PDA

View Full Version : Where Were You When Elvis Died?

BrianK
09-29-2007, 02:26 AM
I was thinking that the news of his death had a big impact on me, and the rest of us. You know the old saying "I remember where I was when __________ died"? Well it certainly fits here. As on "old-timer" - 56 yrs old, I remember lots of celebrity death announcements, but only a handful with this characteristic. I would say I remember where I was in the deaths of Marilyn Monroe - up at the lake in Wisconsin,(My uncle commented "What a waste!) the assassination of JFK - the nuns in Catholic school asked us to say a prayer at the President had been hurt - and in August 1977 the death of Elvis - watched it on an old B&W TV we had bought uo to the WI lake cabin.We watched in stunned silence. Another August death like Marilyn. 3 deaths - 3 of the greatest figures of our time. 3 persons - I will always remember where I was when they died.

Tommy
09-29-2007, 02:38 AM
I was in my car, I was shocked and just sat there listening to the awful news about Elvis on my car's radio.

rickb
09-29-2007, 10:07 AM
at home.
I remember it clearly.
I was woken by my mum to get ready for school. She said there had been something on the radio about Elvis but she didn't quite hear it.
I got up as the 7.30 news was coming on. I got to the bathroom door (which was near the kitchen) and heard the start of the news. My mum heard it and turned and said `oh Rick'.
I went into a long shower and am not too embarrassed now to say that I cried.

ksimms2
09-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I was at home in Ocala, FL in this trailer we lived in because I remember going into my room and crying for days....literally. My mom and I were talking about this while we were visiting Graceland back in June. She said I just cried and cried and didn't want anyone to bother me. I had this HUGE Elvis Las Vegas poster on the back of my bedroom door....and my youngest sister came in and scribbled all over it with a pen.....and that just sent me into more crying fits......man...my world ended that day.

Jailhouse-Rocker
09-29-2007, 11:15 AM
i wasn't born :'( sorry i just HAD to comment

it must have been terrible for all you to hear such news :hug: if i was alive then, i'd have probably been inconsolable :'(

shows real strength to still be a fan (y) if it was me, i wouldn't lsiten to another elvis track again, it'd just hurt me too much (strictly my thoughts on what i would of done - please no-one be nasty to me :'()

dave3577
09-29-2007, 11:37 AM
i was 15 years old at the time, and at 10.30 at night i was in my friends house when the news came on that elvis had died,i thought there must have been a mistake,the next day on my way to school i brought every newspaper i could to read the sad news,i was inconsolable. 30 years later i still feel the same

PaulV.
09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I was 14 at the time & was coming back from summer school. As I entered the house my brother, his wife & my parents were all talking about Elvis that just died & we all listened to the radio:( I remember like it was yesterday!

*LittleSister1981*
09-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I wasn't born yet back in 1977...But I don't know what I would have done,if I heard the news...It must have been soo horrible for all of u guys,who had to experience it.I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to stop crying,I would just stay in my room for days,listening to his music and cry even more...

Rover
09-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I wasn't born yet...but just reading the replies of those who were here, I got tears in my eyes, I know I'm too emo. Must have been so horrible for you guys...Just one thing to say: his music will never die as long as we're here :hug:

Diane
09-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I was a home with the television on and a special broadcast came on with the news of Elvis' death. I just stood there stunned and couldn't believe it. My husband came home shortly afterwards and he had heard it on the car radio. Yes, I did cry....he was so much a part of me growing up.

Diane

marijaep
09-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I was a home with the television on and a special broadcast came on with the news of Elvis' death. I just stood there stunned and couldn't believe it. My husband came home shortly afterwards and he had heard it on the car radio. Yes, I did cry....he was so much a part of me growing up.

Diane

The growing up part ; It's so true.
He really helps me grow up....and somehow learn from his mistakes :'(
I wasn't born back then.......but, i can imagine how sad it must have been :'(

:hug:

elvislady
09-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I was babysitting for my aunt.
elvislady

Shelly
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I was living in Tennessee when Elvis died. I was 17 and my dad told me that he had died. I told my dad that was not a funny. He said come out here and listen. I went into the kitchen where my mom was and she was crying and the radio announcer was repeating it again and he was also crying. Losing Elvis was just as hard as losing my parents years later. I miss them all. May they all rest in peace.

presley31
09-29-2007, 04:53 PM
l wasn't born yet, wish l was around than.

ricardo b. prospero
09-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I was preparing to report for work when I heard the news over the TV and my initial reaction was disbelief and sorrow. When I reached the office I received several calls from friends and relatives regarding the sad news as if a relative of mine have passed away. It seems after his death things were never the same again.

Lisarose
09-30-2007, 04:03 AM
I had just moved to Houston to attend college, I was driving from Houston to Galveston to spend some time at the beach before school started & the announcement came on the radio. I was in the middle of the causeway & it didn't sink in. I remember thinking, another legend dead? It didn't sink in for a long time. I don't know if has. I still feel him in my heart.

john carpenter
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I was coming home from school (6th grade)..and it was about 3:00 p.m.. WE watched the news at 5:00 p.m. and they reported his death. I almost forgot a relative called and told my mother that she heard on the radio Elvis died. My mother didn't believe it so we found out when the nightly news came on.:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

cameron
06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I was on my way home. My oldest daughter called and told me.
I just couldn't believe it. Think I was just in shock for a few years.

gordon
06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I was at the picture house watching "Orca the killer whale", rubbish film but will always remember it now. did not find out till next morning when I put the radio on and they was playing Elvis records after records and the D.J said that they was paying tribute to a great artist, and it still never sunk in, the wife went to the shops and came running back with the paper and I saw the headlines and I dont think I stopped crying for days after, I brought every paper from that day on until after his funeral, still got them as well.

kathy parkinson
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Like everyone else in the UK i heard the news late, i had just finished shiftwork at 11pm, arrived home and watched the late news.
Although i was still devastated the next morning i had two small children to think about, so just got on with looking after them.
I miss him still, but his music will never die, as long as there is one Elvis fan on earth there will always be Elvis music being played.

utmom2008
06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I miss him still, but his music will never die, as long as there is one Elvis fan on earth there will always be Elvis music being played.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

sabbath
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
there was an elvis film "festival" in norway at that time. reruns of some of his old movies. i dont recall exactly which film it was that night but i remember seeing the movie, then exiting the theater only to encounter some reporters who wanted some commentary on the big news. we said what news and they said elvis was dead. we said huh??? in complete shock. it didnt really sink in until days later

EDIT: it was king creole we saw that day i think

LianaKaralivanou
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I was 3 years old when Elvis died and I didn't know who Elvis was back then (I'm ashamed to say this...). But when I was a little older and I was told that this man wasn't alive any more, I felt so bad, like I had just lost a member of my family! Strange, huh?

KPM
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I was an assistant manager in a store and in our office we had a radio playing and as I walked into the office I heard ".........ock and roll dead"
I thought I heard something wrong but a few minutes later I heard the "breaking news" again . I stopped in my tracks. I got 3 phone calls in an hour and suddenly in the store everyone was telling each other "Have you heard Elvis died today" Sad unexpected day.

Laura Harrell
06-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I was on vacation with my family in Memphis. We had stopped at this little roadside picnic area and the news came over the radio station in the car. Everyone around me was crying. I was only 6, but I will never forget it.

john4elvis
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I was in Cork - Ireland, on holaday with my friend and his family. That night they had the car raidio on and every song being played was Elvis. My friend and his family had just found out Elvis had died but did not want to tell me, so everytime the dj came on they would turn down the volume. Having my Elvis monthly with me, i let them see a part were it said that Elvis was going on tour again and told them, that all this air play must have something to do with that.
The next day walking down the busy main street in Cork going to see the new James Bond film, there was an outside paperstand, i noticed photos of Elvis in a lot of the papers, stopping to have a look at them, i saw on one of the paper's in big black writing ELVIS DEAD, in that second, it was like everything around me had stopped, there was not even a sound, as all i could see was ELVIS DEAD.
After taking me to a cafe, i went to a record store and bought the Elvis Welcome To My World Lp.

Elvistcbkirch
06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Beautiful threat. I was five years old, and scientist argue a lot wether you can remenber anything from your age at five, but I do. I was sitting in the kitchen, when the national radio annaounced the sad news. My mom stopped her cocking, sighed a 'no', turned around, walked to the door and yelled to my father outside the house: 'Karl', Karl, Elvis is dead!'. I knew something terrible had happened...

daimler
06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I was in my moms here belly. I am born on 19th september 1977.
Rock'n'rollin. Hhaaha

ehollier
06-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I was standing in the dining room while my mom was finishing up our school uniforms (I was almost 10) when we heard it on television when it was announced. Then we got a call from my aunt who said they were leaving for Memphis for the funeral.

snowbird
06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I will never forget that night.
I was out having fun all night and was accompanied by my best friend, then we came back to our homes very late, he used to live a few houses away from mine.
I was preparing to go to sleep, when i heard someone knocking at the door, it was him.
He told me : elvis is dead, i replied f... you, he swore and repeated : elvis is dead, but i still didn't believe him.
Then i told him : i can't sleep, let's go to the car and listen to the music, i put the radio on, then the news came out.
It was so shocking that i didn't really realize, it was only the morning after when my mother came an told me : have you heard the news about elvis ? that i finally realized he was gone.
I still have tears in my eyes when i remember that night.

illona
06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I learnt it the next day doubtless because of the jet lag with the USA. I was completely annihilated and I spoke to nobody during several hours. The next days I didn't spoke about my sorrow to anybody but everybody around me suspected what his death made to me. But it was as if it was taboo: I did not want to speak about it.

Since I had seen TTWII, I intended to go to see him on stage. I waited the end of my studies and to have a job for travelling to the States. But sadly it never happened :'(