PDA

View Full Version : should lisa live at graceland?

patricia
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
should lisa-marie live at graceland?
Obviously it is her decision but I think Elvis wanted her to live there when he left it to her.
Of course I would still want the fans to tour there and it wouldn`t be impossible, it would just require planning.
Aunt Delta continued to live there.
She could even live there a few months of the year with her family and open it for the rest of the year in the same way the royals do when they are not in residence.
I have always been impressed by that when I have toured the royal residences.
Obviously it could be too painful for her being surrounded by too many memories of her father and I fully understand that as well.
Apparently when she visits Memphis she never sleeps at the mansion but at an hotel nearby as she finds it a little spooky.
Should it still remain a home as Elvis may of wanted?
What are peoples opinions on this?

vulcandude
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
While I agree with you it would be Lisa Marie's decision as to whether or not to live at Graceland, and that it could concievably be done with planning as you said, I think Lisa Marie is more content and happy to live where she does now. While Graceland holds both many wonderful and tragic memories, (as she was there when Elvis died), and she would want to be close to them, I think she also realizes that as much money as Graceland brings in, closing it down even part time would hurt her father's income. It is her home to do with as she pleases, but I think that more people might turn on her if she did close the doors even for just a couple months at a time. And, yes, while Aunt Delta did live there, Aunt Delta never had the fame or notoriety Lisa Marie does. If she tried to live there during tour hours, no one would be able to get anywhere, it'd be too crowded. Whatever she would do though, I'd support 100%.

ajr
05-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think Lisa wants any part of living at Graceland,IMO.
And I don't blame her for that. Neither would I ,if I were her.
In one of her songs she "sings about the empty grave in the yard....waiting for her "?? Something like that....

I'm not sure she could even live there now if she wanted. Wasn't it made a National Monument or something ?? For sure the rules about visiting Meditation Garden would still apply. She has to allow people to "visit the graves" at a certain time period. What a deal; waking up to see people out in your yard/grave-yard at sun-up.
:doh: Nah, I couldn't take it.

Diane
05-13-2007, 10:51 PM
It would have been a very expensive up-keep just to live in Graceland and she would never have been able to have any peace there with all the fans clamoring around all the time.

She did what was best for her and that's the way it should be.

Diane

hounddog
05-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Well said ajr.

elvis himselvis
05-14-2007, 02:02 AM
that house has very nice memories for her,but also one very bad memory...I think she can't live in that house with that bad memory,and I understand that

JDD
05-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Warren Buffett aside, people with lots of money, like Lisa has usually want much bigger houses. As houses go in the 50s that one was big, but by todays standards I have houses nearly that size in my neighborhood. Also if she did, no more money train. So by that alone it wouldn't be a smart ideal. Not living there is like a build in income for all her decedents to come.

Polk-Salad-Annie
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
It would have been a very expensive up-keep just to live in Graceland and she would never have been able to have any peace there with all the fans clamoring around all the time.
She did what was best for her and that's the way it should be.
Diane

Well said.(y)

05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
should lisa-marie live at graceland?
Obviously it is her decision but I think Elvis wanted her to live there when he left it to her.
Of course I would still want the fans to tour there and it wouldn`t be impossible, it would just require planning.
Aunt Delta continued to live there.
She could even live there a few months of the year with her family and open it for the rest of the year in the same way the royals do when they are not in residence.
I have always been impressed by that when I have toured the royal residences.
Obviously it could be too painful for her being surrounded by too many memories of her father and I fully understand that as well.
Apparently when she visits Memphis she never sleeps at the mansion but at an hotel nearby as she finds it a little spooky.
Should it still remain a home as Elvis may of wanted?
What are peoples opinions on this?

Graceland is a museum - not a home now and I don't see why she would want to live in it.

The house is old, wiring would need to be updated as would a lot of things for someone accustomed to the lifestyle Lisa is to live there.

It's a cash-cow which she would be preventing from doing it's full trade by living there.

Delta just wouldent get out of the house thats why she stayed there.

And Lisa has her own career to look after, which its probabaly better to be living in L.A for.

As for people descended from the aristocratic heads of state - aren't most of them forced to open up their homes as they belong to the people and most of the indigenious people are still subsidising the inbred european monarchies anyways!

Kick em out and open up the homes fully to the people - let em all get jobs I say!

presley
05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't think Lisa will ever move back to graceland. The house is full of memories that are good and bad. I have read in a book that Lisa hasn't stayed at graceland since her fathers death. Lisa doesn't like L.A, but she won't move to graceland. Its nice that Lisa takes time to go back ,and takes her kids and relives the memories. I hope one day Lisa will see the love that elvis had for graceland and she treasure's it just like elvis.

Lisarose
05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Even before Elvis' death, Graceland was hounded by fans. Tons of fans at the gate, scaling the walls. Even at Elvis previous home, Gladys Presley would have to go outside & tell the fans to please be quiet & come back another time, because Elvis needed to rest. Lisa could live there if she wanted, sure there are sad memories, but there must be a ton of great memories, too. I think that even if it were never turned into the museum it is now, that there would be fans crowding about. Just as they do in Hollywood. The stars & their neighbors never really get peace & quiet what with tour buses rambling through every half-hour. No matter where she lives, it'd be a fishbowl. This one would just offer a wide spectrum of family roots & memories.

toffe
05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Well said.(y)

Yepp......... (y)

ajr
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Would any of us really want to live in our parents house ??

I know I wouldn't. ;)

Diane
05-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Sure, I would love to live in my parent's old house but I don't think the new owners who built a new house on the lot would go for it.:D

Diane

joanne
05-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Like you Diane I`d love to live in my childhood home.

Merry
05-19-2007, 02:44 AM
My grandparents pretty much raised me, and died eight and 10 years ago, respectively.

I drove past the house six years ago, I guess, it is too painful for me. I loved them dearly, I rather not just deal with it, than deal with it. I think if I went inside, I'd cry. Don't think I could.

Everyone is different.

Jess

KPM
05-19-2007, 03:26 AM
I can understand why she might not want to live there.
But I hope if she ever decides she wants to live there that she does it. There may come a time when it will truely feel like home to her, and if that happens I hope she follows thru.

Diane
05-19-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm glad you feel the same Joanne.:D

Jess, you're also right, it would all depend on the memories you have and how the house feels to you. I sure can understand your viewpoint too.

And yes KPM, I'm sure Lisa will do what she feels is right for her if she should ever feel she wants to live at Graceland - or not as she is now.

Diane

JDD
05-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Would any of us really want to live in our parents house ??

I know I wouldn't. ;)

I bought the house my Dad died in last December and live in it today. Didn't want anybody else to have it, didn't seem right. Doesn't bother me, in fact
I left his room the same and it'll stay that way until I'm ready to let it go.

Its not that big a deal , not for me, but with Graceland knowing how his fans felt about him, and the fact it was in trouble and going to be lost to Her if they hadn't changed it into what it is now I think it was brilliant business. It went from being a liability to a successful business and now none of her kids, or kids kids, should ever have to worry about anything money wise unless they get really stupid with it.

ajr
05-19-2007, 07:48 AM
My grandparents pretty much raised me, and died eight and 10 years ago, respectively.

I drove past the house six years ago, I guess, it is too painful for me. I loved them dearly, I rather not just deal with it, than deal with it. I think if I went inside, I'd cry. Don't think I could.

Everyone is different. Jess

My grandparents & an aunt & uncle raised me too.
They're all gone now. While there is nothing wrong with the house; I'd
just as soon not live there.:'(

Of course, it's about 150 miles from where I live too.
Not exactly a convenient commute .;)

riley
05-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Lisa must made her own choices. IMO it is not a house anymore it is a museum and why should she live in a museum:doh:

I think Lisa has enough memories of her dad and no matter where she lives he is with her.

She will have beautiful memories of the house but also sad ones...

Life goes on. And wherever she lives I hope Lisa has found some peace and happiness

GirlHappy19
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes.I would like it very much if she lived where she was born sorrounded by love.A Presley should live in Graceland

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-20-2007, 01:41 AM
:hmm: not sure the fans would be too happy if Lisa moved into Graceland, the poor girl gets a kicking because she doesn't live up to her fathers Huge legacy.

There is no way that Graceland is a home, it is a museum pure and simple, it's way to small to be lived in and be frequented by the public!

I empaphise with Lisa, having to live within you fathers shadow and listen to people either heap praise or dismantle him must drive you insane.

Just because Lisa has come from a privileged background does not mean she can deal with her fathers legacy and the obvious short falls she has in comparison.

Merry
05-20-2007, 02:21 AM
:hmm: not sure the fans would be too happy if Lisa moved into Graceland, the poor girl gets a kicking because she doesn't live up to her fathers Huge legacy.

There is no way that Graceland is a home, it is a museum pure and simple, it's way to small to be lived in and be frequented by the public!

I emphasise with Lisa, having to live within you fathers shadow and listen to people either heap praise or dismantle him must drive you insane.

Just because Lisa has come from a privileged background does not mean she can deal with her fathers legacy and the obvious short falls she has in comparison.

If I had half the strength Lisa has, with regard to how strong she has to be, I would be happy.

Please don't knock her, you don't know what she goes through, how could you, how could I?

She loves her father, she sings, writes beautiful lyrics, she entertains to suit herself, which means she is her own woman. If she came to Australia, I'd love to see her sing in concert, and would go.

Her strength, the way she is so private with regard to her relationship with Elvis, has to be admired.

Let's be kind to one another.

Jess

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-20-2007, 02:42 AM
If I had half the strength Lisa has, with regard to how strong she has to be, I would be happy.

Please don't knock her, you don't know what she goes through, how could you, how could I?

She loves her father, she sings, writes beautiful lyrics, she entertains to suit herself, which means she is her own woman. If she came to Australia, I'd love to see her sing in concert, and would go.

Her strength, the way she is so private with regard to her relationship with Elvis, has to be admired.

Let's be kind to one another.Jess

Just where am I attacking Lisa????????????????????? :blink:

jak
05-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Just where am I attacking Lisa????????????????????? :blink:

Havent you noticed the board has a new ultra sensitive tone?How dare you imply something negative about Elvis' daughter.

ajr
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I was trying to think of a comparison ....strangers going through my home while I tried to live there.
The only thing I could come up with was when I decided I wanted to sell my house & move to a smaller one.
It was awful !! (n) People coming & going at all times of the day.
Very inconvenient to me, very disturbing to my life.
I took it off the market & I'm still here today......
Told my kids, "Sorry, but you guys are gonna have to sell it....after I die." ;)
It was just too big an aggravation to put up with!!
So, I can't imagine Lisa or anyone trying to live in that house, with people running through all the time ......it would try the patience of a saint. :)

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-20-2007, 12:28 PM
:hmm:

So, I can't imagine Lisa or anyone trying to live in that house, with people running through all the time ......it would try the patience of a saint. :)

I agree, the only way she could move into Graceland is if she completely stops the fans from coming in, relocate all of Elvis' belongings elsewhere and close the doors for good. She would never be forgiven if she did that so....... she is dammed is she does, and dammed if she doesn't!

Whatever Lisa does she will be condemned, period.

Graceland as a home is just not an option without making some tough decisions which would almost certainly naff off at least 50% of the fans.

(Please note I am NOT being Derogatory about Lisa, I am stating her case)

ajr
05-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree, the only way she could move into Graceland is if she completely stops the fans from coming in, relocate all of Elvis' belongings elsewhere and close the doors for good. She would never be forgiven if she did that so....... she is dammed is she does, and dammed if she doesn't!

Whatever Lisa does she will be condemned, period.

Graceland as a home is just not an option without making some tough decisions which would almost certainly naff off at least 50% of the fans.

I agree with you here , JJ.
It would put her in a no win situation.
Best to leave Graceland to the fans. Whether it was meant to be that way or not....it's theirs. To give credit where credit is due....;) we have Priscilla & Soden to thank for that, no matter what we think of them personally.

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with you here , JJ.
It would put her in a no win situation.
Best to leave Graceland to the fans. Whether it was meant to be that way or not....it's theirs. To give credit where credit is due....;) we have Priscilla & Soden to thank for that, no matter what we think of them personally.

I am 100% sure that the way Graceland is at the present Elvis would never have let happen if he was alive, he would have wanted it to be a family home.

But...... I will make an assumption here :blush: I certainly think given the information and the fact that his fans still flock there he would be reasonably happy with the arrangements made to date.

jak
05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
The fact that this is being discussed shows how so many fans apply their own sense of values to anything associated with Elvis.There is no way Lisa can escape her father's shadow.Why would anyone want to suggest that she live at Graceland?She is her own person.How many of us live in the same house as our parents?It's more natural to leave home and make your own life.I see no reason why Lisa would be viewed any differently.Only his fans could even suggest something like that.Graceland is where Elvis chose to live and that's where it ends.As others stated it's no longer a home but an attraction.Here is an antedote.The last time my wife was at Graceland when Elvis was there was back in 77.She met Elvis for the last time.She stood outside Graceland for nearly 20 hours to achieve that.She then followed Elvis to the airport to see him off on the final tour.After he died it took her until 2002 to go back.I finally talked her into going back for the big 25th anniverssary.The reason she never went back was because she couldnt bring herself to go.As she told me,Elvis was there when she was.When he died Graceland changed for her and many other original fans.It was to difficult to go back knowing he was gone.The place was never the same again.Im sure Lisa must have some of those same kind of feelings.
Jak

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
How many of us live in the same house as our parents?It's more natural to leave home and make your own life.I see no reason why Lisa would be viewed any differently. Graceland is where Elvis chose to live and that's where it ends. When he died Graceland changed for her and many other original fans. Jak

A lot of good comments here Jak, I agree that most kids move away from home and get there own place. The other thing that always bothers me is that Graceland is a museum, this is how (supposedly) the house looked when Elvis was alive, this is 30 years ago, if Elvis was alive his home would have changed over the years as all houses do, Graceland is a permanent reminder of a life that is no longer present, It may give comfort to Lisa, but it is not her home.

ajr
05-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Very good comments, JJ. From what I've read....Graceland isn't even decorated the same as it was 30 years ago either. Supposedly, Priscilla went in & changed it back to the way it was when she lived there.

I wouldn't go back either ,Jak until 2 years ago. I just didn't want to.
It isn't the same & never will be. But, it's something for the younger fans to see & hold on to.

But, no reason for Lisa to live there. Life goes on.
She's made her home & family, as she was meant to do.
Maybe she just needs a little closure.

franny
05-23-2007, 02:44 AM
To answer the question, should Lisa live at Graceland?

Only if she wants to, but I'm sure if she wanted to, she would have done that by now...It's not a home, I agree it's a museum...

I also think it's a place for her to visit, where she has memories, good and bad...

franny

riley
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
AJR,

I completely agree here with the following quote of you:

Very good comments, JJ. From what I've read....Graceland isn't even decorated the same as it was 30 years ago either. Supposedly, Priscilla went in & changed it back to the way it was when she lived there.

Priscilla redecorated it the way she wanted us to believe they lived like that when they were still married.:hmm:

I have my doubts it looked like that at all back then.:hmm:

I think when Elvis would return, he wouldn't even recognize his own home.;)

I think Pris indeed used pretty much the real authentic furniture but from what I have heard from different sources when Elvis and Pris lived there it did not look at all the wway it looks today.

I think Pris made it look like she wanted it to look for futur generations to come visit. What we see there, is NOT what Elvis saw living in his house.

To me a bit dissapointing. They could have left it like it was in 1977.
They say it is a time capsule and nothing has been changed...:lmfao: :lmfao:

Like hell it did.:P

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Priscilla redecorated it the way she wanted us to believe they lived like that when they were still married.:hmm:

I have my doubts it looked like that at all back then.:hmm:

I think when Elvis would return, he wouldn't even recognize his own home.;)

100% agreed Linda had graceland painted *****house red :blush: to be honest It is probably better cream!

You can see what Graceland looked like after Elvis died in "This Is Elvis"

Donut
05-23-2007, 11:42 PM
100% agreed Linda had graceland painted *****house red :blush: to be honest It is probably better cream!

I have to disagree you JJ. I like it better white and red :D plus It?s better to see the house how it was not like his ex-wife wants it to be. If you have been to Graceland I guess you have noticed the picture on the dinning room :hmm: , what a nerve she has!

Merry
05-24-2007, 12:02 AM

You have to remember, that that was the fashion. My family had interior designers in, they had feature walls, glarey wallpaper, shag carpet. (Just to mention a few rooms).

The colour schemes: Kitchen - Orange, white (the wallpaper was in your face). They had blue and red Morano glasses on display behind cabinets, colours everywhere.

Loungeroom: Had a feature wall, shag carpet, olive green SILK, yes SILK drapes (very expensive and the colour.....shivers....lol....) red loungeroom chairs.

That was the 70's. Things have to be put in context.

Elvis' was still tasteful, they kept the colours down to two or three.

I remember loving my grandparent's shag carpet (I helped choose it, it was white. They had to rake it every day, so it looked nice) and loving the lounge. Nana then changed the lounge to pink (again, very expensive, Louis xvi). Chandeliers.

I loved it, and have some of Nana's taste (not the orange colour scheme, lol) as my own taste. I love French furniture, and I have pink padded Louis chairs. My mother has pieces that belonged to Nana's family.

This taste, sorry is called "Classic". Very French. The furniture lasts generations, rather than thrown out every five years, as it is cheap and nasty furniture, generally speaking, of today.

Some of my friends weren't backwards in coming forwards in saying they didn't like my taste, yet I notice French furniture is now in fashion, has been for years, and the feature walls came back in the 80's. I also notice shag carpet appears, now and then. (I would never have feature walls, lol).

I kept Nana's silk curtains, because they mean something to me, they would be decades old, pity about the colour.

"*****house" I would think would be overdone, as they don't know what to do, they are trying to copy luxury, but are unable to. They have more than two or three colours, and have it all very dark. They are trying to fit "luxury" into small rooms, not a mansion with balance. 70% classic, 30% modern. Rules of thumb. (As is two to three colours). The "*****house" scheme, the people who choose that don't know what they are doing, whereas the Interior Decorators, of the time, created what was the fashion, witht he basic rules. People who could afford it (as did Elvis) were in fashion, simple.

Jess

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Jess I don't doubt the fashion of the 70's for one minute, I also love the decadence! Unfortunately some things stand the test of time, others don't. :supriced:

riley
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
While enterring the house the first thing that caught my eye was that picture of her and Lisa.

Altough a beautiful picture it is funny to see a picture of his ex wife at first glimpse while enterring HIS house.

That is to make sure she will always be remembered as his wife, the one and only.:P

I doubt this picture was still hanging there on such a very prominent place after their divorce:lol:

I wished Pris would give us some family pics taken in Graceland decor, then we could immediately see if it was matching the decor we see nowadays.

But isn't it strange I have "never" seen a picture of them together in what should look like the interiour we see today.:hmm: :hmm:

Riley

Miss Clawdy
05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
If I were Lisa I would live at Graceland.