PDA

View Full Version : Lack of coverage for the 30th Anniversary?

EP75
05-27-2007, 05:37 PM
For this to be the "BIG" 30th anniversary of EP's death, there sure is a lack of media coverage or even big projects going on this year. It's almost June and very little has been mentioned about what is and isn't coming out. Usually we would know during January for what was coming out that year. I have seen way more excitement and announcements in the EP world in past years that didn't have the big anniversary to build excitement around. This year-very little if any excitement at all.

I am sadly afraid that 2007 will be a major disappointment for us fans and that we won't get anything new or special on the mainstream level like a newly revamped Elvis On Tour or a new reworked remix album by RCA. This was the perfect timing and all of them, from EPE, RCA and Time Warner blew it as usual. All we are getting is the same ole stuff as before. Elvis Movie songs. Elvis hits. Elvis In Vegas, again. And Elvis movies on DVD. Nothing new. Nothing exciting. And nothing creative. Just the same crummy crap that they put out every other year. As fans of the greatest entertainer of all time, this is depressing and sad. EP should be shown on MTV or at least VH1 and instead EPE gets him on the old show channel TVLand which isn't relevant in any way to today's society. I don't think Jack Soden or anyone at EPE knows what the word "relevant" even means. Because from what he and his old timers staff has done with EP is nowhere near relevance to what is popular to today's youth.

Even the EP world online is quiet lately. The 30 #1 Hits Forum is so quiet and dead except for Maurice and his love affair with Beethoven. FECC is it's old self which isn't saying too much. And this forum is running out of topics due to lack of media coverage and publicity to talk about. Poor EP. For what all he gave, he deserves much more than this.(n)

maxiefields
05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Although alot of negitave things have been said against the Colonel,he certaintly would not had let this opportunity pass bye

ajr
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
I think there is "big happenings" going on .
We'll have to wait & see I guess. ;)

Awickedreigndrop
05-28-2007, 04:43 AM
There's not nearly as much going on for the 30th anniversity as there were during the 25th anniversity. In 2002, I seen a lot of Elvis magazines, new books music, and every once in a while they showed the 68 Comeback Special. To me this anniversity, they're not doing as much. I wonder why:hmm:

jak
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
The 25th was the "big one".The 30th just isnt that special no matter what anybody says.There isnt anything major to use to promote it.For the 25th you had the JXL single.Elvis was truly everywhere that year.It was amazing how everything came together that year.This year just seems somewhat bland.The most interesting item coming out is the Tupelo's Own and it has nothing to do with EPE.Keep in mind you are talking about 30 years going by.It's only natural that things quiet down.Just the effects of time.After this year you will really see a change in Elvis week in the upcoming years.We keep losing the original fans.Many whom have gone to Elvis week every year since the start.
Jak

Elvis_Priestly
05-28-2007, 12:54 PM
25th Anniverasry is always ggoing to be bigger than 30th as it fits the cultural expectations for a "silver anniversary." Back then there was the great coincidence of the World Cup with Nike's JXL mix backing music. Non-Elvis fans heard it first there and loved it and boosted our guys image that year. I think EPE have split the flock with FTD the real fans are tended to while the rest are given the same old thing over and over in an attempt to hook new fans and, of course, get the big bucks.
BBC Radio 2 is already advertising its "60's Summer" with feature documentaries on the first modern music festival, Sgt Pepper album AND the '68 Comeback Special. Which I think is cool because its tying Elvis into that extraordinary decade of popular culture.
I do think in the UK though Elvis's 30th will be swamped by Diana's 10th. Just like Humphrey Bogart's 30th Anniversary was swamped in 1987 by Elvis's 10th.

EP75
05-28-2007, 03:16 PM
The 30th should and could have been the biggest yet. That's a bigger milestone than a 25th anniversary. Michael Jackson did his 30th anniversary show to mark 30 years since his career began as a solo artist. Not the 25th. My point is that this year should have been the grand kahuna for EP. There should have been these 4 main projects that would have brought in new fans and changed the image of EP once and for all.

1)A Remix or Reworked Album of today's sounds. New single for Top 40 radio (not a dance remix).
2)A major tv special with today's artist crediting EP as the original American Idol and King. Similar to Elvis Lives in 2002.
3)A deluxe edition of Elvis On Tour with the complete unseen Richmond concert included.
4)Something of EP related on MTV. Anything!

This would have brought in many many more new fans and brought a new birth of excitement to the man, the music, and the legacy that was and still is ELVIS! These new CDs due out later this year will NOT appeal to a younger audience at all. RCA is using this "we are trying to introduce EP to a newer generation and get them hooked on him" to only make more money off of the original fans who will buy anything they put out, and they still do. So RCA takes advantage of that. In other words-RCA does not care what kids and young adults today think about EP. All they care about is making what little money they can off of his back catalog from the older fans who are dying off each and every day now or getting to old to even buy cds anymore.

Some of us young'uns are all that's left to save it and keep it going for hope that a newer generation will catch on and understand that EP was more than Hound Dog, Sullivan, corny movies, 68 Comeback and Aloha and know that he did over a thousand songs in his life. Many of which are still unknown to the general public because RCA only packages the hits and throwaways, hence the new movie CD which features the lacklusters and not the stellar performances.

Albert
05-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I must say that I'm also quite dissapointed so far. It doesn't feel like something big is coming, although August is not so far away from now.

From what I know neither BMG/EMI or the moviecompanies are planning anything big. Yes sure, we have some re-releases. But most the re-released movies have been re-released for many, many times (and aren't considered as his best or most entertaining movies). Where are the HD-versions? WHere are the outtakes? Where are the DTS-versions?

Let me get this straight: THis Is Elvis has been made a few years after Elvis' death. By that time very little rare-material was available and the knowledge of Elvis, the man behind the image, was so much less than nowadays. So just releasing This Is Elvis on dvd, without really changing anything is just a poor attempt to make money.

Why hasn't there been a duets-album by now? Or an easy-jazz (Elvis with a big band) album? Or a compilation that truely (and FINALLY) show musiclovers that Elvis was more than Blue Suede Shoes, DOn't Be Cruel and jumpsuits.

jak
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
25th Anniverasry is always ggoing to be bigger than 30th as it fits the cultural expectations for a "silver anniversary."

You have the key factor here.No way the 30th could match the 25th no matter what they released.Even if we got our deluxe On Tour dvd boxset with tons of rare footage it wouldnt matter.Only hardcore fans care about that stuff.The 25th captured the imagination of the general public to a certain degree.I was at Graceland for it and you had to be there to appreciate the scope of it all.I've been at Elvis week for every major 5 year anniverssary.The 5th,10th,15th,20th and 25th and many other times.The 25th absolutely dwarfed them all.It was an incredible time for us in Memphis.I'll be there this august just like always.I just dont expect anything spectacular.
Jak

franny
05-29-2007, 01:01 AM
I think the only thing that seems to be coming is a lot more books from the MM, or from a friend of a friend of Elvis'...:lol:

I hope something special is planned for 30th Anniversay!

franny

thehillbillycat
05-29-2007, 02:41 AM
People say there is a lack of coverage for the 30th Anniversary. Hmm, I see coverage of the 30th Anniversary just about everyday on TV. Since it is coming friday the 30th Anniversary of Elvis doing his last concert in Macon there is a concert that will happen with a local performer singing the same songs that Elvis sung on that night. I see on the local TV that they even showed a commerical that the TV station made for the 30th Anniversary concert and Midnight In Vegas. Next, I see on other channels doing the same thing.

As for Elvis On Tour being release, PLEASE REMEMBER, EPE doesn't owned this movie or any other his movies. So they can't release it. Only MGM can. As for the complete Richmond Concert included with a deluxe edition. Again, it will cost alot of money to try to find the footage, restore it and release it. This comes from Elvis.com on Outtakes of Elvis movies that I put up on here so people can understand it more. I even took the time to highlight the major parts of the answer from elvis.com

Will there ever be a video/DVD release of out-takes from Elvis' movies?

We don't know. We certainly hope so. But, ultimately, it's not up to Graceland/EPE.

We do not own Elvis' movies and do not decide what is released from them. The various movie companies do. We have always liked the idea of a collection of Elvis movie out-takes being released or a collection of his best musical performances in movies. Whichever movie company or companies wanted to do something like that with their Elvis footage would need our approval to do a new project beyond the parameters of their original contract with Elvis. They would get our full cooperation and we have certainly made the suggestion when we've had the opportunity. It would be wonderful for the fans and wonderful new attention for Elvis' film career. However, while Elvis is our number one priority and he is his fans' number one priority, that's not necessarily the case with the film companies. They have hundreds of different films in their catalogs to deal with.

The out-take footage you hope to see might not even exist. Years ago, before Hollywood became as archival and preservation-oriented as it is now, it was common for footage left over after a film's final edit to be thrown away. Part of the reason was the high cost of film storage space. To do the research and digging to find out what Elvis movie out-takes might exist from decades ago would require a huge commitment of time, effort and financing. The film companies would have to be confident that they could recoup their investment through sales. They would most likely feel that a film like this would be of interest mostly to serious Elvis fans and not mass amounts of the general public. Also, there's the possibility that all the time, effort and financing to do the research would be spent only to find that there was little or no existing footage to work with. Of course, there are many other reasons that the film companies do or don't do something. This is just our effort to offer some insight into some of them. Also to help clarify that Graceland/EPE is not the reason this material, if it exists, isn't in release.

So please that carefully and take note of it. It is not EPE fault at all nor is MGM. MGM is just being careful so they won't lose money. Only such a project of outtakes would only go for the serious fans and not general public.

jak
05-29-2007, 08:54 AM
The example of EOT was mentioned just because this would be the most logical time to release it.If it ever is going to be released that is.It has nothing to do with EPE.An anniverssary year such as this just makes it easier to market an Elvis product.I havent seen or heard anything about the 30th anniverssary other than a comercial once on tv land promoting their Elvis lineup this august.
Jak

05-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Yes missed opportunities.

Don't forget EPE would prefer that the 25th is bigger than the 30th as it lines their pockets!

In fairness to EPE there are 2 shows in Memphis this year. The new jumpsuit expo and an Elvis insiders conference with Priscilla.

It's Sony BMG and Warner who should really have made more of an effort.

No doubt about it though - Diana's 10th is going to be big. C4 are airing a programme about her death shortly, it's recieving a lot of bad press due to the fact that it will show a picture of her in the car with an oxygen mask directly following the crash.

Whatever people say about C4 - the channel delivers content on all fronts and is the home of Big Brother in UK.

ajr
05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I see a lot of things being planned for EW ,the 30th Anniversary.
Maybe it's different things we're looking for. ;)

Many books, movies ,some music & of course ....all things going on in Memphis ......More than I'll have time to get to.

jak
05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Obviously there will be many events in Memphis that week.There just doesnt appear to be anything "special" that might catch the attention of the general public.I said earlier I think the Tupelo's Own book and dvd is the one to get but youre not going to hear anything about it.As 03' stated EPE has done their part for the fans who will be in Memphis.I just think many fans were hoping for something on a larger scale that might have resulted in some fanfare and publicity or just something unique for the fans.The dvd boxsets coming out are nice and I've already ordered them but most people hoped for more.
Jak

ajr
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Of course, you're right, jak.

I mainly look to the books & music. Too hot in Memphis to take in all that other stuff, for me.....I like to go to Memphis either early spring or late fall.
A lot less crowded and Cheaper too. ;)

maxiefields
05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I am excited about Tupelos Own http://www.keithflynn.com/video/mrs-03-promo.wmv !

KPM
05-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Ernst Jorgenson said a few years ago that remixes- done correctly- cost about a million dollars to get done. Promoting the remixes is costly and lets face it it boils down to how much money they will make. The ALLC remix was done outside of EPE and BMG and it was "unexpected" that it did so well by them. But ALLC was featured in "Oceans 11" and then used to promote the the "World Cup". ALLC did well, but has not been certified Gold. It did much to promote the 30 #1s cd.
Same with the EOTdeluxe edition. The TTWII special 2001 edition did not sell as well as Warner Brothers wanted. Now they did very little to sell it other than a few things with TNT movie channel-but they spent about a million I understand to put the new version together. They just feel they did not sell enough. Its a catch 22, to get better sales you have to expand the fan base into a younger audience. But to expand the the base you have to create new product and promote it to sell it. They do not seem to want to spend what it takes.

So we may want a lot of things but until the money end gets better on cost vs. profit they are not going to do them. SAD(n)

EP75
05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Ernst Jorgenson said a few years ago that remixes- done correctly- cost about a million dollars to get done. Promoting the remixes is costly and lets face it it boils down to how much money they will make. The ALLC remix was done outside of EPE and BMG and it was "unexpected" that it did so well by them. But ALLC was featured in "Oceans 11" and then used to promote the the "World Cup". ALLC did well, but has not been certified Gold. It did much to promote the 30 #1s cd.
Same with the EOTdeluxe edition. The TTWII special 2001 edition did not sell as well as Warner Brothers wanted. Now they did very little to sell it other than a few things with TNT movie channel-but they spent about a million I understand to put the new version together. They just feel they did not sell enough. Its a catch 22, to get better sales you have to expand the fan base into a younger audience. But to expand the the base you have to create new product and promote it to sell it. They do not seem to want to spend what it takes.

So we may want a lot of things but until the money end gets better on cost vs. profit they are not going to do them. SAD(n)

I don't buy what Ernst is spitting. No remix cost a million dollars. There's several real good and decent remixes floatong around the internet. I don't think those mixers are asking for that much in profit. That is insane to even believe. He's totally against any remixes and it is known. So he'll say anything to scare away the idea of a remix album in order to produce another Movie Hits album.(n) In the mean time while he is planning his next FTD release that has zero relevance to the modern day music world, EP slowly dwindles into oblivious.:mad:

KPM
05-30-2007, 02:07 AM
The ALLC remix did not cost that much but it was done outside of BMG and then accepted by them for a price when they saw it was making waves. I imagine Jorgenson is alluding to total cost of studio time, producers, musicians, and then finally the promotion to sell the song-if BMG actually were the ones to do the remixing. The ones floating around on the internet are hit and miss-some pretty good-others terrible.
ALLC was unique it had an almost rap feel to it because of the meter and beat. Rubberneckin also had that rap sound and beat-more talked than sung.
I still am hoping for a DUETS album to help introduce Elvis to younger audiences. Let Dave Mathews pick a song or 2 by Elvis and then let him duet and remix the duet. Bono & U2, Springstein, McCartney, and so on till you get about 14 songs-all by different big names(young and older) and produced and remixed by them. I think it would give Elvis a big jump into the younger crowd-the ones who really have little knowledge of him and his talent. A lot of people are against remixes and a duets type cd, but I'm all for it. Anything which opens his talent to new generations.

TCBnAflash
05-30-2007, 02:48 AM
this is all a new toy to these rich people. Elvis is just something for them to brag about owning. They don't want to invest in remastering a lot of the recordings. Think about it, the two biggest DVD's they have released where, the new, That's the way it is, re-edited and Elvis Lives Concert. before that was, The Lost Performances in the early 90s.

TCBnAflash
05-30-2007, 02:53 AM
oops..i sent it by mistake, i wasn't finished. The FTD CD's are awesome but in my opinion they are holding back on the remixing. The recording levels are way too low and they could a lot more these days with remixing the music.

King_Creole
06-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Boy, this EP75 whining about remixes and such sure sounds familar ...

Jay1972 anyone ??? LMAO ... :)

Fleetfoot
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news;_ylt=A0WTTktbA2RGBoUBJg_QtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBhNj RqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=elvis+presley&c=&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&x=wrt

There is a growing amount of publicity for the 30th Anniversary. Check out the link.

rocknroll
06-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Boy, this EP75 whining about remixes and such sure sounds familar ...

Jay1972 anyone ??? LMAO ... :)

It's the end of the world.(n)