PDA

View Full Version : What the heck was Vernon thinking???

MissyM
11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Bringing Dee into his and Elvis's life. I mean, it's not like the women had much going for her. Ok men don't bash me here but you know, a regular sex partner maybe??? I feel embarrassed just asking but I gotta say it. My MIL, saw that women's true self from the get go. And I will not repeat her words. MIL was a bit crude and outspoken at times.

Getlo
11-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Vernon had other sex partners, both during his marriage to Gladys (like father, like son) and afterwards, so who knows why?

He must have seen something in her ...

He possibly liked the idea of having the security of a wife.

MissyM
11-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Don't you think for men security of having a wife means not having to go out and look???

Getlo
11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Don't you think for men security of having a wife means not having to go out and look???

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Er, it doesn't work like that, especially not for a notorious swordsman like Vernon!

riley
11-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Dee sure wasn't pretty.
Vernon could have made a far better choice.
I sometimes even suspect her of liking Elvis more then his daddy.
She is a bitter women, said real nasty things about Elvis...

Haha plain envy and not met emotions on her side.

Getlo
11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Dee sure wasn't pretty.

Well, physical attraction was clearly no great factor when he chose Gladys.

Dee was reasonably attractive in her younger day.

cameron
11-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Dee sure wasn't pretty.
Vernon could have made a far better choice.
I sometimes even suspect her of liking Elvis more then his daddy.
She is a bitter women, said real nasty things about Elvis...

Haha plain envy and not met emotions on her side.

One of his attorneys thought the same. She wanted Elvis not Vernon .
Who knows ?

elvislady
11-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I dont know much about vernon and dee"s relationship only what i have read, obveosley he fell in love with her. there had to be something about her he liked he took on her 3 children.
elvislady;)

riley
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
getlo,

Gladys was said to be a very beautiful women in her younger days

cameron
11-11-2007, 02:52 PM
getlo,

Gladys was said to be a very beautiful women in her younger days

I thought Gladys was very pretty in her younger days too. Also, read she was very out going and a lot of fun.
Here's their wedding picture :
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/weddingVG.jpg

Getlo
11-11-2007, 03:07 PM
getlo,Gladys was said to be a very beautiful women in her younger days

Well, maybe it's a "sisterhood" thing, with you gals trying to stick together.

But from a male point of view ... Gladys? ... no thanks!

riley
11-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I think this was not their wedding pic, but looking at her, you must ofcourse all see it in "that" frame of time and she was not a movie star, nor was Vernon...
But just look at her possible earliest pic the one with little Elvis wearing a hat...

She was a tiny girl and yes had good features.
But they were poor so no way they could have looked like movie stars.

Dee had all the money when married to Vern and still was not pretty or classy at all.

I even have a picture of her copiing Pris with black hairdo...

Like she wanted to look like her.... strange but I relly think deep down she ressented Pris for having Elvis

Diane
11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know about Dee wanting Elvis himself but I think she certainly wanted to get herself in his limelight, fame and money.

The Presley men seem to be ripe for determined agressive greedy women.

Diane

Getlo
11-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Amount of wealth has little or no bearing on one's looks.

And no, I'm not that sexist to expect the mother of The King of Rock'n'Roll to look like a movie star.

To my eyes, she just wasn't attractive at all.

riley
11-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Amount of wealth has little or no bearing on one's looks

end quote

Maybe true but being very very poor and deprived of good food, vitamines and proper health care can change a young beauty very fast into only a shadow of her own self

cameron
11-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I think this was not their wedding pic, but looking at her, you must ofcourse all see it in "that" frame of time and she was not a movie star, nor was Vernon...
But just look at her possible earliest pic the one with little Elvis wearing a hat...

She was a tiny girl and yes had good features.

Dee had all the money when married to Vern and still was not pretty or classy at all.

I even have a picture of her copiing Pris with black hairdo...

Like she wanted to look like her.... strange but I relly think deep down she ressented Pris for having Elvis

Don't know if it's their wedding pic or not. It was the caption under it.
Gladys was dark & I thought very pretty compared to Vernon. :doh:

Diane
11-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree with Riley, there was something very soft and sweet in Gladys looks when she was young. There is a picture of her standing with Elvis in the yard (don't know which yard), the picture is old and fuzzy but what you can see of her, she was slim and attractive at the time....not a raving beauty, but she had a soft kind of haunting type of beauty.

Getlo, I have no problem with you not finding her attractive. Everyone has their own taste.

Diane

riley
11-11-2007, 03:35 PM
they were both IMO average looking people from that time...
No real beauties but certainly no ugly people either.

I think Vernon became more handsome growing older and Gladys well I think she was very ill by the time most of her pics came in the press. Such a shame tough

Dee was ugly IMO even with all the money in the world

riley
11-11-2007, 03:36 PM
quote Diane

haunting type of beauty.

end quote

thanks again for wording my feelings...

riley
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
always liked this picture of her

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1338/a20bbvt9.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a20bbvt9.jpg)

Diane
11-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the picture Riley, me too. I like any picture of her that shows her happy.

I also found that in videos I've seen of her, she carried herself well.

Diane

presley31
11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Great picture but l don't really see what vernon saw in dee at all.

MissyM
Aside from getting married to Gladys, I don't think Vernon had a lick of sense when it came to women. Personally I think the "little guy" did his thinking. Will duck and run fast now.

cameron
This IS a good picture of Gladys . I've never seen it.
So many pictures of her ;she looked so sad .:'(
I guess she just never felt very good.

riley
11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
cameron,

that's why I like it indeed.

Haha

Missy, you hit the nail right...

He was a playboy indeed.
tought more with his..... then with his brains. Sorry

Diane
11-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Yup, I have to agree with that Riley. :D I have a feeling that was quite common in both sides of Elvis' family, hence why Elvis could never be faithful. It was simply a natural thing to him.

I never liked Dee's looks either. Her boys were adorable looking when young but sure turned out like her personality-wise in the end.

Diane

Getlo
11-11-2007, 03:55 PM
It is a complete myth thay men think with their nether regions, a myth usually promulgated by angry feminists.

Men make the choice to sleep around, or do whatever it is we do. Thinking "down there" is just an excuse.

Like celebrities, eg Michael Douglas, who said "I'm a sex addict" when he got caught screwing around on his wife. It's utter rubbish. Men either choose to be faithful, or they don't.

And yes, ladies, it really is that simple!

riley
11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
thanks Getlo for explaining us a bit how man think.

Yeah they never come with a user guidline and sometimes I wish desperately they would....:lmfao:

Diane
11-11-2007, 04:10 PM
:D:D:D Riley! I sure agree with having user guidelines. I imagine they could use some for us too though. :D:D:D

Diane

riley
11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
there will never be a user guidline printed of us women Diane...

No matter in what language, men wouldn't understand it anyway and would only end up pushing buttons :lmfao::lmfao:

MissyM
11-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh come on now Getlo, nations have been brought to ruin because of the power women had over them!!! (btw have I told you I love some of your posts??)

MojoElvis
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I never understood it myself. I think he was a player like Elvis was. I've read that he would get to the fan mail before Elvis and keep some of the nudie pics the female would send.
When I think of what this family brought to the table it really makes me sick. Dee and her kids in my opinion was nothing but a family free loading on Elvis' money. First of all, Elvis' feelings got hurt. It was only a year or less after Gladys had died. He never held it agiast her sons. He would say, it's not their fault.

Other than that, they took over the security after Elvis had Red, Sonny and Dave let go. It was just to teach them a lesson. He was going to bring them back. They took care of Elvis,

we see where putting The Stanley boys in charge of security got Elvis, just over a year later. They should've been watching him. Sonny or Red would sleep near by or in the bedroom with him sometimes but these guys were just messing around doing their drugs, letting people in the house that wearen't suppose to be there.

riley
11-11-2007, 04:25 PM
quote Mojo
I never understood it myself. I think he was a player like Elvis was. I've read that he would get to the fan before Elvis and keep some of the nudie pics the female would send.
When I think of what this family brought to the table it really makes me sick. Dee and her kids in my opinion was nothing but a family free loading on Elvis' money. First of all, Elvis' feelings got hurt. It was only a year or less after Gladys had died. He never held it agiast her sons. He would say, it's not their fault.
Other than that, they took over the security after Elvis had Red, Sonny and Dave let go. It was just to teach them a lesson. He was going to bring them back. They took care of Elvis, we where putting The Stanley boys in charge of security got him, just over a year later. They should've been watching him. Sonny or Red would sleep near by or in the bedroom with sometimes but these guys were just messing around doing their drugs.

end quote

(y)(y)

May
11-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, physical attraction was clearly no great factor when he chose Gladys.

Dee was resonably attractive in her younger day.

Bit of a spiteful thing to say. Plus when she was younger Gladys was rather attractive. :P:P

May
11-11-2007, 05:28 PM
It is a complete myth thay men think with their nether regions, a myth usually promulgated by angry feminists.

Men make the choice to sleep around, or do whatever it is we do. Thinking "down there" is just an excuse.

Like celebrities, eg Michael Douglas, who said "I'm a sex addict" when he got caught screwing around on his wife. It's utter rubbish. Men either choose to be faithful, or they don't.

Now THAT I do agree with! :D

Burning_Love
11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I've always wondered this question too.
I think Vernon probably didn't want to be alone, like Elvis, so he found someone else. IMO.

Latte
11-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, maybe it's a "sisterhood" thing, with you gals trying to stick together.

But from a male point of view ... Gladys? ... no thanks!

Sorry not "sisterhood" thing, she was an exotic beauty, she looked beautiful to me, why do you think Elvis was so fine?

Latte
11-11-2007, 05:45 PM
It is a complete myth a myth usually promulgated by angry feminists.

hmmm, looks like a case of:

"Bitter, party of one. your tables ready" :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

SleepyJack
11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Not neccessarily a theory I agree fully with but it is often said that Vernon always felt like a bit of an "outsider" in the family and that he couldn`t break into to the little world that Gladys and Elvis inhabited....So maybe it isn`t as black and white as it seems......that said though..My gut feeling on Vernon has usually been that he was "a typical male"....and they do exist!
Oh yeah,for what it`s worth I thought Gladys was pretty when she was younger, her mother was gorgeous too!........

riley
11-11-2007, 05:55 PM
you have a pic of her mother????

SleepyJack
11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a picture of her and her husband Bob on their wedding day in 1903.......how do I attach it to the reply?

presley31
11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
yes l would like to see a pic of gladys and vernon parents.

Miss Clawdy
11-11-2007, 06:26 PM
From a female point of view... if I had to choose between Gladys and Dee it would be Gladys a 100 times :D

In this picture I think she looks very pretty, she reminds me a little of Jodie Foster :D

Diane
11-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes, I like that picture of Gladys too...and there's Elvis's eyes only in brown.:D

Thanks for posting Tina

Diane

presley31
11-11-2007, 06:32 PM
first pic is Bob and Doll smith- elvis maternal grandparents

Gladys uncle

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
One thing to remember is that Vernon and Gladys spawned quite possibly one of the most handsome males ever born......... so there must of been something in the genes.

As for Gladys she like all of us looked better in youth (y)

Diane
11-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I see a lot of Elvis in the younger picture of Bob Smith.:D

Thanks for posting Jen.

Diane

presley31
11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.lmpsoreal.shabbykat.com/index111.html

here is a some more pics of vernon and gladys

LORRIELOVESELVIS
11-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Dee was just------ [TRASHY]-----(n)
Love the pics!(y)

Diane
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for posting the link Jen, lots of good pictures there.(y)

Diane

Miss Clawdy
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
One thing to remember is that Vernon and Gladys spawned quite possibly one of the most handsome males ever born......... so there must of been something in the genes.

No doubt about it! (y):D

and alas...no doubt about it ;)

Dorothy
11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Gladys' parents are very attractive. Doll looks very tiny. I heard somewhere that she was bedridden most of her life. But then, I would be to if I'd had, what, 9 kids!!

Did Elvis know these grandparents?

Did he know Vernon's dad? Or had all these people already passed on?

I think Gladys was a nice looking woman when she was younger. Not a beauty, but not bad. Besides, I heard that she was a lot of fun. Looks aren't everything.

I like photos of her when she is smiling too. Don't see too many. Maybe cause she didn't feel well or she was sick with worry about Elvis. Poor lady....Elvis' fame must have taken a toll on her.

ksimms2
11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
according to "Revelations of MM" Dee originally wanted to meet Elvis to "talk to someone else from the states" and when Elvis found out who her husband was - he sent his dad in his place......so I'd say yes....Dee originally wanted to meet Elvis....and I don't believe for a second her reasons were pure. I think she hooked up with Vernon just to get into Elvis' inner circle....now what happened after she did I couldn't say - but I know Elvis never liked her at all.

MissyM
11-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Well looks aside, Gladys may have been a spitfire at times but she was a beautiful women inside. She just was very strong and if you riled her, she let you know. But for the most part she was a kind gentle women with a huge heart.(on the other hand Dee??? quite the opposite)

Dorothy
11-11-2007, 11:08 PM
according to "Revelations of MM" Dee originally wanted to meet Elvis to "talk to someone else from the states" and when Elvis found out who her husband was - he sent his dad in his place......so I'd say yes....Dee originally wanted to meet Elvis....and I don't believe for a second her reasons were pure. I think she hooked up with Vernon just to get into Elvis' inner circle....now what happened after she did I couldn't say - but I know Elvis never liked her at all.

I've heard this also.....she wanted Elvis.....he wasn't interested, so she went after Vernon.
I've also heard that she attacked him one time in the kitchen at Graceland.....but Elvis set her straight real quick. I don't know for sure if this actually happened......anybody else?

Right....Elvis avoided her as much as he could.

rhythmknights
11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I never understood it myself. I think he was a player like Elvis was. First of all, Elvis' feelings got hurt. It was only a year or less after Gladys had died. He never held it agiast her sons. He would say, it's not their fault.
Other than that, they took over the security after Elvis had Red, Sonny and Dave let go. It was just to teach them a lesson. He was going to bring them back. They took care of Elvis,
we see where putting The Stanley boys in charge of security got Elvis, just over a year later. They should've been watching him. Sonny or Red would sleep near by or in the bedroom with him sometimes but these guys were just messing around doing their drugs, letting people in the house that wearen't suppose to be there.

:lmfao: shouldn't we say that Elvis was a player just like his dad? Esp. if we are saying that Vernon cheated on Gladys? No wonder she was sad. And I read in Bobby Mason's(?) book that Gladys was one sexy lady in her day, that she was the queen of dirty dancing - something called lock out? I forget.

Dorothy
11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Well looks aside, Gladys may have been a spitfire at times but she was a beautiful women inside. She just was very strong and if you riled her, she let you know. But for the most part she was a kind gentle women with a huge heart.(on the other hand Dee??? quite the opposite)

Anything I've ever heard about Gladys makes me wish I could have met her.
She sounds like my kind of people.

Dee is not even worth discussing! Evil woman! :angry:
Is she still alive?

Dorothy
11-11-2007, 11:22 PM
:lmfao: shouldn't we say that Elvis was a player just like his dad? Esp. if we are saying that Vernon cheated on Gladys? No wonder she was sad. And I read in Bobby Mason's(?) book that Gladys was one sexy lady in her day, that she was the queen of dirty dancing - something called lock out? I forget.

Lock out? Was that a dance? I've never heard of it. I think Gladys was around my mothers age. The dances they did.....were, waltz, foxtrot, polka, jitterbug, that's all I can think of at the moment.

rhythmknights
11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Lock out? Was that a dance? I've never heard of it. I think Gladys was around my mothers age. The dances they did.....were, waltz, foxtrot, polka, jitterbug, that's all I can think of at the moment.

I don't remember, it's been awile since i read her book. from her description it was very sexy and she would throw her hips into the dance - i do remember she used the word 'lock' because i remember thinking oh yeah - pop & lock! the author also stated that once Elvis went on to become famous for his kind of dancing, neighbors from the old Tupelo neighborhood began to smile that the apple didn't fall to far from t he tree!

utmom2008
11-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Read "Down At the End of Lonely Street"....it talks about Gladys being well known for her wild and sensual dancing. It gives the reader the idea that on Saturday night people would come to these country dances to watch Gladys. It also tells that Gladys would wait up on Vernon and when he would come in drunk and had been out chasing women that Gladys would beam him upside the head with a rolling pin. :lol: :lol:

ksimms2
11-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Missy's original question: What WAS Vernon thinking? How about "a piece of ***" pretty much is what he was thinkin' don't ya think? ;) Why he married her I'll never know though...he could've had the other without marrying her.....

Dorothy
11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't remember, it's been awile since i read her book. from her description it was very sexy and she would throw her hips into the dance - i do remember she used the word 'lock' because i remember thinking oh yeah - pop & lock! the author also stated that once Elvis went on to become famous for his kind of dancing, neighbors from the old Tupelo neighborhood began to smile that the apple didn't fall to far from t he tree!

That's cute.....I can just see Gladys dancing like Elvis!! :lmfao:

Dorothy
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Read "Down At the End of Lonely Street"....it talks about Gladys being well known for her wild and sensual dancing. It gives the reader the idea that on Saturday night people would come to these country dances to watch Gladys. It also tells that Gladys would wait up on Vernon and when he would come in drunk and had been out chasing women that Gladys would beam him upside the head with a rolling pin. :lol: :lol:

Hooray for Gladys!! :clap: Sounds like my mom!!

rhythmknights
11-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Well looks aside, Gladys may have been a spitfire at times but she was a beautiful woman inside. She just was very strong and if you riled her, she let you know. But for the most part she was a kind gentle women with a huge heart.(on the other hand Dee??? quite the opposite)

Elvis' girlfriends who knew Gladys all had only kind things to say about her, and i was reading some of his classmates thoughts on Elvis, those classmates that worked with Gladys at the hospital just raved about how kind, caring and gentle she was.

Suzan
11-12-2007, 03:33 AM
I thought Dee was rather plain and now just ugly, beauty is not just the physical, you have to have something inside, you can be drop dead gorgeous and be ugly, you know what I mean?

I think what made Gladys beautiful, was her inner self. :) And like Riley said, they didn't have the money to make themselves look good, the hard life she led, showed on Gladys.:(....Dee had the money and still couldn't buy the class she so desperately wanted.

I to think she wanted Elvis more then she wanted Vernon and I do think she was jealous of Pris..

I've heard things from people that knew her as well, and it makes my skin crawl.:(

I thoroughly loved the posts from utmom, jumpsuitjunkie and Diane, and the rest were quite great to read as well.(y)

Getlo
11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Gladys would beam him upside the head with a rolling pin. :lol: :lol:

Ah, yes: domestic violence.

Hilarious.

(n)

Suzan
11-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Ah, yes: domestic violence.

Hilarious.

(n)

K missed that one...
I've read that Vernon was abusive toward Gladys as well, he'd wait til she wasn't herself to retaliate and I read someplace that she once threw a pot of beans at him. Elvis would have to break it up at times and apparently told Vernon to not lay a hand on her ever again.
How much of this is true I've no idea, I hope none of it. People have tempers and back then nobody knew of domestic violence...my father in law who is 72 now tells stories of back then and it just boggles my mind what they considered "normal".

riley
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Gladys was very thin and indeed a bit Jodie Foster type.

I think indeed she was quite some lady in her younger days...

Good at dancing (Elvis had the rhytm in him from his mother)

Poverty makes people change in looks and in behaviour and I think that drinking in those days was a common thing...

We can't even imagine I guess how life was back in those days.

Jen , thanks for posting those pics of his maternal grandparents.
Esp the man was beautiful IMO.
Dark features

MissyM
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I know times have change alot. Those people were scrappers/brawlers. The whole family not just them.

Suzan
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I know times have change alot. Those people were scrappers/brawlers. The whole family not just them.

I've read that and that they liked to drink, but shoot that last part is prelevent in today's society as well.
I didn't want to say she drank because, well, I just didn't. But yeah that's what I read and heard.

Diane
11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Do any of you think that possibly the drinking and brawling might have had something to do with frustration over the poverty they had to endure? A lot of people even today turn to alcohol to numb themselves from what is hard for them to face.

So you see Elvis had this in his background from the time he was born. He found his own way to "numb" himself in what he thought was "safe" prescriptions while being against alcohol and street drugs. In spite of what some think, one's background and upbringing often brings out some unconscious traits throughout adulthood.

He was lucky Dee hadn't been his mother. Can you imagine what horrendous scandals there would have been had one of them gotten famous like Elvis....:'(

Diane

Suzan
11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Do any of you think that possibly the drinking and brawling might have had something to do with frustration over the poverty they had to endure? A lot of people even today turn to alcohol to numb themselves from what is hard for them to face.

So you see Elvis had this in his background from the time he was born. He found his own way to "numb" himself in what he thought was "safe" prescriptions while being against alcohol and street drugs. In spite of what some think, one's background and upbringing often brings out some unconscious traits throughout adulthood.

Diane

I agree that's what I meant when I said it's prevelant in today's society as well, I just didn't go as deep as you did. :D:D:D:D But I totally agree w/you on all point. (y)

Gary1
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM

Excellent Post Diane.(y)

presley31
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

He was lucky Dee hadn't been his mother. Can you imagine what horrendous scandals there would have been had one of them gotten famous like Elvis....:'(

Diane

yep diane you really hit home with that reply(y)(y)

utmom2008
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
K missed that one...
I've read that Vernon was abusive toward Gladys as well, he'd wait til she wasn't herself to retaliate and I read someplace that she once threw a pot of beans at him. Elvis would have to break it up at times and apparently told Vernon to not lay a hand on her ever again.
How much of this is true I've no idea, I hope none of it. People have tempers and back then nobody knew of domestic violence...my father in law who is 72 now tells stories of back then and it just boggles my mind what they considered "normal".
I have read the same thing Suzan. Apparently, Elvis finally had enough and told Vernon not to ever lay a hand on her again. People need to remember that back in the 30's in the rural south that was not unusual at all. If you threw the term "domestic violence" at them they would tell you to take a hike. We have OJ Simpson to thank for really bringing it to the spotlight. But....OJ is a whole other thread, and I don't want to get my blood pressure up right now.............

utmom2008
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM

There is an old saying "that women fall in love with their ears....men fall in love with their eyes". :hmm: :hmm:

utmom2008
11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.lmpsoreal.shabbykat.com/index111.html

here is a some more pics of vernon and gladys
Great Pics Jen (y) Thank you for posting! (y)

utmom2008
11-12-2007, 05:47 PM

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)