset on would kill them? Give a lot of pain yes, kill no.

presley31
01-02-2008, 04:10 AM
I don't know. But, I have read that in a few other places too.
Just don't remember where now. :hmm:

l tryed looking but came up with nothing:hmm:

cameron
01-02-2008, 04:17 AM
l tryed looking but came up with nothing:hmm:

Seems like it was in some book or article....it was just not too signicant
for me to file it away with all the other stuff. ;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-02-2008, 06:34 AM
I just don't believe that Elvis wore a girdle, you only have to look at concert photo's to see that. Elvis' weight was like a roller coaster, wearing a girdle wouldn't have a achieved anything other than to restrict his movement and impacted on his singing ability....

Kris P
01-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Piffle....

Joe Car
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
What hurt him was the bloating from not only the meds, but from a colon problem. This started as early as 1974, at his Vegas shows where though his face looks thin and awesome, his stomach is clearly bloated, very noticeable when wearing the rainfall two-piece leather suit. In 1977, especially in February, compare the Feb 12th Hollywood, Florida show, to that of the shows a week to 10 days later, especially the Charlotte shows on the 20th and 21st where he looks awesome, unbelievable difference in his appearance!

Diane
01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree Joe, his stomach is prominent while wearing the leather Rainfall suit and also in the Wine Glass suit. Something should have been done for him by that time to correct the colon problem.

Diane

Joe Car
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree Joe, his stomach is prominent while wearing the leather Rainfall suit and also in the Wine Glass suit. Something should have been done for him by that time to correct the colon problem.

Diane

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he had the colon problem fixed, at least that's what he told Red West in there infamous conversation after the firing. I've taken pain meds, they definitely make you constipated, so that's probably the source of the bloating later on. Also, he did lose weight as tours progressed, thus in 76/77, he always was slimmer by the end of the tour, as opposed to the beginning.

cibetty
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
i've read he had a 31 inch waist when he filmed TTWII. He looks very lean to me in the film. I don't know about the jumpsuit streching

I remember the producer said 32 inch (82 cm) in the werkfilm (on the TTWII DVD). He was very lean for sure!

Tony Trout
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he had the colon problem fixed, at least that's what he told Red West in there infamous conversation after the firing. I've taken pain meds, they definitely make you constipated, so that's probably the source of the bloating later on. Also, he did lose weight as tours progressed, thus in 76/77, he always was slimmer by the end of the tour, as opposed to the beginning.

The source for the bloating was most likely Cortisone. And...if Elvis had had the colon problem 'fixed' by 1976, I don't believe that he would've had to leave the stage in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977.

Elvis was just trying to convince Red that he was healthy and to hopefully stop Red and Sonny & Dave from publishing the book - which, in the end, didn't 'pan out'.

utmom2008
03-09-2009, 10:40 PM
And...if Elvis had had the colon problem 'fixed' by 1976, I don't believe that he would've had to leave the stage in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977.

Tony - what's the "story" on why he left the stage that night?:hmm:

moody-blues67
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Is there any pictures from that concert in Baltimore ?
Iīve read somewhere that he only did 7 or 11 songs on that show.

barron
07-14-2010, 04:42 AM
yes elvis was that small all of the jumpsuits that elvis wore were maid from wool gabardine elvis told bill belew elvis's desighner that he wanted fabric that stretched because with the moves he was doing .