PDA

View Full Version : The Kings Castle ....by an Elvis fan????

ajr
06-17-2007, 05:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19251780/site/newsweek/

06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
It looks like a re-jigged older article as there are no tour guides in Graceland now.

As for the comments regarding Elvis's weight - probabaly some tour guide said it to make themselves look like they know Priscilla and are privy to certain information.

If as the guide claims Cilla had trouble thinking Elvis was thin enough to fit into his tuxedo maybe the guid should look at his early jumpsuits before deciding to attribute statements to people.

Personally I don't believe the tour guide said it, and if the tour guide did, then the tour guide wasnt quoting from priscilla as I doubt she would say that to a tour guide.

Apart from the article, one disparaging in the state of disrepair that Elvis's airplanes are falling into. The paint is chipped and pealing off the Lisa Maire and Convair.

Graceland need to invest in putting these into an enclosed space and repaint them to preserve there elegance.

Im certain Elvis would not be pleased to see such tatty and rotting exteriors.

The planes need maintenance.

Last August they were bad, has anyone seen them recently? Has EPE made any effort with them?

ajr
06-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I got that off another site & went to see about it on News Week.
You're absolutely right......no tour guides. As in so many stories; they just use the prior info it seems.

I was in Memphis 2 years ago. Yes, the planes & Graceland are a mess.
Too sad they're not kept repaired. :'( I don't understand that.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I hardly think that a tour guide would just offer such quips to a hack??

What did make me think was this quote "There are few signs of Presley's career long manager, Col. Tom Parker, who both nurtured and vandalized him." I can't remember seeing a comment that summed up their relationship so well!

ajr
06-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I hardly think that a tour guide would just offer such quips to a hack??

What did make me think was this quote "There are few signs of Presley's career long manager, Col. Tom Parker, who both nurtured and vandalized him." I can't remember seeing a comment that summed up their relationship so well!

I see your opinion about Parker is like most. ;)
Except for reading the book Alana Nash wrote......I paid little attention to Parker ......or Cilla or Lisa or the MM etc. etc. :D
Elvis has always been & will always be my main interest, I guess.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I see your opinion about Parker is like most. ;)

How so? Most people do not like Parker, I however see both sides of the coin. Parker was a genius (to a point) in his own field but was seduced by the trappings of fame, he didn't want to lose his boy. Theirs was a symbiotic relationship with each suffering from their own weaknesses, both never really understanding each other as human beings. I recognise the fact that without Parkers initial management skills I would go so far as to say Elvis would never have reached his potential! On the flip side, this man saw the writing on the wall and milked the cash cow for all it was worth. All in all you have to take the good from the bad ;)

ajr
06-17-2007, 10:18 PM
"There are few signs of Presley's career long manager, Col. Tom Parker, who both nurtured and vandalized him."

When I've thought of Parker; I too thought the same. :'(

I think he helped Elvis in the early years too; but he controlled his life .Maybe Elvis was "taken over" too young. From what I've read; Gladys didn't like or trust him. As a mother, neither would I.

jak
06-18-2007, 01:56 AM
"There are few signs of Presley's career long manager, Col. Tom Parker, who both nurtured and vandalized him."

When I've thought of Parker; I too thought the same. :'(

I think he helped Elvis in the early years too; but he controlled his life .Maybe Elvis was "taken over" too young. From what I've read; Gladys didn't like or trust him. As a mother, neither would I.

Parker didnt control Elvis' life.Look again at the Myrna interview that was posted on another thread.Even she mentioned that Elvis was aware of the moves Parker made for him.Elvis was the boss and could have changed things anytime he wanted.Parker was an absolute genious when it came to Elvis' early career.They were made for each other at the start.Parker probably should have been replaced shortly after his army stint.Parker's problem was a lack of artistic vision for his client.He was a businessman.That combined with Elvis' own lack of creativity towards his career was not a good mix later on.
Jak

ajr
06-18-2007, 02:26 AM
" Tom Parker, both nurtured and vandalized him."

KPM
06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I have often wondered about the restrictions Parker placed upon Elvis's career concerning creative things which would have kept Elvis more in step with the music and entertainment world. No new songs unless they signed over a portion of publishing for many years until the late 60s, being careful about the co-stars of his movies for fear they might outshine Elvis,(such as his worry that Ann Margret was getting too much screen time and close-ups in Viva Las Vegas)
not allowing true collaboration with other artists or people who knew music(such as his banning Leiber/Stoller from giving advice to Elvis after he heard they had given him some that he did not like) IMO In 1965 the Colonel should have seen the day of the cheap Elvis movie with little plot and mostly forgettable music was over-he should have either let Elvis expand as an actor meaning better scripts, not so much worry about image or he should have let Elvis get into the mainstream of music again with good songs no matter where they came from and lastly live appearance tours -which finally came in 69. Perhaps a little collaboration with other musicians of similar stature. But instead he let the movie train run full speed ahead for another couple years and we no the result. He kept the no personal appearances, no real collaborations which IMO I'm sure Elvis would have enjoyed since he had a real respect for talented people. So, IMO, the Col. was on top of his game in the 50s but he slipped about 64-65. By then he should have known The Elvis who did his best had to feel something was on the line, in 64 Elvis needed to get hungry - instead he was given a steady diet of boring movies which just made him fat and content to coast. The Col. directed his career and by the way he steered it he limited Elvis for a number of years, which was the true mistake.

jak
06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
The one thing that still amazes me about Elvis' career is the fact that Elvis seemed to have little to do with it.With very few exceptions Elvis didnt strive to achieve greater things or expand his horizons.Parker didnt tell him to sing the same songs night after night.Parker didnt keep Elvis out of the studio.Im no fan of Parker's in the later years but I think Elvis himself should have directed his career more.The artist needs to choose his path and exercise creative control.Elvis must have been content to let others do the driving.
Jak

KPM
06-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Well I can agree and the few times Elvis actually made creative decisions in defiance of Parker he was right-the basic direction of the 68 special. in 67 when he began to want songs which were good regardless of any piece ot the action as Parker usually had demanded. In each of those cases he had good people giving him opposing opinions to the Colonels ideas.
But Parkers managing of Elvis's career from early on used the leverage of,
"I have managed for years before you ever hit, I managed Eddy Arnold, Hank Snow ..."
IMO the underlying message was
"I know best how to sustain your career and it includes the limits I feel are in your best interest"
So after time Elvis had accepted most of these which the Col. had for years stressed as essential. He accepted them because "he trusted the Col. to always steer him right and to keep Elvis's interests at the front" . But lets face it what Parker must have worried about was Elvis getting independant of him. If you allow others (especially creative perceptive people) to much input into the situation- Parker loses control of that situation. I have never believed the "Parker hypnotised Elvis to keep him in line" bit- but for years he stressed the same formula (IMO much of it self promoting propaganda to keep Elvis believeing he had to have Parker) about career direction to stay on top. As I said he guided Elvis well until 64 or 65 after that it seems to me Parker was very off base about how to keep Elvis moving forward- he was more concerned with keeping Elvis feeling dependent and in his pocket.
I think a scene in the 1988 movie "Scrooged", with Bill Murray, shows the feeling most of the entertainment world had for Parker. When Murray who is a top major network exec is telling his secretary what gift to send to others in the entertainment world for X-mas the choices were -Top of the line VCR-or a "towel" with the networks logo-Parker got the Towel.
I only wish he got the towel about 20 years earlier.