PDA

View Full Version : "Elvis Presley will Never Amount to Much", Time magazine.

MauriceColgan
01-30-2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A24056

Please read story on the link. :)

jadedragon61
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Rather funny. Of course, the majority of "reviews" are nothing more than paid ads - so we may surmise that, at that time, the colonel didn't have Time on his pay-off list.:)

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
The subject is getting a lot of attention. :)

Mr.Aron77
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Can't think why. Who was to know that Elvis Presley would become E-L-V-I-S known the world over.

People making a lot out of nothing. They said man woulden't walk on the moon, we can't go dredging up every piece of information speculating that the feat may not be achieved, seeing as it has been.

The gift of hindsight!

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Elvis Presley's voice instantly appealed to us with discerning ears. I knew instinctively I was hearing something special. Millions of us did, that's why Elvis was propelled to stardom by his original fans.

Hindsight had nothing to do with it.

Mr.Aron77
01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I presume then thats why Sam Phillips left Elvis go the first time!

Maybe you should have been around Memphis int he early 50's, you'd of made a fortune!

Hindsight has everything to do with reviewing articles like that!:clap:

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Sam needed the money to expand his business. The Colonel knew he was made! So did RCA.

Checkmate. :clap:

Mr.Aron77
01-31-2007, 07:06 PM
You are sadly mistaken, as Sam Philips left Elvis leave Sun Studio's, before recalling him at a later date. Elvis originally went in and recorded privately and Sam was seemingly unimpressed.

Checkmate? What age are you?

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
It's Elvis Presley the artist we are discussing not the truck driver.

We never heard the truck driver's recordings till much later. In my case the 70s
Checkmate and Match.

I'll be 65 on the 10th February 2007.

Mr.Aron77
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Well Im sure a man of your talents would have spotted Elvis's talent even as a truck driver.

You are really imature for someone that old.

I should maybe rephrase my question;
What is your mental age?

Chekcmate and match? Warped!

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Not to add fuel to the flames here but we are looking at an article with the benefit of hindsite, Elvis himself didn't know how his career would go after he left the army. Although a lot of people don't give credit to the Colonel back then he was responsible for keeping Elvis in the spolight and changing the direction of his career (for better or worse).

There have been many stars who have faded who have had undeniable talent.

Matt

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Well Im sure a man of your talents would have spotted Elvis's talent even as a truck driver.

You are really imature for someone that old.

I should maybe rephrase my question;
What is your mental age?

Chekcmate and match? Warped!

Obviously 03 is back.

Mr.Aron77
01-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Not to add fuel to the flames here but we are looking at an article with the benefit of hindsite, Elvis himself didn't know how his career would go after he left the army. Although a lot of people don't give credit to the Colonel back then he was responsible for keeping Elvis in the spolight and changing the direction of his career (for better or worse).

There have been many stars who have faded who have had undeniable talent.

Matt

Good point Matt.

Hindsight is a great tool as I stated at the beginning. Didn't expect people to take it personally.

No one knew where Elvis's career would go after the army - very good point.

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Who said I take what you say personally? Only you, 03.

Those of us accustomed to the human voice at it's best knew Elvis would last, even if Elvis was unsure of himself.

[deleted by moderator]

Suzan
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
I think the Col. was good for Elvis in the beginning, but jmho, Elvis' should have gotten someone new in mid 60's...
From all I've read and heard these 2 men had a complex relationship...and to me @ times sounded like a love/hate thing.
Time back in '56 said they didn't think Elvis would last, just goes to show how much anyone knew back then.
From Elvis interview upon his return from the army, he sounded uncertain of his career, but to b fair, it was like right after he returned, I think they should have given him more time to get used to being home and sort of survey the situation, etc...:)

Albert
01-31-2007, 11:00 PM
I can totally understand that musicmagazines in 1956 (!) didn't recognize Elvis as the huge billiondollar industry that he would become later.

MauriceColgan
01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
In 1957 I bet my modern jazz loving Brother - in - law that Elvis would last far more than six months more.

A few foolish magazine reporters and newspaper journalist were still saying Elvis and Rock 'n' Roll would not last much longer in 1957.

I guess millions of Elvis's original fans were a little more far sighted back then.

After all in 1956 Elvis had become a millionaire, from record sales, TV appearances, and a movie.

With his extraordinary voice, looks, and personality how could he fail?

Just as Sinatra made a fool of himself, so did many more people back then, but we knew they were mistaken. Do we take any notice of newspapers hacks now?

The fact that a few reporters could think a talent like Elvis's would not bloom longer than 1956 just goes to show how little they knew about music.

I do not dispute they thought it. It's there in black and white.

Mr.Aron77
02-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Suzan and Albert I agree.

It is easy with hindsight to say people were wrong at the time.

People often claim things; at least this guy has an article to prove what stance he made; many more people, tv execs, record producers etc.... Who said Elvis would never amount to much can and have hid behind a veil.

A veil created as people only heard them say these things, no actual proof exists.

Sinatra lambasted Elvis, and then went on to praise him later on.

I must Google the guy who wrote the article and see what other stuff he covered - Google is great for finding out all that info.

MauriceColgan
02-01-2007, 12:24 AM
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...id=oid%3A24056

Very nice to see the article getting a lot of attention I'm sure the editor of the Memphis Flyer will be pleased. He kindly printed a letter of mine in the magazine some time ago.

His remarks about the letter can be found on google :)

In 1957 Frankie Vaughan a British singer said "Elvis just can't sing"! Reported in the UK's Manchester Evening News. Frankie starred with Marilyn Monroe in a Hollywood movie. Also as a Teddy Boy singer in "These Dangerous Years" set in Liverpool.

Suzan
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Suzan and Albert I agree.

It is easy with hindsight to say people were wrong at the time.

People often claim things; at least this guy has an article to prove what stance he made; many more people, tv execs, record producers etc.... Who said Elvis would never amount to much can and have hid behind a veil.

A veil created as people only heard them say these things, no actual proof exists.

Sinatra lambasted Elvis, and then went on to praise him later on.

I must Google the guy who wrote the article and see what other stuff he covered - Google is great for finding out all that info.

I totally agree...a lot of people said thing's about Elvis back when he started, yet to hear some of them today u would never know it....