PDA

View Full Version : Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii

Vissie
09-15-2007, 02:24 PM
I've been watching and re-watching this fabulous concert footage. How incredible it must've been to have been there in the audience! He was commanding, powerful and in masterful vocal form.

I simply love this concert. I prefer the 70s Elvis and this performance truly showcases the King. When he sings "You Gave Me A Mountain" I just sit there in awe of his amazing talent.

Share with me.. what was your favorite part of this magnificent performance? What is your favorite song? How did you feel when you first saw it?

marijaep
09-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I've been watching and re-watching this fabulous concert footage. How incredible it must've been to have been there in the audience! He was commanding, powerful and in masterful vocal form.

I simply love this concert. I prefer the 70s Elvis and this performance truly showcases the King. When he sings "You Gave Me A Mountain" I just sit there in awe of his amazing talent.

Share with me.. what was your favorite part of this magnificent performance? What is your favorite song? How did you feel when you first saw it?

Vissie,

That is my favorite Elvis concert :clap:
I became a fan with watching this wonderful performance on TV....and fell in love :wub::blush:
The whole concert is fabulous but I must say that "An American Trilogy" and "I'll Remember You" are my favorite moments :D
I also love his version of "Something" in it, simply amazing :D
I like the fact that he was a little bit nervous at the start, it shows how much he cared about his performance.
Plus..He looks so GOOOOOOOD in it :clap::blush: - the jumpsuit is great too...
Perrrrrrfection...lol

Marija

toffe
09-15-2007, 04:45 PM
This is a Great concert (y)
First time I saw it, I was amazed how great it was...The hole concert it just Awesome, But An American Trilogy, Big hunk O` love are great :blush:

my boy
09-15-2007, 04:48 PM
The Aloha concert is one of my all-tme favourites too.So many great songs it's hard to pick just one:"CC Rider","Burning Love","Steamroller Blues,""My Way,"" Love Me","American Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" are my favourites,the way Elvis opens up his voice at the end of each song on "Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" is mindblowing!

In addition the rehearsal concert is superb too."CC Rider" is slightly faster and "Burning Love" features great James Burton guitar licks.
"Hound Dog" is rocking with funky wah-wah guitar and "Suspicious minds" has a great ending with the King showing us a karate stance.

Finally, "Fever" is a terrific version and a real highlight - plus an amazing "What Now My Love" and rocking "Big Hunk 'O' Love"and the added bonus of the magnificent American eagle cape in all its glory [can't wait to see this on BLU-RAY/HD DVD when released some time in the future].

:clap::clap::clap:

Vissie
09-15-2007, 04:53 PM
[can't wait to see this on BLU-RAY/HD DVD when released some time in the future]

:clap::clap::clap:

I'll bet that is going to be amazing! (y) :king:

alstrada
09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
"IT'S OVER"

Great !!!!

rocknroll
09-15-2007, 05:22 PM
He looked great, and Burning Love and Steamroller are probably the best live versions he did of these songs. However, the rest of the concert lacks energy and his voice was better the year before and the following year.

Vissie
09-15-2007, 05:33 PM
"IT'S OVER"

Great !!!!

I agree alstrada... what a fabulous performance! (y) :king: (y)

Tony Trout
09-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I love "Aloha From Hawaii"....but (and I don't mean to turn this into a debate so please don't take it that way) I think the show was way too "ballad-heavy" and we really didn't get to see the "rocking" side of Elvis as we did during "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour".

It's a great show....but could've been better.....

marijaep
09-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I love "Aloha From Hawaii"....but (and I don't mean to turn this into a debate so please don't take it that way) I think the show was way too "ballad-heavy" and we really didn't get to see the "rocking" side of Elvis as we did during "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour".

It's a great show....but could've been better.....

Hey Tony :D,

Yes the show was full with ballads hehe, i agree, but that's not a bad thing :D:D:D..according to me. He wanted to show his vocal ability, i think...and he did it right :clap:

elvisia
09-15-2007, 08:12 PM
It`s a long time since I`ve done it, but when I`ve had the time to watch DVD`s the whole day long, I always watch Aloha as the last one......hey, now you think it`s because I think it`s the least...he,he, but NO...simpely because after watching it, I always get that feeling...wow, nothing can be watched right after....love to enjoy that wow feeling for a while.

Elvisia

medleyofcostumes
09-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I know many would disagree, but personally I don't find the Aloha from Hawaii amusing. I'm glad we have it on dvd and I watch it occasionally, but I think it is inferior to both TTWII and On Tour. Elvis is too much tense, forgets lyrics to some songs and is static on stage. Look at Elvis' face as he is to start the second line of 'Burning Love'. He is afraid he will mess up the lyrics like he did on the 12th at the rehearsal show. Ok - he was singing before a billion people via satellite - granted. But for me the show lacks energy.

I prefer a loose Elvis - joking, laughing with the band members and audience (if you hear many FTD releases you will notice this) than to have a structured show which is almost mechanical.

KPM
09-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I actually think "What Now My Love" is one of the greatest performances he ever gave-the range involved is pretty wide and he nails the ending.

Diane
09-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Aloha wasn't my favorite for the same reason Tony mentioned - I missed the lack of "Elvis" energy too. I did feel he looked wonderful though and when I think of that concert, the song that comes to mind is American Trilogy.

Diane

thehillbillycat
09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
The original set list for Aloha would of been more of a rocking side of Elvis. I believe the changed set list was because of the fact of That's The Way It Is, Elvis On Tour and Madison Square Garden LP are rocking styles and really didn't feature the other sides of Elvis. They all featured a rocking side of Elvis. I believe he wanted to see if he can do a non rocking show and have a show that feature his many other sides of him. Think about this - Elvis sung many types of songs. Now he was going to be live via satillite so what better way to show the world there is more to him than a rocking side. He pulled it off beautifully too. I would say this is my favorite concert of them all.

SeeSeeRider777
09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
It was a great concert but I think that this would have been a great list in my opinion.

1.) Intro- Also Sprach Zarathustra
2.) See See Rider
3.) I Got a Woman/ Amen
4.) Thats All Right
5.) Something
6.) It's Impossible
7.) Johnny B.
8.) My Way
9.) Burning Love
10.) You Dont Have to Say You Love Me
11.) The Wonder of You
12.) Hound Dog
13.) For The Good Times
14.) Steamroller Blues
15.) Teddy Bear
16.) All Shook Up
17.) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
18.) An American Trilogy
19.) Intros
20.) I'll Remember You
21.) Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shaking
22.) Cant Help Falling in Love

That is the show that I would have liked to seen.

toffe
09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
That`s a great song-list, but why the Intros nearly when the show is ending?
I have always wondered that, why the Intros was at the end part of the shows in the 70`s, and not in the middle ?

Suzan
09-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I have to agree w/Tony as well.:):D
I did love the show, however, I much prefer TTWII.:D:D
"It's Over" is my favorite out of the Aloha performances.

desiree
09-16-2007, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=my boy;138416]The Aloha concert is one of my all-tme favourites too.So many great songs it's hard to pick just one:"CC Rider","Burning Love","Steamroller Blues,""My Way,"" Love Me","American Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" are my favourites,the way Elvis opens up his voice at the end of each song on "Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" is mindblowing!

QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it any better!!!(y)(y)

thehillbillycat
09-16-2007, 12:34 PM
It was a great concert but I think that this would have been a great list in my opinion.

1.) Intro- Also Sprach Zarathustra
2.) See See Rider
3.) I Got a Woman/ Amen
4.) Thats All Right
5.) Something
6.) It's Impossible
7.) Johnny B.
8.) My Way
9.) Burning Love
10.) You Dont Have to Say You Love Me
11.) The Wonder of You
12.) Hound Dog
13.) For The Good Times
14.) Steamroller Blues
15.) Teddy Bear
16.) All Shook Up
17.) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
18.) An American Trilogy
19.) Intros
20.) I'll Remember You
21.) Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shaking
22.) Cant Help Falling in Love

That is the show that I would have liked to seen.

The original set list for Aloha included songs like:
I Got A Woman/Amen
Polk Salad Annie
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
For The Good Times
and a few others.

When I saw the songs that was originally going to be performed at Aloha I didn't like it too much. It was a basic list that you see during 1972. Yes, the concerts were great during that time but I think it was time for some change for the worldwide telecast.

Tony Trout
09-16-2007, 02:12 PM
The set list for "Aloha" was changed simply due to the fact that RCA had just released "Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" the year before and they didn't want Aloha to be a "repeat" performance of the same kind.

boogie
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
What Now My Love... absolutely TOP

Joe Car
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
He nailed song after song in this special, and put on a singing clinic. The man sang for over a billion people worldwide, anybody else wouldn't be able to speak, let alone sing at the level he did! It is not the same situation as in TTWII, that was 3 years earlier, and the greatest entertainer that ever lived, was on another planet, completely untouchable on stage, truly at his peak. The Aloha was like the Superbowl of concerts, just get the job done, and that he did, under immense pressure. Millions of people became fans of Elvis, due to this special.

TLC67
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Man I would give just about anything to have been on stage somewhere....anywhere....just for a few minutes during An American Trilogy...just as the drums start rolling.........AWESOME!

King_Creole
09-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I actually think "What Now My Love" is one of the greatest performances he ever gave-the range involved is pretty wide and he nails the ending.

What a passionate, compelling performance !!!

Great reply KPM !!! (y)

King_Creole
09-16-2007, 08:00 PM
The set list for "Aloha" was changed simply due to the fact that RCA had just released "Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" the year before and they didn't want Aloha to be a "repeat" performance of the same kind.

This is true and also factor in the time constraints that needed the show to extended for the 90 minute broadcast on April 4, 11973 to America !!!

I wish Elvis had kept Little Sister in the concert !