PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read this book???

The King's Queen
08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
I am getting ready to read the book:

Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

Has anyone read it? If so, is it worth the time? I "swore off" the EP books quite some time ago, because most of them seemed to be one-sided and untruthful. Just wondering about this one...:blink:

ksimms2
08-29-2007, 02:25 AM
no I haven't read this one, I did read, Jerry Schilling's, Me and a guy named Elvis and it was very good. I am also getting from a friend a couple of Elvis books, I'll let you know once I read them, I think one is called "Down at the end of lonely street" and the other is just called, "Elvis" by Albert Goldman or someone. Plus I ordered Joe Esposito's new book and it hasn't come in yet

torpor97
08-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Ive read Joes book. I really liked it. It has quotes from alot of people that knew and worked with Elvis. The one thing I noticed is that he says that he and everyone around Elvis tried to help him as much as they could or that he would let them help, but the fans accepted him the way he was so he didnt work harder on getting back into shape and that if the fans would have sworn to leave him he would have done something about it. As fans blame those guys, the guys blame the fans. I guess we all loved him to much.

CRITTERGITTER
08-29-2007, 03:21 AM
DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY. PEOPLE WERE GLUING THE PAGES TOGETHER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.

T_J
08-29-2007, 03:31 AM

Has anyone read it? If so, is it worth the time? I "swore off" the EP books quite some time ago, because most of them seemed to be one-sided and untruthful. Just wondering about this one...:blink:

One of the best, along with the first volume - Last Train to Memphis. It's not always pleasant reading, but it's compassionate and appears to be a true account.

gpowers
08-29-2007, 04:19 AM
when you finish let us know what its about and if its worth us buying it. thanks

presley31
08-29-2007, 04:31 AM
I did enjoy reading that book, it makes a good read.

Suzan
08-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Yes I have it, it is a rather good book, I enjoyed reading it, had some interesting tidbits in it. :D

Menwithbrokenhearts
08-29-2007, 07:05 AM
I read both book in this set. REad "Last Train to Memphis" first. Guralnick researched that book 10 years and when you read it you are literally transported back in time. When I read "Careless Love" I felt like it was rushed together and drew from alot of already published books. It's still pretty good, but he says stuff about how bloated and ill Elvis looked on Aloha and how his voice wasn't up to par. I totally disagreed with that. There's a few other things I felt were thrown in there without much research. It's still a good read, and really sad at the end.

Suzan
08-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I read both book in this set. REad "Last Train to Memphis" first. Guralnick researched that book 10 years and when you read it you are literally transported back in time. When I read "Careless Love" I felt like it was rushed together and drew from alot of already published books. It's still pretty good, but he says stuff about how bloated and ill Elvis looked on Aloha and how his voice wasn't up to par. I totally disagreed with that. There's a few other things I felt were thrown in there without much research. It's still a good read, and really sad at the end.

I have to agree w/u on the point about Aloha, now if he'd said that about some of Elvis' 76 performances or 77, I'd be like...hmmm well ok...but not the Aloha and NO WAY did he look bloated, so not quite on the mark w/that.
What I did find interesting is interview w/Pris where she said Elvis TOLD HER about Ann-Margret and his women, that he didn't hide it, yet all other accts. supposedly he denied???? So that was very revealing to me.
I have the first edition and there is actually a typo in it that he or publisher changed in the other printings...under the family pic of Elvis, Lisa & Pris it says 1971 but it's really 1970...I thought that was cool, don't know why but I do rof.:)

Burning_Love
08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Oooo i have always wanted to read this so i would like to know..is it worth buying ??

Suzan
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Burning Love :D
I think so...
The book I REALLY love though, by this author is Elvis Day by Day, EXCELLENT.:D

riley
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
it is a good book but often sad too

Rhinestone
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
It chronicled well the dates and events in his life. Even though there's no such thing as a "perfect" biography...authors can't help but conveying own perspective and information may be incomplete...this book, along with Last Train to Memphis is well researched and is the best biography about Elvis, IMO. But, it was so sad and heartbreaking reading the last half of this book. I've never felt such emotion reading a book.

jatta-tcb
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
I have read it and I have to say it is the best biography ever made.. and many people have said same.

I also think it is a quite sad sometimes.. really emontional book.

There are some unbelievable things.. and as I know the book is the truth story even so much stuff you never could believe.

I really recommend it. (y)

I have planned to read it second time soon..

ksimms2
08-29-2007, 11:13 AM
DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY. PEOPLE WERE GLUING THE PAGES TOGETHER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.

thanks for the advice, there are so many Elvis books out there and you just never know which to read. I try and get everyone's perspective because somewhere in between is the truth.

The King's Queen
08-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I have ordered the book, and am waiting for it to arrive. I will read it...although so many comments have labeled it as "sad"...:'( ...I must admit that I am dreading it in a way. I have this uncanny knack of suffering with people...don't know why, but I've just always been that way...so I dread feeling his desparation in the last half of the book. However, when I do read it, I will certainly post on it to let everyone know my opinion. LOL...let's not forget that I have been accused of wearing those "rose colored glasses" when it comes to my man Elvis...so my opinion could be lop-sided! :doh: :lmfao:

Getlo
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
One of the best, along with the first volume - Last Train to Memphis. It's not always pleasant reading, but it's compassionate and appears to be a true account.

Agreed.

These two volumes together are fantastic reading! (y)

ksimms2
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I have ordered the book, and am waiting for it to arrive. I will read it...although so many comments have labeled it as "sad"...:'( ...I must admit that I am dreading it in a way. I have this uncanny knack of suffering with people...don't know why, but I've just always been that way...so I dread feeling his desparation in the last half of the book. However, when I do read it, I will certainly post on it to let everyone know my opinion. LOL...let's not forget that I have been accused of wearing those "rose colored glasses" when it comes to my man Elvis...so my opinion could be lop-sided! :doh: :lmfao:

I'm say way...I "live" their moments with them.....and it hurts....really bad.

bestseller92
08-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Albert Goldman made a career out of trashing dead celebs. He did the same hatchet job to John Lennon.

Burning_Love
08-30-2007, 01:09 AM
I think so...

Thanks Suzan...I'll look out for both ! :D;)(y)

marijaep
08-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I am preparing to read the book too lol:lmfao:
Few people have said to me that the book is very emotional so....:'(
I've read 'Last Train To Memphis', and it was really good, I loved it:clap:

Jailhouse-Rocker
08-30-2007, 08:58 PM
i'm reading "Last Train To Memphis" at the moment, and at the moment i find it very good. It really goes into a lot of detail about all aspects of Elvis' life and is a very interesting read. I'm liking it :D

TLC67
08-31-2007, 02:44 AM

I totally agree. When I read EWH I felt so hurt for him. I just can't imagine crushing somebody's spirit like that; especially someone so sensitive to other people's feelings.

retroprincess
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY...IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.

I second this.

I remember when it first came out in the early 80's, there was a movement amongst Elvis fans to actually write to Goldman and tell him precisely what we thought of his piece of crap. Someone actually published his home address in one of the fan magazines, and I am sure he was innundated with hate mail (which he certainly deserved!!!!)!! (y)

Getlo
08-31-2007, 11:27 PM
DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book.

Have to partially disagree here. Despite its many obvious flaws, it's very subjective biases and the almost searing hatred Goldman seemed to have for his subject and for Southerners in general, there were still many truths in it, despite what some would have you believe. And there are quite a few good anecdotes and stories, especially from the sixties.

I think many people were angered not so much with the subjects in the book, but moreso the unnecessarily vicious way in which some of them were portrayed. And there were far too many unsubstantiated stories for it to be taken as gospel.

And say what you will about the late Goldman, but the book itself (subject matter notwithstanding) was very well written, and many Elvis biographies could have used the same English and grammatical standards to be improved.

Read the book yourself to make up your own mind; there are some second-hand copies still around. I still have my copy sitting right alongside my other EP books ... gathering dust.

Getlo
08-31-2007, 11:29 PM

Has anyone read it?

Yeah, great book.

Hate to ruin it for you ... but Elvis dies in the end! :lol::lmfao:

ilovelvis
09-01-2007, 02:55 AM
I think so...

I also loved the book, Elvis Day By Day, and I don't read too many Elvis books (unless they are pictorial (y) or reference style books). I love the format it was written in, by date with information on each date, instead of just writing a chapter straight through. For me, that made it easier to read. There are also lots of great photos of artifacts like handbills from early Elvis shows (where I think they misspelled his name on one!) and all kinds of stuff. I would highly recommend this book!

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Jerry Hopkin's books are pretty good as well as the book by Maxine Brown, about the country group "The Browns, Jim Ed etcc) It has some great stories about being on the road with Elvis in the 50's and what it was like back then on the road, recording, etc.. One story she told at the EI convention in 2006 that's not in the book was about Elvis' first pink socks. Apparantly Maxine was in charge of laundry and one of her red panties got in the wash with all the boy's undergarments. They all wouldn't wear them until Maxine bleached them back out but Elvis took his socks and wouldn't let her bleach them out. She said he practically wore them every day and they started to get pretty rank. The guys tried to get him to wear another pair but he wouldn't . So, finally, one night on the road, Elvis was asleep and one of the boys took off his socks and threw them out the window. Elvis woke up with his socks gone and made them turn around and look for them. As Maxine says " After miles and miles, would you believe it, we found those **************** things after all!" We were all cracking up!.
John Wilkinson's book is pretty good also. Respectful.

Dovey
09-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for sharing the story about Elvis and the "red socks" Menwithbrokenhearts.:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: I have never heard it before and really enjoyed hearing it. Elvis sure was one of a kind!!! Dovey;)

Diane
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I have both Jerry Hopkins books and liked them. I read about the "pink socks" in some book too but can't remember which one - that was funny.

Diane

ilovelvis
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
John Wilkinson's book is pretty good also. Respectful.

Does this have a lot of concert and studio recording stories in it? This might be one I'm interested in reading.

Burning_Love
09-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow a lot of people replied here. I am intrigued in getting this book now as i LOVE reading --> Yes i do it for fun LOL :lmfao::lmfao: I have read many books including :
Me and Elvis (3 times)
Elvis and the MM (once)
Are you lonesome tonight (twice)
Orion (twice, my fave book everrr)
And loads more
But the one i did not enjoy was 'Me and a guy named Elvis', i found the chapters too long and i generally didn't like it. Please don't hate me :S
Thanks for the review on these books i might think about buying them :D:D

ksimms2
09-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Have to partially disagree here. Despite its many obvious flaws, it's very subjective biases and the almost searing hatred Goldman seemed to have for his subject and for Southerners in general, there were still many truths in it, despite what some would have you believe. And there are quite a few good anecdotes and stories, especially from the sixties.

I think many people were angered not so much with the subjects in the book, but moreso the unnecessarily vicious way in which some of them were portrayed. And there were far too many unsubstantiated stories for it to be taken as gospel.

And say what you will about the late Goldman, but the book itself (subject matter notwithstanding) was very well written, and many Elvis biographies could have used the same English and grammatical standards to be improved.

Read the book yourself to make up your own mind; there are some second-hand copies still around. I still have my copy sitting right alongside my other EP books ... gathering dust.

Thanks Getlo, I'd rather form my own opinion as you say....look at all the fur flying in our threads because of different opinions, I'm sure the same applies to the different books. But I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I'd just like to see for myself.

ksimms2
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow a lot of people replied here. I am intrigued in getting this book now as i LOVE reading --> Yes i do it for fun LOL :lmfao::lmfao: I have read many books including :
Me and Elvis (3 times)
Elvis and the MM (once)
Are you lonesome tonight (twice)
Orion (twice, my fave book everrr)
And loads more
But the one i did not enjoy was 'Me and a guy named Elvis', i found the chapters too long and i generally didn't like it. Please don't hate me :S
Thanks for the review on these books i might think about buying them :D:D

you didn't like Jerry's book? Really? i liked it - but keep in mind - was my first ever Elvis book....I'm working my way onto others as we speak.

Burning_Love
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
you didn't like Jerry's book? Really? i liked it - but keep in mind - was my first ever Elvis book....I'm working my way onto others as we speak.

Well, it wasn't my sort of thing, i enjoyed it, but not as much as i as hoping. It's the last book i read actually, i am waiting to buy some new ones.
My first Elvis book was Elvis and Me which i like and not many others, i guess we all have different opinions on things and what we read.
What books have you got that you recommend ?? :hmm:

jatta-tcb
09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I bought "me and guy named Elvis" one month ago but I haven't started it yet. It takes a long time to read it because it is in English.. and it isn't my native language :sad:

At the moment I am reading Jerry Hopkins's "Elvis The Final Days" and I have read it a quite long time already. Cuz it is in English. :blink:
Then I am reading "Elvis meets The Beatles" (easier to read because it is in Finnish) but it isn't that interesting book..so I don't recommend it (n)

Diane
09-03-2007, 01:41 AM
My two favorite books are Me and Elvis by Charlie Hodge and now I've forgotten the title but it's by Ed Parker. I highly recommend both of these.

Diane

torpor97
09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Why is Orion your favorate book ever? And is it Me and Elvis or Elvis and Me? Cause I ordered Me and a guy named Elvis and now after what u said I wish I hadnt. I value everyones opinion on here for what I might like so I should have waited. I love to read books that are feel good books about Elvis. I dont like to read bad stuff that makes want to hunt down the author and beat him with it.

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Does this have a lot of concert and studio recording stories in it? This might be one I'm interested in reading.

It does but only focuses on the Browns as far as studio recording. She does talk alot about touring with Elvis. But the book is primarily about the Browns. It is a fascinating and well written book about the industry, recording techniques and touring of that time period, as well as her life with her brother and sister group and her family and personal life. She doesn't pull any punches especially about record companies and execs from that time.
Oh and it's called "Looking Back to See" by Maxine Brown. I also met her and she really is a nice outspoken and genuine lady.

Lisarose
09-06-2007, 01:14 AM
I bought "me and guy named Elvis" one month ago but I haven't started it yet. It takes a long time to read it because it is in English.. and it isn't my native language :sad:

At the moment I am reading Jerry Hopkins's "Elvis The Final Days" and I have read it a quite long time already. Cuz it is in English. :blink:
Then I am reading "Elvis meets The Beatles" (easier to read because it is in Finnish) but it isn't that interesting book..so I don't recommend it (n)

I started reading Jerry Hopkins book, but it put me in a bad mood when he stated that Red West was Elvis' cousin! Get your facts right!

Lisarose
09-06-2007, 01:15 AM
It does but only focuses on the Browns as far as studio recording. She does talk alot about touring with Elvis. But the book is primarily about the Browns. It is a fascinating and well written book about the industry, recording techniques and touring of that time period, as well as her life with her brother and sister group and her family and personal life. She doesn't pull any punches especially about record companies and execs from that time.
Oh and it's called "Looking Back to See" by Maxine Brown. I also met her and she really is a nice outspoken and genuine lady.

Am putting this one in my shopping cart!

Diane
09-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Sounds like a good book to me too. I'm going to look for that one. Thank you MWBH for telling us about it.

Diane

JudyMcKinn
09-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Have any of you read the book "Elvis and Kathy" I think the name is, by Kathy Westmoreland? For some reason I would love to read it, but it just can't be found, as far as I can tell. If anyone has read it, what did you think of it?

jatta-tcb
09-06-2007, 03:46 AM
I started reading Jerry Hopkins book, but it put me in a bad mood when he stated that Red West was Elvis' cousin! Get your facts right! Yes, I noticed that... :lol: I think there may be more mistakes..

presley31
09-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Yes, I noticed that... :lol: I think there may be more mistakes..
no worries yadee we all make mistakes sometimes(y)

jatta-tcb
09-06-2007, 04:02 AM
no worries yadee we all make mistakes sometimes(y)

:D

Yes I am sure..but the writers should know right details before to write anything :P well..okay.. I am 100% sure that there are many books with wrong infos:P

Vissie
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I have read both volumes and, imo, the first volume focuses on factual, career data (somewhat dry reading). Personal moments in his life are given a few paragraphs while attention to recording sessions, back up singers, etc. is quite heavy.

Here is a quote from Elvis.com:

For the person who wants lots of detail, Peter Guralnick's books Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love explain the evolution of Elvis's recording and publishing deals rather well.

I agree. They mostly emphasize the business side of Elvis ~

Burning_Love
09-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Why is Orion your favorate book ever? And is it Me and Elvis or Elvis and Me? Cause I ordered Me and a guy named Elvis and now after what u said I wish I hadnt. I value everyones opinion on here for what I might like so I should have waited. I love to read books that are feel good books about Elvis. I dont like to read bad stuff that makes want to hunt down the author and beat him with it.

Hi, well i liked Orion because i like the imagination that you use, and i love using the imagination to do the talking Lol.

There was something about me and a guy named Elvis i didn't like, i liked the begining when he was talking about how they met and that but as it gets to the middle and end, it's very lllloooonnnnggg and boring, IMO. But you might read it and enjoy it, as most people have done (y):D:clap:

And it's Elvis And Me by Priscilla, that's a good book, i enjoyed it which i thought i wouldn't. (y)

:hug:
Danielle