PDA

View Full Version : Time Online: 50 Greatest Elvis Songs Ever.

presley31
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Time Online: 50 Greatest Elvis Songs Ever.

Elvis Presley recorded more than 700 tracks in his lifetime. So, how to pick his best song ever? It?s a daunting task for our critic. Have we got it right?

1. HOUND DOG

The intro explodes into your ears, and into the public consciousness, as only A Hard Day's Night and Anarchy In The UK have since. So intense, two minutes of sustained viciousness and sheer malicious glee.

2. SUSPICIOUS MINDS

As a mature and supremely confident Elvis harmonises with himself, you can feel the shackles of Hollywood falling away. The shock of the middle eight ("let our love survive") will make you catch your breath.

3. MYSTERY TRAIN

Singing high and free, even a runaway train can't take his gal away. Scotty Moore and Bill Black never played better, but Elvis's whoop of delight at the end takes the cake.

4. HEARTBREAK HOTEL

A freaky but inspired choice of first 45 for a major label. To enhance the atmosphere of seedy desolation, Elvis chose to record the vocal at the end of the studio corridor.

5. I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVING

Encapsulates the live, second-coming - his band never sounded better. The back-and-forths between Elvis and backing singers the Sweet Inspirations ("one more time... yeah, one more!") are the highlight.

6. SUSPICION

A teenage pre-cursor to Suspicious Minds, and almost as good. Shadowed by autoharp and a sinister bassline, the victim's pained politeness explodes into paranoia at the end of the chorus: "Why torture me?"

7. GOOD ROCKING TONIGHT

No less than an invitation to come join the teenage revolution. "We're gonna rock all our blues away" - the original slang usage of 'rock 'n' roll' was never more explicit.

8. DOING THE BEST I CAN

From the GI Blues soundtrack, a Pomus and Shuman ballad of abject surrender. The vocal gets under your skin, keening and helpless - no wonder girls melted.

9. ONE NIGHT

This snarling menace to American moral fibre had to be toned down from "one night of sin" to "one night with you," though the performance is so loaded with sexual promise they needn't have bothered.

10. TOMORROW IS A LONG TIME

Cut in 1966 between some of his worst movie scores, the delicate, haunted take on Bob Dylan's song hints at a parallel Elvis universe. Dylan has since hailed it as his favourite cover version.

11. CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE

Irresistibly tender. The world's favourite wedding song.

12. LITTLE SISTER

Nasty and playful rocker with a burning guitar line.

13. DON'T BE CRUEL

The minimal, hand-clapping groove sent this to number one in '56 for eleven weeks.

14. IT'S NOW OR NEVER

Inspired by Mario Lanza, adapted for a Cornetto ad, his biggest international hit.

15. POLK SALAD ANNIE

Sweaty, southern-fried highlight of his Vegas era.

16. ALL SHOOK UP

Introduced the classic "uh-huh-huh" to the Presley repertoire.

17. PLEASE DON'T STOP LOVING ME

Intense southern soul ballad buried on the b-side of Frankie And Johnny.

18. BLUE MOON

Eerie clip-clopping reading, with Elvis already sounding like his own ghost, haunting America in 1956.

19. CRAWFISH

The deepest, most atmospheric song about fishing you'll ever hear.

20. A MESS OF BLUES

A whisky-soaked Elvis beats himself up: "Whoops, there goes a teardrop..."

21. THAT?S ALL RIGHT

A little hesitant, but this is where it all began.

22. LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE

The tale of a poor southern singer gone too soon is delivered with unnerving emotion.

23. GUITAR MAN

Jerry Reed?s song was autobiographical, but Presley made it his, and a springboard for artistic renewal in ?68.

24. JAILHOUSE ROCK

DJ Fontana?s granite-breaking drums deserve co-star status.

25. LOVE ME TENDER

First suggestions of his Italianite leanings, this showed America the boy wasn?t always a hoodlum.

26. THAT?S SOMEONE YOU?LL NEVER FORGET

A graveyard ballad, though death is never mentioned directly, that could have been sung with his mum in mind.

27. ANY DAY NOW

True blue-eyed soul, a beautiful song from the ?69 Memphis sessions.

28. BURNING LOVE

If he wanted to, he could still take the dancefloor in the seventies.

29. VIVA LAS VEGAS

A minor hit at the time, a standard now.

30. AN AMERICAN TRILOGY

Elvis probably never knew Micky Newbury's patriotic showstopper was ironic.

31. TRYING TO GET YOU

Both the Sun original and the bellowing ?68 comeback version are impossible to resist.

32. A FOOL SUCH AS I

Messing about with his own myth in fine style.

33. RECONSIDER BABY

The dirtiest, truest blues he ever recorded. Boots Randolph?s sax break is filthy.

34. TROUBLE

Ludicrous lyric with an insanely aggressive delivery over a drunken, Tom and Jerry-esque Dixieland backing.

35. I?M LEAVIN?

?Tried so hard, so hard...? His most intense break-up song, this should be better known.

36. ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT

Country ham (it was Colonel Parker?s favourite song) handled with real emotion. That voice had an incredible arsenal.

37. IN THE GHETTO

Simplistic but affecting, this 1969 number one turned his career around.

38. RETURN TO SENDER

The Presley entry point for five-year olds.

39. SHE?S NOT YOU

Elvis?s best performances of the early sixties usually involved a love triangle lyric ? this slow-dance special was the strongest.

40. THE GIRL OF MY BEST FRIEND

Compelling and heart-breakingly sharp teen romance.

41. I?VE LOST YOU

Elvis, King of Pain, reflects on the imminent collapse of his marriage.

42. BABY LET?S PLAY HOUSE

Sam Phillips? echoed production and Elvis?s hiccoughs invent rockabilly in two minutes.

43. ALWAYS ON MY MIND

Regrets, he had more than a few.

44. I NEED SOMEBODY TO LEAN ON

The perfect lounge jazz-blues for 3 am, from Viva Las Vegas.

45. HIS LATEST FLAME

Bo Diddley beat with Latin touches, The Smiths built half their catalogue around it.

46. IT HURTS ME

A soulful roar from ?64, revisited to great effect in the Comeback Special.

47. WAY DOWN

He bowed out sounding pretty darn contemporary, though JD Sumner?s low, low bass notes take the limelight.

48. LOVE ME

Written by Leiber and Stoller as a self-parody; the reading is so sincere, you'd never know.

49. TOO MUCH

Constantly on the edge of falling apart but hard as nails, the archetypal tough rocker.

50. YOU?LL NEVER WALK ALONE

No matter how many times you?ve heard this song before, the intensity and belief of Elvis?s interpretation will floor you.

Diane
08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the list Jen, nice read. (y)

Diane

Albert
08-16-2007, 05:04 PM
well, I must agree that with the fact that these are fine songs. I like the fact that they didn't lean too much to the singles and hits (like BMG).

I'd prefer a completely different list of songs (and different sortings).

Is Hound Dog really better than for example Jailhouse ROck? Did they count in the time it was recorded or the importance of the song? Of did they just look at the song on it's own?

srj1967
08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Great list! (y)

But I've never understood why so many fans adore I Just Can't Help Believin'. The song is so boring, IMO ... even Elvis' version. I only ever listen to it extremely rarely.

Now, watch the sparks fly ... ! :lol:

But where was Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce ... ? :blink:

KPM
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Great list! (y)

But I've never understood why so many fans adore I Just Can't Help Believin'. The song is so boring, IMO ... even Elvis' version. I only ever listen to it extremely rarely.

Now, watch the sparks fly ... ! :lol:

But where was Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce ... ? :blink:
No sparks here, but I do like this song. I had never heard it until I saw him on the big screen sing it in TTWII in 1970. On the big screen with that great theater sound it was a magical song. I would call it a calm sensitive performance. Not to mention it is not an easy song to sing. I learned it on guitar in 70 and just never could get the vocal right.:)

STUD
08-17-2007, 06:47 PM
It's ridiculous that If I Can Dream isn't even on the list.

Looks like this list is just one person's preference. Not a bad list overall, and like Albert said, I like that they didn't just lean on the singles and hits.

Raised on Rock
08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
well, I must agree that with the fact that these are fine songs. I like the fact that they didn't lean too much to the singles and hits (like BMG).

I'd prefer a completely different list of songs (and different sortings).

Is Hound Dog really better than for example Jailhouse ROck? Did they count in the time it was recorded or the importance of the song? Of did they just look at the song on it's own?

Well the main thing here to me, and that?s what makes it something to look at, is that at least they dig a little bit deeper into the Elvis catalogue and not just numbered the greatest hits as usual, so just because of that I guess it worth the reading.

Of course this kind of stuff is subjetive and there can?t be such thing as the definitivie ultimate truth list about which ones are the 50 greatest ones. This is only someone point of view, I guess everybody would say that they will change the order, or took a few out and bring some others into the list.

I personaly think these 5 songs needed to be in that list:

Stranger In my Own Home Town
Only the Stong Survive
Feel So Bad
Promised Land
Big Hunk Of Love

JerryNodak
08-18-2007, 03:57 PM
It's not just you. I've never understood the attraction either. You're right. The sparks will fly. This is not the generally accepted view.

Lisarose
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Elvis Presley recorded more than 700 tracks in his lifetime. So, how to pick his best song ever? It's a daunting task for our critic. Have we got it right?

19. CRAWFISH The deepest, most atmospheric song about fishing you'll ever hear.

30. AN AMERICAN TRILOGYElvis probably never knew Micky Newbury's patriotic showstopper was ironic.

40. THE GIRL OF MY BEST FRIEND Compelling and heart-breakingly sharp teen romance.

48. LOVE ME Written by Leiber and Stoller as a self-parody; the reading is so sincere, you'd never know.

50. YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE No matter how many times you've heard this song before, the intensity and belief of Elvis's interpretation will floor you.

What a great list here. Obviously, no list ever presented will fit all our favorites, sometimes I feel it would be easier to find a list of songs we all don't like and we'd be agreed upon, but no because I know for a fact from previous postings that I love a song apparently everyone else hates!:D

When I first saw Crawfish on this list, I almost burst out laughing, but then in the back of my mind I could hear Kitty Wells fabulous blues singing out and Elvis joining her. [I]Crawfish is heads up better than Song of the Shrimp.
Girl of My Best Friend - was it the beginning of all the other 'I-want-her-but- she's-my-best's-friends-girl' song? So how does that compare to Jesse's Girl?
Love Me surprised its composers in that it was no longer a parody, but a serious love song. Although in later concerts Elvis treats it as a parody, IMO.
Interesting little note on American Trilogy - it was written as irony? I'll have to go look up the lyrics.
If this author felt this strongly about You'll Never Walk Aone, I'm surprised that he didn't include more Inspirational songs on this list. I didn't see my favorite "Lead Me, Guide Me" or "Peace in the Valley"

SeeSeeRider777
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree with the list. The comment on Burning Love was right on the money. If he wanted to he stil could have hit the dancefloor with some upbeat music in the 70's.

ehollier
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM

2. SUSPICIOUS MINDS

As a mature and supremely confident Elvis harmonises with himself, you can feel the shackles of Hollywood falling away. The shock of the middle eight ("let our love survive") will make you catch your breath.

9. ONE NIGHT

This snarling menace to American moral fibre had to be toned down from "one night of sin" to "one night with you," though the performance is so loaded with sexual promise they needn't have bothered.

11. CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE

Irresistibly tender. The world's favourite wedding song.

12. LITTLE SISTER

Nasty and playful rocker with a burning guitar line.

22. LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE

The tale of a poor southern singer gone too soon is delivered with unnerving emotion.

31. TRYING TO GET YOU

Both the Sun original and the bellowing ?68 comeback version are impossible to resist.

33. RECONSIDER BABY

The dirtiest, truest blues he ever recorded. Boots Randolph?s sax break is filthy.

34. TROUBLE

Ludicrous lyric with an insanely aggressive delivery over a drunken, Tom and Jerry-esque Dixieland backing.

48. LOVE ME

Written by Leiber and Stoller as a self-parody; the reading is so sincere, you'd never know.

I know that Elvis preferred gospel music, but no one could sing 'blue-eyed' soul quite like he could. Heck, this term may have been invented because of him!!! He could even groan on key!!!!!

A great list of songs. Too many others were left off, but with such a huge catalogue, how can you narrow it down to only 50!!!!!!!!!!

Pelvis
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I totally disagree with that list!

Itīs again just all of his well known songs,kinda always the same in these lists,WHy the hell isnt " Always on my mind"on the list!?

Most of Elvis best songs,are from the 70's and many are lesser known songs!

I'm gonna burn your list...buuuurrnnnnnn i tellz yah!

rocknroll
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Itīs again just all of his well known songs,kinda always the same in these lists,WHy the hell isnt " Always on my mind"on the list!?

I could have sworn I saw "Always On My Mind" on the list. Say around number 43 or so?

Lisarose
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Your song is #43, bubba! I don't think the number order has any significance. I'll probably get some flack for this, but IMO, 75% of Elvis music is "lesser known" to most people. Unless you're a fan, you've never heard of a few songs listed on this Time's Top 50.

Pelvis
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I could have sworn I saw "Always On My Mind" on the list. Say around number 43 or so?

Hey dude,are you stalking me aroudnd the forums or something? get a life ok

rocknroll
05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey dude,are you stalking me aroudnd the forums or something? get a life ok

Just pointing out all your mistakes. (y)

Pelvis
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Your song is #43, bubba! I don't think the number order has any significance. I'll probably get some flack for this, but IMO, 75% of Elvis music is "lesser known" to most people. Unless you're a fan, you've never heard of a few songs listed on this Time's Top 50.

Yeh i guess...but most people only know the 50's and 60's hits of elvis

His best songs for me are songs like "And i love you so", "Hurt","MAry In The Morning", "I'm Leaving" ,"We can make the morning"...those are really TOP songs,you know the 70's songs

presley31
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I really enjoy the 60's and some of the 50's, but my favorites are the 70's.

marijaep
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Elvis recorded so many songs that there always be songs that are left out.
I don't know according which criteria this list was made, but I would have definitely put out a few songs and added a few other. I'd add "If I Can Dream" instead of "Doing The Best I Can" for example.

Pelvis
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I really enjoy the 60's and some of the 50's, but my favorites are the 70's.

50's is a really good Elvis period,but i hardly ever listen to his 50's songs

60's has some really good ones and some really bad ones from the movies

70's Sweet period...some amazing songs by Elvis

:king:

Lisarose
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeh i guess...but most people only know the 50's and 60's hits of elvis

His best songs for me are songs like "And i love you so", "Hurt","MAry In The Morning", "I'm Leaving" ,"We can make the morning"...those are really TOP songs,you know the 70's songs

I like all decades, I love Mary in the Morning & I'm Leaving. I also am a huge fan of Early Morning Rain. There's just so many, many wonderful songs to choose from.

Pelvis
05-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I like all decades, I love Mary in the Morning & I'm Leaving. I also am a huge fan of Early Morning Rain. There's just so many, many wonderful songs to choose from.

yeh that is the great thing about ELvis,he sang so many songs,i still sometimes discover new songs of him.

I usually prefer the Alternate Takes and rehearsals

rhythmknights
05-20-2008, 03:26 AM
i love the rehearsals - just so much to learn about how he really thought about everything going on around him. I prefer the 70's myself, not so much the 60's because of all the movie 'music'. yeah, yea, i know not all of it was writtten for the movies, i love the R&B and the C&W - Just Pretend is my current favorite. :D