PDA

View Full Version : movie song greats

rhythmknights
09-25-2007, 05:12 AM
I've just been reading the thread about Elvis & who threatened his crown. Wow, some good arguments there. Anyway, the bottom line argument was the sad state of movie songs.
Seems that movie songs aren't gonna make high ground, they just hopefully make the movie flow along. However, some of Elvis' movie songs were good enough for the charts, which movie song in your opinion went above & beyond? Besides the obvious ones. Dig deep & pluck out that little known jewel.

Here's mine. I read about this in one of the which song do you like threads & I had to look it up because I liked the writers. It's a good one, IMO, really sexy! RELAX

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B-v5RYS2Vdw

President Presley
09-25-2007, 06:06 AM
How about "Little Egypt", it was also sung in the '68 Comeback Special.

Raised on Rock
09-25-2007, 06:11 AM
"What?d I Say" and "I Need Somebody to Lean On" from Viva las Vegas '63

hounddog
09-25-2007, 06:47 AM
I always liked Rubberneckin'. I used to do it in my band when i was 18, i'm 36 now. I thought it was an underrated song long before the remix. Also They Remind Me to Much of You is great as well as So Close Yet So Far From Paradise

Rover
09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Except from Jailhouse Rock...most of the movie songs aren't really good :)
"I got lucky" in Kid Galahad was ok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxsDKXh56c
Someone should make a "what's the worst movie song?" topic, it would get more posts :lmfao:

marijaep
09-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Someone should make a "what's the worst movie song?" topic, it would get more posts :lmfao:

What about :
- Change Of Habit
- Can't Help Falling In Love
- Bossa Nova Baby
..................................and many others lol
:D

Rover
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Ok, I said only Jailhouse Rock was good because I didn't know that Change Of Habit Can't Help Falling In Love and Bossa Nova Baby were from movies...In which movies were they sing?
Also Baby I don't care was good too! :)

marijaep
09-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Ok, I said only Jailhouse Rock was good because I didn't know that Change Of Habit Can't Help Falling In Love and Bossa Nova Baby were from movies...In which movies were they sing?
Also Baby I don't care was good too! :)

It's ok :D You learn something new everyday ;)
- Change Of Habit is from Change Of Habit (1969)- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhYECSwZNM

- Can't Help Falling In Love is from Blue Hawaii (1961) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_C2p9dp1E - this is from the comeback special, because I can not find the actual part from Blue Hawaii on youtube :'(

- Bossa Nova Baby is from Fun In Acapulco (1963) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yZifpgCR0 - cheerful song :D

jatta-tcb
09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh there are some really good movies songs..

Charro from Charro :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFRDtYlT7c

Edge of reality from Live a little Love a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQexmXrt1U

Puppet on a string from Girl Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-fgHiBErQ

A dog's life from Paradise hawaiian Style :lol:

Change of habit from Change of habit

Also I could mention: Jailhouse rock, Trouble, A little less conversation, GI Blues and I'm a roustabout.

These are my favourites at the moment :)

rickb
09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
let yourself go is a great rocker

Lisarose
09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
All I Needed Was The Rain - from Stay Away Joe. Great scene, too.
I also liked I Got Lucky & I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell.

Didn't Bossa Nova, Baby make the charts? Also What'd I Say, if that didn't make the charts, what was wrong with people?

Lisarose
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM

It's been done! Just do a search & you'll pull up a few! LOL

ElvisChick
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
King Of The World Wide World - Kid Galahad

Your Time Hasnt Come Yet Baby - Speedway (I think):hmm:

Getlo
09-25-2007, 01:30 PM

The worst movie song?

Old MacDonald.

Nothing even comes close. It is a musical symbol of just what a joke Elvis and his movies had become in Hollywood at the time.

"With an oink oink here, an oink oink there ..." Give me a freakin' break.

But, as bad as some of his flicks were, there is at least one track from every movie that passes muster.

Diane
09-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I like A Little Less Conversation from Live A Little, Love A Little and Clean Up Your Own Backyard from The Trouble With Girls. There are quite a few others I feel are very good.

Diane

Lisarose
09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I love Clean Up Your Own Backyard! Especially the tongue twister at the end! I try, but I still can't sing it along with him! '. . When you get right down to the nitty-gritty isn't it a pity that in this big city not a one a little bitty man'll admit he could have been a little bit wrong. . .'
I know there are more than a few who won't like this one, but We're Coming in Loaded. [from Girls!Girls!Girls!] Some of the lyrics are - not up to par, but the music is great & his interpretation is also wonderful.

presley31
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
My favs are
Datin
G.l Blues
Your the Boss

EnigmaticSun
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
King Of The Whole Wide World - Kid Galahad

Yes, that is a nice song. We've both enjoyed it and it's funny seeing another pastor in this movie.

Anyway: I've noticed that the song "Marguerita" (Fun In Acapulco) sounds like a Spanish piece for classical guitar called "Malaguena".

I also did like "Song of the shrimp", for example - I really did. Or "Doin' the best I can" is a beautiful ballad"! I don't see why people wouldn't like these.

Even "Clambake" had a meaningful tune: "A house that has everything" kinda sums up Billy Gilman's life. A house that has everything - everything but love.. and it's so true!

Rover
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
There are a lot of movies I have to see now...Fun in Acapulco, GI Blues, Live A Little, Love A Little :clap:

spanish eyes
09-25-2007, 06:13 PM
IMO there are a lot of movie songs that are under-rated, the following are some of my faves:-

1. You Don't Know Me (Clambake)
2. Almost (The Trouble with Girls)
3. Young and Beautiful (Jailhouse Rock)
4. Treat Me Nice (Jailhouse Rock)
5. As Long as I Have You (King Creole)
6. Don't Ask Me Why (King Creole)
7. Trouble (King Creole)
8. I Don't Want To (Girls, Girls, Girls)
9. Where Do You Come From (Girls, Girls, Girls)
10. The Girl I Never Loved (Clambake)
11. Singing Tree (Clambake)
12. Mine (Speedway)
13. Suppose (Speedway)
14. Who Are You (Who Am I) (Speedway)
15. Pocketful of Rainbows (GI Blues)
16. Doin' the Best I Can (GI Blues)
17. Shoppin' Around (GI Blues)
18. Tonight is So Right for Love (GI Blues)
19. Hard Knocks (Roustabout)
20. Big Love, Big Heartache (Roustabout)
21. Anyone (could fall in love with you) (Kissin' Cousins)
22. This is My Heaven (Paradise, Hawaiian Style)
23. I'm Falling In Love Tonight (It Happened at the World's Fair)
24. Am I Ready (Released as California Holiday in the UK)
25. Hard Luck - (Frankie and Johnny)
26. Please Don't Stop Loving Me (Frankie and Johnny)
27. What Every Woman Lives for (Frankie and Johnny)
28. Wild in the Country (Wild in the Country)
29. In My Way (Wild in the Country)
30. Angel (Follow that Dream)

Getlo
09-25-2007, 06:16 PM
12. Mine (Speedway)

Hate to be pedantic (okay, actually I don't! :lol:) but these are not movie songs. They were only included on the relevant soundtracks as filler material, and were not part of either movie.

spanish eyes
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Hate to be pedantic (okay, actually I don't! :lol:) but these are not movie songs. They were only included on the relevant soundtracks as filler material, and were not part of either movie.

Ok Getlo but they are still great tracks, that still leaves 28 under-rated movie songs on my list, my point being is there are a lot more great movie songs than at first glance.

marijaep
09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
The worst movie song?

Old MacDonald.

Nothing even comes close. It is a musical symbol of just what a joke Elvis and his movies had become in Hollywood at the time.

"With an oink oink here, an oink oink there ..." Give me a freakin' break.

But, as bad as some of his flicks were, there is at least one track from every movie that passes muster.

Lol, i agree Getlo

Rover
09-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Just a question, did he write the songs he did in these movies? If someone else wrote them, it would explain why they're so bad :)

marijaep
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Just a question, did he write the songs he did in these movies? If someone else wrote them, it would explain why they're so bad :)

Errr...Rover, don't get disappointed, but Elvis didn't write any of his songs...:doh:
;) Just a useful information....the forum is indeed a great place to learn new things (y)

hounddog
09-26-2007, 11:30 PM
He had a hand in writing You'll Be Gone didn't he. Also That's Someone You'll Never Forget i think

marijaep
09-26-2007, 11:39 PM
He had a hand in writing You'll Be Gone didn't he. Also That's Someone You'll Never Forget i think

Yes, i have read the same thing about You'll Be Gone too :D Nice song...lol.
But he appeared as a co-writer or????

jatta-tcb
09-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Yes, i have read the same thing about You'll Be Gone too :D Nice song...lol.
But he appeared as a co-writer or????

as I remember.. he wrote "You'll be gone" with Charlie Hodge and Red West :)

and about "That's someone you'll never forget" is written by Red West..

ElvisChick
09-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Oh there are some really good movies songs..

Charro from Charro :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFRDtYlT7c

Edge of reality from Live a little Love a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQexmXrt1U

Puppet on a string from Girl Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-fgHiBErQ

A dog's life from Paradise hawaiian Style :lol:

Change of habit from Change of habit

Also I could mention: Jailhouse rock, Trouble, A little less conversation, GI Blues and I'm a roustabout.

These are my favourites at the moment :)

I agree with you, i really like edge of reality and puppet on a string!(y):D

hounddog
09-27-2007, 05:28 AM
I knew that Red was the main writer of That's Someone You'll Never Forget but i've read somewhere that Elvis was involved as the song was about his mother. Not sure how true that is

Merry
09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Harum Scarum "So Close Yet So Far"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCMbLOBQMw

"Almost in Love Tonight"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tXyvHXvqFus

"Beach Boy Blues"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IyNEclsmd_8

"Trouble"

"Return to Sender"

"Slicin' Sand"

"Let Yourself Go"

and many more.....:D

Kim

Awickedreigndrop
09-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Hmmm, I think "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" from The Trouble With Girls is a very underrated song. I had always liked "Rubberneckin'" (Before the remix was made).

I also agree with Jess about "Return to Sender" and "Trouble" My best friend and I claimed that song as our theme song!:P

Merry
09-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, I think "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" from The Trouble With Girls is a very underrated song. I had always liked "Rubberneckin'" (Before the remix was made).

I also agree with Jess about "Return to Sender" and "Trouble" My best friend and I claimed that song as our theme song!:P

I also like "Rubber Neckin'" (before the remix) and "Edge of Reality" lol....oh gosh, you know, I did enjoy Elvis' movies. Yes, creatively, Elvis wasn't pleased with some, I can understand where he was coming from; however, I really did love them!

:D

Kim

Rover
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Errr...Rover, don't get disappointed, but Elvis didn't write any of his songs...

:supriced: Didn't know that...Anybody wrote most of them? Or was it somebody different for each song?

Getlo
09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
:supriced: Didn't know that...Anybody wrote most of them? Or was it somebody different for each song?

There are literally hundreds of writers for the songs Elvis recorded. But the most prominent are Lieber & Stoller, Tepper & Bennet, Wise & Weisman etc

MLM
09-28-2007, 05:26 AM
I always thought Edge of Reality was a fairly good song.

Lisarose
09-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Almost In Love, the first time I heard that I could only wonder who was singing? It did not sound at all like Elvis to me. What a great song!

ricardo b. prospero
09-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Dear Rover I believe you should first review all the Elvis movies before you lay down your final judgement. There are a lot of under rated Elvis songs in the movie that never got the chance to be exposed at all. Some people called them obscure but I say they just lack the air time to be heard. I must admit there are some songs that Elvis did that makes you wonder why he ever do it. Like the song" Old Mc Donald" in the movie Kid Galahad. I love the song "I need somebody to lean on" from Viva Las Vegas. I think your preference for the songs will depend on your mood and age.

Dorulet
09-30-2007, 09:10 AM
How do you guys feel about "Tender Feeling" ? If i remember correctly it's from Kissin' Cousins, and in my opinion it's a pretty good song... i love to sing it.

Rover
09-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't know Tender Feelings :blush:
Don't worry Ricardo, that's what I'm planning to do: watch every movie Elvis has ever made :D
I'll come back with new songs titles once it will be done!

EE:UK reader
09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
I've always enjoyed the gems from Elvis' movies i have the 60's masters 2 the command performances and i love it!
Yes okay i admit some are a little cheesey - but that's what makes them different and fun.There's something for everyone, The slow ones like - wild in the country and They remind me to much of You. Then there is the rockers like = Long legged girl with the short dress on, Bossa Nova Baby and Clean up your own back yard. Then there is the fun side of things like - Mexico, Little Egypt, Puppet on a String.
Not forgetting Stay away Joe either!!(y)
Yes call me strange if you like but i love the movie songs!
Elaine.

Elvisgirl
10-01-2007, 04:27 AM
confidence

rhythmknights
10-01-2007, 04:36 AM
There's more than a few good movie songs, huh? sure,I love a good ballad, esp. if Elvis is singing it. but I do like good ole rock & roll. C'mon everybody, Shopping Around ( not really R&R, but a great beat) Rubbernecking, just a good assortment. thanks for your input, i've been looking up alot of songs, & so far, not many bad ones - I didn't bother to look up Old MacDonald - i have that one on a cd - Elvis sings for Kids - & grownups,too! I thought it was funny. 'and when those cows got out of line hamburger, medium rare' :lmfao::lmfao: right now, i'm listening to Walls have ears on YOuTube! Another funny one, but the tango beat - sexy!

spanish eyes
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know Tender Feelings :blush:
Don't worry Ricardo, that's what I'm planning to do: watch every movie Elvis has ever made :D
I'll come back with new songs titles once it will be done!

I love the song Tender Feeling Dourlet

Here Rover I hope you like it too :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQ95XdSMQE&mode=related&search=

LianaKaralivanou
10-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Definately "Puppets on a string" from "Girl Happy", "Kismet" from " Harum Scarum" and my last choise is " Because of love" from " Girls, girls, girls!"

ricardo b. prospero
10-07-2007, 11:05 AM
That draws the line between the old fans and the starters. Most of them never got the chance to watch all the Elvis movies to their disadvantage. There were great songs from the movies but never got the chance to be recognized for lack of exposure and play time.
It is true you can never satisfy everyone all the time. What seems cool to me maybe the opposite to you and that's the way it is in this world.

EnigmaticSun
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't know if I'm an old fan. I'm still young (22yo) but I do know and enjoy his movie songs.. ah well!

franny
10-16-2007, 09:22 PM
There's a lot of nice movie songs..(y)..Some of the ones' I like are:

Edge Of Reality
G.I. Blues
Return To Sender
Trouble

rebby
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I absolutely love Let Yourself Go, although i do prefer the 68 version.. and i also think basically all of the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack is fantastic, if u don't take the movies too serious the songs can be a good cheer u up, because they are so ridiculous sometimes! lol although i do draw the line at Old Macdonald! :) lol

EnigmaticSun
10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I can't even grasp why people dislike OldMacDonald. It's cute.

KPM
10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Tender Feeling
Relax
You Dont KNow Me
Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
Return To Sender
Loving You
Treat Me Nice
Youre so Square
Viva Las Vegas

Wendy56
10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Lover Doll; As Long As I Have You (though I think this one was a cover), and Almost In Love... There are so many other too. :D

mistymorning
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
IMO there are a lot of movie songs that are under-rated, the following are some of my faves:-

1. You Don't Know Me (Clambake)
2. Almost (The Trouble with Girls)
3. Young and Beautiful (Jailhouse Rock)
4. Treat Me Nice (Jailhouse Rock)
5. As Long as I Have You (King Creole)
6. Don't Ask Me Why (King Creole)
7. Trouble (King Creole)
8. I Don't Want To (Girls, Girls, Girls)
9. Where Do You Come From (Girls, Girls, Girls)
10. The Girl I Never Loved (Clambake)
12. Mine (Speedway)
13. Suppose (Speedway)
14. Who Are You (Who Am I) (Speedway)
15. Pocketful of Rainbows (GI Blues)
16. Doin' the Best I Can (GI Blues)
17. Shoppin' Around (GI Blues)
18. Tonight is So Right for Love (GI Blues)
19. Hard Knocks (Roustabout)
20. Big Love, Big Heartache (Roustabout)
21. Anyone (could fall in love with you) (Kissin' Cousins)
22. This is My Heaven (Paradise, Hawaiian Style)
23. I'm Falling In Love Tonight (It Happened at the World's Fair)
24. Am I Ready (Released as California Holiday in the UK)
25. Hard Luck - (Frankie and Johnny)
26. Please Don't Stop Loving Me (Frankie and Johnny)
27. What Every Woman Lives for (Frankie and Johnny)
28. Wild in the Country (Wild in the Country)
29. In My Way (Wild in the Country)
30. Angel (Follow that Dream)
Great list spanish eyes!! i totally agree with you!
I don,t want to be tied is also great from girls girls girls!
I,m sure you will enjoy to watch!
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=rxduni99z5E

Getlo
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
As Long As I Have You (though I think this one was a cover)

No, an original I believe ...

malc07
10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Wow Maria..great songs...
I really like GI blues and puppet on a string.awesome !!!

Lisarose
10-18-2007, 12:40 AM

A lot of other people wrote these songs, as has been explained before, these songs were written for the movie - these movies were considered musicals, so like in most musicals when the characters come to a certain situation, they burst into song. Sometimes the songs tie in, in Elvis' movies, most times they didn't. The Old MacDonald song most everyone dislikes - as you will recall, Elvis & his companion were traveling to the next location in the back of a poultry truck - hence Old MacDonald. While, I'm sure the writers hope to have Oscar winners, mostly, they just need to fill in for a scene. The songs are short & tell a little story. Leiber & Stoller wrote HoundDog, Jailhouse Rock, You're the Boss, they also wrote Girls, Girls Girls "and when I pick up a sandwich to munch, a crunchy, crunchy, crunchy crunch, I never ever get to finish my lunch because there's always bound to be a bunch of girls - in tight sweaters. . .'

I also remember reading somewhere that after awhile Leiber & Stoller quit writing for Elvis movies, they just didn't want to do the type of song the screenwriters wanted. [Perhaps this was in the Guralnick books?]