PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Feared He'd Be Forgotten.

presley31
09-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Even 'the King' Suffered Some Self-Doubt, Unaware the Legacy He'd Leave Behind.

There's a little-known story that reveals a lot about the man whose death 30 years ago was marked and mourned by untold millions around the world.

Shortly before he died, Elvis Presley reportedly told one of his backup singers that he thought . no one would ever remember him"Shows you where he was," says Priscilla Presley. "It shows you where he emotionally was and ... where in his career he thought he was."

Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 agrees. "I believe that, you know, Elvis probably died without really having an idea of the scope that his music -- even being fully aware that he was Elvis." But his influence changed more than Las Vegas. "Now everything -- like every style choice, every stage stance, every, you know, every photo shoot, like there's a piece of Elvis in all of that."

The show tells the story of Elvis' dramatic Vegas comeback. What surprised producers was his enduring musical legacy, detailed in interviews and performances by Beyonc?, Toby Keith and Aerosmith's Joe Perry, 50 Cent, Willie Nelson, Oscar winners Three-6-Mafia, Celine Dion, Paul McCartney, Miranda Lambert and Faith Hill. "When you think of Vegas, you think of Elvis," says Beyonc?, "and when you think of, you know, sparkle and you think of show business, you think of flash, you think of those performances."

Why do the stars of today continue to idolize him? Toby Keith summed it up this way: "He was handsome, he could sing, I mean sing perfect. I don't mean just sing, the guy could sing perfect."

'Caught in a Trap'

He came to Vegas almost a has-been -- after a string of more than 30 Hollywood movies with lightweight plots and no rock 'n' roll, Elvis hadn't had a hit in more than seven years. Could a Vegas gig make him relevant again?

Las Vegas is a city that celebrates the winners and ignores the losers. But Elvis proved that it's possible to be both. In the neon-lit nights of Sin City, the king of rock 'n' roll basked in audience adoration that did more than affirm his stardom. It transformed a city.

"Las Vegas needed a shot in the arm, and Elvis was the potion," says friend, co-star and fellow Vegas performer Nancy Sinatra. "He got the young people in. And the young people helped to build a new Vegas."

But as time dragged on and Elvis performed the same songs show after show, night after night, Priscilla Presley says he was like a stallion caged in a tiny stall.

"Vegas became kind of an animal that ate him alive," notes journalist, Alana Nash. "He couldn't figure out a way to get his enthusiasm back."

Jerry Schilling, a close friend and a member of the singer's entourage known as the Memphis Mafia, says Elvis was getting bored and frustrated.

"The guy was brilliant. He needed brilliant challenges," says Schilling. "He respected the public, and he knew you can't fool them and one day they're gonna get tired of this -- not to mention that he was."

Beneath the facade of flamboyant clothes and his signature stage moves that drew crowds from across the globe, there was another Elvis.

"He didn't express a whole lot," says Priscilla Presley. "He didn't wanna show you how insecure he was."

Elvis' very public ups and downs, his monumental success and a dark and private side have made him one of America's most fascinating cultural figures.

"Elvis swims in our minds, and in the emotions, all through time," says three-time Oscar nominee, film director David Lynch. "There's the word 'icon,' and I don't think anybody has topped that ... not one single person has ever topped Elvis."

But the dramatic story of Elvis Presley's Vegas years goes far beyond the timeless music he created. Perhaps Rob Thomas sums it up best: "If he would have died at 80, I think today, we'd still be talking about Elvis."

ElvisChick
09-17-2007, 02:32 AM
As far as im concerned, he will never EVER be forgotten!:D:king::wub:

SeeSeeRider777
09-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Elvis was never the same mentally after Gladys died. Elvis really never knew how much he was loved by the people. He thought that no one would remember him. Elvis will be talked about until the end of time. What other artist do you see is still on the charts 30 years after he dies? Thats mind blowing.

TLC67
09-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the post, Jen.
Seems like the greatest people never even know it. That's probably why.

riley
09-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I think I would rather forget my own name then forgetting him.:lol:

jatta-tcb
09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
oh.. thanks for the post Jen..

oh.. it is this unbelievable that he has lots of fans aorund the world in all ages.. senior fans and junior fans.. (i call myself junior fan..cuz i have been a fan since April 2007 :) )
he is never forgotten.. forever in our hearts.. :wub:

marijaep
09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes, i have read things similar with this one...
He didn't really know how popular he was and how much he contributed for the music generally.
But, that's what makes Elvis - Elvis I guess...;)

Wendy56
09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
He was humble. Maybe because of that he didn't want to se himself as a famous and important singer... :hmm:

ksimms2
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks for this article Jen...it's hard to imagine him not realizing how important he was...I sure hope he sees from above....I hope it makes him happy to see how loved he is by all.......

Diane
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes, poor Elvis never could understand why so much fuss was made of him. That is another of his many qualities that made him so special and why no one has forgotten him.

Diane

presley31
09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I turly believe elvis thought he was just like the normal bloke on the street, plain as day, but he wasn't really, he bought some many people to there knees when they saw elvis, he had a spacial way, shame he didn't see what the all the fuss was about and realise that god put him here for a very specail for reason. To give fans the all the love he could and that was beauiful to say the least.

desiree
09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I turly believe elvis thought he was just like the normal bloke on the street, plain as day, but he wasn't really, he bought some many people to there knees when they saw elvis, he had a spacial way, shame he didn't see what the all the fuss was about and realise that god put him here for a very specail for reason. To give fans the all the love he could and that was beauiful to say the least.

I think he was enjoying his place on the pedestal where he was put on and as well behaved like it. Then again he didn't seem to understand why he was picked to be the King. But I agree with you that he didn't realize how much his fans loved him and how much he gave them through the songs, kindness etc.

A Great thread byt the way(y):clap:

franny
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Elvis will never, ever be forgotten!! :clap:

When he was in the army, he thought we would be forgotten then too! No way!

He didn't realize how special he was and still is to so many! (y) :king:

franny

cprimm
09-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I think you had to live during Elvis' time to fully understand and comprehend why he did not fully realize how much he was loved and adored. Things were a lot different in his time than now. As Ann Margaret said in the interview on You Tube "why didn't everyone let him know how they felt about him before he died?", instead of waiting until he was dead to talk and write about how great he was. She said things might have turned out different. I have heard so many people talk about what a nice and generous person he was. He treated his fans with great respect. So how come he never knew?

Burning_Love
09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh Elvis, We Still Love You...Even 30 Years Later.. :wub:

EnigmaticSun
09-17-2007, 08:06 PM
"Elvis swims in our minds, and in the emotions, all through time," says three-time Oscar nominee, film director David Lynch. It's a strange world indeed. Baby still wants Blue Velvet!

All in all, I don't think Elvis was 'out of it', so to say. I think he still did know who he was and what he had to do, even towards the end.

But it's true Vegas was unhealthy for a guy like Elvis. To me Elvis is not a glitter and sparkle phenomenon (outer appearance, illusion), but a timeless one (inner quality). Vegas is like the old Roman amphi-theatres, it's all about bread and games for the masses - in essence it's cruel..

Some Dutch illusionist named Hans Klok is now acting straight with Pamela Anderson (in Vegas), while everyone knows he's gay over here and lives with a guy. "America is about the big show", he admitted to Dutch reporters - Pamela told him to act straight for the time being.

He (Elvis) could have attended Vegas now and then, but that was it, if you ask me. He really would have been happy sniffing up some culture in Europe, but it was not to be.

TLC67
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
I think you had to live during Elvis' time to fully understand and comprehend why he did not fully realize how much he was loved and adored. Things were a lot different in his time than now. As Ann Margaret said in the interview on You Tube "why didn't everyone let him know how they felt about him before he died?", instead of waiting until he was dead to talk and write about how great he was. She said things might have turned out different. I have heard so many people talk about what a nice and generous person he was. He treated his fans with great respect. So how come he never knew?

Probably because the person he was supposed to be closest to never told him. Too busy trying to get him to notice "me...look at me". Sorry....I'm trying to be nice.

Diane
09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Lol TLC67.....I won't say anymore. :)

Diane

presley31
09-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Probably because the person he was supposed to be closest to never told him. Too busy trying to get him to notice "me...look at me". Sorry....I'm trying to be nice.

I agree with everything you said(y)(y)

keke23
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Here's some interviews from the show with Beyonce, Jerry Schilling, and Faith Hill.

I love how Bey describes Elvis and her respect for him and how her kids will know who he was.

She's so classy!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/VivaLasVegas/Story?id=3587809&page=2

Cindy
09-19-2007, 04:20 AM
It was sad to think he thought he wouldn't be remembered....and look at him now!

Merry
09-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks Jen,

I miss him.

Hugs for himb, wish I was a conjurer.
Kim
xxxxx

King_Creole
09-19-2007, 04:56 AM
It was sad to think he thought he wouldn't be remembered....and look at him now!

IMHO, I think this so called story about Elvis feeling or fearing he wouldn't be remembered is an exaggeration and a lil out of order.

Elvis wasn't stupid and yes, he did (somewhat) have a bit of an ego, Elvis knew who he was and he knew he had sumthin' ...

Sure, like everyone in everday life, we all have doubts andd fears, and Elvis was no exception.

I just hate to think that people go around thinkin' Elvis was not aware of his star power and talent and try to write him off and belittle him as if he were just plain lucky .:doh:

ilovelvis
09-19-2007, 05:35 AM
If there is only one reason Elvis can rest in peace, it is that he will never be forgotten. :notworthy

Merry
09-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Yes and loved, more than he realises.

Kimmi
x0x0xx0

Miss Clawdy
09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
IMHO, I think this so called story about Elvis feeling or fearing he wouldn't be remembered is an exaggeration and a lil out of order.

Elvis wasn't stupid and yes, he did (somewhat) have a bit of an ego, Elvis knew who he was and he knew he had sumthin' ...

Sure, like everyone in everday life, we all have doubts andd fears, and Elvis was no exception.

I just hate to think that people go around thinkin' Elvis was not aware of his star power and talent and try to write him off and belittle him as if he were just plain lucky .:doh:

I think the story is true. Fear, doubts and insecurity have nothing to do with intelligence. They are feelings and part of your character, you can't control them. Just watch Elvis before walking on stage, he was always nervous, in fact after years of performing. I never would call it 'belittle him', on the contrary these traits make him even more lovable.

Natalie
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
If Only Elvis could have realised just how much he was loved...He knew his fans cared but I dont think he realised the extent.

marijaep
09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
If Only Elvis could have realised just how much he was loved...He knew his fans cared but I dont think he realised the extent.

Yep...Well said (y)

EnigmaticSun
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Some people may have given him the wrong impression.

He did have doubts, fears or insecurity, for even he was just a man. But as soon as he got on stage, he knew he was in his element, doing what God put him on this earth for. He did have to go through a lot of pain I think, but this shouldn't make us less grateful.

KPM
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

I think he knew who he was for sure but did not understand it and maybe worried "It can't go on for ever" He voiced that many times in the late 50s and early 60s. Also Elvis had to be aware that the Beatles were already being given huge praise as not just huge record sellers but as creative forces with their songwriting. That also might be a secret insecurity which made him doubt his impact. But thats just a thought.
I think the phrase "Never ceases to amaze me" gives some insight into his thoughts at times. The fact that he was constantly trying to understand "Why me" also tells something IMO

Merry
09-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I think he knew who he was for sure but did not understand it and maybe worried "It can't go on for ever" He voiced that many times in the late 50s and early 60s. Also Elvis had to be aware that the Beatles were already being given huge praise as not just huge record sellers but as creative forces with their songwriting. That also might be a secret insecurity which made him doubt his impact. But thats just a thought.
I think the phrase "Never ceases to amaze me" gives some insight into his thoughts at times. The fact that he was constantly trying to understand "Why me" also tells something IMO

I agree with you KPM, in my opinion, Elvis having worked for such huge success, his rightly earned success would have been mind boggling, going from "woe to go" (and what a GO!(y)).

Elvis then having his work ethic, as well as other people's wages to pay, to top it of, Elvis being humble, and in my opinion, doing a good job of staying grounded (which most wouldn't), well, I can understand it.

Kim

EnigmaticSun
09-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I do think people such as Elvis will have to cope with others scrutinizing you and such. It's part of being a good guy with quality. On top of that, a lot of people took advantage of him. That may have given 'the wrong impression', so to say.

What I admire in Elvis is his modest nature. Never phariseic or narrow-minded.

Merry
09-20-2007, 03:53 AM
It doesn't cease to amaze me how many good things have come from Elvis and his career.

How affected we all are, in such a good way.

Kim