PDA

View Full Version : What was going on in this video?

Vissie
09-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I know the Elvis naysayers have their interpretations but I was wondering... what do you think was wrong or bothering Elvis during this performance (http://www.ifilm.com/video/2477691)? http://sunny.zandalea.biz/112705/dunno.gif

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/052506/Miscellaneous/71a2433e.jpg

marijaep
09-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't know for sure, but I know one thing : He was NOT drunk :blink:
He didn't look so good, he looked tired during that song...and maybe he messed up the lyrics at the start and then just continued with it, but only joking :D

On the other hand....I think that there's a possibility that he took too many pills that night and they just blocked his mind and he didn't really know what he was doing...:doh:

Marija

Getlo
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
His "medications". Simple.

Coupled with some nervousness because of the TV cameras.

But no alcohol. The original poster was obviously ill-informed.

ksimms2
09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I think he was very nervous, he even said so, I think because of his weight....and then I also think he was having a good time joking around during this song, I don't think he was "feeling" the serious lyrics. Because right after - he sings My Way i think and does a wonderful job. I don't want to hear anyone saying he was drunk please.....yes maybe on medication....but I really don't see him as being messed up. Just very nervous.

Getlo
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Because right after - he sings My Way i think and does a wonderful job.

Actually, ksimms, that's only how it was edited for This Is Elvis.

After Are You Lonseome Tonight, he sang Love Me.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Elvis didn't drink, did he? Not from what I've read ~

In the video he seems so lost though. I wonder what was truly troubling him?

Getlo
09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Elvis didn't drink, did he? Not from what I've read ~

It's a myth that Elvis didn't drink (or smoke for that matter).

He was partial to the occasional scotch and several other drinks. But it wasn't a regular thing.

He was very drunk only once or twice in his whole life.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 02:49 PM

He was partial to the occasional scotch and several other drinks. But it wasn't a regular thing.

I've read about the cigarette smoking myth. Most people don't believe he smoked cigarettes. He had no problem smoking Hav-a-Tampas and other cigars. Plus, smoking was widely accepted during most of his life. What would be the reason to hide cigarettes if he did indeed use them?

But I'd like to keep this thread on topic ;)

ksimms2
09-11-2007, 02:52 PM
when I watched this video before, I felt so bad for him. He looked so lonely, lost & scared.....seriously. I think he felt the audience would not accept him overweight. Bless his heart...

Getlo, thanks for correcting me - I did not know it was edited.....

presley31
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Elvis did have a smoke now and then but he didn't want his fans to see him having a smoke. Elvis didn't drink cause he didn't like what drink made people like and act. I think elvis was scared of his fans not accepting him anymore, he felt so alone.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Elvis did have a smoke now and then but he didn't want his fans to see him having a smoke. Elvis didn't drink cause he didn't like what drink made people like and act. I think elvis was scared of his fans not accepting him anymore, he felt so alone.

What did you think was going on in the video Presley? Insecurity?

The King's Queen
09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't see that Elvis was overly medicated. I'm sure he was probably on whatever he was taking at the time, but I really don't think he was out of it. I noticed that he seemed nervous, very insecure, and I don't think he felt competant in the spotlight. He didn't seem to be well, of course, but other than that, I just think that once he got tongue-tied, he just made the best out of it with humor.

ksimms2
09-11-2007, 03:13 PM
What did you think was going on in the video Presley? Insecurity?

Yes Vissie, you summed it up in one word - insecurity. Exactly. Poor man. I wish he knew how talented and wonderful we thought (still do) think he was...how beautiful we thought him.....:'(

presley31
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
He was scared cause his weight and being bloated might make fans think different about him and how he was a as a person. You have to keep in mind with that elvis didn't like being the way he was in the last years and plus losing alot of people that were in his life from the staight, so it seems to me that elvis was scared and lost and felt helpess at times and l think this was one of them times where he felt all alone.

Getlo
09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Elvis did have a smoke now and then but he didn't want his fans to see him having a smoke.

The second part of your statement is correct.

However, Elvis smoked almost regularly, and for many years, starting in his early twenties and well into the 70s.

presley31
09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
all my statements are true gelto

Vissie
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
He was scared cause his weight and being bloated might make fans think different about him and how he was a as a person. You have to keep in mind with that elvis didn't like being the way he was in the last years and plus losing alot of people that were in his life from the staight, so it seems to me that elvis was scared and lost and felt helpess at times and l think this was one of them times where he felt all alone.

I think he was embarrassed by his weight too. That would help explain the Sears 2-Piece Vinyl Exercise Suit he purchased (but never opened).

But, as I watch this video again, I can't help but feel he may have been somewhat over-medicated. (sadly)

Vissie
09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
The second part of your statement is correct.

However, Elvis smoked almost regularly, and for many years, starting in his early twenties and well into the 70s.

Let's not bicker about smoking here, ok? I'm really interested to hear what people think of the video ~ thanks! (y)

Getlo
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
all my statements are true gelto

:lol::doh::lol: Funniest thing I've read in a while, cheers.

At the risk of going off topic, or laboring the point: read Roy Orbison's discussions of Elvis' smoking habits. Or, more importantly, Myrna Smith's account of how Elvis used to "smoke the whole" pack of hers. Or view the home movies of Elvis smoking in the fifties.

But as for the video at hand ... pills, nothing more.

presley31
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I think he was embarrassed by his weight too. That would help explain the Sears 2-Piece Vinyl Exercise Suit he purchased (but never opened).

But, as I watch this video again, I can't help but feel he may have been somewhat over-medicated. (sadly)

l agree vissie (y)(y)

Vissie
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
l agree vissie (y)(y)

I haven't committed all his performances to memory. Does anyone know when and where this was taken? (Year, venue, city?)

Diane
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I've seen this video before and it breaks my heart. I do think he was on medication but not overly. I think he was feeling very sick and yes, nervous and trying his best to get through the performance. Let's give him credit for doing the best he could under the circumstances.

Diane

Getlo
09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I haven't committed all his performances to memory. Does anyone know when and where this was taken? (Year, venue, city?)

Mount Rushmore Civic Center, Rapid City, South Dakota, June 21st, 1977 before 10,000 people.

The King's Queen
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I've seen this video before and it breaks my heart. I do think he was on medication but not overly. I think he was feeling very sick and yes, nervous and trying his best to get through the performance. Let's give him credit for doing the best he could under the circumstances.

Diane

That is true Diane...I get so tired of the constant battering that seems void of any sympathy whatsoever. The truth has been acknowledged...we all accept it...but it is not the answer to every single thing that Elvis did wrong on stage or off.

poormansgold76
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Elvis Didn't Drink, but he smoke cigars , how much, we don't know, he don't drink, because what it did to his mother.
Tom

Vissie
09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Mount Rushmore Civic Center, Rapid City, South Dakota, June 21st, 1977 before 10,000 people.

Thanks Getlo! (y) I wasn't aware it was so close to his death.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Diane

My heart will always go out to him. He was a sweetheart (imo) http://sunny.zandalea.biz/sdw116.gif

ricardo b. prospero
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Why can't we face the harsh reality of Elvis health condition that he was badly ill, overweight and on heavy medication for whatever the kind he was taking. It was really painful to watch him perform in his condition at that time. Just like watching him self destruct because of the tremendous pressure of his volatile lifestyle and the lost of his mom and wife. Nevertheless, he is one performer who never let down his fans and went on doing his usual best show. Truly a tragic ending for the man we all love and respect

" May he rest in peace and find the elusive happiness he long for up there"

Getlo
09-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Elvis Didn't Drink, but he smoke cigars , how much, we don't know, he don't drink, because what it did to his mother.
Tom

PMG, this is not true. It is another of the myths that surrounds Elvis.

He drank scotch occasionally, and other drinks too.

He also got legless drunk on the set of Wild In The Country, as he had to have a boil on his butt lanced by his co-star Hope Lange.

Cilla, The MM and many other biographies mention Elvis' drinking habits in passing. Please don't confuse responsible drinking with an inference that Elvis was ever a drunkard.

He was not a teetotaller at all, and enjoyed alcohol sometimes.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Why can't we face the harsh reality of Elvis health condition that he was badly ill, overweight and on heavy medication for whatever the kind he was taking. It was really painful to watch him perform in his condition at that time. Just like watching him self destruct because of the tremendous pressure of his volatile lifestyle and the lost of his mom and wife. Nevertheless, he is one performer who never let down his fans and went on doing his usual best show. Truly a tragic ending for the man we all love and respect

" May he rest in peace and find the elusive happiness he long for up there"

Whatever was ailing him (and whatever he was on) I will always see him as being true to his fans. In my heart, I believe he truly cared about them.

The performance shows that he was still willing to go on stage. Not like Amy Winehouse, Britney and others who flee at a moment's notice.

Himselvis
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Elvis definitely had a case of the giggles which was probably pill induced but it is possible he just cracked himself up and once he got rolling he could not stop. Getlo is dead on about Elvis drinking and smoking. Although he did get drunk on a few isolated occasions, he mostly did not go for alcohol at all, partly because of what he saw it do to his own family members when he was younger and even when they were living at Graceland. Pretty much as a rule, Presleys and alcohol were not a good combination and Elvis knew this all too well. i think some of the guys even stated that there were times when there were no alcohol allowed in his homes in California.

presley31
09-11-2007, 04:34 PM
i don't believe elvis drank that much, since the drink and pills killed his mother. He did smoke cigarettes every now and than, but like the cigars better.

Himselvis
09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
The most tragic thing about this video is that it was even made at all. I know the old argument about how money was needed, but vernon and the Col. should have cared enough about their boy that he should have been taken of the road for however long it took for Elvis to get it together. Just a crying shame that nobody stepped up and showed that kind of love for Elvis when he needed it the most. I also know the argument that you could not force Elvis to do something he did not want to do, which was true for the most part, but to hear Billy Smith and a few other MM tell it, there were times when they were real close to making breakthoughs with Elvis' problems the last year of his life. Elvis voice was still absolutley fantastic and he still had the gift of being a great performer, even though he was still so sick and had no business being onstage...he still gave it his all. He loved giving the fans what they wanted.

Vissie
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
The most tragic thing about this video is that it was even made at all. I know the old argument about how money was needed, but vernon and the Col. should have cared enough about their boy that he should have been taken of the road for however long it took for Elvis to get it together. Just a crying shame that nobody stepped up and showed that kind of love for Elvis when he needed it the most. I also know the argument that you could not force Elvis to do something he did not want to do, which was true for the most part, but to hear Billy Smith and a few other MM tell it, there were times when they were real close to making breakthoughs with Elvis' problems the last year of his life. Elvis voice was still absolutley fantastic and he still had the gift of being a great performer, even though he was still so sick and had no business being onstage...he still gave it his all. He loved giving the fans what they wanted.

His voice was superb ~ which is why I was so bothered by that passage in The Death of Elvis http://sunny.zandalea.biz/GoofyFrown.gif

Getlo
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
The most tragic thing about this video is that it was even made at all.

Exactly. (y)

The cameras should not have been rolling that month on the tragic shadow of himself that Elvis had become. :mad:

They should have waited until he got his act together. Sadly, that wasn't to be ... (n)

presley31
09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Elvis wouldn't hide from his fans, he wanted to please them no matter how he felt or looked.

Diane
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree with Getlo, that video should never have been made at all. Elvis should have been in a hospital.

Diane

presley31
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
l don't think the doctors could of done anything diane to be quite honest,l think it was already to late for saving him.

4THEHEART
09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm glad to have this video..it shows what an incredible performer he was and how beautifully he sang are you lonsome tonight despite of his illness..anybody else would've failed to stand on his feet,let alone singing like that..in later years(76-77)have you ever noticed it was not weight actually(nothing like he was in 66),when you look him behind the waist was still there and his suits fit loosely, it was only abdomen area looked swollen and fluid retention on hands and face..nothing to do with being obese or fat..he was ill..but all people want to believe it is drugs, now even alcohol added..so called friends and doctors must have thought the same that no one cared enough and never believed he was seriously ill..

The King's Queen
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm glad to have this video..it shows what an incredible performer he was and how beautifully he sang are you lonsome tonight despite of his illness..anybody else would've failed to stand on his feet,let alone singing like that..in later years(76-77)have you ever noticed it was not weight actually(nothing like he was in 66),when you look him behind the waist was still there and his suits fit loosely, it was only abdomen area looked swollen and fluid retention on hands and face..nothing to do with being obese or fat..he was ill..but all people want to believe it is drugs, now even alcohol added..so called friends and doctors must have thought the same that no one cared enough and never believed he was seriously ill..

Very well said! I feel that way myself...(y)

Vissie
09-11-2007, 07:34 PM
it was only abdomen area looked swollen and fluid retention on hands and face..nothing to do with being obese or fat..he was ill..

He most certainly was ill, bless his heart. I think the mid-section bloating comes from his misshapen colon and his inability to properly cleanse his body of waste by-products.

KPM
09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Didnt we already have a thread on this subject in the last few weeks already? My reply then was recitation in any song is hard and its not like he had never in his life not messed up on this long spoken part. Add any medication into the mix and he just screwed it up. In the past when he messed up on it he made jokes and played with it for laughs-thats my take.

Tony Trout
09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I'll agree with what everyone else has said...it was all a combination of nerves and the stuff ("uppers", dare I say?) that he was taking....at least it's not as bad as it was two nights earlier in Omaha, NE. He even admitted to the producer (Dwight Hemion is/was his name I think) that he knew he was bad that night and promised to do better when filming resumed on the 21st. There was also supposed to have been some footage shot on the 20th in Lincoln, NE but the manager of that particular auditorium denied CBS clearance for filming because of the cameras and he was worried that they might be a distraction for the fans Watching the footage from June 19, 1977 just breaks my heart....he's so out of it that I wonder if he even knew where he was???

Vissie
09-11-2007, 11:38 PM
I'll agree with what everyone else has said...it was all a combination of nerves and the stuff ("uppers", dare I say?) that he was taking....at least it's not as bad as it was two nights earlier in Omaha, NE. He even admitted to the producer (Dwight Hemion is/was his name I think) that he knew he was bad that night and promised to do better when filming resumed on the 21st. There was also supposed to have been some footage shot on the 20th in Lincoln, NE but the manager of that particular auditorium denied CBS clearance for filming because of the cameras and he was worried that they might be a distraction for the fans Watching the footage from June 19, 1977 just breaks my heart....he's so out of it that I wonder if he even knew where he was???

Great post Tony (y) I hadn't heard about the footage from Lincoln, NE. As for knowing where he was, it's my understanding that many performers just don't have a clue (and rightfully so). My friend (the one who was good friends with J.D. Sumner and other guys that Elvis recorded with) said when he (meaning my friend) would go on stage, they would just flash the name of the city on a piece of cardboard so he could at least fake that he knew where he was ;)