PDA

View Full Version : Microphones?

Wild_In_The_Country
06-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Does anyone have a list /and pictures of possible of all the microphones elvis used?

rebby
06-02-2007, 10:01 AM
wow! Its amazing to see how much technology has moved on in like 30 years! I have to say though, you can't beat the old fashioned mic's from like the 40's and 50's though-- they just looked so glamorous!! Cool pics of Elvis' mic's though!

Wild_In_The_Country
06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
thanks leroy, i have a re10 and a re15,
i like buying the same model mics elvis used, you wouyld be suprised at the simular sound you can produce.

ajr
06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
If Leroy doesn't know, it's not worth asking in this venue. ;)
I've found his knowledge & dedication to learning these things amazing.
(y) (y)

Wild_In_The_Country
06-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Recently I managed to buy myself a Shure SM 57 with the original foam windscreen. I would like to purchase the Electrovoice RE-15 too but for some reason it's almost impossible to get them to the Netherlands. Quite often I see ads on Ebay but the most sellers are not willing to ship them out of the country.

if you need some help getting one, let me know mate.

toffe
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Wow, thanks for info Leroy(y)

Joe Car
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Awesome info Leroy!

Lisarose
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
There's that video on YouTube called Elvis & the Microphone where he attempts to use a wireless mike with little success. He becames quite irritated & gets rid of it. Was that sort of mike (and it was very large, imo) just too new to be - successful (for lack of a better word)? thanks for the info:clap: :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkQSsnioKU

Diane
06-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I love that you take such care in all that pertains to Elvis, his complete wardrobe off and onstage down to his microphones. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Leroy.

Diane

toffe
06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
There's that video on YouTube called Elvis & the Microphone where he attempts to use a wireless mike with little success. He becames quite irritated & gets rid of it. Was that sort of mike (and it was very large, imo) just too new to be - successful (for lack of a better word)? thanks for the info:clap: :clap:

This clip is soo funny :lol: :blush:

ajr
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
All I can do is sit & read this in awe .....:supriced:

I'm totally ignorant about all this. But, to see you have researched all this; and retained it is very impressive.
Plus, you can sing !! A very talented man!! ;) :)

marijaep
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Thank you so much for the information and the pictures Leroy:notworthy :notworthy:notworthy

Marija:clap:

Tommy
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Thank you Leroy, you are brilliant (y)

ajr
06-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Thank you for the kind words upon my work.
You shouldn't have asked me this a year ago. I have to admit someone put me on the right track, at least with the brand of the mike's. A fellow fan is collecting each and every mike, mike stand and even the original cables. But once I get started I really go into detail.

It's true, you're brilliante !!
But, I also think I'm trying to get you to sing for us. ;) There are a few that's allowed us to hear them . I'd like to hear what you've done lately.
There's one that's on PalTalk I can't stand ....so where else to hear & enjoy your music??

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I even have one picture (and one only) of Elvis using an AKG D-202 during the rehearsals

Great thread Leroy, It's this kind of detail that is not picked up by everyone (y)

Here are two more of the AKG D-202?

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't want to show my ignorrance but can you give an overview of what difference these microphones would have made in terms of his voice:hmm:

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Thank you for your help (y)

Erhan
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM

:whistling Worner Bros spys at work I'm afraid! :whistling

JDD
06-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I love that you take such care in all that pertains to Elvis, his complete wardrobe off and onstage down to his microphones. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Leroy.

Diane

I'll second that . In fact sometimes I feel like Leroy is teaching a class. I thought I knew a lot about Elvis, and I do , but Leroy knows and documents stuff I'd never even have thought about , but that I'm interested in when he posts.

So Thanks from me as Well Leroy.

JD

ajr
06-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Thank you very much friends. I'm not really teaching a class, at least I would not call it that way. Teaching would mean I'm a master but I'm still a student. But to me it has always been great fun to collect information and share it. I feel that this is the way to do it. The Elvis way. Giving and sharing.

The Elvis world has turned into shark invested waters. Instead of joining each other in the search to the real Elvis a lot of "so called" Elvis fans has turned into money making individuals. There are also a lot that has joined the EPE group and selling a kind of Elvis that never existed. A myth that they want to keep alive because it makes them looking better.
I have always been a searcher, a thinker. I always try to look beyond the obvious. Maybe that's why I manage to come up with details not many have seen before.
One of a few that sees things as they are...
.not as we'd like them to be , or even think them to be .
{and you don't even charge for your wisdom}:notworthy
"A voice in the wilderness " a breath of clean air.;)

ajr
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
The only way to hear me live AJR is on PalTalk. There are several rooms there. I'm mostly in the Karaoke/Singing department in the rooms Goodtimes Karaoke Respect Studio or Tx AnGels International Cafe or Universal Karaoke All Singers Room.
I do hope to see you there one day.

Thanks, babe.......:)
Is PLM still hanging out there ?? :unsure:
If so, I'd rather not .

However, I just might venture in there one of these days.....
To stay "on topic" , which microphone might you be using ??;)

ajr
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
The name PLM doesn't ring a bell to me.
The microphone I use is an oldie. It must be at least 25 years old. It runs on a battery. It's a Prefer OC-500. But the sound is incredible.

IF it's the one you used when you posted on EC....then I'd say "the sound is definitly incredible."

Perhaps PLM has been "taken out" . ;) , as he needed to be.
He "thought he was another EP" .....but, dissed him & others constantly.
Not a nice person at all !!
I'll see if I can find my way in......& bring others.

Lisarose
06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
:whistling Worner Bros spys at work I'm afraid! :whistling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diY3MyhXq98
Found a "new" clip, Erhan, hope you get to watch this one. It's one of my favorites of Elvis, terrific sense of humor! :lmfao: :king:

medleyofcostumes
09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Great job Leroy! What about microphones after 1974?

ksimms2
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
If Leroy doesn't know, it's not worth asking in this venue. ;)
I've found his knowledge & dedication to learning these things amazing.
(y) (y)

I'm beginning to see that, I was just about to post, "wow Leroy you know everything!" but am agreeing with your post instead...lol. :notworthy

stefankoch
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the microphone he was using doing the aloha?
I saw it ones and it had also his name writing on it.

jb_1359
11-22-2007, 08:50 AM
What about the microphones Elvis used in 1971? I seen alot of photos of him in that year, especaily from Aug. 1971 and he is using a different kind of mic. Does anyone know which one that is?????????

Joe

ricardo b. prospero
11-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Fantastic info, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing LEROY

jb_1359
11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks alot for the info Leroy!!(y) But do you know why he chose to use that mic in those months??? Beacase he never used it again on stage:hmm:

Joe

jb_1359
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
so did he use the mic that he used in 1970 for the rest of his carrer???
i see that one the most

jb_1359
11-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Thanks alot leroy for all this info!!

your a big help!

Joe

LVISFAN
07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Leroy, you are indeed the man! I am a tribute artist and have already figured out that Elvis used the RE-15 for the most part, but until I found this site I had been racking my brain and searching the net to find out the mic he used in '76/'77. I suspected the CS mic...but wasn't sure until you listed it. Thanks...now I'm on a quest to find one. So far no luck on ebay.

Jerome

Tony Trout
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the board, Lvisfan. I cannot for the life of me find a black/grey foam windscreen cover for my RE-15 and I'm actually wondering if my RE-15 is different from what Elvis used? I know that's a stupid question probably....the windscreens I've bought so far will not fit the microphone. If I had an RE-16, I'd bet that I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever because the windscreen on those mics look to be 'bout the same size as the very small black/grey foam windscreen that I currently have.

I'd like to use the windscreen without having to use electrical tape....

1100ccRider
09-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the board, Lvisfan. I cannot for the life of me find a black/grey foam windscreen cover for my RE-15 and I'm actually wondering if my RE-15 is different from what Elvis used? I know that's a stupid question probably....the windscreens I've bought so far will not fit the microphone. If I had an RE-16, I'd bet that I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever because the windscreen on those mics look to be 'bout the same size as the very small black/grey foam windscreen that I currently have.

I got lucky on eBay, long before I managed to (again on eBay) get hold of an re-15, and bought a bag of mixed black windscreens that included some that fit the re-15 perfectly. It might be worth trying a search for nonspecific windscreens, or a mixture like I got, and go for it if the price is suitably low. In the meantime, you'll be 100% authentic Elvis with that electrical tape attached!

I'm a bit confused regarding mention of the windscreen for the re-16, because my understanding was that the re-16 was an re-15 with internal windscreen, with all attributes essentially the same as the 15. That's another mic I wouldn't mind getting if the price is right.

I am totally in love with my re-15. It's the best mic I've ever been near and is just perfect for my use, apart from the whole bonus of it being Elvis' most iconic '70s mic. The lack of proximity effect, and the general supernaturally-clean quality it provides vocals, is heaven. It'd have to be one of (if not THE) best vocal microphones ever made..at least, the best that was able to withstand the rigors of handheld use or the even greater rigors inflicted by the equipment-abusing Elvis Presley (I think you could just about hammer in nails with the re-15 and still have it work). Expensive condenser mics and the like may be more perfect (the RE-200 included, that JD and the boys seemed to often use), I grant, but that re-15 is a stellar workhorse. My other mics (a newer Electrovoice, the ND 767a, I think, and the classic Shure SM-57 with windscreen) basically haven't seen much use since I got this old re-15, and I can see why even battered units from the '60s and '70s are so sought after by musicians and command such good prices long after they were discontinued.

cibetty
09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Wow, this thread is really interesting! Thanks for the infos and the pics! I liked them!

1100ccRider
09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
A few days back I have been able to get hold of a RE-15 too... Just waiting for it to be delivered. I'm gonna use it with any windscreen because I very much like the microphone as it is build.....

Excellent! You'll love it. I found that it works better for me with the windscreen because the mic seems pretty sensitive to breath and popping. Either way, it's a great little piece of technology -- they really don't make 'em like that any more!

latvija
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
What about the microphones Elvis used in Comeback Special?

ehollier
02-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I was wondering if Elvis really had much concern for the mics he used when he recorded and toured or did he just use whatever was provided by the studios and by his sound engineer while touring?

Was his ear that sensitive to sound that he dictated what he wanted or did he leave these decisions to other professionals?

LtCarman
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if Elvis really had much concern for the mics he used when he recorded and toured or did he just use whatever was provided by the studios and by his sound engineer while touring?

Was his ear that sensitive to sound that he dictated what he wanted or did he leave these decisions to other professionals?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing as well.

LtCarman
02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Elvis would simply use what was the best at that time. To get the best he highly relied on his sound engineer Bill Porter who was on the look out constantly to improve the sound. I the end it was Elvis who decide...

Thanks for the information Leroy. You are just filled to the brim with information.

ehollier
02-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Leroy, glad you are happy to share with us such trival things as we will never know enough about Elvis to ever be happy. :P :P :P

agentsl
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Uh. I'm new and I'm delighted! I thought I was the only one beeing so interested in beeing pedantical... :-)
Thank you Leroy for those informations! I feel like I found home...

I'll go for the amps...

agentsl
02-06-2009, 12:23 AM
If you did not...

Wild_In_The_Country
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Hi tony, my advice is to get intouch with electrovoice direct, i got a new RE-15 made and also foam wind screens from one of their factroys.

They still have all the parts etc to make them,i will check my address book if i still have the contact details for the person who made it.

Tony Trout
02-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi tony, my advice is to get intouch with electrovoice direct, i got a new RE-15 made and also foam wind screens from one of their factroys.

They still have all the parts etc to make them,i will check my address book if i still have the contact details for the person who made it.

I sent you a PM, dude.

beaustewart44
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I saw this post on the main page and i new are man Leroy would no whats what ad a boy!!(y):notworthy Leroy

TCB

dipresley
03-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi!
During the 68 Comeback Special Elvis used also a Altec (M28) M52 microphone. This ia very famous one because he sings the song "If I Can Dream" with it.

Greetings from Brazil!

dipresley
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Good afternoon!

At my avatar picture you can see an Electro Voice RE-15 with a grey windscreen foam that I use during my live performances with my band.

It sounds just GREAT!

I'm crazy looking for a Electro Voice CS-15E, but this it's very hard to find it.

If somebody have one of those, I'll buy it for a right price.

Greetings from Brazil!

Di Presley

latvija
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
in minneapolis November 5, 1971 elvis used SHURE SM58

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s71110501.jpg

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s71110503.jpg

latvija
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
in las vegas january/february 1974 elvis use very strange mic.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s7402xx03.jpg

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s7402xx02.jpg

Dekerivers57
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Hum. This looks a bit like an AKG D24.

Dekerivers57
05-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Ok, how about this one. Any ID on these mics?

Dekerivers57
06-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Well, I think I figured out the first one (on the left above). It looks like it might be an EV DUAL Z 660 DYNAMIC MICROPHONE.

beckelvis
06-08-2009, 05:34 PM
THANK YO FOR INFORMATION,FRIEND VERY INTERESTING

Dekerivers57
06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Any idea about the second mic? Did Elvis use the same mics in the studio? It might be interstesting to know the mics he used for recording.

Here is a start:
RCA New York - Dec 1, 1955
RCA 44A

Radio Recorders - Los Angeles - 1950's
RCA 77DX (two at once for movement per Scotty Moore)

Studio B - Nashville - June 10, 1958
Nuemann M49

easyrider
11-04-2009, 01:51 PM
thanks for information and photos.

jab350
01-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Jepp, sure do. Ive got along list of equipment that Elvis liked to use. Most of the information i got from RCA.

jab350
01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
It's an RCA microphone. can't remember the model number. Will find out for you.

hounddog
05-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Leroy
Can you tell me what these mice are?
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=93426&title=1969-live&cat=41
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=93410&title=live2769&cat=41
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=91855&title=vegas69-4a&cat=41

i did a search on you're info which is just amazing and one of them looks like a RCA'S HK-102

thanks

CLAY
05-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanx Leroy for that great research

peter
12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I read whole theme and I have one question:
When you go through the pictures of last tour in June 77, it seems that he used different microphones - or better to say, they looks a bit different. Compare visually the one he used on 1st half of this tour (17th to 23rd June), and then the other one he used till the last show. Im talking for example about these photos (source from elvisconcerts.com site - http://elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c770623.htm) and these http://elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c770626.htm. that black streak on the first one confuses me and another thing - it seems to me, that the head (or better to say windscreen) of 1st mic is larger than on the 2nd one....

Dekerivers57
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Greetings All. Anyone know the type of mic used for the Jungle Room sessions? I've read in the past something about an Electrovoice RE 15/16, is this accurate?

Liamtcb
02-12-2011, 02:14 AM
Leroy any chance you could tell me how many times Elvis used a shure58 on stage?
many thanks
Lee.

medleyofcostumes
02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
As far as I know only two times. One time during the November tour in 1970, while performing in San Francisco, and one time during the November tour in 1971, using it only for a brief moment. I will try to find the pictures.

San Francisco 13 November 1970: http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40692&title=lets-go&cat=28
?? November 1971: http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=91038&title=elvistoday3&cat=29

medleyofcostumes
02-24-2011, 05:43 AM
So it's 3 different mikes for the november 71 tour, right?

Gary198101
11-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi everyone,
First off I want to thank Leroy and the great information he has provided. I became interested in this topic the other day and a google search brought me here. Some of my observations, the microphone he used at the International Hotel (Hilton) is definitely an Electro-Voice RE16, there is no disputing that one. My curiosity peaked with the microphone he used once he started touring, I don't think its an elctro voice but I could be wrong. The microphone in the later years had a smooth handle (the Re-16 doesn't) and was covered by the windscreen that in some pictures was gray and some blue. It appears to be longer in length with the smooth handle and the bottom of the re-16 was solid aluminum, which with the best of efforts I don't think it could have been hidden by the wind screen. In some of the last concert footage it had a black band around it near the top presumably electrical tape, but also noticed there were several of these microphones on stage some with the backup singers and one was on the piano in a desk stand when he did unchained melody. One of the last pieces of evidence I have supporting it being some kind of electro-voice is that clearly the microphone holder on the stand is an EV product, grayish in color. and the pics that Peter posted above when I viewed them the mic appears to flare out to the base of the windscrren indicating to me that its not a RE-16 head underneath the windscreen. I would really love to know what kind of microphone this is that he was using on tour. So I open the floor for discussion, feel free to disagree with what I have said, but would like to find out what kind it is. Thanks....Gary

Gary198101
11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Peter, I posted a long winded post below to talk about the Microphones, but in the pictures you posted to me, both seem to me to be the same microphone. I mentioned it in my post below, so maybe with the great Leroy we might bat one out of the park and find out what it truly is.

Tony Trout
02-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Gary,

I believe that, back on page 1 of this thread, Leroy posted an entire list of what Elvis used onstage.

That reminds me....where in the world IS Leroy??? I've not seen him around here in FOREVER!!!!!!

1100ccRider
05-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Weird...can't see any of Leroy's posts here. Gone forever, or just a glitch?

1100ccRider
05-02-2014, 07:09 AM
By the way, I use the following 'Elvis' mics and they're all great, some greater than others for vocals (apparently, too, Bill Porter was not a fan of proximity effect):

EV RE15 (classic!) - 1969 to 1973 (and at Houston in '74, if I recall correctly)
Shure SM53 (probably the 'prettiest' mic I have) - late 1970 tours, and at least one date in 11/71 (maybe in Tahoe and Vegas, a few times, too?)
Shure SM-57 (with windshield) - June and November, 1972
AKG d224 - most of 1973 and 1974
EV CS-15e (condenser mic...phenomenal sound) - late 1974 to the end

At some point I'll pick up the RE16 (essentially the same in any meaningful way as the re15) and, though it tends to be very pricey (and is still sold new) the Beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic that he used in early '74, the still gets rave reviews for its sound. Oddly enough, the mic that's perhaps the most ubiquitous on the planet -- the trusty Shure SM58 -- is one I don't have yet, though they're abundant and can be had at low prices on eBay, so I'll probably get that before long. I use them all the time, with house setups, but never had one of my own. Adding these three would cover the mics he used most on stage in the '70s. There're still a few odd ones that he used at times, though. Really interesting to compare the mics and play with my amp to see what kind of sound I can produce...all are quite different.

Tony Trout
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
By the way, I use the following 'Elvis' mics and they're all great, some greater than others for vocals (apparently, too, Bill Porter was not a fan of proximity effect):

EV RE15 (classic!) - 1969 to 1973 (and at Houston in '74, if I recall correctly)
Shure SM53 (probably the 'prettiest' mic I have) - late 1970 tours, and at least one date in 11/71 (maybe in Tahoe and Vegas, a few times, too?)
Shure SM-57 (with windshield) - June and November, 1972
AKG d224 - most of 1973 and 1974
EV CS-15e (condenser mic...phenomenal sound) - late 1974 to the end

At some point I'll pick up the RE16 (essentially the same in any meaningful way as the re15) and, though it tends to be very pricey (and is still sold new) the Beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic that he used in early '74, the still gets rave reviews for its sound. Oddly enough, the mic that's perhaps the most ubiquitous on the planet -- the trusty Shure SM58 -- is one I don't have yet, though they're abundant and can be had at low prices on eBay, so I'll probably get that before long. I use them all the time, with house setups, but never had one of my own. Adding these three would cover the mics he used most on stage in the '70s. There're still a few odd ones that he used at times, though. Really interesting to compare the mics and play with my amp to see what kind of sound I can produce...all are quite different.

Thanks, friend! You nailed it by naming every microphone Elvis used during his career from '68 - '77.