PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the difference between the old and the young Elvis fans ?

ricardo b. prospero
09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I would consider myself as a senior Elvis fan because of my age and the long years I have been a fan. I was wondering what could be the most significant differences of the old and the young generations of Elvis fans particularly how they maintain their being a fan, common activities they engaged with involving Elvis. Is there more loyal old fans than the young ones?:hmm:

TurnpikeTaylor
09-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I have noticed here in the UK that for the oldtimers, the Elvis thing is often a very social way of life with Elvis discos etc The older fans are less inclined to buy releases like the FTD`s (though they may well buy a cheap cdr copy).

And i have noticed a lot of the younger fans seem to prefer the 70`s Elvis, and they buy releases like the FTD cd`s, and laugh at some of the oldtimers at their Elvis discos wearing their very baggy Elvis t-shirts.

KPM
09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I guess I am an oldtimer-been a fan for 45 years I think because I watched it as it happened maybe I am a little more understanding on some things. If you can recall the times, the circumstances, the way of life during those years it must give you a better understanding of some things. I think younger fans naturally have a huge amount of energy which they can put into whatever they are interested in. I hope they continue to enjoy and listen to Elvis and not outgrow or tire of him.

Jailhouse-Rocker
09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
wooo well i'm 16 so i guess that makes me a young fan, eh!? and i put all my energy into my interest of Elvis :D i'm not going to outgrow him anytime soon! if ever! once you've listened to Elvis, you just can't go back! :D and bloomin hell i don't want to! :lmfao: my engaging activities about Elvis are solely on this site because no-one else i know at school / my age (save for Danielle) likes him. I think we are equally loyal, even though older fans have liked him longer. :D and i prefer 50's Elvis (just thought i'd put that in)

Awickedreigndrop
09-15-2007, 04:38 AM
I'll be turning 26 on the 26th and I've been an Elvis fan for 21 of those years. Idk if there's much difference between the older and younger fans. But I think the older fans are lucky because most of them lived during Elvis' lifetime. Getting to see him live and perhaps meeting him. I think the younger fans can be just as dedicated to Elvis as the older ones are. If I was born just four years earlier......:'(

rhythmknights
09-15-2007, 04:48 AM
Not as young as Jailhouse-Rocker, but kinda young - looking forward to 23 soon, anyway, Mom introduced us to Elvis as small kids. We would watch the Elvis movies on TV & she found Clambake & Blue Hawaii on Video and we'd watch them all the time. I like his older music, but the stuff you don't hear all the time - like Mess of Blues, Feel so Bad, songs like that. There's overkill on the oldie stations - Don't be cruel, hounddog, Jailhouse Rock - just my opinion, don't anybody come after me! LOL & I love the 70's stuff - Wearing That Loved On Look, Guitar Man, Moody Blue, Next Step is Love. I don't buy a lot of stuff, I do have a large collection of cd's - well on my limited budget it seems large - it's probably quite small compared to some of ya'lls! (I hope to inherit Mom's collection!:blush:)
I started collecting the Elvis cards because my baby brother started me on them.
Except for this site, I don't get to discuss Elvis because not many of my friends are into him like I am, most don't diss him in front of me - the only comments I get from people my age is 'oh yeah, he died on the pot, right?' Then of course, I have to educate them about Elvis or "oh, you like Elvis?" which is kidspeak for 'just making conversation, I'm really not interested!' :hmm:, I really got into this topic!

Suzan
09-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Good ?...hmmm
I have been a fan since the age of 3 when Elvis was "introduced" to me by my parents...I am now 40, and my love of the man has grown even more, I have majority of my Presley collection from my parents and have continued to add to it from age 14...and it is showing no sign of ebbing. lol
I really don't know what the differences are, other then perhaps we (older) fans may see him more as a human being and remember when he was alive, and the stories that were coming out, the good things and not hearing any of the bad...that type thing. As for the energy, well I think the "older" fans can be just as energetic...lol
Just my 2 cents. lol

*Natalie
09-15-2007, 07:25 AM
]The only difference is the the older ones have been around when he was alive.. I love elvis just like any other fan young or old ..love has no age, feeling has no age, nothing has no age (oh i am 26...) I like the 70's elvis because i feel the music he was performing had more meaning ( to me) So i dont think there's a difference at all

Suzan
09-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Well said Natalie :D:D
I too much prefer the 70's music, I think his voice was better and def the songs had more meaning.LOL

Burning_Love
09-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, being a 16 year old Elvis fan...I think i am a young one ! Anyway, i prefer Elvis within the 50's and early 1960's and 1969.
I love him because there is something about him, don't ask me what, but my life is ELVIS...ask my parents LOL. Elvis is MY kind of music, doesn't mean every other young person my age should like it, we are individuals and thats what makes us so special.
I have my own youtube page and website about Elvis (below) and they too, are my life.

Danielle x

marijaep
09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi :D
I'm 15 and loooooooooooooove Elvis ! :P :clap:
The difference...well, being a member on this forum showed me that there is not such big difference between young and old fans :D
And as everyone before me said : The only thing that's different is that the older fans were there when he was alive.

By the way......: I prefer the 70s ;)

medleyofcostumes
09-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I think that older fans grew with Elvis gradually buying the albums as they were released, watching a movie as it was in the cinema. They had more time to digest Elvis' material and having the exitement of buying a new Elvis' album. In my case, (I'm 30yrs old), I built up the whole collection of official albums and films in less than 2 years. I overdosed on Elvis' songs. I think if I bought 2, 3 albums a year, I would have loved certain songs / movies more.

Being a not so old fan, I had the opportunity to have lots of information including pictures of Elvis during the concert years, which I think was not available in the 70's particularly outside the USA. I have a couple of magazines from around 1976 and still showing pictures from 1972!

Finally, older fans had the shock of hearing of Elvis' death first hand, which is very sad.

ricardo b. prospero
09-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Thanks for taking interest in this topic. I believe the young and the old Elvis fans really have nothing significant differences except their ages but certainly all of us young and old love Elvis and that is the common denominator.

G-Man
09-16-2007, 02:54 AM
I am 38 now have been a Elvis fan since i was about 9 yrs. old. The biggest difference i see in the older Elvis fan's is that they got to live through Elvis's time and see when it all began back in the 1950's. I am glad that i can't remember when Elvis passed away i was only 8 when that very sad day was here. But i feel for all the older fan's that had to witness that sad day and my fav. songs by Elvis were probably from the mid-1960's and the 1970's the best take care all Elvis fan's Gerald!!

ilovelvis
09-16-2007, 04:39 AM
And i have noticed a lot of the younger fans seem to prefer the 70`s Elvis

I too would be a "senior" Elvis fan (nice way of putting it, Ricardo! ). I agree with Turnpike Taylor that a lot of the Elvis fans I have met on message boards like the 70's Elvis. When I was growing up in the late 60's and early 70's, people seemed to go for the pre Army Elvis. I always enjoyed all of Elvis' music, but I especially loved the 70's Elvis because that's what was going on at the time. I love hearing that the younger fans enjoy the 70's Elvis.

Also, for this older Elvis fan, I followed his new releases as they came out when I was growing up. Now, 30 years later, we are inundated with new releases that have the same old songs, and newly remastered versions of everything, I find it very frustrating. I have a few of the FTD cds, but the price of them irritates me so I only buy what I really want. My thinking is, the stuff wasn't released in the first place for a reason. But they just keep on putting it out there. I like the idea of remix singles such as A Little Less Conversation and Rubberneckin'. As long as they don't go too wacky on the song, I'd love an entire album of Elvis remixes. I buy some of the new releases here and there, and I consider myself picky. I don't have the money, time or inclination to keep up on the latest Elvis release with the same old songs on them. I guess it's great for the younger fans, but I miss the old days when Elvis put 1 or 2 albums out a year....with NEW music on them!!

ricardo b. prospero
09-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Iloveelvis, I believe you made a good observation and I feel the same as you do . I really missed the jukebox days when you always hear Elvis song played over and over again. The good old days when we have the 45rpm and 331/2rpm records and the daily top ten count down on the radio with Elvis songs on top. I believe one thing that the current Elvis fans is missing is the real excitement and expectation for every single or long playing record released containing of course new and different songs. Unlike today with the modern technology things have tremendously changed so much that left very little for excitement.

EP75
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I think the difference between young fans and older fans is the taste in music and styles today from yesterday. For instance-most younger fans are for change and the remixes etc. Most older fans want everything to stay simple and plain and original and less attractable. I understand their side as I do the younger side. I will be 35 in 2 weeks and I consider myself among the younger crowd. The reason isn't necessarily my age but my attitude. I don't look 34 at all. Most say I look like I am in my early 20's. I guess I'm blessed. I see things as this generation sees things. If I hadn't grown up and raised on EP then I probably would be as big of a fan as I am today. And because of that I want to see him survive time and live beyond my time even. He's my idol and my hero as he changed the world and I don't want him to ever be forgotten. I smile every time I see a kid at Graceland on TV or see some EP relevance on MTV. It shows he's still loved and admired.

Another example of difference between age is that my dad loves old black and white films. Mostly westerns from the 1940's and beyond. he doesn't care for modern day technology. I'm totally the opposite. I am in love with the technology breakthroughs from HI-Def to 5.1 surround sound. This is why I along with many other young fans are for the coming changes at Graceland to improve and enhance the overall visiting experience. Not to turn EP into a clown or a circus act.

It's extremely important for a new generation to discover and learn about EP. That is Bob Sillerman's master plan.

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Good ?...hmmm
I have been a fan since the age of 3 when Elvis was "introduced" to me by my parents...I am now 40, and my love of the man has grown even more, I have majority of my Presley collection from my parents and have continued to add to it from age 14...and it is showing no sign of ebbing. lol
I really don't know what the differences are, other then perhaps we (older) fans may see him more as a human being and remember when he was alive, and the stories that were coming out, the good things and not hearing any of the bad...that type thing. As for the energy, well I think the "older" fans can be just as energetic...lol
Just my 2 cents. lol

Suzan, you and I are same age and seems became fans around same age too...I was introduced by my grandmother. I love everything Elvis...all his music, love watching his tours on DVD/VHS I love seeing the human part of him....am reading books, etc. Have loads of photo's from ebay, etc. Have my collection of memorabilia as well.....but to me - there is no other. He has always been and always will be my #1.......(y)

Getlo
09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
This is why I along with many other young fans are for the coming changes at Graceland to improve and enhance the overall visiting experience. Not to turn EP into a clown or a circus act.

And EPE has yet to concince me and many "older" fans that these two concepts are not mutually inclusive.

It's extremely important for a new generation to discover and learn about EP. That is Bob Sillerman's master plan.

Oh, Bob ... Bob ... Bob. We get it already. You're a fan of Sillerman and EPE.

EP75
09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
And EPE has yet to concince me and many "older" fans that these two concepts are not mutually inclusive.

Oh, Bob ... Bob ... Bob. We get it already. You're a fan of Sillerman and EPE.
Are you related to King Creole and RockandRoll? Because your sarcasm is beginning to resemble theirs.:angry:

Getlo
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Are you related to King Creole and RockandRoll? Because your sarcasm is beginning to resemble theirs.:angry:

I can assure you, there was absolutely no sarcasm in that last post. :)

It's just that I'm amazed you can turn a thread about the difference between older and younger Elvis fans into another hip-hip-hooray for BS and his cronies ...

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
EP75 - I think Getlo's point is - we have talked this to death and we know you are a big advocate of all the changes....but some of us are not. I'm pretty sure that is what he means....we are beating a dead horse talking about it all the time....forgive me Getlo if I am wrong on this.

Rising Sun
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi there,

Well I'm 15 and so I haven't been an Elvis fan for so long...It must've been about 5 years now (unfortunately I don't know exactly :'() I am a HUGE Elvis fan and I love spending time on him, like here on TCB World. I think that younger fans like me and some others here have a lot in common with older fans. You can love Elvis in many different ways, men might not love him in the same way than many women do;), and I guess there might be fans who are mainly interested in the music and not very much in his life/movies...
But there was only one Elvis and it's the same person we all adore:D
Older fans of course are so lucky to have already been born when Elvis was still alive and some even got the chance to meet him in person or visit his concerts...that's something younger fans like me would give a lot for (even to get the chance to experience seeing him on the news or see one of his movies in the movie-theatre). And IMO the older fans are able to understand life in the earlier years (especially 50s or 60s) better, I mean, everything was different back then, and I try really hard to put myself into life during Elvis' lifetime...I hope you understand what I want to say :'(:D
So all in all I think it doesn't matter whether you're young or old, you can get along with people at all ages, if they're Elvis fans. And a place like this is the best possibility for Elvis fans to get united and get to meet other fans:clap:
By the way, great thread (y)

Rising Sun

marijaep
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi there,

Well I'm 15 and so I haven't been an Elvis fan for so long...It must've been about 5 years now (unfortunately I don't know exactly :'() I am a HUGE Elvis fan and I love spending time on him, like here on TCB World. I think that younger fans like me and some others here have a lot in common with older fans. You can love Elvis in many different ways, men might not love him in the same way than many women do;), and I guess there might be fans who are mainly interested in the music and not very much in his life/movies...
Older fans of course are so lucky to have already been born when Elvis was still alive and some even got the chance to meet him in person or visit his concerts...that's something younger fans like me would give a lot for (even to get the chance to experience seeing him on the news or see one of his movies in the movie-theatre). And IMO the older fans are able to understand life in the earlier years (especially 50s or 60s) better, I mean, everything was different back then, and I try really hard to put myself into life during Elvis' lifetime...I hope you understand what I want to say :'(:D
So all in all I think it doesn't matter whether you're young or old, you can get along with people at all ages, if they're Elvis fans. And a place like this is the best possibility for Elvis fans to get united and get to meet other fans:clap:

Rising Sun

Awwwwwwwwwwww, this was more then sweet :hug:
Linda, you said it right (y)(y)(y)
I hope you are fine, lol , we haven't talked for a long time :supriced:
Marija;)

Diane
09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Linda no one could have said it better. Thank you for your post.(y)

Diane

KPM
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
As I pointed out I am an oldtimer -45 years a fan-I really am not afraid of newer things which might be used to promote Elvis. I realize today the way things are marketed is just the way it is. I also enjoy black and white movies and old TV shows, although now I can view them on a 45 inch screen with surround sound-instead of the small cracker box screens I first saw in the late 50s.
But its not my place to decide any of this, if I don't like something which is altered beyond my taste I just don't support it. For those who like it they can buy it or support it which is fine by me. Thats the free market system.

Rising Sun
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwww, this was more then sweet :hug:
Linda, you said it right (y)(y)(y)
I hope you are fine, lol , we haven't talked for a long time :supriced:
Marija;)

Ty Marija :hug: Yeah, I'm fine, I hope you're too ;)

Linda no one could have said it better. Thank you for your post.(y)

Diane

I'm glad you liked my thoughts (y)

Burning_Love
09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi there,

Rising Sun

In Total and utter agreement there !!

Elvis, is....Elvis, and that's what we all have in common, we all Love him !

:hug:
Danielle

ksimms2
09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
In Total and utter agreement there !!

Elvis, is....Elvis, and that's what we all have in common, we all Love him !

:hug:
Danielle

you girls said it so well, no other way to put it!! (y)