PDA

View Full Version : Original Nativity set for sale.

presley31
11-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Original Nativity set for sale.

The original Nativity set that was used at Graceland, beginning with the 1965 Christmas season, is now for sale on eBay.

The seller, Med Phipps, is the son of the late Hardy Phipps, a local Memphis artist who contracted to provide the annual Christmas scene at Graceland until the early 1990’s. Hardy created this handmade, hand-painted fiberglass nativity scene for Elvis and Priscilla to display at Graceland in the 1960’s.

The stable was later upgraded and enlarged. As a young man, the current seller helped his father set up the scene each year. The set includes

• Mother Mary

• Joseph

• Three kneeling wise men

• One standing shepherd

• One angel

• One calf’s head

• Three-piece stable

eBay

2007/11/10 Ebay - www.elvismatters.be / www.epgold.com

Suzan
11-11-2007, 05:20 AM
LOL wow how'd they accomplish that when the original is at Graceland? Except for the roof, that was changed by Elvis a few years later, and the original is in storage.:D
This has been on sale b4 on ebay except last time they listed it as "same as seen @ Graceland".:D
Beware, not everything on ebay is on the up & up.:D

riley
11-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I was thinking exactly the same...

cameron
11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't exactly trust ebay myself.
IF this were "for real" and IF I had the money, I'd buy it.
Would look good in my front yard .(y)

Suzan
11-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I was thinking exactly the same...

(y)
And unless I'm missing it, no proof or signed letter of authenticity, though I've heard from an atty. friend of mine, that that's not always on up and up either, apparently it's quite easy to replicate an authenticity letter.

cameron
11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
From a business point of view; I've found just about anything can be "authenticated" . On closer inspection, things aren't always as claimed, but turn out to be "doctored."

elvislady
11-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I would not trust anyone unless i went to graceland myself and bought it from there.(n)
elvislady

Suzan
11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Elvislady, well said and I agree, :D or if it came directly from their vaults, such as the auction a few years back.:) Or something that could be shown to be true, like things Ginger sold, etc...

I worked for 15 yrs. as a paralegal at a few law firms here in So. CA and it is unbelievable what people will attempt.

Fire-Eyes
11-11-2007, 12:03 PM
so, what are they gonna sell next? bricks from the mansion itself? :blink:

Suzan
11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
so, what are they gonna sell next? bricks from the mansion itself? :blink:

LOL, no, but someone will come up w/limestone bricks and claim they came from Graceland and some poor person who thinks the seller is on up and up will buy it.:(

Gary1
11-11-2007, 02:54 PM
On Elvis Insiders EPE has posted this ''The set has evolved with repaires and upgrades etc over the years'' So as someone else posted this set that is for sale is probably from previous sets.

elvislady
11-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi Elvislady, well said and I agree, :D or if it came directly from their vaults, such as the auction a few years back.:) Or something that could be shown to be true, like things Ginger sold, etc...

I worked for 15 yrs. as a paralegal at a few law firms here in So. CA and it is unbelievable what people will attempt.

Hi susan you must have heard some stories. lol
elvislady:D

presley31
11-11-2007, 04:41 PM
On Elvis Insiders EPE has posted this ''The set has evolved with repaires and upgrades etc over the years'' So as someone else posted this set that is for sale is probably from previous sets.

Thanks for the update gary.

LORRIELOVESELVIS
11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
When I Was Little Girl Growing Up In Memphis We Would Drive Around, The Local Neighourhood An Down To Graceland An Look At Xmas Lights, The House An The Nativity Set. It Was Pretty When We Would Get Snow In Memphis. LoL Lovin Elvis Presley!!!!!

franny
11-12-2007, 03:15 AM
EIN posted this:

The auction was a success with the set selling for US$5,000.00.

Suzan
11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
EIN posted this:

That's a lot to pay for something not owned by Elvis.:(

I heard as well that it evolved, etc...but that Graceland kept the original, actually they said what evolved was the roof of the manger...nothing else, and if you look at pics the statutes are the same. I'll have to find where in one of the Graceland guidebooks it says that and elsewhere where I've read it.

Thanks franny! (y)

presley31
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
EIN posted this:

Thanks franny l would of bought if l was rich.