PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Jumpsuits and Their Names

Suspicious Minds
04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
The suit on the right with the fringe suppose to be the Concho fringe suit.
I don't know the names for all the suits. Otherwise someone got name wrong.

Tommy
04-15-2007, 07:38 PM
The suit on the right with the fringe suppose to be the Concho fringe suit.
I don't know the names for all the suits. Otherwise someone got name wrong.

The Jumpsuit on the right is called Fringe Jumpsuit. You can view all the correct names of jumpsuits in the Forums section here under jumpsuits.(y)

Leroy
04-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Tommy, in the jumpsuit section of the Forum not all names are correct. There are still a few fan given names instead of the original designer names. But you are right about the "Fringe Suit".

I am afraid a time of confusion will come because of the catalogue that has been released by EPE. The information in the catalogue is based on their own expertise which is zero to nothing. The original designers were left out of the project. That means I can start all over again.......

Tommy
04-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Yes, Leroy, I knew that was going to happen, with EPE. You had it right Leroy (the names for the jumpsuits) they should have consulted you.(y)

hounddog
04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
I always thought that the jumpsuits were named by the fans. So Bill Belew named then as well? There you go learn something new everyday.

thehillbillycat
04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
There is two names for most of the suits. One that is named by the fans and one by the designer. Only a few of them has one name to them. Example: The Fringe Suit has only one name to them. Example is the Phoenix Jumpsuit. The fans call it the Thunderbird jumpsuit.:D

Leroy
04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
There is two names for most of the suits. One that is named by the fans and one by the designer. Only a few of them has one name to them. Example: The Fringe Suit has only one name to them. Example is the Phoenix Jumpsuit. The fans call it the Thunderbird jumpsuit.:D

Hounddog, there are indeed two types of names just as Elvislennon2004 explained : the designer names and the fan given names. The difference is that the designer names are mostly based upon the theme that was used for the suit. The fan given names are based upon record sleeves, buildings and sometimes city names. Some of the fan given names are completely out of tune.

For instance: the white jumpsuit Elvis wore during the afternoon show in Los Angeles on November 14th, 1970, the same one you can find on the album sleeve of Love Letters; most fans call it "Apache" or "I Got Lucky Suit". But there are nom Native American signs on the suit so the name "Apache" is a very weird choice. And the name "I Got Lucky" comes from the album with the same name. But the album was released in 1971, at a time the suit wasn't used anymore. The designer name is "Nail Swirl" . Now that makes sense.

Elvislennon2004, if you are refering to the 1972 jumpsuit; that IS the "Thunderbird". The bird design on the chest, back and legs is that of a condor which is the South American "brother" of the eagle. Another name for the condor is thunderbird. It was designer Gene Doucette who named this suit. He also jokingly called this suit the "Buzzard" because the condor is in fact relaten to the buzzard.

thehillbillycat
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I have always heard it was a Phoenix never heard it was a condor. That was the suit that Elvis was going to wear at the Aloha From Hawaii show. He said it cried out Egypt.

A lady has the cape and belt for the jumpsuit and a letter saying that it comes from the Phoenix Jumpsuit.

Leroy
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
The description of the suit and how it was original meant to use for the upcoming Aloha Special was mine. It was a story I picked up several years ago from a source I thought was reliable. But I didn't know then what I do know now. On January 12th, 2006 I had a meeting with Elvis' wardrobe designer Gene Doucette and we talked wardrobe for nearly 5 hours. He explained to me what the story behind several themes of Elvis suits were. One of the stories was about this suit. He explained to me that the suit was called "Thunderbird" which is a mythological figure based upon a condor.

The mother of the boy who got both the cape and the belt probably didn't know any better. At the time Elvis performed the names of the suits weren't that important to the fans. She probably got the name from the same vague sources as a lot of other people did.

As for the name "Phoenix"; Elvis did own five jumpsuits with that name.
They were the 1975 navy blue and white jumpsuits. The "Turquoise Phoenix", "Black Phoenix", "Red Phoenix" and the "Silver (or White) Phoenix".

If you are interested in a copy of the story I wrote about the meeting I'm happy to share....