PDA

View Full Version : Those "Rose Colored Glasses"

The King's Queen
09-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Okay Elvis fans...here's one for ya! I've noticed that the "rose colored glasses" phrase is being used quite a bit lately...I myself have used it many times...lol. I am just wondering what your definition of "rose colored glasses" is, and whether or not you own a pair! :P

Diane
09-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Wearing rose coloured glasses to me is someone who refuses to see the bad side of anything.....just won't look at it at all.

I see the bad side but don't want to dwell on it, I'd rather concentrate on the good side so maybe mine are slightly tinted?:P

Diane

The King's Queen
09-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Wearing rose coloured glasses to me is someone who refuses to see the bad side of anything.....just won't look at it at all.

I see the bad side but don't want to dwell on it, I'd rather concentrate on the good side so maybe mine are slightly tinted?:P

Diane

Interesting Diane... I prefer to view it as someone who can see the faults, but refuses to acknowledge it to the point that they must see that person in a different light...does that make any sense?? :hmm:

Diane
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Yup, they make up their own person to fit what they can accept. :)

Diane

Merry
09-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Okay Elvis fans...here's one for ya! I've noticed that the "rose colored glasses" phrase is being used quite a bit lately...I myself have used it many times...lol. I am just wondering what your definition of "rose colored glasses" is, and whether or not you own a pair! :P

Hi my Darling Friend,

Weeeeeeeeelllll,

My opinion is life isn't black and white. That there are many shades in any given situation.

That one has to take into many things, thinking outside the square, trying to logically think (well for me I try, lol, but hey I'm female). Emotional thinking to me, is very important too, try to have some balance.

I think about things this way:

1. FIRST hand information.
2. What makes SENSE (without trying to add my life experience).
3. What you know of the person, from getting to know how they think, their reactions, which goes back to what makes sense.

Sooooooo, my dear friend, I can't answer you, hehe. :clap:

:hug:

Kimmi

P.S. I've said before, when you love someone, you tend to look for the good, the rest, you accept, as part of that person being a human being, it's called unconditional love.

4THEHEART
09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
very rarely there's the real rose colour appears around us,so unbelievable that we think it's because of our rose coloured glasses even though we're not wearing them,and with a suspicion of being fooled again,we prefer holding our shields high and choose not to believe that the colour rose is indeed exists..
well, that phrase must be an excuse we use for ourselves,when we see the positive in things or people,thinkin only way to get wiser, is to see the dark always..but what if it's not?

The King's Queen
09-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Hi my Darling Friend,

Weeeeeeeeelllll,

My opinion is life isn't black and white. That there are many shades in any given situation.

That one has to take into many things, thinking outside the square, trying to logically think (well for me I try, lol, but hey I'm female). Emotional thinking to me, is very important too, try to have some balance.

I think about things this way:

1. FIRST hand information.
2. What makes SENSE (without trying to add my life experience).
3. What you know of the person, from getting to know how they think, their reactions, which goes back to what makes sense.

Sooooooo, my dear friend, I can't answer you, hehe. :clap:

Kimmi

P.S. I've said before, when you love someone, you tend to look for the good, the rest, you accept, as part of that person being a human being, it's called unconditional love.

Hi Friend!! Nice to see you visiting us...:P Well, I guess I have maybe opened up a can of worms...lol...so many different opinions! But I like to pick the brains of different people...I find it interesting to see how each mind thinks. And yes, Kimmi, I too wonder if those glasses are not also just the old unconditional love...:hug:

very rarely there's the real rose colour appears around us,so unbelievable that we think it's because of our rose coloured glasses even though we're not wearing them,and with a suspicion of being fooled again,we prefer holding our shields high and choose not to believe that the colour rose is indeed exists..
well, that phrase must be an excuse we use for ourselves,when we see the positive in things or people,thinkin only way to get wiser, is to see the dark always..but what if it's not?

Now there is some deep thinking....and I like it! (y) I am beginning to think that I may have some degree of agreement with every post thus far...that is just freaky, huh? :P

presley31
09-06-2007, 02:13 AM
my glasses are shinning pretty bright:lol::lol:

Merry
09-06-2007, 02:32 AM
...that is just freaky, huh? :P

Hey girlfriend, joining my club, hehe? :D

Hugs,
Kimmi

JDD
09-06-2007, 05:52 AM
I find that the flaws in someone like an Elvis are part of what makes them interesting, and probably a lot of what made them so great at what they
did best. All through History some of the biggest geniuses and personalities in history were tortured souls with tons of problems or what a lot of folks would call weird .

marijaep
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Well,
Yes, I own one pair of the 'Rose Colored Glasses', but I wear them occasionally lol.
It's not that I refuse to see the bad stuff and see only the good....
Elvis had a bad side of his life, but I don't really want to discuss it, i mean what's the point? He did, what he did and if it's bad, it's OK! He was a human being after all.
It's always good to look on the good side of the people(not only Elvis, everyone) and not concentrate always on the bad. Because if you search for perfection, you will never find it.
Yes, i like discussing about his medication addiction, he being depressed and so, but there are always HAPPIER stuff to discuss :clap:

hugs :hug:,

Marija

The King's Queen
09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Well,
Yes, I own one pair of the 'Rose Colored Glasses', but I wear them occasionally lol.
Elvis had a bad side of his life, but I don't really want to discuss it, i mean what's the point? He did, what he did and if it's bad, it's OK! He was a human being after all.
It's always good to look on the good side of the people(not only Elvis, everyone) and not concentrate always on the bad. Because if you search for perfection, you will never find it.
Yes, i like discussing about his medication addiction, he being depressed and so, but there are always HAPPIER stuff to discuss :clap:

Marija

That's an interesting thought Marija...nice way of looking at things...(y)

Burning_Love
09-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I love Elvis with or without his Faults and always consider them. My opinions don't change there.

I don't own a pair of rose coloured glasses because Elvis was who he is was and i accept that.

Danielle x

Merry
09-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Well,

Marija

Beautifully said, Marija,

In my opinion, I don't think "perfect" would be very interesting, lol (y)

Hugs
Kimmi

jak
09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I use to have a very nice pair.I found out though that once I got a little older and maybe just a little wiser, I didnt need them anymore.
Jak

marijaep
09-06-2007, 01:26 PM
That's an interesting thought Marija...nice way of looking at things...(y)
Thanks Queenie, hehe :hug:

Beautifully said, Marija,

In my opinion, I don't think "perfect" would be very interesting, lol (y)

Hugs
Kimmi

Hey Kimmi, you are right (y) :clap:

:hug: to you too,

Marija

mislulu
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
i owned a pair of rose color glasses when I was younger. :lmfao: But as I grew older I found that I liked to see clearly! :blink:

I agree with everyone, Elvis was only human! (y)

presley31
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
i owned a pair of rose color glasses when I was younger. :lmfao: But as I grew older I found that I liked to see clearly! :blink:

I agree with everyone, Elvis was only human! (y)

I agree lulu, elvis had faults but who doesn't....

Getlo
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I use to have a very nice pair.I found out though that once I got a little older and maybe just a little wiser, I didnt need them anymore.

Well put.

My glasses are clear, with absolutely no hint of rose or any other colour.

With regards to Elvis - and eveything else, actually - I want to find the truth, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

That's why it really gets my goat when, for example, people dismiss what the Memphis Mafia has to say because they "betrayed" (yawn!) Elvis. Same with the Goldman book - when all is said and done, it really was nowhere near as bad as some people believe.

I want to hear as many people's opinions as I can about Elvis - not so much from other fans, but from the people who knew him and worked with him.

So, if it emerges that Elvis did some bad things , then ... if it's the truth ... get it out there.

"Rose coloured glasses", IMO, refers to those fans who only want to hear about the positive side of Elvis (check out the Topix Elvis thread at http://www.topix.com/forum/who/elvis-presley for some serious loons), and who close their eyes to the fact that Elvis was flawed, often immature, sometimes nasty and vindictive (as we all are occasionally), and his own biggest enabler.

I much prefer the "warts and all" approach to get a better sense of the man.

Diane
09-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I agree to the "warts and all" approach Getlo, just don't want to give him more than he had.:)

Diane

KPM
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
First off I don't wear glasses;)
I look for the truth in everything, and for understanding.
Any term, even Rose Colored Glasses, conjures up a stereotypical image-in this instance I guess some imply they are people who just see life as the Lesley Gore song "Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows..."
Thats not me, go back and read some of my posts. But I don't buy every single negative thing I try to look at every possible answer for some of the things written and said. There are other plausable answers for many things in life and I don't close my mind to them. That may very well be rose colored glasses to some-IMO its not.
The parable of the 6 blind men and the elephant is something I think shows how wrong someone can be just from lack of full understanding and not exploring all areas and avenues. Thinking "its so obvious" in anything is a bad habit. IMO
Some things are easily understood so you are able to give total- concrete- 100% absolute definition to them.
I don't think Elvis is one of those on any level.

Diane
09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
You're right KPM. Elvis was a very complex person with a lot of bottled-up energy and emotions that spilled out in a hundred different ways. I don't think he even understood himself.

I bet that if he had been a child of today, doctors would have wanted to put him on Retalin. Even as an adult he seemed to border on hyper-activity...never could stay still for long and I think his mind was the same way, what they call a "busy mind". I've been told by a doctor I have one and I can tell you, it's not a restful way to be.

I think it's good to want to be able to understand what Elvis was really all about but I think it's also a losing battle because of all the crisscrossed information out there.

Diane

KPM
09-06-2007, 10:38 PM
You're right KPM. Elvis was a very complex person with a lot of bottled-up energy and emotions that spilled out in a hundred different ways. I don't think he even understood himself.

I bet that if he had been a child of today, doctors would have wanted to put him on Retalin. Even as an adult he seemed to border on hyper-activity...never could stay still for long and I think his mind was the same way, what they call a "busy mind". I've been told by a doctor I have one and I can tell you, it's not a restful way to be.

I think it's good to want to be able to understand what Elvis was really all about but I think it's also a losing battle because of all the crisscrossed information out there.

Diane
I agree about crisscrossed information and also misinformation.

I have always been a worrier and if if there is a problem or potential problem my mind never leaves it-my wife on the other hand has never missed a good nights sleep because of any problem we were faced with. She just lays down and 15 minutes later shes asleep. So I know what "busy mind" means. :)

Diane
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes you do KPM :D, my husband is like your wife.....lucky them!

Diane

4THEHEART
09-06-2007, 10:42 PM
In his entireness,I wouldn't wish to change any piece of Elvis', since all the elements is in balance to build this person as it is in all of us, only needs to improve and it does in time if we give that time to each other and ourselves,and I don't limit that process in this lifetime ..after all,isn't that person Elvis's very self who made us come here from around the globe, made millions love him no matter what their cultures,religions,upbringings are,and became a hope and a source of happiness for all those people and only put smiles on their faces while this world is full of hate,killing,pain,intrigues..isn't the picture he painted in this place ROSE enough..while the real darkness is untouchable,unquestionable, what falses we are trying not to miss or detect in his personality,this is ridiculous and an empty work..well, I don't need those glasses to see the tons of rose in Elvis..

The King's Queen
09-06-2007, 11:08 PM
In his entireness,I wouldn't wish to change any peace of Elvis', since all the elements is in balance to build this person as it is in all of us, only needs to improve and it does in time if we give that time to each other and ourselves,and I don't limit that process in this lifetime ..after all,isn't that person Elvis's very self who made us come here from around the globe, made millions love him no matter what their cultures,religions,upbringings are,and became a hope and a source of happiness for all those people and only put smiles on their faces while this world is full of hate,killing,pain,intrigues..isn't the picture he painted in this place ROSE enough..while the real darkness is untouchable,unquestionable, what falses we are trying not to miss or detect in his personality,this is ridiculous and an empty work..well, I don't need those glasses to see the tons of rose in Elvis..

Oh my...I am speechless...you said it sooo well! :notworthy :clap:

Burning_Love
09-06-2007, 11:48 PM
In his entireness,I wouldn't wish to change any peace of Elvis', since all the elements is in balance to build this person as it is in all of us, only needs to improve and it does in time if we give that time to each other and ourselves,and I don't limit that process in this lifetime ..after all,isn't that person Elvis's very self who made us come here from around the globe, made millions love him no matter what their cultures,religions,upbringings are,and became a hope and a source of happiness for all those people and only put smiles on their faces while this world is full of hate,killing,pain,intrigues..isn't the picture he painted in this place ROSE enough..while the real darkness is untouchable,unquestionable, what falses we are trying not to miss or detect in his personality,this is ridiculous and an empty work..well, I don't need those glasses to see the tons of rose in Elvis..

Thank You:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Diane
09-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes Zey, you sure said it! (y)(y)(y)

Diane

Merry
09-07-2007, 01:02 AM
In his entireness,I wouldn't wish to change any piece of Elvis', since all the elements is in balance to build this person as it is in all of us, only needs to improve and it does in time if we give that time to each other and ourselves,and I don't limit that process in this lifetime ..after all,isn't that person Elvis's very self who made us come here from around the globe, made millions love him no matter what their cultures,religions,upbringings are,and became a hope and a source of happiness for all those people and only put smiles on their faces while this world is full of hate,killing,pain,intrigues..isn't the picture he painted in this place ROSE enough..while the real darkness is untouchable,unquestionable, what falses we are trying not to miss or detect in his personality,this is ridiculous and an empty work..well, I don't need those glasses to see the tons of rose in Elvis..

Just beautiful Zey, thank you for your words.

Hugs,
Kimmi

Lonniebealestreet
09-07-2007, 04:02 AM
As others have essentially said, to me the wearing of rose-colored glasses implies a refusal to see the truth or some inability to acknowledge it. In my opinion those who wear them cannot admit that they do.

There is something else that many of us fans do which is probably more along the lines of what is being asked about here. We do see the positive side of things--like the CBS special Elvis In Concert, for example, and we see those things even if they are masked in negative elements (which we don't deny, by the way).

We also like some lame songs and lame movies which we would certainly ignore if they featured anyone else, and it might not even be the case that Elvis made them good. He just made them, therefore we think they have merit.

But to me all of this is just what being a fan is all about. It's kind of like unconditional love; it's not a matter of not seeing a person's faults but a matter of those things not making you dislike that person. And in the case of being an Elvis fan I think many feel that the faults, those humanizing traits really add to the appeal.

Those who do not see the complete truth wherever it makes itself available don't understand what they are missing. If they can't take the glasses off maybe some green contacts would do the trick. ;)

Diane
09-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Beautifully said Lonnie......thank you(y)

Diane

Lonniebealestreet
09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Well thank you, Diane. :king:

The King's Queen
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
As others have essentially said, to me the wearing of rose-colored glasses implies a refusal to see the truth or some inability to acknowledge it. In my opinion those who wear them cannot admit that they do.

There is something else that many of us fans do which is probably more along the lines of what is being asked about here. We do see the positive side of things--like the CBS special Elvis In Concert, for example, and we see those things even if they are masked in negative elements (which we don't deny, by the way).

We also like some lame songs and lame movies which we would certainly ignore if they featured anyone else, and it might not even be the case that Elvis made them good. He just made them, therefore we think they have merit.

But to me all of this is just what being a fan is all about. It's kind of like unconditional love; it's not a matter of not seeing a person's faults but a matter of those things not making you dislike that person. And in the case of being an Elvis fan I think many feel that the faults, those humanizing traits really add to the appeal.

Those who do not see the complete truth wherever it makes itself available don't understand what they are missing. If they can't take the glasses off maybe some green contacts would do the trick. ;)

Good...no, GREAT post Lonnie...you said it all! :clap: :notworthy

poormansgold76
09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I used to own a paired, few years, that's was in early 1980's. My mother had them long time
from 1968 to early 90's, I used my liked as Sunglasses more
TOM

ksimms2
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM

2 simple words - that really explains it all: UNCONDITIONAL LOVE :hug:

Burning_Love
09-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Very Well Said Lonnie.

The King's Queen
09-07-2007, 06:23 PM
2 simple words - that really explains it all: UNCONDITIONAL LOVE :hug:

BRAVO...my friend! :clap: :notworthy :clap:

Jailhouse-Rocker
09-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Well,

Marija

couldn't agree more with you!! i don't really own a pair, and i accept Elvis' bad points, because that made him human.
However, i prefer to dwell on the good points! its not that i don't think he has bad points, but i think that you should always look to the good side of people. i hope i'm making sense :lol:

xxxxxx

marijaep
09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
couldn't agree more with you!! i don't really own a pair, and i accept Elvis' bad points, because that made him human.
However, i prefer to dwell on the good points! its not that i don't think he has bad points, but i think that you should always look to the good side of people. i hope i'm making sense :lol:

xxxxxx

Yep lol, you are making sense ;) :P
Thanks! :clap:

Marija

Cherokee
09-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Diane

Not just not being able to see anything bad in their object of
obsession/affection, but to also be in denial about not seeing
anything bad and to make up excuses for anything bad that
others may mention. Like the old timers here may remember,
I became a fan through my older sister. She's a rose colored
glass wearer, whereas I'm not. I remember being a teenager
and us watching the CBS concert together. Neither of us
had seen any recent material of him (we live in The Netherlands)
so the last physical impression we had of him was "Aloha from
Hawaii". I immediately said something like "Whoa, what the
heck is wrong with him? His face is so bloated and what's up
with his eyes?" Yet, my sister only said "He MAY HAVE gained
a few pounds.".......:lol:
When she saw pictures of him in his last year in the
newspaper, after he died, she - at first - told me emphatically:
"No, you're wrong, that's not him. That's an impersonator!":lmfao:
She was quite literally stunned when she began to realize
how much he had changed since Aloha, and that often old
stock photos were used for album covers etc.

Those who do not see the complete truth wherever it makes itself available don't understand what they are missing. If they can't take the glasses off maybe some green contacts would do the trick.

Exactly. And besides: all round perfection usually is very boring.

poormansgold76
09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
yup Elvis was a very complex person, I know That because I'm Complex person too.
God Made me and Elvis complex person, I'm little deff'net complex way with me have speech probelm that's made me some complex person.
Tom

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 01:58 AM
yup Elvis was a very complex person, I know That because I'm Complex person too.
God Made me and Elvis complex person, I'm little deff'net complex way with me have speech probelm that's made me some complex person.
Tom

Tom, we are ALL complex in one way or another. God gives us different talents and abilities, and yes, even challenges to overcome. It doesn't make us any less valuable than the person that we look at and think "Wow...he/she has it all!". Those people who appear to "have it all", have their complexities as well...even though it may not show outwardly. If anything, IMO, having something to overcome like a speech problem or learning disability, for example, only helps one to grow as a person. It does tend to make you keenly aware of how unfair some people can be...but it also makes you a strong person, both in character and in your soul. Some of the best hearted people in this world have had to overcome difficulties...just like Elvis himself! He overcame poverty...rejection by his peers....lonliness....and various other things...and all the while, he was developing into the wonderful humanitarian that he was! God knows what He is doing.... :)

Merry
09-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Tom, we are ALL complex in one way or another. God gives us different talents and abilities, and yes, even challenges to overcome. It doesn't make us any less valuable than the person that we look at and think "Wow...he/she has it all!". Those people who appear to "have it all", have their complexities as well...even though it may not show outwardly. If anything, IMO, having something to overcome like a speech problem or learning disability, for example, only helps one to grow as a person. It does tend to make you keenly aware of how unfair some people can be...but it also makes you a strong person, both in character and in your soul. Some of the best hearted people in this world have had to overcome difficulties...just like Elvis himself! He overcame poverty...rejection by his peers....lonliness....and various other things...and all the while, he was developing into the wonderful humanitarian that he was! God knows what He is doing.... :)

Beautifully said, Queenie.

Hugs,
Kimmi

P.S. Tom, please take care! (y)

rhythmknights
09-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Rose Colored Glasses, huh? :hmm: My brother & my favorite movie as kids was the Lion King. We watched so much we knew all the words to it. We could recite on demand & even when it wasn't demand. There?s that one scene when Rafiki, the Mystic whacks Simba over the head with this walking stick. Simba asks why he did that. It doesn?t matter, it?s in the past.
Simba replies, yeah but it hurt. Rafiki says kind of sad like, ?Yes, the past can hurt!?
That?s what my rose colored glasses do. The past hurts, but we can learn from it & move on or let it maim us & stand still. I think Elvis was a Movin? On kind of guy. (There's my rose glasses)
am I being pathetic?:'( well, the month just began & I?m dead broke, my purse got stolenwhile I was at a club last night but since I?m dead broke, they got no money from me. The purse was kind of expensive gift from an ex ? so I?m not really sad that it?s gone, but still, it had my license & my one credit card ? that no one can use & I have a major paper due next week. Okay, off my pity pot. Who?s next?

btw, Elvis was very human & he kept telling us he was. "An image is hard to live up too!" If we didn't see it it wasn't because he kept trying to hide it. And even though he was one superfly handsome kinda guy back in the day, my favorite look was in the late 70s - like KingsQueen avatar. Sure he was on the chunkymunkey side, but i still love it! And this is one helluva thread, thanks! :notworthy

A million words could not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither could a million tears, I know because I've cried.

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 03:09 AM
rhythmknights...you said it well babe! (y) I loved Elvis...faults and all. Any age, and any stage...he was "ALL THAT" to me...:king::P

Getlo
09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
We do see the positive side of things--like the CBS special Elvis In Concert, for example, and we see those things even if they are masked in negative elements (which we don't deny, by the way).

Unfortunately, Lonnie, a lot of fans do deny the negative truths; and this does a huge disservice to Elvis' legacy and to Elvis in the 21st century.

Donut
09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
To me a clear synthom of wearing rose colored glasses is having an excuse for every action Elvis did in his life. I think some fans have turned Elvis into their personal Jesus or something like that or need to think he was different from the rest of us. If that isn?t the reason I can?t understand how can they give Elvis the privilege of understanding his reasons for doing certain things and can?t have the same atittude with those around him, if this is not wearing a big pair I don?t know what can it be...

Getlo
09-09-2007, 01:57 PM
To me a clear synthom of wearing rose colored glasses is having an excuse for every action Elvis did in his life. I think some fans have turned Elvis into their personal Jesus or something like that or need to think he was different from the rest of us. If that isn?t the reason I can?t understand how can they give Elvis the privilege of understanding his reasons for doing certain things and can?t have the same atittude with those around him, if this is not wearing a big pair I don?t know what can it be...

Good point! (y)

Some people slam the Memphis Mafia and others around Elvis, all the while ignoring the fact that he was doing exactly the same things ...

marijaep
09-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I can see that everyone has his/her own definition of the so-called 'Rose Colored Glasses'
I said i own one of them lol, but I (when I wear them lol) don't use them as an excuse. And that doesn't mean that i am trying to ignore the truth or something like that. I consider myself as a true fan and I accept Elvis as he was.
Sometimes i am fed up of discussing the mans faults and his death, addiction etc. and would like to talk about the good things about his life and have some fun :clap:

This is a good thread Queenie :D

Merry
09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Good point! (y)

Some people slam the Memphis Mafia and others around Elvis, all the while ignoring the fact that he was doing exactly the same things ...

In my opinion, the difference is, is that the Presleys have taken the higher ground, and aren't writing books, betraying confidences told in friendship and trust, to make money about what the MM got up to (as the MM did to their friend. "With friends like that, who needs .......").

Elvis' true friends, have spoken about Elvis' challenges publicly, difference is, they speak about him with love, empathy and understanding, talking about the whole man as a human being with challenges, like all of us, not talking about him to sensationalise stories, to again, sell another book (for Elvis week or the like) and to attempt to justify their behaviour.

Getlo
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
the difference is, is that the Presleys have taken the higher ground, and aren't writing books, betraying confidences told in friendship and trust, ... not talking about him to sensationalise stories, to again, sell another book (for Elvis week or the like) and to attempt to justify their behaviour.

ELVIS AND ME - Priscilla "Presley";
ELVIS BY THE PRESLEYS - greenlighted by Cilla, Lisa and EPE;
A PRESLEY SPEAKS - Vester Presley;
The Stanley books - they were family, like it or not;
THE PRESLEY FAMILY & FRIENDS COOKBOOK - Donna Early Presley;
Grandpa Jessie - sold his story to the highest bidder in the 50s, and traded on the family link for many years, despite the estrangement;
And all the stuff done by Lisa and Cilla for the 30th anniversary.

etc etc

And Lisa's book ... when she inevitably writes one. :blush:

In short, the family has traded in on the Presley name just as much as the MM and non-blood relatives. It's just that most of their stuff is sanitised way beyond belief.

Donut
09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Aren?t Guralnick?s books supported and recommended by EPE? As far as I know they are full of quotes from the MM...

marijaep
09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Aren?t Guralnick?s books supported and recommended by EPE? As far as I know they are full of quotes from the MM...

Yes, I think they are, you are right.
But...they are one of the best books ever written about Elvis according to me :D:clap:

Burning_Love
09-09-2007, 03:02 PM
But...they are one of the best books ever written about Elvis according to me :D:clap:

Thanks for that Marija, i will now think about buying it as you and a lot of others seem to like it !!(y):clap::king:

Cherokee
09-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Grandpa Jessie - sold his story to the highest bidder in the 50s, and traded on the family link for many years, despite the estrangement;

etc etc

In short, the family has traded in on the Presley name just as much as the MM and non-blood relatives. It's just that most of their stuff is sanitised way beyond belief.

No kidding! The darned colonel was right when he said the selling
of Elvis by him before his death would pale in comparison by the
selling of Elvis AFTER his death, by the heirs.

presley31
09-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Too right Marija(y)

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
No kidding! The darned colonel was right when he said the selling
of Elvis by him before his death would pale in comparison by the
selling of Elvis AFTER his death, by the heirs.

By heirs...friends...family...and everyone else! LOL..Guess the ol' Colonel was right about that! :blink:

Diane
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
But who started it all and put it into their lil old heads????:blink:

Diane

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
But who started it all and put it into their lil old heads????:blink:

Diane

:lmfao:That's the truth! :lmfao:

Merry
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM

etc etc

In my opinion, there are people who like to harp on the same thing (prescription drugs, yes, he had them) and then there are those who say things with love, (his family, friends and fans) empathy and understanding for the whole story, who didn't happen to betray Elvis' confidence and friendship.

If anyone has a right to use Elvis' name, it is his daughter, and the fans would be upset, if Graceland (and promotions of Elvis' music) weren't still going. Where I live, families do keep family businesses going, when they have an interest in them.

4THEHEART
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
don't know others but I guess Elvis had to wear those glasses to keep his sanity..afterall,things weren't rose coloured around him..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/tibis/rose.jpg

The King's Queen
09-09-2007, 11:23 PM
don't know others but I guess Elvis had to wear those glasses to keep his sanity..afterall,things weren't rose coloured around him..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/tibis/rose.jpg

LOL...Great post! (y)

Lonniebealestreet
09-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Unfortunately, Lonnie, a lot of fans do deny the negative truths; and this does a huge disservice to Elvis' legacy and to Elvis in the 21st century.

I think I'm with you on this, Getlo, but could you explain further?

Are you talking about things like this (http://www.elvisconcertmyths.com/Welcome.html)?

Awickedreigndrop
09-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Rose Colored Glasses, huh? :hmm: My brother & my favorite movie as kids was the Lion King. We watched so much we knew all the words to it. We could recite on demand & even when it wasn't demand. There?s that one scene when Rafiki, the Mystic whacks Simba over the head with this walking stick. Simba asks why he did that. It doesn?t matter, it?s in the past.
Simba replies, yeah but it hurt. Rafiki says kind of sad like, ?Yes, the past can hurt!?
That?s what my rose colored glasses do. The past hurts, but we can learn from it & move on or let it maim us & stand still. I think Elvis was a Movin? On kind of guy. (There's my rose glasses)
am I being pathetic?:'( well, the month just began & I?m dead broke, my purse got stolenwhile I was at a club last night but since I?m dead broke, they got no money from me. The purse was kind of expensive gift from an ex ? so I?m not really sad that it?s gone, but still, it had my license & my one credit card ? that no one can use & I have a major paper due next week. Okay, off my pity pot. Who?s next?

btw, Elvis was very human & he kept telling us he was. "An image is hard to live up too!" If we didn't see it it wasn't because he kept trying to hide it. And even though he was one superfly handsome kinda guy back in the day, my favorite look was in the late 70s - like KingsQueen avatar. Sure he was on the chunkymunkey side, but i still love it! And this is one helluva thread, thanks! :notworthy

A million words could not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither could a million tears, I know because I've cried.

I love that movie like that too. And that Rafiki scene was a great example. I guess my rose colored glasses are transition lenses.. Just like everyone else does, I know Elvis was human and had flaws. Who doesn't? I like to see the good in people but I don't deny their bad sides either. So what I am saying is, what ever flaw Elvis had he also had something good to match.

Dovey
09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
(y)(y)(y)I agree with you 100% Zey (4THEHEART) Dovey :D

Getlo
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I think I'm with you on this, Getlo, but could you explain further?

Are you talking about things like this (http://www.elvisconcertmyths.com/Welcome.html)?

Yeah, Lonnie, I've seen that site before. A total loon runs it (someone on here, maybe?? :lol: Hmmm ...)

Most people never said Elvis was totally drugged out at that particular show, but he sure was under the influence of his "medications". If the person who runs this site has taken the time to out all this crap together, then they're living in a state of complete denial, and there's simply no help for them ...

presley31
09-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes he was on the drugs and saying how he felt, it must of bugged elvis alot to say something out in public considing he a private man.

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes he was on the drugs and saying how he felt, it must of bugged elvis alot to say something out in public considing he a private man.

Agreed, Jen! (y) He was a private man, very private...but sometimes enough is enough...and that often happens when we are "under the influence", since that sort of loosens one up, so to speak. Either way...he was only human. This is not something that hasn't been done by many others...:P

Getlo
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

Possibly. But I think the media stories at the time about Elvis being "strung out on heroin" hit a little too close to home.

Elvis wasn't on heroin, obviously, but I believe the combination of the "medications" and the paranoia from the increased media speculation led to him lashing out like he did.

But I've always said he shouldn't have done it from the stage; very unprofessional, especially when he ended up using the F-word during one or two shows.

presley31
09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Drugs do that to you, they bring all sorts of things out, no wonder elvis was talking the way he did.

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Possibly. But I think the media stories at the time about Elvis being "strung out on heroin" hit a little too close to home.

Elvis wasn't on heroin, obviously, but I believe the combination of the "medications" and the paranoia from the increased media speculation led to him lashing out like he did.

But I've always said he shouldn't have done it from the stage; very unprofessional, especially when he ended up using the F-word during one or two shows.

With all due respect Getlo, I too wish he would have been able to maintain the dignity that he almost always displayed in front of his fans...but I don't know for sure if I would call it "unprofessional" necessarily. If you consider that unprofessional, you must have a lot of criticism for some of today's entertainers...:supriced:...they use those words in song lyrics nowadays...and some of the antics that are in their "on stage" performances are way worse than what Elvis did...IMO. :)

ksimms2
09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I can see that everyone has his/her own definition of the so-called 'Rose Colored Glasses'
I said i own one of them lol, but I (when I wear them lol) don't use them as an excuse. And that doesn't mean that i am trying to ignore the truth or something like that. I consider myself as a true fan and I accept Elvis as he was.
Sometimes i am fed up of discussing the mans faults and his death, addiction etc. and would like to talk about the good things about his life and have some fun :clap:

This is a good thread Queenie :D

Marijaep, very well said...I completely agree. While I don't dispute his faults at all, he was only human, and it does not change the way I feel about him at all......

Getlo
09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
If you consider that unprofessional, you must have a lot of criticism for some of today's entertainers

I consider it unprofessional of any artist to bring their personal problems to the stage or into their work.

As for the swearing, it was unprofessional on Elvis' part because of his image. Many artists today incorporate swearing into their acts, but Elvis did not. They are two entirely different scenarios. Besides, there were kids in the audience that night in Vegas, presumably.

Also, there's the great ironic hypocrisy of Elvis denying to the world from his "pulpit" that he was not on drugs, when of course he was. The fact that they were not heroin or whatever is irrelevant.

presley31
09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Elvis was human and had faults, you can`t hold this against him.

Lonniebealestreet
09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Today's entertainers cannot be compared to Elvis and regardless of our sympathizing with him for lashing out, any way you slice it I think you have to consider it unprofessional. Sadly that word can be applied to many aspects of Elvis' concerts in his final decade, as enjoyable as they may have been and in spite of the fact that I would push my own grandmother down the steps for a chance to have witnessed one. (Only kidding.)

Getlo, I agree that the author of that site and those books is in complete denial and while I prefer to deal in truth there is a part of me that respects the good intentions...just as I do with the figures in the Elvis world who are still giving a whitewashed account of times spent with their famous friend out of loyalty.

Getlo
09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Elvis was human and had faults, you can`t hold this against him.

I hold nothing against Elvis.

Yes, Elvis was human. That statement has been written dozens of times since I've been on here, and almost countless times on other forums.

Everyone is human. Obviously.

And, in this particular instance, Elvis was an unprofessional and out of control ... human.

presley31
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
true but he had far more great concerts than this one.

Diane
09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I've heard this speech from Elvis and read about it countless times....big deal! So what if he was under the influence and spouted off about what was bothering him? He apparently went on to give one of his best concerts afterward and isn't he entitled like every other human being to lose it or vent now and then?

Of course it wasn't "professional" but that very thing is what made Elvis so dear to all his fans all those years. He revealed his personality on stage like no other performer before or since. That was part of what made Elvis "Elvis".

The man was in trouble, no doubt about it and for those who feel we must know every single wrong thing that he said and did, well that has been talked about and dissected for over 30 years now and the whole world knows every detail so why do some feel they have to keep this going forever and ever and try to over-shadow all the positive side of Elvis? Why do we have to continually have that thrown in our faces? There's something not quite healthy about that to me.

Diane

marijaep
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Marijaep, very well said...I completely agree. While I don't dispute his faults at all, he was only human, and it does not change the way I feel about him at all......

Hey Kelly, nice to see someone with same opinion. Thanks :hug:
Marija

marijaep
09-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I've heard this speech from Elvis and read about it countless times....big deal! So what if he was under the influence and spouted off about what was bothering him? He apparently went on to give one of his best concerts afterward and isn't he entitled like every other human being to lose it or vent now and then?

Of course it wasn't "professional" but that very thing is what made Elvis so dear to all his fans all those years. He revealed his personality on stage like no other performer before or since. That was part of what made Elvis "Elvis".

The man was in trouble, no doubt about it and for those who feel we must know every single wrong thing that he said and did, well that has been talked about and dissected for over 30 years now and the whole world knows every detail so why do some feel they have to keep this going forever and ever and try to over-shadow all the positive side of Elvis? Why do we have to continually have that thrown in our faces? There's something not quite healthy about that to me.

Diane

I totally agree with you Diane (y)

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Diane

Great way to put it Diane...(y)

Getlo
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
there is a part of me that respects the good intentions...just as I do with the figures in the Elvis world who are still giving a whitewashed account of times spent with their famous friend out of loyalty.

Their intentions are good, perhaps.

But it's the ramifications of these intentions that will only tarnish the fans and Elvis' legacy.

Fans living in the "tra la la, Elvis was a perfect God" world do just as much of a disservice (in the long run) as those who run him down with scant evidence to back their claims.

presley31
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Getlo we don`t live in lalalala land we just want to remember the happy times elvis had instead of dwelling on his past mistakes.

marijaep
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Getlo we don`t live in lalalala land we just want to remember the happy times elvis had instead of dwelling on his past mistakes.

Exactly Jen, THANK YOU :clap::notworthy

Getlo
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

As I said, "Fans living in the 'tra la la, Elvis was a perfect God'" - if you took that to include yourself, then that's nothing to do with me.

And to discuss certain aspects of Elvis' career which may be unsavoury is not "dwelling". From what I have seen so far, threads like this generate more hits than those about Elvis' hair colour or his pets etc.

presley31
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I for one want to remember the good times elvis had instead of the bad.

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
As I said, "Fans living in the 'tra la la, Elvis was a perfect God'" - if you took that to include yourself, then that's nothing to do with me.

And to discuss certain aspects of Elvis' career which may be unsavoury is not "dwelling". From what I have seen so far, threads like this generate more hits than those about Elvis' hair colour or his pets etc.

I've noticed a couple of posts where you make reference to Elvis in his "pulpit", "a perfect God"...ect. I have yet to see anyone on this forum proclaim him as such... Not sure why this is even being brought up...:hmm:

Possibly the reason that these types of discussions get so much attention is the fact that there are such differences in opinion...:blink: :)

Getlo
09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I've noticed a couple of posts where you make reference to Elvis in his "pulpit", "a perfect God"...ect. I have yet to see anyone on this forum proclaim him as such... Not sure why this is even being brought up...:hmm:

Possibly the reason that these types of discussions get so much attention is the fact that there are such differences in opinion...:blink: :)

Quite possibly, yes.

As for your first point, it's just the impression I get from reading some people's posts on here ... that Elvis could do no wrong, that he was almost perfect.

As I mentioned somewhere else, this is especially prevalent when the conversation turns to the Memphis Mafia. Some on here accuse them of all sorts of things (many completely unfounded), when Elvis did exactly those same things to them, and others. Like most people, Elvis could be nasty and vindictive if provoked. And as I have said, it is better to tell the truth about Elvis, rather than only allow the "nice" things to surface. Full and frank discussions make Elvis a more interesting a well-rounded figure, IMO.

To discuss negative things at length is not "dwelling" as I said earlier. Why is the same charge not levelled at threads about jumpsuits - how long has that rather pointless and confusing thread gone on about the Aloha suit and cape/s? Too long. But I choose not to participate there because I lost interest after the first few posts.

Personally, I think this thread - and the ones about Dr Nick, the debate re the Graceland revamp and the MM's revelations - have been the most interesting of late.

Diane
09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I for one also get disgusted when someone seems to think of Elvis as "the perfect god" or a Jesus-like figure or a sex object. I don't and never have seen him as any of those, just a human being with a very special voice and personality who happened to be a very handsome man that deserves to be admired for his talent. I was always very aware of his "flaws" but then I didn't know anyone including myself who didn't have any........

Diane

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Very true Diane...and that was why I was asking Getlo about the characterization that he was using. I personally have never looked at Elvis as a "God"...nor do I believe him to be perfect. I just don't like constantly having to consider his faults...it is much more pleasant to remember his good attributes. :)

Now, as for the sex object thing...;) I may have put him in that category a time or two... :lmfao: :lmfao: He was quite honestly probably the most handsome man that I have ever seen. Again, that's my opinion. :blush:

marijaep
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Very true Diane...and that was why I was asking Getlo about the characterization that he was using. I personally have never looked at Elvis as a "God"...nor do I believe him to be perfect. I just don't like constantly having to consider his faults...it is much more pleasant to remember his good attributes. :)

Now, as for the sex object thing...;) I may have put him in that category a time or two... :lmfao: :lmfao: He was quite honestly probably the most handsome man that I have ever seen. Again, that's my opinion. :blush:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:
Good and honest post Lea (nice name you got...just found out about it:clap:)

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks Marija....:P

presley31
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
well said queenie, There`s more good things to talk about then elvis`s faults.

The King's Queen
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks Jen...:hug:

Diane
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh don't misjudge me there King'sQueen, I was never unaware of Elvis' looks. I also think he was the most beautiful man I'd seen then or now. It's just that I see people in their entirety whether I'm attracted to them or not. I guess I just don't like the term sex object as it's so limiting. There was so much more to the man which is why I was attracted....am I making myself understood? :lol:

Diane

marijaep
09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh don't misjudge me there King'sQueen, I was never unaware of Elvis' looks. I also think he was the most beautiful man I'd seen then or now. It's just that I see people in their entirety whether I'm attracted to them or not. I guess I just don't like the term sex object as it's so limiting. There was so much more to the man which is why I was attracted....am I making myself understood? :lol:

Diane

lol, yes Diane, always...........;) (y)

4THEHEART
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
that makes me feel so sad for him that even his fans can't stand to share a troubled moment of this man..he must have felt more sincere feelings to his fans than they feel for him..we still talking about a moment in his life as if it was the biggest disaster..even some entertainers who sees their audience/fans as a sold ticket only,don't get this much of a criticism.Some people here keep reminding us that he was a human too as if it's a new finding,so why can't they understand a very human behaviour that came from Elvis that night..good things are always forgotten..

Diane
09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
It seems to be that that is the way world is now Zey and it is very sad that sensationalism wins out over the good in people.

Diane

Lonniebealestreet
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Their intentions are good, perhaps.

But it's the ramifications of these intentions that will only tarnish the fans and Elvis' legacy.

Fans living in the "tra la la, Elvis was a perfect God" world do just as much of a disservice (in the long run) as those who run him down with scant evidence to back their claims.

I do agree and have always said that EPE's tendency to ignore all things post-Aloha is indeed very damaging. What is worse: speaking frankly about something, addressing the less than perfect details in an honest way (but obviously in a way that is controlled*), or totally failing to deal with it, giving the impression to all who don't know that the truth is so unspeakable and all the stories that have been told must be true? Post-Aloha Elvis is this crazy uncle EPE keeps tied up in the basement.

* - By that I don't mean that you still whitewash but if certain details are being addressed, it can still be done in a light that is not so damaging. If EPE is not addressing things, people latch onto that and say and think the worst because they are not hearing otherwise. But if they are putting the information out there then they are controlling it. They can be frank without being sensational, in other words.

I do credit them for using the EIC footage on the tour and more and more over the years in various specials, but it's still not enough IMO and for the most part they just hardly ever use any photos at all from the last few years, and that's unfortunate. I know they would need to get the rights and all that jazz, but the fact that we all know here is that there are many great photos from every year of the man's life, '77 included. And if those photos were put out there and their dates were cited people would realize that Elvis was not just this grossly obese guy at the end of his life like so many people would have you think; I believe such photos could really do some good. So many of them are not just good for (insert year) but just great photos in any context.

ricardo b. prospero
09-11-2007, 03:20 AM
I believe it all depend on who is wearing it. You want to see what you believe and sometimes you want believe what you believe.

" Each person is unique and different. All of us are following our own track
in life only with one common terminal station at the end of the track"

elvisfan.77
09-16-2007, 02:25 AM
im befuddled!lol

Lisarose
09-16-2007, 04:42 AM
I love that movie like that too. And that Rafiki scene was a great example. I guess my rose colored glasses are transition lenses.. Just like everyone else does, I know Elvis was human and had flaws. Who doesn't? I like to see the good in people but I don't deny their bad sides either. So what I am saying is, what ever flaw Elvis had he also had something good to match.

Transition lenses? I love that! :lol: When I was much younger (Elvis fan for 40 + years) my glasses were rose colored! Now I know better, but I don't care. I'm just at a point where I figure it doesn't matter, after all, he's dead, and yet his legacy still exists-it still brings him & his music to younger fans & we older fans are still in the game. And because Elvis is dead – well, it’s easy for me to overlook his faults, I was raised in a time where we didn’t speak ill of the dead. IMO, all the good he did outweighs any of the bad, I’d like to think my glasses are transition ones, but really they’re still rose colored.

Merry
09-16-2007, 09:15 AM
It seems to be that that is the way world is now Zey and it is very sad that sensationalism wins out over the good in people.

Diane

You've made some very good points on this thread, Diane.

4ThHeart, as always, I agree with your thoughts.

Kim

Suzan
09-16-2007, 10:48 AM

I would have to agree w/that statement wholeheartedly.
I see things for what they are, for example, Elvis, I know he had his faults, he was human, as we all are, but that does not mean I will dwell on the bad, because to me his good outweighed all the bad. I also look at it as stuff we've learned AFTER he was gone, therefore we don't have a fair balance, he is not here to either confirm nor deny, so I take what is told me, what I read, what I hear, w/a grain of salt. :):D
Also what Lisarose said, I was taught not to speak ill of the dead or those that are not here to defend themselves or give their side of the situation.:)