PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' View on the Jumpsuits

SeeSeeRider777
09-14-2007, 03:05 AM
What was his view on them?

Gary1
09-14-2007, 03:10 AM
I know i'm stating the obvious.:) But he must have liked them otherwise he wouldn't have worn them for eight years.

SeeSeeRider777
09-14-2007, 03:14 AM
Do you think he wore them b/c the fans liked them, eventhough he might have not liked them?

Gary1
09-14-2007, 03:24 AM
They say he wore them because they gave him room to move around like a Karate Gi.When you look back to 1969-70 they were not big works of art that they would later turn into being.But it was the 70's and everything was flash back then.Personally i think the fans would have gone crazy if Elvis came out on stage in a bathrobe.:)

EDOEP
09-14-2007, 07:35 AM
in the beginning they partly chose it for the flexibility of the material and because elvis wanted an outfit different from the 'standard' black tuxedo that most male entertainers wore.

checkout the interview with designer bill belew in the australian forum:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_bill_belew.shtml

hugs, ellie

The King's Queen
09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
From everything I have found out about the jumpsuits, Elvis couldn't move well in two piece outfits. The shirts would "ride up" on him, due to all of his swift movements...and too, the pants were prone to split....:supriced: :P

rhythmknights
09-14-2007, 05:41 PM
If he had chosen to wear t-shirts & jeans like todays bands, he may have been alright in the moving around area. He chose the jumpsuits for the freedom of movement, He does do a lot of moving about, can't do that in a suit. The jumpsuit thing picked up in the 70's, too. There were other performers wearing them, too. I'm pretty sure they were a fashion getup back then, too. Not one that caught on, to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that some guys put on jumpsuits before hitting the clubs to dance the night away. I remember my friend's dad said he wore jumpsuits back in the late 70's, but only when he & his pals went 'clubbing'. LOL, that word "clubbing' it's just so funny to say!

orwell1976
09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I think it is a big part of the Elvis myth. You just have to picture the shape of a man in a jumpsuit and everybody knows that it's Elvis. It is just like the ears of Mickey Mouse or a man hanging on a cross. Nobody asks who or what that might be. It needs no explanation, everybody knows just what it means.

Even though I cannot understand why Elvis wore those suits in later years (when he switched to two-piece suits during his march engagement at the Hilton he should have stuck to them), they looked different in interesting in the earlier 1970's.

TurnpikeTaylor
09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Why did`nt anyone point out to Elvis the jumpsuits did`nt flatter him after 74? Or maybe Elvis thought he had to wear the jumpsuits, just like he felt he had to sing Hound Dog, Love Me etc

Joe Car
09-14-2007, 07:13 PM
When a person wears a jumpsuit, you have to be in incredible shape, which Elvis was his first few years of his return. Unfortunately, as he put on weight, they became less flattering.

KPM
09-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I recall a story singer Glen Cambell told, he said he went back stage to visit Elvis in Vegas and he told Elvis your jumpsuits are getting a little snug- maybe you got 2 or 3 you want to give me. Elvis supposedly told him "I'm gonna grow back into them" :D

elvis himselvis
09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Elvis liked his Jumpsuits.
He wore them for 8 years,and for his upcoming tour(the tour that never was)he had designed a new jumpsuit.So I think he liked them.

Jailhouse-Rocker
09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
i read somewhere .. or maybe watched it on a program that it was Priscilla who first mentioned the idea to him of wearing jumpsuits, as it gave him more freedom to move around and to do karate moves etc.

but i can't remember where i heard it/ read it! :lmfao:

Raised on Rock
09-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I believe they are all fantastic, it was just his bad health (bad habits) what ruined the way they looked on him after '74.

Just imagine the Indian Feather one on a 1970 ELvis Presley, Wow!!!! Even the lesser popular jumpsuits like the Gypsy or the Bear Claw would have probed to be quite an amazing looking jumpuit. I dare any of our modified pictures magicians to convert a '70 Elvis pic into a slim Elvis wearing a '76 jumpsuit and prove me wrong!

KPM
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
i read somewhere .. or maybe watched it on a program that it was Priscilla who first mentioned the idea to him of wearing jumpsuits, as it gave him more freedom to move around and to do karate moves etc.

but i can't remember where i heard it/ read it! :lmfao:
So many people have claimed to be the ones who started Elvis with the jumpsuits its hard to know who really was the real spark.

Raised on Rock
09-16-2007, 02:15 AM
So many people have claimed to be the ones who started Elvis with the jumpsuits its hard to know who really was the real spark.

In '69 Elvis got Belew to design apart from the two piece suits he also used on stage that season, some other Karate inspired out fits, that was Elvis own idea, Elvis didn?t wanted to go on stage wearing a tux, so he thought something similar to his karate training out fit, will make him confortable on stage, anyhow these were also two piece suits.

By Feb '70 he wanted something more flashy, the '69 modified Karate outfits, if they were great for the rock scene, were to sober for a Vegas Audience, so a very similar desing to the outfit of the male dancers at the begining of the Gospel sequence in the '68 comback special (see youtube link below) was used except that these were one piece suits, a.k.a. jumpsuits ,with a napoleonan collar aded identical to the one Belew worked out for the Black Leather suit from the TV Special. Also, Elvis loved to wear black or dark colors, but he find out after the '69 Vegas season that white was a much better color to wear on stage, so most of his jumpsuits latter were designed in white.

I believe, although there is no way I and no one can presume that?s the ultimate true, that jumpuist were something that Elvis and Belew came up with, by trying to find out the right stage outfit for him. No one else involved. About the Pricilla issue, she did sugested to add capes, that was for the Nov '71 Tour, but nothing I have read about suggesting the jumpsuits.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=UO-IYKc6elM&feature=PlayList&p=EF53F9BC84D6BFCC&index=50

elvisfan.77
09-16-2007, 02:49 AM
..........hm