PDA

View Full Version : Audience recordings

Paulie1971
08-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi friends,

I have a question. For some time I have focussed my collection on soundboards and outtakes. I am sure that there are also quite a few very nice audience recordings out there. I have 'Adios, final performance', 'No fooling around', 'America's Own' and 'New Year's Eve'.

Can any of you give me some advise about other audience recordings that are worth getting. Sound quality and content are important factors for me.

Which audience recordings are essential for an Elvis collection?

Hope to hear from you!
Paulie1971

boogie
08-16-2004, 01:19 PM
hi, paulie,
I have many audiance recordings, and when there is one i think you should listen, it is "Double Dynamite", two shows from august 1970. (at least , that's my vision on it).Greetzz (y)

T_J
08-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi friends,

I have a question. For some time I have focussed my collection on soundboards and outtakes. I am sure that there are also quite a few very nice audience recordings out there. I have 'Adios, final performance', 'No fooling around', 'America's Own' and 'New Year's Eve'.

Can any of you give me some advise about other audience recordings that are worth getting. Sound quality and content are important factors for me.

Which audience recordings are essential for an Elvis collection?

Hope to hear from you!
Paulie1971

I'd go with A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Aug 20 1970 midnight show) and A Dinner Bell in Vegas (Aug 20 1970 dinner show). Both were previously released (on Midnight Inspiration and A Dinner Date With Elvis, respectively), but the newer releases have bonus tracks (from the 19th Aug) and better sound.

The overall sound on both is very acceptable and the performances are superb. Oh and the covers are very good too :D

The Double Dynamite release already mentioned contains the dinner and midnight shows from the 19th Aug. As I said above, Bright Midnight and Dinner Bell contain several bonus tracks from these shows, so there would be some duplication if you went for all four CDs.

spinout-designs
08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
There are many worthy audience recordings available, however, if I had to recommend just a handful of 'essentials' I would suggest................

Double Dynamite (2 disc set - Las Vegas 19th August 1970 - Dinner and Midnight shows)

A Dinner Date With Elvis (with bonus tracks re-issue - Las Vegas 20th August 1970 - Dinner Show)

One Night In Portland (Portland - 11th November 1970)

Phoenix Over Tennessee (Johnson City - 17th March 1976)

Auld Lang Syne (Pittsburgh - New Year's Eve, 31st December 1976)

Unchained Elvis (Binghamton - May 27th 1977 - Evening show)

Since Cincinnati (Cincinnati - June 25th 1977)

simmerrocks
08-17-2004, 12:48 AM
paulie, the cd's that spinout posted are the cream of the crop! they are all well balanced audience recordings. and are all very listenable. a new one called elvis rocks lincoln is from the june 77 tour. just one day before rapid city. and one day after omaha, elvis is in good voice. he does a blusey beginning to hound dog like he did in 72, that makes it very enjoyable to me. have a good night remebering our man. all the best... mike (y) (y) :'( :'( :'( 27 years today :'(

Elvis42
08-17-2004, 03:15 AM
I know this is a bit off topic here, but your posts made me think about an article I read not to long ago about Rick Renniger (is that his last name?) The man who recorded Double Dynamite and about 6 other shows during that period. It appears he died and to pay the funeral costs his widow has to put up his Elvis memorabilia for auction. Sad, sad, sad, a man's lifetime of collecting his idols work gone just like that...something to think about. my condolences to his widow I beleive he was only 58 years old
J.C.

Sonny
08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Try and check out the import section, Paulie1971.
Maybe you can find some nice titles there.

Bye,
Sonny

Paulie1971
08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the input guys (y)