PDA

View Full Version : Jumpsuits Do They Create A Bad Image For Elvis

fanforlife
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
I belive that the jumpsuit era is very negative to the image of Elvis and is directly responsibile for a lot of the negativity that you hear about the king.If Elvis had not worn the things and instead chose to wear something more suiting i believe that people would find it much harder to say bad things about him.Look around you, people who criticise him always factor on how he looked in that period the jumpsuits were so uncool and for someone of his stature i cannot believe that he wore them.I understand that styles change and he was the master of that and he looked good in just about anything.Honestly though and i love Elvis and always will, to promote his legacy it should be done to show him in the best light and to encourage new fans showing him in some jumpsuit is not the best idea.He was the ultimate cool in the 50's and that era should be promoted the most.However the early jumpsuits 69, when he made his comeback were quite cool but the rest should have been dumped.I am tired off people taking the mickey out of him for wearing the things ,he should be respected for what he acheived.
Elvis just does not get enough respect from people other muscical legeds like the Beatles,etc do so why not him.Young people i know for a fact like his 50's look but the 70's jumpsuits are ridiculed.

jak
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Youre right about the jumpsuits being an easy target for people to ridicule Elvis.I for one like the jumpsuits with a few exceptions.Having said that I wish Elvis would have stopped wearing them after a few years.I do think Elvis wearing a jumpsuit looking good is an iconic image.The problems came after 74 or so when they became more outlandish in design and his condition got worse.He looks godlike in the Aloha special.Compare that to a 76 photo wearing the prehistoric bird suit.It's a big difference.How many impersonator's shun the jumpsuits?Most dont because it's so indentifide with him.As I stated on the other topic this hurts the image of Elvis during the 70's.I think the biggest factor however was just Elvis' physical decline.The stigma of the jumpsuits wouldnt be as great if Elvis could have maintained his level of performing.Everybody Im around thinks Elvis was fat and lousy from 1970 on playing only in vegas wearing his jumpsuits.Getting the average joe to realize that wasnt the case is a tough one and the jumpsuits dont make it any easier.
Jak

srj1967
05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
The jumpsuits were very cool, but only for a couple of years. Elvis was the first to wear them, and many musical artists copied him.

The mistake he made, like in so many areas of his life, was to wear them way past their fashion used-by date. He should've stopped wearing them by 1972, and stuck to those great two-piece suits, or moved on to something else.

Okay, so maybe he should've worn a jumpsuit during Aloha for the last time.

The main reason that, these days, jumpsuits are looked upon as hackneyed and stupid is primarily because of the impersonators who wear their own versions.

If the impersonators didn't exist today (oh, what a sweet, sweet world that would be!), then Elvis in his jumpsuits would be a more credible, powerful image of a specific late 60s, early 70s era than they are today.

boogie
05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
I think, no Elvis without jumpsuits...specially during 70-72...
maybe he should have changed them a little bit, but for me he looked great in them(y) (y) When you see some creations like the Dragon and peacock, he's fantastic in it....

toffe
05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
The jumpsuits were very cool, but only for a couple of years. Elvis was the first to wear them, and many musical artists copied him.

The mistake he made, like in so many areas of his life, was to wear them way past their fashion used-by date. He should've stopped wearing them by 1972, and stuck to those great two-piece suits, or moved on to something else.

Okay, so maybe he should've worn a jumpsuit during Aloha for the last time.

The main reason that, these days, jumpsuits are looked upon as hackneyed and stupid is primarily because of the impersonators who wear their own versions.

If the impersonators didn't exist today (oh, what a sweet, sweet world that would be!), then Elvis in his jumpsuits would be a more credible, powerful image of a specific late 60s, early 70s era than they are today.

You are absolutt right! (y)

stefankoch
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
The ducktale in the back of his hair was Elvis (the king) in the 50 `s
The pretty boy look was Elvis (the king ) in the 60 `s
The Jumpsuits was Elvis ( the king ) in the 70 `s
You can`t change that.
And i respect that man for everything he stood for, that man is fashion and that man is the only one that billions of people around the world tryed to be.
No matter what, the people who critisies the jumpsuits today has a small brain because they dont think about what was the time back then:angry:
Of course it would look stupid today and of course Elvis would`nt wear jumpsuits today.
People who dont know anything exept Jailhouse rock and Love me tender also think he had them on in private :cursing: :wallbash: :censored:

ajr
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
You can`t change that.
And i respect that man for everything he stood for, that man is fashion and that man is the only one that billions of people around the world tryed to be.
No matter what, the people who critisies the jumpsuits today has a small brain because they dont think about what was the time back then:angry:
Of course it would look stupid today and of course Elvis would`nt wear jumpsuits today.
People who dont know anything exept Jailhouse rock and Love me tender also think he had them on in private :cursing: :wallbash: :censored:

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Joe Car
05-31-2007, 09:13 PM
It's the impersonators that have done more harm then anything or anybody, not all of them, but the majority. The jumpsuit was great for EP when he was sleek, but that is not a type of outfit one can wear when overweight, because any ounce of fat will show. I tell you what, nobody ever looked better then EP did in that Concha suit from 1970!

KPM
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Well in 77 other artists were still wearing the jumpsuits, Jaggar, The Who, The Jackson 5, Lionel Richie, Osmonds, KC & Sunshine Band, Roy Orbison, and they were still being sold at the youth oriented stores at the mall near where I lived- but they were nearing the end of their run from 75 on IMO.

Accourding to a source online they were popular until 1980-Starting in the 1960s, jumpsuits became a part of fashion. Even if they never became everyday wear for everyone, they stayed more or less in fashion until around 1980.

You can't get around the fact that he wore them. The 69 to 73 suits were pretty classy for the most part I thought-but after 73 they were hit and miss(more misses that hits) But I liked many of them and thought he looked cool in alot of them. But Its all part of the:
"Thank ya, Thank ya very much"
"image" that has been allowed to form over the last 30 years. It is a stereotypical and it does not represent Elvis well.

mislulu
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
You can`t change that.

You are right Stefan. I can recall when David Cassidy wore the jumpsuit in his concerts. What a joke! :lmfao:

Jungleroom76
05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Boy, that is a tough question... :hmm:

Although I am a HUGE fan of Elvis in the 70's and personally love the jumpsuits, I have to agree that when Elvis started putting on weight in the later 70's, a different stage outfit of some kind that would have looked more flattering (forgiving?) might have been the way to go for Elvis!

Elvis was always THE PIONEER in terms of many things throughout his career, as we have discussed before in many different threads (first to have his own plane, first to broadcast a concert around the world via satellite, starting new hairstyle and clothing trends, etc...), so if Elvis had gotten away from the jumpsuits and gone to another style of clothing for his concerts, it might have been "the one" that would be most associated with Elvis in the 70's. Instead, the jumpsuits were what he was wearing right up until he passed away, so they have become synonomus with Elvis in the 1970's for that very reason, in my opinion!

And who knows...if Elvis had started a different concert clothing trend in the later 70's, perhaps those artists mentioned by KPM such as Roy Orbison, the Osmonds, KC & The Sunshine Band, etc. might have been wearing that style of clothing in 1977 instead of the jumpsuits!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

TCBnAflash
06-01-2007, 03:03 AM
I don't agree, Elvis created an image that was unstoppable. Believe it or not there once was a when weight didn't matter when it came to vocalists'.
If anyone had the right to wear the jumpsuits, it was Elvis. The hair, the make up the attitude was something Elvis created and was proud of it.
It was a way for him to express what he was into, from the chinese dragon, Old Indian Feathers to the Mexican Sundial.
The Jumpsuits were very, very Elvisy.

JDD
06-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Though some of them are works of art, and he had some incredible concerts during that era, I have never been a big fan of him wearing them.

Raised on Rock
06-01-2007, 06:08 AM
When Elvis cameback to live performances, his stage clothes, the jumpsuits, started a trend for live performers just as his looks during the '50 were the trend for any rebelious teenager. There was nothing to laugh about any of his 1970 jumpsuits, he looked great, it was something new, he looked cool, he was The King, even Mick Jagger himself got the idea from Elvis and started to wear jumpsuits with The Rolling Stones from '71 until the '75 American Tour. Jumpsuits I belive where great until '74, after that, yes, for some reason, most of them were of poor taste.

'74 was time for a change, but not only time for a change of clothes but time for a change in Elvis life, period, don?t blame jumpsuits, some nights the guy didn?t looked good, no matter what he choosed to wear, but obviously, if you are overweighted, to wear a jumpsuit, and one with a huge gold and round thing over your belly (an aztec calendar) well it is not the best dam idea you may get, sorry Elvis but that was dumb.

srj1967
06-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Elvis was a trend setter, he looked great, he had a lot of dignity.

Check out this photo from an Aussie band, who were known as "Glam Rock".....oh boy...... lol (wiping eyes, looking away...{not in a good way}) lol

http://www.aswas.com/skyhooks/img/

It was the 70's! It was the time of bad taste! lol

Skyhooks was part of every kid's Aussie childhood! They were great. They're lead singer, "Shirley" Strachan, was a huge Elvis fan. He was killed in a helicopter crash a few years ago ...

srj1967
06-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Very sad, yes. Shirley seemed like a nice man. I was upset.

Don't hear from Red much now though? I guess there isn't much around, that Red, playing the "intelligent cynic", can do (with all the horrible reality shows on, nowadays).

Red Symons hosts a radio show down in Melbourne and does public speaking engagements. He also produces records for new artists.

And he's a judge on the TV show Australia's Got Talent alongside Dannii Minogue (the woman who wishes she was Kylie).

Brian Quinn
06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Teenagers cannot see the relevance of jumpsuits. The rest of the population seem to like them, although minus the 'bell bottoms'.

Brian ;)

Trelane P
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Watch any episode of Top Of The Pops from 1970 and see if any acts of the day even came close to looking as great as Elvis did in That's The Way It Is.

Unfortunately, I agree with alot of comments here that post 1973 he should have dumped them 4ever.

fanforlife
06-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes he did look good in some but the majority of the jumpsuits were just...no.
Elvis was a extremely handsome man and i am fed up off seeing these impersontors all around.Most are overweight pathetic looking ####s defacing his image by trying to be him.It does his image no good at all and over time all it is acheiving is reducing his image to something we as fans do not want it to be.Look at all the icon shots rarely will you find one of him in a jumpsuit baring a few exceptions.Style and music move on Elvis fans will be fans no matter what but,it is time to correct the mistakes set him up with a fan base for the future set the image correctly of when he was the king a snarling,hip shaking,gelled,rock and roll poineer.I am also fed up off arguing with my work colleagues trying to explain that he was only overweight for technically one year of his life but those **************** jumpsuits just make it harder to get the message across.I remember as a 5 year old child seeing a Elvis concert on t.v and thinking "what is he doing" wearing those things.We all want Elvis to be loved for decades to come and have a huge fan base he needs to be shown as what he really was not what most people percieve him as(not fans) which is unfortunately a drug taking overweight singer wearing silly jumpsuits.

ajr
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
......... he needs to be shown as what he really was not what most people percieve him as(not fans) which is unfortunately a drug taking overweight singer wearing silly jumpsuits.

Every war begins with one person's first step. It's up to each of us to change that "image" you speak of; instead of letting it go on & on & finally agreeing with "them."

Some think the book "EWH" didn't hurt EP?? Where do we think all that started?? Read the lab reports; EP did not die from drugs, but from "heart problems." Only until we believe that ourselves will we be able to ignore all the "gossip."
Even though the reports state there were drugs found in the body....in the end; all reports state "the drugs found were needed for his heath".

As to the jumpsuits ; Elvis made them the "style" back then. He looked good in most of them. I've looked back at some things I used to wear & wondered what ever possessed me to wear such things. ;)
While we follow what fashion indicates; Elvis created the fashion.
Basically, it just gets down to; "love him or leave him."
It's kinda silly to discuss a "fashion trend" from more than 30 years ago, IMO.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
There are many things that Elvis should or shouldn't have done, wearing Jumpsuits was part of the showmanship being larger than life! I agree that the Image has not worn well but as so many have pointed out the Impersonator or Tribute artist has all but demolished this Image and made a mockery.

However the true fan will see past a short sighted view of the ignorant masses. When you look at the jumpsuits on an individual basis and close up, each one has its own beauty, I think the problem that is associated with the Jumpsuits is if Elvis looks unwell or overweight then the Jumpsuit looks odd? If you can Imagine an Elvis from 1970/71 in the Mexican Sundial or The Blue Egyptian it would change things considerably.

jak
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Even though the reports state there were drugs found in the body....in the end; all reports state "the drugs found were needed for his heath".

You and I have certainly had our disgreements.But do you honestly believe that statement?All those drugs were needed for his health?Im not a doctor but I wish Elvis wasnt taking any of those drugs for "his health".He might still be here.He was taking pain killers normally prescribed to cancer patients for pete sake.I know I will be labeled a non fan for making these comments but we are talking about the ongoing myths around him.Saying Elvis wasnt an addict or that drugs were not involved in his death is ludicrous.Those drugs detroyed him and turned him into a parody of his former self.Look at the quantities prescribed to him by those "helpfull" doctors.I would rather hear you slam the doctors rather than say he needed those pills.Elvis had the same attitude as you about the pills and that's why he died.Cmon ajr you have got to know better.
Jak

Leroy
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Very good spoken AJR. There seems to be a whole new generation of Elvis fans. On itself I think that is a good thing. The only problem is that they can only look in retrospect because they don't have the feeling we have. And "we" is the generation that have witnessed Elvis during, at least a part of his lifetime. During the years Elvis used his jumpsuits almost every fan couldn't get enough of it. Even up to a point where Elvis was ready to refuse certain jumpsuits (Colourful Flame Suit) but eventually dressed up in it only to please the fans!!!!!!!

It's not the jumpsuits that creates a bad reputation. It's the (so called) fans who are creating this by daring to ask this. And the impersonators who are lacking every feeling of detail. And the way Elvis is portrated by the media and even EPE. We, the fans, can change this by taking Elvis the way he was instead of questioning every desicion he made. Remember it's a privilege to make mistakes.

ajr
06-01-2007, 11:07 AM
.......Im not a doctor......

I'm not going to talk to you. Except to agree with your statement above.
I'm not a pathologist either. I'll leave them to do their job.Though why 3 labs should lie, I find that hard to believe.
Of course. my work has always been in the medical field.....not listening to the MM. ;)

Merry
06-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Very good spoken AJR. There seems to be a whole new generation of Elvis fans. On itself I think that is a good thing. The only problem is that they can only look in retrospect because they don't have the feeling we have. And "we" is the generation that have witnessed Elvis during, at least a part of his lifetime. During the years Elvis used his jumpsuits almost every fan couldn't get enough of it. Even up to a point where Elvis was ready to refuse certain jumpsuits (Colourful Flame Suit) but eventually dressed up in it only to please the fans!!!!!!!

It's not the jumpsuits that creates a bad reputation. It's the (so called) fans who are creating this by daring to ask this. And the impersonators who are lacking every feeling of detail. And the way Elvis is portrated by the media and even EPE. We, the fans, can change this by taking Elvis the way he was instead of questioning every desicion he made. Remember it's a privilege to make mistakes.

Thanks Leroy.

Jess

fanforlife
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
People write on this forum because they love Elvis if you ask a question it does not make a person any less of a fan,if you question what he did,it does not make you any less of a fan.We do it because we care.yes, Elvis made mistakes,he was after all only human like the rest of us. We all make mistakes but the truth needs to be admitted,Elvis had it all in the palm of his hand good looks great hair, amazing voice and unfortunately through time and through HIS behaviour,yes his own behaviour led to his death.Elvis had ailments he took medication to help but he abused these seriously abused them to the point where he could barely function as a person.It is well known,well documented by his friends,etc.He must have had his reasons i don.t think he was happy where he was at and he wanted a release through these pills as much as possibile.Now days he would have had help left right and centre back then he was left to stew and no one basically worried enough to help him.His sucess, his life, and the drugs killed him.Unfortunately that is what a great majority of the public remember him by, not by what he acheived but by the way he died,which is completely wrong.The people controlling his estate need to sort their act out and fight back to establish ELVIS'S role as number 1 artist of all time.

ajr
06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
It's not the jumpsuits that creates a bad reputation. It's the (so called) fans who are creating this by daring to ask this...... the way Elvis is portrated by the media and even EPE. We, the fans, can change this by taking Elvis the way he was instead of questioning every desicion he made. Remember it's a privilege to make mistakes.

Boy, do I ever agree with this statement....;)
I can't question any decision he made.....especially his clothes.
He was "cool" & everyone copied him....

As I've said : "Love him or leave him."
I think Elvis would have more to say, but some words are restricted here. ;)
IF to be an "Elvis fan" meant to take him apart; piece by piece.....I would have never have been a fan......

ajr
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
........,Elvis had it all in the palm of his hand good looks great hair, amazing voice and unfortunately through time and through HIS behaviour,yes his own behaviour led to his death.Elvis had ailments he took medication to help but he abused these seriously abused them to the point where he could barely function as a person.It is well known,well documented by his friends,etc.

Well, that is a direct quote from Red West.
Did Red or Sonny ever say why they too used drugs ??
Friends?? He didn't need friends like that, IMO.
But, we're :offtopic: once again....sorry.

fanforlife
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes,that is a direct quote from Red West.If you love some one you help them unfortunately its to late to help Elvis.By questioning what they did YOU ARE SHOWING A INTEREST IN THEM and in time you can maybe understand their reasons for doing it.I think we as fans fall into two groups.One who just never question,and the others who are JUST AS BIG FANS BUT WILL QUESTION WHAT HE DID.I will always be a ELVIS fan but i don't belive that questioning some of his actions is taking him apart piece by piece.

jak
06-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes,that is a direct quote from Red West.If you love some one you help them unfortunately its to late to help Elvis.By questioning what they did YOU ARE SHOWING A INTEREST IN THEM and in time you can maybe understand their reasons for doing it.I think we as fans fall into two groups.One who just never question,and the others who are JUST AS BIG FANS BUT WILL QUESTION WHAT HE DID.I will always be a ELVIS fan but i don't belive that questioning some of his actions is taking him apart piece by piece.

Its refreshing to see a post based on common sense.I just cant undertand how so many fans can turn a blind eye to Elvis' drug problems and basically refuse to admit it destroyed him.I dont need quotes from the MM to know this.I've always wondered if these same people have seen the video or listened to the audio that's available.The man could barely function at times.I know the fans look at him with loving eyes but Elvis' decline was out in the open for all to witness.How can it be so easily dismissed?
Jak

jak
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
It's not the jumpsuits that creates a bad reputation. It's the (so called) fans who are creating this by daring to ask this

I have to strongly disagree with this comment.Youre saying that this person isnt a fan just because they question Elvis' atire?We all should just blindly accept everything Elvis did without question?We dont have the right to ask why about certain things?If that logic is true then it should apply to all phases of Elvis' career.Cant I ask why he filmed Harum scarum or recorded Old Macdonald?Am I less of a fan because i dont like to watch Easy Come Easy Go or would rather take cyanide than listen to Yoga Is As Yoga does?I dare to ask why he muddled through such garbage.How can the same guy that recorded Ito eats be the same guy that cut Suspicous Minds.How diod Elvis go from the Aloha special to the Elvis we saw in the v neck puffy sleeve jumpsuit?Anybody here think Elvis looked good in that suit?Not a thing wrong with the notion he should have went a different direction with his stage costumes at a certain point.
Jak

ajr
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM

But, why did the MM go right along taking drugs with him??
It wasn't until they were fired they "decided to help him'??
Sorry, I don't buy their explanation.....but, you can. It's all in whatever you choose to believe.

I can't question Elvis' actions because I wasn't there .From going back & researching all that was going on at that time......he had a lot of problems.
Not only "EWH" ........but all the lawsuits brought against him for the MM actions against fans , and Esposito & Dr Nick borrowing money for those racquetball courts, a swindle on one of his airplanes, etc. etc.
IF you're gonna look at Elvis actions.....please consider looking at what all these "friends" were doing to him.

And I still think EP looked great in his jumpsuits . ;)
He was just getting sicker & sicker & no one seemed to care . :'(
As to his movies or "choice of songs". IMO .......it was Parker that set all that up ..to make money. I don't watch some of those old movies...they were fun, but nothing that showed what a great actor he could have been.
I can be an Elvis fan without watching or listening to all that stuff either. ;)

Elvis_Priestly
06-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I guess he never got the chance to try a different style of costume, stage wear - and he did find them very comfortable for performing in. As I said somewhere before sometime (sorry, memories going!) look at Voice, Sherril Neilsen etc, now those jumpsuits were atrocious - Elvis' seem timeless to me.
If he were performing now he might be in the dinner jacket style, alas we'll never know but the jumpsuits are a precious image and symbol.

One thing that gets me though is how often he looked so much better in some of the suits off stage. The first pic of him in the 70's candid Gallery here is one of my favs. The surroundings are appaling but watching Elvis get himself off the loading bay with a glass of water in one hand and keeping his suit clean by raising himself on the other is a great pic of his strength despite his illness etc.

I hated the gypsy and chicken bone style suits until I saw them on video footage, they look great moving and in the lights which still photos can't capture.

I was six when he died, so to all of you who had the chance to see him during part of his career I'd love to hear your stories to go with the video and soundboards etc. What was it like?

Diane
06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I've always loved the jumpsuits. Some of the designs towards the end I didn't especially care for but felt that only Elvis could carry them off the way he did because of his posture, the way he moved - in other words, he was classy even when he gained the weight. I think had he lived he would have changed with the times and gone to something else. Maybe back to two-piece suits? Who knows? Whatever, I'm sure he would have chosen something different that would have made him stand out as he did before the jumpsuits (the black leather, the brown and black suits).

The jumpsuits giving Elvis a bad image? No, it's the people who WANTED to USE them to give him a bad image that caused that whole situation - they would have used anything even had he not dressed in jumpsuits. And I certainly agree with Conor that Shrerril Neilson's jumpsuit was atrocious but Elvis' were always in good taste even if they were a bit gaudy - he never looked cheap.

As far as his drug use, I don't question it, I accept it as part of his life, feel it did contribute to his early death, but also feel it was a little exaggerated by those who surrounded him at the time as was some other things said about him. It's all in who is telling what and how that person perceived what was going on. Another person may see the same situation in a whole different light and none of them were guiltless anyway which makes me question their credibility.

fanforlife
06-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I cannot agree with Diane regarding the" PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO USE THEM TO GIVE HIM A BAD IMAGE THAT CAUSED THE WHOLE SITUATION".If Elvis had stopped the drugs and chosen a more suitabile attire(no jumpsuits) people could not say what they have been saying.Imagine if he stayed in shape stopped the drugs and was on top of the game who could ridicule him and on what grounds.He would have been numero uno.The drugs messed him up,the MM followed their leader and did the same thing,i wish people had the bottle to tell him what he was doing to himself and somehow someone had forced him to get off the drugs and get into shape,they all let him down but most of all Elvis let himself down the most.

ajr
06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
...... chosen a more suitabile attire(no jumpsuits) people could not say what they have been saying .... who could ridicule him and on what grounds.

IF Elvis had continued to wear leather suits until he died......that's how people would see/remember him. It makes no difference what he would have worn to people that enjoy finding something to put him down about.
To blame an inanimate "thing" on some people "ridiculing Elvis" doesn't make sense . IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT ENJOY MAKING FUN OF OTHERS, BE IT ELVIS OR ANYONE ELSE, IMO. :blink:
Elvis was quite "in style " in his jumpsuits . That was 30 years ago !! I remember wearing bellbottoms, myself. I also had some "jumpsuits" though that's not what they were called when I wore them.

Lisarose
06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
The jumpsuits have an unfortunate association with Elvis because he died at the peak of the jumpsuit era and was actively performing concerts at the time of his death. Of course, if Elvis had lived, he would have moved on & away from the jumpsuits in keeping with fashion. He was not the only performer to wear jumpsuits. The public must remember that Elvis did not walk the streets in jumpsuits, but in the fashion of the day. Elvis fans know that whatever fashion he would have chosen would be unique to him. He would never wear just a plain oxford shirt & khaki slacks.

srj1967
06-02-2007, 04:20 AM
I will always be a ELVIS fan but i don't belive that questioning some of his actions is taking him apart piece by piece.

(y) (y) (y)

Merry
06-02-2007, 04:27 AM
That is obviously a statement from the minority. Fanforlife sounds like someone else who was posting here :doh:

This is a board for the fans of Elvis Presley. A lot of people, the majority, would agree with me. There is a time and a place, this isn't the place, it just causes upsets, and we are supposed to be having fun, not going over the same thing....why bother being negative saying the same things?

Besides, including my reply is: :offtopic:

srj1967
06-02-2007, 04:28 AM
As to his movies or "choice of songs". IMO .......it was Parker that set all that up ... to make money. [/B]

And Elvis made the choice to go right on making crappy movies and mostly crappy music for eight long years.

srj1967
06-02-2007, 04:37 AM
I can't question any decision he made ...

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

srj1967
06-02-2007, 04:45 AM
All those drugs were needed for his health? Cmon ajr you have got to know better.
Jak

The early lab and autopsy reports were bogus to say the least. I for one will be anticipating 2027, when the autopsy results can finally be made public. Yes, it was a heart attack that killed Elvis, but it was the drugs, lousy food and lifestyle which caused it.

From Peter Guralnick's Careless Love:

"Drug use was heavily implicated in this unanticipated death of a middle-aged man with no known history of heart disease ... no one ruled out the possibility of anaphylactic shock brought on by the codeine pills he had gotten from his dentist, to which he was known to have had a mild allergy of long standing. There was little disagreement in fact between the two principal laboratory reports and analyses filed two months later, with each stating a strong belief that the primary cause of death was polypharmacy, and the BioScience Laboratories report indicating the detection of fourteen drugs in Elvis's system, ten in significant quantity."

Merry
06-02-2007, 04:46 AM
The early lab and ."[/I]

:offtopic:

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Can we PLEASE get this topic back on track and I would appreciate it if we didn't get personal.

WE KNOW ABOUT ELVIS' DRUG HABITS CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON, IT SEEMS THAT ALMOST EVERY OTHER THREAD IS HIJACKED TO MAKE THIS POINT!

Matt

srj1967
06-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Read the lab reports; EP did not die from drugs, but from "heart problems."

Don't blame us. ;)

And, to reply to Lisarose, I don't think Elvis died at the "peak" of the jumpsuit era. 1977 was, indeed, the "punk" era. I believe the suits had had their day by '72 or so.

I also read a story years ago that in '77 or so that Elvis had asked his designers to incorporate some sort of rudimentary "laser" system into his next suit. Some way of getting coloured lights or something to beam off special sensors that were to be included in the design?

Anyone else hear of this? A tad over the top, if true, but it could have been interesting ... for a while.

ajr
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Can we PLEASE get this topic back on track and I would appreciate it if we didn't get personal.

WE KNOW ABOUT ELVIS' DRUG HABITS CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON, IT SEEMS THAT ALMOST EVERY OTHER THREAD IS HIJACKED TO MAKE THIS POINT!

Matt

I loved Elvis' jumpsuits. It's how he is identified & why this discussion started. Bottom line : If you don't like him the way he was, there doesn't seem to be a thing you can do about it now. Time to grow up & move on....

Personally, I have a lot more going on in my life than to worry about what Elvis wore or if he took drugs. All this was 30 years ago .Time for a little perspective.

It would be nice if we could stick to the topic at hand without all the arguing. I don't mind being insulted & called names....I'm here to defend myself, Elvis isn't. IF someone wants to discuss his drug use; start another thread ...I promise; I'll leave them to it. ;)
Elvis was an Entertainer first & foremost. He gave to us more than we've ever given to him. IF he wasn't someone special ,none of us would be here talking about him.
"WE KNOW ABOUT ELVIS' DRUG HABITS CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON, IT SEEMS THAT ALMOST EVERY OTHER THREAD IS HIJACKED TO MAKE THIS POINT!"
On this I agree. What point is this making?? you'd think only a couple of people know all this so, the "terrible two" has to be sure we're informed.
Like none of the rest of us can read?? It's been pointed out adnauseum , why let it spill over into all the subjects brought up??
IF there wasn't more to Elvis than this; why are we here??
(y) (y)

jak
06-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I think one of the reason's Elvis kept the jumpsuits around for longer than he should have was indicitive of his personality.Once he got a routine going he stuck to it.As any audio collector knows his live shows were amazingly similiar over the years.He stuck to a formula.If it aint broke dont fix it.As I said earlier him looking good in a jumpsuit is a classic image.They just were not the best choice when his condition got worse.I would say when he wore the two piece suits in 75 he was as heavy as he ever was yet those outfits made him look pretty good.The jumpsuits had the opposite effect.If you look at the photos of him wearing the sundial suit in 74 he is still looking pretty good.Then compare those pix to anything from the 77 tours.That's all the proof you need to know if he should have change his stage costumes.
Jak

ajr
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure EP kept the jumpsuits "longer than he should have".
Who's to say?? There is a comment on here where someone said that EP tried to change; but the "fans wouldn't let him."
I don't know about that. you'd have to ask Leroy or JJ as they're the experts in that area. :notworthy
I DO remember reading he tried to change some of his concerts {songs, etc.} & the fans didn't like that. But, I won't even pretend to know that much about the jumpsuits.

I can say; they were comfortable when they were in style & I wore them.....Biggest problem was when you had to go to the bathroom ......
at least for a female ....;)

Suspicious Minds
06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
The jumpsuits was Elvis's trademark. The Osmonds copied Elvis's jumpsuit in 70' or had some designed for them. In the later 70's I thought Elvis would have dropped the jumpsuits for alternative stagewear. Some suits were too heavy with the decorated suits. Also expensive if he added jewels to the suits.

jak
06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure EP kept the jumpsuits "longer than he should have".
Who's to say?? There is a comment on here where someone said that EP tried to change; but the "fans wouldn't let him."
I don't know about that. you'd have to ask Leroy or JJ as they're the experts in that area. :notworthy
I DO remember reading he tried to change some of his concerts {songs, etc.} & the fans didn't like that. But, I won't even pretend to know that much about the jumpsuits.

I can say; they were comfortable when they were in style & I wore them.....Biggest problem was when you had to go to the bathroom ......
at least for a female ....;)

The change's you are reffering to was the opening night in Vegas 74.Baxter released it under the title If You Talk In Your Sleep.The idea of the fans not letting him change is another popular myth.The same songs night after night meant no rehearsals and it was easier.The fans would have bouight tickets no matter what he wore or sang.Elvis never had a problem putting behinds in the seats.I personally like the jumpsuits and I collect original photos of them.It just got to the point where he physically didnt look that good in them any longer.Even in the early vegas years when he might wear a pair of white slacks and a nice shirt he looked incredible in it.Just as impressive as a jumpsuit to me.Would the ETA's even exist if Elvis never wore a jumpsuit?Would the weekly desecration of Elvis image being perpetrated in small bars across the country be less predominant if he never wore them?
Jak

ajr
06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
The idea of the fans not letting him change is another popular myth.

Would the ETA's even exist if Elvis never wore a jumpsuit?Would the weekly desecration of Elvis image being perpetrated in small bars across the country be less predominant if he never wore them?
Jak

There seem to be a lot of "myths" out here.;)

I guess I can't understand why, if someone wants to "make fun of Elvis" it means because he wore a jumpsuit. They would just wear whatever he was famous for wearing on stage, IMO. Elvis wore "other clothes" off stage .....the ever popular DEA sweats, for one thing.
I liked him in white with a good tan.....:)

ajr
06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Would the ETA's even exist if Elvis never wore a jumpsuit?Would the weekly desecration of Elvis image being perpetrated in small bars across the country be less predominant if he never wore them?
Jak

Because EP was such a strong influence on our society ....he would be "imitated" , no matter what he wore, IMO. So, yes.....there would be ETA's wearing whatever Elvis wore whenever he performed on stage....

It appears that you might just be angry at the "bad imitators" & I can't blame you for that. No one can replace Elvis .....he was one of a kind. That's why I'm never happy with the actors they get to "play Elvis".
No one can live up to the image we have of him.
I enjoyed the movie ,"I Walk The Line" and the actors didn't bother me that "played Johnny & June ".....Just as I can't explain "what Elvis had", neither can I explain just why I've never liked any actor that tried to portray him......except; "It just wasn't Elvis ".....

I think the world might have to wait until the fans that "knew him" are all dead & gone before they even try a movie about his life . ;)

jak
06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I know many bad imitators personally.Im not angry at them.They are some very nice guys,I like them as individuals.I just hate seeing Elvis portrayed as a buffoon.I do think the jumpsuits are a focal point for the impersonator's.Elvis had his biggest cultural impact in the 50's.However the number of guys portraying him in that era is tiny in comparison.It's because the jumpsuit gets you halfway home so to speak.Some time ago we saw a guy perform here in a spiderman halloween costume that was altered to be a jumpsuit.Obviously it was an abomination.Some were wooping it up to encourage it.This guy was performing for real,it wasnt a joke to him.Many more people just walked by laughing.Some of you may not realize it but this does create a stigma with the general public.They honestly dont know how great Elvis was in the 70's.Imitator's just propagate the has been vegas lounge singer image.To a point I believe Elvis was his own worst enemy so many times in his career.The jumpsuits went from a spectacular display to another tired formula.The reason the young person asked this question originally is because Elvis' 70's image is poor with the general public.What we may see as thrilling,others see as cartoonish or ridiculous.
Jak

jak
06-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I enjoyed the movie ,"I Walk The Line

I know it's off topic but I wanted to touch on this comment.I too liked this movie.Yet we get Elvis offering pills to Johnny which never happened.We also get Elvis offering his cheese fries or whatever to him.Even in a major film like that we have to get the stereotypical image of Elvis portrayed.People laughed in the theatre when Elvis offered the food in the scene.That is the problem.Those scenes were pure fiction yet they show how so many people think Elvis was.
Jak

ajr
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I enjoyed the movie ,"I Walk The Line

I know it's off topic but I wanted to touch on this comment.I too liked this movie.Yet we get Elvis offering pills to Johnny which never happened.We also get Elvis offering his cheese fries or whatever to him.Even in a major film like that we have to get the stereotypical image of Elvis portrayed.People laughed in the theatre when Elvis offered the food in the scene.That is the problem.Those scenes were pure fiction yet they show how so many people think Elvis was.
Jak

I want to answer this as I might be beginning to understand what you're saying ......;)
I saw that in this movie......maybe it's just my age, but I ignored it. This dissing of EP has went on so many years, I tend to do that, ignore it.
Unless someone "gets in my face "about it.......Then I get mad.
Anyone in my family knows better than to diss Elvis!! But, they all like him too......just not as outspoken about it as I am. ;)
Any person I meet & we get to talking about Elvis, has never talked bad about him......seriously . It's always about his music. They all love it!!
I volunteered at the hospital & another volunteer copied all Elvis' CD's & brought them to me......I was amazed !! It's just strange that you feel that way to me because the people I meet {if i bring him up} has nothing but good to say about him. His music, of course.....then they talk about his kindness to others.......Is it the younger ones, you think??
If so, we need to give them an education !! :) ;) My daughters are in their 30's though.....so I don't know.Also grandchildren from 10 years -1 year . Lilo & Stich was a good movie for the young ones. My grandkids recognized Elvis' voice right away...... Maybe just need new/different friends .;)
All I can say is: If you're an Elvis fan ;it's just something you put up with .
Correct their opinions when you can ......otherwise ; ignore them

To make this legal....I know nothing about the jumpsuits.;) :)
I depend on others to tell me.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
When he might wear a pair of white slacks and a nice shirt he looked incredible in it.Just as impressive as a jumpsuit to me.Would the ETA's even exist if Elvis never wore a jumpsuit?Would the weekly desecration of Elvis image being perpetrated in small bars across the country be less predominant if he never wore them?
Jak

Two great quotes here, the two piece white pants and paisley shirts etc are very flattering in 1972 not sure they were something that would have suited him in 1977 with the jacket yes.

As for, would ETA exist if Elvis never wore the Jumpsuit? Great question..... If Elvis had changed direction in 1974 and gone with the two piece suit and perhaps gone with the tux perhaps the ETA would not be a laughing stock, the tux is a more timeless item of clothing unfortunately the jumpsuit whether we like it or not has not aged as well which makes even the most compelling ETA look odd.

Couple of photo's to kind of pose the question of how Elvis would have looked if he had changed?

ajr
06-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Both you guys need to go watch/hear Elvis Priestly. ;)
He just made me smile & sing along with him.
He looked & sounded very, very good.
Check out his jumpsuit too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbOQinek_g
I showed my daughter & she wanted to know where he is....she's his age .:)

ajr
06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Couple of photo's to kind of pose the question of how Elvis would have looked if he had changed?

Oh dear....can I say I don't like the looks of him in these clothes?? :blush: :supriced:
He looks more like Englebert Humperdink.

jak
06-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Oh dear....can I say I don't like the looks of him in these clothes?? :blush: :supriced:
He looks more like Englebert Humperdink.

The photo on the left is an actual Elvis photo.The face has just been replaced with a shot that was from 77 if Im not mistaken.That two piece suit was worn fairly often in 75.There is amazingly clear video of him wearing it.
Jak

Diane
06-03-2007, 12:39 AM
I liked the white suits with the paisley shirts he wore in '74? and they may have been something he could have worn in black and dark blue after he dropped the jumpsuits does anyone think?

I don't like the "flying suits" much, they aren't very slimming and I don't like the collars. The picture Matt that you put his face on a tuxedo doesn't look like an "Elvis" style at all to me - he always looked best in something with more flair. I agree with ajr, makes him look like Englebert.

Diane

ajr
06-03-2007, 01:41 AM
I can't say I ever liked those capes. :blink:
But, it was Elvis after he took the darn thing off ....
Never liked the darker colors on him either. White made him look good !!
I even liked that fringe thing he wore.
He just looked good...until he didn't. :'(
Someplace while ago I read that the doctor was called in '77 because he felt so bad. {he was on tour} He was advised to go to the hospital because he was filling up with fluid & his kidneys weren't functioning .
That doctors advice was ignored....he did his show. There's got to be a reason men are so hard headed .:hmm:

Anway, put some white pants on Elvis with a paisley shirt, JJ. I think we might go for that . :D He just wasn't a tux man....though he DID look good in that one with Sinatra.
Thank ya kindly.

TCBnAflash
06-03-2007, 06:10 AM
I think the cape was the ultimate completion to the image Elvis loved so much in childhood,Captian Marvel. I read he that stopped wearing them cause the crowd would grab it.
the jumpsuits was an image that Elvis was content with. It represented his love for karate and throw in other hints of what he was into. I think people don't realize how long Elvis did stay thin. If the camera adds 10lbs, could you imagine if youre wearing white? That's a no no for people with weight issues.

And don't you think that Elvis did try to lose the jumpsuits when he was wearing the two peice suits on stage? I don't know about how everyone else feels about them but They just weren't as cool as the jumpsuits.

srj1967
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Spot the difference ...

"Good evenin', ladiesangennelmen, my name is Wayne Newton ..."

If Elvis had never worn jumpsuits, there'd still be impersonators today. But they wouldn't be nearly as prolific nor so generally awful.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Spot the difference ...

"Good evenin', ladiesangennelmen, my name is Wayne Newton ..."

If Elvis had never worn jumpsuits, there'd still be impersonators today. But they wouldn't be nearly as prolific nor so generally awful.

Agreed, It wouldn't seem as bad if there were hundreds of ETA's wearing a tux

ajr
06-03-2007, 12:59 PM
I think people don't realize how long Elvis did stay thin.

They just weren't as cool as the jumpsuits.

Some people would rather remember his last couple of years, it seems.
IF anyone cares to look ; they'd find the health problems he was being treated for causes fluid retention. IMO, Elvis was never fat, but was retaining fluid quite dangerously.
I have worked with people that came into the hospital because of fluid build-up. They had to be in the hospital to "get rid of it."
I've seen them lose as much as 35 lbs. in two days. But, the blood tests have to be done daily to watch the different levels or else they can have a heart attack. I worked the cardiac division. Elvis didn't gain weight "all-over".

I do agree that nothing was as cool as the jumpsuits. ;) :)

TCBnAflash
06-03-2007, 05:47 PM
That just looks really bad, Elvis wearing a plain ol tux...he hated it on the steve allen show when he was only 21. He had fun making some of them movies but overall that cleaned up image just never suited him. Marty Lacker once told me that, It seemed like the cleaner his image got, the wilder he got behind closed doors.

buttonhead
06-03-2007, 07:37 PM
No I dont think so.. I think that plenty of his jumpsuit really made him stood out there and unique compare to the rest of singer back then even today..plus most of them looks so darn expensive and they were.

4THEHEART
06-03-2007, 08:30 PM
what is a good image then ?? a t-shirt and dirty jeans like million others??or that boring, ordinary Newton or Sinatra suits?? BS..his j-suits were the most creative and great looking stage outfit I've ever seen and he looked stunning in them..besides he had respect for his audience and he gave his best with his voice and looks both..

KPM
06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Good or bad they are part of the image and we can't change that he wore them. I always thought some of his "off stage" wardrobe should have been worn onstage.( I know he did wear a few things both on and off stage) A lot of the offstage stuff was so cool and flashy.
I think the two piece suits and the paisley shirts were nice but probably harder to keep in place (shirt pulling out of pants, pants slipping down) with so much stage action-the jumpsuits were much easier to keep everything where you wanted it to be. So the jumpsuit was more functional for him I think.

TCBnAflash
06-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Elvis started out looking different. In the 60s his image was to be like everyone else, to "blend in". That changed too, I think in Spinout when Marty Lacker started designing his movie costumes. Then the 68 comeback shocked the world. That's Elvis, he loved being spontanious like that, after that the 69 vegas appearance introduced the 2 peice karate image. That's what led to the jumpsuits.
I noticed that there is 3 different types of fans out there. The ones that like the 50s and early 60s(clean cut image). The ones that like the ARMY image and the ones that are into the 70s image. It's whatever turns you on.
So I take it that the one that started this post is probably not into the image of Elvis any further than, 1969 maybe 1970.

ajr
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure what people want or expect from EP.
The jumpsuits were his ID.
Are some too embarrassed to "recoginize him "?? Do they not want him to be recognized ?? I guess I don't really understand this topic......
TTWII was full of him in costume ; as was This Is Elvis & all the others.
We cannot change what he wore; nor am I embarrassed by him in any way.
Aggravated, sometimes......but never embarrassed . ;)
He set the high mark for any entertainer; none of which has went further, much less become equal to him.
What more did we want from him??

Leroy
06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
AJR, I think this topic says more about some of the "posters" than about Elvis. It looks like it's just another tool to get their opinion across.

They don't seem to realize that they're talking about something that happened more than 30 years ago. During the seventies I saw performers who were dressed more over the top than Elvis ever was. For instance a group like the Commodores or Instant Funk. They were dressing this way even in the beginning of the eighties so what are we talking about. Performing is not only singing. It is also about showing something. And the fans are much as responsible for Elvis wardrobe as Elvis or his designers were. It's not the minority of fans who are counting but the majority. They were the ones to react in a positive way on every new piece of wardrobe. And the jumpsuits were getting less flashier than before. Instead of large stones, jewels and heavy studding, embroidery was used which made the designs more plain.

Fleetfoot
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Leroy, that makes sense to me. Some of the sights we see these days can make us squirm.

Elvis looked great in almost everything he wore. Maybe the last year image was unfortunate but the man was very ill. Maybe broken-hearted at the end?

TCBnAflash
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
You forgot to mention , KISS. They went far beyound the comic book image than Elvis had ever gone. and I do believe at one point Gene Simmions had a cape..lol

jak
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I think some of us that have been somewhat critical of the jumpsuits are basing it on Elvis' phsyical appearance while wearing them.I dont think anybody can argue that early on he looked spectacular.The jumpsuit may have been in style up until 77.However he no longer looked all that good wearing them during the last year or two.They were no longer flattering.There is no harm in looking back and thinking he might have come up with an alternative to them.
Jak

srj1967
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Or that boring, ordinary Newton or Sinatra suits??

Have to disagree strongly here. Sinatra was made for a tux, and vice versa. Same with Cary Grant (and George Clooney today). Very few men can carry them off well.

Elvis looked good in a tux, but they never quite sat right on him; he needed more ostentation that that.

Fleetfoot
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
A case of gilding the lily?

Elvis actually looked quite striking in a tuxedo IMO. Just check out the photos........especially the one with him and Brenda Lee.

ajr
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
AJR, I think this topic says more about some of the "posters" than about Elvis. It looks like it's just another tool to get their opinion across.

I think you're right, Leroy.
Elvis has never been an embarrassement to me .....ever !!

I thought he looked good in the jumpsuits. I agree the "big belts" around the middle drew attention to his stomach....and I was trying to figure out a jumpsuit design that would lessen that. A long straight , uninterrupted line to the eyes is more slimming. Maybe you can "create one" .:hmm:

All in all though.....I just accepted him as getting older & sicker ...as we all will sooner or later .
To be judged from the "outward appearance" is definitly not my idea of love.
:'( He never lost that incredible voice .

KPM
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Have to disagree strongly here. Sinatra was made for a tux, and vice versa. Same with Cary Grant (and George Clooney today). Very few men can carry them off well.

Elvis looked good in a tux, but they never quite sat right on him; he needed more ostentation that that.
Dean Martin is another who looked great in a tux but actually looked out of place when he did'nt wear a one.
I agree Elvis never quite looked comfortable in a tux- but did look good.
If you notice his tux when he got the "10 Best Young Men" award it was high collared and customed to Elvis's fashion sense.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM

They don't seem to realize that they're talking about something that happened more than 30 years ago. During the seventies I saw performers who were dressed more over the top than Elvis ever was. For instance a group like the Commodores or Instant Funk. They were dressing this way even in the beginning of the eighties so what are we talking about. Performing is not only singing. It is also about showing something. And the fans are much as responsible for Elvis wardrobe as Elvis or his designers were. It's not the minority of fans who are counting but the majority. They were the ones to react in a positive way on every new piece of wardrobe. And the jumpsuits were getting less flashier than before. Instead of large stones, jewels and heavy studding, embroidery was used which made the designs more plain.

There are some complete nutters who far exceed whatever Elvis did in terms of a stage persona.

Diane
06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Ugh Matt, there were some "uglies" out there weren't there? - and still are. They are not in the same league with Elvis and his jumpsuits at all.

The only complaint I had with the photo you made up of Elvis in the tux is that his face was too heavy in the picture you chose and it gave him that "no neck" look and made him look older than he was - more so I thought than when he wore the Sundial suit. Open necked without the tie would have looked better but then that would defeat the purpose of wearing a tux wouldn't it? He did look great in them in his younger years but they still didn't give him that special Elvis look that he created in his own choice of wardrobe.

I believe that whoever wanted to ridicule him would use a tux or jeans and t-shirt, whatever he wore to do it. The jumpsuits stood out more and were a better target that's all.

Diane

Merry
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
what is a good image then ?? a t-shirt and dirty jeans like million others??or that boring, ordinary Newton or Sinatra suits?? BS..his j-suits were the most creative and great looking stage outfit I've ever seen and he looked stunning in them..besides he had respect for his audience and he gave his best with his voice and looks both..

Well said.

I don't know if some fans realise how much Elvis loved them, how he was concerned about what his beloved fans thought, how all he ever wanted to do, was to make his fans happy. To give all of you the best performance he could, to look as good as he could, to please you.

Who else was so dedicated to their fans? Elvis loved all of you.

Jess

KPM
06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
There are some complete nutters who far exceed whatever Elvis did in terms of a stage persona.
Also lets not forget the way way over the top Elton John of the 70s. He is talented but he was the 70s "modern Liberace"

Rhinestone
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I loved Elvis in his jumpsuits, right 'til the end. Bottom line: It was never in God's plan for anyone other than Elvis to wear jumpsuits. It was Elvis' persona and charisma that made the jumpsuit...and it was spectacular.

srj1967
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
It was never in God's plan for anyone other than Elvis to wear jumpsuits.

Oh, puh-lease ... !

ajr
06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I loved Elvis in his jumpsuits, right 'til the end. Bottom line: It was never in God's plan for anyone other than Elvis to wear jumpsuits. It was Elvis' persona and charisma that made the jumpsuit...and it was spectacular.

I've heard many say.....the jumpsuits on hangers were "just costumes"
When Elvis put them on; they "lit up" & became "something more."
Who can say, since no one else looks quite so good in them??;)

EnigmaticSun
06-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh man, those were the 70's. All in all, image is a burden and Elvis knew it and admitted it.

Miss Clawdy
06-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Talking about Jumpsuits and image....
I found this, it tells what remains of Elvis, unfortunatelly it is in french,
so for those who know french, maybe someone wants to translate....;)

Que reste-t-il d'Elvis?

Avec plus de 1 milliard de disques vendus, Elvis est consid?r? comme l?artiste du si?cle. Connaissez-vous vraiment l?inventeur du rock ?
Trente ans apr?s sa disparition, que reste-t-il d?Elvis ? Love me tender, Don?t be cruel, Heartbreak Hotel, des standards absolus. Mais, boud? par les radios ? qui lui pr?f?rent ****Beatles, Stones et autres rockers sixties ?, le King est en exil. M?me son image s?est banalis?e. Elvis est devenu une ic?ne populaire, un personnage dont on vend la panoplie, comme Mickey ou Superman. Il n?incarne plus aux yeux des plus jeunes qu?une certaine d?mesure, un r?ve am?ricain aux couleurs trop vives, fa?on Las Vegas. Quel sort injuste pour ce voleur de feu, ce Prom?th?e de la musique moderne sans lequel rien ne serait arriv?. Que de m?connaissance aussi autour de ce gar?on de 20 ans beau comme un dieu, qui a ?t? le plus grand rebelle de son pays, l??picentre d?un s?isme qui culminera dix ans plus tard avec les hippies, le ? flower power ? et la lib?ration sexuelle. Et que dire de l?artiste, auteur involontaire du big bang originel ? Un choc qui ?branla toute une g?n?ration, sans lequel on ne peut comprendre la trajectoire d?un Dylan, d?un Lennon ou m?me d?un Springsteen. Elvis fut ce miracle, cette apparition qui, ? la faveur d?une chanson, bouscula leur destin, leur donna envie de sortir du rang, de manger le monde. C?est cet homme-l?, jeune, beau et solaire, qu?il faut d?urgence (re)d?couvrir dans le hors-s?rie T?l?rama, Elvis dans la peau. Ce gamin incroyable qui, d?un coup de hanche insolent, fit chavirer son temps et enregistra des chansons dont la modernit? ?tonne encore.

St?phane Jarno

Telerama.fr - 5 Juin 2007

goodelvisgirl
06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
only elvis could pull those off and make them look great they helped the stage persona of elvis you had to have a great phesique to wear them although when elvis gained weight he still looked great unfortunatley i'm not so forgiving of the impersonators the elvis style and charisma pulled them off they weren't just a fashon statement but helped elvis move better on stage they are his trademark and i love him for them