PDA

View Full Version : Rock stars actually do die before they get old

Vissie
09-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Rock stars actually do die before they get old

A scientific study has proved the obvious: A life of drinking and drugs won't last long.

September 6, 2007

In what had to be the least surprising news of the year, a team of British researchers reported this week that rock stars are two to three times more likely to die young than their counterparts in the rest of the population.

Don't be shocked, but people who gobble one set of pills to wake up at night, another set to go to sleep in the morning and maybe take a handful or two more in between when they're bored might not make it to a comfortable old age.

And trashing hotel suites, combined with regular indulgence in group sex parties could indicate a lack of judgment that does not bode well in the longevity department.

The study's authors said they wanted to test whether the pervasive belief that rock stars had short lives was really true. Boy, is it.

The average age of death for American artists was 42, the age of Elvis Presley when he collapsed at Graceland. European stars were 35, apparently not helped by their access to socialized medical care.

While some deaths can be attributed to the hazards of life on the road, like Buddy Holly's plane crash, and others to issues far outside show business, like Marvin Gaye, who was shot by his own father, the most common cause of premature death was recreational abuse of alcohol and drugs, claiming one in four of those who died.

There is hope, however, for young rock stars. The study found that the most dangerous period comes within five years of attaining fame. If the Lindsay Lohans and Amy Winehouses of the world can get through that first tough patch, they might grow up to be like Keith Richards.

Remember, it was Roger Daltry who sang that he'd rather die before he got old, and now he's 63.

Copyright ? 2007 Blethen Maine Newspapers
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=132001&ac=PHedi
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting... :hmm:

presley31
09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the article, very good reading.

Burning_Love
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks, that is soo true (y)

jatta-tcb
09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
this same article was in Finnish newspapers too.. and they also mentioned Elvis. But maybe it is true

Vissie
09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I wonder why European stars die 7 years younger?

toffe
09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the article! :king:

Leroy
09-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Then what about Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, Marianne Faithful, Eeric Clapton.......if they die and w would smoke their ashes we would get high for five years. These people did more drugs than no matter who? Their still alive today, still making music and all in their sixties......

There are more people dying by bee stings each day.

Diane
09-08-2007, 02:02 PM
They don't have Elvis' health problems and people are affected by drugs in different ways. They may be still standing, but they aren't healthy.

Diane

Sonny
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Keith Richard had his blood refreshed in Israel if I'm correct.

But it's true, it's amazing the Stones are still going strong!

Vissie
09-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Live fast, die young: Why rock stars are such a lousy insurance risk

By DAVID DERBYSHIRE

Elvis Presley: bit the dust at the tender age of 42

Elvis pegged out at the age of 42, Jimi made it to 27 while Buddy was killed at only 22.

Since the dawn of rock 'n' roll, rock and pop musicians have fallen victim to the philosophy "live fast, die young".

Now the scale of wasted musical talent is highlighted in a study which reveals that rock and pop stars are twice as likely to die prematurely as the rest of us.

The research into 1,000 stars of the last 60 years found they were at the greatest risk from drugs, drinks, suicide, car accidents and plane crashes in the first five years of becoming famous.

The British team behind the study say the statistics are so shocking that the music industry should be regarded as a 'high-risk' profession.

They should also act as a warning to the 'X Factor' generation who dream of stardom - along with self-destructive rockers such as Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty.

Professor Mark Bellis, who led the research at Liverpool John Moores University, said: "At least we are discussing Amy Winehouse before anything terrible happens to her. In all the tragedies we studied it was too late."

Premature death has become - like sex and drugs - a cliche of the music industry.

From Buddy Holly, killed in the same 1959 plane crash as 17-year-old singer Richie Valens, to the suicide of Kurt Cobain, the 27-year-old lead singer of Nirvana, many in the business regard it as an occupational hazard.

The findings come from a study of more than 1,050 American and British musicians who found fame between 1956 and 1999. All featured in the All-Time Top 1,000 Albums list selected in 2000.

Out of the 100 who died before 2005, at least a quarter were killed by drink and drugs.

The average age was 42 for Americans, and 35 for British stars, says the report in today's Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

In the first five years after becoming famous, pop stars were three times as likely to die as others of a similar age. In the next 20 years, they were twice as likely to reach an early grave.

After 25 years, however, British stars were no more at risk of premature death than anyone else in the UK - suggesting that many have swapped hard drink and drugs for muesli and mineral water.

"The difference is greatest in the first five years, when there are likely to be stresses when you move to being famous," said the professor.

"They are moving into an environment where drink and drugs are readily available."

The roster of stars killed in the first bloom of their careers includes Jimi Hendrix, 27, who came to fame in 1966 and died of an overdose in 1970; Cobain, who shot himself in 1994, five years after his first album with Nirvana; and Sid Vicious, 21, who died of an overdose in 1979 two years after joining the Sex Pistols.

Around a dozen rock and pop stars have been murdered including John Lennon, 40, Marvin Gaye, 44, the rappers Tupac Shakur, 25 and The Notorious BIG, 24, and Al Jackson, 39, drummer with Booker T and the MGs.

Apart from Cobain, suicides have claimed Joy Division singer Ian Curtis, 23, and singer- songwriter Nick Drake, 26, while car accidents killed Marc Bolan, 29, and Eddie Cochrane, 21.

The most famous early death of all was Elvis Presley, who died aged 42 from a combination of drugs and heart failure.

Other drug victims included The Who's drummer Keith Moon, 32, and blues singer Janis Joplin, 27.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=479773&in_page_id=1773

JDD
09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Then what about Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, Marianne Faithful, Eeric Clapton.......if they die and w would smoke their ashes we would get high for five years. These people did more drugs than no matter who? Their still alive today, still making music and all in their sixties......

There are more people dying by bee stings each day.

Leroy I'm not convinced that Keith Richards didn't die years ago and someone
just forgot to tell him.

Jerry Lee Lewis always comments how he did more drugs, drank more booze and had more career highs and lows then anyone in the history of the business and he's still kicking .

Tony Trout
09-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Leroy I'm not convinced that Keith Richards didn't die years ago and someone
just forgot to tell him.

I'm sorry but that is just plain hilarious!! :lol::lol:

I'm surprised that Rick/Ricky Nelson isn't on that list......

Vissie
09-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry but that is just plain hilarious!! :lol::lol:

I'm surprised that Rick/Ricky Nelson isn't on that list......

He died in a plane crash...

Tony Trout
09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
He died in a plane crash...

Yep, I know. He was 45....

(I'm a big Ricky Nelson fan...that's why I mentioned him).

Not to derail the thread, the crash was actually caused by a faulty heater...although there were traces of cocaine found in Rick's body as well as his band members because of "freebasing" rumors. Everyone on board (except for the pilot and co-pilot) perished.

Diane
09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
LOL@JDD, people have been joking about Keith still being alive for years now - especially when he turned 50.

I saw him in concert I think around the first of this year on TV and looked real close at him standing there and then he began to move about the stage, so either the rest of the Rolling Stones re-animated him for the concert or he IS still alive.:lol:

Diane

franny
09-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Some people smoke 5 packs of cigarettes a day and life to be 100, who knows why?? Maybe someone did forget to tell Keith Richards...:lol:

Thanks, for the article Vissie! (y)

franny

ReGina_89
11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Jerry Lee Lewis always comments how he did more drugs, drank more booze and had more career highs and lows then anyone in the history of the business and he's still kicking .

thats true he even his latest album is called Last Man Standing

KPM
11-21-2007, 03:01 AM
Some people smoke 5 packs of cigarettes a day and life to be 100, who knows why?? Maybe someone did forget to tell Keith Richards...:lol:

Thanks, for the article Vissie! (y)

franny
Keith recently last year fell out of a palm tree while on vacation-in his 60s.
Maybe being crazy helps you live longer.;):lol:

Diane
11-21-2007, 03:15 AM
And maybe snorting up his dad's ashes gave him a boost......kidding, he admitted later he didn't really do it. He has a very strange sense of humor.:lol:

Diane

Lisarose
11-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Yep, I know. He was 45....

(I'm a big Ricky Nelson fan...that's why I mentioned him).

Not to derail the thread, the crash was actually caused by a faulty heater...although there were traces of cocaine found in Rick's body as well as his band members because of "freebasing" rumors. Everyone on board (except for the pilot and co-pilot) perished.

What year did Ricky Nelson's plane crash?

Getlo
11-21-2007, 06:22 PM

It was New Years' Eve, 1985.

Getlo
11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
They don't have Elvis' health problems and people are affected by drugs in different ways. They may be still standing, but they aren't healthy.

Mick Jagger is perfectly healthy; fitter than the vast majority of blokes his age and older.

Tony Trout
11-21-2007, 07:00 PM

It was New Years' Eve, 1985.

Correct, and it crashed just outside of DeKalb, Texas in a field after the pilots made a nearly perfect three-point landing...it took nearly two hours to extinquish the flames and another ten hours before the bodies of the victims could be recovered. I received a very interesting email from a guy who knew the funeral directors that handled Rick's funeral and here is what he told me:

Rick Nelson was sent to the Dallas County Medical Examiner's office from the crash in East Texas. He was picked up from the ME by a mortuary service (not a public funeral home) and cremated in Dallas. Cremated remains sent to LA. I personally know the funeral director who handled Nelson. I also have the death certificate.

Rick's remains now lie in Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, CA along with those of his parents, Ozzie & Harriet Nelson.

Over 1,000 packed the chapel at FLHH for the funeral services and loudspeakers were set up outside for the ones who couldn't get in to hear the service.

Here's something else I found on the Ricky Nelson Fan Club of Great Britain website:

It was now the mid 80's and Rick Nelson had been in showbusiness for almost 35 years, but he showed no signs of slowing down. While his recent albums had not received the kind of popularity he hoped, or deserved, he was still a highly sought after entertainer and continued to perform live to sell out crowds across the globe. Shunning the type of cabaret style show that many of his contemporaries had done, he remained true to his music and to himself. He also continued to act, taking on many cameo roles in popular T.V. shows of the time, including stand-out performances in The Streets Of San Fransisco and A Hand For Sonny Blue. In many of these shows he played a singer and would often play his own music, most notably in The Hardy Boys and McCloud. His personal life was also looking brighter, he had begun a relationship with a girl who had come backstage to meet him after one of his shows, model Helen Blair. Helen was very good for Rick and it was quite clear to all who shared time with them that they were very much in love. In 1985 he began work on the second of his two album deal for Capitol records, sadly it remains an incomplete and un-released work in progress.

On the 30th of December 1985, Rick was playing at the nightclub of Pat Upton in Guntersville, Alabama. It was a small venue for Rick, but Pat was a friend. The next day he was due to fly to Dallas for a New Years Eve show. Despite a life long fear of flying, Rick had recently purchased a second hand, twin-engine DC-3 plane. At 14:00 on 31st December, Rick, Helen (now his fiance) and band members, Bobby Neal, Rick Intveld, Andy Chapin and Pat Woodward, together with his road manager Clark Russel, boarded the plane and headed for the skies.

The first anyone on the ground knew of any problems with the flight was when the pilot reported that there was smoke in the cabin area of the plane. Shortly after he reported that smoke and flames had penetrated into the cock-pit and he was going to attempt an emergency landing. However during the landing attempt the damaged plane hit some power lines and trees and exploded into a ball of flame on impact. Luckily the force threw the pilot and co-pilot to safety. They attempted to rescue the passengers but were pushed back by the intense heat and flames. Emergency services arrived at the scene too late to save the seven souls on board. Upon entering the plane, investigators discovered that Rick and Helen were still strapped in their seats, with Rick shielding his fiance. A final act of bravery and love.

Tragically the Nelson family would all hear of the tragic death of their beloved Rick from news coverage of the accident. Rick was laid to rest at Forest Lawns Memorial Park in Los Angeles on 6th of January 1986. A crowd of over a thousand people showed up to pay their last respects to a man who they had watched grow from a young boy. In the coming days a news report in the Washington Post reported that the crash may have been caused by the band members free-basing in the plane, a process in which cocaine is ignited. It was claimed that aerosol cans which could have been used for this purpose were found on the plane. It was later confirmed that no evidence of any drug abuse was discovered anywhere on the plane (although there were traces of cocaine found in Rick's body). Most of the aerosols were in the baggage area of the plane and this was a time when the use of aerosols for cosmetic use was at it's highest. It was also discovered that the cause of the fire was in actual fact a faulty heater on the aircraft. However the damage had been done and this final slur on the name of a man who could no longer defend himself, deeply affected his family.

Harriet Nelson never really got over the tragic deaths of her husband and youngest child. A wife and mother both on-screen and in real life, she removed herself from the publc eye untill her death in 1994 of emphysema and congestive heart failure.

David Nelson continued to work in movies and television both during and after the families T.V. show. He also turned his attention to directing including a thoughtfull documentary on his late brothers life entitled Rick Nelson: A Brother Remembers.

Tracy Nelson, Rick's only daughter, has also pursued the family business, becoming an accomplished actress in her own right. Amongst the many projects she has been involved in are: Down And Out In Beverly Hills and the T.V. series The Father Dowling Mysteries. She has also successfully battled with Hodgkins disease.

Identical twins Mathew & Gunnar followed their father into the music business, with several albums under their belts. There no. 1 hit (I Canít Live Without Your) Love and Affection put the Nelson dynasty into the record books as the only family of 3 consecutive generations with no. 1 hit records (Ozzie & Harriet having reached the spot decades earlier with And Then Some. They have also recorded an album of covers of some of their fathers biggest hits entitled Like Father, Like Sons.

Youngest son Sam toyed with the idea of becoming an astronaut before eventually embarking on a music career with the hard rock group h is orange.

Rick Nelson was a man who spent his entire life in the glare of the media spotlight. He had acted on radio, televison and in movies. He had sung Rock 'N' Roll, Rockabilly, Country Music and Country Rock. He had refused to be pigeon holed as a teenage idol and continued to develop and grow as a respected and beloved artist up until his untimely death at the age of 45. To us, his fans, he's not dead. He is merely on the road, where he was his happiest, playing to packed houses and leaving them craving more. His genuine sincerity, and soft spoken manner lives on through his recordings. Not a caricature of a time gone by, but a legacy of great music and wonderful memories.

Rover
11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for posting this article, this was interesting! Ok there's a strong tendency to die young, but it's not the majority of them...We still have a lot of oldies around :P

Miss Clawdy
11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Keith Richard had his blood refreshed in Israel if I'm correct.

But it's true, it's amazing the Stones are still going strong!

It was Switzerland, but he said it was only a joke. :lol:
Here's an interview with Keith:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1787782005

KPM
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Mick Jagger is perfectly healthy; fitter than the vast majority of blokes his age and older.
Thats the appearance-but if you stood next to Keith Richard as much as he does, you'd look healthy too.;)