PDA

View Full Version : book Live In LA (Book + CD)

Albert
07-16-2007, 07:41 PM
http://shop.elvis.com.au/images/book_live_in_la.jpg

LIVE IN LA - Another picture book from the FTD label. The book has over 200 pictures featuring Elvis during the various shows he performed in Los Angeles. Also included is a soundboard recording of Elvis' legendary evening performance at the Inglewood Forum on May 11, 1974.

*** DELETED TITLE ***

http://www.tcb-world.com/files/listen.gif Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Steamroller Blues
Hound Dog
Fever
Polk Salad Annie
Why Me Lord
Suspicious Minds
Introductions
I Can't Stop Loving You
Help Me
American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
Funny How Time Slips Away
Big Boss Man
Can't Help Falling In Love
You Can Have Her
Tracks 21 & 22 - recorded live in San Bernadino, CA. on May 10, 1974
Track 23 - recorded live in Los Angeles, CA. on May 11, 1974 at the afternoon show

Reviews:
none, please submit

easyrider
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Great show(y)(y)

my boy
03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Elvis Presley live at the LA FORUM 1974 is the stuff of legend -- rock
supergroup Led Zeppelin were in attendance and Elvis was firing on all cylinders. Robert Plant was asked who was the best artist he’d ever seen live he said,”Elvis in around 1973-1974, he was fantastic!”-- the LA FORUM show was obviously the show he alluded to -- Elvis added karate moves and dramatic pauses, all intensifying the Elvis presley experience.

The Follow That Dream (FTD) collectors label release, LIVE IN LA BOOK/CD combination features over 200 pics of Presley in LA mostly from his MAY 11, 1974, performance. The book is a classy affair although some of the pics are blurred, but for Elvis fans it’s a treasure trove of the King in action on stage, besides great views of Mr Burton’s pink paisley fender telecaster guitar, and the TCB band in all their glory.

Maybe some added text about set lists and the famous meeting of the two music giants would have enhanced the book,but that doesn’t detract from what is a quality presentation. There’s a short introduction but the stars of the show are the gorgeous Elvis pics from the LA FORUM (Sheriff Hanna collection).

The soundboard features the aforementioned show in slightly muddy sound which only gives the listener a small taste of what must have been an electrifying night at the LA FORUM in 1974, but adjust your treble settings and your in for a great ride -- “See See Rider” opens up followed by the bluesy intro to “I Got a Women” the King, amid tuning guitars introduces himself as Glen Campbell and Wayne Newton then it’s time to TCB.

“Love Me” gets a reprise--more standouts include, 1950s classic “Trying to Get To You,” a volcanic “Steamroller blues,” great wah-wah guitar work by James Burton on “Hound Dog” and a bluesy, swampy, feedback featured version of “Polk Salad Annie.” Brilliant!

Rock legends Led Zeppelin get a name check before a good version of “Funny How Time Slips Away.” Presley’s pool of 1950s rockers get sprinted through, plus Olivia Newton John’s “Let Me Be There,” and the gospel flavour of, “Why Me Lord” -- all add to a standard 1974 set list -- and a thrilling live concert.

“Big Boss Man” and CHFIL (San Bernardino May 10 Swing Auditorium) are added to the end of the show and it’s evident the sound has improved -- the bonus song tagged at the conclusion is, “You Can Have Her” from the May 13 show, and it’s only in audience recorded quality but a great addition and very rare.

In 1974 Elvis showed the mighty Zeppelin how to rock and Presley was an obvious influence on the band, and they’ve probably never came down to earth since -- the LIVE IN LA BOOK/CD is an irresistible combination which ranks very high in the FTD catalogue.

Jungleroom76
07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Just finished listening to this show (FINALLY!) and I have to say that while it is definitely a decent show, there are different parts of the show where he seems rather un-interested or even bored at times... :hmm: (although I do have to say it was cool to hear Elvis talking to J.D. about the L.A. auditorium being a long way away from the auditorium in Memphis....and the slower version of BIG BOSS MAN is quite a treat as well!)

I also have to give the sound quality of the show a thumbs-down! (n) It's hard to explain, but the show sounded very muffled to me....certainly not as crisp and clean as other live recordings that FTD has released. :'( (Although the sound quality improves signifcantly with the 2 tracks included from the San Bernadino show...too bad this show wasn't included as the CD instead of the L.A. show)

Maybe the muffled sound quality is what gives me the impression of Elvis not being interested in the show... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

my boy
07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Turn your treble right-up! And don't forget the show may be running a little slow.(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
07-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Turn your treble right-up! And don't forget the show may be running a little slow.(y)(y)

I thought so.... :hmm:

Thanks for the tips my boy!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

hounddog
07-25-2009, 11:29 AM
One of my favourite cds, love the book.

my boy
07-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Definitely one of the very best FTDs "Steamroller Blues" is awesome!(y)

Jungleroom76
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
That is a GREAT picture my boy!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting that for us!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

my boy
07-26-2009, 09:21 PM
No problem Jungleroom76.

Cheers,

My boy

Mr.TCB
08-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Great CD, and a great book. There is a cool version of Big Boss Man also.

my boy
03-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Live In LA
01. Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss)
02. See See Rider (Traditional; Arr. By Elvis Presley)
03. I Got A Woman / Amen (Ray Charles) / (J. Hairston)
04. Love Me (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
05. Trying To Get To You (Rose Marie Mccoy/Charles Singleton)
06. All Shook Up (Otis Blackwell/Elvis Presley)
07. Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (Kal Mann/bernie Lowe) / (Otis Blackwell/Elvis Presley)
08. Love Me Tender (Vera Matson/Elvis Presley)
09. Steamroller Blues (James Taylor)
10. Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
11. Fever (Davenport/Cooley)
12. Polk Salad Annie (Tony Joe White)
13. Why Me Lord (Kris Kristofferson)
14. Suspicious Minds (Mark James)
15. Introductions
16. I Can't Stop Loving You (Don Gibson)
17. Help Me (Larry Gatlin)
18. An American Trilogy (Mickey Newbury)
19. Let Me Be There (John Rostill)
20. Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson)
21. Big Boss Man (Smith/dixon)
22. Can't Help Falling In Love (Peretti/Creatore/Weiss)
Bonus Song:
23. You Can Have Her (William Cook)

New FTD CD release version of LIVE IN L.A. without book.