PDA

View Full Version : Performance question

Vissie
09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
A little while ago, the guy on Sirius was talking about a performance Elvis was doing when he had to leave abruptly because he was ill. From what I could catch, Elvis went to a hospital(?) and then told his handlers that he needed to get back and finish the tour (in that city).

Does anyone have anymore information on this please? When/where was it? What was ailing him?

I would appreciate hearing more details ~ thank you (y)

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
A little while ago, the guy on Sirius was talking about a performance Elvis was doing when he had to leave abruptly because he was ill. From what I could catch, Elvis went to a hospital(?) and then told his handlers that he needed to get back and finish the tour (in that city).

Does anyone have anymore information on this please? When/where was it? What was ailing him?

I would appreciate hearing more details ~ thank you (y)

He's probably referring to the show in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977 when Elvis had to leave the stage (and I apologize beforehand for the quote) to "answer the call of nature" and he had Charlie do group introductions and the Stamps and Kathy Westmoreland did a few songs until Elvis returned onstage nearly thirty minutes later and finished the show....

By all accounts I've read, Elvis was just plain sick and tired of everything by 1973 and you can hear his displeasure during some of the songs recorded during the Stax sessions in July and December of that year.

He should never have been onstage that night in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977 at all....or any night that year....his *** needed to be in a hospital getting the help he so badly needed....but he was blind to the drug problem and didn't think he had a problem.....

KPM
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
When he returned did'nt he make the comment about having several banana splits before he came on stage? I recall reading Rolling Stone the next month in which this incident was mentioned in there current news column.

Vissie
09-14-2007, 05:58 PM
He's probably referring to the show in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977 when Elvis had to leave the stage (and I apologize beforehand for the quote) to "answer the call of nature" and he had Charlie do group introductions and the Stamps and Kathy Westmoreland did a few songs until Elvis returned onstage nearly thirty minutes later and finished the show....

By all accounts I've read, Elvis was just plain sick and tired of everything by 1973 and you can hear his displeasure during some of the songs recorded during the Stax sessions in July and December of that year.

He should never have been onstage that night in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977 at all....or any night that year....his *** needed to be in a hospital getting the help he so badly needed....but he was blind to the drug problem and didn't think he had a problem.....

Tony, thanks so much for sharing this story with me. It does sound like the performance the DJ was talking about.

I agree that he should have been getting help :( The poor guy must've been miserable :(