PDA

View Full Version : Where Elvis Lived

MissyM
11-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Pricilla seemed to prefer the California life better than Memphis. I wonder why. Was it to get Elvis away from the Memphis environment? She really wanted to be best buds with Joe and wife. But my main question would be, aside from being a southerner and liking that, why was Elvis so opposed to a permanent move there. He must have liked it there, cause he did spend plenty of time there. I've heard bit and peices about this but don't have the big picture I think. I wonder if moving out to Cali. would have been better for his marriage.

Suzan
11-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Pricilla seemed to prefer the California life better than Memphis. I wonder why. Was it to get Elvis away from the Memphis environment? She really wanted to be best buds with Joe and wife. But my main question would be, aside from being a southerner and liking that, why was Elvis so opposed to a permanent move there. He must have liked it there, cause he did spend plenty of time there. I've heard bit and peices about this but don't have the big picture I think. I wonder if moving out to Cali. would have been better for his marriage.

Great ?....
They did own two houses in Cali...after marriage and he rented prior to...
I think she liked the California lifestyle, she I think from how she speaks of it, was quite taken w/the whole celeb atmosphere and the houses in Bel Air and Beverly Hills. As much as she says that she dislikes L.A. she could have moved anywhere in the world but chose to stay here, she claims due to jobs, etc...but plenty of celebs live outside Cali and still manage to have quite a great "Hollywood" career.
As recent as her interview w/"Memphis" magazine, she was quite keen on showing the interviewer around Beverly Hills and Bel Air, etc...
I thought they spent quite a lot of time in California as a married couple, espescially after the birth of Lisa, Lisa's first L.A. home was Elvis Hillcrest house.
So I don't think that was the issue w/their marriage, but who knows. I think she made issues where maybe there weren't any, and he didn't help matters at times, but I have said all I think on the topic of their marriage and Prissy on other threads LOL.
I don't think she liked Memphis because, how do I phrase this?....she didn't find it "sophisticated" enough maybe? Maybe she felt it didn't have the glitz and glamour?

MissyM
11-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Good points about the glitz and glamour. Maybe she thought that anyone who is anyone lives in California?

cameron
11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't know Priscilla well enough to say much on this.
I do think she liked the Califonia life style better than living in Memphis.
I believe Elvis liked having Graceland to "come home to." He could just be himself and drop all the BS of trying to preserve "his image."
It seems Priscilla enjoyed being in the midst of VIP's much more than he did.
Who knows?? Don't really think anything would have helped their marriage there anymore than living in Memphis, though .
All the "guys" were there too it seems.. Would be tough to make a marriage
work anywhere with all of them living together.

Suzan
11-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Good points about the glitz and glamour. Maybe she thought that anyone who is anyone lives in California?

Quite possibly...

It seems Priscilla enjoyed being in the midst of VIP's much more than he did.

I have to agree w/that statement.

Rover
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't know if Memphis was like it seems to be today, but it feels like the whole town is dedicated to one man...the studios, etc
Maybe Elvis liked that, and didn't want to live in California where he would have been one star among others.

Diane
11-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think the "star" thing had anything to do with Elvis' love for Graceland. It was simply "home" familiar and secure and that's what Elvis craved.

Diane

MissyM
11-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Well I agree with the "home" feeling he desired.

presley31
11-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I guess once priscilla got a taste of California she wanted to live there but lisa says she didn't like it there either but she's still living there like her mother, so who knows.