PDA

View Full Version : Books to read.. your recommendations?

Vissie
09-16-2007, 05:27 PM
In your own opinion, what books do you feel are the best books written regarding Elvis, his family, his friends and his career?

Which ones would you recommend?

Which ones would you say were a complete waste of time?

Some of the ones I've read...

Guralnick's (who saw fit to make sure his name was the largest text on the cover :lol: )

Elvis, His Life from A - Z

Graceland

Elvis & Me

The Death of Elvis (in progress...)

Gerianne
09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Vissie, I was going to start a thread for the exact same topic, lol. I also want to buy Elvis books but I want ones written by people who tell the truth and I would love to know what ones these are. So I'm looking forward to what people have to suggest.

ksimms2
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I've only read 1 - by Jerry Schilling, which I liked very much...am waiting for Joe Esposito's book and they are giving me a hard time about shipping....I also ordered the 2 book set by Guarlnick (sp?) Careless Love & Last Train to Memphis - is that the right names....and couple of others....June Juanico's book is one of them...just waiting for them to come in.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Revelations From The Memphis Mafia, Elvis What Happened, Me And A Guy Named Elvis, Elvis A Life In Music, Elvis Day By Day.

mislulu
09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I have read the following books:

Elvis, A Biography by Jerry Hopkins. (y)

Elvis, The Final Years by Jerry Hopkins (n)

Me and a guy named Elvis - Jerry Schilling (y)

Good Rockin Time - Joe Esposito (y)

I am currently TRYING to read Sonny West's new book "Elvis Still Take Care of Business" Just haven't had time really.

I will be getting Careless Love and Last Train soon.

By the way, this is just my opinion :clap: :lmfao:

marijaep
09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Here's the books that i have read and like :

- Elvis and Me (a good one)
- Last Train To Memphis and Careless Love ( A MUST! both of them...the best ones i have read )
- Elvis, A Biography by Jerry Hopkins

;) ,

Marija

maxiefields
09-16-2007, 07:32 PM
essential reading. Revelations From The Memphis mafia
Thats alright Elvis (Scotty Moore)
In the twilight of memory(June Juanico)
Careless love/Last train to memphis

ilovelvis
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Elvis Day By Day by Ernst Jorgensen and Peter Guralnick is the best book I've ever read about Elvis. You can get it on half.com for $9.95 plus shipping as of this writing.

Priscilla's book Elvis & Me is also a good one to read. I was crying on the first page! I'm not a big fan of hers, but I do believe what she says about Elvis and I thought it was a good book. Didn't read it until YEARS after it came out, though.

King_Creole
09-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Elvis Day By Day by Ernst Jorgensen and Peter Guralnick is the best book I've ever read about Elvis. You can get it on half.com for $9.95 plus shipping as of this writing.

Great bargain to start out and essential reading.

I also highly recommend the Guralnick books and Jerry Hopkins The Final Years ...

elvislady
09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Elvis And Kathy- Kathy Westmorland really enjoyed this book
Good Rockin Tonight-joe esposito Good book
Me "N" elvis Charlie Hodge-really enjoyed this book
Me And A Guy Named Elvis -Jerry Shilling-nice read
Revelations From The Memphis Mafia-great book really enjoyed this one
Elvis What Happend-i enjoyed this book to
The Inner Elvis-Peter Whitmer,phd- this is a great book i have just finished reading it now, its very deep but does make lots of sense.

These are just a few i have read i have many more but will be here all night. lol :D hope this helps
elvislady

KPM
09-16-2007, 11:39 PM
I've read probably 70 books on Elvis and own about 50. When a new one comes out I get it at the library now instead of buy them (given a year or two you can find them much cheaper in a thrift mart or flea market)
I just read them as they come out, take them with a grain of salt- good and bad. So I would say read any you come across.

ElvisChick
09-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Elvis, Linda and Me -- Jeannie LaMay Dumas
Sergeant Presley The Untold Story
Child Bride The Untold Story Of Priscilla Presley ( its not something for a priscilla fan)

medleyofcostumes
09-17-2007, 05:45 AM
For me Peter Guralnick's 'Last train to Memphis' and 'Careless Love' are DEFINITLEY the best books on Elvis if you want a complete, balanced and very detailed biography.

As a 70's book, I recommend 'The concert Years' by Stein Erik Skar, with details and great pictures from each of Elvis' tours, Vegas and Tahoe seasons.

jatta-tcb
09-17-2007, 05:59 AM
I have read:

"Me and Elvis" by Priscilla. The first book I ever read about Elvis after I became a fan. And I liked it tehn.. but after I have read so much things about it.. that there are some things that are not correct. i don't know what to say now.. but it was a quite good anyways. I am not a fan of Cilla..but that was well written.

"Last Train to Memphis" and "Careless love" By Guralnick And I really liked those books. Lots of great infos for a new fan. I read them just a 2 months after I became a fan.. and I liked them a lot. And I think they gave me a possibility to see Elvis' life the way it was..and it was really easy to imagine the life the way it was. (hopefully i didn't write that too complicated)

and now i am ready "The final years" by Jerry Hopkins and "Elvis meets the Beatles" (I don't think this one is true story.. )

And I bought "Me and a guy named Elvis" by Schilling..but I haven't started it yet..because I am still reading two books..but it is still waiting.

Hopefully I didn't forget any books.. well.. I have to say I haven't ever read that much than since I became a fan in April :lol: :P

Suzan
09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I've ready and have just about all of them:

Elvis We Love You Tender
All the Kings Men
Elvis & Me
Child Bride
Elvis Portrait of a friend
Elvis Rock & Roll Legend
All 3 of Guralnicks books
Elvis by the Presley's
Elvis my Brother
Elvis Good Rockin Tonight
Elvis Commemorative Edition
Elvis 20th Anniversary edition
Elvis Behind the Image
Elvis From Nashville to Memphis
Priscilla, Elvis and Me
Me and a Guy Named Elvis
Elvis a Celebration
Elvis Intimate and Rare
If I Can Dream
FAns Guide to Elvis
Elvis the Final Years
Elvis What Happened
Meet Elvis Presley
Elvis by Jerry Hopkins
The Illustrated Elvis
Elvis trivia book
Candid Elvis
Elvis His Life and Music
Elvis Inc
Elvis by Albert Goldman

all the above are 1st editions and are just to name a few, I also have lots of books pertaining to Graceland, along w/Elvis' cookbooks, etc...

I don't know, I think all are good to read and then weigh all that everyone had to say and come to ur own conclusions.:)

riley
09-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Vissie,

You should read also Inside Graceland from one of the female maids/cooks
Don't know her name by hearth anymore but can look it up.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I would`nt bother with the Goldman though, utter poop.

ksimms2
09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I would`nt bother with the Goldman though, utter poop.

I've been told that and also about the MM Book, "Elvis What Happened" but honestly, I'd like to draw my own conclusions. Hopefully I can read between the lies and sort truth's from fiction.....hopefully....:blush:

maria1073
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
i have and read elvis unseen archives/ elvis the man and his music/ child bride / careless love / elvis the secret files/ if i can dream/elvis the final years/are you lonesome tonight/elvis and me/elvis/in the twilght of memory/ elvis we love you tender/elvis by jerry hopkins/elvis and the memphis mafia/the death of elvis what really happend/ elvis presley speaks/is elvis alive/ the private elvis/ elvis why wont thay leave you alone/ up and down with elvis presley / my life with elvis by beck yancey / orion/Elvis by Albert Goldma/Elvis What Happened/Elvis by the Presley's/

Vissie
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
These are all wonderful suggestions ~ I truly appreciate your recommendations. Guralnick, in my opinion, has written 2 very fine volumes. But, I believe they tend to highlight Elvis' career... offering only supplemental information regarding his personal life and his interactions with Priscilla and the MM.

ksimms2
09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, just got my "Revelations by the Memphis Mafia" book in the mail today!!! I'm so excited, can't wait to start it! It's a rather large book....

Vissie
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, just got my "Revelations by the Memphis Mafia" book in the mail today!!! I'm so excited, can't wait to start it! It's a rather large book....

I'd enjoy hearing what you think of it Ksimms ;) Happy reading! (y)

Lisarose
09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I have more than a few Elvis books - half biographical/half pictoral!:D
IMO, the Guralnick books are the best. Careless Love was a hard one to read, & I still haven't finished it, but I'm glad I have it.
I liked Jerry Schilling's book. It was an easy read, he seemed to be a good, loyal friend, IMO.
I have "Love Me Tender Diary" by Trudee Forshee (sp?) - she was the Col.'s secretary. Elvis made quite an impression on her, I enjoyed reading this one. She kept a diary after she began working for col. Tom because her true ambition was to become a journalist, she was discouraged from keeping the diary after Elvis got back from the army, I believe, which is sad, would have been great to have more insight from the later years.
I read the book by his nurse - her take on Elvis is extremely biased, she was & is a very loyal friend. She stated clearly that she would only share what she could without breaking his confidence since many things he told her he no doubt asked her to keep between the two of them.
I read Jerry Hopkins Final Years - to many false statements made me cringe (for example =. . .Red West, Elvis' cousin. . :blink:(n))
Elvis, The Complete Music Catalog - Tom, James & Michael DeMedeiros - lists every song, recording & disc Elvis performed/produced. We should be able to download updates from the publisher's webpage, but so far I haven't had any luck doing so - but I'm very computer-handicapped!
I was given the book Elvis by the Presleys - didn't like it. Whole page photos of Elvis' after shave bottles, car keys, feathers, I'm just glad I didn't pay for it!
I read Elvis & Me, (n) Good Rocking Tonight(n) - again, IMO!
Does anyone have any opinions on the books by Alana Nash? Reviews state that there was nothing new added, just info that could be found in any Elvis bio!

Lisarose
09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, I meant to add, while at the mall, I picked up 501 MUST-SEE MOVIES - a Bounty Book. It was on the sale shelf. It lists all these must see movies by categories - Western, Sci-Fi, Comedies, Romance, etc.
Under Musical - along with Sound of Music, West Side Story, A Star is Born (with Judy Garland), An American in Paris & many, many more is - ta-da - :D Viva Las Vegas.
"It was unusual for Elvis to share the limelight with anyone, but here Ann-Margret gets equal billing and on-screen time. This certainly worked well on-screen because this was Elvis' most successful film on release to the theatres, and he and Ann-Margret were, apparently, as hot an item off-screen as they were on. ... A sage critic has described him, in movies, as being 'The Jedi master of emoting without bothering with facial expressions'."

I will try :blush: to scan this page & post it later!

rockin
09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Interesting Thread!
These are the books I have read with some commentary on each of what I think on them:

Elvis! What Happened? (1st eye opener-not bad)
If I Can Dream-by Larry Geller (a joke)
Elvis Close Up- by Jay B. Leviton & Ger J. Rijff (intimate look of Elvis in '56 rare pictures and interesting lil tales of events that year)
Elvis By the Presleys (it's ok nothing to write home about)
Elvis For CD Fans Only (informative about the different U.S cd's that are out there if you happen to be a collector of American Elvis CD's)
Elvis Sessions III - Joseph Tunzi (Really Cool Book if you want information on his recordings)
Elvis Presley:A Life in Music (A good companion to Elvis Sessions with more understanding of what was going on during the sessions)
Elvis His Life from A to Z (My first book of information and I learned alot from it, it is easily written out and nicely done)
The Elvis Treasures - by Robert Gordon (really cool book of "treasures" that you can uncover when you open the book. It is like a pop up book with removable documents, memorabila, and audio CD)
Elvis the Concert Years 1969-1977 - by Stein Erik Skar (If you want a book about the concert years of Elvis' then this is it. Nicely done with wonderful pictures and information of Elvis different concerts)
Elvis World - by Jane & Michael Stern (Really nice book no new tales on Elvis, but it does have some nice pictures)
Private Presley the Mission Years Elvis in Germany - by Andreas Schroer (Some cool tales of Elvis in Germany with a unique CD of Elvis songs and interviews which brings the book to life)
The Touch of Two Kings - by Rick Stanley (A book mainly about Rick Stanley and his Salvation experience, but some of the events that occurred with Elvis are really informative. Every time that I have seen Rick, he has always stood up for Elvis never knocking him down like his brother and even criticized him for the things he has said. He always thanks God for giving him a chance to meet and be Elvis' step-brother)
That's Alright Elvis - by Scotty Moore (A book mainly about Scotty Moore, but from his perspective of the early days which is nicely done with some really interesting stories. He really loved Elvis, you can feel it when you read it)
Last Train to Memphis & Careless Love (The 1st one was really done very nicely, tons of information, the 2nd one seems to be rushed through not as thorough as the 1st, but both are well worth the money and are very balanced to read)
Revelation from the Memphis Mafia - by Billy Smith, Marty Lacker, & Lamar Fike (If you have to choose from between Elvis What Happened or this one, then this is the one you should get. Written nicely out and has alot of cool lil known tales of Elvis which is really nice to have. The stories are easy to find in the book & you can quickly figure out who they like and who they do not, they really loved Elvis)
Unseen Archives - by Marie Clayton (this book is mainly for the unseen archives, but some if not most of the archives have been seen from other books)
Elvis & Me (Well we get a one sided point of view)
Elvis Unknown Stories Behind the Legend - by Jim Curtin (this book really does live up to its name. If you want to read some cute tales of what Elvis did this book or any book by Jim Curtin is a must)
Elvis A Life in Pictures - by Tim Frew (It is what It is)
The Way It Was - by Follow that Dream (Not as good as I had hoped, the pictures seem to be more like movie stills then actually camera pictures. The CD is nice that comes with the book. The set list of the rehearsals recorded and live concerts is informative which lets us know what is played on which CD and is on which movie the older version or the new special edition)
Flashback - by Follow that Dream (the pictures are nice mostly seen them before of the early days, but the audio CD that comes with the book is really nice. No new information just pictures)
Rockin' Across Texas - by Follow that Dream (Now this is how a book is to be written at least for those at Follow that Dream. Both CD's are cool to have with unreleased live shows from Texas as well as alot of never before seen pictures of Elvis in concert in Texas with alot of commentary on the different concerts which is cool to read)
Writing for the King - by Follow that Dream (if you are interested in just the songs and not the performer then this is a really good book to get. The two CD's really do not go with each other as I would of liked, but the stories of how the writters wrote the songs are cool to read and if they met Elvis how that meeting went was nice also)

So, this is my list. Which ones are good, which ones are bad. It all depends on what you want to read about.
If you love information of Elvis' life, then get Last Train & Careless
If you want information of Elvis' music, then get Elvis Sessions III & A Life in Music
If you want information of Elvis behind the scenes, then get Revelations from the Memphis Mafia & Unknown Stories Behind the Legend
If you want information of Elvis in Concert, then get Elvis the Concert Years 69-77 & Rockin' Across Texas

I hope this was informative for anyone that needs to or wants to read books on Elvis Presley

Rockin

Lisarose
09-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Interesting Thread!
These are the books I have read with some commentary on each of what I think on them:

So, this is my list. Which ones are good, which ones are bad. It all depends on what you want to read about.
If you want information of Elvis' music, then get Elvis Sessions III & A Life in Music
If you want information of Elvis behind the scenes, then get Revelations from the Memphis Mafia & Unknown Stories Behind the Legend
If you want information of Elvis in Concert, then get Elvis the Concert Years 69-77 & Rockin' Across Texas

I hope this was informative for anyone that needs to or wants to read books on Elvis Presley

Rockin

What a great list. Thanks for your input. Some of these books are on my lists to-get. Rockin, have you read Elvis Day by Day? It's on my ?? list. I just can't get a handle on this one.
Also, is Revelations from the Memphis Mafia much different from Elvis and the Memphis Mafia? (Same author, 8 more pages)

presley31
09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Interesting Thread!

Elvis! What Happened? (1st eye opener-not bad)
If I Can Dream-by Larry Geller (a joke)
Elvis Close Up- by Jay B. Leviton & Ger J. Rijff (intimate look of Elvis in '56 rare pictures and interesting lil tales of events that year)
Elvis By the Presleys (it's ok nothing to write home about)
Elvis For CD Fans Only (informative about the different U.S cd's that are out there if you happen to be a collector of American Elvis CD's)
Elvis Sessions III - Joseph Tunzi (Really Cool Book if you want information on his recordings)
Elvis Presley:A Life in Music (A good companion to Elvis Sessions with more understanding of what was going on during the sessions)
Elvis His Life from A to Z (My first book of information and I learned alot from it, it is easily written out and nicely done)
The Elvis Treasures - by Robert Gordon (really cool book of "treasures" that you can uncover when you open the book. It is like a pop up book with removable documents, memorabila, and audio CD)
Elvis the Concert Years 1969-1977 - by Stein Erik Skar (If you want a book about the concert years of Elvis' then this is it. Nicely done with wonderful pictures and information of Elvis different concerts)
Elvis World - by Jane & Michael Stern (Really nice book no new tales on Elvis, but it does have some nice pictures)
Private Presley the Mission Years Elvis in Germany - by Andreas Schroer (Some cool tales of Elvis in Germany with a unique CD of Elvis songs and interviews which brings the book to life)
The Touch of Two Kings - by Rick Stanley (A book mainly about Rick Stanley and his Salvation experience, but some of the events that occurred with Elvis are really informative. Every time that I have seen Rick, he has always stood up for Elvis never knocking him down like his brother and even criticized him for the things he has said. He always thanks God for giving him a chance to meet and be Elvis' step-brother)
That's Alright Elvis - by Scotty Moore (A book mainly about Scotty Moore, but from his perspective of the early days which is nicely done with some really interesting stories. He really loved Elvis, you can feel it when you read it)
Last Train to Memphis & Careless Love (The 1st one was really done very nicely, tons of information, the 2nd one seems to be rushed through not as thorough as the 1st, but both are well worth the money and are very balanced to read)
Revelation from the Memphis Mafia - by Billy Smith, Marty Lacker, & Lamar Fike (If you have to choose from between Elvis What Happened or this one, then this is the one you should get. Written nicely out and has alot of cool lil known tales of Elvis which is really nice to have. The stories are easy to find in the book & you can quickly figure out who they like and who they do not, they really loved Elvis)
Unseen Archives - by Marie Clayton (this book is mainly for the unseen archives, but some if not most of the archives have been seen from other books)
Elvis & Me (Well we get a one sided point of view)
Elvis Unknown Stories Behind the Legend - by Jim Curtin (this book really does live up to its name. If you want to read some cute tales of what Elvis did this book or any book by Jim Curtin is a must)
Elvis A Life in Pictures - by Tim Frew (It is what It is)
The Way It Was - by Follow that Dream (Not as good as I had hoped, the pictures seem to be more like movie stills then actually camera pictures. The CD is nice that comes with the book. The set list of the rehearsals recorded and live concerts is informative which lets us know what is played on which CD and is on which movie the older version or the new special edition)
Flashback - by Follow that Dream (the pictures are nice mostly seen them before of the early days, but the audio CD that comes with the book is really nice. No new information just pictures)
Rockin' Across Texas - by Follow that Dream (Now this is how a book is to be written at least for those at Follow that Dream. Both CD's are cool to have with unreleased live shows from Texas as well as alot of never before seen pictures of Elvis in concert in Texas with alot of commentary on the different concerts which is cool to read)
Writing for the King - by Follow that Dream (if you are interested in just the songs and not the performer then this is a really good book to get. The two CD's really do not go with each other as I would of liked, but the stories of how the writters wrote the songs are cool to read and if they met Elvis how that meeting went was nice also)

Rockin

Theres some books l still haven't got to yet, thanks for posting this List.

e76
09-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Great Book: 'Even Elvis" by Mary Ann Thornton
Mary Ann Thorntons revelations in Even Elvis are absolutly inspiring. The book is a great read for any Elvis fan or anyone that would like to read about someone that just does not give up! The book is about Mary Ann's personal journey to talk to Elvis about his relationship with God. She overcame overwhelming obstacles to get to Elvis, but the story that unfolds when she finally reaches him is absolutely awe inspiring. It will bring chills and tears all at the same time. If you don't have this Elvis book in your collection, don't think twice, it is great! If you would like to contact Mary Ann she is open to communication with Elvis fans. You can contact her at
MaryAnThor@aol.com

thehillbillycat
09-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I love the book call Touched by love

Elvistcbkirch
09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Inside Graceland is written by Nancy Rooks. Not my favorite, but it includes some good details from the scene, where she saw Elvis on the bathroom floor on august 16. Best regards, Martin

rockin
09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I havent read Day by Day, i have seen it around, but is way to expensive. lol
And I do not know if there is any difference between the release of Revelations from the Memphis Mafia. I had heard there wasnt any difference at all, but who knows.

Rockin'

rhythmknights
09-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the list Rockin' Definitely will take you up on some of these!

TheTiger77
09-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Inside Graceland is written by Nancy Rooks. Not my favorite, but it includes some good details from the scene, where she saw Elvis on the bathroom floor on august 16. Best regards, Martin

I have this book as well. If you like to read about the last day then it's very interesting for that exact purpose. This publisher is also my publisher, but don't let that sway you... and i know it wont...:)

I'm always pondering exactly how does a man die right upstairs with people just a stones throw away?

I can't imagine how it would feel to know you heard a thud that day but didn't think it was anything important. Then you find out too late, it was very important after all? Just has to be very devestating!

Trish

Natalie
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
In your own opinion, what books do you feel are the best books written regarding Elvis, his family, his friends and his career?

Which ones would you recommend?

Which ones would you say were a complete waste of time?

Some of the ones I've read...

Guralnick's (who saw fit to make sure his name was the largest text on the cover :lol: )

Elvis, His Life from A - Z

Graceland

Elvis & Me

The Death of Elvis (in progress...)

Hi Vissie I think Elvis from A to Z is one of the best books ever written on Elvis. I call it my "bible" :D It is very informative and is packed full of facts. Which one is your favorite?

meg
09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Great Book: 'Even Elvis" by Mary Ann Thornton
Mary Ann Thorntons revelations in Even Elvis are absolutly inspiring. The book is a great read for any Elvis fan or anyone that would like to read about someone that just does not give up! The book is about Mary Ann's personal journey to talk to Elvis about his relationship with God. She overcame overwhelming obstacles to get to Elvis, but the story that unfolds when she finally reaches him is absolutely awe inspiring. It will bring chills and tears all at the same time. If you don't have this Elvis book in your collection, don't think twice, it is great! If you would like to contact Mary Ann she is open to communication with Elvis fans. You can contact her at
MaryAnThor@aol.com

Another fairytale book(n)(n)(n)(n)

Natalie
09-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I think you might be right Meg. I brought a book a couple of months back and I think It might be one of the "fairy tale" ones... There are so many out there isn't there? Check out this site. I think it has just about every book on Elvis ever written
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/bookpubl.html

Burning_Love
09-23-2007, 12:38 PM

It is huge...but it's very thorough, i loved it !

Natalie
09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Since "fairy tale" books have been mentioned Is there one fake book that stands out?? I will get the ball rolling and say "Are you Lonsome tonight" By Lucy De Barbin.

*LittleSister1981*
09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I have only read Elvis and Me and Elvis By The Presleys so farand of I didn't like some of the things that Cilla wrote(n)
I really want to get Careless Love and Last Train To Memphis,also I would love to read J.Shilling's book,I will let u all know, what I thought of the books when I read them.;)

Suzan
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Since "fairy tale" books have been mentioned Is there one fake book that stands out?? I will get the ball rolling and say "Are you Lonsome tonight" By Lucy De Barbin.

I agree! lol

Here's another:

Is Elvis Alive
by Gail Brewer-Giorgio
June 1988

Suzan
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Your not alone in your sentiments littlesister.:(

Getlo
09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I love the book call Touched by love

Complete fiction, unfortunately ...

"Dear Elvis ... Dear Karen ..."

Never happened.

But as a fairytale, I've read worse. And the 1980 movie about it was ok.

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I'd enjoy hearing what you think of it Ksimms ;) Happy reading! (y)

So far Vissie I really like it. It's neat hearing things from their perspective...and sometimes Billy will remember it differently than the others or vice versa. Also, did you notice there are some things in there that we discuss on here - but they have the real version? Like him shooting the TV and why, etc. I am enjoying it so far very much. That Vernon Presley was a scoundrel wasn't he? Gave Elvis a fun for his money when it came to the ladies.....lol....

rhythmknights
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I picked up Jerry Schilling's book over the weekedn. I have a huge paper to do & I've been avoiding it - successfully I might add. Me & a guy named Elvis was quick l& easy to read. But I'm getting a sense that all thise guys were in a race to show who Elvis loved most - pick me, pick me! Really did enjoy the book, tho. Lot of cute stories, the difficult facts were kinda - well let's just say they were presented with great care. I'm in search of :

"ksimms2
So far Vissie I really like it. It's neat hearing things from their perspective...and sometimes Billy will remember it differently than the others or vice versa. Also, did you notice there are some things in there that we discuss on here - but they have the real version? Like him shooting the TV and why, etc. I am enjoying it so far very much. "

Seems like this one should be interesting!

presley31
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Inside graceland was a great book too.

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes I'm looking for "Inside Graceland" now.....definately want that one. Yes I enjoyed Jerry Schillings book very much...he viewed things differently than the other members of the MM.

torpor97
09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
i have and read elvis unseen archives/ elvis the man and his music/ child bride / careless love / elvis the secret files/ if i can dream/elvis the final years/are you lonesome tonight/elvis and me/elvis/in the twilght of memory/ elvis we love you tender/elvis by jerry hopkins/elvis and the memphis mafia/the death of elvis what really happend/ elvis presley speaks/is elvis alive/ the private elvis/ elvis why wont thay leave you alone/ up and down with elvis presley / my life with elvis by beck yancey / orion/Elvis by Albert Goldma/Elvis What Happened/Elvis by the Presley's/

Did you like all of these and which ones are your fav.?

KPM
09-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Complete fiction, unfortunately ...

"Dear Elvis ... Dear Karen ..."

Never happened.

But as a fairytale, I've read worse. And the 1980 movie about it was ok.

I know the movie was fictionalized- but it is not without basis he did send a few letters and pictures to this girl and her nurse. The girl did respond to Elvis and his music and some correspondence took place. How much of the story was "fictionallized" is open to debate
The movie, Touched By Love, was based on the book To Elvis, With Love. Lena Canada's now very rare memoir tells the powerful, true story of Lena's friendship and love for Karen, the young girl crippled and dying from the effects of cerebral palsy. It is also the story of the power that Elvis holds for many people. In Karen's case the exchange of letters and gifts between Elvis and her bring incredible joy and happiness to the remainder of her greatly shortened life.

The story takes place on the outskirts of Stockholm in Sweden where Lena Canada works as a nurse in what is called the 'Brown House': 'a charming, old-fashioned building, which, thanks to its size, gave an impression of majestic dignity.' The house had been carefully converted into a boarding school-hospital and was home to twenty physically handicapped children.

It was while working in the Brown House that Lena formed a very special bond with the child only referred to by her Christian name, Karen. It was a bond that would bring great joy and sadness. The horrendous physical disability facing the children is vividly represented in the author's narrative.

About Karen, Lena Canada wrote: 'She was a small child, and the spastic contractions of her skinny body made her appear grotesque and horrifying.' Despite its depressing parts, To Elvis, With Love is a story of hope and inspiration. From the first time Karen speaks to the incredible fun she and Lena have, this book will touch your heart.

The effect of Elvis on both Karen and Lena's lives is strikingly told: 'Elvis regarded us from the record cover. His eyes seemed to see what was happening between Karen and me, and his eyes understood; they seemed to overflow with pity and compassion.'

As with the film version, Elvis does not feature in the book until the story is well set. It also more adequately explains (than does the movie) how Elvis and Karen came to have a regular exchange of letters and gifts. Lena had come across the name of a Hollywood correspondent with close links to Elvis and contacted her with Karen's sad story.

When the correspondence started, Elvis gave Karen a special address to write to, an address that by-passed his secretaries and came directly to him. While the Hollywood correspondent is not named it would not be unrealistic to surmise that it was either May Mann or Rona Barrett, both of whom had strong links with Elvis' camp in the late 1950's and throughout the 1960s.

As the story progresses and Karen receives more and more letters and gifts from Elvis the viewer really begins to appreciate the incredible power Elvis has and it is uplifting to see its positive effect on a young, crippled girl missing things that the majority of us take for granted. Following Karen's death Lena Canada moved to California. It took her several years to overcome the pain and sense of loss she felt. While in California Lena would drive past Elvis's home on Perugia Way. On one occasion Elvis pulled up along side her at a set of traffic lights and smiled. Before Lena could say anything the lights had changed and Elvis disappeared into the distance on his large Harley-Davidson.

Diane
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I've been wanting to buy that book. Fictional or not, it sounds like a very good read.

Diane

TheTiger77
09-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Fiction or no. It is a good story and i have read that book as well. I'd like to believe i'ts based on a partly true story atleast as it's very touching.

Some times it's just nice to dream of him moving amungst us again. Living, dreaming, loving and helping others. If i can do that from time to time and the story is good, then i'm usually a pretty happy little dreamer!

But i realise that is not everyones cup of tea.
Trish

Natalie
09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
I've been wanting to buy that book. Fictional or not, it sounds like a very good read.

Diane

I have the movie on DVD. Its a really good movie:D

Elvistcbkirch
09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Dear Kimms: You can buy Inside Graceland on Amazon. Best regards, Martin

jatta-tcb
09-25-2007, 10:41 AM
yesterday I got "Elvis, what happened?" which I bought in Ebay. I haven't started it yet.. I think at first I will start reading to "Me and a guy named Elvis"...
last weekend I finished "Elvis the final years"..well.. it think it was fine. But a bit sad to read..well.. I don't recommend it.

Lisarose
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I have this book as well. If you like to read about the last day then it's very interesting for that exact purpose. This publisher is also my publisher, but don't let that sway you... and i know it wont...:)

I'm always pondering exactly how does a man die right upstairs with people just a stones throw away?

I can't imagine how it would feel to know you heard a thud that day but didn't think it was anything important. Then you find out too late, it was very important after all? Just has to be very devestating!

Trish
Wow! I never thought about it in that way. That would have devasted me! And not just 'right upstairs' either. Wasn't Ginger in the bedroom?

Touched By Love, was that the name of the book & the movie? I'll have to search for those. I like reading warm, fuzzy books. I gave up reading "The Final Years", maybe I'll pick it up after awhile. I received Race, Rock & Elvis. I've skimmed it & I think I'll enjoy reading this one.

Getlo
09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I know the movie was fictionalized- but it is not without basis he did send a few letters and pictures to this girl and her nurse.

And has anybody actually seen these supposed letters or pictures?

Were they included in the original publication of the book?

Rover
09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
woah woah woah...where do I start? I haven't been an Elvis fan for very long (if I told you, you'd be laughing...ok, I'll tell you: 1 week), what would you adivse me to read first? "The complete *****'s guide to Elvis" sounds like a good title for a newbie, anyone has read it? :)

Getlo
09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
woah woah woah...where do I start? I haven't been an Elvis fan for very long (if I told you, you'd be laughing...ok, I'll tell you: 1 week), what would you adivse me to read first? "The complete *****'s guide to Elvis" sounds like a good title for a newbie, anyone has read it? :)

Start with Guralnick's two volumes, Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love.

Then maybe Jerry Hopkins' Elvis.

Lisarose
09-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Quote:
07-15-2006, 02:10 PM Elvislennon2004

" I am surprise that no one has told about the book "To Elvis, With Love". I think this is the most important book to get of Elvis. It is based on a true story about Karen Brown who was a young child who had cerebral palsy. Her whole life she was in a home for disabled children. All attempts to reach her failed. But then, a young nurse's aide, Lena Canada becomes deeply involved in Karen's rehabilitation. Over protests from doctors, Lena devotes herself to drawing the child out of her shell. Eventually Karen finds an outlet for her suppressed emotions through a surprising pen-pal - Elvis Presley. He send her gifts and they wrote back to each other. Elvis was going to visit her but she passed away, they never met. Sadden over the lost Elvis took time from his life to go to her funeral.

Karen Brown was only 10 years old when she died but she found the love she ever needed from Elvis.

I think you need to read this book or watch the movie Touched By Love, which is based on that book. Both are very hard to come by anymore.

Karen Brown (1953-1963)

The letters that she wrote to Elvis was displayed at Graceland but I never been there. I have friends who saw those letters there about 10 years ago. I don't know if they are still displayed or not."

Copied this from a previous thread, trying to expand my list on EP books. so has anyone seen these letters at Graceland? Are they still on display? Am still searching for this book.

Getlo
09-27-2007, 06:55 AM
The letters that she wrote to Elvis was displayed at Graceland but I never been there. I have friends who saw those letters there about 10 years ago. I don't know if they are still displayed or not."

Have been there twice: recently and in the 80s. The letters were not there.

Unfortunately, these supposed letters have not been mentioned by any reliable source. While Elvis may have written the girl one or two notes, I think the whole story is exaggerated. And if the letters were written prior to '63, I find it hard to believe they would've been kept.

The phrase "based on a true story" has a lot of leeway for movies and such ...

Suzan
09-27-2007, 07:57 AM
I've not ever seen the letters at Graceland either...I was there right after it opened and Ive had friends who go every year never made mention of those letters, nor have the archives ever said they had them.????

I made a list few pages back of books I have, I don't know if I remembered to include "Elvis Inc." I found it very interesting.
But I have to agree, Guralnick's books are a must, including day by day.

I have to ask though, didn't he have her flown to a show of his?

Presley31 am interested on your take of the book "Inside Graceland" what is your favorite part? I'm thinking of getting this one and am not sure if it's worth it?????? I've read excerpts...

Suzan
10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I forgot to include (I think?) in my list of books "My Life With Elvis" Becky Yancey and "Elvis my Dad"...

torpor97
10-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I forgot to include (I think?) in my list of books "My Life With Elvis" Becky Yancey and "Elvis my Dad"...

Elvis my Dad, was that written by Lisa?

KPM
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
And has anybody actually seen these supposed letters or pictures?

Were they included in the original publication of the book?
Well I have never seen them if thats what you're asking.
But I know in the publishing industry the editors would have wanted proof that some kind that relationship had occurred.(whatever that may have been) They published it as "non fiction" so logically they and their lawyers must have felt comfortable in doing so. Is everything which gives a positive spin to Elvis-suspect? Is everything which spins the negatives-total unadorned 100% truth? I am inclined to believe no on both counts.

Getlo
10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Is everything which gives a positive spin to Elvis-suspect?

Not at all. But Touched By Love is pure fiction.

KPM
10-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Not at all. But Touched By Love is pure fiction.
I don't know that, explain how you do know that and perhaps I'll change my mind.
I know no editor nor publisher would knowingly publish as non fiction-something with no proof of any kind-they have legal departments to make sure.

Elvis'Darlin
10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I've read many Elvis books (at least 15) and think that all of them give a little more insight into the man (even the Goldman one)... he was truly talented, gorgeous, generous, complex, lovable, loved to laugh, at times a little mean, but always ELVIS! You've got to love him!

I have read that Goldman was a big fan and wrote the book for sales! Don't know how true that is.

Diane
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Torpor, I have the book Elvis My Dad and it is not written by Lisa - it's an unauthorized biography.

Diane

jatta-tcb
10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
My book collection is grown again.. I have got "My life with Elvis" by Becky Yancey and Elvis "We love you tender" by Dee Presley.,
are they worth to read??

Stryx
10-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't know that, explain how you do know that and perhaps I'll change my mind.
I know no editor nor publisher would knowingly publish as non fiction-something with no proof of any kind-they have legal departments to make sure.

Priscillas book made it out of the printing press! And George Klein's one can be put up beside Dan Brown's!!

Diane
10-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I haven't read My Life with Elvis Yadee, but I do have Elvis We Love You Tender and you will really dislike the Stanleys after reading it. Dee Stanley has some very slanted views on Elvis.

Read everything you can get your hands on and make up your own mind about what is said. That's my recommendation anyway.

Diane

Stryx
10-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I haven't read My Life with Elvis Yadee, but I do have Elvis We Love You Tender and you will really dislike the Stanleys after reading it. Dee Stanley has some very slanted views on Elvis.

Read everything you can get your hands on and make up your own mind about what is said. That's my recommendation anyway.

Diane

Dee fancied Elvis not Vernon. Shes a bitter old witch and Elvis played her like a violin when Vernon finally got ride of her, he just turned on the charm even though he hated her guts.

Suzan
10-02-2007, 05:13 AM
I don't know if you saw my list Yadee but I think all of them are worth reading.:) I thought there were some good parts in the Stanley's books, and even though I don't think Becky Yancey was as close as she likes to portray, it to is worth the read.
No "Elvis my Dad" wasn't written by Lisa, it is an unauthorized bio, mostly stories taken from tabs, etc...written by 2 journalist's.:)

torpor97
10-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Torpor, I have the book Elvis My Dad and it is not written by Lisa - it's an unauthorized biography.

Diane

Thanks Diane. Would you recomend it?

Rhinestone
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
My book collection is grown again.. I have got "My life with Elvis" by Becky Yancey and Elvis "We love you tender" by Dee Presley.,
are they worth to read??

Yancy's book is a terrific read....it gives the reader insight into the day to day goings-on at Graceland, along with other interesting tidbits of information. I spoke with Becky recently...she's a wonderful lady who remains loyal to Elvis and his memory.

I didn't like Elvis We Love Tender by Dee and her boys. In my opinion, the only reason to read that would be to get an inkling of what makes Dee tick.

Rhinestone
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM

Diane

Excellent recommendation, Diane.

LianaKaralivanou
10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I only read "Elvis & me" by Priscilla and "Elvis by the Presleys". They were both interesting but most I enjoyed the pictures in "Elvis by the Presleys".

Diane
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes I would recommend the book Elvis My Dad Torpor. As with all of them I don't think the whole truth is there but I found it a good read. Doesn't always portrait Lisa in the best light but just take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Diane

KPM
10-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Priscillas book made it out of the printing press! And George Klein's one can be put up beside Dan Brown's!!
Well obviously Priscillas book was about "her life with Elvis" as she saw it and as she remembered it. I think any publisher would not have a problem with that. It has as much truth as most the other ones which have been written but "from her perspective" Some want the truth as they see it and only as they see it-that would not necessarily be her perspective. Since I never spent one minute alone with Elvis (I presume she did) I would say she has a perspective I do not. Same with George Klein who knew Elvis before most people who have written books on him.
But as for the book by the nurse-I have already stated the movie was fictionalized and the disclaimer is "it is based on true incidents" Now I am assuming there is some truth to it.
The books which portray Elvis in a positive light are immediatly suspect with some -that is curious to me. Does that say some feel Elvis did nothing positive? That his negatives have overshadowed any good he may have done? That he could never have written a note or letter which others are not aware of? Curious indeed.

May
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
The Fall and Rise of the Presley Empire