PDA

View Full Version : New Interview With Joe Esposito

sergio_luiz
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
We did an interview with Elvis friend and roadmanager, Joe Esposito. You can check it out here:

http://www.elvisbrasil.com/epbrasil/JOEESPOSITOINTERVIEW.htm

Our other interviews can be found here, both in portuguese as well in english:
http://www.elvisbrasil.com/epbrasil/entrevistas.htm

TC,

Sergio Biston
Elvis Collectors Brasil

nolvis
12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
:xmas:Thank's alot for posting this!:xmas:

Suzan
12-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Interesting, but a lot of mispelling and errors.
Thank you for posting it though. I hope the home movies plan does come to fruition.:)

franny
12-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks, so much for posting sergio_luiz (y)

I also hope Joe will share his home movies!

franny

Diane
12-11-2007, 02:13 AM
It really would be nice but I won't hold my breath.;)

Diane

sergio_luiz
12-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Interesting, but a lot of mispelling and errors.
Thank you for posting it though. I hope the home movies plan does come to fruition.:)

Could you please point the errors? As english is not my natural english, I may let some mispellings go without noticing.

Lion
12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
More homevideo - would be so great if they are unseen so far!

elvislady
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for posting the link Sergio.
elvislady:xmas:

Stryx
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Im very dissapointed with Esposito.

At this stage in his life he should stop the lies and start telling the truth.

It's as if all of his responses were approved by EPE.

Terrible.(n)

MissyM
12-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Stryx, I have to say, I agree on what you said. I don't really care for Joe a lot. I always felt that out of most of the guys, he wanted to be more special to Elvis. Pricilla wanted her and Elvis to be best buds with Joe and his wife. He has always been Pricilla's favorite. (and Jerry Shilling) Why? And yes, the untruths need to stop. I don't know, it's just as if he puts himself on a higher level than the rest of the guys. Elvis was the one who found two of his relatives dead?? Well, that's news to me.

riley
12-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I always wondered why Pris liked Joe.
Jerry she liked, I know that and I still think they like each other very much today also but Joe, I still don't know why.

She did like Joannie because Joannie was her constant chaperone in the married years when she needed her escape and I think Joannie could keep het mouth shut and did many many times.

I guess both Joannie and Pris liked to chase and flirt with other men, so they needed each other to be each others aliby

ksimms2
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Im very dissapointed with Esposito.

At this stage in his life he should stop the lies and start telling the truth.

It's as if all of his responses were approved by EPE.

Terrible.(n)

my thoughts exactly. he is still telling half truth's. Especially about trying to revive Elvis....that never happened - as has been stated since - I don't get it. He is telling things the way EPE wants it told (or Priscilla or both)

ksimms2
12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Stryx, I have to say, I agree on what you said. I don't really care for Joe a lot. I always felt that out of most of the guys, he wanted to be more special to Elvis. Pricilla wanted her and Elvis to be best buds with Joe and his wife. He has always been Pricilla's favorite. (and Jerry Shilling) Why? And yes, the untruths need to stop. I don't know, it's just as if he puts himself on a higher level than the rest of the guys. Elvis was the one who found two of his relatives dead?? Well, that's news to me.

Yea..Billy is the one who found Travis dead. Don't remember about the other cousin off the top of my head. And Joe says he was WITH HIM when he found 2 of his cousins dead.....huh?

MissyM
12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Was it Tracy that Billy found dead.(my memory isn't that good anymore) And Bobby, his brother too if I remember right. But as far as I know, Joe was not around much less Elvis. That reminds me of a funny story about Tracy. But it's off topic. When I get a chance I'll put it in that place.

ksimms2
12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Was it Tracy that Billy found dead.(my memory isn't that good anymore) And Bobby, his brother too if I remember right. But as far as I know, Joe was not around much less Elvis. That reminds me of a funny story about Tracy. But it's off topic. When I get a chance I'll put it in that place.

I meant Bobby....but didn't he find Travis dead too? For some reason Travis is sticking in my head too.....

MissyM
12-12-2007, 02:27 AM
K- I don't remember. I thought everyone was around when Travis died. Oh, I just don't remember anymore. But we sure know it wasn't Joe!

Suzan
12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Well said Stryx :)
Pris liked him because he does and says what he's told.
Hi Sirgio, ok, I go thru it and email you the mis-spells, etc...I apologize I thought it was the way Joe was speaking.:)

Lonniebealestreet
12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link, Sergio.

I have mixed feelings about Joe, Jerry, and those who carry the EPE torch.

On the one hand it's understandable to be frustrated with them as I am to hear whitewashed accounts of certain things, when we have contradicting tales from those who are not involved in the officially sanctioned projects and obviously have less pressure to conform.

However, being personal friends of Elvis as they were, when certain truths are stretched in the name of attempting to keep their friend's name as untarnished as possible, it is hard for me to strictly find fault in that. Now, when tall tales are told to preserve Priscilla's image, that is another story.

Take Charlie for example, RIP. Indeed, he was a yes-man if ever there was, his book had a few interesting anecdotes but was mostly fluff (not to mention completely directionless, and he had help!), and he was out there talking about bone cancer and denying Elvis' faults probably more than anyone else, and all that stuff was annoying...but you cannot say the guy was not loyal. I respect that.

With the passage of time and the revelations about Elvis from other people, it has become easier over the years for some to speak honestly and candidly about Elvis -- some much easier than others! But those who have trouble opening up about certain things and try to maintain the loyalty to Elvis that they had while he was alive at the expense of truth, I can't completely disrespect on that grounds.

Now, there were a couple things Joe said that struck me as funny. On one hand he said that Elvis complained to the guys about the crappy movie scripts and did not do as he should have and talked to the Colonel about it, being unhappy as he was and growing to hate making some of those movies like he did. And on the other, in the context of the forces behind his marriage to Priscilla he said you couldn't make him do a **** thing he didn't want to do. :hmm:

Also he said that how after Elvis died it took him like three months to fully realize Elvis was gone and was not coming back. Now, I can't get inside his head and claim I understand his grieving process and how that all hit him, but I would suggest that it took so long because Joe was not around during the last nine months of his life like he suggested that he was, saying how he talked about the book with him every night! When they weren't on the road, Joe mostly stayed in California as I understand it.

So that untruth was a little self-serving and the talk about marriage was a little Priscilla-serving, so those are not the types of things I was referring to that are hard for me to find fault in. But who knows...maybe the Priscilla story is what he truly believes.

Heck, maybe it's all true...I wasn't there! :lol: Well, we do the best we can in taking all the accounts we have heard from everyone and swirling them around in our brains and putting them through a BS filter. I feel like I have a pretty good idea about the truth on a number of matters and yeah, my BS filter did start to clog up a couple of times when reading that interview.

But overall I think Joe is alright, mostly doing his friend good. I also think there is something to the notion that these guys, having dedicated a good portion of their lives to Elvis and with Elvis's life in many ways being their own lives, they do have some right to talk about it and attempt to make a living off of it. Some do this more tastefully than others.

I met Joe at an event a few years ago where he was hocking his goods and acting like Diamond Joe the superstar, and it struck me as a little sad and a little funny, but I understood, you know? We make these regular people what they are by our continued interest because of their previous association with a very special person, and if that gives them an opportunity to earn a living in a similarly unique way that they did when working for Elvis, hey, great.

The people who had frequent access to Elvis and knew him better than the rest of the world won't be around forever and we should take advantage of the opportunity to listen to their stories, however flawed they might be, while we can. Maybe every once in a while they'll throw us a fresh bone in our quest for the truth.

Getlo
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Also he said that how after Elvis died it took him like three months to fully realize Elvis was gone and was not coming back. Now, I can't get inside his head and claim I understand his grieving process and how that all hit him, but I would suggest that it took so long because Joe was not around during the last nine months of his life like he suggested that he was, saying how he talked about the book with him every night! When they weren't on the road, Joe mostly stayed in California as I understand it.

Come on; Joe knew Elvis for 20 years or so. The loss of such a friend after so long would naturally take a while to fully sink in - it wouldn't matter whether he was "around" in the final months or not ...

Lonniebealestreet
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I hear you. It was not without a twinge of guilt that I said that, and that's why I stressed that I can't get inside his head and claim I understand his grieving process and how that all hit him.

My larger point there though was that he implied that he was around more than he actually was, and he has done so before. I think that holds true.

Getlo
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
My larger point there though was that he implied that he was around more than he actually was, and he has done so before. I think that holds true.

Point taken ...

MissyM
12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
I have nothing really against Joe. Anyone who gave of themselves to Elvis holds a certain amount of respect to me. And ppl are just human beings, no one is perfect. And there were dynamics in the ppl around Elvis that we may never completely understand. But I do think he loved Elvis and his grief was real. I hope he is happy in his life and am thankful that he helps keep Elvis's memory going.

Getlo
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I have nothing really against Joe. Anyone who gave of themselves to Elvis holds a certain amount of respect to me.

Try explaining that to the MM bashers ... ;)

ksimms2
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Getlo, you know I'm not a MM basher....but Joe's interview didn't sit well with me. I've read so many interviews by him - and he seems to contradict himself alot. Especially the whole "did he try and rescucitate (sp?) or not? He himself has said he did not and he does not know where that story comes from......well obviously it comes from him.

That is what bothers me about Joe. I am grateful for him telling us about his life with Elvis as I am the other MM members - but when it comes to that fateful day - he is not telling the complete truth.

utmom2008
12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the link, Sergio.

I have mixed feelings about Joe, Jerry, and those who carry the EPE torch.

On the one hand it's understandable to be frustrated with them as I am to hear whitewashed accounts of certain things, when we have contradicting tales from those who are not involved in the officially sanctioned projects and obviously have less pressure to conform.

However, being personal friends of Elvis as they were, when certain truths are stretched in the name of attempting to keep their friend's name as untarnished as possible, it is hard for me to strictly find fault in that. Now, when tall tales are told to preserve Priscilla's image, that is another story.

Take Charlie for example, RIP. Indeed, he was a yes-man if ever there was, his book had a few interesting anecdotes but was mostly fluff (not to mention completely directionless, and he had help!), and he was out there talking about bone cancer and denying Elvis' faults probably more than anyone else, and all that stuff was annoying...but you cannot say the guy was not loyal. I respect that.

With the passage of time and the revelations about Elvis from other people, it has become easier over the years for some to speak honestly and candidly about Elvis -- some much easier than others! But those who have trouble opening up about certain things and try to maintain the loyalty to Elvis that they had while he was alive at the expense of truth, I can't completely disrespect on that grounds.

Now, there were a couple things Joe said that struck me as funny. On one hand he said that Elvis complained to the guys about the crappy movie scripts and did not do as he should have and talked to the Colonel about it, being unhappy as he was and growing to hate making some of those movies like he did. And on the other, in the context of the forces behind his marriage to Priscilla he said you couldn't make him do a **** thing he didn't want to do. :hmm:

So that untruth was a little self-serving and the talk about marriage was a little Priscilla-serving, so those are not the types of things I was referring to that are hard for me to find fault in. But who knows...maybe the Priscilla story is what he truly believes.

Heck, maybe it's all true...I wasn't there! :lol: Well, we do the best we can in taking all the accounts we have heard from everyone and swirling them around in our brains and putting them through a BS filter. I feel like I have a pretty good idea about the truth on a number of matters and yeah, my BS filter did start to clog up a couple of times when reading that interview.

But overall I think Joe is alright, mostly doing his friend good. I also think there is something to the notion that these guys, having dedicated a good portion of their lives to Elvis and with Elvis's life in many ways being their own lives, they do have some right to talk about it and attempt to make a living off of it. Some do this more tastefully than others.

I met Joe at an event a few years ago where he was hocking his goods and acting like Diamond Joe the superstar, and it struck me as a little sad and a little funny, but I understood, you know? We make these regular people what they are by our continued interest because of their previous association with a very special person, and if that gives them an opportunity to earn a living in a similarly unique way that they did when working for Elvis, hey, great.

The people who had frequent access to Elvis and knew him better than the rest of the world won't be around forever and we should take advantage of the opportunity to listen to their stories, however flawed they might be, while we can. Maybe every once in a while they'll throw us a fresh bone in our quest for the truth.
I for one love this post...I think alot of thought went into this.:hmm::hmm: Like Kelly though, I don't understand the verbal volleyball on wether or not he tried to resuscitate Elvis. I mean....either he did, or he didn't. Joe started this...stick with one version or another. It's much like Pris and her "sex life" stories of Elvis. Either they did, or they didn't. :lol: I think I could remember if Elvis and I had a great sex life.:lol::lol:

Getlo
12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Does make you wonder why someone changes their story? If someone you knew changed their story like that you would become suspicious. What if, when he released his version the rest of the guys decided it should all be the same?

BSmith ???? ;)

utmom2008
12-12-2007, 05:39 PM
BSmith ???? ;)
I wondered who would be first to comment on this....:lol:;)