PDA

View Full Version : "VIVA LAS VEGAS" 2 cd set is FANTASTIC !!!

King_Creole
07-30-2007, 03:02 AM
I got my advance copy of this 2 cd set yesterday and I just wanted to let u all know that this fabulous set KIX MAJOR A$$ !!!

First off, let me say, yes, most of us already have the songs on Disc 1, but they have never sounded this good in remastered form before.

Vic Anesini absolutely outdid himself in the remastering department.

I checked all the trax presented on this disc thru my mixing console and did an A/B test to check all the peak levels to confirm if indeed these songs had been (correctly) remastered and were not possibly inferior as to what has been released before.

Not the case at all. The ending results were refreshing and impressive, to say the least. Finally, we are able to enjoy These equally great new unprocessed and dynamic Sony transfers !!!

Wait until you all hear the fresh, crisp and clear correctly remastered (Finally) 1972 February Vegas recordings ...

To all the naysayers and whiners, eat 'em and smile chaps !!!

... and don't choke while it's going down too ! LOL

Secondly, what can one say ?

DISC 2: A brand new previously unreleased Elvis Presley concert, meticulously remastered and remixed from the original elements, from 1969 in all it's beautiful glory ...

This release has been an honor and blessing to own. This is what it's all about people !!!

Elvis Presley, raw and rockin', perhaps for the last time in his stage career, has never sounded better or more driven.

Here are some more details about this splendid and essential release !!!

"Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Studios NYC.

Disc 2 Mixed by Ray Bardini at Electric lady studios, Assistant Engineer Dror Mohar.

DISC 2 Previously unreleased concert, recorded at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, August 21, 1969. This was the first concert recorded by RCA records' mobile unit during Elvis's triumphant return to Las Vegas and features the fantastic band that was later named the TCB (Taking Care Of Business) band by Elvis.

This set will be released in the U.S. as a single cd, (black cover version), and as a "Wal Mart" exclusive 2 cd set on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 .

Rock On ... :clap:

http://www.elvispresleyscrapbook.co.uk/vlv_artwork.jpg

Lonniebealestreet
07-30-2007, 05:16 AM
That's fantastic news, K_C. My wife just showed it to me in the Wal-Mart ad and so I got on here to get the 411--thx for providing it! My first thought when I saw the ad (I knew nothing about this CD) was that it was likely a fairly run of the mill release that I would have to pass on, but with such improved sound AND a complete unreleased concert, I will be all over this.

King_Creole
07-30-2007, 06:52 AM
That's fantastic news, K_C. My wife just showed it to me in the Wal-Mart ad and so I got on here to get the 411--thx for providing it! My first thought when I saw the ad (I knew nothing about this CD) was that it was likely a fairly run of the mill release that I would have to pass on, but with such improved sound AND a complete unreleased concert, I will be all over this.

You are so very welcome Lonniebealestreet and believe me, you wll love it, I promise you :!:

Mixing engineer Ray Bardini and mastering guru Vic Anesini have done wonders with this material. (y)

This is by far the best mix and mastering effort RCA has afforded the 1969 Vegas engagement. All other concerts pale in comparison.

Do the research and work yourself and compare the bass and drums on this release to the Ferrante/Reidel mainstream BMG/FTD efforts and you will notice the latter sound like tinny cardboard.

King_Creole
07-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyone on this board buying this cd today ???

I highly recommend it !!!

mn-designs
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I bought this CD last saturday, and i also was impressed with the sound quality, specially disc 1. Disc 2 also has a very good sound, and finally the drums are placed in the middle (where it belongs) maybe the backing is a little to low in the mix, the only problem i have with cd 1, they used/mastered the same way as the original mixes, wich is a shame cause it sounds not natural with the drums on the left channel, the back-up vocals, orchestra on the right and Elvis on both channels (very loud).
I prefer it this way:

Left channel: bass guitar, piano
Right channel: lead & rhythm guitar, backing vocals
L/R channel: Elvis' vocals, drums & orchestra

If it was mixed this way you have it the way it was on stage....and when you play this disc on a surround-set (with the dolby prologic mode on) you will hear:

Left channel: bass guitar, piano
Right channel: lead & rhythm guitar,
Center channel: Elvis' vocals, drums
Surround channels: orchestra & audience, backing vocals

Yes, i'm a sound freak, and allready played around with the sound myself, to create this mix myself, and it turned out pretty nice.
The package for this cd is done very nice, although there are some better quality shots of the international hotel, but finally they done something different for a mainstream release!
But on some boards there is a discussion going on about the -so called- unreleased '69 concert, some people are saying that the concert is created from 2 concerts, the Midnight & Dinner show, and some talking Elvis did sounds the same as on the collectors gold box-set from some years ago...but that's a other subject...
All in all a very good release by sony/bmg!

jak
07-31-2007, 01:12 PM

I think in the states we only got the single disc release?I need the 2 disc version.I think Im correct in saying this.Will have to order the import online.
Jak

PaulV.
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Jak,The two cd version is available (exclusively) at Wal-Mart in USA.

goodelvisgirl
07-31-2007, 01:29 PM
i saw it in hmv yesterday i wasn't sure to buy it or not cos it looked like the same songs to me i just read what you all say and its getting a thumbs up from you lot so i might buy it

jak
07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Jak,The two cd version is available (exclusively) at Wal-Mart in USA.

Thanks for that info.Greatly appreciated.

King_Creole
07-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Just got back from Wal Mart and they had the new set proudly displayed up front and center.

I bought another copy for a friend who said he really likes Elvis' Vegas material and just can't get enuff of Polk Salad Annie and See See Rider, so what a better way to start ??? LOL

Oh, and another thing, A couple of months ago when I said this release was ibeing released n conjunction with the upcoming ABC television special, someone on this, (and other), Elvis message boards ridiculed me and commented that I had no idea what I was talking about and "where's the proof " childish banter ...

Kinda funny, (actually hilarious), how this cd is gloriously advertised with the special announcement "Music from and inspired by the new ABC television Special-VIVA LAS VEGAS" !!! :)

elvis himselvis
07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
The songs are OK,but it's nothing new.I won't buy it...i will spend my money on other releases.

Lonniebealestreet
07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
That's news to me too. Please tell us more about this special, if you have anything further on that at this time.

srj1967
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
The songs are OK,but it's nothing new.

The concert is previously unreleased ...

4THEHEART
07-31-2007, 07:23 PM
as always my only chance is to buy it online..:angry:

King_Creole
07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
The songs are OK

Your kidding I hope ... :blush:

but it's nothing new. Well, exactly what were you expecting ?

Last I heard, Elvis passed away almost 30 summers ago this coming August ...

And besides, Like I previously stated at the begininng of this thread, the Fantastic 1969 concert is "previously unreleased" !!!

I won't buy it...

That's totally your loss ...

i will spend my money on other releases.

Good Luck.

EP75
08-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Well, believe it or not, I bought the Viva Las Vegas 2 CD set tonight at Wal-Mart. To my surprise it was up front with That's The Way It Is Special Edition and next to Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Rhianna cds. That was a delight to see such a release mixed in there like that with modern day living superstars. Anyhow this is my review of the set.

Disc 1-It does sound clearer, more punchier than the previous releases with the same tracks duplicated on other releases. But they could have remixed/remastered those tracks too since they were making it a promoted mainstream release. I guess they were too cheap to go the extra mile on that. Viva Las Vegas does not belong on this set. It is irrelevant for this release and does not fit.

Disc 2-I was impressed with the sound of it the most. Probably the best sound quality and mix of any 1969 concert to date. However EP's cutting up too much ruined it in the beginning for me. He seemed to take it more serious midway through after the longggg 9 minute dialogue. . Memories, Heartbreak Hotel, Love Me Tender were some of the weakest performances in my opinion. The highlights to me were Hound Dog (one of the very best rocking performances yet to be released of this song and longer than usual), Mystery Train/Tiger Man, Runaway, Baby What You Want me To Do (very soulful and bluesy), Hey Jude (Cissy Houston and The Sweets sound amazing!), In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds (maybe the longest version ever), and What'd I Say. One of my all time favorite live jams.

The sound is fantastic as King Creole pointed out. I can't believe I just agreed with him. The world must be coming to an end or hell freezing over. Whichever comes first. Anyhow The Sweets sounds amazing and are on one channel and crystal clear like you have never heard them before. James' guitar picking is classic on this disc and so clear and punchy. Very loose and not lost as in some cases on RCA releases in the past. My only argument would be at times Ronnie's drums sound mixed down and low on Yesterday and a few other songs. But On Suspicious Minds and What'd I Say they are up front and clear. I do like that the cd starts off without the usual 1969 Vegas music and goes straight into the Opening rhythm music. It sounds less Vegas that way.

Overall sound-I give it an A+++ for mixing(y)

Overall performance by EP-I give it a B- (I've heard better shows and from 1969)

Overall band performance-A+ (they were on, it's a shame that EP wasn't as much as they were)

The booklet did disappoint me as the photos selected weren't the best and soem were of EP from April on tour and not even related to Vegas.(n) If it weren't for ther second disc, then I would call this as I originally saw it, a quick cash in to make another buck off of EP.(n) But the second disc saved it and their butts on this.(y)

If you are looking for an unreleased live performance, then get this if for nothing else. I think the second disc is worth the money.(y) Disc one isn't a bad set list but performance wise they left off some classic performances and selected the usual Ernst favorites that aren't gonna bring in newer fans.(n)

Geoff the Chef
08-01-2007, 04:24 AM
(y)Yes I expect to recieve this 2 CD set by the weekend. from what most fans are now saying this is an unreleased whole concert from August 21st 1969 Dinner Show but 'words' maybe wasn't performed and also previously released tracks from this date may have been incorrectly dated as the Midnight Show- either way to hear ANY 1969 show properly mixed will be 'fantastic!' also nice to hear that disc 1 was properly mixed too! might well be the best value CD's to come out this August around the Anniversary???:cool:

poormansgold76
08-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I buy my CD this morning At Wal-mart. and It was up front with new releases, it's was for 19.98, but the single was 13.98. so I buy the double one, The Sound is great on 2 cd, they didn't over mixed it this time, I hadn't play first yet, because, I been sick.
Tom

jak
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I just got it today and listned to it.FANTASTIC!! I dont buy many of the releases on the main label but this one is a real winner.Fans should suport these quality products.
Jak

EP75
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Sound wise-it's worth getting for that reason only. As for it's reason for release-it's a lost opportunity for a big milestone anniversary release.(n)

ChrisdeB
08-01-2007, 11:37 PM
What ewleases do the tracks on disc 1 come from?

poormansgold76
08-02-2007, 01:30 AM
they are mix From 2/70, 8/70 and 2/72, i see that few songs From FTD Releases, By The Notes, One say 8/13/70 You've lost that loving feeling it's from 12th show, i think

King_Creole
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Sound wise-it's worth getting for that reason only. As for it's reason for release-it's a lost opportunity for a big milestone anniversary release.(n)

You sure do contradict yourself alot, donchu ???

Anyway, how is this release a "Lost Oppurtunity", if it's purpose for release is being tied to the upcoming ABC TV special ??? :doh:

EP75
08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
You sure do contradict yourself alot, donchu ???

Anyway, how is this release a "Lost Oppurtunity", if it's purpose for release is being tied to the upcoming ABC TV special ??? :doh:

No I don't. I said I agreed with you on this having great sound, at least on dsic 2. You SHOULD be thrilled. LOL Anyhow, it's a lost opportunity as a release, PERIOD because they could have released a remix or reworked album and made much more and it would have brought interest back to EP's music. this disc won't do any of that. It's just another cd that will draw dust on the shelves of stores until they are returned to RCA headquarters in NY. It won't even break the Top 20, I betcha. Probably not even the Top 50.(n)

ChrisdeB
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
they are mix From 2/70, 8/70 and 2/72, i see that few songs From FTD Releases, By The Notes, One say 8/13/70 You've lost that loving feeling it's from 12th show, i think

What releases are these on?

poormansgold76
08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I just Can't Help Beleving From 8/12/70 not 8/13/70, the 13th version running 3;16, this one running 4:20, It's fromTTWII LP The 2/70 from on Stage LP and 2/72 from valouis LP's, Error's on the liners on this one, only one cd notes

King_Creole
08-06-2007, 05:38 AM
No I don't. I said I agreed with you on this having great sound, at least on dsic 2. You SHOULD be thrilled. LOL Anyhow, it's a lost opportunity as a release, PERIOD because they could have released a remix or reworked album and made much more and it would have brought interest back to EP's music. this disc won't do any of that. It's just another cd that will draw dust on the shelves of stores until they are returned to RCA headquarters in NY. It won't even break the Top 20, I betcha. Probably not even the Top 50.(n)

Your above comment just proves how ignorant you really are and how your true colours shine bright regarding the legacy and artistry of Elvis.

All you really care for is the dumb expansions in and around Graceland for amusement parks, kiddie rides and slides ... (n)

These stupid remixes you redundantly keep moaning about are just plastic gimmicks that will be exploited and forgotten about just as quick as they would make 'em.

"A Little Less Conversation" was a winner worldwide because it hadn't been done before in a predominantly youthful market and had an incredible amount of push and appeal due to the European Soccer World Cup of 2002.

The single still never really broke out in America where it only reached #50 on the Hot 100 !!!

Look at what happened to the follow up Rubberneckin' single ...

Never got higher than #90 !!!

Puh-Leeze, get over it already.

The magic of original Elvis Presley music will live on forever and that is what new fans will always find, come back to and enjoy for eternity ...

tilly01
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
there is no need to get personal with each other(n)(n)(n)

King_Creole
08-07-2007, 05:43 AM

It's not personal, just calling it like I see it ... :P

EP75
08-07-2007, 06:18 AM
It's not personal, just calling it like I see it ... :P

You will never change.

srj1967
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
The concert may very well be from August 21st, but is it the dinner or midnight show? The tracklisting doesn't match either show!

And it isn't a complete show; Listen carefully, you can hear a few times where the tape is obviously edited (if you play it loud), which means at least a second or two is missing here and there.

The monologue should've been scrapped altogether. Way, waaaay too long. As a raconteur, Elvis made a great singer ...

And as someone pointed out, the 1972 pic in the booklet is a tour shot from April, 1972, not Vegas. Things like this piss me off ...

And another thing: why the hell did RCA wait three weeks to record these shows? Why didn't they record July 31st, the actual comeback, or at least some of the first few shows in August? Such history lost ... :angry:

That, plus the '68 Comeback shows recorded in mono only, are the greatest travesties of his recording career.

poormansgold76
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
We can't have it our way, mmm, so what it was edit, long as it from same show .

goodelvisgirl
08-07-2007, 03:02 PM
well i saw the cd and my first thought was same old songs it dosent matter which concert they are from but on hearing you all say its fab i might go and buy it

Lonniebealestreet
08-07-2007, 11:01 PM

Amen, Tilly. Let's "keep it Elvis", friends.

:king: