PDA

View Full Version : Circle G Ranch

HOLYSMOKE
03-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi,
I?m going to Memphis this April, and i also want to visit the Circle G Ranch. I believe its not in Memphis??? Any one has perhaps the address and some information on how to get there??
Also looking for some information on how to get to the Memphian Theatre.
THANKS!!(y)

MauriceColgan
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
The ranch is in Mississippi. Most Elvis tour operators will guide you to the area.

We were there in 2002 and the people at the "Honeymoon" cottage, now a flower and gift shop, were very kind and gave us some lovely posters of Elvis, as gifts!

Jerry Lee Lewis's place is not too far away either.

srj1967
03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I think The Memphian was demolished several years ago ...

HOLYSMOKE
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
The ranch is in Mississippi. Most Elvis tour operators will guide you to the area.

We were there in 2002 and the people at the "Honeymoon" cottage, now a flower and gift shop, were very kind and gave us some lovely posters of Elvis, as gifts!

Jerry Lee Lewis's place is not too far away either.

Thanks Maurice, but i?m going all by myself, not with a tour operator and Mississippi is huge!!! Any more details perhaps??;)

HOLYSMOKE
03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I think The Memphian was demolished several years ago ...

I don?t think it was demolished, but i believe it has a differend name these days??:blink:

srj1967
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
I don?t think it was demolished, but i believe it has a differend name these days??:blink:

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of something else.

Anyway, the Memphian is now the Playhouse on the Square, and it's on 51 Sth Cooper St.

Lisarose
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I was surfing Amazon.com and found a book called Memphis - Elvis Style by Cindy Hazen & Mike Freeman. Rather inexpensive & supposedly lists all the places Elvis frequented and such. Don't kow if you're interested in that sort of book. Have fun on your trip. I was in Memphis about 7 years ago & wish I'd been able to see & do more.

HOLYSMOKE
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I was surfing Amazon.com and found a book called Memphis - Elvis Style by Cindy Hazen & Mike Freeman. Rather inexpensive & supposedly lists all the places Elvis frequented and such. Don't kow if you're interested in that sort of book. Have fun on your trip. I was in Memphis about 7 years ago & wish I'd been able to see & do more.

THANK YOU ALL!(y) (y)

MauriceColgan
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Walls Missippi from Whitehaven Memphis. Take 1-55 South to exit 289. The Goodman road/Horn lake exit. Take the west exitand drive through the town of Horn Lake to the intersection of MS 301 AND GOODMAN ROAD. THE hONEYMOON COTTAGE IS TO YOUR LEFT, ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE INTERSECTION. THE COTTAGE GIFT SHOP IS THE ONLY PUBLIC ACCESS TO ANY PART OF THE RANCH.
THE RANCH PROPERTY FRONTS BOTH ROADS ON YOUR LEFT.

From Memphis Elvis-Style BY Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman. We met Mike at Audubon Drive in Memphis....a very nice guy. Sad how things turned out for the couple.

Excuse my typing.

HOLYSMOKE
03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Walls Missippi from Whitehaven Memphis. Take 1-55 South to exit 289. The Goodman road/Horn lake exit. Take the west exitand drive through the town of Horn Lake to the intersection of MS 301 AND GOODMAN ROAD. THE hONEYMOON COTTAGE IS TO YOUR LEFT, ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE INTERSECTION. THE COTTAGE GIFT SHOP IS THE ONLY PUBLIC ACCESS TO ANY PART OF THE RANCH.
THE RANCH PROPERTY FRONTS BOTH ROADS ON YOUR LEFT.

From Memphis Elvis-Style BY Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman. We met Mike at Audubon Drive in Memphis....a very nice guy. Sad how things turned out for the couple.

Excuse my typing.

THANKS MAURICE!(y) I also bought the Memphis Style book on the internet, just a few minutes ago!:clap:

MauriceColgan
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Well done Hardluck, You will enjoy it. It is a very handy guide! Some neat photos too.

We have a signed copy :P :) Don't miss Tupelo!

Tony Trout
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Here's a site for the former Memphian Theatre which is now known as The Playhouse On The Square:

Playhouse On The Square/Memphian Theatre (http://www.playhouseonthesquare.org/events/elvispresley.html)

elvis himselvis
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
what a shame i didn't went to the Memphian when i was in Memphis last year

HOLYSMOKE
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
OK friends, one final question::hmm:
i?m planning to drive from Memphis to Nashville.
Anyone has an idea how many miles that is, and how many hours it will take to get to Nashville?
THANKS!(y)

Elvis_Priestly
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Heres a handy wee map for you and Google do directions.
As for how many hours, put your foot down son and no open liquor bottles in the car! :P

HOLYSMOKE
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Heres a handy wee map for you and Google do directions.
As for how many hours, put your foot down son and no open liquor bottles in the car! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: (y)

MauriceColgan
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't miss the cruise on the Cumberland river. The Batman building, Wild Horse Saloon, Seanachies, and the Country Music Hall of Fame..of course :)

ruggishboo
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Hardluck, from Memphis to Nashville is about a 3 1/2 to 4 hr drive, approximately 200 miles. The section of interstate 40 you'll drive is called "The Music Highway". While Memphis is the home of the blues, Nashville has a great blues bar in Printer's Alley called Bourbon Street Blues & Boogie Bar. The house band is smokin every night! Enjoy your trip!

onlylooking
03-05-2007, 12:34 AM
What's The Batman Building?

HOLYSMOKE
03-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks all, for your information! The first place in Nashville i?d like to visit is, ofcourse , STUDIO B. All these fantastic hits were recorded there. To me, its almost the same as the SUN studio.;)
Anyway know if the studio where Buddy Holly recorded his first version of That?ll Be The Day is still in Nashville???:hmm:

elvis himselvis
03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I went to Nashville when I was in Memphis and it was 4 hours driving.
But it's worth it(y)

srj1967
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks all, for your information! The first place in Nashville i?d like to visit is, ofcourse , STUDIO B. All these fantastic hits were recorded there. To me, its almost the same as the SUN studio.;)
Anyway know if the studio where Buddy Holly recorded his first version of That?ll Be The Day is still in Nashville???:hmm:

Studio B is no longer there, unless I am mistaken ... ?

HOLYSMOKE
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Studio B is no longer there, unless I am mistaken ... ?

Yes, its still there and every day you can get tours inside the studio. Its called now Historic RCA Studio B.

srj1967
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, its still there and every day you can get tours inside the studio. Its called now Historic RCA Studio B.

Thanks. I am driving from Memphis to Nashville in July - my first time driving in the States, on the other side of the road - so will definitely take in the Studio B tour. Will also try to see the Grand Ole Opry if I can.

HOLYSMOKE
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I am driving from Memphis to Nashville in July - my first time driving in the States, on the other side of the road - so will definitely take in the Studio B tour. Will also try to see the Grand Ole Opry if I can.

Great! Hope you have a wonderful time! When you?re in Nashville, just look for Music Row, theres were all the fun is!!(y)

elvis himselvis
03-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I went to Nashville for the RCA Studio B tour and it's so great(y) :)
I think every Elvis fan should go to that studio

HOLYSMOKE
03-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I went to Nashville for the RCA Studio B tour and it's so great(y) :)
I think every Elvis fan should go to that studio

Do you really get INSIDE the studio, or is it all behind glass??:hmm:

nashville cat
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Studio B is alive and well and you actually go into the studio during the tour, it's not all behind glass.

I believe Buddy Holly's first "That'll Be the Day" attempt was recorded at the classic Owen Bradley Quonset hut studio. The studio was later bought by CBS records and used for several years, but it no longer exists.

elvisfan4life
03-08-2007, 11:01 PM
another historical place if you're interested is the Ryman auditorium - the original home of country music, Bluebird Cafe, and when you're in downtown Nashville - there are tons of places to check out - Tootsies Orchid lounge - where music artists are known to just "pop in", Hardrock Cafe, 2nd Avenue has various places you may be interested in - even carriage rides through downtown Nashville, Pancake Pantry - where the "stars" go for breakfast, Music Row where the music industry companies offices are..... just depends on what you are interested in doing. Shopping - there is a place called Opry Mills - off of Briley Parkway or for finer shopping - the mall at Green Hills........

Do I have you totally confused now????:hmm: :blink: ;) :)

elvisfan4life
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay - I have no clue - but what is the Circle G Ranch? :hmm:

Johnny
03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Okay - I have no clue - but what is the Circle G Ranch? :hmm:

That was a ranch that Elvis bought (don't know when :bangin:), with all the bells and whistles - he spent a fortune at buying it, as well as redesigning it the way he wanted it to be - much to Vernon's frustration :contract:

Here is an "article" (well ...a one liner) about the Circle G Ranch:
http://elvispedia.org/index.php?title=Circle_G_Ranch

HOLYSMOKE
03-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Elvis spend his honeymoon at the Cirlce G Ranch!(y)

HOLYSMOKE
03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
another historical place if you're interested is the Ryman auditorium - the original home of country music, Bluebird Cafe, and when you're in downtown Nashville - there are tons of places to check out - Tootsies Orchid lounge - where music artists are known to just "pop in", Hardrock Cafe, 2nd Avenue has various places you may be interested in - even carriage rides through downtown Nashville, Pancake Pantry - where the "stars" go for breakfast, Music Row where the music industry companies offices are..... just depends on what you are interested in doing. Shopping - there is a place called Opry Mills - off of Briley Parkway or for finer shopping - the mall at Green Hills........

Do I have you totally confused now????:hmm: :blink: ;) :)

Many thanks! I think i have a wondeful time up there!(y) (y)

elvisfan4life
03-10-2007, 07:43 AM
That was a ranch that Elvis bought (don't know when :bangin:), with all the bells and whistles - he spent a fortune at buying it, as well as redesigning it the way he wanted it to be - much to Vernon's frustration :contract:

Here is an "article" (well ...a one liner) about the Circle G Ranch:
http://elvispedia.org/index.php?title=Circle_G_Ranch

aaahhhhhh Thank you. Don't think I've ever heard of it. :hmm:
Thanks for the info.! :)

Tony Trout
03-10-2007, 02:26 PM
aaahhhhhh Thank you. Don't think I've ever heard of it. :hmm:
Thanks for the info.! :)

Here's some info taken from the wonderful Elvis-History (http://www.elvis-history.com) website:

February 8. 1967:

During a horse-buying expedition in Mississippi Elvis comes across Twinkletwon Farms, a 160-acre cattle ranch marked bya lighted sixty-five-foot high white cross near Walls, Mississippi about ten miles south of Graceland. The property is for sale and Elvis decides almost immediately to buy it making a $5,000.00 down payment toward a $437,000.00 purchase price on this date. Renamed the 'Circle G' (for Graceland) the ranch will immediately become a new home for Elvis's growing herd of horses and over the next few weeks Elvis and the guys will adopt the communal cowboy life as Elvis undertakes extensive and rapid-fire improvements to the property.