PDA

View Full Version : Did Elvis smoke ?

Burning_Love
11-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I was wondering : Did Elvis smoke ? I wonder this because i found a picture with him with a cigarette. I know he smoked cigars.

I once heard he said he never would smoke, now don't quote me in that..i only heard it.

So does anyone have any facts on this ??

(please no arguments :D)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/danielle_o_2006/405.jpg

Rising Sun
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure either Danielle....I know he smoked quite a lot of cigars in the 60s and early 70s....but somewhere I read he quit smoking later :hmm:
I saw some pics of him smoking cigarettes too, but don't know if he used to smoke them often....:hmm:
Sorry I can't give you any more information...I hope someone knows more about this...

*LittleSister1981*
11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I was actually wondering the same....Hmmm,I've seen pics of him holding a cigarette,look at this gif 4 example....Looks like he did sometimes:D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/Liberian_Girl24/elvis32zs.gif

Burning_Love
11-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I heard that he would never touch a cigarette. Is this true ? Because there s even footage of him smoking, on This Is Elvis.

Thanks for your reply Linda.
And Marta, glad you was thinking the same, and thanks for sharing them GIFS. :D

marijaep
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
lol, good question.
I've read him saying that he wouldn't ever smoke or drink. The thing with the drinking it's true, but this one with the smoking...I'm not so sure.
I've seen him with cigarettes on pictures too, but Danielle I think we was smoking only "occasionally", not regularly. So, smoker would be someone who smokes regularly...And from what I've heard and read Elvis wasn't one :D

Here's one pic and I am not sure what he is doing on it.
I can't see a cigarette either :hmm: It doesn't look like one lol
Sorry for posting it here, but I am very curious.

:hug:

Marija

Burning_Love
11-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Aahhhh...Marija you make an excellent point ! I never thought of that before.

And thanks for the pic...what is he doing ? Lol :D

marijaep
11-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Aahhhh...Marija you make an excellent point ! I never thought of that before.

And thanks for the pic...what is he doing ? Lol :D

:D Thanks :hug:...It's because I have gone through the same question over and over again....in my head :lol:

I have no idea what he is doing...:blink: lol. Anyone? lol

Gary1
11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I was actually wondering the same....Hmmm,I've seen pics of him holding a cigarette,look at this gif 4 example....Looks like he did sometimes:D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/Liberian_Girl24/elvis32zs.gifThat is a cigar he is smoking in this gif.

Burning_Love
11-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Lol...so i'm not the only one ?? Good :D:D:D
lol...tis a confusing picture !

*LittleSister1981*
11-07-2007, 08:33 PM
That is a cigar he is smoking in this gif.

Yeah,u're right there,sorry my mistake :blush:

Danny Ocean
11-07-2007, 08:37 PM
In the fifties and sixties he smoked cigarettes, sometimes a cigar. In the late '60's he began to smoke cigars till 1977 he did that. But sometimes people around him offered him a cigarette.. and sometimes he took that.. But that was very rare

poormansgold
11-07-2007, 08:37 PM
there little Cigars Are In Cigetettes size, I used To smoke them and cigars too , there times I have few them once of year Too keep me go nuts, lol

*LittleSister1981*
11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
lol, good question.
I've read him saying that he wouldn't ever smoke or drink. The thing with the drinking it's true, but this one with the smoking...I'm not so sure.
I've seen him with cigarettes on pictures too, but Danielle I think we was smoking only "occasionally", not regularly. So, smoker would be someone who smokes regularly...And from what I've heard and read Elvis wasn't one :D

Marija

That's right,he wasn't a regular smoker,that's for sure and that pic is really confusing...:lol:

Supertigre
11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Its hard to imagine him not smoking as everyone smoked back then.I think the main reason he may have not smoked or given it up is he didn't want it to change his voice.I'll bet you as a teenager he dabbled in it and I'm supprised he didn't in the army.

elvis himselvis
11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
As Marija said he stated he wouldn't ever smoked or drink,but that's not true.he did said this,but he didn't do it...
I heard he smoked cigarettes sometimes and did smoke cigars,and for his drinking...he drank but not much and not often

ksimms2
11-07-2007, 08:52 PM
lol, good question.

Marija

I think in this pic he was getting ready to blow a kiss......:king:

marijaep
11-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I think in this pic he was getting ready to blow a kiss......:king:

I hope so :lol:
:clap: - Ok, it really could be, you may be right Kelly :D

presley31
11-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I think elvis did smoke and like to drink every blue moon( which doesn't come to often)
He liked cigars, but l did read elvis enjoyed a smoke now and than but hid it from the fans cause he didn't want them thinking different of him.

Diane
11-07-2007, 09:23 PM
He had to keep up that "clean boy" image the Colonel put out on him....but, he seemed to give that up later on....good for him....who could live up to it?:)

Diane

cprimm
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
If you go back to Larry King's interview with Priscilla on August 16, 2007, at Graceland

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0708/19/lkl.01.html

about 3/4ths down the page:

"KING: We have a cigarette case here, too.

P. PRESLEY: We have a cigarette holder. This is one of the first presents that I actually got him in 1962 for Christmas.

KING: Did he smoke?

P. PRESLEY: Yes, he smoked. Listen to the song. Does it still work? I don't think it's on. It used to work. What happened? Ah.

(MUSIC PLAYING, "SURRENDER")

P. PRESLEY: Do you hear the song? Do you know it? Does it ring a bell? "Surrender."

KING: "Surrender," yes.

P. PRESLEY: That's the song. I found this cigarette box with that song on it and he sung it."

Unchained Melody
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I know I read somewhere that one day in mid '75 Elvis and the guys were sitting around doing nothing..apparently Elvis had been really bored so he decided to get totally wasted..so he did drink but not regularly. As for the smoking, Elvis liked those thin cigars and theres many photo's out there and some footage that shows him smoking them..especially in the later 70's.

GirlHappy19
11-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a few pictures of elvis smoking--i think he looked kool smoking cigars:lol:

Unchained Melody
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
So do I!(y)

malc07
11-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I read once that he never liked having his pic taken when he had a cigarillos,if thats the right way to spell it.because he thought it was bad for his image.I cant remember where I read it now.it escapes me.but when I find it I will let ya know.it also said that he never liked cigarettes.but how true that is i am not sure,its only what I read...if this helps

Unchained Melody
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think Elvis was big on smoking cigarettes..I've seen a couple of photo's of him smoking them but I don't think it was a regular thing.

Stryx
11-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Elvis smoked cigs in the 50's and 60's and cigars in the late 60's and 70's.

He smoked Tareyton cigs.

Elvis smoked nearly a pack a day at one stage (cigs)

Some of the MM gave up in 69'.

Joe E didn't....don't know if he has since, but I suspect he has given up.

It's rubbish that Elvis didn't smoke.

He didn't like women who smoked though.

Unchained Melody
11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
The fact that Elvis smoked don't change how I feel about him at all. He was a grown man for crying out loud :lol:(y)

Stryx
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Exactly.

I don't understand why some people feel they have to become apologists for his actions or try and deny he did certain things.

Especially when its so visible he did smoke!

Unchained Melody
11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Exactly.

I don't understand why some people feel they have to become apologists for his actions or try and deny he did certain things.

Especially when its so visible he did smoke!

Completley agreed with everything said my friend!:notworthy

MojoElvis
11-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I spoke to Marty Lacker about this once a long time ago and did tell me that, Elvis used to smoke cigarettes and cigars in his private life but not in public. He later switched to cigars only.

Getlo
11-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Elvis smoked cigarettes (intermittently) well into the 70s.

From Myrna Smith:

"He didn't smoke or drink, but he would, when he did smoke, he smoked the same brand that I did, Tarryton. And, he could smoke that whole pack in an hour and then if he poured himself a drink, he could drink that whole bottle."

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_myrna_smith.shtml

Still waiting for that post-1975 cigar pic, by the way ...

Awickedreigndrop
11-08-2007, 06:36 AM

From Myrna Smith:

"He didn't smoke or drink, but he would, when he did smoke, he smoked the same brand that I did, Tarryton. And, he could smoke that whole pack in an hour and then if he poured himself a drink, he could drink that whole bottle."

Wow Thanks for that info Getlo! :clap:

On "Elvis: His Best Friend Remembers". Joe E. said that he smoked Cigarillos. Also, I seen a picture of him with a pipe hanging out of his mouth. I don't remember if I seen it on the Tcb galleries or else where. :hmm:

Suzan
11-08-2007, 06:38 AM
I heard he smoked, but not regularly and that a pack of cigarettes had to always be @ Graceland or his other residences.
I have an old 1950's pic w/him smoking, plus the footage from EBTP.
I was told he preferred cigars but would sometimes light up a cigarette.

elvis himselvis
11-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I heard he smoked, but not regularly and that a pack of cigarettes had to always be @ Graceland or his other residences.
I have an old 1950's pic w/him smoking, plus the footage from EBTP.
I was told he preferred cigars but would sometimes light up a cigarette.

On which chapter you can see him smoke???
I like to see it myself;)

elvis himselvis
11-08-2007, 08:19 AM

From Myrna Smith:

I've read this interview too,very strange that he just could smoke the whole pack and then just stop for a long time...the same for drinking...very strange but also good for your health(y):lol:

Suzan
11-08-2007, 08:31 AM
On which chapter you can see him smoke???
I like to see it myself;)

I'll have to pop the dvd in, but it's the scene where they are getting off the bus to horse around, Cilla is holding the video camera and Elvis is doing the karate thing on the guys, he's got a cigarette in his mouth.
In the book, Unseen Elvis, there is a shot of him from the '50's, he's at the piano and has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
In one of the books, I have a lot, so I don't remember which one, I'd have to go thru all of them, but there is a list of stuff the staff needed to keep @ Graceland @ all times and a pack of cigarettes is on that list (I don't remember the brand) but the one Myrna mentions doesn't ring a bell.

elvis himselvis
11-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll have to pop the dvd in, but it's the scene where they are getting off the bus to horse around, Cilla is holding the video camera and Elvis is doing the karate thing on the guys, he's got a cigarette in his mouth.
In the book, Unseen Elvis, there is a shot of him from the '50's, he's at the piano and has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
In one of the books, I have a lot, so I don't remember which one, I'd have to go thru all of them, but there is a list of stuff the staff needed to keep @ Graceland @ all times and a pack of cigarettes is on that list (I don't remember the brand) but the one Myrna mentions doesn't ring a bell.

thanks for your reply,but the scene you are talking about isn't a cigarette
but a cigar;)

elvis himselvis
11-08-2007, 09:15 AM
My question is,did he smoked until he died,or did he only smoked cigarettes in the 50's and 60's?or did he sometimes smoked them in the 70's?

Getlo
11-08-2007, 11:09 AM
My question is,did he smoked until he died,or did he only smoked cigarettes in the 50's and 60's?or did he sometimes smoked them in the 70's?

No, the cigarettes are like the cigars he stopped all that crap in late '75 or early '76 at the latest.

COL DRIES
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I Hope He Did It All , Long Live The King !

marijaep
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Found this one...........:D It looks like a cigarette to me :D

Getlo
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

That would be a cigar ...

kellyelvis
11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I think he smiked the cigars etc but i dont think it wasl ike a proper tobacco addict. like 20 a day thing. It seems it was more for special occasions or when he relaxed he smoked.

kellyelvis
11-08-2007, 01:54 PM
ooops smoked* lol sorry for bad spelling

presley31
11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I think elvis smoked both cigs and smokes.

elvis himselvis
11-08-2007, 02:12 PM

No,it's a cigar Marija
Haven't seen you in a while great to see you again;)

Burning_Love
11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
BradM and Stryx : Nobody said they would hate Elvis if he smoked ??
This is simply a thread, asking a question. I just wanted to know.

Suzan
11-08-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks for your reply,but the scene you are talking about isn't a cigarette
but a cigar;)

Your welcome.:D
It is? well dang now I will def pop it in and take a look.:)
But yes there are photos of him (the one I already mentioned) of him smoking cigarettes.
I don't know if he smoked til the end, I've never asked...
:D Col Dries.

marijaep
11-08-2007, 10:27 PM
That would be a cigar ...

Ok then :D:D:D

marijaep
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
No,it's a cigar Marija
Haven't seen you in a while great to see you again;)

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, great to see you too! :clap::hug:

Unchained Melody
11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
BradM and Stryx : Nobody said they would hate Elvis if he smoked ??
This is simply a thread, asking a question. I just wanted to know.

I get this.;)

But in many cases when subjects like this pop up many try to make excuses or deny things that Elvis did. Just like Stryx stated. The fact is yes, Elvis smoked, and I'm sure at one point in his life drank also..

Suzan
11-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I get this.;)

But in many cases when subjects like this pop up many try to make excuses or deny things that Elvis did. Just like Stryx stated. The fact is yes, Elvis smoked, and I'm sure at one point in his life drank also..

I agree! :D
K I will scan the pic of him smoking cigarette and see if it will allow me to upload.:D

Unchained Melody
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Look forward to seeing your photo Suzan!;)

Burning_Love
11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
BradM...I don't think anyone has yet though ? They are just stating what they have heard/read :D:D

Look foward to seeing the photo suzan !

Suzan
11-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Here you go.:D:D:D:D:D
I just scanned the closeup of his face, but I can scan the whole pic if you guys want? He's not playing piano, my error, looks like bongo drums or something. :D

Unchained Melody
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Yep I've seen this before..thank you for sharing it with us Suzan..;)

Now I know for sure that there is a ciggarette:lol::P

Burning_Love
11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Ahhh thanks Suzan, great pic !
Yeah i too have seen it, something like the bongos he is playing :D
Thanks for sharing..

Oh yeah, i read in a book once that Elvis sometimes just used to walk around with a cigarette in his mouth - not smoking it (in the 50's). Perhaps it was just part of his style.

Suzan
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
LOL your both very welcome!:D:D:D:D:D LOL yeah huh...cigarette.:D

11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
The King did indeed smoke!

Suzan
11-09-2007, 05:55 AM

Yeah, I thought it was a well known fact?????? I'm still hunting for the list of things that always had to be kept on hand @ Graceland lol

Getlo
11-09-2007, 06:19 AM

Yes. During the Blue Hawaii session outtakes, he mentions hearing his "packet of cigarettes" rattling on the speaker or somewhere ...

Suzan
11-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Yes. During the Blue Hawaii session outtakes, he mentions hearing his "packet of cigarettes" rattling on the speaker or somewhere ...

OMG I forgot about that! Good one!:D(y)

elvis himselvis
11-09-2007, 09:39 AM

thanks for the info Getlo...and you good luck with searching Suzan;)
I would love to see the list(y)
:king:

marijaep
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a well known fact?????? I'm still hunting for the list of things that always had to be kept on hand @ Graceland lol

Nice pic Suzan, thanks for sharing :hug::D

Happy hunting lol :lol:(y)

cameron
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't said much about this. Maybe because I just don't care . I was at a restaurant a few years ago {laws were just started about No Smoking in same} . On the wall was a picture of Elvis smoking . Needless to say I was surprised .
I HAD to ask about that picture as I knew nothing about Elvis smoking then.
I was assured that indeed he did smoke. Not shocked; just first I'd heard about it.
We learn something new everyday ...even when we think we know it all.;)

Burning_Love
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Exactly Cameron.
Hey, what was the picture like ?

cameron
11-09-2007, 10:17 PM
It was one in a suit with a ciggarillo hanging out of his mouth ...
He looked cool.....(y)

Burning_Love
11-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Cool :cool:

Suzan
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Nice pic Suzan, thanks for sharing :hug::D

Happy hunting lol :lol:(y)

Your very welcome!:D:D:D:D:D
Still hunting rof

I just thought w/Elvis fans, there wasn't much that we didn't know, am surprised that some didn't know this. ;)

samiam125
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
On this subject someone may be able to help.. but yesterday I was listening to disc 2 of "Viva Las Vegas" CD set and when he is singing memories I am sure that I heard him say "I want a smoke".. this is just after the line "Memories pressed between the pages of my mind".. about 18 seconds into the track.

Has anyone else heard it and if so, is that what he is saying?

This is the CD that I was listening to

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/review_viva_las_vegas_cd.shtml

Getlo
11-10-2007, 12:20 AM
On this subject someone may be able to help.. but yesterday I was listening to disc 2 of "Viva Las Vegas" CD set and when he is singing memories I am sure that I heard him say "I want a smoke".. this is just after the line "Memories pressed between the pages of my mind".. about 18 seconds into the track. Has anyone else heard it and if so, is that what he is saying?

No, as he's talking, he's looking out into the audience and spots some cigarette smoke in the lights.

"Wassthat? Oh ... smoke", he says.

Nothing more than that.

samiam125
11-10-2007, 12:34 AM
No, as he's talking, he's looking out into the audience and spots some cigarette smoke in the lights.

Nothing more than that.

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't make it out for sure when I was listening to it.

Thanks

Suzan
11-10-2007, 12:34 AM

Nothing more than that.

Thank you Getlo!(y)
Your like a vault of info, LOVING it! :hug::clap: Thanks!:notworthy

TC_of_EAP
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM

Marija

He's blowing a kiss ! I remember seeing the newsreel (I think so at least) ages ago !!!!

marijaep
11-10-2007, 11:15 AM
He's blowing a kiss ! I remember seeing the newsreel (I think so at least) ages ago !!!!

Ok, thanks for clearing it up :D(y)

SleepyJack
11-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Reckon Elvis "played" at smoking!......More for the look of it than anything else...doubt he was ever in danger of becoming a regular smoker.

ms_epblvd
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Elvis was a ceeeeegar smoker. Ciggies dont think he touched. He did smoke the skinny cigars that looked like cigarettes. :blink:

Diane
11-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I did read that he smoked Tareytons at one time and there are several photos of the 50's and 60's in which you can see that he is smoking a cigarette. I don't know the brand of cigarillos that he liked though.

Diane

Cliff
11-11-2007, 12:19 AM
If you look for a still pic of Elvis leaning over Ann Margaret's sports car and checking under the hood, you can see a pack of Salem in the top pocket of his cover alls.
Could be a clue.

Unchained Melody
11-12-2007, 12:49 AM

Nothing more than that.

Yes, I was watching Adrenaline '70 just a while ago and it was playing the dialoge from that '69 concerts..and you can hear Elvis say that a few times..