PDA

View Full Version : What if .......??

ajr
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I could be Elvis Presley for awhile ??
What would I do differently ??

That's a scary thought to me. In the first place, I hate getting up in front of people, much less thousands .:blink:

I wouldn't like having all the MM around. Think I'd feel "suffocated" & the responsibility would be too great.

I need to learn to say, NO and mean it .

How can I find friends that like to talk about my interests ,instead of theirs?
That is pretty important to me....you know, to be able to feel that connectiveness as one true friend to another ??

I think I'd be better off hiring myself an attorney & business manager instead of my dad . He means well.....but, his lack of education is something I better think about ....
There's more , I'm sure . One step at a time .:)

President Presley
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
If I could be Elvis for a while I would go to rehab and
make another comeback in 1980 or something and do
a World tour... oh, and I'd sack Tom Parker ;)

Elvis_Priestly
05-03-2007, 03:00 PM
If I could be Elvis, I'd do it all the same - what would people talk about without all those controversies otherwise! :P

Donut
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Don?t take offence but my answer is nothing at all. He lived his life the way he wanted, chose his friends and women by himself ( just the way it has to be ) and sure kew what was going on with his life better than we will never know plus we are nobody to say what he should have done or not with it.

jak
05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Don?t take offence but my answer is nothing at all. He lived his life the way he wanted, chose his friends and women by himself ( just the way it has to be ) and sure kew what was going on with his life better than we will never know plus we are nobody to say what he should have done or not with it.

That's a refreshing statement.Nice comment(y)

President Presley
05-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Don't get me wrong Donut, I'm not telling Elvis how he should have lived.
It's just the way "I" would do it. I respect Elvis and the choices he made
in his life.

Donut
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Don't get me wrong Donut, I'm not telling Elvis how he should have lived.
It's just the way "I" would do it. I respect Elvis and the choices he made
in his life.

I know ;) but if we could change something in Elvis?s life it wouldn?t be his life, it would be our own life and that?s calling him brainless wich I don?t think he was.
The only thing I don?t like of him is he died so young.

ajr
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Hindsight is a good teacher . ;)

Don't take this wrong ,anyone.......but, I'm not asking what Elvis "should" or "should'nt" do .......I'm just trying to think about what I might do in his circumstances.

Run everyone off & do as I please . ;) I'm kidding in some ways, of course.
We are 2 different personalities. But, I don't like crowds, I don't like others trying to run my life ...even my family.
I would NEVER have married Priscilla or anyone until I was darn sure that's what I really wanted to do.

I would NOT have taken all the MM or anyone in & supported them. except my family......even then, they must get a job !!

I WOULD have followed through & let the Col. go......let him prove it in court if I owed him anything. I don't take threats kindly either ...

The drugs, I would have admitted myself & got off those things, if anyway possible.....of course, I've worked in hospitals all my life . I see them as helpful, IF you do what they tell you ......
OF course, it was a different time back then......maybe the Col. should have stopped threatening {money wise} & put my butt {EP} in the hospital......

Donut
05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Hindsight is a good teacher . ;)

Don't take this wrong ,anyone.......but, I'm not asking what Elvis "should" or "should'nt" do .......I'm just trying to think about what I might do in his circumstances.

Run everyone off & do as I please . ;) I'm kidding in some ways, of course.
We are 2 different personalities. But, I don't like crowds, I don't like others trying to run my life ...even my family.
I would NEVER have married Priscilla or anyone until I was darn sure that's what I really wanted to do.

I would NOT have taken all the MM or anyone in & supported them. except my family......even then, they must get a job !!

I WOULD have followed through & let the Col. go......let him prove it in court if I owed him anything. I don't take threats kindly either ...

The drugs, I would have admitted myself & got off those things, if anyway possible.....of course, I've worked in hospitals all my life . I see them as helpful, IF you do what they tell you ......
OF course, it was a different time back then......maybe the Col. should have stopped threatening {money wise} & put my butt {EP} in the hospital......

Ok I understand what you say but you have to realise that all those things that we would do or not is what makes Elvis so special and if you choose another kind of friends ie. it would be your like on friends not his.

Elvis_Priestly
05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok I understand what you say but you have to realise that all those things that we would do or not is what makes Elvis so special and if you choose another kind of friends ie. it would be your like on friends not his.

True enough Donut: if any of us were Elvis we'd probably be enjoying the 7th year of our retirement from truck driving with a Bud in one hand remote control in the other and the wife, Laverne, creaming corn in the kitchen of our bungalow so it don't stick in our teeth (3rd set!)

ajr
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Donut ...

Yes, so you see I'm admitting his "weakness". ;)

He wasn't god-like. I believe he "thought" he needed those guys. They were "bought & paid for." It was just as much my {EP} fault as theirs.
In later life; I believe he saw that. The many referencences of " who loves me for myself & not just because I'm Elvis "? He searched for that....I'm not sure he ever found that kind of love. That is what's sad to me.
I don't believe he ever felt "loved" just because .....something we all search for. It was the IMAGE that was fostered on him, but I don't believe he ever learned to accept that people loved him for himself.....yes, even some of the MM.;) When you feel such insecurity ; how can you ever be happy & grow??
They all appear to be insecure southern boys . It wouldn't have hurt any of them to have had some in-depth counseling , IMO.

Though I wasn't an Elvis fan back then......I can't help wondering .....is part of how he felt, the fans fault?? I'll accept a part of that......

Burning_Love
05-03-2007, 04:52 PM
If i was Elvis i would take advice from Sonny and Red West when they wrote that book 'Elvis what happened' and have stopped using drugs (although they were prescribed) and persuaded my lost love Debra Paget, to marry me.
But i'm a girl so that's hard ! :king:

ajr
05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
If i was Elvis i would take advice from Sonny and Red West when they wrote that book 'Elvis what happened' and have stopped using drugs (although they were prescribed) and persuaded my lost love Debra Paget, to marry me.
But i'm a girl so that's hard ! :king:

Elvis should have faced himself long before the Wests wrote that book.

I remember Debra ....:) I thought Priscilla looked kinda like her.
Debra married twice in EP's lifetime, but not for long.
then she married & had one son.....she's since divorced this one too.
Who knows, maybe they should have been together.....;)

Diane
05-03-2007, 06:00 PM
What if I were Elvis Presley what would I have done differently? Not a thing...I would have been a product of his environment and his upbringing and everything would have turned out just exactly the way it did for him.

Diane

srj1967
05-03-2007, 06:28 PM
If I were Elvis Presley, I would have quit the business altogether the SECOND I met Ann-Margret.

Then, I'd spend the rest of my life with her and not give two stuffs about anyone else!

I wouldn't need or want for anything or anyone ever again.

Mmmmmmm ... Ann-Margret. :blush: :blush: :'( (y) :blush: :blush:

Or maybe that's just the fantasy for my life, and not my life if I were Elvis!

Either way: Mmmmmmm ... Ann-Margret.

ajr
05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I've always loved Ann Margaret .
Besides being very attractive, she seems like she was a good ole gal.;)
She still entertains , you know. She was in Branson, Mo. not too long ago....singing with Andy Williams.

srj1967
05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'll be in Vegas next month. I wanted to see AM but it looks as if she isn't doing any shows right now.

So I settled for the king of kitsch, and will see Wayne Newton at HARRAH's.

I was hoping to see a show in the Hilton showroom where Elvis performed. Barry Manilow plays there, but he's not playing for the three nights I'm staying. I managed to get one night staying at the Hilton (it's booked up for a convention the other two nights) and I am going to try and ask a staffmember if they can sneak me in to the show room to have a look ...

ajr
05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Have fun, sjr . ;) I was in Vegas many moons ago....I just didn't like it .
I know, I'm weird.;) Maybe, if Elvis had been there......

I have some relatives that go to Vegas every year. I like the ocean......:)

Diane
05-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Re-reading my post I felt like a spoil sport and I'm sorry ajr, let me do this right.

I'm going to do this in a fantasy way because I can't truly picture any of us handling his life under the circumstances any different than what he did... so:

Okay, first of all I would marry someone like me :) (never mind Ann Margaret), no other women, no abusing of drugs, only two bodyguards hanging around and have an agent with a broader more modern mind than the Colonel. I'd have two children (a boy and a girl), keep right on performing as usual as I don't believe that a god given gift as he had should be wasted and not shared with the world.

I would retire at the age of 55 and keep Graceland for my summer home, have another one in Hawaii for the winters and live happily ever after until God saw fit to take me away.

Diane

KPM
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Maybe kept driving the truck and became an electrician. Good money to be made as a union electrician;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think I would have changed a thing...... Elvis was Elvis, if I changed anything would that change who he was?

It's hard to say, I know how I would have like everything to have ended............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

ajr
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
But, IF we don't change who he was.....
how am I to get him to live ?? ;) It's a thought .....

Diane
05-04-2007, 01:41 AM
He does live in our hearts just the way he was.........Diane

ajr
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Agreed .Diane .

It would just be so nice to see him at 72. ;)
I guess some wouldn't like it.....but, I've always loved "old folks & kids".
Just trying to see if he made "wiser " decisions & different "friends" if he would still be around & if his fans would still love him....:hmm:
What a nice thought ......

desiree
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
If I were Elvis Presley, I would have quit the business altogether the SECOND I met Ann-Margret.

Then, I'd spend the rest of my life with her and not give two stuffs about anyone else!

I wouldn't need or want for anything or anyone ever again.

Mmmmmmm ... Ann-Margret. :blush: :blush: :'( (y) :blush: :blush:

Or maybe that's just the fantasy for my life, and not my life if I were Elvis!

Either way: Mmmmmmm ... Ann-Margret.

Good one!(y) :lol:

Lisarose
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think that I could be as successful as Elvis & be humble - so I think I'd have to move to the Hill Country in Texas & just played in smaller venues - honky tonks, and I would definitely given a go at writing my own music, but it may be more towards Paul Simon or Bob Dylan than the person who wrote the best Elvis Rockiin' songs,

Tigerman1975
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
if I were Elvis, I would have took two years off to clean up my act. Then I would stripped everything bare. I would have wore 2 piece suits and cut a "comeback" album of gospel tinged numbers. Just Elvis, the piano and maybe a few musicians. No orchestras. In the 80's, I would have done more of an "unplugged" type thing and dropped the huge 70's stage show.

Diane
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
That's true but that god given voice kept spurring him in a different direction. Too bad he couldn't be satisfied just singing for friends and family. Too bad for us though to have missed out on something that fantastic. Being anything but what he wasn't meant to be.

monk37
11-19-2010, 11:44 PM
if any of us had been Elvis, then nothing would be different, since being Elvis, we'd have made the same choices.

funnily enough, so did the impersonator who goes back in time, kills Elvis and takes his place in that Twilight Zone episode

KPM
11-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I think I would have not hired Col Parker and retained more creative control over my career, perhaps I would not have made as much money-or maybe I would have made more in the long run...... since I would have had more control over my creativity and less worry about the restrictions that Parker drilled into me as necessities for a long career.