PDA

View Full Version : "This is Elvis" uncut upstairs Graceland scene

Donut
04-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Didn?t know there was a longer scene filmed for "This is Elvis" upstairs at Graceland... I have "This is Elvis" but mine is much shorter than this one.
Here?s the link for those of you that like me didn?t know it existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8x8FDuwdc

thehillbillycat
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I have seen that before. It is on the VHS tape I have.

Johnny
04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
While watching this clip brought many questions up in my mind - I hope some will find the time to answer all of them (y)

Ehh.. didn't he talk for a while to the fans at the gates before driving in?? And heck, he stops at his front door and somehow manages to get in from some backdoor (!) and walks through the kitchen (which has not the beautiful surroundings as the main entrance).

I've read that one of the producers did go upstairs - however the film crew were obviously allowed to walk up the stairs - but were they allowed to film the scene there as well?

Was Elvis' last concert not completely sold out as all his other concerts?

I know Elvis had the Memphis Mafia seal up the windows in his hotel suites, but did he have any other needs or wants?? The guys that are in the red jackets coming with Elvis' jumpsuits and putting towels (eehh... didn't he just use the one the hotel supplied??) and toiletries; they are supposed to represent Elvis' entourage; e.g the Memphis Mafia, because there were no one else but the Mafia in the red jackets - right?

And I'm guessing that the number of jumpsuits which they brought in weren't so many on that day - very likely just done for the movie.

Who the heck is the guy that the girl that plays Ginger calls first; he says that he'll be right up, but then it seems like he's in the next room - and David Stanley was supposed to be on guard in the next room that day, but he wasn't

Watching this clip for the very first time (I've seen bits and pieces - mostly the funeral clips) broke my heart :'( However I'm pretty much excited that I don't have to wait for the official release (because then I would be dead) and am looking forward to watching the movie I downloaded off YouTube after my exams :D

franny
04-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks, Donut for posting this!

I have this on vhs, but how many versions are there? My copy has everything, except the part where he's rushed to the hospital with Joe Esposito there...

franny

thehillbillycat
04-19-2007, 01:39 AM
There is four different versions of This Is Elvis.
Version One: Theaterical Version - This is the original version that was seen in the theaters and contains no overdubs during the EOT footage and contains Are You Lonesome Tonight? This version has been seen on Encore True Stories (Now known as Encore Drama).
Version Two: Is the most common version. This is the home video version which contains over 40 minutes of never before seen footage. Overdubs over the EOT footage, doesn't contain Are You Lonesome Tonight but Love Me.
Version Three: TV Version. This is hard to find now and contains everything that theaterical version has except for the two EOT footage in which Elvis says dirty things.
Version Four: Is the hardest to find of them all. This is known as the Director's Cut or Extended Director's Cut. This version is close to 3 Hrs and a half. It contains footage from a brazilian camera of Aloha From Hawaii. The songs are the same as home video version but for one thing. More camera angles that isn't seen in either the Japanese Aloha DVD or the Deluxe Edition. Contains Polk Salad Annie and American Trilogy from April 18, 1972 (San Antone, TX). More footage from NYC 1972 Press Conference. Contains more footage from Elvis In Concert including more fans comments that isn't seen and a alternate camera angle of Elvis entering the stage in Rapid City.

I have only seen version four on Ebay a couple of times. I have tried bidding on a copy of it but I am always out bidded. I don't know if this is truely a director's cut or a fan made thing. What gets me is that there is footage of San Antone that I have never seen.:blink: :supriced: :lol: :D

elvis himselvis
04-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I have seen this also before,and i think it's OK
for the San Antonio footage,it would be great if we can see that footage

orwell1976
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I have seen this footage, too but it still thrills me somehow. I know that there was a lot more filmed at Graceland and I'd love to see the footage. This is how the house really looked and should be presented to the public. And I guess, EPE filmed there too before they teared everything down to "redecorate" the house.

elvisfannie
04-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I have this tape to

srj1967
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
While watching this clip brought many questions up in my mind - I hope some will find the time to answer all of them (y)

You're being far too hard on this movie, and this opening sequence.

1. Elvis may have talked to fans on the way in to Graceland on August 16, but why would the producers want to waste time showing that? It was an impersonator only and - like the later sequences in the film - they were used sparingly, and with a minimum of dialogue. This would've slowed the opening down too much.

2. As for how he came into the house, so what if the camera shows him going in the front but coming to the stairs via the back? We get to see a little more of the house that way.

3. "Was Elvis' last concert not completely sold out as all his other concerts?" - what's that got to do with the clip? The DJ is offering tickets, and many tickets would've gone to DJs, record companies etc.

And it is a myth that Elvis' concerts were all sell-outs.

4. Of course the producers were going to put more jumpsuits in than Elvis actually used. I remember there were gasps from the audience when those sequences came on. It looks more interesting. Same with the red jacket guys: they may not have actually done what was on screen, but it looks cooler than just having the usual suspects from the MM or whomever. Also, who knows if Elvis used his own towels or hotel ones? Knowing his sometimes weird excesses, I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck to his own. I know that I always take my own towel to a hotel, I would never use one from a hotel. And I lay another towel across the bedsheets. But that's just me. Perhaps Elvis was the same ... ?

5. "Who the heck is the guy that the girl that plays Ginger calls first; he says that he'll be right up, but then it seems like he's in the next room ..." - That guy is either Al Strada or Dean Nichopoulos, son of Dr Nick. Can't remember which. And again, who cares which room he came from? It's all about making the beginning sequence move with pace, and to hook the audience.

For all its faults, I think This Is Elvis was a fine docudrama, and a proper DVD release is called for ... but get rid of the re-enactments and the impersonators.

thehillbillycat
04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Was Elvis' last concert not completely sold out as all his other concerts?

On the official account, yes Elvis sold out every concert from 1969 to 1977.

On the unofficial account and more to the truth, Elvis didn't sell out every concert. Two things was either done. One, Radio DJs would get tickets for people to win to go to the shows. It could be 10 tickets that they was giving away. But those 10 tickets were not sold they were given to the DJs. The other is and has been proven that Colonel Parker buy the rest of the tickets and give them away. I have read many books where they said that happen. Did he do that? We will never know the truth on that.

JonRomanovich
04-19-2007, 09:29 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3922/harrathisiselvis2qq.jpg

Notice Johnny Harra in Elvis' bed, upstairs at Graceland. I'd bet my *** those are really his pajamas too.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9656/harrainelvisbedroom0uk.jpg

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/7087/agg9zm.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3718/elvisbedroom0et.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4404/scottharra7ks.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8673/fadaer3ho.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1783/elvisbedroomjoe6ek.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3779/elvisbedronjoe19hp.jpg

Jungleroom76
04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
WOW!! :supriced:

I've never seen those photos before of Johnny Harra during the filming of THIS IS ELVIS!! I wonder if there is actually footage shot of Elvis (Johnny) sitting in the bed reading, or if those were just prop photos or something like that... :hmm:

THANKS A MILLION for posting those JonRomanovich!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

JonRomanovich
04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
I would assume they filmed that as a build up to what he did before going into the bathroom. Just a guess though.

Jungleroom76
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
For all its faults, I think This Is Elvis was a fine docudrama, and a proper DVD release is called for ... but get rid of the re-enactments and the impersonators.

Couldn't agree more that a proper OFFICIAL DVD release of THIS IS ELVIS is definitely warranted!! (y)

But...personally, I think the re-enactments did a fine job of filling in the gaps where official or real footage of Elvis wasn't available, so I think that if/when they decide to officially release THIS IS ELVIS, they should leave the original movie just as it was! (But release additional footage of Elvis, of course! :D )

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
I would assume they filmed that as a build up to what he did before going into the bathroom. Just a guess though.

It would definitely be interesting to see if that footage, if filmed, still existed in the vaults somewhere... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

elvis himselvis
04-19-2007, 11:49 PM
it would be great if from all the photos,who were posted footage excisist...
Does anybody know if there's gonna be a release of This is Elvis SE,which would have been released this year?

Jon Elvis
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Is there anyone who have the dvd "This is Elvis" Version Four for sale?

max
01-08-2011, 05:18 AM
http://dessaintes.webbuilder03.hostbasket.com/page134269.htm

max
08-13-2012, 08:50 PM
great, thnx