PDA

View Full Version : when did Elvis start singing gospel?

Rover
11-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Somewhere in the 70s I guess, but when exactly? :)

ReGina_89
11-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Po Po he started gospel ever since he was a little child with his parents in church!! he even sang gospel numbers on the stage shows he did back in the 50s... Elvis always sang gospel

Rover
11-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey my twin sister! Howdy? :D
I meant, gospel on stage...singing in the chruch when he was a kid doesn't count. But I didn't know he sang gospel in 50s show :)

ReGina_89
11-26-2007, 07:55 AM
LOL twin sister im flattered :)
yea he sang gospel on the ed sullivan show...
Peace in the valley...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=96IhveQn92g&feature=related

marijaep
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
LOL twin sister im flattered :)
yea he sang gospel on the ed sullivan show...
Peace in the valley...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=96IhveQn92g&feature=related

Yep, that's right ;)

Getlo
11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
But I didn't know he sang gospel in 50s show :)

He sang some gospel on stage in the fifties, though rarely.

And he performed Swing Down, Sweet Chariot in Hawaii in 1961 as well.

elvis himselvis
11-26-2007, 02:32 PM

What songs did he sang live in the 50's?

poormansgold
11-26-2007, 02:39 PM

yup You right , Elvis did do gospel In his show in 50's, It was rarely.
The first time He Sing How Great Thro Art Is November 10, 1970 (8:30 pm). Oakland, CA. Plus Amen Was Added To I Got A Woman In Middle of August Shows In Las Vegas.
TRACKLIST
Opening Theme / That's All Right / I Got A Woman - Amen / I Walk The Line (excerpt) / Tiger Man / Proud Mary / Love Me Tender / You Don't Have To Say You Love Me / Sweet Caroline / You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' / Polk Salad Annie / Introductions / Johnny B. Goode (James Burton) / How Great Thou Art (reprise) / The Wonder Of You / Heartbreak Hotel / Blue Suede Shoes / Hound Dog / Bridge Over Troubled Water / Suspicious Minds / Funny How Time Slips Away / Can't Help Falling In Love.
Tom

LovesElvis
11-26-2007, 03:07 PM
'Tis my understanding (from The Gospel Side of Elvis by Joe Moscheo) that he sang 'Peace in the Valley' on Ed Sullivan against the wishes of the network and host. He sang it for his mom, as that was her favorite gospel song.

That's a really good book, btw.

elvis himselvis
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
'Tis my understanding (from The Gospel Side of Elvis by Joe Moscheo) that he sang 'Peace in the Valley' on Ed Sullivan against the wishes of the network and host. He sang it for his mom, as that was her favorite gospel song.

That's a really good book, btw.

I heard this story before,I think it was great Elvis did what he wanted.

KPM
11-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I've read he went to the Gospel Conventions in Memphis and all night sings before he was famous-after he became famous he still went but would be back stage and did not sing on stage-he would have I'm sure but Col. Parker told him he could'nt. He did occassionally come out and get introduced near the end of the shows.

ruggishboo
11-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Somewhere in the 70s I guess, but when exactly? :)

Well, if you believe the widely told story of Elvis sliding off Gladys's lap in church to go up front to sing, I guess he started when he was two years old. From everything I've ever read, Elvis sang gospel music his entire life. It just wasn't much a part of his concerts until the 70's. Even then, it was primarily How Great Thou Art and a select few others on occasion.

cameron
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUfYkN5eqis&feature=PlayList&p=C9F2E26AF5EE95B0&index=0&playnext=1
This was a very good documentary of early influences ,etc. on Elvis.
It's 6 parts, I think.

elvis himselvis
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes he did more gospel songs in the 70's but it wasn't much,but I think he did that because most of the fans prefered his other kind of songs.