PDA

View Full Version : Sonny West releasing new DVD...

franny
05-21-2007, 01:13 AM
This was on EIN...

franny

Sonny West also releasing DVD: Sonny West, who co-wrote 'Elvis - What Happened' and, the upcoming memoir, 'Elvis Still Taking Care of Business', will release a DVD entitled "ELVIS: Up Close & Personal With Sonny West" according to www.sonnywest.com. And as we reported on 14 May, West has also agreed to promote his book with the help of "Big Elvis", a 550 pounds heavy Las Vegas impersonator.
http://www.sonnywest.com/

T_J
05-21-2007, 04:04 AM
"West has also agreed to promote his book with the help of "Big Elvis", a 550 pounds heavy Las Vegas impersonator."

If that is true, West is a ****ing loser.

rickeap
05-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Not a good sign Sonny

JDD
05-21-2007, 04:21 AM
That last part just cost old Sonny a sale. I was just getting ready to order that book this week on Amazon. I know it Won't stop him , but it won't be my money he's getting .

ajr
05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess he doesn't need my money, but I was going to try & read it.
Not now !! Big mistake ,Sonny. In more ways than one.:'(

pacer 1966
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah he's blew it as far as I'm concerened.....promoting his book with this fat impersonator,is an insult to Elvis' memory and to the fans whom he expects to buy the book.
Shame on him.....

srj1967
05-21-2007, 01:08 PM
What difference does it make that Sonny is using a larger EP impersonator to promote his book?

The same people who complain about this seem to be okay with impersonators in general.

And this "Big Elvis" seems to have a good reputation in that part of the Elvis world.

ajr
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
What difference does it make that Sonny is using a larger EP impersonator to promote his book?

The same people who complain about this seem to be okay with impersonators in general.

And this "Big Elvis" seems to have a good reputation in that part of the Elvis world.

It doesn't really matter to me. Just that many were involved in the parody & promotion of a "fat Elvis " & making fun of him. But, I wasn't going to "buy" his book anyway......;) So, I'm sure he could care less.
Likewise with Esposito. Not friends that I can see.

toffe
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Hmm... :hmm:

JDD
05-21-2007, 10:28 PM

I can only talk for me not the others that seem to be okay..
Thanks to stuff like this there is a whole generation now that actually thinks Elvis was "350 lbs wearing spandex talking baby talk and eatting Nanner samwhiches" (which is an actual quote I've heard more times then I can count) . Its turned him into a punchline, It all seems to be Mockery to me.

I won't be telling anyone else not to buy the book, but it cost him a sale to me. I guess I'm just not amused.

Evi
05-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I can only talk for me not the others that seem to be okay..
Thanks to stuff like this there is a whole generation now that actually thinks Elvis was "350 lbs wearing spandex talking baby talk and eatting Nanner samwhiches" (which is an actual quote I've heard more times then I can count) . Its turned him into a punchline, It all seems to be Mockery to me.

I won't be telling anyone else not to buy the book, but it cost him a sale to me. I guess I'm just not amused.

you are right :( Unfortunately my generations (I am 14) think of Elvis as an fat and old drug addict :(:(:( The fact that one of his friends (for who Elvis was always there to help) is hiring a 550 pounds impersonator to promote the book is insulting :angry: as he is contributing more for the younger generations to think he really was like that :( :( :(

franny
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
you are right :( Unfortunately my generations (I am 14) think of Elvis as an fat and old drug addict :(:(:( The fact that one of his friends (for who Elvis was always there to help) is hiring a 550 pounds impersonator to promote the book is insulting :angry: as he is contributing more for the younger generations to think he really was like that :( :( :(

You're right! This is how the new generation see Elvis, not everyone, but if this is what they read and hear...and, I don't understand why he's hiring an impersonator to begin with, does he think so little of his new book?

franny

Evi
05-22-2007, 01:19 AM
You're right! This is how the new generation see Elvis, not everyone, but if this is what they read and hear...and, I don't understand why he's hiring an impersonator to begin with, does he think so little of his new book?

franny

I guess he is interested just in the cash-in not how he is portraying Elvis :(

TCBnAflash
05-22-2007, 03:24 AM
What kind of PR people would think that is a good way to promote a book/DVD?

srj1967
05-22-2007, 04:46 AM
I've been in touch with Sonny's promoter (and no ... this is not to "blow my own horn" before anyone writes a sarcastic email, I'm just stating a fact here).

He's in Vegas for a couple of days and will email me when he gets back. I'm arranging for a copy of the book to be sent to me, so I'll ask him (subtly of course) what's the deal with this "Big Elvis" bloke; is it true etc? Will let you all know what transpires ...

ajr
05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
"Sonny West appears with Big Elvis to autograph copies of new book: Sonny West, Elvis Presley?s longtime bodyguard and one of the last remaining members of the ?Memphis Mafia,? will appear with Pete ?Big Elvis? Vallee Friday, May 18, at Bill?s Gamblin? Hall & Saloon and will sign his new book ?Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business.?
Because of Vallee?s admiration and respect for his namesake, devotion to the King?s persona, loyalty to Elvis fans and lifelong career as an Elvis tribute artist, West will be a special guest with Big E during his show in Bill?s Lounge between 3 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. "

Seems a tad "cheesy" , but whatever......

Thanks, srj .Maybe you can get a better answer.
Whatever I say ,it's not going to sound nice .... but maybe you could mention ,tactfully,;) that E's fans don't think it's a good idea.

ajr
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Big E on YouTube ::'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4T2nFMC6Zs

Dorulet
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh.. my... God...:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
It's so bad i can't decide wether to laugh or to cry...

Dovey
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
:lmfao: :lmfao::lmfao: That is disgusting!!! Dovey ;)

JDD
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the clip ajr, now I know I'm doing the right thing passing .
That was terrible.

Dudcowboy_1
05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Shame Shame on Sonny West. He could have at lease used a Desent Elvis Tribute Artist out there like Donny Edwards, Trent Carlini(sp?), or Dean Z. I had no respect for Sonny West after his first book and now I wouldn't even shake the guys hand if I saw him.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

ajr
05-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the clip ajr, now I know I'm doing the right thing passing .
That was terrible.

Well, I feel bad saying anything about how big he is...
I just wanted to see what he looked like & his performance.
In this instance; Elvis' reputation should come first, IMO.
Nothing I've seen says whose idea this was...

Maybe srj can whisper in his promoters ear ????

Burning_Love
05-22-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't want to get into an argument. But personally i like Sonny and he's no fake. He at least tried to help Elvis with that book, not to back stab him. I will not make m,y judgements on the book yet as i have not read it. Thanks :king: xx

srj1967
05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Shame Shame on Sonny West. He could have at lease used a Desent Elvis Tribute Artist out there like Donny Edwards, Trent Carlini(sp?), or Dean Z. I had no respect for Sonny West after his first book and now I wouldn't even shake the guys hand if I saw him.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

Why is he not "decent"? Is it because of his weight? To me, he's no different than the majority of impersonators out there ...

Dudcowboy_1
05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
No he has good voice but after some weight limit he should not wear jumpsuit...

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

srj1967
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
No he has good voice but after some weight limit he should not wear jumpsuit...

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

Why not? There are female Elvises, lesbian Elvises, black Elvises, Indian Elvises, child Elvises ... so what is the difference? Why not a fat-fat-FAT Elvis?

If you exclude him from impersonating Elvis just because of his weight, that is discrimination.

ajr
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Now, sjr ......
I was afraid of something like this starting. Please don't start the "discrimination thing."
I think it's just because we've been subject to all the jokes ,etc. about Elvis being fat. Compared to this guy; he definitly wasn't. ;) I think it's just the "picture" he presents to the public, don't you?? Read some of these young kids posts. A whole generation has come to believe all the ugly things said about EP.....Maybe we could start changing their perceptions ,so they'll see him as we knew him.

I don't like female Elvis', black Elvis' ,gay Elvis' .....etc. etc. and you can believe me; I'm sure not prejudice. Most people that know me think I'm too liberal. :) But, that's ok. Everyone has their own opinions & taste.

Don't you think this "Big E" knows people are laughing at him and/or making fun of him?? I've always said....imitators that do their shows in good taste are ok.....the rest need to stop !!

ajr
05-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't want to get into an argument. But personally i like Sonny and he's no fake. He at least tried to help Elvis with that book, not to back stab him. I will not make m,y judgements on the book yet as i have not read it. Thanks :king: xx

Sorry, I have to disagree about Sonny's motive for that first book.
Maybe you can give us a review after reading this one though. ??
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
You have yours & I have mine.....;)

Geert
05-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Can imagine why this "thing" is a big succes: it's very amusing becouse he's looks so terrible, people come there to see an IMPERSONATOR, not to see Elvis. They problably are even going there to have a good laugh with this crappy performance. The problem is that the few dumb ones who don't know that Elvis really actualy wasn't very heavy (only in his last two years, and even then not this fat), don't says "ahahaa" all the time and rarily wore sunglasses on stage, spread these rumours amongst everybody who doesn't know more about Elvis giving them this crappy image of Elvis. And to be honest it's far more interesting/funny/amusing to hear that someone called Elvis was a overweighted, strange ahaha/tnq-very-much sounds making, hamburgerlover and (the most "exciting" of all perhaps) died on an overdose drugs, instead to hear the sad long story about someone who's famous for his rock 'n roll period, lost his mother, after a few nices ones was obligated to make moneymaking crappy movies, got stuck in a 5 year Vegas contract after a euforian comeback, who's wife left him, an audience who doesn't let hem be te singer he want's to be but just want him to be that rock 'n roll-hero over and over again, who died at his bathroom becouse of a bad helth coused by the insane touring shedules created by his manager who makes more money from him then himself to gamble.

Can't understand Sonny doing this. He was against the lifestile this guy seem to have and Elvis was fallen into back then, thet's were his whole "celeberty-status" has begun with in the first place. he could at least hire a respectfull impersonator. Can't imagine this "Big Elvis" is serious about his act. The name "Big Elvis" says enough for me.

For the rocord: I don't have anything against impersonators, as long as they try to keep Elvis' memory alive and pay tribute in a respectfull way. This Big Elvis-guy know's he's not a good representation of the real King (otherwise he must have a very small brain). It's just enthertainment.
In my opinion people shouldn't sing/perform in front of an audience if they can't. Really dislike the people who don't make the qualifying rounds of programs such as Idols but still keep performing to just entertain. It's just sad. Can't understand the people who actually pay to see or hear it.
It's good if you try to, but when you hear from everybody that in this case your singing sucks stop with it. There are so many other ways you can get famous or make a lot of money. Don't let other people make fun of you, to earn your money unless you're a Clown. Try to keep some selfrespect.

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm saddened that Sonny has taken this route at all? There is a time and a place for tribute artists, those who like to go to the shows are welcome to do so.

Sonny does not need a gimmick, there are plenty of Elvis fans out there who are more than willing to give Sonny a second crack of the whip and read his story 30 years later without the pain and anger he felt with "Elvis What Happened" Unfortunately this "Big Elvis" does very little to give Sonny or his book any credibility! IMO this is being done purely for the money! If that is the case (this is still not 100% confirmed right?) Sonny has lost any credibility he had left.

I have no doubt that this book will be read by the masses purely to see what Sonny has to say :hmm:

ajr
05-23-2007, 12:36 AM
..... Unfortunately this "Big Elvis" does very little to give Sonny or his book any credibility! IMO this is being done purely for the money! If that is the case (this is still not 100% confirmed right?) Sonny has lost any credibility he had left.

That's what I felt when I saw "Big E's" performance.
It just took me right back to when all the jokes started...:'(

How can you take anyone seriously when this is how it's presented??
As far as I know; it's confirmed.

franny
05-23-2007, 01:23 AM

Thanks, for posting this ajr, but it's terrible...(n)....
This clip is one of the reasons people make jokes about Elvis...

I still don't know why he needs "someone" to promote his book?!

franny

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Yeah, Sonny lost a sale with me too. And that guy..... Could there be more of a mockery?

Burning_Love
05-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree about Sonny's motive for that first book.
Maybe you can give us a review after reading this one though. ??
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
You have yours & I have mine.....;)

Hiya. Yes i respect your opinion totally !! When i read that book i will definately give an opinion. I have read soo much Elvis books, some good and some which are total rubbish but i am a good judge on these things (well i think Lol) and i know a good book when i read one.

Jungleroom76
05-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm saddened that Sonny has taken this route at all? There is a time and a place for tribute artists, those who like to go to the shows are welcome to do so.

Sonny does not need a gimmick, there are plenty of Elvis fans out there who are more than willing to give Sonny a second crack of the whip and read his story 30 years later without the pain and anger he felt with "Elvis What Happened" Unfortunately this "Big Elvis" does very little to give Sonny or his book any credibility! IMO this is being done purely for the money! If that is the case (this is still not 100% confirmed right?) Sonny has lost any credibility he had left.

I have no doubt that this book will be read by the masses purely to see what Sonny has to say :hmm:

Well said J.J.!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Merry
05-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Hi,

I believe that the thought process is, is that the Impersonators are keeping Elvis' memory alive. Which is true. Yes, some are bad, however, there are a lot of good ones around (tribute artists).

Furthermore, some are saddened that because Big Elvis is how he is, he is being run down, he has apparently lost a lot of weight, his voice is enjoyed by many, and his personality is a pleasure.

Hope this helps.

Jess

P.S. I am the messenger.

ajr
05-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi,

I believe that the thought process is, is that the Impersonators are keeping Elvis' memory alive. Which is true. Yes, some are bad, however, there are a lot of good ones around (tribute artists).

Furthermore, some are saddened that because Big Elvis is how he is, he is being run down, he has apparently lost a lot of weight, his voice is enjoyed by many, and his personality is a pleasure.

That's why I didn't say anymore than I did. But, on this one ,we disagree.
There are good tribute artistsand bad tribute artists . I've never seen a good impersonator. To me, there is a difference.

Sometimes a picture speaks much louder than words. I never intended to make fun of a "fat person". Many times, there's a medical reason for that & needs to be taken care of for the persons health.
I'd have to say it would have been up to Sonny to use more wisdom in
deciding to push his book at a bar with this guy. I realize you're much more forgiving than I am....{as with Sonny} . I congratulate you.....but, I think I'll always remember . IMO, the MM could have stopped a lot of the "making fun of Elvie" period . They didn't bother ......:'(

Merry
05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
That's why I didn't say anymore than I did. But, on this one ,we disagree.
There are good tribute artistsand bad tribute artists . I've never seen a good impersonator. To me, there is a difference.

Sometimes a picture speaks much louder than words. I never intended to make fun of a "fat person". Many times, there's a medical reason for that & needs to be taken care of for the persons health.
I'd have to say it would have been up to Sonny to use more wisdom in
deciding to push his book at a bar with this guy. I realize you're much more forgiving than I am....{as with Sonny} . I congratulate you.....but, I think I'll always remember . IMO, the MM could have stopped a lot of the "making fun of Elvie" period . They didn't bother ......:'(

Hi AJR,

I'm just repeating what a friend of Sonny's shared, what their thought process is (sorry if I wasn't clear).

I'm protective of Elvis; however, if this is their thought process, I accept that for now, as I don't know enough personally, to form an opinion. Their intentions do seem very genuine. Apparently Sonny admitted he screwed up all those years ago, I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Elvis was forgiving, I like to think the best of people, until proven wrong.

Jess

ajr
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi AJR,

I'm just repeating what a friend of Sonny's shared, what their thought process is (sorry if I wasn't clear).

I'm protective of Elvis; however, if this is their thought process, I accept that for now, as I don't know enough personally, to form an opinion. Their intentions do seem very genuine. Apparently Sonny admitted he screwed up all those years ago, I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Elvis was forgiving, I like to think the best of people, until proven wrong.Jess

You were clear . It's as I said...you're really a much nicer, forgiving person than I am. I have no doubts about any of the MM or their reasons for doing what they do . ;)
Sonny is 30 years too late IMO, but I don't fault you or anyone for giving any of them a chance. "It's just the beast in me ".....;) Once bitten, twice shy...
It's not anything against you .....you have a right to your opinion.
Peace ..:hug:

BTW: I just found out my public library has this book. I WILL read it; but I won't buy it .....

Donut
05-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Read the book 2 weeks ago and liked it. The stories a both good and bad, new ones and others already told. But for those who expect to see remorse from him for writting Elvis what happend i wouldn?t recommend it because the book is not about that at all. He says it lacked positive stories but he doesn?t say the bad ones weren?t real, according to him the problem was the writer was a sensationalist one. So his book is not intended to rewrite history. In my opinion it is balanced and told with honesty (and a little bit of bitterness too... )

Merry
05-25-2007, 02:14 PM
You were clear . It's as I said...you're really a much nicer, forgiving person than I am. I have no doubts about any of the MM or their reasons for doing what they do . ;)
Sonny is 30 years too late IMO, but I don't fault you or anyone for giving any of them a chance. "It's just the beast in me ".....;) Once bitten, twice shy...
It's not anything against you .....you have a right to your opinion.
Peace ..:hug:

BTW: I just found out my public library has this book. I WILL read it; but I won't buy it .....

Dear AJR,

I wouldn't describe me as forgiving in this instance. I'm trying to formulate to share with you, what is in the back of my mind. I am very protective of Elvis, and I hated those men at the time, I truely did. I wasn't very old though, so I went on what I sensed. For me to say that word, (hate) is strong.

I pray that all of this is for healing in Elvis' memory. I pray that one day, Lisa may be able to learn some other facets of Elvis from these men. Perhaps some bridges may be able to be formed, small baby steps. I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to, as I don't know how I would feel in her place. I probably would not be able to feel, I honestly don't know.

I just want her to be happy.

Jess

ajr
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I received this book yesterday......the Intro {11 pages} pretty much repeats the EWH story & his reason for writing it. {that put me in a bad mood at the start :mad: }

The next two chapters tell Sonny's personal history.
After that it weaves different stories about EP and the MM .It's much better "put together" than EWH......but that's all so far.
He does take cracks at Esposito & all the other "friends" including Priscilla.
So, if this is meant as an apology to anyone.....it fails.
I'm about 1/2 through.
IF anyone else has read it....please comment. Not debate or argue ; just comment. :hmm:

Merry
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I received this book yesterday......the Intro {11 pages} pretty much repeats the EWH story & his reason for writing it. {that put me in a bad mood at the start :mad: }

The next two chapters tell Sonny's personal history.
After that it weaves different stories about EP and the MM .It's much better "put together" than EWH......but that's all so far.
I'm about 1/2 through.
IF anyone else has read it....please comment. Not debate or argue ; just comment. :hmm:

Trying to be fair (I haven't read the book) Sonny rang a friend of mine, she disliked Sonny, Red and Dave so much, that when "Elvis: What Happened" was first released, she and her friends went around glueing the pages of the books, which were for sale, together (lol.....I think they are funny.....anyway..)

My friend was chatting to Sonny on the phone a few weeks ago (he rang her as a mutual friend of their's had advised Sonny how much my friend disliked him).

Long story short, after speaking with Sonny, she felt that Sonny had changed a great deal, her entire perception of Sonny, after 30 years, has now done a "180".

I like to think the best of people, doing so, until they prove me wrong. Sonny's Forward (used for advertising) appeared to be a lovely apology to me, remembering too, it is difficult for some to actually express their apologies sufficiently for other's.

I just hope it is all as advertised, (and as expressed to me) as intended. Elvis, in my humble opinion, AJR, probably would have forgiven them, as he is that type of person, that is how I try to think about it.

Jess

memphisbelle
06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I think most people on this site have a sense of protectiveness about Elvis, he's like a member of your family, you might not like or agree with everything they do, but as soon as you think someone is laughing or having a go at them, you come out fighting :angry:

I read EWH a long time ago when I first got into Elvis and I think it's clear it was written in anger to hit back at Elvis and the MM after the firing. I hope after 30 years, all that has left Sonny and he has decided to write something productive and not start another slanging match. I'm definitely intrigued with what's in the book, but I think I'll wait until I've read a few more posts from others who have read it to decide whether I pay money for it :hmm:

Jess, that was a nice story, thanks for telling it (y)

goodelvisgirl
06-06-2007, 12:28 PM
i think sonny west tried to destroy elvis by writing elvis what happened he betrayed elvis and his trust and i believe elvis was deeply hurt and now after his death to try to make money off of what elvis did he only knew him he wasn't actually famous for anything no one cares about sonny his life his storys or his books anything we want to know about elvis we will find a better source i would buy the book if it was from a true friend and the impersonator nothing wrong with an overwait elvis but you dont want to premote a mockery of elvis we should try to help young peoples oppinions of elvis not encourage the bad ones this is just my opinion you are welcome to dissagree

ajr
06-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Sonny gives his opinion on Lisa:

"For her to claim with a pointedly raised eyebrow that she "watched it all " is a joke.
Her own track record since her father's death is nothing to brag about. She has admitted dalliances with open sex & drugs & had brief & embarrassing marriages to Michael Jackson & Nicolas Cage . She has been married a total of four times as of this writing .If Elvis were still alive , I think he'd come down on her like a ton of bricks . Her "tell-it-like-it-is" attitude , foul mouth & blunt demeanor would be a constant source of embarrassment to him . "

This is all on pg. 338. He says that his pastor told him that those in heaven are able to see the good things that loved ones here on earth do , but that God doesn't let them see anything that would upset them.
According to Sonny:
"If this is true , then Elvis hasn't seen much of Lisa Marie lately. "

I really have nothing to say in Sonny's defense .

srj1967
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
[/B]

Sonny and the Wests have absolutely nothing to apologise for.

Perhaps if Elvis had survived '77, and he ended up reconciling with them - then probably an apology was due. But only to Elvis. But Elvis (and Vernon) should have also apologised for the way the Wests were fired.

Why would Sonny at al have to apologise to anyone aside from Elvis? They did nothing to us (well, aside from perhaps offending some - but not all - Elvis fans with EWH) but it was nothing directly to any of us.

Now that Sonny has, as ajr says, taken cracks at Joe via his book, I can now go public with what Sonny told me when I met him in 2005, and asked me to keep quiet about. Long story short, let's just say my opinion of Joe was pretty much backed up. In Sonny's words: "Total ***hole!", and there was a lot more done by (and hidden by) Joe than he's let on.

Overall, despite what Sonny and Red did in '77, I would trust their stories more than Joe's any day of the week.

"Diamond" Joe indeed. (n)

srj1967
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
"For her to claim with a pointedly raised eyebrow that she "watched it all " is a joke.
.If Elvis were still alive , I think he'd come down on her like a ton of bricks . Her "tell-it-like-it-is" attitude , foul mouth & blunt demeanor would be a constant source of embarrassment to him . "

Sonny is absolutely right about Lisa Marie here. She was nine when Elvis died after all!

ajr
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Sonny and the Wests have absolutely nothing to apologise for.

Perhaps if Elvis had survived '77, and he ended up reconciling with them - then probably an apology was due. But only to Elvis. But Elvis (and Vernon) should have also apologised for the way the Wests were fired.

Why would Sonny at al have to apologise to anyone aside from Elvis? They did nothing to us (well, aside from perhaps offending some - but not all - Elvis fans with EWH) but it was nothing directly to any of us.

Now that Sonny has, as ajr says, taken cracks at Joe via his book, I can now go public with what Sonny told me when I met him in 2005, and asked me to keep quiet about. Long story short, let's just say my opinion of Joe was pretty much backed up. In Sonny's words: "Total ***hole!", and there was a lot more done by (and hidden by) Joe than he's let on.

Overall, despite what Sonny and Red did in '77, I would trust their stories more than Joe's any day of the week.

"Diamond" Joe indeed. (n)

I just asked an opinion, if you'd read this book. I specifically asked for your comment ....on this book only. NOT to debate or argue about it.
I'm really sick to death of all this arguing when not one of us was there .
Read his book......then you take everyone on. I'm just disgusted !!

CRITTERGITTER
06-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Why is anyone even considering buying this man's book. Have we forgotten he and the others betrayed Elvis. How would you feel if your "friends" wrote a book about your personal issues for the world to read. Elvis was a proud man and what Sonny and the others did was unspeakable. I will not buy his book or anything else he puts out. He disgusts me.

srj1967
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I just asked an opinion, if you'd read this book. I specifically asked for your comment ....on this book only. NOT to debate or argue about it.
I'm really sick to death of all this arguing when not one of us was there .
Read his book......then you take everyone on. I'm just disgusted !!

Who's arguing??!! What posts are you reading??! I opened my post with "Sonny and the Wests have absolutely nothing to apologise for."

Did I call you an *****? Did I say your opinion was invalid? I was responding to your post with my opinion! How on earth is that argumentative??! The thread is about Sonny, hence my response. Obviously, I will have more to say when I read the book.

WHY is it every time someone disagrees with one of your comments, ajr, you immediately assume they are "arguing" ... it is called debate and discussion!

But THIS particular argument, and all past and future ones are done between you and me. I'm done with your posts. You are now on my ignore list, and I suggest you do the same to me.

meg
06-06-2007, 01:52 PM
WHY is it every time someone disagrees with one of your comments, ajr, you immediately assume they are "arguing" ... it is called debate and discussion!

(y) (y) (y)

Merry
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I think most people on this site have a sense of protectiveness about Elvis, he's like a member of your family, you might not like or agree with everything they do, but as soon as you think someone is laughing or having a go at them, you come out fighting :angry:

Jess, that was a nice story, thanks for telling it (y)

Absolutely re protectiveness. Why worry about the faults? We all have them. What makes us, us, gives us life experience and empathy for others, gives us the higher Emotional IQ we should all desire.

When you love someone, you look for the good. (I also look for the good in strangers, until they prove me wrong).

You are welcome, thank you.

(y)

Jess

memphisbelle
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I have never read so much feet stomping and petulance in my life (n) and I've been in a few Elvis forums :'(

Of course everyone should be able to give their opinion and everyone should be able to give a response, even if it's the opposite, doesn't make them a lesser person than you, just different and isn't that what Elvis was all about from the start :king:

Sorry, that went a "bit" off topic :)

Merry
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
(y) (y) (y)

I only know AJR from here.

However, Meg, with all due respect, it would be nice if you tried some TLC.

ajr
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
(y) (y) (y) And to srj:
In the first place, it was not "my comments" only something I took from
this book......it was Sonny's comments.

Whoever said 'why buy this book' ? Believe me, I didn't it, came from my library.
so, it's now up to you all. Read it yourself.

I don't like the debates some have here. I like calm discussion & comments. I leave it to the "debaters." :lmfao:

Merry
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Sonny gives his opinion on Lisa:

Her own track record since her father's death is nothing to brag about. She has admitted dalliances with open sex & drugs & had brief & embarrassing marriages to Michael Jackson & Nicolas Cage . She has been married a total of four times as of this writing .If Elvis were still alive , I think he'd come down on her like a ton of bricks . Her "tell-it-like-it-is" attitude , foul mouth & blunt demeanor would be a constant source of embarrassment to him . "

This is all on pg. 338. He says that his pastor told him that those in heaven are able to see the good things that loved ones here on earth do , but that God doesn't let them see anything that would upset them.
According to Sonny:
"If this is true , then Elvis hasn't seen much of Lisa Marie lately. "

I really have nothing to say in Sonny's defense .

Not good, ajr, to say the least.

I won't buy the book, and I don't want anything to do with him, nor will I defend him.

Jess

Merry
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
But Elvis (and Vernon) should have also apologised for the way the Wests were fired.

However, the Wests knew that Vernon always did the hiring and firing. Nothing different there. They also knew that everyone had already been fired over the years, and Elvis ALWAYS forgave them (source: A friend of Elvis').

ajr
06-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Not good, ajr, to say the least.

I won't buy the book, and I don't want anything to do with him, nor will I defend him. Jess

Just see if you can get it from your library & read it. Or maybe a friend of yours will let you borrow it.
I really was hoping I could finally let the anger go against the Wests.
I'm sorry,I just can't.

To me, there was no apology to anyone, not even Elvis. But, you read it. You might see something different than I did.
I'm just sick with all the insults I read from him last night & this morning....not worth it to me....:'(

Peace......

Merry
06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=ajr;115061]Just see if QUOTE]

Thanks ajr..

memphisbelle
06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
To me, there was no apology to anyone, not even Elvis. But, you read it. You might see something different than I did.
I'm just sick with all the insults I read from him last night & this morning....not worth it to me....:'(

Peace......

AJR, I was looking forward to hearing what you thought of the book :D but I think the excerpts you've posted has proven that Sonny is still as bitter as ever :mad: Even if he had apologised to Elvis, to state that he regretted certain things, maybe my opinion would've changed but I wouldn't give him my money to hear any of it. It's sad after 30 years for him to still carry those feelings around :hmm:

jak
06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I will probably get the book but Im in no hurry.I've read some positive things from people who have finished it.From what I hear though he hasnt really added anything that makes it an essential item.I know Im in the minority but but I dont think Sonny is a bad guy.Same goes for Red.These guys have been consistent over the years with their recollections of events.They have never fabricated stories just to exploit Elvis.Their relationship had an unfortunate end but these guys were Elvis' closest friends at one time.
Jak

edbdmiddy
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
With friends like those 3 --- you sure would not need any enemies. Jak you seem to ride a big white horse for cilla too from what I have read in your posts. You are just kidding in them aren't you?:hmm:

jak
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
With friends like those 3 --- you sure would not need any enemies. Jak you seem to ride a big white horse for cilla too from what I have read in your posts. You are just kidding in them aren't you?:hmm:

No I am quite serious.I do believe she's somewaht aloof,arogant and probably doesnt think her crap stinks.On the other hand she's gets more unwaranted criticism than anybody in the Elvis world.I am still waiting for someone to tell me how she wronged Elvis or what lies she told about him during their marriage.Ive never heard her say anything malicious about him.She always sticks up for him in my opinion.Ive never been unable to understand the resentment she gets from so many fans.
Please dont blame me for bringing this up.I was asked you know:D
Jak

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-06-2007, 11:53 PM
No I am quite serious.I do believe she's somewaht aloof,arogant and probably doesnt think her crap stinks.On the other hand she's gets more unwaranted criticism than anybody in the Elvis world.I am still waiting for someone to tell me how she wronged Elvis or what lies she told about him during their marriage.Ive never heard her say anything malicious about him.She always sticks up for him in my opinion.Ive never been unable to understand the resentment she gets from so many fans.
Please dont blame me for bringing this up.I was asked you know:D
Jak

OMG :supriced: ........ run for the hills lol

goodelvisgirl
06-07-2007, 12:15 AM
well jak she left elvis at a time when he realy needed her she had an affair with his karate instructor so i read she entered a marage knowing full well what she was in for and all she goes on about is how she was victomised and treated in a bad way and how the guys were always around but she knew that elvis was no saint but neither was she i dont hate her nor do i love her

ajr
06-07-2007, 12:42 AM
With friends like those 3 --- you sure would not need any enemies.

ON this I'd have to agree.:)

Diane
06-07-2007, 12:49 AM
I almost completely passed over this thread thinking it was just more about Sonny's new book and now I wish I had!

What can this man be thinking? Everytime he writes something about his "dear friend" it comes out in as negative force against Elvis. He needs lessons in "decision making" that's for sure. He is again fueling a negative image with this Fat Elvis trailing along behind him.

Maybe he just wants attention whether it be good or bad and doesn't care or stop to think what it does to Elvis. In any case, changed my mind, will certainly not be buying this book!

I may do as ajr suggests and borrow it from the library but again may not as I probably will want to burn it.:mad:

Diane

ajr
06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I do believe she's somewaht aloof,arogant and probably doesnt think her crap stinks.
Jak
And you are attracted to these kind of women, jak??
Sorry, I thought it was funny. ;)

IF you read anything I've said about Cilla...you know my dislike of her is all about Lisa. Nothing about EP.

Back on track: Sonny has plenty of things to say about Cilla & Lisa.
Even I get tired of hearing it all. :blink:

franny
06-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I agree, Diane! I don't understand, why he is portraying a negative image of Elvis!! That is not right!

I can understand about writing these books, it's for the $$$$$$ :lol: and fine, as long as it's truthful, but as you said, "this Fat Elvis trailing along behind him"...and this is nothing against overweight people, but why does he feel this is necessary to promote his new book?!

franny

jak
06-07-2007, 01:40 AM
OMG :supriced: ........ run for the hills lol

Very funny!! I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that.I will try my best not to stir things up.Scout's honor!
Jak

SweetCaroline
06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
"West has also agreed to promote his book with the help of "Big Elvis", a 550 pounds heavy Las Vegas impersonator."

If that is true, West is a ****ing loser.

You hit the nail on the head!

West!!!! :angry:

jak
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
well jak she left elvis at a time when he realy needed her she had an affair with his karate instructor so i read she entered a marage knowing full well what she was in for and all she goes on about is how she was victomised and treated in a bad way and how the guys were always around but she knew that elvis was no saint but neither was she i dont hate her nor do i love her

Just want to offer my opinion here.Im not trying to provoke but Elvis certainly had numerous affairs.Right from the start i might add.Maybe she needed him at that time also?He kinda asked for it.I doubt anybody could have known what they were getting into being with Elvis.His life was just to extraordinary.Let's all remain calm.
Jak

ajr
06-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Just want to offer my opinion here.Im not trying to provoke but Elvis certainly had numerous affairs.Right from the start i might add.Maybe she needed him at that time also?He kinda asked for it.I doubt anybody could have known what they were getting into being with Elvis.His life was just to extraordinary.Let's all remain calm.
Jak

Didn't she live with him 7 years before they married??
Seems long enough to figure out if he's gonna be around or not.
I'm always calm.....not !! :lol:

Merry
06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Didn't she live with him 7 years before they married??
Seems long enough to figure out if he's gonna be around or not.
I'm always calm.....not !! :lol:

O.K. I'm going to make a personal comment (seems like the day for it, lol) with regard to this subject and choices that you make, when you are attracted to someone.

I was always raised to not try to change a man. So, you have to accept what you have in front of you, if you don't like what you see, then that isn't the man for you.

Jess

KPM
06-07-2007, 04:19 AM
If its true, the Fat Elvis trailing Sonny to promote the book, its a wrong way to go about it. It does nothing but draw negative responce from many who may have bought the book. In advertising and promotion its just not smart to "offend the people" you are trying to sell your product to. Since IMO for most of Elvis's life he stayed fairly trim(with occasional gains) and his true weight gain was from about late 74 to his death he was trim and fit for 39 years-why not get a fit and trim look-a-like to follow Sonny? You know maybe the 69 -73 image. Why go for the worst 2 or 3 years of his life look?So you have to ask if they chose a very fat Elvis look-a-like, are they saying "This is the TRUE Elvis Sonny knew" "This is the Elvis we are describing in the book and you'll read all the gory details for x-amount of $$$$$
So although this fat guy will offend many fans-its gonna grab the others with $25.00 who just want to read the latest salacious Re-revelations of sex drugs and rock-n-roll. It will not matter to them if its 100% true or 100% false- they want to read about it the fat guy in the white suit! The fat guy who ate weird peanut butter banana sandwiches, was drugged most of his adult life, who never wrote his own music, made crappy movies, who stole his style from black music, who tried to put a hit out on his wifes lover, who was cruel to friends, who never took a stand, who went totally insane and who died on the john. That is the image a lot of people have of Elvis-and I do not exaggerate. They will not remember he had a kind heart, could be very fun loving, was generous because it gave him pleasure, tried to find his place spritually seeking God in many ways, loved entertaining, had a great sense of humor, had a nearly 3 octave voice, did not really steal his style, loved his family, was courteous & friendly to his fans, had troubled times and died......
Nope what they will remember is a fat guy in a white suit following Sonny West around and it will represent every negative image ever applied to Elvis-Smart Promotion!(n)

Merry
06-07-2007, 04:26 AM
If its true,!(n)

Hi KPM,

Sandi Pichon, who is a friend of Sonny's, posted on a public Loop I'm on, that the large Elvis has a wonderful voice, is a wonderful person, and has lost a lot of weight.

Their thinking, (Sonny's PR, I gather, I could be wrong) is that they had an Elvis impersonator there, to keep Elvis' memory alive, (they feel that the good impersonators (or tribute artists, sorry I'm not up on this), with the good voices, do this) and that they find it sad, that some fans look at the large Elvis, running him down because of his size, when in fact, they have him there, because of the above qualities. They reiterated, they feel it sad that people run down this Impersonator (Tribute Artist), because of his size.

Kind wishes,
Jess

KPM
06-07-2007, 04:59 AM
To be truthful its not the size of this guy personally- when he walks around as himself- my point is what the size represents to millions of people in relation to Elvis Presley. Elvis's voice was never better when he was in his last 2 years but people do not recall that, they recall he was fat and drugged. I meant no disrespect to this guy my comments were about the motive for using someone overweight as a representation for the life of Elvis-the story of Elvis. I could lose a few pounds myself and no how hard it can be to gain it.
I have not seen this guy, nor heard his imitation, and do not care for the bulk of the imitators. The impersonators do draw attention to Elvis's life-but very little respect to him IMO Many are living caricatures of an unbalanced image. (I hope I don't offend anyone with this opinion, and I base it on the ones I have seen on TV and a few in person.) Most just do not convey the true voice and excitment of Elvis yet many who hear them (and have had little exposure to the full range of Elvis's vocal talent) walk away thinking "Man thats how he must have sounded" Lets face it- IMO- the bulk of them sound nothing like Elvis-some are better than others but few come close. I feel it adds to the "Thank ya, thank ya very much" stereo type image which is Elvis to a lot of people.
I started my previous post with the words "If its true"- if it ends up not being true and the guy is slimmer, and has a pretty good voice then it will not seem as sensationalistic and done for the pure reason of $$$$ I would not buy Sonnys book to start with even before this new wrinkle in its promotion. I usually get them from our library and read them or pick them up a year or so later for $3.99 at Waldenbooks after the initial release.
Once again I meant no disrespect to anyone who has a weight problem nor do I look down on them personally-but I was just questioning the motive (if true) of a overweight imitatior representing the last worst years of Elvis's life as opposed to a more trim youthful representation. I guess when ever this finally happens we will all see how this is played and can decide then why it was done. Thanks for the additional info.

Merry
06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
To be truthful its not the size of this guy personally- when he walks around as himself- .

HI KPM,

I realise your intentions, and I'm sure everyone else realises too, that your intentions are always honourable.

I was trying to be fair, giving the other point of view, as supplied.

I always like to give the benefit of the doubt, too. Perhaps, as this man (the larger framed Elvis impersonator) is talented, plus a nice person, they didn't give any thought to what the fans may think? Afterall, when you are a friend with someone or love them, you don't notice those things? Anyway, perhaps they just went with "he is talented and fun to work with, let's do it?"

I don't know, KPM, that is the impression I received from Sandi Pichon's post, anyway.

Kind wishes,
Jess

P.S. Re not getting the vibes of Elvis live. There are some fantastic talented, tight bands around where I live, some really talented singers, who are singing a lot of Elvis' songs. We are all enjoying them (including the children, teenagers and young adults) immensely.

I was dancing, enjoying the songs, having a great time a few weeks ago, thinking "imagine if this was Elvis in front of me. Imagine, they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on Elvis' voice (even though they were really good) charisma, stage presence. Imagine how it would have been?

Wish I had been there.

Jess

KPM
06-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Yes you are correct about the good bands and music people have fun and dance etc. We have a local guy around my area who has been doing Elvis for about 17 years now. He is a nice guy, he draws crowds, he does alot of charity work for nothing (nursing home shows, hospitals benefits etc)He has played at Blueberry Hill a nightclub in St.Louis which has had big named acts they do a regular Elvis tribute every year. Many people love his act and hes fun, he just does not sound like Elvis. If people walk away thinking thats the way Elvis sounded they are being misled. But this guy is a nice and very giving person. I actually talked to him about this one time when he was not "ELVIS"
He said he always tells people "if you like the way I sing buy some Elvis music because I am no where near the singer Elvis is." If every person who went to his shows (and other imitators shows)actually did go buy his music Elvis would be setting new sales records every year. But most don't go rush out out to do that, so even though they had fun and enjoyed themelves they still think Thats the way Elvis sounded -good or bad.
Its just my opinion, I have always thought the impersonators are a Catch 22
they keep Elvis before the public but by the same token add to the misconception of his talents and abilities. They in themselves have become a punchline in society. Just as in a lot of ways Elvis is perceived as the image I described in my earlier post. But many people like them and they do bring a lot of joy to lots of folks and do a lot of good things.

Merry
06-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Yes you are correct about the good bands and music people have fun and dance etc. .

I agree with you.....Hmmmmm impersonators aren't my cup of tea, although a wonderful compliment to Elvis. I would also critique someone too much, if I listened to them doing a set.

I just love it, the compliment, that there are a lot of really talented bands out there, that sing some of Elvis' songs (amongst others) and do a wonderful, fun job of it!

It pleases me greatly to watch the kids dance (including with me, hehe) plus rodeo riders, everyone, they just "got down" lol.

Jess

ajr
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I've been in touch with Sonny's promoter (and no ... this is not to "blow my own horn" before anyone writes a sarcastic email, I'm just stating a fact here).

He's in Vegas for a couple of days and will email me when he gets back. I'm arranging for a copy of the book to be sent to me, so I'll ask him (subtly of course) what's the deal with this "Big Elvis" bloke; is it true etc? Will let you all know what transpires ...

This was posted May 21......since srj has "blocked me from view" ;)
Maybe one of you can ask him if he's heard from Sonny's promoter yet .

I think what irritates us about this guy is he seems to represent the cartoonish picture of what has been presented as "Elvis"
He actually is not a bad singer. This is already over too. I think it said May 18or 19 ??

Merry
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
This was posted May 21......since srj has "blocked me from view" ;)
Maybe one of you can ask him if he's heard from Sonny's promoter yet .

I think what irritates us about this guy is he seems to represent the cartoonish picture of what has been presented as "Elvis"
He actually is not a bad singer. This is already over too. I think it said May 18or 19 ??

AJR, what Sandi Pichon (who attends the book signings with Sonny, I believe) said is the situation, as far as I'm aware.

Jess

ajr
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi KPM,
..... that they find it sad, that some fans look at the large Elvis, running him down because of his size, when in fact, they have him there, because of the above qualities. They reiterated, they feel it sad that people run down this Impersonator (Tribute Artist), because of his size.
Kind wishes,
Jess

Yes, I read this.....I'm not talking about this guy "personally" exactly......
I'm questioning the PR people about their "wisdom?" & choice of any Impersontor they choose.
I just disagree...with Sandi too ;if she turns our complaints around to try to make it seem as if we're being mean to an "overweight elvis".
NOT TRUE !! It's the promoters that have made a mistake, IMO.

Joe Car
06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
What kills me, rather then have an impersonator, show some footage of EP if possible.

Diane
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
This Elvis impersonator may be the sweetest guy on earth but the image he is projecting is NOT good for Elvis. Sonny should not have used any impersonator at all - it looks like he says he feels any "Elvis" will do as long as it makes him $$$$$ - that is my opinion.

goodelvisgirl
06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
elvis was once a friend to sonny now elvis is just a money making oppertunity for him i am very discusted by sonnys actions . i agree with diane 100%

jak
06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
You really cant balme these guys for cashing in.It's easy for us to say how wrong it is for former friends or whatever to write books or make money from their association.I just wonder how many of us could avoid doing the exact same thing if we were in their shoes?Would be so quick to turn away from a paycheck?When these guys were working for Elvis they made peanuts on their weekly salary.I know they got gifts and perks at times.They still had bills and families to support.Elvis didnt provide a pension plan or health care.If someone isnt fabricating stories and is just recanting their life I say more power to them.It was their story too.The books wouldnt get written if people didnt want to buy them right?
I do know a little bit of info about Sonny and the impersonator.This isnt a first.Periodically Sonny will appear with the guys at their shows.Afterwards he has a question and answer session with the audience.It's a paying gig.The Sweet Inspiratins,Stamps and others all do the same thing including the Jordanaires.These people gotta put food on the table.That's it.
Jak

srj1967
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
The Sweet Inspiratins,Stamps and others all do the same thing including the Jordanaires.

As does DJ Fontana ...

jak
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
As does DJ Fontana ...

Charlie Hodge made a whole career out of it.JD Sumner is another, yet nobody ever gets on their cases.Once again hypocrisy rears it's ugly head!!
Jak

ajr
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
You really cant balme these guys for cashing in.

I just wonder how many of us could avoid doing the exact same thing if we were in their shoes?

Elvis didnt provide a pension plan or health care.

The books wouldnt get written if people didnt want to buy them right?

Jak

I DO blame those guys for "cashing in. You'd think after 30 years of "slinging mud" they've been paid quite enough !!
To tell things like they've told about one of my friends??
Absolutely not !! What kind of friends do you have ??

How many jobs provide a pension & healthcare today?? Especially for "hanging out & having a good time ."
This one I've heard before & I was shocked then that anyone said it !!

This last statement is the ONLY one I can agree with. That's why I NEVER buy these peoples books !!

srj1967
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Charlie Hodge made a whole career out of it.

Charlie made a whole life out of it!

I think there were a few thread responses a while back that hammered him a bit.

jak
06-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I DO blame those guys for "cashing in. You'd think after 30 years of "slinging mud" they've been paid quite enough !!
To tell things like they've told about one of my friends??
Absolutely not !! What kind of friends do you have ??

How many jobs provide a pension & healthcare today?? Especially for "hanging out & having a good time ."
This one I've heard before & I was shocked then that anyone said it !!

This last statement is the ONLY one I can agree with. That's why I NEVER buy these peoples books !!

The fact is when Elvis died many people had the rug pulled out from underneath them.They had to go on.Elvis didnt provide for them after his death.Im not saying he should have either.Im just stating facts.These guys still had to have money coming in.I doubt many people here would turn down a payday when offered.The guys get blamed for telling the stories yet they get hounded to do so.The fans buy the books.They cant quench their thirst for more details.It's a fact.If the books are factual why shouldnt they write them?The fans including myself, always want to know more.
How about appearing with the impersonator's?All those people I mentioned do it.They are still making money off of Elvis too.Face the facts.Elvis is an industry today.When I go to Memphis in august I will be contributing my dollars as well.
Bottom line is this.The guys who the fans loved like Hodge and others milked their association with Elvis just like the guys the fans hate.I dont blame any of them for doing what they had to do to survive.
Jak

ajr
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Charlie made a whole life out of it!

I think there were a few thread responses a while back that hammered him a bit.

I think this thread has been taken :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:
Weren't we talking about Sonny Wests book??

ajr
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
The fact is when Elvis died many people had the rug pulled out from underneath them.They had to go on.Elvis didnt provide for them after his death.Im not saying he should have either.Im just stating facts.These guys still had to have money coming in.I doubt many people here would turn down a payday when offered.The guys get blamed for telling the stories yet they get hounded to do so.The fans buy the books.They cant quench their thirst for more details.It's a fact.If the books are factual why shouldnt they write them?The fans including myself, always want to know more.
How about appearing with the impersonator's?All those people I mentioned do it.They are still making money off of Elvis too.Face the facts.Elvis is an industry today.When I go to Memphis in august I will be contributing my dollars as well.
Bottom line is this.The guys who the fans loved like Hodge and others milked their association with Elvis just like the guys the fans hate.I dont blame any of them for doing what they had to do to survive.
Jak

We're talking about SONNY here !!!!!!
Start another thread !!

jak
06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
We're talking about SONNY here !!!!!!
Start another thread !!

So am I.What applies to Sonny goes for all of them to me.I am saying it's wrong to critize him for what he's doing.I have no problem with him writing a book.My post was on topic.It's all related.He has every right to tell his life's story.
Jak

srj1967
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
If the books are factual why shouldnt they write them?The fans including myself, always want to know more.

Indeed. Each of them is telling the truth as they see it.

Most everyone loved Charlie's book, even though it was a whitewashed piece of crap. A lot of fans hated EWH and will presumably loathe Sonny's book because it will mention things that many fans don't want to hear.

And for some on this thread to rip the you-know-what out of Sonny for writing the book without having actually read it, is rather infantile.

To wit:
he wasn't actually famous for anything no one cares about sonny his life his storys or his books anything we want to know about elvis we will find a better source i would buy the book if it was from a true friend

"Interesting" point of view ...

ajr
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Indeed. Each of them is telling the truth as they see it.

Most everyone loved Charlie's book, even though it was a whitewashed piece of crap. A lot of fans hated EWH and will presumably loathe Sonny's book because it will mention things that many fans don't want to hear.

And for some on this thread to rip the you-know-what out of Sonny for writing the book without having actually read it, is rather infantile.

I read each & every word of Sonny's trash !! But, YOU HAVEN'T & you made **************** sure I couldn't even put some of it on here !!!

Diane
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I do understand that the MM band members, singers etc. had to go on and make a living but I would respect them more if they had done something else in the music world or otherwise. This cashing in on Elvis seems so mercenary. I can't get my mind around that. I know they all could have found something else, and feel they are doing this because it's just too easy, Elvis has already done most of it for them and, because like what was said, fans always want to know more about Elvis. Something I think maybe fans should back off and not be so nosy.

This whole today thinking of forgetting about self pride and honesty for power and money gets to me.:'(

KPM
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Well if you take the "whitewashes" and the books which "burn Elvis at the stake" and look in the middle you'll probably find a closer truth to reality. They all want to make money, some go the whitewash route and others go the more sensational route. Its simple- why argue about it? I like to read the truth, but like balance in what I read. IMO I find when any subject goes to far one to one side that its not as believable and doubt creeps in about the "truth" being told. (Whitewash or Sensational doesnt matter)
We don't have to constantly revisit the the same 2 or 3 topics every time a thread can be steered in their direction. I think I have seen the phrase "hi-jacked" when it happens. Sure everyone should feel free to contribute but why does it always end up an internet shouting match? If I don't agree I'll give my reasons and tell you why-I won't insinuate you are an ***** or dumb or naive orany other type of insult-direct or in Stealth Bomber fashion. If you believe the whitewashes are totally true, to me its okay-you have a right. If you believe every negative about Elvis is 100% gospel-its okay with me-you have the right. Its trying to convert people to your way of looking at it that IMO causes the shouting matches and the insults. But what do I know?:lol:

Diane
06-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Yep, it's that "conversion" bit that gets to me too.

Diane

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Well if you take the "whitewashes" and the books which "burn Elvis at the stake" and look in the middle you'll probably find a closer truth to reality. They all want to make money, some go the whitewash route and others go the more sensational route. Its simple- why argue about it? I like to read the truth, but like balance in what I read. IMO I find when any subject goes to far one to one side that its not as believable and doubt creeps in about the "truth" being told. (Whitewash or Sensational doesnt matter)
We don't have to constantly revisit the the same 2 or 3 topics every time a thread can be steered in their direction. I think I have seen the phrase "hi-jacked" when it happens. Sure everyone should feel free to contribute but why does it always end up an internet shouting match? If I don't agree I'll give my reasons and tell you why-I won't insinuate you are an ***** or dumb or naive orany other type of insult-direct or in Stealth Bomber fashion. If you believe the whitewashes are totally true, to me its okay-you have a right. If you believe every negative about Elvis is 100% gospel-its okay with me-you have the right. Its trying to convert people to your way of looking at it that IMO causes the shouting matches and the insults. But what do I know?:lol:

Very eloquently put (y)

Merry
06-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Very eloquently put (y)

I would like to suggest we clear the air.

Thing is, because the negativity is so forcefully forced down our throats at EVERY opportunity (being the same things said, over and over, as if people want to push buttons, I agree with Diane, 100% here), it then happens to be the case, that those who love Elvis, defend him.

This actually started, with another poster, who did this type of stirring, and threw in insults for good measure, who now appears to not be posting here any nore. I may be wrong, but this is when all of this started. (Please correct me if I am wrong, or if need be).

In my opinion, now balance should be brought in, and where, with all due respect, the Moderators should step in.

STAY ON TOPIC (I am one who is very guilty of not doing this).

In my opinion, down the middle line, with the focus being on FUN, THE TOPIC and ELVIS' MUSIC is what is needed here.

I hope some agree with me, we may clear the air, and move on to what we should be doing, which is, having fun? :clap:

What do you think, Matt?

Take care,
Jess

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I would like to suggest we clear the air.

Thing is, because the negativity is so forcefully forced down our throats at EVERY opportunity (being the same things said, over and over, as if people want to push buttons, I agree with Diane, 100% here), it then happens to be the case, that those who love Elvis, defend him.

This actually started, with another poster, who did this type of stirring, and threw in insults for good measure, who now appears to not be posting here any nore. I may be wrong, but this is when all of this started. (Please correct me if I am wrong, or if need be).

In my opinion, now balance should be brought in, and where, with all due respect, the Moderators should step in.

STAY ON TOPIC (I am one who is very guilty of not doing this).

In my opinion, down the middle line, with the focus being on FUN, THE TOPIC and ELVIS' MUSIC is what is needed here.

I hope some agree with me, we may clear the air, and move on to what we should be doing, which is, having fun? :clap:

What do you think, Matt?

Take care,
Jess

100% agreed here! EVERYONE needs to stop side swiping and move on (y)

Diane
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Agreed...........(y) (y)