PDA

View Full Version : This set of pic's and story shows how Elvis still had it in 1977!!!!!

nolvis
12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I got this story and the pic's from the FECC site, and the pic's were posted by-paulsweeney (the bulk of pics including a couple from kenny's collection), and Greybeard, and the video by christian.I've also included some of the more interesting comment's!-

Is that the best way to get to the stage that they could come up with?

According to Keith Alverson it's the Hilton Hotel in Macon as Elvis was leaving to go to the Coliseum

That situation is UNBELIEVABLE !!

didn't spill a drop

Well, it was up to Elvis' 'roadie' to suss out a better route !

Step forward: Diamond Joyce Peseta !

Don't want to fuel or start another "Elvis the Disaster" thread but I got talking to Sam Thompson about the situation and he said they were looking around for an easier way down to the cars and before they could say anything Elvis was crouched down and heading off the loading bay without, as you say, spilling a drop or marking the suit. He said it's one of his favourite pictures because it showed the spirit and strength Elvis still had and that a funnier picture would have been the body guards trying to get down in such a spritely fashion right after Elvis.

I also got this pic from just before which Sam said showed him and Elvis noticing the loading bay at the same minute with Sam thinking "oh heck, what we gonna do?" and Elvis's expression saying "ha! lets jump this sucker!"

I also got this pic from just before which Sam said showed him and Elvis noticing the loading bay at the same minute with Sam thinking "oh heck, what we gonna do?" and Elvis's expression saying "ha! lets jump this sucker!"

presley31
12-21-2007, 05:49 PM
elvis looks so unhappy in those pictures, you can tell he's not himself.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't understand the title of this thread i.e. "
This set of pic's and story shows how Elvis still had it in 1977!!!!!"

In what way do they show Elvis still had it?

Getlo
12-21-2007, 06:42 PM

I was kind of wondering that myself ...

Tony Trout
12-21-2007, 06:44 PM

I was kind of wondering that myself ...

Same here....

cameron
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Quote:talking to Sam Thompson about the situation and he said they were looking around for an easier way down to the cars and before they could say anything Elvis was crouched down and heading off the loading bay without, as you say, spilling a drop or marking the suit. He said it's one of his favourite pictures because it showed the spirit and strength Elvis still had and that a funnier picture would have been the body guards trying to get down in such a spritely fashion right after Elvis. unQuote

It's ok, Nolvis . I read it and see what was meant. ;)

Getlo
12-21-2007, 07:06 PM
So ...

Elvis had the ability to negotiate his way down a not-especially high loading dock with a glass of water in his hand.

That's "it", is it? ;)

thedoc
12-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately,and obviously, there's no way you could see any better and deeper than you do now.You better think about judging things in it's own situation,it takes more than one angle to look at them sometimes.

epmoodyblue
12-21-2007, 07:50 PM
elvis looks good in those pics but reason elvis kinda had a sad expression on his face is because ginger was beside him:lmfao::lmfao::newyear::xmas:

utmom2008
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I got this story and the pic's from the FECC site, and the pic's were posted by-paulsweeney (the bulk of pics including a couple from kenny's collection), and Greybeard, and the video by christian.I've also included some of the more interesting comment's!-

Is that the best way to get to the stage that they could come up with?

According to Keith Alverson it's the Hilton Hotel in Macon as Elvis was leaving to go to the Coliseum

didn't spill a drop

Don't want to fuel or start another "Elvis the Disaster" thread but I got talking to Sam Thompson about the situation and he said they were looking around for an easier way down to the cars and before they could say anything Elvis was crouched down and heading off the loading bay without, as you say, spilling a drop or marking the suit. He said it's one of his favourite pictures because it showed the spirit and strength Elvis still had and that a funnier picture would have been the body guards trying to get down in such a spritely fashion right after Elvis.

I'm trying to figure out how he did it without getting the back of that jumpsuit filthy..:lol:

utmom2008
12-21-2007, 08:02 PM

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM

didn't spill a drop

before they could say anything Elvis was crouched down and heading off the loading bay without, as you say, spilling a drop or marking the suit. He said it's one of his favourite pictures because it showed the spirit and strength Elvis still had and that a funnier picture would have been the body guards trying to get down in such a spritely fashion right after Elvis.

I think from these comments that people were expecting to see Elvis jumping off of a 10 ft. loading dock....not a 2 ft. dock. It's kind of amusing that a group of young men were wondering how in the world they were going to manage to do that...:lol::lol: And this bunch was there to protect Elvis??

Diane
12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
That was just Elvis' personality, he was always daring physically. I don't think getting hurt was ever a worry to him and wasn't it said that in his Karate classes that he had a large tolerance for pain? I'll bet he was hell for his bodyguards to keep up with at times.:lol:

Diane

utmom2008
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
That was just Elvis' personality, he was always daring physically. I don't think getting hurt was ever a worry to him and wasn't it said that in his Karate classes that he had a large tolerance for pain? I'll bet he was hell for his bodyguards to keep up with at times.:lol:

Diane
I agree that there may have been times when he was physically daring.....I just don't believe this was one of them. ;);):D

Elvistcbkirch
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
No offence, but the picture says it all. An obvious overweight Elvis making his way down the gutter among the thrash beside a garbage container. On stage he was amazing untill his death, but mentally and physically he was falling apart. Merry Christmas, Martin

Johnny
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
he said they were looking around for an easier way down to the cars and before they could say anything Elvis was crouched down and heading off the loading bay without, as you say, spilling a drop or marking the suit. He said it's one of his favourite pictures because it showed the spirit and strength Elvis still had and that a funnier picture would have been the body guards trying to get down in such a spritely fashion right after Elvis."

Man, what a respect for Elvis they must have had - if I'm reading between the lines correctly; "Man, we must find stairs as Elvis can't possibly get down these 60, 90 (or whatever) cm ...well, I'll never ...he made it and without spilling his drink. Bet he'll not be so lucky next time"

Diane
12-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Martin, you certainly have a way with words....the situation couldn't be made to sound worse if you tried.(n)

Diane

Getlo
12-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I think people, especially Martin, are reading way too much into the picture.

It was probably a case of the quickest way to the car being down the loading dock, and it was probably Elvis' idea.

It's just a pic of him sliding off a loading dock, nothing more than that.

nolvis
12-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Sam Thompson himself, said that he was amazed at just how easily Elvis jumped off the loading area and maintained his drink without spilling a drop, because if it was him or Dick Grob or good ole' Joe, well they would have spilled their drink on themselves for sure! And he was impressed by Elvis' lithe and easy manner to negotiate this manaouvre!!! On the other board at FECC, people (guys) that are 42 and around that age, say that they couldn't do this "simple" jump and hold without for sure spilling on themselves also, and were very impressed by this "seemingly" simple task, unlike some of the people on this board who think it is nothing and just a joke.:xmas::newyear::king:(y)

thedoc
12-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Tcbkirch,you may find to humiliate Elvis,as the best way to feel better or bigger(as some other Elvis "fans" do as well,no idea about the reason!!) but that behaviour could only put you in a worse and impossible situation.Obviously he,in spite of being dead,has a much more respectable place in people's hearts and in this world,comparing millions of other living person,let alone when he was alive.

Getlo
12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
unlike some of the people on this board who think it is nothing and just a joke.:xmas::newyear::king:(y)

Because it is nothing ... and now the thread is a joke!

How high is it on the loading dock? A few feet? And how much water is in the glass? Anywhere near full? And it's hardly a jump, either, as his hand maintains contact.

Yeah, obviously Elvis is doing something absolutely superhuman here ... no one could have managed this! What a shame he never made it to the Olympics.

What a load (appalling pun intended ... ;))

Honestly, you might as well start a thread about how stylishly Elvis opened doors, put his sunglasses on or any other meaningless task.

thedoc
12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
that hurts,doesn't it? lol,sorry,some of you have to deal with it,Elvis was really Elvis.Go on diggin' dirt,no one said being an Elvis fan is easy.:lol:

Elvis_Priestly
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Shocking. Deplorable and dispicable. What Elvis fans have to put up with from other fans is attrocious. I've been a fan for 20 years and only dicovered the forums earlier this year. I have found some great people, who are the reason I keep coming. Besides them the worst things said about Elvis I have ever heard in my life have been said by his fans since I arrived on these forums.

There seems to be a brigade of know it alls who desire nothing more than to give themselves some credibility and fit in with the received wisdom of Elvis in the general culture by getting low and dirty about him and his last years in particular. There's no call for it and most, if not all of us, weren't actually there.

The variously quoted conversation with Sam Thompson from this thread was originally posted by me at FECC. They were Sam's words with me, he was there and he did feel it showed Elvis still "had it" and it does. Its not a claim he was a super hero. Its not a claim he was anything other than a showman a few months before his death getting down a big step with a glass of water, without marking his suit or spilling a drop. Challenge any 42 year old (or even younger!) to lever themselves down using one hand and not get their white clothes stained with garbage water. It ain't easy.

But of course that has to be countered because as so many of the know-it-all fans tell us by that stage he was a fat, strung out, train wreck of a guy who couldn't stand on stage without holding onto a mic stand and couldn't walk off stage without requiring mouth to mouth and a few shots from Larry Geller, Dr Nick, etc. etc.

I hope someday to read what these people actually liked about Elvis? Some of us do and we get shot down and told we're wearing rose coloured glasses, well better those than the manure goggles they delight to wear but which unfortunately corrupt the air with their perfume.

Getlo
12-22-2007, 12:00 AM
That wasn't very priest-like ... ;)

presley31
12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Shocking. Deplorable and dispicable. What Elvis fans have to put up with from other fans is attrocious. I've been a fan for 20 years and only dicovered the forums earlier this year. I have found some great people, who are the reason I keep coming. Besides them the worst things said about Elvis I have ever heard in my life have been said by his fans since I arrived on these forums.

There seems to be a brigade of know it alls who desire nothing more than to give themselves some credibility and fit in with the received wisdom of Elvis in the general culture by getting low and dirty about him and his last years in particular. There's no call for it and most, if not all of us, weren't actually there.

The variously quoted conversation with Sam Thompson from this thread was originally posted by me at FECC. They were Sam's words with me, he was there and he did feel it showed Elvis still "had it" and it does. Its not a claim he was a super hero. Its not a claim he was anything other than a showman a few months before his death getting down a big step with a glass of water, without marking his suit or spilling a drop. Challenge any 42 year old (or even younger!) to lever themselves down using one hand and not get their white clothes stained with garbage water. It ain't easy.

But of course that has to be countered because as so many of the know-it-all fans tell us by that stage he was a fat, strung out, train wreck of a guy who couldn't stand on stage without holding onto a mic stand and couldn't walk off stage without requiring mouth to mouth and a few shots from Larry Geller, Dr Nick, etc. etc.

I hope someday to read what these people actually liked about Elvis? Some of us do and we get shot down and told we're wearing rose coloured glasses, well better those than the manure goggles they delight to wear but which unfortunately corrupt the air with their perfume.

good post conor(y)(y)

thedoc
12-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, said Priestly.Well actually I was warned by my friend ,who gave up with discussions here,now,I see she was right,this is really a strange case of human psychology which is triggered by Elvis's uniqueness,yes he was.Hopefully, all of us will see one day which activities we will be able to do prior to our deaths,as close as he was in these pictures.

Kris P
12-22-2007, 12:45 AM
The variously quoted conversation with Sam Thompson from this thread was originally posted by me at FECC. They were Sam's words with me, he was there and he did feel it showed Elvis still "had it" and it does. Its not a claim he was a super hero. Its not a claim he was anything other than a showman a few months before his death getting down a big step with a glass of water, without marking his suit or spilling a drop.

Thanks for the perspective, Father.
A great post......such a shame many fans feel the need to constantly highlight Presley's human frailties.......sure wish those that do would maybe take some time out of their self absorbed lives and realize we are all the sum of our hopes and fears, which is what we get with Elvis Presley.

SeeSeeRider777
12-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I never felt different about Elvis just because he gained weight. Elvis was Elvis. He still had that great voice, personality, and that caring heart of his. He only changed on the outside, not the inside. What me and other people are saying is that Elvis' performances in 76/77 were not up to the same quality as in 68-74.

cameron
12-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I agree too Elvis Priestly. I've left sites because there is no discussion. Only put downs of Elvis. I'm smart enough to know Elvis was no saint; but to continually make fun of someone you profess to care about .....I'm at a loss for words. I'm amazed and ashamed to see some things that are allowed to be said on an Elvis site.
The time seems to be coming when people that really care must start their own places. Thank you ,Priestly.

Getlo
12-22-2007, 01:06 AM
I never felt different about Elvis just because he gained weight. What me and other people are saying is that Elvis' performances in 76/77 were not up to the same quality as in 68-74.

Thank you! Well said. (y)

It's a shame many simply don't get that ...

Johnny
12-22-2007, 01:08 AM
He still had that great voice, personality, and that caring heart of his. He only changed on the outside, not the inside. What me and other people are saying is that Elvis' performances in 76/77 were not up to the same quality as in 68-74.

I also feel the same way - but that doesn't take away the magic and thrill for me to listen to his performances in 76/77

Getlo
12-22-2007, 01:10 AM
The time seems to be coming when people that really care must start their own places.

More elitism.

I resent your implication that those of us who can discuss the final years rationally and calmly, or those of us who choose to acknowledge that he often gave sub-par performances, don't really care about Elvis.

We just care in a different way than you and your ilk.

A low blow from you. (n)

So feel free to start your own forum ...

SeeSeeRider777
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
How can anyone say that Elvis in 77 was "pure Elvis"? When we think of Elvis we think of that man who walked out on to Aloha and was in tip top form or that man in TTWII who was belting out new songs with feeling, or that guy who stepped out from that horrid 8 years of making terrible movies and showed he still had it in the 68 special. In 68 that was showing he still had it, in 77 he was not showing anything.

cameron
12-22-2007, 01:23 AM
I already have started my own board . Several, in fact. We can talk about his prescription meds, his illness , and everything else ....but we do it with love and compassion. I'm sorry some don't posess that quality, by their own admission.

Diane
12-22-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm with Conor 100%. There is one thing about acknowledging Elvis' frailties and another to continuously delight in bringing them up and never wanting to acknowledge that Hey, he might just have had something still going for him all the way to the end.

Diane

thedoc
12-22-2007, 02:11 AM
His voice was only richer,more mature,to make it shorter,at best in the end,if you can filter his illness,the moments he was short of breath or extremely tired(he sang at such days and nights,any other human being could only be in bed),cause these things ,effects ones voice only for moments,you can't judge a singer's voice quality in her/his moments of ill condition.But beyond all of this,every passing day,proves he was such a nobel man and had a never ending capacity of love and respect for others.That means he was beautiful and pure Elvis in every second of his 42 years of life.

Johnny
12-22-2007, 02:20 AM
That means he was beautiful and pure Elvis in every second of his 42 years of life.

I'm no Elvis basher - but I heartely disagree

Kris P
12-22-2007, 02:25 AM
..... in 77 he was not showing anything.
Did you not read the firsthand accounts of the folks on this MB who attended 77 shows or the positive reviews from the time?
And you are still able to dismiss an entire year of EP's career?
There are those who feel it's their job to critique his every move, and every note he sings. What have you accomplished?
What you have done to make someone smile, or bring a tear to their eyes, or a memory to their heart?

rickb
12-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Nicely put Elvis Priestly

SeeSeeRider777
12-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Did you not read the firsthand accounts of the folks on this MB who attended 77 shows or the positive reviews from the time?
And you are still able to dismiss an entire year of EP's career?
There are those who feel it's their job to critique his every move, and every note he sings. What have you accomplished?
What you have done to make someone smile, or bring a tear to their eyes, or a memory to their heart?

Was I critiquing his every **** move? NO! I dont feel I have accomplished anything by critiquing Elvis' final year. And what have I done to make someone smile or bring a tear to their eye? How bout bringing in an entire family who lost their home in a fire and letting them stay in my house free of charge. Its ok if you disagree with me but I wont allow any bashing.

Cryogenic
12-22-2007, 02:57 AM
A great post......such a shame many fans feel the need to constantly highlight Presley's human frailties.......sure wish those that do would maybe take some time out of their self absorbed lives and realize we are all the sum of our hopes and fears, which is what we get with Elvis Presley.

I thought Elvis_Priestly was the philosopher around these parts, but he has a brother in arms! Good work, chaps.

I think what's going on here, if I can boil it down to its simplest and least confrontational, is that there are some people who cannot appreciate beauty, value, meaning and import in small gestures and actions. In some ways, I don't blame people for their stance, least of all when comments like these are rendered:

Yeah, obviously Elvis is doing something absolutely superhuman here ... no one could have managed this! What a shame he never made it to the Olympics.

LMAO! You're right, Getlo. In one way, it's totally ridiculous. It's just Elvis climbing down a small wall. Go Elvis! Likewise, these are just pictures; just some tiny blocks of data on a computer screen. Go photographer! And when Elvis sang? That was just him standing or sitting there with his mouth open and making some noise. Go noise maker! No big deal; pay no attention to the man behind the curtain and all that. On the other hand, these photographs are a snapshot of a bunch of people in time -- and not just any people; the handlers, retainers, protectors, associates, friends and lovers of a man, and the man himself, who was and is the most iconic performer and vocalist of all time.

The photographs mean as little or as much as we want them to. Why do you have a picture of Elvis with a dog on stage? Why have you taken that dog's name as your own? Why have I got my picture and name? What are any of us doing here? An outsider looking in might say: "A bunch of losers fawning over some dead guy." Or: "Just a bunch of images and text generated by a computer server". In fact, a friend of mine said something similar the other day. I came out of a newsagents with him and he noticed an "Elvis" magazine in the window, which prompted him to ask why I "idolised" a guy who hasn't done anything new for 30 years. Well, when something comes at you point-blank like that, especially from a friend, it's absurd in many ways; I responded that Elvis intersected time and culture in a unique way, that he himself was unique, and that there's always more to discover, learn and appreciate (take that with a grain of salt: my answer was a little more flustered at the time). While one person ascribes tremendous relevance and draws tremendous joy from something, someone else invariably gives not a hoot.

Yet this is, indeed .... a forum for -- first and foremost -- appreciating one man. The goofy guy climing down the wall, in fact. I think people can afford, and should afford, to be a little open-minded when new threads go up and positive responses appear, no matter how apparently trivial the topic. That's the nature of fandom. If the thought of seeing people appraising an image or series of images rubs a person or group of persons up that badly, then maybe such persons should seriously consider what they're doing here. To the typical Presley enthusiast, these images might be run of the mill (even though the sheer physical act of Elvis negotiating a precipice, especially in his stage attire, is unusual). But they also might be edifying, off-the-cuff proof that Elvis was not merely not an invalid in 1977, but that he was spatially aware and well co-ordinated, and didn't need his dozen bodyguards to watch his every step and aid his every move. Look at the arrangement: it appears that Elvis was the first person off that wall. One senses a bit of that vintage Presley tenacity at work here, and one can also see a certain grace and style that came with being "Elvis", which is ironically contrasted with the drab surroundings, which also came (from time to time) with being "Elvis"; thus, the image(s) function(s) on multiple levels, serving as an unembellished visual commentary on the nature of his life. Photography is still a relatively new thing; perhaps some aren't used to its scientific and artistic dualism. Yes, this is "only" Elvis sliding down a wall, but it's also ..... ELVIS ..... sliding down a wall.

Merry
12-22-2007, 04:23 AM
I already have started my own board . Several, in fact. We can talk about his prescription meds, his illness , and everything else ....but we do it with love and compassion. I'm sorry some don't posess that quality, by their own admission.

Hi Cameron,

Could you add a link to your details, please?

Kim

cameron
12-22-2007, 05:17 AM
I PM'd you ,Kim.

Cryo: I can add nothing more than you've so elegantly said.
I'm proud to know you're an Elvis fan. You seem much too young to have acquired so much wisdom in your short years. Stay close; Elvis needs fans like you . Happy Holidays ,son. Thank you . (y)

SeeSeeRider777
12-22-2007, 05:25 AM
If I offended anyone I apologize. I was just stating my opinion.

Kris P
12-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Was I critiquing his every **** move? NO! I dont feel I have accomplished anything by critiquing Elvis' final year.
I read your following statement:

.......in 77 he was not showing anything.
and was of the opinion that it was a derogatory observation of EP's final year, if this was not your intention, I apologize.

And what have I done to make someone smile or bring a tear to their eye? How bout bringing in an entire family who lost their home in a fire and letting them stay in my house free of charge. Its ok if you disagree with me but I wont allow any bashing.

For that you should be commended, though I feel you may have missed the broader intention of my statement.

SeeSeeRider777
12-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Ok then. Its settled. Truce.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-22-2007, 08:05 AM

I am appalled that such comments at being aimed in my general direction because I have questioned a threads title!

If I do not understand something then surely the onus is on the thread starter to enlighten me to help me understand and clarify the comments he has made.

I am aware that tone is lost in some posts, so perhaps I may have come across as brusk? However it would appear that your post is abundantly clear in tone and structure although lacking names to whom you are making such remarks. Perhaps I am being oversensitive? but words such as "Shocking. Deplorable and despicable" need an explanation.

Raised on Rock
12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
As the amazing talented performer he was, of course he was still able to deliver it in '76-'77, there were still great moments during his shows, but in general, and more than anything during the '77 June tour, his performance was below his own standars, he himself admited it when watching the playbacks of the CBS shows, now, Im not bashing the man here, but its just the way it was, funny story you tell on these thread (thanks for sharing, not putting down your thread), yeah of course, Elvis still was Elvis, on and of the stage, but it doesnīt prove he still had it in '77 to me, had what? the ability to walk without bumping into the floor? well yes, thanks good he wasnīt as bad as some people had tended to believe during his last year, or at least not that day, the story just prove the oposite to me, how bad could you look aged only 42, that people around you got surprised that you can actually manage your way to the limo?

Now Im not being cruel saying that, its just the way it is, not judging Elvis, but it was a sad end for a great man. This scene must have been amusing for some people around Elvis, but Elvis doesnīt seem to be having a ball isnīt? So proves he had what? If he was laughing himself out at least the scene will proves he still was having a good time.

Anyhow, YES Elvis still had it in '77, but this photo does not prove that to me, he should have been resting and getting himself together rather than doing shows that where below himself. ***And getting himself away from yes-men that aplaude him for everything he did, either cause he did a lousy performance or achieved to open the door.***

Kris P
12-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Excellent post ROR, particularly:

As the amazing talented performer he was, of course he was still able to deliver it in '76-'77, there were still great moments during his shows, but in general, and more than anything during the '77 June tour, his performance was below his own standars, he himself admited it when watching the playbacks of the CBS shows................................well yes, thanks good he wasnīt as bad as some people had tended to believe during his last year...........................
Anyhow, YES Elvis still had it in '77.....................he should have been resting and getting himself together rather than doing shows that where below himself.

rickb
12-22-2007, 09:42 AM
but some would have you believe Elvis had to be dragged out of a car and pointed towards the stage, or wheeled in to his performance. These photos prove otherwise and look to me like he still had initiative - and a clean suit and a half-full glass of water

Merry
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM

I agree!

Kim

Merry
12-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, said Priestly.Well actually I was warned by my friend ,who gave up with discussions here,now,I see she was right,this is really a strange case of human psychology which is triggered by Elvis's uniqueness,yes he was.Hopefully, all of us will see one day which activities we will be able to do prior to our deaths,as close as he was in these pictures.

Well said, and well said Diane, too.

Wonderful to read the good people stepping forward and saying "enough".

Well said Cameron, too.

There are a lot of lovely people in this world, which make up for the ones who don't care for others.

Kim

Elvis_Priestly
12-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I am appalled that such comments at being aimed in my general direction because I have questioned a threads title!

Rest assured that while my comments are aimed in a general direction, they are not made in yours. That general direction is those who wear "manure goggles" not something I would associate you with at all.

If I do not understand something then surely the onus is on the thread starter to enlighten me to help me understand and clarify the comments he has made.

Certainly and just what you did, unfortunately many seemed unwilling to answer your question preferring to take another opportunity to lay into Elvis.

I am aware that tone is lost in some posts, so perhaps I may have come across as brusk? However it would appear that your post is abundantly clear in tone and structure although lacking names to whom you are making such remarks. Perhaps I am being oversensitive? but words such as "Shocking. Deplorable and despicable" need an explanation.

The brusk and oversensitive nature of my reply (to this thread, not your individual post) was because I was the one who had the conversation with Sam Thompson, I remember the smile and look of pathos as he told it and the way he became choked when expressing to me how he misses Elvis everyday. This story was a signifigant one in his memories of his time with Elvis. Those who were there with anyone whom they have cared for and lost will often have strong feelings associated with the most mundane of events. Which though mundane are a manifestation of the spark of character which has made them cared for in the first place.

Were Sam himself a member here would he be told "yeah, so what?" Would he be called "pathetic" for becoming choked because he was only a bodyguard?

The things said about Elvis here are often shocking to me. Deplorable because I regret they have been said and lament often it is his own fans who say these things about him and others. Despicable because I detest to read them.

I defend my opinion of Elvis and, perhaps, Elvis himself because I know I don't know the truth and so much which is given here as truth is often nothing more than opinion.

Merry
12-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Rest assured that while my comments are aimed in a general direction, they are not made in yours. That general direction is those who wear "manure goggles" not something I would associate you with at all.

Certainly and just what you did, unfortunately many seemed unwilling to answer your question preferring to take another opportunity to lay into Elvis.

The brusk and oversensitive nature of my reply (to this thread, not your individual post) was because I was the one who had the conversation with Sam Thompson, I remember the smile and look of pathos as he told it and the way he became choked when expressing to me how he misses Elvis everyday. This story was a signifigant one in his memories of his time with Elvis. Those who were there with anyone whom they have cared for and lost will often have strong feelings associated with the most mundane of events. Which though mundane are a manifestation of the spark of character which has made them cared for in the first place.

Were Sam himself a member here would he be told "yeah, so what?" Would he be called "pathetic" for becoming choked because he was only a bodyguard?

The things said about Elvis here are often shocking to me. Deplorable because I regret they have been said and lament often it is his own fans who say these things about him and others. Despicable because I detest to read them.

I defend my opinion of Elvis and, perhaps, Elvis himself because I know I don't know the truth and so much which is given here as truth is often nothing more than opinion.

Well said, Conor.

Wonderful to read people speaking out, for what is right.

Merry Christmas to you, and your family,

Kim

Dovey
12-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Thank you Conor very well said.. I use to let these people upset me but the past months I just sit and laugh at them... some people thrive on attention and love to see their own name on here over and over again and to me that makes me wonder what kind of people would do this and pretend to be Elvis Fans. To be honest, I started to just ignore their posts but for some reason today I am reading this one and happy to see that you are not afraid to tell it like it really is. Thanks, Dovey

cameron
12-22-2007, 01:20 PM

The things said here about Elvis are shocking to me too. I've not seen this anywhere else. At least, not for many years .
IF his own fans can't defend him, then who will ?

It's easy to sit in judgment when you're not the one being judged .
I applaud your speaking up ; I was beginning to wonder if anyone ever would.
Thank you ,Conor.

jak
12-22-2007, 01:22 PM
As the amazing talented performer he was, of course he was still able to deliver it in '76-'77, there were still great moments during his shows, but in general, and more than anything during the '77 June tour, his performance was below his own standars, he himself admited it when watching the playbacks of the CBS shows, now, Im not bashing the man here, but its just the way it was, funny story you tell on these thread (thanks for sharing, not putting down your thread), yeah of course, Elvis still was Elvis, on and of the stage, but it doesnīt prove he still had it in '77 to me, had what? the ability to walk without bumping into the floor? well yes, thanks good he wasnīt as bad as some people had tended to believe during his last year, or at least not that day, the story just prove the oposite to me, how bad could you look aged only 42, that people around you got surprised that you can actually manage your way to the limo?

Now Im not being cruel saying that, its just the way it is, not judging Elvis, but it was a sad end for a great man. This scene must have been amusing for some people around Elvis, but Elvis doesnīt seem to be having a ball isnīt? So proves he had what? If he was laughing himself out at least the scene will proves he still was having a good time.

Anyhow, YES Elvis still had it in '77, but this photo does not prove that to me, he should have been resting and getting himself together rather than doing shows that where below himself. ***And getting himself away from yes-men that aplaude him for everything he did, either cause he did a lousy performance or achieved to open the door.***

That was a good post.Elvis had to much talent for it not to shine through at times no matter what he was going through.It's just that overall the majority of shows were subpar at that time.As an artist Elvis stopped creating for the most part.When we speak of a good moment it's because he did a good rendition of a song he had sung 150 times before.Not because he was striving to achieve anything.His ambition was gone at that point.He was broken.
To me Sam Thompson's vivid recollection of that photo incident is a bad sign.It shows he was surprised that Elvis would do such a small feat rather than take the easy way.Let's be serious about.That small drop off the ledge is nothing.Obviously at that time Thompson just didnt think Elvis was capable of it which is disturbing.Im also not bashing Elvis.I just think people are taking a "nothing" incident captured on film and trying to create some kind of majestic moment out of it.
Jak
BTW: Yesterday while walking in the pasture I nearly tripped over a small root sticking out of the ground.I stumbled forward but I was able to go faster and right myself without falling.My schnauzers and shepard watched me in awe as I acomplished that feat.I felt pretty darn good about myself.Im also 42 years old.Elvis probably felt the same way when he jumped down with the drink.

Merry
12-22-2007, 01:24 PM

The things said here about Elvis are shocking to me too. I've not seen this anywhere else. At least, not for many years .
IF his own fans can't defend him, then who will ?

It's easy to sit in judgment when you're not the one being judged .
I applaud your speaking up ; I was beginning to wonder if anyone ever would.
Thank you ,Conor.

Before you are picked on, Cam, I'd like to say to the person who loves to do so: "leave Cam alone" and "leave Elvis alone, as we are sick of it".

Thank you.

Kim

Merry
12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
That was a good post.Elvis had to much talent for it not to shine through at times no matter what he was going through.It's just that overall the majority of shows were subpar at that time.As an artist Elvis stopped creating for the most part.When we speak of a good moment it's because he did a good rendition of a song he had sung 150 times before.Not because he was striving to achieve anything.His ambition was gone at that point.He was broken.
To me Sam Thompson's vivid recollection of that photo incident is a bad sign.It shows he was surprised that Elvis would do such a small feat rather than take the easy way.Let's be serious about.That small drop off the ledge is nothing.Obviously at that time Thompson just didnt think Elvis was capable of it which is disturbing.Im also not bashing Elvis.I just think people are taking a "nothing" incident captured on film and trying to create some kind of majestic moment out of it.
Jak
BTW: Yesterday while walking in the pasture I nearly tripped over a small root sticking out of the ground.I stumbled forward but I was able to go faster and right myself without falling.My schnauzers and shepard watched me in awe as I acomplished that feat.I felt pretty darn good about myself.Im also 42 years old.Elvis probably felt the same way when he jumped down with the drink.

Hmmmm Jak, re your summary, could be that Sam didn't think he would be so lithe, and probably wasn't, as well as the others. I don't think I agree with your thoughts, at all (with respect).

jak
12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Hmmmm Jak, re your summary, could be that Sam didn't think he would be so lithe, and probably wasn't, as well as the others. I don't think I agree with your thoughts, at all (with respect).

You are correct.Im saying that Sam probably had seen Elvis in such overall poor condition by that time he wouldnt expect Elvis to do anything that would require extra effort.Elvis would normally be looking for the ramp or stairs.

rhythmknights
12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
:hug:love to hear well phrased posts from Elvis_Priestly and Raised on Rock. differing opinions but very well phrased without being vicious. (y) You two ROCK!:clap:
I looked at the photos, I saw Elvis' grimace as perhaps he was thinking, i pay these people too much for them to lead me to a dead end alley where no one can jump off a d*#& 2 foot ledge! (Just my little joke, you guys:D, not meaning to add fuel to a flame!)

cameron
12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Jak
When people keep saying that Elvis "couldn't stand up, walk , talk "or whatever else one wants to say...then this is indeed just a small way to show that the stories just weren't true. So, the "nothing" incident becomes an "important" incident in defense of the man we claim to care about.
He looked pretty good to me and appeared much more able to navigate that drop off than his younger companions.

Diane
12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
I think all anyone was trying to say by this was that Elvis still had something in him to the end. He wasn't having to be practically carried to his limo, he wasn't ready for a body bag.

It comes down to some wanting to give him credit for what he could still do, and others who want to take everything he could do away from him. I subscribe to the former.

If you look at photos of Elvis in the very early '70's you can see that even then in his physical peak after a very exhausting performance, he almost had to be helped off stage, so if that occurred in his later years.....what's the big deal??????

Diane

jak
12-22-2007, 04:18 PM
When people keep saying that Elvis "couldn't stand up, walk , talk "or whatever else one wants to say...then this is indeed just a small way to show that the stories just weren't true. So, the "nothing" incident becomes an "important" incident in defense of the man we claim to care about.
He looked pretty good to me and appeared much more able to navigate that drop off than his younger companions.

Actually there were times when Elvis was barely able to walk and function due to his drug abuse.Saying that the photo proves something is just crazy.The guy was only 42 and is merely dropping down off a small ledge.Do some of you actually think Elvis is doing something that everybody else in that photo couldnt do?Is that searching for anything to boost your own perception of Elvis at that time or what?Watch the version of Hound Dog in EIC if you want to see his moves at the time.Personally I cant because it's to disturbing and I cant convince myself anymore that he was just fine.Im glad that photo brings solace to so many.
Jak

Sonny
12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I am 42 and I would jump of it holding a glass of water, and not spill a drop.

Elvis wasn't in very good shape. But it's no news to us, is it?

The pictures, 8mm footage and pro footage show enough.

He had his moments in the seventies, that's for sure. But no one can state he was in a very good condition.

And no, we don't hate him for that. For me, I admire him trying to be there for his fans, while he should have been on what is nowadays called a "sabbatical".

Sonny

jak
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I am 42 and I would jump of it holding a glass of water, and not spill a drop.

Elvis wasn't in very good shape. But it's no news to us, is it?

The pictures, 8mm footage and pro footage show enough.

He had his moments in the seventies, that's for sure. But no one can state he was in a very good condition.

And no, we don't hate him for that. For me, I admire him trying to be there for his fans, while he should have been on what is nowadays called a "sabbatical".

Sonny

I agree with everything you wrote.I just tend to think that so many still dont, or wont realize just how bad it was the last couple of years.We can argue all day about the how's or why's.We cannot argue however on what the end results were and what state he put himself in.The evidence is all there in spite of a photo showcasing a spectacular 3 foot fall with drink in hand.
Jak

Dudcowboy_1
12-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Really to me he looks tired because this was from Macon, GA show. If anyone has heard recordings. This was one of his best shows in June of '77. This was last time he sang "American Trilogy." Also, as nolvis knows and I know after we are done with are shows we are so physically drained it shows in our pictures. I know I'm physically tired after every show.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

cameron
12-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I think some might be surprised at just how much others do know .
As adults; we should be allowed to make up our own minds on things we are aware of that others choose to not see.;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Thank you Elvis Priestly for you comments with regard to my post.

Whilst I understand your feelings on this matter, it would seem that there is a raft of people now taking this thread off topic for the benefit of getting back at certain individuals. I realise that there are many different points of view with equal viewpoints to support each position. I do though however think that those who oppose certain individuals are more fierce in their retribution.

IMO you give credence to people when you respond, if however you do not that individual has no oxygen to survive.

I see these threads turn into a battle zone on a daily basis, as a moderator it is disappointing that it is the same individuals that feel the need to strike out thus ensuring that a counter strike is inevitable.

Short of people using profanity or being overtly rude we as a team let most discussion run free of interference simply because we live in a free society and should not censor peoples opinions. It seems that there are certain elements on both sides who participate in a playground culture of tit for tat instead of taking the higher moral ground.

It would seem we have an Elvis dogma on both sides, and instead of each respecting each others individual points of view it seems there is a necessity to extol each others intransigent points of view. This tells us more about individual behaviours than it does about Elvis.

Perhaps with it being the festive period there could be a truce ;)

Merry
12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Thank you Elvis Priestly for you comments with regard to my post.

Whilst I understand your feelings on this matter, it would seem that there is a raft of people now taking this thread off topic for the benefit of getting back at certain individuals. I realise that there are many different points of view with equal viewpoints to support each position. I do though however think that those who oppose certain individuals are more fierce in their retribution.

IMO you give credence to people when you respond, if however you do not that individual has no oxygen to survive.

I see these threads turn into a battle zone on a daily basis, as a moderator it is disappointing that it is the same individuals that feel the need to strike out thus ensuring that a counter strike is inevitable.

Short of people using profanity or being overtly rude we as a team let most discussion run free of interference simply because we live in a free society and should not censor peoples opinions. It seems that there are certain elements on both sides who participate in a playground culture of tit for tat instead of taking the higher moral ground.

It would seem we have an Elvis dogma on both sides, and instead of each respecting each others individual points of view it seems there is a necessity to extol each others intransigent points of view. This tells us more about individual behaviours than it does about Elvis.

Perhaps with it being the festive period there could be a truce ;)

JJ with all due respect, I strongly disagree with your thought processes, plus the other mods.

I say something, because there are hateful comments which are being written, a point of view, that is an opinion, which new fans may take on board as true, if they are not deep thinkers.

We mustn't accept the hate, it isn't for the good. Broadly speaking, it isn't correct information, in my opinion, and the opinion of the Emotionally Intelligent friends and family, who were there. Also, the opinion of the polite fans, who don't say much, who are here. The majority, here.

Furthermore, sarcastic remarks made to fellow fans, isn't acceptable.

We have to stand for what is right in our world, and not take the easy path, of least resistance.

History is a great thing to learn from. We need to encourage fellowship and love. Some people seem to like following others, who kick people while they are down, and it is like a rock gathering moss. A strange enigma, to me.

It is time people stood up and said "no".

Who better than a Priest to word his thoughts succinctly, and in such a caring manner, for the fans to agree, and say "we agree, let's stop the hatrid, the snide remarks".

This is a fan board about Elvis Presley, we as fans, yes, we should have free speech, as we can put ourselves in others' shoes and in turn say:

"Enough, we want to be fans, showing our appreciation and respect, loving the music, dwelling on the good."

As Cam said, the negative can be spoken about, but with compassion, and love and not for heaven's sake, as a broken record and sadly, horribly, with hate!

Kim

Getlo
12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
I think what's going on here, if I can boil it down to its simplest and least confrontational ... (major edit) ... Yes, this is "only" Elvis sliding down a wall, but it's also ..... ELVIS ..... sliding down a wall.

Way too much info. I'm betting at least part of your current studies includes philosophy?

Ah, to be 24 again ...

It's just a pic of Elvis at a loading dock. Even Freud said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Getlo
12-22-2007, 08:08 PM
If I offended anyone I apologize. I was just stating my opinion.

Never apologise for sharing an opinion. You said nothing to offend.

Getlo
12-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Anyhow, YES Elvis still had it in '77, but this photo does not prove that to me

It's ... it's just a photo of him at a loading dock ...

That's all.

It doesn't say anything. It neither proves nor disproves anything. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't offer anything.

We've had virtual essays written here about its significance.

Elvis ... loading dock ... on the way to a limo ...

That's all.

That's all ..

That's all ...

:'(

Getlo
12-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I was the one who had the conversation with Sam Thompson, I remember the smile and look of pathos as he told it and the way he became choked when expressing to me how he misses Elvis everyday.

I am wondering something.

If this loading dock photo didn't exist, would Sam have ever thought of the "event" again?

Would he sit around regaling people with the tale of the day Elvis stepped off a loading dock without spilling a drop of water or getting his suit dirty?:blink:

cameron
12-22-2007, 08:20 PM
It's ... it's just a photo of him at a loading dock ...

That's all.

It doesn't say anything. It neither proves nor disproves anything. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't offer anything.

We've had virtual essays written here about it significance.

Elvis ... loading dock ... on the way to a limo ...

That's all.

That's all ..

That's all ...

:'(

I believe it's necessary to read the story that goes with it.

Getlo
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I nearly tripped over a small root sticking out of the ground.

Lucky you.

(You won't find that reply funny or meaningful in the least, but the Australians on here might ... :))

utmom2008
12-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Shocking. Deplorable and dispicable.

I don't think I'd go that far.....;);)

cameron
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Priestly
Shocking. Deplorable and dispicable.

I agree with Elvis_Priestly.

utmom2008
12-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Actually there were times when Elvis was barely able to walk and function due to his drug abuse.Saying that the photo proves something is just crazy.The guy was only 42 and is merely dropping down off a small ledge.Do some of you actually think Elvis is doing something that everybody else in that photo couldnt do?Is that searching for anything to boost your own perception of Elvis at that time or what?Watch the version of Hound Dog in EIC if you want to see his moves at the time.Personally I cant because it's to disturbing and I cant convince myself anymore that he was just fine.Im glad that photo brings solace to so many.
Jak
I couldn't agree with you more Jak, yet that somehow makes us cold and uncaring.:hmm::hmm: My husband hasn't seen 42 in awhile, and yes, he can do what is being done in this picture. The picture is not "uplifting", nor is it "depressing." It is what it is. Nothing more....nothing less. ;););)

jak
12-23-2007, 01:00 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Jak, yet that somehow makes us cold and uncaring.:hmm::hmm: My husband hasn't seen 42 in awhile, and yes, he can do what is being done in this picture. The picture is not "uplifting", nor is it "depressing." It is what it is. Nothing more....nothing less. ;););)

Agreed.That's all Im saying.Getlo also made a great point about whether Sam would recall thet event if he didnt have a photo.That's a given.I still cant believe that photo seems to be providing some kind of inspiration to people.It's almost comical.
Jak

Getlo
12-23-2007, 01:10 AM
The picture is not "uplifting", nor is it "depressing." It is what it is. Nothing more....nothing less. ;););)

Exactly.

Yes, Elvis is overweight, but he was in every pic taken at that time.

It doesn't show him as "not himself" at all. You can't tell anything is "wrong" from this pic either, save for maybe the lack of a convenient staircase.

It doesn't show athletic prowess beyond sliding off a loading dock ...

It just is what it is.

A pic of Elvis sliding off a loading dock.

That's all.

(smashes head against brick wall, starts to cry in frustration ... :'()

SweetCaroline
12-23-2007, 01:20 AM

One of the best posts I have read on this board in a very long time! :notworthy

Kris P
12-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Of course it is 'just a picture', of course Elvis is not leaping tall buildings in a single bound..........but there is an old saying, "a picture paints a thousand words", especially when accompanied by heartfelt anecdote from one of the people in the picture.
Of course Elvis is not leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Maybe we could start a new 'Cynics' sub forum?

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Of course it is 'just a picture', of course Elvis is not leaping tall buildings in a single bound..........
Of course Elvis is not leaping tall buildings in a single bound

He's not?????? Jeez.....I thought all this time that's what he used his cape for.;););)

Kris P
12-23-2007, 02:43 AM
He's not?????? Jeez.....I thought all this time that's what he used his cape for.;););)

Only between '71 and '73. ;)

Getlo
12-23-2007, 02:48 AM
Only between '71 and '73. ;)

Heh ... :)

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
JJ with all due respect, I strongly disagree with your thought processes, plus the other mods.

I say something, because there are hateful comments which are being written, a point of view, that is an opinion, which new fans may take on board as true, if they are not deep thinkers.

We mustn't accept the hate, it isn't for the good. Broadly speaking, it isn't correct information, in my opinion, and the opinion of the Emotionally Intelligent friends and family, who were there. Also, the opinion of the polite fans, who don't say much, who are here. The majority, here.

Furthermore, sarcastic remarks made to fellow fans, isn't acceptable.

We have to stand for what is right in our world, and not take the easy path, of least resistance.

History is a great thing to learn from. We need to encourage fellowship and love. Some people seem to like following others, who kick people while they are down, and it is like a rock gathering moss. A strange enigma, to me.

It is time people stood up and said "no".

Who better than a Priest to word his thoughts succinctly, and in such a caring manner, for the fans to agree, and say "we agree, let's stop the hatrid, the snide remarks".

This is a fan board about Elvis Presley, we as fans, yes, we should have free speech, as we can put ourselves in others' shoes and in turn say:

"Enough, we want to be fans, showing our appreciation and respect, loving the music, dwelling on the good."

As Cam said, the negative can be spoken about, but with compassion, and love and not for heaven's sake, as a broken record and sadly, horribly, with hate!

Kim

Thank you for proving the point I made in post 69, I believe in "Freedom of speech" of which I am happy to let you do without censure. This is not school, if you don't like someones point of view you can as an adult choose to ignore it.

If there are "HATEFUL" comments please show me what you consider hateful and I will show you someones opinion, We may not agree with it (Including myself). There are over six regular moderators on this board, all huge Elvis fans. I would be extremely sceptical if hateful comments had not been dealt with swiftly by one of us or are you implying that we all allow hateful comments to go unchecked?

I am perplexed as to why you are speaking about people as "Intelligent" and "Deep Thinkers" as though younger fans cannot make up there own mind, this suggests that you are making a moral judgement of others! IMO this is a huge disservice to younger fans. If this statement had been made by others on this board there would be outrage from certain quarters.

I sometimes wonder if people are offended by the persons style of expression rather than the topic, It is impossible to like everyone.

I speak from my own point of view as a moderator, the team on here discuss what action to take as a democracy. We all discuss OUR views and come to a decision without fighting. I'm pretty sure that the mods on here are as diverse as the members on the board, our views and opinions are not all the same but we get along just the same.

I find it difficult to hear people make statements about others being rude and hateful etc and then go on to do exactly the same to defend their own point of view. Those who shout loudest are not always necessarily right.

Merry
12-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you for proving the point I made in post 69, I believe in "Freedom of speech" of which I am happy to let you do without censure. This is not school, if you don't like someones point of view you can as an adult choose to ignore it.

If there are "HATEFUL" comments please show me what you consider hateful and I will show you someones opinion, We may not agree with it (Including myself). There are over six regular moderators on this board, all huge Elvis fans. I would be extremely sceptical if hateful comments had not been dealt with swiftly by one of us or are you implying that we all allow hateful comments to go unchecked?

I am perplexed as to why you are speaking about people as "Intelligent" and "Deep Thinkers" as though younger fans cannot make up there own mind, this suggests that you are making a moral judgement of others! IMO this is a huge disservice to younger fans. If this statement had been made by others on this board there would be outrage from certain quarters.

I sometimes wonder if people are offended by the persons style of expression rather than the topic, It is impossible to like everyone.

I speak from my own point of view as a moderator, the team on here discuss what action to take as a democracy. We all discuss OUR views and come to a decision without fighting. I'm pretty sure that the mods on here are as diverse as the members on the board, our views and opinions are not all the same but we get along just the same.

I find it difficult to hear people make statements about others being rude and hateful etc and then go on to do exactly the same to defend their own point of view. Those who shout loudest are not always necessarily right.

All I can say, is I'm not the only one who feels this way.

A lot of people have expressed the same, often (as in this thread) or am I wrong?

With regard to the younger fans. Yes, some younger fans may go on what is a stated opinion, as being the truth. (Some have a higher Emotional IQ than those who are a lot older, than they are). If some hear one opinion, over and over, this may de-sensitise, and this "opinion", can then become "fact". There is a saying, "hear it three times, and the statement is true". Same as the books, they are the writer's and the publisher's opinion. We all know, you can have three people hear the same thing, and come away with a different opinion of what happened.

Sometimes it is time to say "enough" when you read one person continually picking on others, correcting them, being rude, or sarcastic, while saying they are hard done by. That is my point.

SeeSeeRider777
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
How can anyone say that Elvis in 77 was "pure Elvis"? When we think of Elvis we think of that man who walked out on to Aloha and was in tip top form or that man in TTWII who was belting out new songs with feeling, or that guy who stepped out from that horrid 8 years of making terrible movies and showed he still had it in the 68 special. In 68 that was showing he still had it, in 77 he was not showing anything.

I was not saying anything bad about Elvis' final year, compared to the other events in his life I dont think he was proving he still had it because he had nothing to prove. Correct me if I am wrong because I wasnt born until 1989 but were people in 77 questioning if Elvis still had it?

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 06:02 PM

If there are "HATEFUL" comments please show me what you consider hateful and I will show you someones [B]opinion, We may not agree with it (Including myself).

I agree with your post JJ...thank you for expressing yourself so eloquently. There is a problem with "words" on a computer screen....no 2 people will ever interpret them the same way. People that show humor through sarcasm are often branded as "hateful." IMO...some posters have a problem with anyone they consider "new".....it's as though you have to put in your time before you can be heard.:supriced::blush:

cameron
12-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I was not saying anything bad about Elvis' final year, compared to the other events in his life I dont think he was proving he still had it because he had nothing to prove. Correct me if I am wrong because I wasnt born until 1989 but were people in 77 questioning if Elvis still had it?

Yes, some were .

cameron
12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
[/B]

I agree with your post JJ...thank you for expressing yourself so eloquently. There is a problem with "words" on a computer screen....no 2 people will ever interpret them the same way. People that show humor through sarcasm are often branded as "hateful." IMO...some posters have a problem with anyone they consider "new".....it's as though you have to put in your time before you can be heard.:supriced::blush:

IMO, there is no need for sarcasm anywhere at anytime.
Especially where people do not really know each other.
They only seem to distract .

Yes, it does appear one has " to put in their time " some places.
Many others welcome "newcomers."

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
IMO, there is no need for sarcasm anywhere at anytime.

Yes, it does appear one has " to put in their time " some places.
Many others welcome "newcomers."

But that's my point Cameron.....I think sarcasm is often used as humor, it's not meant to offend anyone.
I guess all boards have "welcomers" and "non-welcomers".....;)

cameron
12-23-2007, 06:35 PM
[/B]

But that's my point Cameron.....I think sarcasm is often used as humor, it's not meant to offend anyone.
I guess all boards have "welcomers" and "non-welcomers".....;)

I've found sarcasm used in conversation shows a persons nervousness and lack of anything constructive to say.

It's kind of nice to be welcomed to someplace new though.
Not jumped on or be made "to put in your time", before being acknowledged.

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
It's kind of nice to be welcomed to someplace new though.
Not jumped on or be made "to put in your time", before being acknowledged.

Yes....I agree with you totally on that.:D

nolvis
12-23-2007, 10:09 PM
:D:xmas:I just showed my niece the picture of Elvis by the dumpster and she loves it!!! The picture's ARE really cool, and I don't think he look's unhappy at all Presley31, he just looks cool.(no offence intended):D:xmas:(y):king:(y):newyear::merryxmas

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 11:18 PM
What me and other people are saying is that Elvis' performances in 76/77 were not up to the same quality as in 68-74.

Yes, that's the absolute truth. We knew something was changing, and not for the better. Regardless of what other posters may say......you don't have to be a "deep thinker" to hear and see what was happening.

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Weren't actually there?? Do you mean living with Elvis on a personal, day to day basis?? I'm guessing no one here was.;)If you mean being there year after year after year for shows, then yes...some of us were there.;)

utmom2008
12-23-2007, 11:34 PM

I understand your post very well. Congrats on posting your thoughts and not being ridiculed for them.;);)

cameron
12-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Nope, I wasn't there either. Looking at the videos, listening to his music.
No, he wasn't "thirty something" anymore in '77.
But, I was tickled I got to see and hear him in 1977.
He put on a great show.

Looking at some of his last performances; he looked terribly ill to me.
Very tired...he put a lot into his shows and I appreciated the one I saw.

KPM
12-23-2007, 11:52 PM
IMO I think a little sarcasm-goes a long way. A lot of sarcasm tends to put people on the defensive. Surely there is a medium point to get a point across without making someone feel "pushed"

Sarcasm and compassion are two of the qualities that make life on earth tolerable.
Nick Hornby, 31 Songs

Getlo
12-23-2007, 11:57 PM
but were people in 77 questioning if Elvis still had it?

If you want to get technical about it, people were first asking that same question in late '56!

It was also discussed throughout the movie years.

But, in terms of his post '68 comeback, there were a few rumblings as early as '70. The genuinely bad reviews started in '73, although they were still well in the minority.

By '76-'77 - and this is based purely on concerts reviews of the time - half of them said he was good or still had "it"; probably another 40% said he was still okay, with many "buts"; and the rest ... just plain bad, or that "it" was gone.

Again, this question and others like it are entirely subjective.

Oh, and JJ ... excellent post, thank you. Well said.

Getlo
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Sarcasm and compassion are two of the qualities that make life on earth tolerable. Nick Hornby, 31 Songs

Well, he was half right! :)

bhogg
12-24-2007, 03:00 AM

The "it" is obviously a cup of water. Elvis still had his cup of water.

Unchained Melody
12-24-2007, 03:06 AM
It's just a pic of him sliding off a loading dock, nothing more than that.

Exactly. And to see that elvis still had it in '77 just because of that is alittle over the edge i.m.o.

Thanks for the story and photo's though Nolvis.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-24-2007, 03:36 AM
All I can say, is I'm not the only one who feels this way.

A lot of people have expressed the same, often (as in this thread) or am I wrong?

With regard to the younger fans. Yes, some younger fans may go on what is a stated opinion, as being the truth. (Some have a higher Emotional IQ than those who are a lot older, than they are). If some hear one opinion, over and over, this may de-sensitise, and this "opinion", can then become "fact". There is a saying, "hear it three times, and the statement is true". Same as the books, they are the writer's and the publisher's opinion. We all know, you can have three people hear the same thing, and come away with a different opinion of what happened.

Sometimes it is time to say "enough" when you read one person continually picking on others, correcting them, being rude, or sarcastic, while saying they are hard done by. That is my point.

I have started a new thread here http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=17668

Kris P
12-24-2007, 05:50 AM
But, in terms of his post '68 comeback, there were a few rumblings as early as '70. The genuinely bad reviews started in '73, although they were still well in the minority.

Even earlier, Getlo.
Would you believe Vegas '69?
Here's a review from the LA Times of EP's Vegas opening of 1969.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6426/69reviewij2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

utmom2008
12-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Even earlier, Getlo.
Would you believe Vegas '69?
Here's a review from the LA Times of EP's Vegas opening of 1969.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6426/69reviewij2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Can't read what it says, but that is unbelievable...(n)(n) I'm assuming the writer just had it in for him some reason....:hmm:

Diane
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
There were people who wanted to put Elvis down from the very beginning so this is no news or a shock to me. I just feel sorry for those who couldn't enjoy him.

Diane

nolvis
12-24-2007, 04:13 PM
:xmas:Well said Diane!:newyear: