PDA

View Full Version : CBS Outtakes

toffe
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi all

I am just wondering, is there a dvd with CBS Outtakes, what is on it ? Elvis backstage with the girl etc. ?

toffe

MickyG63
07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Yes there is. They regularly turn up on Ebay - usually containing the Rapid City & Omaha concerts, and then the CBS TV version which is edited together from both concerts but leaves out several songs. The picture quality of the two concerts is not great, with the final edited version usually being of better quality. The meeting with the little native American girl is also included, though this can vary from copy to copy. This is my copy, which contains all of the aformentioned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/kingofwesternbop/img039.jpg

toffe
07-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, i have this dvd! (y)

Gary1
07-14-2007, 01:08 AM
The one to go for is Elvis In Concert:Love coming down made by star.

TCBnAflash
07-14-2007, 01:35 AM
This DVD rocks!!!!! No matter what people say, Elvis was an awesome person till the very end.

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 04:58 AM
The one to go for is Elvis In Concert:Love coming down made by star.

Ditto...it's probably the most complete version of "Elvis In Concert" on DVD that we'll ever see.

EP75
07-14-2007, 05:32 AM
EP should have never even been on tour in June 1977. In my opinion it was his killer tour schedule that did him in. Not the drugs. They added but the colonel not letting him stop did it.

alstrada
07-14-2007, 05:39 AM
http://dessaintes.webbuilder02.hostbasket.com/images/Scan10057(2).JPG

www.rareelvispresley.com

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
EP should have never even been on tour in June 1977. In my opinion it was his killer tour schedule that did him in. Not the drugs. They added but the colonel not letting him stop did it.

I completely disagree with this theory...I'm sure that Elvis's hectic touring schedule may have had something to do with it but the drugs were the main cause of his death....

EP75
07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
But why did he depend so strongly on the drugs in the first place? Because of his hectic tour schedule which led to his poor lifestyle that led to his sudden death. That was my point of the touring wearing him down as it did.

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 07:37 PM
But why did he depend so strongly on the drugs in the first place? Because of his hectic tour schedule which led to his poor lifestyle that led to his sudden death. That was my point of the touring wearing him down as it did.

Honestly, I believe that his dependence on the drugs was totally psychological....I know he was a sick man but he didn't need all that other stuff he was taking....some of the stuff he took (like Dilaudid, for example) is usually only given to terminal cancer patients...and frankly, I don't believe that Elvis ever had cancer...that was a rumor started by Vernon Presley himself to see if it would leak out to the press...and it did and the stories have hung around for years as a fact that he had cancer...when, in reality, he didn't.

toffe
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
:supriced::supriced:

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 08:34 PM
:supriced::supriced:

Surprised, are we?

toffe
07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Only that comment Vernon said with cancer...i have`t heard that before ;)

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Elvis never had cancer....it was, in fact, a rumor that Vernon started when he asked Billy Smith to let it leak that Elvis had cancer and to see if it would get out to the public...which it did, unfortunately...and the lie of that statement has been circulating ever since.

EP75
07-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Kathy has claimed several times dating back to the early 80's to the present that EP himself told her one night that he had bone cancer shortly before he died. Maybe there was some truth to what Vernon was saying and he did it to see who was loyal and who would snitch and report to the media. There's no actual proof whatsoever that he did NOT have some type of sclerosis to the bone. There had to be a reason for Dr. Nick to prescribe him with a drug given to cancer patients.

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Kathy has claimed several times dating back to the early 80's to the present that EP himself told her one night that he had bone cancer shortly before he died.

I think that Kathy has stated that Elvis told her as early as 1970 that he had cancer...if that was the case (especially if he had bone cancer) he would have died much sooner than August 16, 1977 because medical technology hadn't advanced enough at that point to have cured him and he certainly wouldn't have "blown up" like he did in the last four years because you just basically waste away to nothing with bone cancer...it's a painful thing to watch a loved one die from this disease....my grandfather had it and it tore my heart in two to see him waste away to nothing over the four years he fought the disease.

There had to be a reason for Dr. Nick to prescribe him with a drug given to cancer patients.

There's a simple answer for this: the drugs he had been taking up to that point wasn't giving him the desired effect he was looking for and he wanted something stronger...it's been documented that Elvis would even injure himself on purpose to get the drugs he wanted.....

Here's something I ran across....

In this article, Alpha-1-related panniculitis is offered as a possible explanation for the persistent Elvis Presley bone cancer theory. Alpha-1 could also help to explain Elvis' health problems and early death. His mother Gladys and various members of her side of the family died in their 40s, probably from the same condition.

The circumstances of Elvis' death were surrounded by massive cover-ups, as we are all too well aware, making it difficult to know what to believe. The medical examiner Dr Jerry Francisco was particularly obstructive. One of the rumours that is still alive and well is that Elvis was suffering from terminal bone cancer. The bone cancer story can be found in publications by Larry Geller, Dick Grob, Charlie Hodge and Kathy Westmoreland as well as in other sources. There are reasons for looking into this further rather than dismissing it out of hand.

Thompson and Cole, whose original investigation and ABC program "The Elvis Cover-Up" in 1979 landed Elvis' physician Dr George Nichopolous in trouble for over-medication, spent ten years or more investigating the circumstances of Elvis' death and what really killed him. Their findings are published in The death of Elvis: what really happened (Robert Hale, London, 1991). Their conclusion was multiple drug intake (polypharmacy) combined with an allergic reaction to codeine. They surmised that Elvis must have mistaken codeine for Dilaudid, as the Dilaudid which had been prescribed for him was not found in the autopsy, but large amounts of codeine were found.

The autopsy report found that Elvis' heart, spleen, kidneys and liver were enlarged, but that this was not a serious condition. His liver had suffered damage through "severe drug abuse", but that was not the immediate cause of death either. There were signs of high blood pressure and a blood condition called "antitrypsin". The autopsy also found his colon to be heavily impacted with a clay-like fecal matter. Bone marrow samples were tested at the Baptist Hospital, but no bone cancer was found. Thompson and Cole assumed that the people claiming bone cancer were lying to distract attention from the toxicology report.

What the autopsy report appears to have missed is needle marks on the buttocks. Did it miss, suppress or misreport anything else? What was the condition of the skin?

Elvis was being treated for various conditions, including glaucoma, high blood pressure, weight control, oedema, constipation, insomnia and chronic pain. He was being given medication to put him to sleep and to wake him up. It isn't surprising that a variety of prescription drugs were found in his system, although the quantities seem to have been excessive.

Dilaudid is a drug normally reserved for terminally ill cancer patients in unbearable pain. Dr Nichopolous was asked in 1979 why he would prescribe this drug for somebody with a minor toothache. But Elvis did suffer pain. According to Charlie Hodge, Elvis complained "There's pain all over my body. I can feel it alot in my hands and up in my shoulder tonight" (Hodge, p. 186-7). Larry Geller also reports that in the last year of Elvis' life, he was sometimes doubled over in pain - "Why am I constantly in pain? It's just wiping me out" (Geller, p. 245). '"Your intestines are inflamed", [nutritionist Wilma Minor] announced' (Geller, p. 234). '[Elvis] took Demerol and Percodan for the gnawing pain in his stomach ...' (Geller, p. 232).

Without having seen the autopsy report, Dr Nichopolous told Elvis' father, Vernon, that Elvis had bone cancer. Whether the doctor believed it or not we don't know, but we will assume that he did. Elvis obviously had a painful condition which could possibly justify the use of such a strong pain killer.

EP75
07-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I think that Kathy has stated that Elvis told her as early as 1970 that he had cancer...if that was the case (especially if he had bone cancer) he would have died [I]much sooner than August 16, 1977

I am almost certain that she said that he told her a month or two before he passed. And if I am not mistaken but didn't she meet him in 1971?

EP75
07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
it's been documented that Elvis would even injure himself on purpose to get the drugs he wanted.....

Anything the Mafia says should be taken with a huge grain of salt. They have changed their stories more times than Bush has gone to war with Iraq.

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 11:51 PM
I am almost certain that she said that he told her a month or two before he passed. And if I am not mistaken but didn't she meet him in 1971?

No, Kathy began working for Elvis on August 16, 1970....exactly seven years to the day before he died.

Tony Trout
07-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Anything the Mafia says should be taken with a huge grain of salt. They have changed their stories more times than Bush has gone to war with Iraq.

Actually, they've all stayed pretty consistent with the "self-harming himself to get more drugs" statement.

Gary1
07-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Tony don't take this the wrong way;) The only problem i have is this. Elvis' Autopsy report is supposed to be locked away and not to be published for 50 years so there is still another 20 to go.I've seen reports of how Elvis is supposed to have died.I'm not saying they're not true but if the officicial report hasn't been published where is this information coming from? to me this is all hearsay.

Tony Trout
07-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Tony don't take this the wrong way;) The only problem i have is this. Elvis' Autopsy report is supposed to be locked away and not to be published for 50 years so there is still another 20 to go.I've seen reports of how Elvis is supposed to have died.I'm not saying they're not true but if the officicial report hasn't been published where is this information coming from? to me this is all hearsay.

No offense taken. It's all so confusing to me, too. I guess we'll just have to wait until 2027 to see what the report says.....although something tells me that we may never know the exact cause of Elvis's death.

EP75
07-15-2007, 02:41 AM
No, Kathy began working for Elvis on August 16, 1970....exactly seven years to the day before he died.

If that's the case then she would have been working with him during the August Summer Festival that was filmed for That's The Way It Is. But she wasn't in it or with the show at that time. Maybe she joined after the engagement when he went on tour in September. But this is away from the topic to begin with. I just know that she claims that he told her that and wanted to add that. That's all.

EP75
07-15-2007, 02:51 AM
Actually, they've all stayed pretty consistent with the "self-harming himself to get more drugs" statement.

Them talking about it publicly as they have over and over (truth or not) just goes to show how they werent loyal to him and stabbed him in the back. This is why I agree with what Lisa says about them.

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Back to the question..... If you get a program called WinMX on the net, it's free. You can download it for free. When you get the program up and running just type in "Elvis Rapid City" or "Elvis Omaha " and you'll get them, outtakes and all. But the sound, sucks. Cool anyway though. Then you can see how peacemeal the televised one is and the great stuff they left out and should've included.

King_Creole
07-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Very true Tony, good post !!!

Reality bites hard for some people who can't handle the "truth" ... :notworthy

alstrada
07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
The autopsy repport will be open to the public domain in 2027. That's what the Court of Tennessee have said.

For wich reason 50 years after ??

King_Creole
07-16-2007, 12:01 AM
The Memphis mafia weren't the only ones to claim that Elvis used to hurt himself in order to get more drugs ...

Some people should actually educate themselves and learn the facts before making false erroneous assumptions!

jak
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Of all the things to be revealed about Elvis' personal life I find that facet of his life most disturbing.It's a shame that somebody as special as he was sank to that level.
Jak

Albert
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM

I agree with that.... but didn't Elvis want to perform more to pay for his ever growing personal expenses?

The dvd is great by the way. The quality of the CBS Special part is really good, and from the outtakes (the more or less complete recordings) are reasonably good. But better than most of the material currently circulating.

When I first heard the CBS Special I thought that Elvis was still really good in 1977 and that an Elvisshow rocked. Then I saw the special and was unpleasantly suprised: Elvis looke really out of shape, sick and overweighed.

Then I saw the outtakes and I was shocked: the full concert, unedited wasn't that great. The inbetween talking was weird and looked more like mumbling and his movement (formely known as the karatekicks) during fast songs was like a parody.

I still admire him, but compared to other 42-year old artists with evenly as many performances a year, the shows Elvis did after 1975 weren't solid anymore. Too short, too much of the same songs and the introductions of his band were becoming way too long.

Taking time off wouldn't solve the problems: just look at how many time-off Elvis had in 1975 to 1977: sometimes months in a row. And after the break, Elvis returned heavier and without having done a rehearsal with the band for any new songs.

And unfortunately this dvd proofs me horribly right.... :'(

Tony Trout
07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with that.... but didn't Elvis want to perform more to pay for his ever growing personal expenses?

The reason that Elvis was onstage at all in 1977 when he should have had himself in the hospital was purely financial reasons...he had to tour to keep the money coming in...he was almost broke by the time he died on August 16, 1977.

I find the CBS outtakes very painful to watch, especially the ones from Omaha...he's struggling so bad for his words and the introductions of the band are heartbreaking to watch.....and ithe way the whole special wound up being edited just ticks me off because of the camera angles used during some songs where it looks like the audience is laughing at him when he does his karate moves (for example, "You Gave Me A Mountain").

The only reason the special was even filmed was because CBS waved $750,000.00 worth of that green stuff we call money in under Colonel Parker's nose and he went for it like a dog after a bone.

The CBS special should have never happened...he should have taken time off after that June tour and gotten himself in shape but....alas.....it wasn't to be.

Albert
07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
The reason that Elvis was onstage at all in 1977 when he should have had himself in the hospital was purely financial reasons...he had to tour to keep the money coming in...he was almost broke by the time he died on August 16, 1977.

I find the CBS outtakes very painful to watch, especially the ones from Omaha...he's struggling so bad for his words and the introductions of the band are heartbreaking to watch.....and ithe way the whole special wound up being edited just ticks me off because of the camera angles used during some songs where it looks like the audience is laughing at him when he does his karate moves (for example, "You Gave Me A Mountain").

You noticed that to? I also that that there were shots where it looks for sure that people laughed at him.

Accepting the CBS Special as a good show would be wrong. Sure there are some great highlights and Elvis still had that undefinable magic, but watching the unedited version makes it even more clear that Elvis would pass away two months later.

EnigmaticSun
07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
You have to take late-period Elvis for what he was and what he still could do. Never mind the mumbling and his physical shape, he could still sing and had a loveable personality.

I don't think the tour in June was the only problem - the entire schedule for 1976 was exhausting too.

What I like about Elvis is that he had this magic (as a musician) some race drivers had; watching and hearing him do his favorite songs in the 70's had this mortality to it, the same way Gilles Villeneuve and Ayrton Senna were mortal, but magic drivers. Dancing with death is what makes Elvis extra interesting. I don't blame him for living the way he did, I'm sure he had his reasons and that he was a very lonely person.

I suppose some popes have this mortality. John Paul II was almost drained physically, but this conviction until death made the people respect him some more in the end.

Tony Trout
07-16-2007, 10:44 PM
You noticed that to? I also that that there were shots where it looks for sure that people laughed at him.

Yes, that was actually one of the very first things that caught my eye when watching the special....it's so "in your face" and it's not easy to miss...the editors could have done a heck of a lot better job of editing the show than they did....they basically made Elvis look like a laughingstock to the world...of course, Elvis wasn't much help with all the stuff he was taking during that time...he's so "out of it" for the Omaha show that it becomes embarrassing to watch it at certain points...thank God he did a little better in Rapid City, SD two days later and he seemed to be more "at" himself....but you could still see the wheels were starting to come apart and they would finally fall off less than two months later......

Accepting the CBS Special as a good show would be wrong. Sure there are some great highlights and Elvis still had that undefinable magic, but watching the unedited version makes it even more clear that Elvis would pass away two months later.

I honestly don't think that anybody (much less Elvis himself) could have forseen the tragic events that were to take place less than six weeks later....and leave a void in the music world that no one has been able to fill....

nashville cat
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Promoters were betting on how long it would be before Elvis was gone, so evidently there was some feelings within the music business world that something was seriously wrong.

I have to agree with Albert's statements almost whole-heartedly. I might also pose a question, before we throw all the blame on Colonel Parker for putting Elvis in a bad position. Is it possible Parker saw the special as something to motivate and challenge Elvis? This had worked in the past, and it had been awhile since Elvis had appeared on television. Obviously, Elvis was in much different shape than he was in 1973, but maybe this was partially a misguided attempt at motivating Elvis to get clean and in better shape.

Burning_Love
07-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Back to the question..... If you get a program called WinMX on the net, it's free. You can download it for free. When you get the program up and running just type in "Elvis Rapid City" or "Elvis Omaha " and you'll get them, outtakes and all. But the sound, sucks. Cool anyway though. Then you can see how peacemeal the televised one is and the great stuff they left out and should've included.

<<Just quickly off toopic>> I Had this programme and my computer got taken over with so much viruses from it, it cost about ?200 to get fixed ! Just warning you..be careful (y)

I would love to see these outtakes, Elvis had such a way with people at his concerts..amazing (y)

EnigmaticSun
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Is there anyone who agrees with me on the mortality aspect? I'm aware most probably don't know great race drivers (comparing mortality and magic to music), but some songs from the 70's are magic because I can hear death in them. I hear it in 'The Last Farewell', 'Danny Boy' and of course with some of his songs on stage.

Elvis is the more charming because he didn't look perfect in everything - he didn't have a way of telling the world he was the most moral person ever, like a Pharisee - it's like being married to Elvis' music - not only the good times, but also sickness, worry, sadness and death come shining through and it takes a good musician to do that, doesn't it?