PDA

View Full Version : Elvis autograph contest

senadw124
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I've found this at my school today, on the table. It looks like someone likes to write Elvis' autograph on it. Think it looks pretty original :D

Johnny
09-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I, for at least one, ain't going to tell why I know this autograph is a fake - just to make sure it doesn't pop up on various vinyls on eBay as an authentic one [p.s. (and I'm writing this by memory) the original post was about whether we thought this autograph was real or not, and if not - why we were thinking that, and whether we would belive it was Elvis' autograph if we saw it on an vinyl]

BrianK
09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
After years of study, I finally have 2 autographs that I feel are real EPs. I got burned years ago to the tune of $1250 for fake Elvis autograph sold to me by Paul Lechter of the "Original Elvis Fan Club". Soured me for quite a while until I read the books out there on how to identify a real EP signature. Watch out because EP signature is massively & easily faked.

elvisfan.77
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
i know that it cant be real but, whoever did it does it pretty good...mail me and tell me what school you go to b/c i do alot of those...i probably do average about 15 of those a day at my school...im pretty good! toot toot...lol!:):):):)

Getlo
09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
I got burned years ago to the tune of $1250 for fake Elvis autograph sold to me by Paul Lechter of the "Original Elvis Fan Club".

Paul Lichter is the greatest conman in the Elvis world. Do not, under any circumstances, but anything from him! :angry:

His "personal" Elvis items are mostly fake, and all of his autographs fall into this category. And his records etc are hideously overpriced, and nowhere near as rare as he says they are.

Unlike, say, Sean Shaver, he never actually met Elvis, despite what he tells you. The story Lichter writes in one of his books about riding down the highway holding onto Elvis on a motorbike is a classic ... for all the wrong reasons. It never bloody happened!

BrianK
09-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks, Getlo for the update - when I called Lichter on the phone to complain he said that Butterfield's auction company would authenticate it! Well, several autograph experts have turned thumbs down on it, the latest one saying it was "an obvious tracing" - at that point I told the expert he could trash it. I heard that Lichter put up a big auction of questionable items - why he was never called on it I don't know.

ksimms2
10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
did you guys know that Elvis hated signing his fan mail, letters, etc.? he would have vernon and whatever of the MM would be around at the time. So who is to say that an "autographed" Elvis photo someone received in the mail, and actually thought was signed by Elvis, wasn't signed by Vernon or the MM......but this person would not know that.....I wouldn't trust it unless you were there while he was signing it......too many crooks out there. Or a trusted source.

Elvis 1972
10-01-2007, 06:38 PM
After years of study, I finally have 2 autographs that I feel are real EPs. I got burned years ago to the tune of $1250 for fake Elvis autograph sold to me by Paul Lechter of the "Original Elvis Fan Club". Soured me for quite a while until I read the books out there on how to identify a real EP signature. Watch out because EP signature is massively & easily faked.

Brian, I have posted my Elvis autograph in the Memorabilia secton which is on page 6. This is a genuine autograph, Elvis signed it for me when I met him on 3 September 1972.

Rita

Elvis_Lady_1984
10-02-2007, 12:22 AM
i dont believe that it looks orginal

BrianK
10-02-2007, 02:51 AM
To Elvis 1972 - Your example has all the characteristics of a "good one". Besides - forgers usually use 8 X 10 photos or record albums to put EP's "signature" on. Can the moderator of TCB World please "flip"this autograph photo? It is posted upside down on the website, which makes it extremely hard to study!

Getlo
10-02-2007, 04:19 AM
I cannot believe that four people so far on this poll think this autograph is real. It just defies belief ... :doh:

Who are you???

Elvis 1972
10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
To Elvis 1972 - Your example has all the characteristics of a "good one". Besides - forgers usually use 8 X 10 photos or record albums to put EP's "signature" on. Can the moderator of TCB World please "flip"this autograph photo? It is posted upside down on the website, which makes it extremely hard to study!

Hi Brian, sorry about the signature being upside down! You can blame Elvis for that LOL!! But I hope it gives you some idea about his signature.

Rita

Elvis 1972
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Brian, I have reposted my Elvis autograph for you, so that you can study it better. It's in the Memorabilia section. Hope it helps you out.

Rita

BrianK
10-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks - the fact that it was signed upside down on the menu, and the nice smooth "all in one stroke" writing, all further attest to its authenticity. It's what collectors would call a "textbook" example.;)

TotallyInsane
02-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Here is the autograph I got when we saw him at The Tanner Building in Memphis. It was dark, and he signed this holding the picture in his hand. I watched him sign it so I can guarantee you it's a real one!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/896080/Autograph.jpg

TotallyInsane
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Here's the front of the picture that he signed. It was a picture we had just gotten from Sean Shaver - my hero as a teenager!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/896080/Elvis1972.jpg

Johnny
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I cannot believe that four people so far on this poll think this autograph is real. It just defies belief ... :doh:

Who are you???

Now it's five people :doh:

Jungleroom76
02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
did you guys know that Elvis hated signing his fan mail, letters, etc.? he would have vernon and whatever of the MM would be around at the time. So who is to say that an "autographed" Elvis photo someone received in the mail, and actually thought was signed by Elvis, wasn't signed by Vernon or the MM......but this person would not know that.....

Really?? :hmm:

I've never heard that before....I would be interested to see where you saw/heard that!!

I wouldn't trust it unless you were there while he was signing it......too many crooks out there. Or a trusted source.

Unfortuantely, with all the forgeries out there today, the only trusted source would probably be Graceland...and how often do they offer genuine Elvis autographs for sale??

I don't know if you have tuned into TCB-Radio for our new program TCB-Thunder, but I have a segment on the show called "The Jungle Room" where I offer my opinion on Elvis world topics, and I actually did my segment this week on the crooks on eBay! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
but I have a segment on the show called "The Jungle Room" where I offer my opinion on Elvis world topics, and I actually did my segment this week on the crooks on eBay! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

I heard your segment once Mike and thought it was very cool buddy!(y)

And 'crooks' on ebay is a good topic, because their are so many out there. Especially those who pass on Pro CDr's as original factory pressed cd's. I have nothing against cdr's but when you get people to spend their hard earned money on something that really isn't what they think it is, that's low as they come if you ask me.(n)

TCB!Brad

TotallyInsane
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, Rosanne and I saw one on there the other day selling a scarf that her mom got at a concert in 1978!!!!! Talk about a collector's item!!!

Jungleroom76
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I heard your segment once Mike and thought it was very cool buddy!(y)

And 'crooks' on ebay is a good topic, because their are so many out there. Especially those who pass on Pro CDr's as original factory pressed cd's. I have nothing against cdr's but when you get people to spend their hard earned money on something that really isn't what they think it is, that's low as they come if you ask me.(n)

TCB!Brad

THANKS BRAD!! GLAD YOU LIKED IT!! (y)

You are 100% right....some of the newer fans out there may not know that they are getting scammed on eBay and wind up spending their hard earned money for something that is not what was being advertised. And I know eBay has some kind of reporting system in place for these types of things, but still....the poor buyer is still out the money they spent!! It's hard enough for the knowledgable Elvis collectors to know what to look for in what they are buying, let alone the newer collectors!

I mentioned this in my segment on TCB-Thunder, but back when eBay first began, I purchased an Elvis scarf from a guy who had obtained it from a lady who got the scarf from Elvis at a show at the Omni in Georgia in 1973! Not only did this guy give me all the information I asked for, but he gave me the name of the lady that he got the scarf from and I was able to get in touch with her for further authentication! I wouldn't have dreamed of spending that kind of money on something like a scarf without proper authentication, and once I received that, I did wind up bidding on and winning the scarf and it remains one of my treasured pieces in my collection...proudly framed and hanging on my wall today!! Today...knowing what I know now about the crooks and scammers on eBay, I wouldn't think of spending that kind of money on something...regardless of what kind of "proof" they offered of authenticity. There just has been so much fake stuff passed around on there, that I wouldn't be comfortable spending that kind of money...and it's truly a shame! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Rosanne and I saw one on there the other day selling a scarf that her mom got at a concert in 1978!!!!! Talk about a collector's item!!!

Precisely what I mean TotallyInsane....now this one is quite a stretch because most everyone knows that he died in 1977, but still....there may be someone out there that doesn't and could EASILY be taken advantage of!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Wendy56
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok, if it's not real, tell the characteristics of a real one... :( I've read in a couple of internet sites, how a real looks like. But it could be that, as a fan, when someone sees the "Elvis Presley" name as a signature, the brain blocks itself. :P At least, it happends to me, and wish all autographs were real, so I can finally get one for me. :blush:

Unchained Melody
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
THANKS BRAD!! GLAD YOU LIKED IT!! (y)

You are 100% right....some of the newer fans out there may not know that they are getting scammed on eBay and wind up spending their hard earned money for something that is not what was being advertised. And I know eBay has some kind of reporting system in place for these types of things, but still....the poor buyer is still out the money they spent!! It's hard enough for the knowledgable Elvis collectors to know what to look for in what they are buying, let alone the newer collectors!

I mentioned this in my segment on TCB-Thunder, but back when eBay first began, I purchased an Elvis scarf from a guy who had obtained it from a lady who got the scarf from Elvis at a show at the Omni in Georgia in 1973! Not only did this guy give me all the information I asked for, but he gave me the name of the lady that he got the scarf from and I was able to get in touch with her for further authentication! I wouldn't have dreamed of spending that kind of money on something like a scarf without proper authentication, and once I received that, I did wind up bidding on and winning the scarf and it remains one of my treasured pieces in my collection...proudly framed and hanging on my wall today!! Today...knowing what I know now about the crooks and scammers on eBay, I wouldn't think of spending that kind of money on something...regardless of what kind of "proof" they offered of authenticity. There just has been so much fake stuff passed around on there, that I wouldn't be comfortable spending that kind of money...and it's truly a shame! :'(

TCB!
Mike

WELL SAID MY FRIEND!!! COMPLETLEY AGREED!!(y)

It's ashame that their are people out there who do that sort of thing to fans, and those people are not fans, they are just in it for the money plain and simple!

Jungleroom76
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
WELL SAID MY FRIEND!!! COMPLETLEY AGREED!!(y)

It's ashame that their are people out there who do that sort of thing to fans, and those people are not fans, they are just in it for the money plain and simple!

Yep...just because it has Elvis' name attached to it, they think they can swindle people out of their hard earned money! And the worst part is that because of people like that, it hurts real Elvis collectors who might want to sell some of their collectables on eBay! Buyers are so gun-shy about getting possibly ripped off that they are afraid to buy something!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
it hurts real Elvis collectors who might want to sell some of their collectables on eBay! Buyers are so gun-shy about getting possibly ripped off that they are afraid to buy something!! :'(
TCB!
Mike

And they have the right to be and should be with all the people that rip other fans off. I payed 30 dollars for the cd "Eternal Flame" October 20th 1976 show. The guy said it was originally pressed. Was a fake pro cdr.(n):doh:

Jungleroom76
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
And they have the right to be and should be with all the people that rip other fans off. I payed 30 dollars for the cd "Eternal Flame" October 20th 1976 show. The guy said it was originally pressed. Was a fake pro cdr.(n):doh:

Man, I'm sorry to hear that... :'(

But unfortunately, a good many of us Elvis fans have probably been taken advantage of like that at one time or another -- myself included!! :blush:

TCB!
Mike

ksimms2
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Really?? :hmm:

I've never heard that before....I would be interested to see where you saw/heard that!!

Unfortuantely, with all the forgeries out there today, the only trusted source would probably be Graceland...and how often do they offer genuine Elvis autographs for sale??

I don't know if you have tuned into TCB-Radio for our new program TCB-Thunder, but I have a segment on the show called "The Jungle Room" where I offer my opinion on Elvis world topics, and I actually did my segment this week on the crooks on eBay! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

Mike, I think I read it in "Revelations of MM" because they had to endure sitting their signing and was talking about it in the book. I've read so many Elvis books - but I'm pretty sure it was "Revelations" I read it in.