PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Jordainaires are better than the Stamps quartet?t

ricardo b. prospero
09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
In my personal opinion the addition of the Jordainaires as the vocal backing group for Elvis was a perfect chemistry. It seems they were meant for each other like bread and butter. Most of Elvis best selling recordings featured the group and they jelled perfectly in harmony. I also love the Stamps quartet but as the original back up group I believe the Jordainaires is very much part of the Elvis legacy. When you think of Elvis singing you can always imagine that beautiful vocal harmony in the background by this fantastic and well respected group. (y)

jak
09-14-2007, 11:01 AM
The Jordainaires had the advantage of performing with Elvis when he was at his peak.They were involved in some of the greatest recordings ever.It maybe somewhat unfair to compare the two.The Stamps were basically a backing group for concerts .The Stamps were essentially a gospel quartet.Both were good at what they did.
Jak

Dovey
09-14-2007, 11:28 AM
(y)(y) Yep JAK I agree with you, both groups were great in their own way. Elvis was lucky to have such great backup. Dovey;)

The King's Queen
09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
The Jordainaires had the advantage of performing with Elvis when he was at his peak.They were involved in some of the greatest recordings ever.It maybe somewhat unfair to compare the two.The Stamps were basically a backing group for concerts .The Stamps were essentially a gospel quartet.Both were good at what they did.
Jak

Well said jak...I'm in total agreement with you! (y)

T_J
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I prefer the Jords, but that's mainly because of JD's tendency to ruin the end of songs with his tuneless divebombing.

marijaep
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I prefer the Jords, but that's mainly because of JD's tendency to ruin the end of songs with his tuneless divebombing.

I have always thought that JD had a nice deep voice...and I also think that Elvis liked it too :hmm:

Vissie
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I have always thought that JD had a nice deep voice...and I also think that Elvis liked it too :hmm:

Elvis loved JD (according to my friend Nash). And JD thought very highly of Elvis.

Diane
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I would be very hard put to choose one group over the other. I feel both were great in their own way and both complimented Elvis.

Diane

marijaep
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Elvis loved JD (according to my friend Nash). And JD thought very highly of Elvis.

Yes, you are right ;) So...I like JD :D

nashville cat
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Yes, the Jordanaires were better than the Stamps, but the Imperials were better than both.

During the time they worked with Elvis, the Imperials were one of the country's top vocal acts. Check out their albums from the time to understand why.

That being said, the Jordanaires were the top vocal group on recording sessions in Nashville for many years. They have sung on countless hit recordings. The Stamps gave Elvis the big, bombastic sound he was looking for onstage, but they did not have the smoothness on recording sessions like the Jordanaires or the Imps.

ruggishboo
09-14-2007, 04:28 PM
All three groups were very good. The Jordanaires will always be associated with Elvis, they backed him on his biggest records for twelve years, and blended with him very well. The Imperials first worked with Elvis on the How Great Thou Art sessions, with Jake Hess, one of Elvis's favorite singers, leading them. The Imperials changed some personnel by 69 when he went to Vegas, and became a force in contemporary Christian music in the 70's. The Stamps were a powerful force in southern Gospel, and Elvis wanted them only if J.D. sang on the shows as well. J.D. and Elvis had known each other before Elvis had ever gotten famous, and he loved what J.D. could do with his voice. All three groups were great in their right, and I think complemented Elvis well throughout the various stages of his career.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Its The Jordanaires for me.

By the way, does anyone else have trouble listening all the way through JD`s "Why Me Lord"?..................torture sheer torture!

KPM
09-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I have never though about it. I think all 3 groups were excellent. Each at a different stage of his career and at a different point in his musical developement.

Diane
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I love to hear JD sing Why Me Lord. His low rumbling voice even shakes my speakers lol

Diane