PDA

View Full Version : Excerpt from Sonny West's new book...

Pages : [1] 2

franny
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
This was on EIN...

franny

The following excerpt (click on the link below) from "Elvis Still Taking Care of Business" has been sent to a number of Elvis websites including EIN. We will have two more excerpts from Sonny's book shortly.

Sonny's book is due for release next month in hardcover format. It has 400 pages.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/sonnywestexcerpt1.html

JDD
04-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, I was all for buying the book before but if its going to talk Politics maybe I'll pass. I always enjoyed the fact Elvis kept that as he said "to myself" . I like
Elvis as much as anyone else here but I don't care to Hear what Sonny thinks Elvis would have thought about the War or any other current politics. Elvis is a place I go to escape from that stuff. I hope that what is said there is the extent of that topic in this book , if it isn't I'll pass.

franny
04-19-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't think it will be about politics at all really, it looks like Sonny West is just mentioning a few different things in general...

I think it will be interesting to read what he has to say! Last time, he wrote a book, it was more out of bitterness, but this time should be different...

franny

Merry
04-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Wonderful, let's hope this is the beginning of healing wounds and mending fences.

Sonny is obviously very much the man, to be admitting what he did, and fixing it.

Jess

Lisarose
04-19-2007, 04:48 AM
At first, I thought "Oh no!!!" but now it sounds like a "maybe" for me, I'll put it in my Amazon.com wish list & think about it some more. Will be keeping in touch to get forum reader reviews.

Geoff the Chef
04-19-2007, 05:27 AM
sounds like a book i'll enjoy reading -actually!

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
From the small excerpt you can see there is humility between the lines, I really am looking forward to reading this book. I for one hope that Sonny Strikes a balance and doesn't go down the road of saccharin :hmm:

riley
04-19-2007, 08:22 AM
The little piece I read, I liked very much.
Hope I will be able to buy it.

Thanks Franny, for sharing.:D

elvislady
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the link franny i will read some reviews on this one.
elvislady:)

Diane
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks Franny for posting information on Sonny's new book. It sounds like one I would be interested in reading for sure.....Diane

U.S. Male
04-19-2007, 01:38 PM
After having a pretty lengthy discussion with Sonny a couple of months ago, I believe the fans will find this book quite interesting and worth reading.(y)

Donut
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I was going to buy it anyway if not just for Sonny not being associated with EPE and not having to meassure what he tells.

Jungleroom76
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Sounds like it will be a very interesting book! I was planning on reading it when it came out anyway, but now that I've read the excerpt, it really does sound like Sonny is trying to set the record straight, so to speak... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Merry
04-22-2007, 08:50 AM
After having a pretty lengthy discussion with Sonny a couple of months ago, I believe the fans will find this book quite interesting and worth reading.(y)

Hi Steve,

Can you share a bit more? lol :clap:

Kind wishes,
Jess

Lion
04-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Sonny was close to Elvis for many years. Despite of the Elvis What Happened-story, I think he loved Elvis and really cared for him. I?ll definately get his new book.

Donut
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone read this book yet ?

U.S. Male
05-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Steve,

Can you share a bit more? lol :clap:

Kind wishes,
Jess

I'll let Sonny do that lol:lol:

I received an email from him this morning, and I'll be having him join us on the radio again sometime in the next month or so, so keep a watch out.

TCE
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I had to laugh when I read about the part of when Elvis was angry. It sounded sooo familiar. I know some people too that have the same emotions. They are caring and everything, but don't make them angry! So I don't think Elvis was an exception to the rule for as we know he could be very emotional.

Christel (TCE)

mislulu
05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for the info. I will looking forward to it! :clap:

HOLYSMOKE
05-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I?ve bought this book last week in Memphis. So far, its one of better books written by a Maffia member, and, in my opinion, mucht better that Jerry Schillings book. Lots of great stories, only dissapointing were the pictures. Most of them are very familiar. But, i?m sure lots of Elvis fans will love this book. And Sonny sounds very sincere.(y) (y) (y)

ajr
05-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm really glad to hear this about Sonny's book.
Promised a friend of mine I'd read it & give him a chance.;)

I hope I like it as well........:)
Right now, I'm reading the policemans book.
Not bad, not bad at all.

HOLYSMOKE
05-05-2007, 08:00 AM
For me, one of the most interesting chapters is one of the last ones, which is about the other Maffia members, and what they are doing today ( that is, if they are still alive). Its also better for Priscilla fans:blink: NOT to buy the book......:P :P

ajr
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, maybe I could just read the last chapter ? ;)

HOLYSMOKE
05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, maybe I could just read the last chapter ? ;)

hahaha, yes thats possible but then you?ll miss a lot of other great stories!:)

Trev1
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I intend to get this book - hope its a good read! (y)

Tony Trout
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
I got the book a week or so ago and have not put it down....it's definitely a MUST READ!!!

Kudos to Sonny for setting the record straight in regards to EWH!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

U.S. Male
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
There's one part of the book that had be laughing hysterically, and it's where he talks about Elvis' monkey "Scatter", and how one time Elvis hid the monkey in a guest room while this couple were in there lol:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:, and also how Scatter would go after women.....some funny material:D

Burning_Love
07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I look foward to buying it. My grandad has met Sonny Several times and he likes him. I like Sonny. This book looks funny. I bet he has some amazing stories to tell (y) :king:

presley
07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I will skip on buying sonny's book...

riley
07-19-2007, 10:05 PM
me too.

By the way what did he tell about Pris.

I'm curious:hmm:

Burning_Love
07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Me too Riley, actually ! :king:

07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Without getting into the whole Priscilla thing.....Sonny doesen't like her and he doesen't really hide his feelings in the book.

presley
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Without getting into the whole Priscilla thing.....Sonny doesen't like her and he doesen't really hide his feelings in the book.

I can't seem to hide my feelings from sonny either, and l bet priscilla doesn't like him either.:doh:

07-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Theres always two sides to every story.

His book is a good read....even for those who don't like Sonny.

Personally I think Sonny is a good guy.

Tony Trout
07-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Theres always two sides to every story.

His book is a good read....even for those who don't like Sonny.

Personally I think Sonny is a good guy.

I agree....Sonny finally sets the record straight on EWH as well....give the guy a chance...geez.....it's been thirty years....that's too darn long to hold a grudge against someone we really don't even know personally....we only know him because of his association with Elvis....from what I've heard from other people (and I get the same feeling from reading the book) is that Sonny West truly loved Elvis and still does and deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened".

But then again...some people's opinion of Sonny will never change no matter how much good you say about him...

elvislady
07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
http://www.elvisinternational.com/Interviews/sonnywestinterview.html

here is a interview with sonny, its in to parts.
thanks for the link franny.
elvislady:D

franny
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
You're welcome, elvislady! (y)

Thanks, for posting the link to Sonny's interview! :clap:

cheers,
franny :)

presley
07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
sonny will never be a good guy in my eyes.

ksimms2
07-20-2007, 07:02 PM
I thought that was nice...not too political in my opinion at all...and yes I'd like to read this book. Thanks for sharing..

Kelly

jak
07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree....Sonny finally sets the record straight on EWH as well....give the guy a chance...geez.....it's been thirty years....that's too darn long to hold a grudge against someone we really don't even know personally....we only know him because of his association with Elvis....from what I've heard from other people (and I get the same feeling from reading the book) is that Sonny West truly loved Elvis and still does and deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened".

But then again...some people's opinion of Sonny will never change no matter how much good you say about him...

You make some good comments and I agree with them.Sonny was a good friend to Elvis.It's impossible for him to be judged fairly by so many fans.Im guessing many of them probably never even read EWH.To many he was just a backstabber who betrayed Elvis and they are content with that image whether it's completely deserved or not.
Jak

meg
07-21-2007, 07:54 AM
deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened".

Oh no he didn?t(n) Who believes that is gullible(n)

CRITTERGITTER
07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry I'm one of those awful people who holds a grudge for 30 years, but why didn't he put up a website and tell his story, one chapter at a time, for free.. I'm tired of being nickled and dimed by the people who love Elvis and want to share it for a price. Or how about giving the money to one of Elvis' charities.

I can forgive, I just have a hard time forgetting.

SweetCaroline
07-21-2007, 11:05 PM
deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened".

Oh no he didn?t(n) Who believes that is gullible(n)

IMO it is a GUILTY conscience he is trying to clear before his days here on earth are up.

presley
07-22-2007, 12:00 AM
l'am not going to forgive him anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!!

SweetCaroline
07-22-2007, 02:30 AM
I listened to the dull interview. I love learning everything little thing I can about ELVIS :king: and have for 51 of my 60 years, but found it hard to even keep my eyes open during that boring interview, except to roll them now and then at Sonny. :lol: My take on the interview was that Sonny wanted to talk more about himself and put himself in good light than he wanted to give a better impression of ELVIS to people.

My folks taught me something many moons ago...if a person keeps saying, "It isn't about the money".....it's about the money.
In Sonny's case he kept saying about "ELvis What Happened"..."It wasn't about revenge" ................IMO same theory applies.

08-01-2007, 08:45 PM
IMO it is a GUILTY conscience he is trying to clear before his days here on earth are up.

lol

And being turfed out by your employers father with a few weeks pay is perfectly fine?

Some poeple here need to wise up. Elvis had a problem and Priscilla and his father didn't help him. In fact he didn't want help to stop it - he was an addict.

Red beat someone pretty bad who was giving Elvis the stuff.

Marty wrote a letter to hime after he got off the drugs and Elvis blew up saying no one tells Elvis Presley what to do or how to live his life.

Elvis was no saint. I am a great fan of his, but not blinkered to the truth.

Red, Sonny and Dave were sacked becasue they were causing too much trouble, being too heavy with the fans and Elvis wa settling with the fans who were hurt. Elvis had a cash-flow problem, intensified by Priscilla who demanded more money through her lawyer for the divorce than she had agreed with Elvis.

Elvis had to take the 73' deal with RCA to have enough liquid cash to pay Priscilla off ( and im oh so delighted how through that she has now screwed herself out of millions!! ) and he wasn't exactly as flush as he had been.

I'm not excusing the book - but - Elvis was pr*ck to sack them the way he did.

srj1967
08-01-2007, 08:52 PM
l'am not going to forgive him anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonny West did nothing to you ... so the matter of forgiveness from you, Presley, and all of you others *****ing and moaning is moot.

So, he helped write a book that was less-than-flattering about Elvis. It was 30 years ago.

Live with it.

Forgiveness is only a right for people actually involved in a dispute, which none of us were.

And no ... Sonny offending you as a fan is NOT enough to warrant your not "forgiving" him either!

Tony Trout
08-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Sonny West did nothing to you ... so the matter of forgiveness from you, Presley, and all of you others *****ing and moaning is moot.

So, he helped write a book that was less-than-flattering about Elvis. It was 30 years ago.

Live with it.

Forgiveness is only a right for people actually involved in a dispute, which none of us were.

And no ... Sonny offending you as a fan is NOT enough to warrant your not "forgiving" him either!

Best post I've read in this thread....totally agree!!

TLC67
08-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I bought the book and thought it was great.
If you are one of those who think E was a sweet lil angel you'd better stay away from it. It tells it like it is (was), yet doesn't leave you thinking any less of our man.
Actually, it lets you see the he was real flesh and blood, and had to deal with more than any person should have to. Right or wrong, he dealt with it his way. Just like the song says.
In the book, Sonny speaks of the closeness that was shared between the MM and Elvis; the good and the bad. Anybody that has had very close friends that you've grown up with or siblings know all about fighting and making up over and over again.
That is the feel that I get from the book. Even through tumultous times, the love never went away on either side.
I know there is a big difference in the way Southerners think than some other parts of the country. Maybe that is why some just can't see it.?

Merry
08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
lol

And being turfed out by your employers father with a few weeks pay is perfectly fine?

Well, I would have.

That's all required by law, two weeks notice. They were employees, afterall.

Are you in business for yourself?

KPM
08-02-2007, 01:38 AM
IMO there were all kinds of motives for writing the book 30 years ago. Not all of them noble. Sonny said something about presenting Elvis with a challenge 30 years ago-that the reason for writing it was to challenge Elvis to straighten out. That was one reason for writing it but not the prime reason. All the other reasons are pretty obvious and have been discussed to death. I am not a Sonny fan, nor any of the others who have written books. I am an Elvis fan. But I wish these guys no ill. They do- what they do. To be clear though, I did not listen to Elvis the first time and go:
"Wow I wonder if Sonny West has anything to do with this song"
Even when I became aware of who all these guys were I never gave them much thought-Elvis is who I watched and listened to. His talent did not spring from them not were they essential to his movies or recordings.
If his new book is successful more power to him. If he is trying to give a more balanced version of his association to Elvis thats great. I really don't care that much. I use to buy every book written about Elvis now I get them at the library and save my money. That money will be spent on Elvis cds and videos-on the talent which made me a fan. In the last 30 years how many "my association with Elvis" books have been written by how many people? Hundreds! The 100% truth will never be found in them.(good or bad) Elvis's point of view is never represented-I have said this before-He would have one also. On many things I give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-as I would to anyone who never gets to give their version when accusations are made. That does not make me naive. Like I said-IMO- we do not have to rehash the same things over and over. Everyone has the right to an opinion. If you think by making someone mad you change minds to your point of view-you're wrong.

Merry
08-02-2007, 01:42 AM
IMO there were all kinds of motives for writing the book 30 years ago. Not all of them noble. Sonny said something about presenting Elvis with a challenge 30 years ago-that the reason for writing it was to challenge Elvis to straighten out. That was one reason for writing it but not the prime reason. All the other reasons are pretty obvious and have been discussed to death. I am not a Sonny fan, nor any of the others who have written books. I am an Elvis fan. But I wish these guys no ill. They do- what they do. To be clear though, I did not listen to Elvis the first time and go:
Even when I became aware of who all these guys were I never gave them much thought-Elvis is who I watched and listened to. His talent did not spring from them not were they essential to his movies or recordings.
If his new book is successful more power to him. If he is trying to give a more balanced version of his association to Elvis thats great. I really don't care that much. I use to buy every book written about Elvis now I get them at the library and save my money. That money will be spent on Elvis cds and videos-on the talent which made me a fan. In the last 30 years how many "my association with Elvis" books have been written by how many people? Hundreds! The 100% truth will never be found in them.(good or bad) Elvis's point of view is never represented-I have said this before-He would have one also. On many things I give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-as I would to anyone who never gets to give their version when accusations are made. That does not make me naive. Like I said-IMO- we do not have to rehash the same things over and over. Everyone has the right to an opinion. If you think by making someone mad you change minds to your point of view-you're wrong.

I think I need to just say: "Like KPM said (or will say)" lol

Hugs,
Jess

4THEHEART
08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
what about those MM's drug stories??..who will write their books I wonder..no one of course,no one cares to read their stories so they are safe..oh pardon me they were cleeaaannnn guys of course..and I see again there's no concern about Elvis's health condition at that time and how he was cornered by plain thieves trying to suck his blood empty with that so called bussiness thing,lawsuits,an his ex in need of more millions,plus problems only he could've known..no mercy for Elvis again,why should anyone,he was rich, famous and spoiled :rolleyes:..
they better be thankfull Elvis didn't chase all of these people round the world,with a samurai sword in his hand..and those poor cousins,I bet he was going to take them back even though they didn't deserve this.. but they chose to be the victim of their own greed.now they're talkin about loyalty and friendship..

Merry
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
what about those MM's drug stories??..who will write their books I wonder..no one of course,no one cares to read their stories so they are safe..oh pardon me they were cleeaaannnn guys of course..and I see again there's no concern about Elvis's health condition at that time and how he was cornered by plain thieves trying to suck his blood empty with that so called bussiness thing,lawsuits,an his ex in need of more millions,plus problems only he could've known..no mercy for Elvis again,why should anyone,he was rich, famous and spoiled :rolleyes:..
they better be thankfull Elvis didn't chase all of these people round the world,with a samurai sword in his hand..and those poor cousins,I bet he was going to take them back even though they didn't deserve this.. but they chose to be the victim of their own greed.now they're talkin about loyalty and friendship..

Well said, as always.

This is the thing, In my opinion, EPE has too much class to throw around the applicable words re what they were up to.

Sometimes I'm tempted to throw a few out there, (from what I was told) at times like this. Give some balance, be fair.

4TheHeart, from Elvis' friend, it was said that Elvis ALWAYS took people back, THEY KNEW THAT, Vernon ALWAYS DID THE HIRING AND FIRING, they knew that, nothing was different.

Jess

4THEHEART
08-02-2007, 02:30 AM
yes Jess,he was his father after all,no matter how they didn't agree on everything many times,different characters it seems..yet, he had to give some responsibility to mr. Presley..and as I said before, Elvis was noble and forgiving,not that playful kid only..wish he was here so there wouldn't be those fights,arguments,and empty talks we talk sometimes..he was a man of peace and love yes he was a marksman and was good at using guns as well(so was the cupid;)),a harmless one as long as you are not some kinda furniture:lol:.
anyway, what I believe is he wasn't treated as he treated others..what a shame..and what I see and read most of the time,is nothing he deserved after all that happiness he gave us..I know how much I owe him..

Merry
08-02-2007, 02:33 AM
yes Jess,he was his father after all,no matter how they didn't agree on everything many times,different characters it seems he had to give some responsibility to mr. Presley..and as I said before, Elvis was noble and forgiving,not that playful kid only..wish he was here so there wouldn't be those fights,arguments,and empty talks we talk sometimes..he was a man of peace and love yes he was a marksman and was good at using guns as well(so was the cupid;)),a harmless one as long as you are not some kinda furniture:lol:.
anyway, what I believe is he wasn't treated as he treated others..and what I see and read most of the time,is nothing he deserved after all that happiness he gave us..I know how much I owe him..

Yes ........ :'(

Jess

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Just to give a Real balanced view :P if Elvis had written a book such as this, would he be forgiven? My point is Elvis is just as human as Sonny.

I find it inexplicable that so much hate and bile is levelled at Sonny :supriced: yes he wrote a book, and very probably for all the wrong reasons, however, given the same set of circumstances many of us would find ourselves falling short. Quite why people feel able to judge Sonny based on a book sensationalised by some scumbag co-writer 30 odd years ago makes me shudder.

We have all done things in haste and had plenty of time to repent at leisure, I have seen many interviews with Sonny putting a very positive side to Elvis, I have no reason to believe that Sonny hated Elvis, he just felt after years of loyal service that he should have been treated differently, loyalty works both ways, respect works both ways, you cannot treat people in a certain way and expect them not to feel hurt or react (rightly or wrongly) to a perceived injustice. If Sonny thought he was going to be re-hired shortly after being fired would he have written a book?

It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid :supriced:

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Well, I would have.

That's all required by law, two weeks notice. They were employees, afterall.

Are you in business for yourself?

The above statement is just cold, they were more than employees! If this is the mentality that was used by Elvis and Vernon, then surely they shouldn't have expected any loyalty from employees who had worked for them for 20 years and just cut loose like that.

Again, if Elvis was treated this way would that be acceptable?

Merry
08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
The above statement is just cold, they were more than employees! If this is the mentality that was used by Elvis and Vernon, then surely they shouldn't have expected any loyalty from employees who had worked for them for 20 years and just cut loose like that.

Again, if Elvis was treated this way would that be acceptable?

Let me throw some words around. Drugs, attempted rape, plus others.

jak
08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
"It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid"

This is the message I have always tried to convey here on this board.Youre statement is 100% accurate.Everybody has a good and bad side including Elvis.Elvis had a wicked temper.He could be the biggest jerk of them all at times.That shouldnt surprise or upset anyone.My wife will say the same thing about me from time to time.He was no different than anyone else.He put his pants on one leg at a time.Many fans refuse to believe that no matter what they say.
Jak

Merry
08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
"It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid"

This is the message I have always tried to convey here on this board.Youre statement is 100% accurate.Everybody has a good and bad side including Elvis.Elvis had a wicked temper.He could be the biggest jerk of them all at times.That shouldnt surprise or upset anyone.My wife will say the same thing about me from time to time.He was no different than anyone else.He put his pants on one leg at a time.Many fans refuse to believe that no matter what they say.
Jak

Gosh, I've said this before if I ever met the "perfect man" I wouldn't know what to do! lol (As per most women). :supriced: :P (kidding! :clap:).

In my opinion, and generally speaking, it is because Elvis is judged under a microscope, and some pretty stupid things that were written about him, are repeated, that is why people defend him, and rightly so. (y)

Jess

08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
[quote=4THEHEART;124685]what about those MM's drug stories??..who will write their books I wonder..no one of course,no one cares to read their stories so they are safe..oh pardon me they were cleeaaannnn guys of course.quote]

If you knew what you are talking about you would realise that some of the guys had drug problems as well.

08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Just to give a Real balanced view :P if Elvis had written a book such as this, would he be forgiven? My point is Elvis is just as human as Sonny.

I find it inexplicable that so much hate and bile is levelled at Sonny :supriced: yes he wrote a book, and very probably for all the wrong reasons, however, given the same set of circumstances many of us would find ourselves falling short. Quite why people feel able to judge Sonny based on a book sensationalised by some scumbag co-writer 30 odd years ago makes me shudder.

We have all done things in haste and had plenty of time to repent at leisure, I have seen many interviews with Sonny putting a very positive side to Elvis, I have no reason to believe that Sonny hated Elvis, he just felt after years of loyal service that he should have been treated differently, loyalty works both ways, respect works both ways, you cannot treat people in a certain way and expect them not to feel hurt or react (rightly or wrongly) to a perceived injustice. If Sonny thought he was going to be re-hired shortly after being fired would he have written a book?

It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid :supriced:

Well said.

We are all Elvis fans, perhaps if some read about things Elvis has sone that were less than 'acceptable' they would change their opinions.

No need to go into things Elvis did, we are all his fans, but this hatred towards Sonny and co...I find amazing....especially when people refuse to look at both sides of the story!

08-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Jak

Well said... Elvis was a man who possessed enormous ability and generosity as we all know.

He was not messianic and by all accounts and purposes was someone that you would not want to be around at certain times.....especially when that temper started to flair!!!

08-02-2007, 12:57 PM

A few questions....

Have you read Elvis What Happened?

Have you read any books from the Memphis Mafia re their time with Elvis?

Where are you getting your information from? Books? Articles? Word of Mouth?

I'm open to have a discussion about this topic, a mature adult conversation.

So....if you are willing to partake, please tell me what you think happened and where you are getting the information from??

It's just difficult to discuss things such as EWH, Sonny Book or anythign to do with the MM unless they actaully know what it is they are referring to. Watching people wade into a conversation with an opinion based on emotions with little or no fact to substantiate them is laborious for all concerned.

srj1967
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Let me throw some words around. Drugs, attempted rape, plus others.

Elvis was involved in both of these things.

And so were some of the MM ... just what is your point here anyway??

srj1967
08-02-2007, 01:42 PM

And what's wrong with that? I'm not religious, but isn't that what people are meant to do?

I've met Sonny and talked with him extensively.

He loved Elvis then, and still does.

He admits that part of the reason for EWH was revenge. And after how Elvis and Vernon treated him, who are any of you to judge?

His and Red's main motivation, I believe, for the original book was to shock Elvis into waking up to how he was killing himself. The book should have been written even 10 years earlier - then maybe Elvis would still be alive and kicking. Dave Hebler, IMO, was part of it just for revenge.

EWH was hijacked by Aussie journalist Steve Dunlevy, and the original intention behind the book was lost to journalistic sensationalism. And, after 30 years, cannot figure out for the life of me why so many people cannot accept that there was a lot of truth in the book. Yes, much was exaggerated and a few long bows were drawn, but it was essentially accurate - at least as Red, Sonny and Dave saw things.

And I wonder how many of you bagging Sonny's latest book have actually taken the time out to read the bloody thing? Good luck to him, I say. I picked up the book in Memphis, but haven't read it yet.

Sonny is basically a good man: he was there, folks, and knew Elvis better than most. Remember that while you adore your Wanda June Hill-type crap.

TLC67
08-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Well said! I agree 100%!(y)

presley31
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
That was very well said KPM.

Diane
08-02-2007, 02:12 PM
The world needs more of this kind of thinking - thank you KPM (y)

Diane

Trev1
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
sonny will never be a good guy in my eyes.

Why? No ones perfect or completely good in my opinion, everyone has faults.... even Elvis (i.e. firing a pool cue at a female for no good reason - one of the storys in Sonnys book). Don't get me wrong i'm a HUGE Elvis fan but he was Human just like all of us and Sonny!

presley31
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Why? No ones perfect or completely good in my opinion, everyone has faults.... even Elvis (i.e. firing a pool cue at a female for no good reason - one of the storys in Sonnys book). Don't get me wrong i'm a HUGE Elvis fan but he was Human just like all of us and Sonny!

I don't like him plain and simple, He should get a life and stop living off elvis memories.

Trev1
08-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't like him plain and simple, He should get a life and stop living off elvis memories.

Whatever you say.......I give up !! (y)

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
And what's wrong with that? I'm not religious, but isn't that what people are meant to do?

I've met Sonny and talked with him extensively.

He loved Elvis then, and still does.

He admits that part of the reason for EWH was revenge. And after how Elvis and Vernon treated him, who are any of you to judge?

His and Red's main motivation, I believe, for the original book was to shock Elvis into waking up to how he was killing himself. The book should have been written even 10 years earlier - then maybe Elvis would still be alive and kicking. Dave Hebler, IMO, was part of it just for revenge.

EWH was hijacked by Aussie journalist Steve Dunlevy, and the original intention behind the book was lost to journalistic sensationalism. And, after 30 years, cannot figure out for the life of me why so many people cannot accept that there was a lot of truth in the book. Yes, much was exaggerated and a few long bows were drawn, but it was essentially accurate - at least as Red, Sonny and Dave saw things.

And I wonder how many of you bagging Sonny's latest book have actually taken the time out to read the bloody thing? Good luck to him, I say. I picked up the book in Memphis, but haven't read it yet.

Sonny is basically a good man: he was there, folks, and knew Elvis better than most. Remember that while you adore your Wanda June Hill-type crap.

Wait a second, to say that Steve Dunleavy hijacked E-What Happened is bull in my opinion. I'm sure they seen the final draft before printing started, and if not, then shame on them, then they deserve the backlash they've gotten and continue to get from EP fans. Their main objective was money, first and foremost, if it helped Elvis, that would have been a bonus. Lets say that even if Vernon would have given them the proper two weeks notice, financially, how much of a difference would that of made? Bottom line, while the last couple of years had been a bit rough as far as EP's erractic behaviour went, so went all of the perks and their ace in the hole, EP, knowing if they ever needed anything, he would help them out. They lost that security.

jak
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Im not sure that money was the main objective.Dont forget that Elvis tried to pay them off and they refused.For the fans that doubt the book I would say Elvis' actions say more about the authenticity than anything.Elvis was lucky he was able to maintain that veil of secrecy around his life for as long as he did.
Jak

08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Im not sure that money was the main objective.Dont forget that Elvis tried to pay them off and they refused.For the fans that doubt the book I would say Elvis' actions say more about the authenticity than anything.Elvis was lucky he was able to maintain that veil of secrecy around his life for as long as he did.
Jak

Yeah Elvis did try and buy them off for the book.

He would probabaly be sueing Wanda's old *** if he was alive now! lol

Joe Car
08-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Jak

What Elvis offered them was miniscule compared to the million dollars each that they would make, plus I'm sure a hefty advance they each received!

KPM
08-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I think it would have been better if they had found a better co-author. Dunleavy is a muckraker his claim to fame was working as a chief reporter for the Star tabloid rag. His name alone should have alerted these guys to the type of journalism he practiced. How and why they decided on him is a good question. If they were duped into using him thats one thing. Everyone gets the wool pulled over their eyes now and then. If they used him because of his muckraking type of journalism, that would be a different story. All I know is the story as he told was not balanced. It was far from it.
You know I think everyone here knows Elvis was not perfect. He did have a huge temper, he did have problems with drugs, etc in his last few years he was obviously tired and running on empty. But those last years were not his whole life. (just as EWH is not Sonnys whole story) Elvis was a man of extremes who did everything to the max. When he was generous it was to extremes, when he was mad it was to extremes. (But from many things I've read he was quick to get over the storm.) Its only when someone insinuates he was completely out of control his whole life that bothers me. I have known druggies who were out of control ( some in my family)-they could not keep a job of any kind -let alone make 33 movies as Elvis did. They could not remember their last meal let alone memorize scripts or song lyrics. They did not have much coordination, sometimes had trouble walking distances-let alone practice karate or do movie stunts. There whole life was drugs.
So for most of Elvis's life I would say he did pretty well-on balance.
But why this leads to confrontational tones everytime a topic is led down this path is a good question. You are not going to change anyones minds by arguing. So agree to disagree and let it go.

presley31
08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree with you 100% KPM

Diane
08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Amen KPM (y)

Diane

4THEHEART
08-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Well well, 034,so you ask me to produce a diploma with an Elvis degree on it
Yes Dr,I too read books(not only look at the pictures):blink:even though it was almost impossible to find books about Elvis where I live, specially the ones I want..Elvis items were never popular here in Turkey.and that famous book was belong to a friend of mine who was on a visit and reading it..sorry I can't give you enough description about it if it was the first or second edition or how it smelled..I guess it wasin 1983..what I can say is the style was very tabloid,sensationalistic,cheap I mean..I never asked her for the book after she finished it,to read the rest..no not as you'd think, it wasn't the negativity I couldn't stand,cause till that day all I heard about him was that he was a package of odds,all the terrible things a human being can be and it was that Elvis I bacame a fan of(late77)without seeing any of his movies,any footage or enough pictures to be a "hero crazy" some of you think I am..in years I found some other books such as Mr.EParker's,L Gellers,Guralnick's(last train..)J,Juanico's some chronoligical books,EPFC of GB mags..but none of them became my Elvis lecturers..His music was the source I got my beliefs of him the man the person,not the image the hero...on the contrary,its not me seeing him as the Icon but most of the time you do that and judge him according iconic standarts..forgetting his human sides,human vulnerabilty,human needs and how a good level he came as a human being,again not as a star,king whatever you call it..
as for your question..yes I sometimes know what I'm talkin about..btw thank you for the nice words you chose there..that's very mature of you..

quote by 034, "If you knew what you are talking about you would realise that some of the guys had drug problems as well"

people with drug problems can't help others or even dare to do..they are busy with getting their own stuff..I never believed that,Elvis took whatever he took as drugs for pleasure or boredom this is bs..his looks at the end was the signal of his failin health ,serious illlnesses not a typical drug addicts look,everyone ignored his serious health problems, he himself did the same too..only he knew the reason..now what was their(MM) reason to use drugs,they didn't even have half the bad health conditions and responsibility of Elvis's..
they better clean their own backyards..the ugly thing is those are the same characters who executed him and made him a book..and we're still talkin of their motives ,explanations ,some are calling for justice for those mistreated guys..I only want them to shut up and end this one sided argument since Elvis is not here to talk and answer..

Merry
08-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Yes Dr,I too read books(not only look at the pictures):blink:even though it was almost impossible to find books about Elvis where I live, specially the ones I want..Elvis items were never popular here in Turkey.and that famous book was belong to a friend of mine who was on a visit and reading it..sorry I can't give you enough description about it if it was the first or second edition or how it smelled..I guess it wasin 1983..what I can say is the style was very tabloid,sensationalistic,cheap I mean..I never asked her for the book after she finished it,to read the rest..no not as you'd think, it wasn't the negativity I couldn't stand,cause till that day all I heard about him was that he was a package of odds,all the terrible things a human being can be and it was that Elvis I bacame a fan of(late77)without seeing any of his movies,any footage or enough pictures to be a "hero crazy" some of you think I am..in years I found some other books such as Mr.EParker's,L Gellers,Guralnick's(last train..)J,Juanico's some chronoligical books,EPFC of GB mags..but none of them became my Elvis lecturers..His music was the source I got my beliefs of him the man the person,not the image the hero...on the contrary,its not me seeing him as the Icon but most of the time you do that and judge him according iconic standarts..forgetting his human sides,human vulnerabilty,human needs and how a good level he came as a human being,again not as a star,king whatever you call it..
as for your question..yes I sometimes know what I'm talkin about..btw thank you for the nice words you chose there..that's very mature of you..

quote by 034, "If you knew what you are talking about you would realise that some of the guys had drug problems as well"

people with drug problems can't help others or even dare to do..they are busy with getting their own stuff..I never believed that,Elvis took whatever he took as drugs for pleasure or boredom this is bs..his looks at the end was the signal of his failin health ,serious illlnesses not a typical drug addicts look,everyone ignored his serious health problems, he himself did the same too..only he knew the reason..now what was their(MM) reason to use drugs,they didn't even have half the bad health conditions and responsibility of Elvis's..
they better clean their own backyards..the ugly thing is those are the same characters who executed him and made him a book..and we're still talkin of their motives ,explanations ,some are calling for justice for those mistreated guys..I only want them to shut up and end this one sided argument since Elvis is not here to talk and answer..

Well said 4The Heart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but druggies are thin.

It's a shame that some are being ungentlemanly to the ladies.

Jess

jak
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Blaming Elvis' drug use on his health problems has no merit.Elvis was abusing drugs as far back as the early 60's.He carried his copy of the PDR that far back.Some of his health problems were probably due to the drug abuse.The abuse just eventually caught up with him.Not all druggies are thin.Elvis' drugs were mainly downers which slow the metabolism.He usually seemed puffy and swollen during the last few years.People sometimes forget that Elvis' slide started no later than 73 when professionally he was on top of the world.It just got progressively worse from then on.
Jak

srj1967
08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
his looks at the end was the signal of his failin health ,serious illlnesses not a typical drug addicts look

The first past of your statement here is possibly true.

But as for the second part .. there IS no 'typical drug addict'!

Doctors, lawyers, kids, housewives ... Kings of Rock. A million types of people and just as many drugs to choose from.

Unfortunately, "drug addict" evokes immediate images of a smacked-out junkie breaking into homes to support their habit. Obviously, there are thousands like this, but drug addiction (or even if, like myself, you refuse to call it a disease because people choose to do drugs - but that's another thread, not for this forum!) comes in many forms.

Elvis, like millions of others around the world, through history - and, sadly, history to come - was a drug addict. Addicted to drugs. His type of drugs. I'm of the attitude that this aspect of Elvis' life is neither to be applauded nor condemned. Just observed and discussed rationally, like we'd discuss music, concerts, suits, Graceland etc.

Yes, Elvis was an addict. Do I think less of him for that? Of course not. I find the discussion of reasons behind Elvis' personal demons fascinating, and I like hearing other people's take on this misunderstood and complicated man and artist.

There is no point taking offence at this sort of view about Elvis - I mean here in this forum. Those of us who are comfortable using "drug addict" and Elvis in the same sentence are still fans and still love him.

In the outside world, however, if a non-fan or whomever else says Elvis was a drug addict ... find out what they mean, and what they know about Elvis' drugs habits. Then educate them with the truth. And these truths (yours, mine, different viewpoints) do not make him any less of a man.

None of us on this forum (with all our myriad of opinions) could ever think that.

08-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Well said 4The Heart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but druggies are thin.

It's a shame that some are being ungentlemanly to the ladies.

Jess

Being female is not a prerequisite to different treatment from males.

Equality.

Elvis had a drugs problem....if you look at Elvis In Concert he certainly isn't thin.

08-03-2007, 11:57 AM

We should agree to disagree on this as your sources and 'facts' make it very difficult to discuss the situation in an informed manner.

08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
The first past of your statement here is possibly true.

But as for the second part .. there IS no 'typical drug addict'!

Doctors, lawyers, kids, housewives ... Kings of Rock. A million types of people and just as many drugs to choose from.

Unfortunately, "drug addict" evokes imediate images of a smacked-out junkie breaking into homes to support their habit. Obviously, there are thousands like this, but drug addiction (or even if, like myself, you refuse to call it a disease because people choose to do drugs - but that's another thread, not for this forum!) comes in many forms.

Elvis, like millions of others around the world, through history - and, sadly, history to come - was a drug addict. Addicted to drugs. His type of drugs. I'm of the attitude that this aspect of Elvis' life is neither to be applauded nor condemned. Just observed and discussed rationally, like we'd discuss music, concerts, suits, Graceland etc.

Yes, Elvis was an addict. Do I think less of him for that? Of course not. I find the discussion of reasons behind Elvis' personal demons fascinating, and I like hearing other people's take on this misunderstood and complicated man and artist.

There is no point taking offence at this sort of view about Elvis - I mean here in this forum. Those of us who are comfortable using "drug addict" and Elvis in the same sentence are still fans and still love him.

In the outside world, however, if a non-fan or whomever else says Elvis was a drug addict ... find out what they mean, and what they know about Elvis' drugs habits. Then educate them with the truth. And these truths (yours, mine, different viewpoints) do not make him any less of a man.

None of us on this forum (with all our myriad of opinions) could ever think that.

Well said.

Merry
08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Being female is not a prerequisite to different treatment from males.

Equality.

I'm speechless, your manner here on TCB isn't pleasant.

08-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm speechless, your manner here on TCB isn't pleasant.

That's not an insult......it's fact.

What would be insulting to the female gender would be males treating females differently than males.

Diane
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
srj, your last post above is the voice of reasoning and very well said, but no one is listening.:'(

Diane

LORRAINE
08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
No Thanks this book is not for me, I read -W- H -E IN 1977 . ELVIS was responsible for in own actions in his life like we all are... Maybe MR West in retrospect should get a real job, An stop RELYING on ELVIS PRESLEY for his paycheck.:D

4THEHEART
08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
034 there's no written sources to get to know or understand a person 100% about anyone,and same with Elvis too..you better don't count on outside "sources" in life always..of course it's your bussiness..I only say,that makes us a machine..
and I wasn't the one interested in discuss anything specially in a single dimension like that, so there's no problem..
as for being addict,hopefully none of you have a serious problem to live with any kind of lifelong drug using..can we consider a patient of Parkinson's an addict? yes we can,since they need to use drugs that cause them sleep disorders,halucinations and more,should we accuse them having bad habits..there are many other health problems makes one an addict.we owe this to our modern medical knowledge who denies alternative therapies and push those pills everyone easily..Can't you see other than his abdominal region(an exact sign of a serious problem in that area), how thin his arms, legs, even his face when there's no much of a fluid oedema,or when you look at behind shots(in 77) was there a normal weight gaining sight ..well,some of yours minds full of a standart R&R star story so you can't see there's a different problem here ..

jak
08-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I know Im going off topic but I dont think you can call a person with parkinson's an addict.To me an addict takes the drugs out of want not need.No way you can compare a person with a genuine need for drugs to somebody who chooses to abuse them.How many people do you know that carry around a copy of the pharmacutical manual like Elvis did?Only a person who enjoys drugs would even consider that.Elvis took drugs because he liked what they did to him.He just let it take over unfortunately.
Jak

08-03-2007, 04:11 PM
034 there's no written sources to get to know or understand a person 100% about anyone,and same with Elvis too..you better don't count on outside "sources" in life always..of course it's your bussiness..I only say,that makes us a machine..
and I wasn't the one interested in discuss anything specially in a single dimension like that, so there's no problem..
as for being addict,hopefully none of you have a serious problem to live with any kind of lifelong drug using..can we consider a patient of Parkinson's an addict? yes we can,since they need to use drugs that cause them sleep disorders,halucinations and more,should we accuse them having bad habits..there are many other health problems makes one an addict.we owe this to our modern medical knowledge who denies alternative therapies and push those pills everyone easily..Can't you see other than his abdominal region(an exact sign of a serious problem in that area), how thin his arms, legs, even his face when there's no much of a fluid oedema,or when you look at behind shots(in 77) was there a normal weight gaining sight ..well,some of yours minds full of a standart R&R star story so you can't see there's a different problem here ..

Don't be naive enough to think that Elvis needed everything he was taking.

I believe that in order to have an understanding of something you were not present for you must rely on a variety of "outside" sources. It is how justice is carried through courts and how we know what we do about history.

If that makes one a machine in your opinion then at least it is an informed machine that is capable of coming to a logical assessment rather than an emotional or hopeful conculsion.

Elvis needed to dry out. Thats why he got off the drugs for the Aloha shows. He didn't need the stuff and the psychical abnormalities you are describing more probabaly resulted from his abuse of medication which manifested itself that way physcially.

Just for your info:

Addict:

1.a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance: a drug addict. ?verb (used with object) 2.to cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance, as alcohol or a narcotic. 3.to habituate or abandon (oneself) to something compulsively or obsessively: a writer addicted to the use of high-flown language; children addicted to video games.

Elvis had an obsessive personality. Watching the same movie several times in one sitting in the Memphian, his penchant for drugs for the feelings they created.

I don't condemn Elvis for being an addict - it is easy to become addicted to something. Elvis was planning to explain to audiences on his August 77 tour about his addiction had they brought it up following the publication of EWH.

Maybe if you opened your mind to the possibility that Elvis did abuse medication both legal and ileagl for the highs and lows he experienced off of it. Because these posts claiming it was purely for use to stem medical conditions is complete rubbish.

Elvis was told in Baptist Memorial that he had to stop abusing medication by the doctors. Doctor Nick tried placebos but Elvis's plytheora of sources for access to medication was such a myriad that he could literally get anything he wanted.

One of Elvis's favourite drugs was Demerol, not something that is easy to give up once you have started using it:

What is the most important information I should know about Demerol?

?Demerol may be habit forming. Physical and/or psychological dependence can occur, and withdrawal effects are possible if the medication is stopped suddenly after prolonged or high-dose treatment. Do not stop taking Demerol suddenly without first talking to your doctor if you have been taking it continuously for more than 5 to 7 days. Your doctor may want to gradually reduce the dose.

Source: http://www.drugs.com/demerol.html

meg
08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
•Demerol may be habit forming. Physical and/or psychological dependence can occur, and withdrawal effects are possible if the medication is stopped suddenly after prolonged or high-dose treatment. Do not stop taking Demerol suddenly without first talking to your doctor if you have been taking it continuously for more than 5 to 7 days. Your doctor may want to gradually reduce the dose.

That?s nothing special .That?s the same for cortison.gabapentin and may more drugs!

08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
That?s nothing special .That?s the same for cortison.gabapentin and may more drugs!

Exactly. You have proven my point.

4THEHEART
08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Jak I see personally what happens when my father stops the medicines..they do not heal him,they're killing him slowly,changing him yet he has to take them to go on living..you can never know a person's reason from that distance to go on any kind of medicine..whta I want to tell is sometimes you have to go on even if you are aware of the danger and prefer it to other symptoms..yes this is not a real addiction but looks so and gives the same impression to others.. that was my point..when you look from outside, you can judge them by their looks,failing speech ,or the way they behave(too strange sometimes) and you can label them easily but you might never know the real reason..in 70's doctors prescribed my mom valium for a stomach ulcer..thankfully she was allergic to many dugs and couln't use it.this is a crime these days..what the docs think was the ulcer could have been related to stress..and 034 I have the internet too and I'm involved in many other subjects ,other than Elvis forums so don't worry I can reach all those sources easily you do not need to spell words for me..it's becoming annoying..besides if you can't watch a movie again and again that doesn't give you the right to diognise people with some kinda psychologic disorder..take it easy..

08-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Jak I see personally what happens when my father stops the medicines..they do not heal him,they're killing him slowly,changing him yet he has to take them to go on living..you can never know a person's reason from that distance to go on any kind of medicine..whta I want to tell is sometimes you have to go on even if you are aware of the danger and prefer it to other symptoms..yes this is not a real addiction but looks so and gives the same impression to others.. that was my point..when you look from outside, you can judge them by their looks,failing speech ,or the way they behave(too strange sometimes) and you can label them easily but you might never know the real reason..in 70's doctors prescribed my mom valium for a stomach ulcer..thankfully she was allergic to many dugs and couln't use it.this is a crime these days..what the docs think was the ulcer could have been related to stress..and 034 I have the internet too and I'm involved in many other subjects ,other than Elvis forums so don't worry I can reach all those sources easily you do not need to spell words for me..it's becoming annoying..besides if you can't watch a movie again and again that doesn't give you the right to diognise people with some kinda psychologic disorder..take it easy..

No the movie proves nothing other than most people who knew him say he had an addictive personality.

If your father was not to take the medicines prescribed he would probabaly be in a worse state than he is now.

Elvis didn't need to take as much as he did - that is my point - Elvis enjoyed drugs as many people do, but Elvis moved from recreational usage to full blown dependence.

jak
08-03-2007, 07:53 PM
4THEHEART,
First of all Im sorry about your father.As you said though your dad must have the medicine.He has an actual need for them.In Elvis' case I think it's clear he took a majority of the pills just because he wanted them.Elvis really didnt need all those pills.The amount prescribed to him were staggering.I know he had actual ailments that did require medication.On the other hand I believe the accounts of Elvis deliberately hurting himself to get more pills.He was hooked plain and simple.
Jak

KPM
08-03-2007, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=srj1967;125001]

Unfortunately, "drug addict" evokes imediate images of a smacked-out junkie breaking into homes to support their habit. Obviously, there are thousands like this, but drug addiction (or even if, like myself, you refuse to call it a disease because people choose to do drugs - but that's another thread, not for this forum!) comes in many forms.

I find the discussion of reasons behind Elvis' personal demons fascinating, and I like hearing other people's take on this misunderstood and complicated man and artist.

This a fair way of stating an opinion. I like the line:
There is no point taking offence at this sort of view about Elvis - I mean [I]here in this forum.
That breaks both ways- There is no point in taking offence by the ones who do not see it that way. There is a tendency ( at times in a stealth bomber type way)to degrade people who do not accept all the drug stories and negative things concering Elvis. I feel everyone should have a right to voice his or her opinion without being degraded "in any way"
I do not agree 100% with many on this forum but I am not going to turn it into a fight everytime I do not agree. Some have little knowledge of Elvis, some have read everybook, some have conversations with, MM, acquaintances and co stars of Elvis. Unfortunalely anyone can lie!-In books , in interviews, in person. Elvis could lie. Total truth is an illusive thing 30 years after the fact. Especially when the total truth has been revised several times by many involved. I know for a fact I do not know the total truth on matters about Elvis and his life. I have an educated opinion. I have read about 60 books since I was a kid.(EWH-ELVIS by Goldman- included) Have heard to many interviews with insiders to remember over the last 30 years. Have a brother who actually talked to an insider about 20 years ago for a quick chat. In this way I have formed my opinions and to a degree think I have a pretty good idea of the man Elvis was. I do not take anything said without a grain of salt. Everyone here has an "Educated opinion" the level of education may be different. Many things can be seen in a subjective way.
2 people see a car wreck-one says it was the worst thing he has ever seen-the other says its a fender bender. Who saw it right? How bad was it really? No doubt an accident occured,but much doubt as to what really happened. And we are not even into who hit who, whos at fault, who did not yield, who was speeding......... The arguments that happen from trying to get at the truth. Now lets multiply the people who see the wreck from 2 to 50 standing around-Not all in the same place. Some on the corner, some near the intersection, some far away etc. Man have we got a truth problem.
If the witnesses argue and name call the truth is lost. People do not hearthe other guys version, because they are to busy arguing. Lets try to understand we do not all stand in the same place and see the same things. IMO

4THEHEART
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you Jak for sincere thoughts..yes,during that 14 years of dad's illness,I've lost my confidence in docs and medicines..ok this is off topic now..
well,I don't believe what you believe about that drug thing (the way it looked)but changing people's ideas never was one of my interests cause we are what we think and believe and we'll all end this life as we started..never seen anyone that changed in years totally,besides I don't want to see millions of me walkin around:P..I have my own reasons to believe and think so I'm stick to them, even they are funny for so many people yet no harm in it, makin them smile or feel wiser is a good thing to do ;),adds colour to square lives..

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow the white glow of this subject can really bring the heat out in everyone!

Thank you for a very nice post KPM (y) A little excerpt from Blake kind of sums this up!

"Dear child, I also by pleasant streams
Have wandered all night in the Land of Dreams;
But though calm and warm the waters wide,
I could not get to the other side.

Father, O Father, what do we here,
In this land of unbelief and fear?
The Land of Dreams is better far
Above the light of the Morning Star."

Just a brief interlude folks to break up the heat ;)

KPM
08-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks JJ that was a nice calm-between the storms:D;)(y)

srj1967
08-04-2007, 05:21 AM
srj, your last post above is the voice of reasoning and very well said, but no one is listening.:'(

Diane

The story of my life!! :lol:

Merry
08-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Jak I see personally what happens when my father stops the medicines..

Hugs 4TheHeart

:hug:

Jess

Merry
08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately,... IMO

What KPM said!

(y)

Jess

Diane
08-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I believe to be a true Elvis fan you have to accept him just the way he was faults and all. If you pretend he didn't have any then you are not loving the real person, just an image of what you want him to be. He wasn't a god, he wasn't a king except of rock and roll, he was a fantastic performer of a caliber that the world may never see again, he was loving and generous, he had a great sense of humor, he had a short-lived sometimes violent temper, he had an addiction and he made bad choices but he had a special quality in his personality that drew people to him aside from his voice, he had charisma but it wasn't used to deceive - it came from the heart. All in all, his good qualities outweighed his faults and that's the best we can all hope to acheive.

Listen to his song: Love Me, Love The Life I Lead.

Donut
08-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe to be a true Elvis fan you have to accept him just the way he was faults and all. If you pretend he didn't have any then you are not loving the real person, just an image of what you want him to be.

Well said Diane and srj1967

4THEHEART
08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
dear Diane the point is I don't see those things as faults..I think my fault barrier is a little higher than some of yours cause I'm the one who see him as a human, not a super hero..and so I'm looking at him..human being can go too too far in evil and we are still trying to find the faults of such a human being..just think of a world without him and his faults..

Diane
08-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I see what you mean Zey but I see anything as a fault that causes harm to oneself or someone else - something that all humans have. That's what I mean about his faults - or anyone else's. Yes, I was brought up with high standards and a strict catholic upbringing and of course it clouds some of my thinking as anyone else's upbringing does. All we can do however we were brought up, is to try to be as kind to ourselves and others as we can. None of us will ever achieve perfection.;)

Diane

4THEHEART
08-04-2007, 05:01 PM
perfection must be a word only or it changes for every individual don't know though.. Elvis is a good example when it comes to consider others,to give others,maybe to a point to push himself so hard even harm..in such a short period he achieved that unique place and I don't even want to think how mean could have been any other human being if they were in his place..yet in total what he did was makin millions happy one way or another..so what is to judge and fill the books..don't we ask too much, I can only thank to such a person..

jak
08-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I believe to be a true Elvis fan you have to accept him just the way he was faults and all. If you pretend he didn't have any then you are not loving the real person, just an image of what you want him to be. He wasn't a god, he wasn't a king except of rock and roll, he was a fantastic performer of a caliber that the world may never see again, he was loving and generous, he had a great sense of humor, he had a short-lived sometimes violent temper, he had an addiction and he made bad choices but he had a special quality in his personality that drew people to him aside from his voice, he had charisma but it wasn't used to deceive - it came from the heart. All in all, his good qualities outweighed his faults and that's the best we can all hope to acheive.

Nice post.

Joe Car
08-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Nice post.

That's an excellent post Diane!

TLC67
08-04-2007, 06:56 PM

:notworthy I wish I had your way with words! That is exactly how I think of him!

KPM
08-04-2007, 10:34 PM

My thoughts exactly. You did not go into huge detail, nor add adjectives which may bother some. Perfect choice of words and substance.(y)

Diane
08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Thank you all, it's what I feel deep down inside and I know most of you do too. I did originally go into more detail KPM but then cut it all out as it sometimes does cloud the issues you want people to see doesn't it? It's too easy to get carried away. :

You all have common sense and open minds and that's something I admire tremendously. Keep on posting, I love to read them.(y)

Diane

Burning_Love
08-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Thankyou Diane:clap::clap:
A voice of reason (y):notworthy

Merry
08-05-2007, 01:10 AM

Well said Diane.

Why would anyone think that a "perfect human being" is someone they would like to look up to, or be interested in, in because of "perfection"?

How can the "perfect human being" have empathy? How can that person have lines on their face, because of their life? Smile lines, frown lines, lines from working in the sun, as they get older. They earnt those lines, and should be proud of them.

How we are game to play our lives make us, us, to me, this is more important than anything, as this is what makes us "us". We all know, and I'm not telling anyone anything, that life is a journey, and as the joke says, we should come sliding in, saying what a wonderful life we have lead and are leading, rather than being careful, not playing, not taking risks, not trying things.

Step carefully, at your own risk.

Life is to be lead, Elvis lived it, he has all our respect and we can learn from it, in a good way.

Jess

retroprincess
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I know this reply is late - I'm new here and I felt I had to comment.

I read EWH shortly after it came out.

I know the 'official' line for the guys who wrote it was to "save" Elvis from himself. And that sounds noble enough. But then, think about how much hurt and humiliation that book caused Elvis. Rather thatn 'help' him, what's to say it didn't catapult him headlong in the other direction (ie make him even more depressed, upset, more reliant on drugs)???

I still believe these guys could have taken a million other avenues to "save" Elvis rather than write an expose on the man who had loved and supported them for so many years. And EWH, by the way, also served to open the floodgates for hundreds of other tacky, degrading and sensationalist books in it's wake. Well done guys.

Perhaps Sonny West, 30 years on, regrets what he did by writing EWH, I don't know.

I really don't know if I will read this book or not.

rossjam
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
We have just come back from Derby where we had the wonderful oppertunity to Listen to Sonny West for over 2 hours, then meet him personally and then again at night we sat and had some conversations. I will tell you this whatever you think about this man he LOVED Elvis with all his heart and the emotion that came from Sonny when he was telling us stories about ELVIS they were real and from the heart they were not just said to look good..
Has no one ever done something out of spite, anger and to make someone sit up and take notice ?????

I have to say I am so glad I got the chance to meet Sonny and hear some of his wonderful times with Elvis.....:P(y)(y)

TurnpikeTaylor
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I was at an Elvis event over the weekend which had Sonny West as a guest, and i must say he came across as very sincere and honest, and he went down very well with the other fans.

I remember buying "Elvis What Happened" on the way home from school on the day it was released, and was very shocked when i read it. As for the motives for writing the book, i was always of the opinion it was a part revenge and part wake-up call to Elvis. Which even as a kid, i could understand becuase of the way Elvis fired the guys. This is not to say they were right to write he book, but i can understand, or at least try and understand their point of view.

But after looking into Sonny West`s eyes as he was asked these questions last Saturday night, i do believe him when he says revenge/money was not his motive.Infact i liked the guy.

tilly01
08-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I hated sonny west and the guys that wrote the first book with a passion but after seeing Sonny West on sat my perception of him changed he came across, as a genuine friend of elvis who wanted to try and jolt Elvis into admitting that he had a problem with prescription pills, but at the end of the day elvis was in denial, and Sonny never beat around the bush he answered all the questions with honesty and intregrity he made us laugh and made some of us cry when he was telling us personal stories that meant a lot to him, I for one now understand why Sonny felt he had to write the book but he should have done it on his own and not with the other two as Sonny was the one who knew Elvis better then the rest of them i feel he truely misses his friend Elvis. Sonny is a fine decent man.

srj1967
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I hated sonny west and the guys that wrote the first book with a passion but after seeing Sonny West on sat my perception of him changed he came across, as a genuine friend of elvis who wanted to try and jolt Elvis into admitting that he had a problem with prescription pills, but at the end of the day elvis was in denial, and Sonny never beat around the bush he answered all the questions with honesty and intregrity he made us laugh and made some of us cry when he was telling us personal stories that meant a lot to him, I for one now understand why Sonny felt he had to write the book but he should have done it on his own and not with the other two as Sonny was the one who knew Elvis better then the rest of them i feel he truely misses his friend Elvis. Sonny is a fine decent man.

Well said. Sonny has never denied that part of the reason why he helped write Elvis, What Happened was revenge.

And, despite what some posters on here would have you believe, he has never denied that he also took a variety of drugs along with Elvis!

Burning_Love
08-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Well said Tilly. My grandad has been an Elvis fan for about 50 years, and has met Sonny several times, and says exactly what you said.
They were wrote the book to help, to show Elvis how and what it was doing to him.

T_J
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I for one now understand why Sonny felt he had to write the book but he should have done it on his own and not with the other two as Sonny was the one who knew Elvis better then the rest of them.

I think Red might dispute that.

rawkinlvs
09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
it's sad that he took it upon himself to write another rag- i can see why he was fired, but RED WEST is the best of em all, to bad this guy never could do anything with his life after he ws dismissed , like maybe a real job , carrying brick and mortar, or even laying some bricks , house framer, form worker - yep didn't think so.

ksimms2
09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
I think Red might dispute that.

Who was elvis long time friends from grade school with? Red?

Getlo
09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Well said. Sonny has never denied that part of the reason why he helped write Elvis, What Happened was revenge.

And, despite what some posters on here would have you believe, he has never denied that he also took a variety of drugs along with Elvis!

I agree with this wholeheartedly! (y)

(Hang on ... I thought this was that other thread. Oh well.) ;)

Diane
09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Yes Kelly, it was Red that was Elvis' long-time friend from high school. Sonny met Elvis later through him as Sonny is Red's cousin.

Diane

Getlo
09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
it's sad that he took it upon himself to write another rag.

Have you read Sonny's latest book?

KPM
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
George Klein also was a high school friend.

rawkinlvs
09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Have you read Sonny's latest book?

why would i waste my money on that ... when i can buy photo books and remember the greatest entertainer, if you think this guy and the like have so much dirt on E.P. just think of what ELVIS would/could write about these bums- oh yeah ELVIS PRESLEY was to much of a gentleman, and not a dirt farmer, this guy is just another unambitious bum who has nothing to show for his 69 years of life- he lives in a rickity ol house , i understand he couldn't even afford the plane ticket to memphis this year , some fans had to pool the money for him.

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 05:56 PM
why would i waste my money on that ... when i can buy photo books and remember the greatest entertainer, if you think this guy and the like have so much dirt on E.P. just think of what ELVIS would/could write about these bums- oh yeah ELVIS PRESLEY was to much of agentleman, and not a dirt farmer, this guy is just another unambitious bum who has nothing to show for his 69 years of life- he lives in a rickity ol house , i understand he couldn't even afford the plane ticket to memphis this year , some fans had to pool the money for him.

Oh please....give me a break....I'm sure that Sonny can afford a plane ticket....and I'm sure he doesn't live in a rickety-old house....

Some of y'all need to come down off of your "high horse" and check your attitudes at the door.......

No wonder there's so much griping and complaining over here......

Just remember the lyrics, "Before you abuse, criticize and accuse--walk a mile in my shoes". I personally think that Elvis would be highly offended at some of the comments that have been said about the people HE chose to have around him (and dare I say that dreadful name, "Priscilla") by some members here.

We may not like every single one of them...but these are the people that Elvis chose to have around him and work for him so....deal with it!!

I'm taking a LOA for a while....I'm absolutely sick and tired of the fighting and ******** and moaning and disagreeing among the one's who think they know it all about Elvis when, in fact, they probably don't.....an Elvis forum shouldn't be like this.....we should be able to "agree to disagree" until proven otherwise but I see that it's not going to happen.....so.....see ya'll around....I may pop in sometimes but until things cool down here I won't be back for a while......maybe a long while....I dunno...either way....this place ain't like it used to be....we can't discuss Elvis or the people who worked for him without getting into arguments...and frankly I'm sick and tired of it....

KPM
09-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear that, agreeing to disagree is the way it should be especially about matters no one can ever prove. I have to admit I may take a break also.

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear that, agreeing to disagree is the way it should be especially about matters no one can ever prove. I have to admit I may take a break also.

That's just it...things have been "proven" as fact but no one cares to believe them......

I don't claim to know all about Elvis Presley...there are things I'd rather not know about him, to be honest. But I don't hold grudges and argue the simple facts that are out there and that are as plain as the nose on my face......

Vissie
09-14-2007, 06:27 PM
That's just it...things have been "proven" as fact but no one cares to believe them......

I don't claim to know all about Elvis Presley...there are things I'd rather not know about him, to be honest. But I don't hold grudges and argue the simple facts that are out there and that are as plain as the nose on my face......

I hope you don't leave Tony as I feel you offer a lot of insight into the dynamics of "all that is Elvis".

KPM
09-14-2007, 06:27 PM

I have thought I have made a good case for several points of controvesy and they are ignored or not believed. I just shrug it off-if others do not see it that way-fine.

truthfully have you ever seen a simple fact on Elvis-its all controversy it seems ha ha

4THEHEART
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
KPM,
I've been following your posts since a while and just wanted to thank you for caring enough to try to understand people than to play the judge as some of our friends prefer to do here..well Elvis caused me to reconsider again how people think they could have better plans for other person's life and they're also capable of making a faults list to the point they cover the real importance and values of that certain someone..without being in his place,feeling his misery,or the pressure,his life loaded on their shoulders,it must have been so easy to cut short a huge life with a sentence such as "he was an addict." "he was spoiled." ..he was this and that..these are how shallow and unwise to say..we all saw what he let us see, he had a right to keep his own reason's to himself for doing things some wouldn't approve,you can't judge a whole happening by the results .we may never know exactly what really happened,what he was happy or unhappy with,why he made some decissions the way he did,how ill he was, did he tried to survive or let it go,did he have plans for future or not..these are personal and private as could be.. but there was other sides of him which should've been our major concern,that what he added as just a single human being and in such a short time,and the love and compassion he spread around the world.This wasn't something he did only with his beautiful looks or amazing voice,nothing to do with being an idol,king,star, famous or rich..these are so simple things to explain that impact..it was the person we're still not sure about..the person, so deep and wise and mature inside,contrary to his image and the way most people love to believe he was..humble to accept the path he walked and learned along ..don't know why it was in this life time and why when nothing and no one was ready, he came and did what he did but I feel fortunate enough to be witness all these..well,hopefully this will be the last time I repeat myself.

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I hope you don't leave Tony as I feel you offer a lot of insight into the dynamics of "all that is Elvis".

Thanks, Vissie...but it just seems there's way too **** much fighting and bickering going on in regards to things that have been proven to be facts and people will still argue with you until you're blue in the face because they think that they are right 'bout it.

The only person who knows what went on inside Elvis's head and Elvis's life are Elvis himself and the one's he chose to have around him.

I know that Matt and Leroy and other's have done vast amounts of research on jumpsuits and things and I highly value their opinions. It's just the people here that continue to hold grudges against Sonny and Red and Dave all because of a book that they thought would wake Elvis up and make him see what he was doin' to himself.

Sonny has apologized in his new book for writing "Elvis: What Happened?" and he has explained the reasons why he wrote the book and deeply still regrets writing the book....and yet to this day, people continue to hold a grudge and hate him for writing the book....and they don't even really know the man!!

I find Sonny West to be a kind and gentle man....a "teddy bear" of a man, if you wish, who still loves and misses Elvis to this very day and wishes that he was still here. Just read his reaction to the news of Elvis's death and you will understand.....

The West boys did what they thought was right...it backfired on them...they regret it and are now trying to make amends? Can we not, if we're really true fans of Elvis, give them a chance and forgive and forget? They're not all gonna be here forever and neither are we...we should cherish them while they're here....

I'm currently in a disagreement with a former TCB-World member about whether the actual upstairs was filmed in "This Is Elvis" and it has been proven by many people (EPE included because I emailed them this morning myself to ask) that Graceland was used for filming. Vernon gave them permission to film inside Graceland either in 1978 or 1979. shortly before he passed away...and this person doesn't believe me at all.

I'll stick around a little longer but if things keep going downhill, I see no choice but to leave for a while....

KPM
09-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately some people on certain topics believe as strongly as you or I do about certain things and they feel they are also correct. As I said the only thing you can do is to agree to disagree with a smile. I know it is hard sometimes and emotions can get the best of some of us. Its funny how Elvis can bring out such heated emotions in people-good and bad.

Vissie
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Vissie...but it just seems there's way too **** much fighting and bickering going on in regards to things that have been proven to be facts and people will still argue with you until you're blue in the face because they think that they are right 'bout it.

The only person who knows what went on inside Elvis's head and Elvis's life are Elvis himself and the one's he chose to have around him.

I know that Matt and Leroy and other's have done vast amounts of research on jumpsuits and things and I highly value their opinions. It's just the people here that continue to hold grudges against Sonny and Red and Dave all because of a book that they thought would wake Elvis up and make him see what he was doin' to himself.

Sonny has apologized in his new book for writing "Elvis: What Happened?" and he has explained the reasons why he wrote the book and deeply still regrets writing the book....and yet to this day, people continue to hold a grudge and hate him for writing the book....and they don't even really know the man!!

I find Sonny West to be a kind and gentle man....a "teddy bear" of a man, if you wish, who still loves and misses Elvis to this very day and wishes that he was still here. Just read his reaction to the news of Elvis's death and you will understand.....

The West boys did what they thought was right...it backfired on them...they regret it and are now trying to make amends? Can we not, if we're really true fans of Elvis, give them a chance and forgive and forget? They're not all gonna be here forever and neither are we...we should cherish them while they're here....

I'm currently in a disagreement with a former TCB-World member about whether the actual upstairs was filmed in "This Is Elvis" and it has been proven by many people (EPE included because I emailed them this morning myself to ask) that Graceland was used for filming. Vernon gave them permission to film inside Graceland either in 1978 or 1979. shortly before he passed away...and this person doesn't believe me at all.

I'll stick around a little longer but if things keep going downhill, I see no choice but to leave for a while....

You make a lot of good points Tony. And, as someone who is relatively new to Elvis, I appreciate it when you take the time to offer me information and reply to my posts.

I do know what you mean about people holding hard and true to their own point of view (even if it's wrong) and I can imagine how frustrating it can get for someone like yourself. But you know what Tony? There will always be people like that. And forum boards are a great breeding ground for myopic thinking.

I haven't read anything by the MM as of yet. I'm still trudging through Cole's book on his death while re-reading Guralnick's second volume.

You know, it's very easy for people to say what should have been done in regards to something from the past. Isn't that called Monday morning quarterbacking or something? Not one of us here knows what we would have done if we had been a member of the MM. Would we have told Elvis "I'm sorry, but I can't stand by and watch you kill yourself?" Would we have said, "No matter what buddy, I'm here for you. Even if you die in front of me."

People will always have something to say. And people desperately want to be right. Ignore the ones that bother you :hug:

Diane
09-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Take a deep breath and maybe a couple of days off the threads and please come back Tony - I would miss you and your posts. Too many of the old posters have left and you're right, it just doesn't feel the same anymore - so hang in there please.

Diane

KPM
09-14-2007, 08:09 PM
People will always have something to say. And people desperately want to be right. Ignore the ones that bother you

Agree . IMO Truth can lead you anywhere- you have to be open to it and not hang onto what you have always thought to be true as new information is available. Just because you have always heard or thought something does not always make it so. Longevity of something untrue does not make it any more credible. People get something in their head and become inflexable on it. DNA evidence has proved 100s of people who were found guilty of crimes innocent in the last 10 years-but I've actually heard of family of victims who still do not believe it. Inflexable to new evidence.

Getlo
09-14-2007, 09:11 PM
why would i waste my money on that ....

It doesn't make sense to describe Sonny's new book as a "rag" unless you've read it and can form a proper opinion of it ...

Getlo
09-14-2007, 09:14 PM
- he lives in a rickity ol house , i understand he couldn't even afford the plane ticket to memphis this year , some fans had to pool the money for him.

Wrong.

His house is very decent, and he has made a living with horses and various things for a long while. The story about fans pitching in to buy him tickets is pure crap.

More lies told by people who just want to discredit him.

presley31
09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Don't leave Tony, hang in there a bit longer, things will settle down sometime.

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Take a deep breath and maybe a couple of days off the threads and please come back Tony - I would miss you and your posts. Too many of the old posters have left and you're right, it just doesn't feel the same anymore - so hang in there please.

Diane

I'll stick around for a little while but...if things get nasty again...well....

I enjoy being here immensely...don't get me wrong. It's just the attitude that some posters have that bothers me.

We're never gonna know everything about Elvis...that's the simple truth...and frankly, there are things I'd rather not know 'bout Elvis.

It's just that problems seem to occur when facts are presented and people choose not to believe them as the truth.

Getlo
09-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Sonny has apologized in his new book for writing "Elvis: What Happened?" and he has explained the reasons why he wrote the book and deeply still regrets writing the book....and yet to this day, people continue to hold a grudge and hate him for writing the book....and they don't even really know the man!! ....

Absolutely ... positively ... SPOT ON, TT!! (y)

presley31
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I'll stick around for a little while but...if things get nasty again...well....

I enjoy being here immensely...don't get me wrong. It's just the attitude that some posters have that bothers me.

We're never gonna know everything about Elvis...that's the simple truth...and frankly, there are things I'd rather not know 'bout Elvis.

It's just that problems seem to occur when facts are presented and people choose not to believe them as the truth.

I agree with everything you said Tony, don't let these people get to you.

Diane
09-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Me too Tony, I get days where I get really aggravated too. That's usually when I don't post. I'm short tempered and I really have to pull the reins on myself quite often.

I haven't read Sonny's last book so I don't know if I'll soften towards him or not. I have to get around to reading it soon and see how it affects me.

Diane

KPM
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Me too Tony, I get days where I get really aggravated too. That's usually when I don't post. I'm short tempered and I really have to pull the reins on myself quite often.

I haven't read Sonny's last book so I don't know if I'll soften towards him or not. I have to get around to reading it soon and see how it affects me.

Diane
I have to admit when you present credible evidence and it is ignored or dismissed as naive or rose colored it can get old. I have posted many names and quotes from reputable knowledgable people to give another side of the story which contradicts the approved accepted story-and many just ignore them. But I know the info I have posted is just as valid as any that anyone else has. But I am not trying to change their minds just voice other info which shows its not so cut and dry.

Tony Trout
09-14-2007, 10:28 PM

I am very short tempered and I think that's where I screwed up earlier today....

Diane

Trust me, you will have a different (and hopefully more positive) perspective on Sonny West after reading his most recent book. Just reading his reaction upon hearing of Elvis's death just brought me to tears and I cried like a baby because I believe I felt part of the pain that Sonny felt when he found out that Elvis had passed away.

Elvis didn't deserve to die the way he did..nobody deserves that kind of death...I don't care what anybody says but Elvis had no clue whatsoever that he was going to leave this earth on August 16, 1977...just as we don't know when our last day will be...only God knows the answer to that because He holds our lives in His hands. I have gigs (I live in the U.S.) down in Georgia tonight and I may make it back home tonight from the gigs...I may not.....but I have faith that God is gonna protect me and bring me back safely if it's His will to do so..if not, I know where I'm going if I don't make it back home tonight...

The point I'm trying to make is let's all try to get along and love one another and "agree to disagree" on certain things regarding Elvis. There's no sense in getting our shorts in a wad over a very silly thing.

I don't know if any of what I've said has made any sense and I didn't mean to "preach" at anyone...that wasn't my intention....my thoughts are just "scattered" at the moment because I have so many things running through my mind...but that's my viewpoint on things in regards to Elvis and his life and passing at the moment.

Let's all try to love one another and get along....please? And another thing...if you have a disagreement with another person about something and you see that it begins to get heated, I'd suggest taking it to PM's and hashing out your differences in that manner because whether you know it or not, it affects the people's perception of you as a person.

Diane
09-14-2007, 10:34 PM
That's the whole point of these threads KPM. All you can do is to find and share articles, interviews etc. that supports your opinions if you feel strongly one way or the other. Others can look at them and agree or not agree but should respect your feelings on the matter. I bet some don't even read half of what is posted here having already made up their minds.

There is nothing anyone can do with people who have "tunnel vision". Most posters here though I feel give others a chance.

Diane

KPM
09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
That's the whole point of these threads KPM. All you can do is to find and share articles, interviews etc. that supports your opinions if you feel strongly one way or the other. Others can look at them and agree or not agree but should respect your feelings on the matter. I bet some don't even read half of what is posted here having already made up their minds.

There is nothing anyone can do with people who have "tunnel vision". Most posters here though I feel give others a chance.

Diane
That thought has crossed my mind;)

Diane
09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I sure hope you're right Tony, I do hope that after reading Sonny's book I'll feel more kindly towards him.

As for the rest of your post..........(y)(y)(y)

Diane

ilovelvis
09-15-2007, 01:44 AM
I haven't read all of the other responses and I just read the excerpt which was a nice story. Nothing spectacular making it necessary to write a book, but whatever.

I think the thing that irritates me is after reading the 2nd excerpt, I scrolled down and saw the 1st excerpt. I started reading it and how he explains about how Elvis What Happened? was a failure because it didn't save Elvis, blah, blah, blah. But what really chaps my hide this THIS:

"By focusing so much on Elvis? addiction to medication and oddball behavior, I was remiss in not telling readers how much he meant to me. Let me state for the record ? he meant the world to me."

If anyone means the world to you, you DON'T conveniently forget to mention it in your first book. Oh, maybe because he was fired at the time, Elvis didn't mean the world to Sonny and his gang. Give me a freakin' break! :cursing:

I just need to stay away from anything that's Memphis Mafia related. :doh:

presley31
09-15-2007, 01:52 AM
I haven't read all of the other responses and I just read the excerpt which was a nice story. Nothing spectacular making it necessary to write a book, but whatever.

I think the thing that irritates me is after reading the 2nd excerpt, I scrolled down and saw the 1st excerpt. I started reading it and how he explains about how Elvis What Happened? was a failure because it didn't save Elvis, blah, blah, blah. But what really chaps my hide this THIS:

"By focusing so much on Elvis? addiction to medication and oddball behavior, I was remiss in not telling readers how much he meant to me. Let me state for the record ? he meant the world to me."

If anyone means the world to you, you DON'T conveniently forget to mention it in your first book. Oh, maybe because he was fired at the time, Elvis didn't mean the world to Sonny and his gang. Give me a freakin' break! :cursing:

I just need to stay away from anything that's Memphis Mafia related. :doh:

l agree with you, and this is the reason why l don't want nothing to do with Sonny and the MM, 30 years later and still going on about nothing.:angry:

Getlo
09-15-2007, 07:32 AM
l agree with you, and this is the reason why l don't want nothing to do with Sonny and the MM, 30 years later and still going on about nothing.:angry:

Then both you and iloveelvis are going to miss out on great stories (not necessarily all positive, but they are still great in their way).

If you only choose to listen to one side of things, then your opinions and observations about Elvis are going to be one-sided and ultimately inaccurate.

Neither of you were part of Elvis' circle, so bearing a "grudge" against a group of men when they did nothing to you is a waste of your time and energy.

And if you want "nothing" to do with Sonny et al, how can you justify posting your negative opinions about them?

There is much truth in what the MM and other "baddies" have said over the years. I cannot fathom why some people choose not to accept that.

riley
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I must say I did not like Sonny that much either for the things he had done.
I still think it was one of the last straws Elvis could have at the time.

I did read his new book, I admit I was curious and I like to read new books coming out about Elvis, so I simply had to read it.

I must say it was a more intresting book then the one of Jerry Schilling.

I had "a better" feeling about Sonny after reading.

Still don't like the fact he did write that first book while Elvis was alive but hey like so often the case, history cannot be changed anymore . Sonny can't , we can't.

We all have to go on with our lives. I do think Sonny really cared for him but circumstances made him write it I guess. Perhaps he didn't think of the unforseen consequences at the time.

Now he lives with it on a daily base, and that must be hard IMO

Getlo
09-15-2007, 07:58 AM
History cannot be changed anymore . Sonny can't , we can't.

We all have to go on with our lives. I do think Sonny really cared for him but circumstances made him write it I guess. Perhaps he didn't think of the unforseen consequences at the time.

Yes.

There are people on here and elsewhere who haughtily trot out every five minutes that old chestnut "Don't criticise what you don't understand, son, you never walked in that man's shoes" ( blah blah blah ...).

But it seems that only applies to their attitudes about Elvis Presley - not to the other people in his world who may have "wronged" him. And they turn a blind eye to all the times Elvis wronged other people.

It all seems a tad hypocritical to me. ;)

TurnpikeTaylor
09-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I spoke with Sonny West last month at an event here in the Uk, and he made it very clear he did not regret "Elvis What Happened ?" What he did regret was not choosing a better guy to write it with.

riley
09-15-2007, 02:46 PM
perhaps he does not regret he wrote that book but he may regret the result, big time.

Diane
09-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you for your posts Riley, I have a feeling I will only come away with a "better" feeling about Sonny after reading his new book, but that's better than than the almost total negativity I feel for him now right?:) I don't hate the guy but I don't respect him either.

Diane

riley
09-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Diane,

my advice, read the book. It is a well written book with lots of understanding and anticipation.

I loved the phrase when he said:

"I was perhaps not his best friend, but he sure was mine."

Diane
09-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Thank Riley, I will keep that in mind and hope for the best.

Diane

presley31
09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes.

There are people on here and elsewhere who haughtily trot out every five minutes that old chestnut "Don't criticise what you don't understand, son, you never walked in that man's shoes" ( blah blah blah ...).

But it seems that only applies to their attitudes about Elvis Presley - not to the other people in his world who may have "wronged" him. And they turn a blind eye to all the times Elvis wronged other people.

It all seems a tad hypocritical to me. ;)

I choose not to like them and thats my choice.

rawkinlvs
09-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Wrong.

His house is very decent, and he has made a living with horses and various things for a long while. The story about fans pitching in to buy him tickets is pure crap.

More lies told by people who just want to discredit him.

he had his ticket paid for by 3 fans , ellen carver, joanne livier, and grace lobianco , these woman set up a meet/greet for his book some months ago , and heard that hewanted to go to memphis but couldn't swing the cash. As for the horses , it was a failed attempt to make money/invest and one that cost him dearly , as the portugese fan club reported back in late 90's , he was claiming to others that the horses were aquestrian lines -not- he was even so dumb that he was robbed, and have you seen the home he has-it's nothing to brag about, and again the reason for the book is because he needs the cash , he even approached 8 publishers who turned him down , he finally settled for a little publisher, who would only pay him an advance of 1000 dollars and 10 cents on everydollar of the sale- the book is a failure, sales have bin lagging since it's inception, it's bin pulled from no less than 4 ELVIS magazines, and sent back to publisher, this was an attempt to cash in and get into the fans good graces- RED WEST is the real gentleman, and ano i havn't read this farce of a book, i have long given up on those rags, i have bin an ELVIS fan for 37 years and seen the man 36 times and followed his lat two tours , i have thousands of photos/negatives and concert film/origianl super 8mm/,m i'm an ELVIS fan not a sonny west, joe esposito , lamar fike and all the other leeches fan. I love collecting good photo books, cd's , film/photographs. So again getlo and trout do some research before posting.

presley31
09-15-2007, 04:50 PM
he had his ticket paid for by 3 fans , ellen carver, joanne livier, and grace lobianco , these woman set up a meet/greet for his book some months ago , and heard that hewanted to go to memphis but couldn't swing the cash. As for the horses , it was a failed attempt to make money/invest and one that cost him dearly , as the portugese fan club reported back in late 90's , he was claiming to others that the horses were aquestrian lines -not- he was even so dumb that he was robbed, and have you seen the home he has-

thanks for sharing that with us (y)

rawkinlvs
09-15-2007, 05:05 PM

your quite welcome , i will always post all factual info , even if it hurts the rep of some people.after all ELVIS PRESLEY is no longer here to defend himself.

TLC67
09-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Thank you for your posts Riley, I have a feeling I will only come away with a "better" feeling about Sonny after reading his new book, but that's better than than the almost total negativity I feel for him now right?:) I don't hate the guy but I don't respect him either.

Diane

I went in with a neg. attitude and came out with a much better one.

Tony Trout
09-15-2007, 05:50 PM
So again getlo and trout do some research before posting.

Ok...that's it....I'm outta here....see y'all....a man can't even post a **************** opinion 'bout something without getting "called out" for it....and I **************** well do not appreciate insinuating that I'm lying about Sonny West and don't know what I'm talking 'bout when I do so....you best back off....NOW!! :cursing::angry:(n)

I've done my research...Sonny has changed his opinion
of EWH and we should at least give the man a chance to redeem himself....he doesn't regret writing the book but he does regret that Steve Dunleavey made the book out to appear worse than it actually is.....and he regrets that it "backfired" on he and Red and Dave Hebler.

(See what I mean, y'all? It just seems to me that we're going downhill every day because of people like "rawkinlvs" who think they know everything about Elvis and the people who worked for him.....the Mods can ban me or whatever but I'm sick and tired of the constant arguing and *****ing that goes on here just because someone else has a different freakin' opinion 'bout something than someone who's acting like a "know-it-all" when most of the time they don't know 99% about what they're talking about.

jak
09-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok...that's it....I'm outta here....see y'all....a man can't even post a **************** opinion 'bout something without getting "called out" for it....and I **************** well do not appreciate insinuating that I'm lying about Sonny West and don't know what I'm talking 'bout when I do so....you best back off....NOW!! :cursing::angry:(n)

I've done research...Sonny has changed his opinon
of EWH and we should at least give the man a chance....he doesn't regret writing the book but he does regret that Steve Dunleavy made the book out to appear worse than it actually is.....

(See what I mean, y'all? It just seems to me that we're going downhill every day because of people like "rawkinlvs" who think they know everything about Elvis and the people who worked for him.....the Mods can ban me or whatever but I'm sick and tired tired of the arguing and *****ing that goes on here just because someone else has a different freakin' opinion 'bout something than someone who's acting like a "know-it-all".

Hey Tony
I know exactly what you mean.I would hate to see you leave the board.I always read your posts because you always make good points.The trouble is that many posters want to behave like imature babies if you offer a view that doesnt go along with theirs.Hope you stay around and just ignore the people who cant debate an issue like adults.As far as rawkinlvs goes,Welcome back memphis 77.
Jak

Tony Trout
09-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey Tony
I know exactly what you mean.I would hate to see you leave the board.I always read your posts because you always make good points.The trouble is that many posters want to behave like immature babies if you offer a view that doesnt go along with theirs.Hope you stay around and just ignore the people who cant debate an issue like adults.As far as rawkinlvs goes,Welcome back memphis 77.
Jak

I'm not leaving permanently....just until things cool down because I'm tired of the mud-slinging that goes on and the hatred that everybody feels for Sonny West? What about Red? Or Dave? No one is arguing this strongly about them.....

jak
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not leaving permanently....just until things cool down because I'm tired of the mud-slinging that goes on and the hatred that everybody feels for Sonny West? What about Red? Or Dave? No one is arguing this strongly about them.....

The funny thing is that I bet many of the people who hate Sonny dont even know that much about him or Elvis in reality.Hope to see you back here soon.Youre a credit to the board.
Jak

Tony Trout
09-15-2007, 06:26 PM
The funny thing is that I bet many of the people who hate Sonny don't even know that much about him or Elvis in reality. Hope to see you back here soon.Youre a credit to the board.
Jak

That's been my whole argument all along...we're all arguing about a man that none of us (well, most of us I'd say) have even met or don't even know personally...

Sonny's really getting a *beating* that he doesn't deserve. How do you think would Elvis feel about it if he were here??

franny
09-15-2007, 06:44 PM
That's been my whole argument all along...we're all arguing about a man that none of us (well, most of us I'd say) have even met or don't even know personally...

Sonny's really getting a *beating* that he doesn't deserve. How would Elvis feel about it if he were here??

I agree with you, Tony!

Sonny, I believe he was a good friend to Elvis! It's very easy to assume or judge someone, when one doesn't know them, at all!

franny

Miss Clawdy
09-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Trust me, you will have a different (and hopefully more positive) perspective on Sonny West after reading his most recent book. Just reading his reaction upon hearing of Elvis's death just brought me to tears and I cried like a baby because I believe I felt part of the pain that Sonny felt when he found out that Elvis had passed away.

I already have a positive perspective on Sonny West without having read his new book.;) And I also saw his reaction upon hearing of Elvis' death...I agree with you:'(

Getlo
09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I choose not to like them and thats my choice.

I thought I was on your ignore list? ;)

I'd suggest perhaps walking a mile or two in Sonny and Red's shoes ...

Getlo
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
he had his ticket paid for by 3 fans , ellen carver, joanne livier, and grace lobianco , these woman set up a meet/greet for his book some months ago , and heard that hewanted to go to memphis but couldn't swing the cash. As for the horses , it was a failed attempt to make money/invest and one that cost him dearly , as the portugese fan club reported back in late 90's , he was claiming to others that the horses were aquestrian lines -not- he was even so dumb that he was robbed, and have you seen the home he has-it's nothing to brag about, .

Wrong, sorry old chap.

If you disgaree with me on what I have said - especially since this is the first time you have responded to one of my posts - please have the common decency to do it with something called C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y.

rawkinlvs, your condescending comment, "So again getlo and trout do some research before posting" is rather puerile, and I hope Tony Trout that you don't leave because of it!

Getlo
09-15-2007, 09:20 PM

(See what I mean, y'all? It just seems to me that we're going downhill every day because of people like "rawkinlvs" who think they know everything about Elvis and the people who worked for him.....the Mods can ban me or whatever but I'm sick and tired of the constant arguing and *****ing that goes on here just because someone else has a different freakin' opinion 'bout something than someone who's acting like a "know-it-all".

Tony! Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude ...

Stay, stay, stay!!!

Don't let this rawkinlvs get to you, please! (y)

Getlo
09-15-2007, 09:22 PM
As far as rawkinlvs goes,Welcome back memphis 77.
Jak

Hi jak, what do you mean by this please?

TLC67
09-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Stay Tony! Sometimes you just gotta :rolleyes: and keep going! If I think a post is :lame:, I just ignore it :harhar: and keep posting.

KPM
09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Wasnt Memphis 77 a former member of the forum. He seemed to rub people wrong. I recall I got dressed down by him once because he did not agree with something I posted;)

presley31
09-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Wasnt Memphis 77 a former member of the forum. He seemed to rub people wrong. I recall I got dressed down by him once because he did not agree with something I posted;)

Yes KPM he was a member here too!

Diane
09-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Stay please Tony, I'll even promise to read Sonny's book with an open mind.

Diane

presley31
09-15-2007, 09:53 PM
I would like to see you stay to tony, people are going to make up there own minds about Sonny.

Getlo
09-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Oh, ok, thanks.

I thought "memphis77" was some sort of Elvis codeword greeting I wasn't familiar with!

KPM
09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh, ok, thanks.

I thought "memphis77" was some sort of Elvis codeword greeting I wasn't familiar with!
Glad to help-I can't speak for Jak but thats what I got from the reference he made.

jak
09-15-2007, 10:05 PM

I dont know what I was thinking.Please excuse my little blurb.
Jak

Tony Trout
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd suggest perhaps walking a mile or two in Sonny and Red's shoes ...

Spot on with this post! Apparently some people don't fully understand the meaning of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes".... :rolleyes:

rawkinlvs, your condescending comment, "So again getlo and trout do some research before posting" is rather puerile, and I hope Tony Trout that you don't leave because of it!

I ain't leavin'....I don't back down that easy....I'm just gonna lay low for a while....

Stay Tony! Sometimes you just gotta :rolleyes: and keep going! If I think a post is :lame:, I just ignore it :harhar: and keep posting.

I'm gonna keep posting but I absolutely will not engage in another argument with "rawkinlvs" (or whoever he is).

Wasn't Memphis 77 a former member of the forum. He seemed to rub people wrong. I recall I got dressed down by him once because he did not agree with something I posted;)

Yes, he was....

Stay please Tony, I'll even promise to read Sonny's book with an open mind.

Diane

I'm not forcing anyone to share my same views of Sonny...I just believe that after 30 years we should "live and let live" and forgive and forget....

presley31
09-15-2007, 10:10 PM
people that have been banned shouldn't be able to use another name or post anything so l really don't think it memphis 77.

presley31
09-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Spot on with this post! Apparently some people don't fully understand the meaning of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes".... :rolleyes:

I ain't leavin'....I don't back down that easy....I'm just gonna lay low for a while....

I'm gonna keep posting but I absolutely will not engage in another argument with "rawkinlvs" (or whoever he is).

Yes, he was....

I'm not forcing anyone to share my same views of Sonny...I just believe that after 30 years we should "live and let live" and forgive and forget....

Tony l see where your coming from but its up to people if they choose not to believe in Sonny or not.

KPM
09-15-2007, 10:18 PM

If some don't forgive and forget don't let it chase you away- as long as they respect you, your feelings, and opinion. At times I don't feel also that what I add is given respect by a few. If I decide to stay away it will be because of lack of respect-not because they disagree. :blush:

Getlo
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I just believe that after 30 years we should "live and let live" and forgive and forget....

Which is exactly what Elvis would've been the first to do had he lived, and some time had passed for him and Sonny to meet again!

Some fans forget that ...

presley31
09-15-2007, 10:20 PM
forums are about agreeing and disgreeing, this is one of the times we all have different views on things.

Diane
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Tony I agree, 30 years is an awful long time to hold something against someone especially when none of us can know what that person is feeling inside.

I never felt that you were trying to force your views on me or anyone else. Relax, you're more well thought of in these threads than you may realize. If there are some who don't think well of you, well just figure that's their tough luck.

Diane

ilovelvis
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Getlo;138242]Then both you and iloveelvis are going to miss out on great stories (not necessarily all positive, but they are still great in their way).

If you only choose to listen to one side of things, then your opinions and observations about Elvis are going to be one-sided and ultimately inaccurate.Who said I was listening to one side? How do you know what I've read about Elvis and what I choose to believe? I've never said Elvis was perfect.

Neither of you were part of Elvis' circle, so bearing a "grudge" against a group of men when they did nothing to you is a waste of your time and energy. Exactly. So best I stay away from what these people have to say. How the hell can anyone remember what kind of belt Elvis wore over 30 years later after it happened? That's just a MINOR detail. How can I trust that these stories are even true? None of us know if they're true or not, whether they're good or bad especially things that happened God knows how many years ago and the MM aren't getting any younger. Reading it is what is a waste of time and energy.

And if you want "nothing" to do with Sonny et al, how can you justify posting your negative opinions about them? Because they're opinions and this is a discussion board. Don't tell me you've never posted a negative thing on this or any other board you might visit.

There is much truth in what the MM and other "baddies" have said over the years. I have never said there isn't truth in stories that have been told about Elvis. But they're not getting my money. I cannot fathom why some people choose not to accept that.[/[/B]QUOTE]

You read all the books you want on Elvis, Getlo. And don't assume that I only choose to believe the positive about Elvis just because I don't want to read yet another book about him.

Getlo
09-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Who said I was listening to one side? How do you know what I've read about Elvis and what I choose to believe?

You did. You said you won't read Sonny's new book, so criticising it doesn't make sense unless you've actually read it.

How the hell can anyone remember what kind of belt Elvis wore over 30 years later after it happened? That's just a MINOR detail. How can I trust that these stories are even true?

What this has to do with this thread is beyond me.

Don't tell me you've never posted a negative thing on this or any other board you might visit.

Yes, I'll offer either positive or negative opinions on something if I have actually read the book/seen the movie etc in question.

ilovelvis
09-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Getlo
Who said I was listening to one side? How do you know what I've read about Elvis and what I choose to believe?

You did. You said you won't read Sonny's new book, so criticising it doesn't make sense unless you've actually read it. I read the two excerpts that were posted at the top of this thread. I commented on what I read.

How the hell can anyone remember what kind of belt Elvis wore over 30 years later after it happened? That's just a MINOR detail. How can I trust that these stories are even true?

What this has to do with this thread is beyond me.
Details. I find it hard to believe anyone, whether it be in the MM or whomever can remember such details in the stories they're telling about Elvis. Maybe they kept journals on the major things that happened (like opening night in Las Vegas), but some of the minor details boggle my mind. I noticed he stated Elvis played for 90 minutes in one of those excerpts. I don't know if Elvis did or not, but I do know that Elvis played only for an hour during his stints in Vegas. Again, a minor detail, but who is to say that he isn't embellishing on bigger details? No one will ever really know and I don't care to read what might or might not be true about Elvis.

Don't tell me you've never posted a negative thing on this or any other board you might visit.

Yes, I'll offer either positive or negative opinions on something if I have actually read the book/seen the movie etc in question. Which is what I did. I commented on the excerpts I read.

Getlo
09-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Marshall Terrill, like most writing assistants or ghost writers, wrote most of Sonny's tome, from conversations and the like.

With all books of this nature, facts like concert dates etc would have been provided by researchers.

In the case of concerts, dates, what clothes Elvis wore, this sort of thing is readily available. And yes, Elvis did perform some 90 minute shows. Not many, but some.

I don't know what your memory or mind is like, but I certainly can remember in detail what people were wearing when significant things happened in my life. I have memories stretching back almost 40 years, and when I find pictures of certain events, the clothing, home decors etc are always a match.

How can you trust these stories are even true? Hmmm ... how can you trust that they're not?

Getlo
09-15-2007, 11:50 PM
people are going to make up there own minds about Sonny.

Will you read his new book?

Getlo
09-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I read the two excerpts that were posted at the top of this thread. I commented on what I read.

You've read two excerpts, yes ... but not the whole book. So, I ask you, how can you know what Sonny is thinking today, in 2007? If you've read EWH, then you've only heard his 1977 thoughts.

People and situations can change a hell of a lot in 30 years ...

You can't judge a book by its cover ... nor by two brief excerpts, I'd suggest.

presley31
09-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Will you read his new book?

Nope thats the bottom line

Getlo
09-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Nope thats the bottom line

Then, as I asked iloveelvis: "So, I ask you, how can you know what Sonny is thinking today, in 2007? If you've read EWH, then you've only heard his 1977 thoughts."

presley31
09-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Then, as I asked iloveelvis: "So, I ask you, how can you know what Sonny is thinking today, in 2007? If you've read EWH, then you've only heard his 1977 thoughts."

Getlo will be accept my opinion, l not here to argue with you, l have my right to who l like and who l don't and sonny is one of them. Nobody on this forum will change mind, so please let it go

Getlo
09-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Getlo will be accept my opinion, l not here to argue with you, l have my right to who l like and who l don't and sonny is one of them. Nobody on this forum will change mind, so please let it go

How you can infer that my asking for your opinion as to why you won't read the book (or find out what Sonny believes thirty years later) is "arguing" is beyond me, truly.

I just would've thought that anyone disliking Sonny as much as you seem to do would want to have as much up-to-date info as possible to formulate your opinions ...

Suzan
09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I like Sonny, I am going to Barnes & Noble tomorrow to purchase the book, I firmly believe that Sonny got a bum rap...the other 2 I don't care for but Sonny, I think he's sincere and he was HONEST as to why he wrote a book, not all of Elvis friends have been so forth coming, I mean the man point blank said he needed the money...can't hate someone for being honest. Just my 2 cents.:)

Merry
09-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Marshall Terrill, like most writing assistants or ghost writers, wrote most of Sonny's tome, from conversations and the like.

With all books of this nature, facts like concert dates etc would have been provided by researchers.

In the case of concerts, dates, what clothes Elvis wore, this sort of thing is readily available. And yes, Elvis did perform some 90 minute shows. Not many, but some.

I don't know what your memory or mind is like, but I certainly can remember in detail what people were wearing when significant things happened in my life. I have memories stretching back almost 40 years, and when I find pictures of certain events, the clothing, home decors etc are always a match.

How can you trust these stories are even true? Hmmm ... how can you trust that they're not?

I can trust that some of Sonny's memories are not true, because a friend of mine was there for some occurances, they were journalised by this friend, at the time, as well as the witnessing of same.

Sonny wasn't there, was under the influence, (of non prescription drugs), and in one particular occurance, came up with something that he sensationalised, which was totally opposite to Elvis' other friends, who were there IN THE ROOM, which Sonny wasn't. Moreover, Sonny talks with great authority, and watching his body language in interviews, the look on his face, he has told the same stories over and over. Moreover, in my opinion, they are "tweeked" to perfection.

I listened to an interview he partook in on Elvis International recently, and he ran down his "friends" in the beginning of the interview, unnecessarily, which also did not impress me at all. He also runs down one who is in his "click", behind his back, yet publicly, he tells all how much he loves him.

It is good that you remember occurances from 40 years ago (I don't know how old you are) but I certainly remember situations from four to five years old (as would Lisa from being nine years old. It is great to have those memories, from a young age).

Getlo
09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I can trust that some of Sonny's memories are not true, because a friend of mine was there for some occurances, they were journalised by this friend, at the time, as well as the witnessing of same.

Sonny wasn't there, was under the influence, (of non prescription drugs), and in one particular occurance, came up with something that he sensationalised, which was totally opposite to Elvis' other friends, who were there IN THE ROOM, which Sonny wasn't.

Who is this friend and what is their association with Elvis?

What is this "one particular occurrence" ?

Suzan
09-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Sonny wasn't there, was under the influence, (of non prescription drugs), and in one particular occurance, came up with something that he sensationalised, which was totally opposite to Elvis' other friends, who were there IN THE ROOM, which Sonny wasn't. Moreover, Sonny talks with great authority, and watching his body language in interviews, the look on his face, he has told the same stories over and over. Moreover, in my opinion, they are "tweeked" to perfection.

I listened to an interview he partook in on Elvis International recently, and he ran down his "friends" in the beginning of the interview, unnecessarily, which also did not impress me at all. He also runs down one who is in his "click", behind his back, yet publicly, he tells all how much he loves him.

It is good that you remember occurances from 40 years ago (I don't know how old you are) but I certainly remember situations from four to five years old (as would Lisa from being nine years old. It is great to have those memories, from a young age).
__________________________________________________ _______________
Awe Gawd really? Dang it to pieces, I thought Sonny was above that? Now I'm HUGELY disappointed...I thought he would not lie, u know?
Shoot I remember stuff from 35 yrs. ago, not every little single thing, but lots of things...amazes my folks. I'm 40 btw lol.
Well shoot, so we have to take everything anyone of them has said as a lie, because it's very very very very hard to wade thru what is truth and what is fiction...seems ea. has a reason to tell "their" side and how accurate that may be who knows. Times like this I wish Elvis was around to tell HIS side. Or someone close to him like Billy Smith or Patsy would drop the PR and whatever fear or whatever is holding them back and tell it like it is, truly like it was...no BS, no spin, just u know tell it.

Getlo
09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
__________________________________________________ _______________
Awe Gawd really? Dang it to pieces, I thought Sonny was above that? Now I'm HUGELY disappointed...I thought he would not lie, u know?

Whoa, whoa.

Jess hasn't replied yet to my post asking for more details.

I would need to see proof before believing something like this ...

Suzan
09-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm confuzzled...I should not believe what? So Sonny's book that I was going to buy later today is ok and he is as nice as what I thought?

Merry
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm confuzzled...I should not believe what? So Sonny's book that I was going to buy later today is ok and he is as nice as what I thought?

I can tell you privately Suzan, if you'd like.

Kimmi

Getlo
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Is this message to me?

If so, what I'm saying is don't be put off buying Sonny's book because of an as yet unsubtantiated post on here. If and when Jess replies may make your decision easier, though.

I'd say get Sonny's book regardless; it's a very good read.

Suzan
09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes Getlo I was asking you.:D:D Thank you for your response, very good advice.:):) I hate now to think my feelings about Sonny were incorrect.
You know I am going to get the book and make up my own mind.:D:D:D:D

Yes Kimmi please do.:D Thank you. :)

Getlo
09-16-2007, 01:09 PM
A couple more comments from Bill E Burk:

"Though I began writing about Elvis in January 1955 when I joined the Memphis bureau of the old United Press International, it was not until I moved over to the Press-Scimitar that I met Elvis. That was in September 1957 when Elvis was dating Anita Wood."

"I spotted him at Memphis International Airport one Sunday afternoon and succeeded in getting him up in an airplane and even letting him handle the controls for awhile. It was two months later than Elvis, who had always been deathly afraid of flying, began flying commercially and, before he died, he owned five airplanes ..."

So, is anyone suggesting - or do they have proof - that Burk is making all this up?

Suzan
09-16-2007, 01:12 PM
A couple more comments from Bill E Burk:

"Though I began writing about Elvis in January 1955 when I joined the Memphis bureau of the old United Press International, it was not until I moved over to the Press-Scimitar that I met Elvis. That was in September 1957 when Elvis was dating Anita Wood."

"I spotted him at Memphis International Airport one Sunday afternoon and succeeded in getting him up in an airplane and even letting him handle the controls for awhile. It was two months later than Elvis, who had always been deathly afraid of flying, began flying commercially and, before he died, he owned five airplanes ..."

So, is anyone suggesting - or do they have proof - that Burk is making all this up?
Interesting thank you for posting.:)
I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing, but peeps close to Elvis claim to not know this guy...but then again they claim alot of things that are ?????able lol.
Ok well I did find a discrepency, Elvis did not ever own 5 airplanes.:)

Getlo
09-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok well I did find a discrepency, Elvis did not ever own 5 airplanes.:)

According to Burk, he has a list of several Elvis "myths", and owning only two planes is one of them ... ???

I'm not saying either way, except to suggest that slandering Burk on here without proof that he is lying is unfair to him and his mostly good work ...

Same with Sonny, to get this thread back on track somewhat.

Suzan
09-16-2007, 01:27 PM
According to Burk, he has a list of several Elvis "myths", and owning only two planes is one of them ... ???

I'm not saying either way, except to suggest that slandering Burk on here without proof that he is lying is unfair to him and his mostly good work ...

Same with Sonny, to get this thread back on track somewhat.

I agree.:D
Here's the thing though, Elvis only ever owned from what I've been told, is 3 airplanes, a boat and a bus....just listing travelling things.:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe someone gave Mr. Burke wrong info? It has happened, doesn't mean anyone is lying, just maybe misinformed.:D:D

rawkinlvs
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
people that have been banned shouldn't be able to use another name or post anything so l really don't think it memphis 77.

oh yes it's me memphis 77, i'm sure i won't be here to long , guess i rub people the wrong way when they are telling lies - especially the sonny west thing- he is broooooooooke., I'm sure the gals from chicago elvis#1 fanclub , and the portugese magazine , along with THE MAN AND HIS MUSIC have the wrong info?

Getlo
09-17-2007, 05:58 PM
oh yes it's me memphis 77, i'm sure i won't be here to long , guess i rub people the wrong way when they are telling lies -

Wow, he's actually admitting that he's the one who's been coming back on here under a false name!

Gutsy move ... maybe ??? ;)

Yeah, yeah ... sure Sonny's broke. That's why he can afford to travel around the world promoting his Elvis show!

Sure glad you won't be here long. I read some of your old threads as "memphis77". Whew! Tough reading ... :lmfao:

BYE!!!

tilly01
09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
i agree 100% with jen people that have been banned shouldn't be able to use another account its not fair on the regular members who abide the rules that states on the forums

U.S. Male
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
oh yes it's me memphis 77, i'm sure i won't be here to long

You are correct....goodbye

ksimms2
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
You are correct....goodbye

:clap: :clap: :clap: Big Boss Man!! I don't understand why people still want to sneak in when they are banned....and then to admit to even....strange....(just catching the tail end of this)

U.S. Male
09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't understand why people still want to sneak in when they are banned....and then to admit to even....strange....(just catching the tail end of this)

As Elvis once said ....."It never ceases to amaze me" :wacko:

Diane
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Thank you BBM....bless you moderators!(y)

Diane

presley31
09-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks BBM hope thats the last of them that have been banned and still here.

Suzan
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
When I ban on my forum I do so by ip...harder for them to log in as someone else.:( Just a thought mods! :D:D

franny
09-18-2007, 12:31 AM
For those of you who have read Sonny's book, do you like it or hate it?

Has it changed your opinion of him?

franny

Suzan
09-18-2007, 01:01 AM
I've just gotten it Franny, but will let u know.:D:D
I like him, I think like all of us he's made mistakes, but he was never dishonest in his reasons for doing the first book and he seems to me like a nice guy who did love Elvis and still does, to me he comes across more sincere then some of them who are still close to Pris and Lisa.

franny
09-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks, Suzan! (y)

I think he realizes his mistakes for doing that first book, as well! He does across to me as being sincere and straightforward!

franny

Suzan
09-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks, Suzan! (y)

I think he realizes his mistakes for doing that first book, as well! He does across to me as being sincere and straightforward!

franny

Your welcome! :notworthy

Yes I agree, I think to some extent the editor's and the writer's of the first book portrayed one thing to him and something else came out, he's said something to that effect. :)

Yes I've always thought he came across sincere...I remember watching his press conference after Elvis death and saying he did the book so that he could help Elvis and that he needed the money, to me he came across much more honest then the other 2.

Tony Trout
09-18-2007, 01:44 AM
For those of you who have read Sonny's book, do you like it or hate it?

I've read the book two or three times and I love it! Sonny has always been one of my favorite members of Elvis's entourage.

Has it changed your opinion of him?

Has it changed my opinion of him? Yes. Why? Simply because I believe that they (Sonny, Red & Dave) did try their best to "wake Elvis up" to make him see what he was doing to himself but it backfired on them because of two words: Steve Dunleavey. I believe the book would have been more of a positive book had they not chose Dunleavey.

meg
09-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Has it changed my opinion of him? Yes. Why? Simply because I believe that they (Sonny, Red & Dave) did try their best to "wake Elvis up" to make him see what he was doing to himself but it backfired on them because of two words: Steve Dunleavey. I believe the book would have been more of a positive book had they not chose Dunleavey.

Thats naiv to believe.It was only for the money!(n)(n)
You can't help somebody by writing a book as they did!

Suzan
09-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I think the same where Dunleavy is concerned and Hebler, why he was there I don't know he'd not been w/Elvis all that long so...
But I don't think it was just for the money though I have to respect Sonny for saying he needed the money and fessing up to that part of the motivation, but I did and do believe him when he says he wanted to wake Elvis up and have him confront the issues. I'm just not so sure of the other 2's motives.:(

Getlo
09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Thats naiv to believe.It was only for the money!(n)(n)

Rubbish!

If they were only after money, why didn't they accept Elvis' offer (that's right, a BRIBE not to publish it) which was MORE than what the book eventually paid them????

And if it was only for the money, then they were ripped off: they only made a few sheckles off it. Less than $5000 a piece in fact! Dunleavy was paid more than them to help write the bloody thing!

All of them have admitted openly that revenge was part of the reason they wrote EWH (something some fans on here conveniently forget).

Money was NEVER the issue!!!

Getlo
09-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Hebler, why he was there I don't know he'd not been w/Elvis all that long so...

Yeah, I've never been sure about Hebler either. He came across as a thug, and it was his antics mostly that got the MM into trouble with roughing up fans etc. I haven't heard much from him these past 30 years, except for his appearance in that UK documentary from Frank Skinner about a supposed Elvis shirt that Hebler was selling.

meg
09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
And if it was only for the money, then they were ripped off: they only made a few sheckles off it. Less than $5000 a piece in fact! Dunleavy was paid more than them to help write the bloody th

And you believe that(n)(n)

Where is the evidence:D

Suzan
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I've never been sure about Hebler either. He came across as a thug, and it was his antics mostly that got the MM into trouble with roughing up fans etc. I haven't heard much from him these past 30 years, except for his appearance in that UK documentary from Frank Skinner about a supposed Elvis shirt that Hebler was selling.

I know right...your very correct he did come off as a thug...@ least I always thought so and am glad to see someone else thinks so as well.:)

I heard Sonny say he needed the money, and the revenge, I don't remember hearing that, but again see you have to respect a man who is that honest, he did not hide ANY of his motive's, he was quite open about it...I have wayyyyy more respect for that then for some who've published books about their "best friend" Elvis under false pretenses. JMO As you can tell I do really like Sonny...I sincerely think the man just got a raw deal.
Maybe, just a thought, they were thinking that they'd make more from the book then what Elvis offered and it didn't quite work that way due to Dunleavy's take of the profits and prob. taking into acct. the publishing co.'s take, etc...????? And your right that is a paltry amt. considering how many copies sold after Elvis' death, prior to that not much interest.

Getlo
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
And you believe that(n)(n)

Where is the evidence:D

Try EWH, Revelations, Sonny's new ones, Guralnick ... oh, and the phone conversation Red taped.

And where, do tell, is your evidence? Just how much money did the boys make, eh? :blink:

Tony Trout
09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Ok..look...calm down....it looks like I opened another can of worms so....I will not post anymore in this thread because it just causes another argument....

It's these silly freakin' arguments that make me ashamed sometimes to be a fan of Elvis.....

franny
09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree, Tony! (y) I almost regret starting threads, when all this bickering and hostility starts up...

I enjoy reading all view points, but please stop all this arguing!

franny

Diane
09-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I agree with both Tony and Franny. There are those here that just can't seem to hold a conversation about anything without an argument.

I enjoy both your posts and hope you will continue to give us the interesting information you both supply to this forum.

Diane

Getlo
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I can tell you privately Suzan, if you'd like.

Kimmi

Why not publicly? If you have information contrary to what Sonny has said (and from an "inside source"?), why not share it here for all of us to digest ...

presley31
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with both Tony and Franny. There are those here that just can't seem to hold a conversation about anything without an argument.

I enjoy both your posts and hope you will continue to give us the interesting information you both supply to this forum.

Diane

l agree with yous, the bricking is getting silly.

franny
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Diane

Thanks, Diane! (y) I enjoy your posts too! :)

franny

Getlo
09-18-2007, 05:57 PM

your quite welcome , i will always post all factual info , even if it hurts the rep of some people.after all ELVIS PRESLEY is no longer here to defend himself.

That's funny for so many reasons.

Nice meeting you, rawkinlvs. It was all too brief, methinks!

TurnpikeTaylor
09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Regarding Dave Hebler, like some of you i`ve never liked this chap myself..........but quite why i`m not sure, or have plain forgotten!

It was a bit of a shock when he turned up in the Frank Skinner docu in the late 90`s, as he did`nt look anything like the Mr badass he has been portrayed as, even taking into account it was 20 years on since he worked for E. Sonny West often says Hebler gets a rough ride he does`nt deserve, and still keeps in touch with him.

Was it because of Hebler`s part in "What Happened" after only working for E a few short years?

Getlo
09-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Was it because of Hebler`s part in "What Happened" after only working for E a few short years?

Maybe it's because he wasn't really Elvis' friend to begin with - he was introduced to the group rather late by others in the MM. I don't know whether Elvis really liked him or not though ...

TurnpikeTaylor
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
He liked him enough to employ him and give him a car, then again he had the Stanley`s around too.